UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Default Cutting out dairy

I have been mildly lactose intolerant all my life, I was worse when I was little, but I have been able to have dairy in moderation for years. For the last few weeks my bf has been away so I have been feeding myself (not a good idea) I hate cooking and am not very good at it.

I met my mum in Cardiff today for some Christmas shopping and she actually said I look sick. Now I know my diet hasn't been its best recently, but I didn't think it was that bad. I have been having a tough time at work, and my depression is starting to set in again which is always followed by comfort eating.

She thinks that my dairy problem is linked to my depression and think I should go lactose free for bit, but I have got so used to having dairy in my diet (I eat quite a lot of cheese), I'm not sure how I would manage or feel cutting out all my dairy and would it assist my weight loss at all if I did?

Any advice would be great and some nice dairy free recipes would be gratefully received.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

I'm not from the UK and I do not have any dairy free recipes for you but I cut dairy out of my diet by about 95%. I rarely eat cheese anymore and when I do eat it I have a very tiny portion. Once in a while I might have a bit of ice cream. I never drink milk. I do not like the taste of cow's milk. I take a calcium supplement every night before bed to be sure I am getting my calcium needs taken care of. I also get calcium from my diet from canned fish and I recently found out that some vegetables are good sources of calcium.

I hope this helps. I find it easy to live a dairy free life. My skin has really cleared up since I gave it up and my sinuses are clearer. I feel better too. I do eat eggs. I don't consider them a dairy even though they are sold next to the milk and cheese at my store.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #3  

I am not dairy intolerant, but when I last lost a lot of weight I cut out cheese completely. I couldn't eat a small bit of cheese, I'd eat loads of it and its so calorific (yummy though) and it made a huge difference, I lost over 5 stone.

I went off plan, got pregnant ya da ya da, but didn't gain all my weight back and I honestly think the fact I didn't go back to cheese helped!

I think it will make a difference, try cutting it out for a month and then readding it slowly, then you'll know whether its worth making that big change to your diet forever.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I am lactose intolerant, and it's something where you do need to cut it out entirely. Some people have a period of a few weeks when their symptoms flare up immediately after cutting out a food they don't tolerate. I can't remember whether I got that with dairy, but I got it going off gluten and going back onto gluten (and weirdly enough I'm actually fine being back on gluten once it settled down, but I think gluten is a strange one).

Dairy turns up as a minor ingredient in a lot of things, so there's a bit of a learning curve at first. Most vegetable margarines contain dairy, for instance. Pure marg is a good one to try, the supermarkets all stock it and there are several varieties (olive or soya are the ones I prefer). There are lots of plant milks about, although soya milk is by far the cheapest. Try different brands if you don't like the first one you try, they do vary, and try using them in different ways. I will use soya milk in most things, for instance, but I don't put it in soup which is to be frozen and reheated as it will curdle unattractively, and for some reason it tastes cardboardy in hot chocolate so I go for rice milk there.

Cheese substitutes are expensive and not that many people like them, although I hear they've improved. You can do a certain amount of cheating with nutritional yeast and other ingredients. I have the Uncheese Cookbook, and while I still haven't tried that many recipes from it, the tofu ricotta is quite good and I make the fake Parmesan all the time. But you pretty much have to learn to cook in a way that excludes cheese.

Look around vegan websites, they usually have lots of advice for new vegans which you can use.

By the way, you mentioned that your depression is setting in again. Do you have Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Can anyone also give me a few pointers of things that maybe I shouldn't have that I wouldn't expect and any new ingenious ways of resisting temptation?

Last edited by roobear; 12-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote