Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #1  

Default Overweight And Taking Clomid

I have been trying to get pregnant for several years now. My doctor put me on Clomid . I have taken 6 month therapy of 1 pill 50 mg dose on days 5-9 of my cycle. He has upped to dosage to 2 pills of 100mg total on days 5-9 of my cycle. Has anyone ever taken this medication. DO you think losing weight would make any difference??

SHelley
Shelley1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #2  

Sorry, I don't know anything about that medication. My daughter has PCOS and takes metformin for that condition. One of the nice side effects was a reduction in appetite and she has lost 20 lbs in 2 months. Others that I know with PCOS are also overweight and have been told by doctors that weightloss will help them get pregnant. I'm sorry, I know that is not of much help, if you are not suffering from PCOS.

cheers, cj
CeeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #3  

I also take Metformin. I take it 2 times a day. It is suppose to help you ovulate more is what the doctor told me. He also told me it will help to balance the blood sugars if i become pregnant. I had a 9.11 oz baby 7 years ago . Also, something to do with keeping me from having a miscarriage too.
By the way what is PCOS
Old 04-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #4  

PCOS is Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It means that instead of ovulating every month the ovaries form a small cyst, so you don't have your period. (that is a very condensed version) There is a PCOS group here somewhere if you look at the list, you will see it. If you don't have regular periods then your doctor must feel that you have this condition. Metformin is usually perscribed to women with PCOS, because it usually gets the periods started..it has something to do with insulin resistance. I'm not sure really how it works. HTH

cheers, cj
Old 04-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #5  

I have a period it is just every couple of months or a month here and there. He said it was to increase ovulation for me so i don't really know.

Shelley
Old 04-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #6  

hmmm Well I have reached the limit of my expertise. I know that the metformin does cause the ovaries to produce an egg instead of a cyst so that is what you want. You might want to ask some questions of the PCOS people, they might be able to give better advice.

cheers, cj
Old 04-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Hi , I was like that too .. infrequent periods, always thought it was my thyroid, but it is possible I was insulin resistant too... I gave birth to a 10 lb 12 oz in 1978... lol
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #8  
Chunky Mama of 4

S/C/G: 235/235/150

I have had to take Clomid for my last 2 pregnancies. The first time I got preggos on 50mg the 1st month, the 2nd time it took 5 months and was up to 150mg, and with the last baby I was on 200mg of Clomid and still did not ovulate until I took an HCG shot also. I have PCOS and was also on 2000mg of Metformin per day. Not to sound bad, but I have never heard of a Dr keeping you on the same dose of Clomid for 6 months!!!! Statistically if you do not conceive in 3-6 mo on Clomid it is an ineffective drug for you. Are they drawing progesterone levels to make sure you are even ovulating??? Please PM me...I am very knowledgeable on this and would love to help you.
Alicia
alicia9178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #9  

I took clomid for my pregnancies and it was fine. I saw no increase nor decrease in my weight. I was about 190+ lbs when I took them. I was on them for 3 months. I agree with alicia though, that if it hasn't worked for you, then there is a high possibility it won't.

Oh and my kids are now 25, 23, 22, 13, 11, 10 plus a 1 yr old granddaughter. Without clomid or other helpful medication, I probably would have been childless.
Lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #10  

Hi there, I did take clomid for both my pregnancies and I too was overweight both times. I had no problems......... only two beautiful healthy babies. The first one I took one pill thru one cycle and was pg. The second time it did take a bit longer... 5 or 6 mos and Dr added a second med with the clomid. I'm sorry I don't remember what that was... but my babies are now 21 and 25 yrs old. My problem was not ovulating also. I expect you are keeping a temp chart? if not I would suggest that....... but ofcourse recommended things may have changed since my last pregnancy. Best of luck to you, Shirlee
Shirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #11  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Yes, losing weight and being healthier will help you get pregnant. I know I spent years trying to get pregnant and then I decided I was gonna "get healthy" I started working out, eating heallthy, and I lost 25 lbs in 3 mos. Then, I got pregnant. Of course, after you have a baby you will also want to "get healthy" to be a good role model
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote