Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 11:24 AM   #1  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Default Low Carb October Challenge 2001

October Scary Challenge for S-U-C-C-E-S-S

Well it is that time of the year and time to buckle down for the winter, and prepare our selves for the holidays. I know that the events of September 11 had many going off plan or thinking that there is so much more to life that dieting, and weight loss. Yes you are right. I too ate bad and blamed some of the stress on that. I cried for days and still have times where I will think of the loss of human life and cry. The one thing that we can do for them is to keep on praying and help whenever we can and how ever we can.

We also need to try to focus on our selves. The events make us realize how precious life is. And that is what I want to focus on: The preciousness of life. To regain control of our selves and to be able to make the most of our lives.

I want to add first and foremost, that this is a personal challenge. You can do any or all of it. You know what is best for you. Do not expect too much for yourself or you will leave yourself open for failure. That is not the purpose of this. It is to help you set some goals and guidelines for the month ahead. One thing to do is to look back at last month and see where your problem areas were and then make that your goals for this month. Work to the areas that you need to concentrate on and the rest will come easier. If water was the hardest thing the make that your first goal, and such as exercise too. This is to better your self and these are your goals. To be defined by you.

DIET

In our variety of diets we all have one theme. S-U-C-C-E-S-S
S-SIMPLY
U-USING
C-CARB
C-CONTROL
E-EVERY
S-SINGLE
S-SERVING
Success is what we are doing and success is what we are striving for. If we read the book last time then great. We understand our diets a bit better. If not then lets go back and read the book again. The control of our carbs is the key to insulin control. The insulin is a major hazard to us. We all know how good we feel when we are in control of our diets. We all feel more energy and healthier. The headaches are gone. The acid indigestion is not there. The joints are feeling better. So why are we not always good about following the diet plan? The problem is habit! I am one of those that succumb to the habit, as well as many of you. It is know that it takes 6 weeks to break a habit, and if you have quit smoking then you know that the urge will never go away. It is lurking there somewhere. We need to make a conscious effort to pass on the foods that we know are bad for us.

The plan??? Yes I have a plan. The plan is to before you put anything in your mouth to think about it. Is it good??? Is it what my body needs? Is it just comfort food? If it is comfort food ask your self do I really need this or am I just eating it for the fact of eating. Do I want to feel the guilt that eating it brings? Do I want to feel the pride that not eating it feels? Do I want to get this extra fat off? I saw a saying on a young boys t-shirt. Pain is temporary Pride is forever. I have used that as my motto several times and think of it often. I liken it to the dieting. The pain: the turning away from the foods that do me no good. The pride, well that is self-explanatory. If you do go off plan then get right back up and start again the next meal. The cravings are less, the faster that you get back OP. The longer you wait the harder it is. Do not flog your self for eating off program. Just look back and say I can do better. There will be times that you cannot avoid but eating off program. Well take that in consideration and plan for them. Make the damage less that you have to load up on protein foods and have a few snacks in your pocket, like a protein bar. That should go a long way to helping you.

I need to reexamine my goals. Are they realistic? Are they short-term goals and long-term goals? Focus on the short-term goals and make them reachable. The long term can be very large and hard to see and think that it can be reached. So have them, but keep the focus on the short term. Reexamine them frequently, as things change we may need to readjust them. Goals are flexible, and changeable. We must remember that. But with goals we have some thing to look forward to we have a destination in life to reach for. We have meaning in what we do. Keep your goals in mind write them down and have a copy in your purse or wallet so you see them frequently.

EXERCISE

I am so glad that everyone has increased their activity somewhat. And activity is better than none. The benefits are great and so that I will not go on and on about this one. You all know what it is you have to do. Lets get out there and do it. Move a bit more this month. Get some wiggling music on and dance while cleaning the house. The soup can be stirred while shaking the booty. And the clothes get folded faster when having a jiggle in the butt. Go up the steps a few extra times everyday this month. Do just a bit more. If you go to the gym well make it 5 min longer on the treadmill or 1 more set on the weights. That little bit extra will make a difference.

WATER

Well as I have said before this is very important. You need to drink at least 1 oz for every 2 lbs of your weight. I mean water not coffee. Diet drinks are ok but the artificial sweetener may stall you. I have a problem drinking them and so do many of us. So if you are stalled, then try to keep away from the artificially sweetened drinks. Or if you are having a hard time staying OP then try dropping the artificial sweetened drinks. Drink drink drink.

