UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5ft2

Question Setting Goals

Whats the best way to set goals?
Weekly?
Monthly?

I know i want to get to 9st11 / 137lb but i don't know what a realistic amount of weight to expect to loose in a week/month.

Any help much appriciated !
Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #2  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

I think it's recommended to lose a maximum of 2lb a week. Obviously you can lose a lot more than this in a week, especially if you have a lot to lose, but i think that the general consensus is if it comes off too quickly then theres more chance of it going back on. Also, if you are totally restricting yourself you'll end up messing up your metabolism (not good) and you'll probably have a harder time sticking to your new way of eating. You want it to be for life so you need to make changes you can stick with.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SuperChick; 06-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.
SuperChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

That's individual. I, personally, don't advocate the xx pounds by xx date or xx lbs each week type of goals, because they can set a person up for frustration, disappointment, and ultimately feeling like a failure simply because they did everything right and the weight didn't come off as fast as it "should have".

The maximum healthy weight loss each week for most people is 1-2 lbs. But, that doesn't mean a person who wants to lose that much each week is going to.

I instead suggest goals that revolve around things that you can control. Actions not reactions. Action goal: I will exercise 3 days this week. Reaction goal: The scale will say I've lost 2 lbs this week. Action goal: I will plan my breakfasts every day this week. Reaction goal: The measuring tape better say I lost an inch on my arms!

As to how often or how big of a goal... that's up to you! I've got a goal to stick to my plan for 99 days without excuses. But, I've also got daily goals: drink more water, eat 5-8 servings of veg & fruit, stay within my points allotment.

I have weight milestone goals, but they have no time line attached. My next is to see 299 on the scale, but I don't know how long that's going to take. One thing is for sure... if I follow my plan for 99 days -some- good will come of it. And I'm going to select a (non-food) reward for myself at the end of 99 days before starting a new goal.

If you do pick a xx weight by xx date goal (people keep motivated it different ways!) , just do keep in mind that even if the scale doesn't show that number by the time that date rolls around that you're still successful and that you've still accomplished a lot!

Wish you all the best with your goal setting! =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #4  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Lovely, I really like the idea of action / reaction goals. Setting yourself something you can actually achieve i.e. 3 gyms sessions a week over something you cannot control i.e. lose 3lbs this week is a much more healthy way to keep your self esteem and motivation levels up. The feeling of expecting a set loss on the scales but not achieving it can be very demotivating when as you say, you've still achivied something and are successful.

It's really hard, but don't let the small box in the corner of your bathroom make you feel like a failure and knock your esteem for the day. Your weight fluctuates daily for all sort of reasons (water intake, weight of the food you've eaten, time of the month) - so i'd only weigh once a week; it can become all to addictive to jump on the scale at any given opportunity but i don't think it's very helpful to your overall well being! I know other people differ on this but that's just my opinion. Good Luck!

Last edited by SuperChick; 06-10-2011 at 06:55 AM.
SuperChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I very much agree with Lovely. I try to set goals that are based on the process instead of results. My goal is to work out six times a week, which I can control, however I can't control what the scale or measurement tape shows.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote