UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 03:18 PM   #46  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

Carol, that post could have been written by me!! My feelings go out to you I am feeling so like that myself. My husband isn't away but he works long hours, luckily he has been home by eight this week and I have been able to go swimming so I shouldn't feel this bad.
Come on someone cheer us up!!
I know we could go look at that site again
Old 02-28-2002, 04:08 PM   #47  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Walking Economy..

A guy is walking down the street with his friend. He says to his friend, "I'm a walking economy."
His friend replies, "How's that?"
"It's like this -- my hair line is in recession, my stomach is a victim of inflation, and the combination of these factors is putting me into a deep depression."

Hello girls, cheer up lovey's, you'll be all right. You have been a tower of strength to me for the past four weeks so far, so maybe I can help you. I feel a bit tired right now too, and although I hate to admit it, I have found a little 'healthy too' get up and go thingybob. I have just got home, made myself a cuppa, drank a big glass of water, I hate the stuff.hate it I tell ya, and am munching on a bag of raw carrots. I feel less tired already and as soon as I have posted this I shall be off upstairs to tackle the washing.
I put the little ditty above, as I received it in an e-mail toay and it quite tickled me...LOL!
Right I have just re read what I wrote, and it probably makes no sense what-so-ever, but what I'm trying to say is...you can do it, and you are definitely ok, I know this, cos without you all so far, i think I would have eaten most of NJ by now...
Take care all of you.
Chris.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:10 AM   #48  
Theres no stopping me now

Quick update. I am feeling a bit better this morning. I need to sort out my sleeping. I think if I can conquer the tiredness I can beat the other problems. But I am sick of being in bed by 10pm. But if there is no other way round this at the moment I'll just need to live with it & get on with it. I am not giving up. I am going to lose this weight - but does anybody know why it has to be so hard ............

Carol
Old 03-01-2002, 03:14 AM   #49  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Hiya One and All

Hmmmmmm! Well.... I have got over the tired ALL the time feeling AND the irritability but I still get very tired in the evenings and I am usually in bed before 10.

Carol - it sounds to me that you are feeling a bit like I was at the beginning when I was really trying to exercise 'beyond myself'. I'll try and explain what I mean.... right.... um....... we have all cut our calorie intake right down and we are exercising more than we have probably ever done in our lives... and they tell us not to go below our basal metabolic needs when we are cutting calories...
so have you balanced off the calories you are burning against what you are taking in? It could be that if you are eating (say) 1500 cals a day and you are burning off an extra 600 cals a day in exercise, then you are only being left with 1100 cals - which just isn't enough and you are left feeling drained and tired and snappy.

I am definitely NOT an expert on all this but I am currently trying to approach this from a slightly different way - the way I look at it there are two separate issues here the first is to get slim and the second is to get 'in shape'. (We all know people who are slim but out of shape - and there is Steff who is/was 14st but in superb shape). For me personally being slim would be nice, but being physically fit is more important. So I think that if we were to go about our normal old lifestyle (with a little activity) those 1500 cals would be sufficient to lose weight, but because we are adding in additional activity we do need to eat a little extra to compensate.

So - basically if I have a day when I burn 300 cals or less in exercise then I just stick to my basic diet - BUT if I burn more than that then I eat more - so like the other night when I went swimming, I went to FitDay.com and calculated that I would be burning off an extra 500cals on top of my normal exercise level for the day - so I ate an extra 300cals to partially compensate - it meant that I could exercise MORE, because I had the energy and that I didn't feel TOTALLY exhausted at the end of it.

OK - I have been a bit of a bad girl (dietwise) this last week and have probably gained weight, but I am sure you are the same as me with all this exercise, you can feel a difference in your body as you are becoming more toned and developing muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat.

One thing I have noticed is that if I have a banana before I go on my walks and then have my lunch when I come back then I feel better than if I have my lunch before I go. I haven't got a clue why!

I think the Rescue Remedy has helped with the irritability as well.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:31 AM   #50  

Gonna to buy some of this Rescue Remedy at the weekend. Is it mainly the health food shops which stock it ?

I think you have probably hit it on the nail Sarah that I have been using far more cals than I have been taking in, and that my body can’t cope – hence the reason it is making me feel like I do & my constipation (urgh!!) problem.

Fridays are usually quite quiet days at work & I am planning on sneaking into Fitday.com later to work out how many cals I should be eating, my basal rate & how many all this exercise is burning. I need to figure out a balance between the two. It might even mean for a few weeks I need to count cals instead of WW points, but I am so determined to win this battle I can be flexible. Like you I want to be fit & in shape and thinner would be nice too. But I need to get my body in a decent shape before I worry about the size of it. I’m sure you all know what I mean there, can’t think of a sensible way to write it all down.

I too find that I prefer walking before lunch. I usually have my banana about 11am & then walk at 12 for 30 minutes then lunch when I get back. Had lunch before I went on Monday & was out of breathe all the way round the business park – not sure if that is related or not………

Thanks for all the words of wisdom

Carol
Old 03-01-2002, 03:50 AM   #51  
Consistency + Balance

You can get Rescue Remedy at some proper chemists (not places like Superdrug) and, of course, health food shops.

That is EXACTLY how I get if I eat before I exercise... plus I get kind of light tummy cramps.

Let me know how you get on at FitDay.com, Carol.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:44 AM   #52  

Well I’ve been in Fitday.com and according to that my calorific expenditure is as follows.

Basal – 1738
Lifestyle – 1075
My Exercise – 350

Took my exercise as being a 30 minute walk & 40 minutes of aerobics. Which I do most days. But the days I go on my exercise bike it will be up slightly.

This is all starting to get very confusing. How many cals in a WW point??? I have no idea. Think I will be spending tomorrow morning looking for a calorie book to see if I can count I all out for a few days and balance out what I eat with what my body is using.

Carol
Old 03-01-2002, 06:09 AM   #53  
Consistency + Balance

Carol - if those were my readings I would be looking at eating 1763 being equivalent to your BMR of 1738 plus half the calories you have burned over the basic 300...

So - if you had burned off 500 cals then under my scheme you would need to eat 1838. (Take away the first 300 cals of the exercise then eat half the remainder...) Daft - but at least I don't get the mood swings any more.

I have got a very old and battered copy of Slimming's calorie listing - if they are still producing one then I would recommend it - mine is very comprehensive.

Sorry - I don't do WW so I don't know how many points there are - (the fact that the rest of the world do everything in calories is one of the problems I have with WW).

Bloomin' 'eck - this all sounds muddled - hope you can make some sense of it.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:26 AM   #54  

Thanks Sarah was going to aim at 1750 cals for the first few days & take it from there. Not to far away from your calculations.

If you don't get mood swings on that system then I am going to try it. Will need to buy a calculator as well for all the difficult sums.

It all made sense to me.

a very smiley
Carol
Old 03-01-2002, 06:44 AM   #55  

I haven't used Fitday for nearly a year and I just logged back in to check my BMR. The last time I used Fitday I was a stone lighter. How depressing

I'm definitely having a down day today. Hate these mood swings!

My BMR is 1673 so I am going to aim for 1500 calories a day.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:55 AM   #56  
Consistency + Balance

Phoebe - don't go under your BMR - you start burning up muscle tissue if you do.

Carol - when you have got your calorie listing book its worth taking the time (doesn't take long) to sit down and work out a few things in advance. For instance I have got a few set breakfasts like boiled egg and dry toast (175 cals), poached egg on toast (175), 1 rasher of well grilled bacon on a small roll (175 cals), 2oz porridge or cereal (around 200 cals) with 100 cals worth of milk or yoghurt. My weekend brekkies are either 2 rashers of well grilled bacon with a poached egg with dry toast (total 280 cals) or 2 rashers of grilled bacon between 2 slices of bread (300). I have got these and some basic lunch type things (favourite sandwiches, etc) written down in the back of my book so its really easy to just pick one of those to fit in with your evening meal calories.

Good luck!!!!
Old 03-01-2002, 08:03 AM   #57  

Slimming magazine NOW say to eat 1800 cals a day if you are 3 stone over weight this pleases me as low cal diets just make you cold tired HUNGRY narky etc in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:25 PM   #58  

That recuse remedy is amazing. Works instantly & calms you right down. Why don't they advertise this stuff - or do they and I was just too stressed to notice.

yours floatingly

Carol
Old 03-02-2002, 03:41 AM   #59  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

Welcome to the RR brigade

you know I wondered what was wrong with me.........I haven't had any since I came back from my mams last weekend, now wheres that bottle of mothers little helper
Old 03-03-2002, 03:14 AM   #60  
Consistency + Balance

Isn't it amazing stuff??? I don't think I would have got through the foster training without it. I've introduced the rest of my training group to it - so you might want to think about buying shares in the company who make it!!!
Closed Thread