UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/242/168

Height: 5ft 7

Default Doc just prescribed orlistat!

Well thought I would do things properly this time and went to see my doctor this morning regarding my weight and to maybe get some ideas on how to control my appetite. She has prescribed me orlistat ( xenical) to take along side my diet and wants to see me again in a month to see if it has had any effect!! What I dont understand is how she will know if it has had any effect as I have already been losing weight steadily since I started my diet ( 30th may 11).
She advised me to walk for at least an hour a day and to cut bread out of my diet altogether!!! Maybe beacause that is mainly what I lived on. So I am marking this day as the 1st taking orlistat and also making note that I have lost 10lbs in 18 days without it. Will let you know how it goes
niknaknat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #2  

You can't really compare the next 10 days to the previous 10 because you always lose a lot of water weight at the beginning and weight loss goes in a 4-5 week cycle for most people. I would say if you can control your appetite better with it, then it is a success. Personally, I lost over 200 pounds without pills.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Congrats on your weight loss so far
I haven't had bread either for the last 2 weeks and so far I find it very easy I'm trying to get into a schedule of healthy eating. I don't know what that pill is, but if it gives you hope then I wish you good luck!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #4  

Thankyou for your replies To be honest I did not go to the doctors with a view to getting pills...just some advice on how to curb my appetite and how to approach a healthy weight loss that I will be able to maintain. I have lost weight before through crash dieting and then binged for weeks, each time putting all the weight back on and more besides.
In the u.k doctors are now paid a bonus for each paitent that they advise and help to lose weight so maybe that had something to do with her offering the pills to me, she also said my BMI put me in the obese catergory I do feel that I can do this without them but I am willing to give them a shot
Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You can't really compare the next 10 days to the previous 10 because you always lose a lot of water weight at the beginning and weight loss goes in a 4-5 week cycle for most people. I would say if you can control your appetite better with it, then it is a success. Personally, I lost over 200 pounds without pills.
An absolutley AWE INSPIRING weight loss...congratualtions
Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

I have a box of orlistat and i have never taken them.
the side effects are bad if you eat fat you will have an accident if you get what i am saying and its orange!
They only help against the fat you eat they will have no effect or weight loss if you eat carbs and suger.
You have done well on your weightloss so far and your doc is talking sense with the cutting out bread and walking.
Sorry I dont want to burst your bubble with the drug but it only helps if you eat alot of meat and fatty foods.

Good luck, as you have done well without them your carry on doing very well xx
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #7  

Thanks marie
I do appreciate any advice I can get from other members. I would say that my diet at the minute contains very little fat, mainly salad,fruit, vegetables and chicken breast so I would think based on what you have said and based on what the instruction leaflet says, they are not going to be of any use to me!
As for the side effects....I really would rather not
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

@QuilterInVA bloody **** 200lbs is amazing good on you i am so jealous!! How did you do it?

@niknaknat your diet sounds pretty good nice and healthy you should drop lbs no problem.
my problem is booze i love to socialize and wine is the norm, toped with being lazy dont help, so i am going to get this butt in to gear and walk/exercise more.

xx
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie81 View Post
@QuilterInVA bloody **** 200lbs is amazing good on you i am so jealous!! How did you do it?

@niknaknat your diet sounds pretty good nice and healthy you should drop lbs no problem.
my problem is booze i love to socialize and wine is the norm, toped with being lazy dont help, so i am going to get this butt in to gear and walk/exercise more.

xx
Me too...the booze that is!! I am dying for a night out but I have banned myself for at least another 4 weeks or so
Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

I will just say- I was on Orlistat for a little while, I stopped because of other issues. I only found myself having 'accidents' if I went over the recommended fat intake of 15g per meal. It's a really good way to kick-start yourself to eating healthily, because you are FORCED to make good food choices; if you don't, it's a very, very unpleasant consequence.
SpangleMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #11  

Niknak

Your diet sounds great and I have changed back to just that food as Dukan has not suited me too well. In fact I had the opposite effect you seem to get from Orlistat! You have done so well. Congrats!

I really must get back to an hour a day walking (power with weights or nordic poles). Am going for the bingo wings and tummy.
Beverley8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #12  

Thanks for your replies ladies!! xx I decided not to take the orlistat as I seem to be doing quite well without them. I only saw a loss of about 1lb last week and was a little suprised at that as I had really been good, 1200 calories a day and at least an hours exercise a day consisting of walking and dvd's. My next weigh in is tomorrow morning so I am hoping for at least a 2lb drop this time, its a real slow process but I suppose I have to be patient, after all, it took me 6 years to gain the weight...its not just going to drop off in weeks
Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

You know, you can always keep the Orlistat in reserve for if you need it later. Sometimes just knowing that the med is there is a great comfort and can see you through something, particularly if it's mind-related. And if you are using dieting software, you should be able to see how much fat you're getting with every meal and whether or not you're at risk of accidents - which do sound like a pretty awful side-effect, especially since no one needs added humiliation while dealing with a weight problem.

Congratulations on getting started, and on being sensible and checking in with your doctor. You sound very motivated and that's great.

I'm a relative newbie too, I've lost 11lb so far (at least I think I started at 140, I didn't get the scales for the first month) and am really happy. I'm losing 1lb a week and thrilled about it, and I'm already getting people telling me how much better I look. Slower weight loss is more likely to be lasting, remember. Don't panic on the weeks where you don't lose as much as you want, or even if you don't lose at all or the scale goes up a bit. It's all normal, bodies are strange things and especially when female hormones are thrown into the mix (if you have some sort of cycle, that is). As long as the overall trend is downwards, you're doing fine.

1200 is quite low for someone of your height and weight, by the way, especially with an hour a day's exercise. If you're thriving on it, with enough energy and not particularly bothered by hunger, then fine, but if not, try going up a bit. You'll still lose weight, but you'll find it easier to stick to the diet and feel healthier.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote