Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 09:21 AM   #1  
Working My Way Happy!

Default Wednesday Hump Day

Hi Everyone,

How did everyone do on the first day of the new year? I did great. I printed off a calendar for the month and for each day that I eat healthy and don't eat junk food I am going to cross off that day so I can keep track of how I am doing. I crossed off yesterday and my scale is still down. I am so happy with that. I am going back to my meeting tomorrow night. It will be the first one in quite awhile. I am taking megan to gymnastics class today and to the buffet for lunch. But don't worry I will stay on plan. I am planning ahead and I am going to have fruit and a salad only. I want to reach my goal and for everyday I cross off my calendar is another day closer to my goal.
I have to go get ready for the day and do some errands. I am back on track with work also. Now my house and life are back in order I can get back down to some serious work. I haven't done much in the past week.

How is everyone else doing? Christie and Penny how are you two doing?

Summer how was weigh in? I hope it went okay for you. I am dying to know how it went for you. You have been working so hard all week so you won't lose your status did you make it? Let me know.

Sherri
Old 01-02-2002, 11:37 AM   #2  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Talking

Hi, all!

Happy New Year! Happy New Attitude!

My weigh in isn't until next Monday Instead of designating an alternate evening during the holidays, my chapter "closed" for three weeks...beginning with a feast at a local all-you-can-eat after everyone weighed in.

One contribution I hope to make to that dear bunch of people (and they are dear!) is to make suggestions for rewards that don't involve food. Every week, the one who loses the most gets a food basket. When we have contests, the prizes are kitchen gadgets. I mean, it never ends. I thought Taking Off Pounds Sensibly (in my chapter) meant that we should shift our focus away from food and more on life. Of course, this is just my opinion, but the constant focus on food as a reward is something I've done my whole life and I joined TOPS in order to stop that behavior.

Oh, well. I'm going onward and upward. You gals are a tremendous inspiration. 2002 is going to be our year!

Blessings!
Old 01-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #3  
Working My Way Happy!

Claire,

You are so right about shifting our thoughts away from food. You go girl and make some changes (if you can). I found out that the people in my group do not like change so be wared before you try and change them. But I think you are right so I back you up.

Some suggestions are something from the dollar store. I have gotten some plaques from there that are motivating that I have used for prizes of contests. Also what we do every week is put in a gift in the basket for the loser of the week. Most people put in a dollar. But others put in other things. If it is food then it is healthy like fruit or non fat jello or something like that.

They can also give away a free months dues for contests as well. That is what we have done in the past. They really like that and are surprised when they get it. They never know what they are getting when they win a contest.

Hey I am so proud of myself today. I had to come here and brag. I actually went to the buffet today with my daughter and I had a salad with some fruit like I said I was going to do. I was so proud of myself and told my daughter age 3 1/2 that I was proud of me for not having junk or anything else there. She said mom I am proud of you to. You don't know what that meant to me. I was so happy with myself I could burst. See I knew I could do it. All I had to do was put my mind to it.

Claire keep up the great work you are doing. Sorry you haven't had a meeting. We always have a meeting at the holidays even if it is just a weigh in on a different night. That way we are eligible for the no gain holiday charm. You can't even earn that if you don't weigh in before a holiday. Sounds like you need to be leader and make some changes. I think you would do a great job. Elections are coming up in march. You should consider it.

Sherri
Old 01-02-2002, 02:30 PM   #4  
A new Mom

I won't say I did Great yesterday, but I didn't do that badly. Today so far has been totally op, and I don't see myself going off as tomorrow is my OB appt and I have the 28 week glucose challenge. They told me to stay away from carbs today and just eat protein and veggies and that's what I'm doing.

My chapter closed for 3 weeks too, but I don't think I've gained at all in the past 3 weeks -- which is a real blessing seeing as the previous 2 weeks I gained more than 4#! We will see how I do on the 8th (our first meeting back).

Mostly the prizes in my chapter are things like sets of pretty note cards, scented candles, bath and body stuff, sometimes hand crafted items etc. Now we have 2 men so we are trying to get some men's prizes too, but that's not quite so easy for most of the women so it takes more thought. If anyone has ideas for men's prizes I'd love to hear them.

Lara

Last edited by Lara H; 01-02-2002 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:51 PM   #5  
Viva la vida loca!

Default Thanks!

Geez, you all are making me blush!

Sherri, thanks for the vote of confidence! I've been a facilitator for two Artist's Way workshops and trained to be a Weight Watchers leader, so if anyone wants to work on self-esteem, I'm your girl!

And I certainly understand resistance to change. I've been in the computer industry for ages and getting people to learn new technology can be like pulling teeth! My thought is to provide something positive as a reward -- like a gift certificate toward a new pair of walking shoes -- which would also work as a men's gift. Or some of those nice ThorLo walker's socks -- they're wonderful and at $7 a pair, are worth it.

The people in my chapter are nice and supportive, but they seem a little lost. And any leader who has been around for years and still hasn't come within 40 pounds of KOPS status shouldn't be leading, but listening. The leaders are supposed to set good examples for everyone else, right? I think our leader sort of "fell into" the job because no one else wanted it.

My doctor wouldn't know a healthy weight if you hit her in the rear end with it, so things could use a bit of upgrading!

Lara, your ideas are great! I really like them. Thank you!

Sherri, you must be so proud for your little person to notice how hard you're trying. I'm proud of you too. I have an awful time at a buffet. I don't take much each trip, but I make SEVERAL trips fooey!

Have a great afternoon, all. You make the trip to the web worthwhile!

Blessings!
Old 01-02-2002, 04:40 PM   #6  
donna p

Hi all - some of you might remember me but I have been mia for several months. Last year was not great for me and by the time dec. came I had gained nearly 10#. I am off to a good start today and am really trying to stick with it. One of the things I think I must do is post here way more often - daily would be best but several times a week is a must.

