3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Daily Check In - Long and Mini Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/81088-daily-check-long-mini-goals.html)

cacmsc 12-01-2006 06:48 AM

Marie I will ck that out and I think I will order it from santa what a better gift could there be than something to keep me healthy. Oh diamonds would be nice but not happening here. Thanks for sending the rain my way. We are to be in the 60's today knocking us off the record for a December. Also going to drop and send us into a whriling wind storm I guess could be rain or snow right now rain. But for this time of year unseasonalbly warm. I will take that. Penny thanks every little bit helps and nice to see the square be a little nicer. Still more to go to keep me happy. I want to thank you for the soap ideas. My friend and I were going to make cookie jar recipes for folks but then someone asked her at the bank you are making us soaps right. So we decided why not. So we will start them maybe next week. With this warmer weather I keep thinking I have lots of time before christmas. In reality I don't. I'm holding off on the baking a bit too. Less time to get into them I figure. Last night I made a stir fry with chicken breast sauted and then added in lots of frozen veggies and a little asian sauce which came with the veggies. Wasn't bad and I will take the rest for work today. Penny it wasn't easy for the family to transfer him over to us I felt really sad for the mom. Because he just fit in so well when he arrived home from program with his friends whom live in the house. When we all left he said see yah later. She will be taking him home for the holiday. I gave her a hug and said I know its not so easy and thats okay to feel this way its normal. The brother said to me I am having a hard time with it too. I said its better to beable to pick a place that is available than be in an emergency and have to take whats there. They agreed and no this is the best way to go. I will keep close tabs on things but know my guy will like this house and how lucky to have 3 friends living there too. This is one of the harder parts of my job future planning and placement. Well enough of that its friday and the christmas party at one of my group homes. Then on saturday the girls and I have a lovely arts and crafts show to attend its pretty big. We will do some shopping afterwards as well. I need to get a grip on wrapping though before those little people start snooping in my bags here. Well I plan on having a healthy choice day up until the pizza at the christmas party so I will save cals for that. I will ck out Amazon Marie thanks for your help. Is there a way I can ck online to see if anyone sells it any cheaper. You are the computer wizard and all. Penny I will send off my recipe for the bath salts. Goes great with a bar of soap for a nice gift. Judy hope your doing well with your traveling.

Marie 12-01-2006 01:52 PM

Hi Carol, I did check and there wasn't anywhere cheaper. What I liked about the maker's website is that it had a 30 day return and free shipping. I like being able to return stuff.

Penny, eeks, I wouldn't want my hubby in the midwest at the moment. I'm sure it's the system that dumped on us starting on Sunday night. We're just starting to come out of the deep freeze. We had freezing fog this morning, delaying the flight out.

I exercised this am. I still wasn't really wanting to but I did it and I'm glad I did. I sure go through periods where it's a struggle to get to it. But I did 3 miles walking and 2 miles jogging.

Tomorrow, Kodiak and I start school. The donkey dog will learn to walk on a leash - it's my new year's resolution. We signed up for classes starting in January, but we're having a private lesson tomorrow to solely work on his pulling my arm out of the socket. The trainer sounded very confident that we could fix that immediately. Ha, they haven't met donkey dog. :)

Marie

cacmsc 12-02-2006 07:04 AM

Marie you made me laugh about the donkey dog. Your too funny and I hope the trainer is able to help. We got part of that storm but before the winds and rain we had 67 degrees not bad for 12/1/06 in New York. I got caught up in the rain before a Christmas party. My future SIL was driving from Boston and said it was pretty hairy. Penny hope your hubby is safe and sound by now. Really windy here this a.m. and the temp is only around 30 something quite a drop down. Now its more like 12/2 should be not that I missed it at all. Glad the work week is over. I did attend a group home Christmas celebration didn't do real bad with the eating but did venture a bit off track thank goodness I ate a eng. muffin for breakfast and my chicken stir fry for lunch. The Italian family brought two whole trays of cookies. They were so great looking I had to have some. They at least made them sliver dollar size not too bad in size, justification of course, then little mini chesse cakes really small. I had pizza but at least I stuck with seafood pizza and veggie. No pepperoni! All in all I am sure my cals were up so I will be on my good behavior today. But it is the holiday season and one day off isn't too bad if yah jump back in. Thats the trick I think. So I am jumping! Out for the day with the girls we are going to a Arts and Crafts show its a judged show usually really nice stuff. I am hoping to get a bit of Christmas shopping done today. I made my list this morning of what cookies to bake for the family and friends. I have to make some kind of soon as I have to ship them out I forgot all about the time frame etc. But I will seal a meal them up to stay out of them and put them in the downstairs fridge. Safe keeping at least out of sight. Hope you all have a nice day planned. I am going to decorate the tree and house sunday I think. Take care. No scale til monday. My increasing my water intake is going well.

Marie 12-02-2006 10:39 AM

Hi Carol, oh, you're getting me in the Christmas mood. I think that maybe tomorrow we'll get our tree and put it up. The base is having their annual Christmas party tonight but we're not going. I HATED it the last time. I've tried a couple military "parties" and they were painful to say the least. It's a good thing I'm not in the military or I would have been court martialed a long time ago for not following orders. But they're having the children's Christmas party tomorrow, complete with Santa. So we're going over so DGS and see Santa for the first time. I will post a picture tomorrow evening. So as long as we're in town, seems like we should get the tree and start rolling into Christmas. Oooooo, I like that idea.

Carol, I just read a very good article on MSNBC.com about 5 common dieting mistakes. Very good article. I think the one that got me (and often "gets" me) is the one of a taste here and a taste there, thinking it's not much. Here's an excerpt:

"Think 25 calories a mouthful. Assume that's what every bite you take is worth, says Elizabeth Somers, a registered dietitian in Salem, Ore.
“So many people do well during mealtime, but forget about the extra food they’ve had along the way — the handful of nuts before dinner, the taste-testing of cookie dough, the food left on their kid’s plate," says Somers, who wrote “10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman’s Diet.” "Every bite adds up.”
Four bites a day is 100 extra calories. In a month’s time, that’s nearly a pound of extra weight."

It's the last sentence that got me. They suggest chewing gum while cooking, etc. The link to the article is http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14802078/ I recommend looking at it. I think reading those types of articles help me keep on track.

Donkey doggie and I start training in 2.5 hours. Trying to get him out the door without the other doggies will be painful. Blizzie and Goldie will be so bummed. But I'm excited. At least DH doesn't go to work until noon (Guard weekend - Christmas party weekend...). He can help get donkey/Kody out. BTW, Carol, I also refer to him as the word that starts with JackA$$ too. He fits the description so perfectly. Ah, but I love him tremendously. My goal took a turn this weekend with him. I'm going to stick with the training religiously and next winter, my goal is to teach him skijouring. I have all the equipment because I was going to train Blizzie to do it. But at 10 months she was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia and could do it. Kody has always been a donkey and I never thought we could do it. He's a perfect dog for it physically, so now I really have a long term goal. I haven't told anyone except the new guy at work (BTW who is GREAT!!!!!). I figure if they know Kody they'd laugh hysterically. But we're going to do it. BTW, skijouring if you don't know is harnessing the dog and cross county skiing behind the dog. Sort of like sled dog but just the the dog and person. It's going to be awesome.

I did 3 miles jogging this morning because I need to walk Blizzie this afternoon. DGS's mom didn't feel well yesterday so she might not be able to go this afternoon so that means I'd just take Blizzie because I wouldn't be able to work with Kody and walk Blizzie. But alone time with my angelic sweetheart (aka Blizzie) sound pretty nice. :D

That's it for now. Keep your fingers crossed on the trianing. I really want this to work.
Marie

penpal 12-03-2006 01:04 PM

Marie - I hope Kodiak (aka donkeydog) did well at doggie school. That skijouring sounds like fun - I've seen it on TV one time. The dogs look like they enjoy it too. Thanks for sharing the diet insights about how each bite counts - that is so true. I'm sure it's not so much our meals that make the weight go on as it is the little nibbles here and there. We were at a Christmas party last night and I made sure to have a protein/fiber shake before we left so I didn't have as much appetite. I picked out a few of the healthier things on the buffet and then moved as far away as possible from the food! It worked well and I didn't overdo it. I had about half a glass of wine - NO eggnog - and kept refilling my glass with water.

Carol - My DH got out of Chicago a couple of hours ahead of the storm and he said coming in to Chicago was the hairiest landing he's ever had - and he flies a lot. They also had to de-ice the plane he left on. Strangely enough, the weather had been in the high 60's while he was in Toronto. Your Christmas baking is making my mouth water! So far I've only made some mince pies. I think I may not make too many cookies this year - my DH and DS don't need all the extra calories either. There are not too many 'health' cookies that taste good. Their favorite is Basler Braun which is a swiss cookie made with chocolate, ground almonds and kirsch schnapps. Very high calorie and addictive! They also like Honig Leckerli which is about the highest concentration of calories in a small package that you can get! My DH is Swiss and his Mom taught me how to make all those Swiss Christmas specialties.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend - have a good start to the week!

Marie 12-03-2006 02:35 PM

Hi all, Kodiak did very good with his private lesson. He learned a lot (aka I learned a lot). Afterwards, we went for a walk around the 2 mile block and I didn't get pulled at all. I set up an appointment for another training on the 18th. He shows potential. YEAH!!!!

I'm in a munchy mood. Bad sign for the day. I did ride the exercycle for 6 miles and then I'll walk the doggies after we get back from the Santa visit.

Penny, the cookies sound good. I was perusing my Taste of Home and found many that sounded yummy. But I'll make none. It's harder to cheat if I don't make them...
Marie

cacmsc 12-04-2006 06:26 AM

Oh Marie it sounds like a blast with the puppy. I am getting one in the spring. I told the sister inlaw to put away what she planned on giving me for christmas for a puppy. When I get ready some cash will be available and I too will be saving for a puppy. I think we are going to get a cocker spaniel or some type similar we will see. It is a bit cold this weekend but still good shopping weather. I did gain a little over the weekend but I had a christmas party and went out for dinner. Even though I was careful inbetween not careful enough could be some salt but I need to be better. My new set goal is 50 miles for the month starting today. I looked back in my journal and was there at that level in April. I went shopping bought healthy stuff and now its time to be watch myself a bit closer. Its tough I have a Christmas party wed. at a group home then my work party friday night at least it is not a buffet this year so more monitored eating I think I ordered some chicken and mushroom dish. Marie thanks for that site and the info. I will ck it out. I have a doctors appt. today so I am off from work going to fit in highlighting my hair and working out at the gym breaking the ice with a whole new out look. Penny thanks for the soap supply company I am putting in an order today. Doing a sample one so I get a lot of variety. I did buy my poppy seed and lime so I am ready to make some soap. I went to a couple of craft shows this weekend. One put on by the Peace Council my daughter does vol. photography for them. She was there shooting away and caught me with her camera talking to a woman about her herbal sauves. I did buy some dried lavender as well to add to some soaps. I have to get myself moving this week on projects no time to be messing around. I guess my christmas shopping is underway and doing quite well with it. I have to pick things up for my mom to give to the children so 4 gifts to choose there. I am going to get them all something creative from the craft store from her. Use my coupon to get something nice. I haven't started the baking but need to pretty soon as I need to ship out some cookies to Hawaii. Well Judy hope you had a nice visit with your mom. Bet she is proud of how well your taking care of yourself these days? Have a great day. I am counting every bite today! And working out today is the beginning of my 50 mile goal for December.

Marie 12-04-2006 12:50 PM

Hi Carol, sounds like you're well on your way with the holiday preparations. We did buy a tree yesterday and tonight we're going to decorate it. The trip to the base was okay. My pictures didn't turn out because it was too dark, but I think the ones that the military took of DGS with Santa will be good. They'll email it to DH this week. So I'll post it when I get it.

Doggie training was good/bad yesterday. Kody walked like a prince but refuse to sit. I lost me temper and yelled and he growled. It was ugly. Today we're going to skip the sitting and just have a good walk session to try to undo the damage. I feel horrible for lossing my temper. On the positive side he hasn't pulled my arm out of the socket since before the training.