PAMPER

Did you pamper your self last month??? I have to admit that I did not. I got out my journal and then promptly forgot it. This month we need to reward ourselves. We need to remember whom we are doing this for. It is not anybody else but our selves. We need to do this so we can feel good about ourselves. So why wait till we are at goal to pamper our selves. If we want the nails done get them done. If we want our hair colored then do it. (Pam the burgundy color will go well in your head) if we see the dress that we have wanted to get for a while why wait. Do it. And make that your reward for doing so good. Even if you did not do well, do it as you are you, and deserve the pamper. I want to see that the pampering is being done!!! So lets get out there and pamper!!!! I want to see some new hair, nails, shoes, dresses, pants, and shirts!!!!

Remember that this is the month of Halloween. The candy will pose a great threat to all of us, (me included) we need to buy stuff we do not like and ask DH to hide it (providing he will not eat it) this is the start of the hardest times so we need to be strong and march through this month. We need each other for strength. So all post as much as you can, do not hesitate to call for help before you give in. If you are having a great day do not hesitate to post it, which may be the incentive that another needs to keep OP.

Last edited by nasus40; 10-01-2001 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:24 PM   #2  

WOW!!! That was just the encouragement I needed. Wondering if I could jump in and join. I started back on low carb today and this is a time I need LOT'S of friend's. Every time I get back on this my mind try's to get me to do other thing's like cutting back on what I eat(if I could I wouln't be here tonight),slim-fast,etc. I lost 27lbs on low carb eating and lost ALL OVER not just in some places. Hope I can join in here looks like what I need to get through this rough beginning.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:07 AM   #3  
Work in Progress

I will reply to the chall later, however wanted to welcome Butterfly00!! You will love it here. SO much energy and support.
You will see we have a numbered thread, journal and challenge threads jump in any where
Old 10-02-2001, 04:40 PM   #4  
gbo

Butterfly00.... before I check out for a while let me extend my welcome and tell you that you have come to the right place. These are the greatest people you could ever hope to know. They will lovingly and with good humor kick you in the rump when you need it stand with you in difficulties, advise you well and cheer you on. Here you will make solid gold friends and I can tell you as hard as it was for me to reach out( that is not one of my best skills) I am grateful every single day that I did. When you can't do it for yourself someone will come and raise you up and lift you to where you need to be. I know. Usually alot of hands aare working and together miracles happen! You shall see for yourself!!! You just can't help but suceed.
Pam
Old 10-02-2001, 05:31 PM   #5  
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!

AAAAAAAAAAAWESOME advice. I read it TWICE!!! Thank you so much!

I BOW to the queen of Low Carb and enthusiam! Great, GREAT information and sharing nasus!
I personally have many large water bottles that I have placed through-out the house and at work. (I even take one to the Y and have one in the CAR!!! I drink them cold....warm...hot..whatever! They are as important as you said! Something sooooo simple...yet people just don't seem to "get it." Sheesh people...it is an easy thing to do for ourselves. It is my MAIN goal for October! Call me "Potty Girl"...cause if you need me...THAT"S where I will be!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2001, 09:04 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Welcome butterfly. did you know that the butterfly is the symble for individuality and independance in japan?

What a wonderful screen name. Yes you certainly can join us. we love new people. jump in and post as much as you need and we usually are checking in at different times of the day. so some on is here quite ften.

I just had to read the challenge over again. It did come out good. i did not think of it as i was writing it. I just hope that i can live up to it. I know i will. I am PPWAV (protien power with a vengence) I guess you adkids are AWAV! this is going to be a kick but month and we will get past the last day with flying colors.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:56 PM   #7  

Thanks all for the welcome. I was worried to check back thinking everyone would say this is a closed club. My girl's made me a cake because it was my anniversary saturday and I thought I can't eat this I'll have to write about it so I told them I had a piece last night(their dad took a BIG piece so they think we BOTH had some). I did great today. I'm ok once I get past the 2nd week on this. It's getting cold here and realized the jean's must of shrunk(ha ha) when I tried them on. YES the water is a big part of this. When I'm drinking it I do really well. I'm soooo ready again to get this weight off. When my clothes cling I don't want to wear make-up or do my hair because I feel so blah!!! and I'm not going down that road again. 'nite all and again thanks
Old 10-05-2001, 05:06 AM   #8  
Work in Progress

bringing this up
Closed Thread