My tops is a tues so it has been several days since my weigh in too and the 8th is my next weigh in. I was not good over the holidays but I have a chance to work at it the next few days and hopefully the results will show. Even my face and skin looks icky after putting all that junk into my body.

I was on the treadmill yesterday and today and hope to make that a regular part of my routine even tho' I really didn't want to do it and felt awful while I was doing it....but....I will stick it out.

I'm sure we can all inspire each other and I know I always do better when I hear from you gals. Eleni you are definitely my savior.

So.......may the year 2002 be our year!....

donna

255/265/175

Old 01-02-2002, 07:43 PM   #7  
Mother Hen

Hi
It is good to see the board active.
Sherri You are doing great. I won't even recognize you this summer you will be so skinny. I know you can do this.

Waterbaby-- Are you a KOP. I understand what you are saying about your leader but it is very hard to get people to be part of the board. And without a board you have no chapter. I have held every position and I am far from being a KOP. I am now the weight recorder and no I don't set a good example. But I believe in TOPS and I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep the chapter going. You are probably right when you say your leader has the position because no one else wanted it. Do you hold a position? If not elections are right around the corner and I am sure your chapter would love to have someone volunteer. You sound like you have a lot to contribute and would be a big help. It takes a lot of work to keep a chapter going.

Donna Welcome back girlfriend. I knew you would be popping up. I also am up but I am looking forward to doing much better this year. It must be cold up your way.

Lara When is the litle one due?????

Well it is about my bedtime. My weigh-in is tomorrow night and I am not looking forward to it

Have a great day tomorrow
Old 01-02-2002, 09:25 PM   #8  
A new Mom

I'm due in 11 weeks (it's going by quickly now!) March 21 is the day the Drs finally settled on, although I thought I was several weeks ahead of that date and I am measuring 2 weeks ahead. So we will see.

I've done really well being op today (didn't have much choice in the matter as I have that glucose challenge blood test tomorrow and was told to only eat veggies and protein today). I even did my pilates pregnancy routine 3 times AND went for a 20 minute walk - of course I only went about 1/2 the distance I used to do in 20 minutes, but at least I got out there.

I hope everyone else had a good day today too.

Lara
Old 01-02-2002, 10:48 PM   #9  
Working My Way Happy!

Lara,

You must be so excited about the baby coming and getting so close to that day. I know I was. Do you know if you are having a boy or girl yet? I found out then I prayed they were right. They were. I was so happy to have my girl I always wanted. Do you have a preference. I know we all want them healthy. I think you are doing great. How much weight have you gained so far? That is awesome that you are doing exercises and walking and all. I am sure it is very cold up there in canada. I know it is cold here only in the teens and I am freezing. We still don't have any snow yet. I am thankful for that though. I hate the white stuff. Keep up the great work. Have you started decorating the nursery yet? It is all so exciting isn't it?

Eleni,

You will do fine at weigh in. Just remember it is a new year and whatever the scales say tomorrow night think of it as a new starting point for you for the new year. Last year is over and we are starting fresh again. I know I am going to make tomorow nights weigh in be my starting point for me. My scale is down from the last weigh in I went to. But that doesn't mean anything. Sometimes when my scale is down their scale is up. So we will see. But I am doing this. And I know you will to. Hang in there and keep going you are doing great. You have what it takes to do this I know you can. You will be a different person when I see you to and I can't wait. We will both be skinnier then last summer. I agree with you that claire should run for leader. I think she would make a great leader. She has a lot to offer her group and us. We are lucky to have her here with us.

Donna,

Hey girl welcome back. I was hoping you would return. Don't feel like you are alone in this. I gained back all my weight and now I am starting over AGAIN. But it is a new year and we have new goals set. You need to set some small range goals for yourself. I set them for 10 and 20 lb losses. And I am going to reward myself each week when the scale drops with a trip to the gym. Now that I am finally going back to weigh in I can start that. I had to wait until after the holidays anyway with things being crazy and all to. Starting monday we will all be back into our routine here and it will be easier. Set goals you can accomplish and for things you really want for yourself that don't include food. I have always had a hard time with that. I usually reward myself with food. But no more. Hopefully I can keep it up. You can do this and we are all here to help you along. I was only 20 lbs from goal now I am 40 so see you are not alone. I wish I had only gained back 10 like you did. I think that is great. You can lose that in no time with a little effort and hard work on your part and with us cheering you on.

Claire,

Thanks for the support of confidence in me. Yes it did feel great to have my daughter tell me she was proud of me. I got to mark off another day on my calendar tonight. I didn't have any junk again today and ate good.

I am going to bed now. I am freezing. I have my heater on and waiting for me.

I will chat with you all tomorrow.

Good luck at weigh in for those that have meetings tomorrow night.

Sherri
Old 01-04-2002, 11:33 AM   #10  
Viva la vida loca!

Talking Chapter

Hi, all!

About my recent posts --

I am no where NEAR KOPS status, although I wish I were

I may be wrong, but IMHO the health of a chapter depends on the health of its members, and I was referring only to the chapter I attend, not to TOPS as a whole or any of its members.

TOPS is a fabulous program. That's why I go week after week. I intend on volunteering and making a contribution, in hopes that my chapter can get away from so much focus on food and more focus on living.

Please accept my apologies if I've offended anyone; while I certainly don't have all the answers, and am grateful for the benefit of everyone's wisdom. I am very passionate about helping myself and others become the best we want to be. I really treasure being a member of this thread and applaud everyone's success. My enthusiasm is just that and certainly not intended as criticism.

I also truly appreciate the votes of confidence. I'll volunteer in March and we'll see what happens, eh?
Keep up the good work, all!
Closed Thread