I jogged 3 miles and walked 2 before work. BTW, I was up to 127 miles of walk/jog in November. Not bad for a month with foot surgery. There were 10 miles of cycling too. Too bad I didn't lose any weight with it. I'm definitely at a plateau. But as long as I'm not gaining, I'm a happy camper. As I said a couple months ago, I'm happy with what I look like, I just want to lose more for health reasons.

Marie

judydc 12-04-2006 03:04 PM

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...on this thread, anyway :snowball1 . Nothing like talking about cookies and mince pies to get everybody into the mood. I can't have the Basler Brauns, but the schnapps is fine!

Carol, congratulations on seeing progress on the scale. Thanks for sharing the story about fellow moving into his first group home. These things must be so traumatic, but it's great to know that someone like you is there for the family.

Marie, thanks for the "25 calories" article. I hadn't realized that you're supposed to count food that you eat when you're standing up :o . That could explain a lot....I hope you don't get too discouraged by the plateau. In a fwe weeks you'll back on 2006 and be pleased that you'll be ending it smalled and healthier than you started.

Penny, WTG on the buffet! They are my downfall. Your hubby was lucky getting out of Chicago when he did. Even if the city didn't get that much snow, flights coming into and out of the Midwestern airports were a mess, I'm so glad I had flown the day before.

The weekend was good but exhausting. I worked like a scullion on the day of the party, and my body ached on Sunday. But the party was fun, over 50 people was there. I was too busy to eat much the whole visit, and my boycott of wheat products went a long way towards keeping me from inhaling garlic bread, cookies, cake, brownies and other yummies. I did have a a cup of ice cream on Saturday. It feels good to be back into my usual routine.

more later--judy

penpal 12-04-2006 07:25 PM

Marie - Kody sounds like a kid who doesn't want to do his homework! I'm sure he'll come around when he gets the hang of it. It sounds like he's already made some good progress. I'm glad you're taking your plateau in stride. You're doing everything right and it's sure to be a big health bonus for you.

Carol - I envy you getting a puppy. I'd love one but my DH is more of a cat person. We were at a Christmas party the other day and they have an 18 mo. old cocker spaniel girl (gorgeous golden coat). She was the life and soul of the party and was beside herself with happiness with so many people in her house. She kept bringing my DH her favorite ball (maybe trying to win him over?) and he was quite taken with her. Maybe he'll cave in and get us a dog one day. She was very naughty though and was running on the backs of the sofas and kept grabbing my sparkly hair clip I had used to so carefully put my hair up! I hope you enjoy making your soaps. Several friends have asked me to make some for Xmas gifts so I'll be busy. I see you're doing well with your calories. I've been a bit over lately and need to refocus.

Judy - I'm glad you had a nice party. Keeping busy is a good way to stay away from the food! I think I need to reduce my wheat intake. I've had IBS for several years and one of the triggers is too much white flour products. I've been overindulging in those lately and I'm paying the price with stomach pain and bloating. I'm going to start having cottage cheese & fruit for breakfast instead of my usual eggs & toast. It's about 100 less calories too, so I'll have something left for a snack later in the evening.

I was feeling bloated, fat and miserable (from the IBS) today at Curves and luckily my 'workout buddy' Michelle was there and gave me some nice compliments so that cheered me up a lot. Michelle's had wonderful success with Spark People (I told her about it a month or so ago) and she's already lost 15 lbs. She was the same starting weight as I was and has been yo-yo dieting her whole life like me, so we have a lot in common. She said I was her 'role model'! Well, I guess I'll have to live up to that now!

cacmsc 12-05-2006 06:04 AM

Well girls the doctors appt. was good now a follow up with the mamo and bone density isn't turning the 50's fun. Thats when they start the extra test. But I felt good filling out the paperwork at the doctors. When it came to health stuff I pretty much only had to answer a few things out of a lot. I told the girl these don't pertain to me. She said thats great be thankful and I said sure am. So I guess other than I wished my wt. was down a bit more I am healthy. Sometimes his exam is so easy compared to some I have had that I wonder if it is a good exam. I guess it is he is just quick in looking for things and keeps you talking to get your mind at ease. We were chatting about Maui. So that was a good topic to say the least and relaxing. I also got my hair done and feel like a new woman. A little blonde but thats okay it will hide my regrowth of gray streaks. I had it highlighted and my hair was a light brown to med. Now blonde streaks. I like it though. Something new for the drab winter weather. Not a new style just had it cut a few weeks back growing it out a little. Got the decorating going here yesterday evening. I have what the hubby calls my Charlie Brown tree. He is only 3 feet tall and I make it up woodsy like. Pine cones, berries, bells hung with twine, rusty little star on top and clear lights and a little birds nest waiting for me to purchase a little bird just right for it. I put my little elfs under it and my lovely wooden santa craved next to it. I just loved it. This a.m. its the only thing lite in the livingroom so pretty and woodsy looking just love it. Such little things in life bring the holiday spirit alive. Now my big tree is still pretty bare. Tonight I will do that one. It was fun and kept me from over eating last night busy is good keeps us in control I say! Judy your doing great keep it up. Marie that pup sounds like a kid for sure. Treat him like a teenager and you will be all set. Penny good for you having someone tell you thanks for steering them down the right path. I did pretty good with the intakes yesterday. I am in to the wraps this week with the 100 cals wrap made with rosemary and spices. Today I will create one for lunch and put some veggies and tuna together. Then take in carrots and stay out of sweets. Wed is a little christmas party at the group home. I will beable to keep it under control and eat light cals for lunch. Thurs needs to be a becareful day and friday breakfast lunch need to be under total control as the evening is my Christmas party. God give me strength. I am on the scale almost everyday trying to stay stable its important. Even if thats all I do for right now I am okay with that just keep it under control for the holidays. I have cut back on after dinner snacks unless its fruit, yogurt or something on the healthy side.
Keep up the good work girls together we will win this battle and be healthier than ever.

Marie 12-05-2006 01:02 PM

Welcome back Judy, glad your weekend was good. The gluten free is working out so great for you. It's amazing how when you're diligent about what you put in your body, how nicely it responds. I'm on a plateau, but eating healthy sure makes me feel good. No blahs. I'm much more happy since I started this diet in April.

Penny, watch what you eat and hopefully you'll feel better. I'm always amazed how much I crave what makes me sick. I love peanut butter and I'm allergic to it. Since it could stop me from breathing, I refrain, but I'd sure love anything peanut buttery right now. :)

Carol, I like the description of your little tree. Sounds artful. Someone decorated our tree last night after I went to bed. I was so please (I didn't want to do it again). I tried to find the "present" that is actually the lightswitch, but could so I couldn't light it this morning to check it out. For sure when I get home. DH did put up the house lights yesterday and I went out to admire it. I love house lights. I used to drive all over Duluth looking for pretty houses this time of year. It got to be a family ritual on Christmas Eve to drive around. That tradition stopped since we moved here - not many people put up lights.

I exercised this morning even though the idea of sleep sounded way better. Food was good and the scale was not nice but that's because of TOM. The plateau is pesty but okay. At least all my new clothes will fit for longer. :)
Marie

judydc 12-05-2006 04:55 PM

Penny, i love cottage cheese and fruit, or yogurt and fruit, for breakfast or for dessert. But I like variety in my meals, so I get bored eating it every day. One my other standard b'fasts is Eggbeaters w/salsa and turkey breakfast sausages. Although I've been boring, having protein shakes (w/o fruit) for b'fast during the week, and having one of my favorite b'fast options, with a wheat-free waffle, on the weekends after a long workout. The hardest thing on South Beach or similar plans is breakfast w/o grains. I got bloody sick of crustless quiche every morning:( .

Carol, good luck with all the parties this week. Just think of us when you're tempted, and remember that you'll have to confess to the Daily Check-in...I know you can do it.

Marie, isn't it funny how you can crave something you know is unpleasant or even dangerous? When I was a kid I hated peanut butter, but in college I learned to love it. I still buy it, but a jar lasts me a long time now.

Well, it's one of those days when I have lots to do and should be very busy....but I've been yawning all day. I did a good workout this morning, and will go to Curves after work. I thought my appt with the nutritionist was tomorrow, but it's next week. Maybe I can get the scale to move again before I meet with her. I would love to be halfway to my year-end goal by the middle of next week.

:yawn: Boy, am I sluggish today! I hope that pumping hydraulics at Curves will perk me up.

judy

cacmsc 12-06-2006 06:18 AM

Marie yes the little woodsy tree made up with berries etc. my son inlaw even loved. Its funny last year the same little tree in a little different spot had hardly any attention. He took a move to about 3 feet away a few new things added and everyone loves him. Crazy and funny I say! My little grandgirls 6 and 7 helped me decorate my big tree last night. I am pretty fussy where things go and have lots of breakables, memories with certain things we put on the tree and some homemade bulbs I took a little painting to with snowflakes. It looks great and the girls were helpful inbetween my becarefuls and not there. We had fun the tree looks good. And of course they ate a couple of candycanes. Marie glad your tree is up it will help with moods and good feelings I hope. Think of your weight sitting still as its adjusting right now. Once it is used to this new you it will turn on again and move forward for some more to come off. Losing and keeping it off is so positive not this yo yo stuff that is dangerous to say the least. Keep up your good efforts changes and routines that stick make the world of difference down the road for long term. I tried on a shirt I got my mom for christmas needless to say if it was tight on me its not going to work on mom. So I will take it back for something else today. Returns this early don't make me a happy camper. I have been doing good on the intake side of things. Feeling back in control again. Funny how that leaves us and we don't really know til its done a bit of damage but not too much. Again I am headed in the right direction. Yesterday someone brought in coffee cake I stayed away from it and didn't really miss it. Then ate healthy for all meals and last night around 8 wanted something. At last I decided on a little fresh orange and a half of banana. The scale thanked me this morning. Its not easy always making the healthier choice but we all know the benefits that will follow are in the right direction down instead of up. My Christmas party at the group home was canceled I will still stop in today a consumer passed away. Too bad at this time of year kind of not good timing for a party right now. My guy is doing super in his new house and everyone things he is such a hoot and love his ways of saying things. This was a good move! I will have an easier day today staying on track one party this week friday night. Girls the doc talked me into that flu shot the other day and I am not so happy. My arm is swollen and it hurts. I used some motrin last night and again this a.m. but the little bag with grains in you put in the microwave seemed to help the most. What the heck yah go for being healthier and now I also have a bit of a cold they say it won't make you sick well I was fine before hand????????????? Not too happy with these results but if the flu comes my way maybe I will not get it. Judy I agree yah need lots of variety to survive healthy eating. One of my desserts lately is frozen fruit with a few scoops of lite coolwhip and some walnuts on top. Not bad and feels like a real treat. Well girls I am meeting some friends at 7:00 a.m. for breakfast. Take care and lets keep this motivation moving in the right direction we are all seeing some results, making healthy choices, creating new routines and habits. Hurray for all of us ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie 12-06-2006 11:14 AM

Morning ladies. I'm in that funk "I don't want to work" again. So I'm doing my browsing early. Then I will get to it since I have loads to do. 61.5 hours of work left till Christmas vacation. Then I get 2 weeks off. I have no plans, just relax and enjoy Christmas. So the countdown is on to the 15th.

Carol, I feel your pain with the flu shot. I always swore that when I gave blood, I got a cold. They'd tell me, no it's not possible. But it happened everytime. So I stopped giving blood. Not a good thing, but I couldn't stand having a cold every 3 months. Great job with the scale. Mine read the same again. I'd really like to shove it down the toilet but alas, it's not its fault...

I did 6 miles on the exercycle and today is my leave early and take the doggies on a walk day so there will be another 2 miles of walking. I loved the bike this morning because it's by the Christmas tree. So I turned the tree on and that was the only light in the room as I pedalled and listened to an audio book. I might do that a bit more often. Maybe that will ge me out of the dread of exercising I've felt the last 10 days. I never give into the dread but it's still there.

Judy, how in the work is a wheat free waffle made? Since flour is the main ingredient, how id dthey do it? Also, what protein shakes do you like? I make an egg nog (216 calories - 1.25 c. skim milk, one egg, 1 T unsweetened cocoa and 4 equal packets in the blender). It holds me all morning. today I did a 110 cal bagel with a little cream cheese and a scrambled egg and I'm already hungry. So I was thinking maybe your protein shake would be something I could keep at work.

Hiya Penny!!!!

Talk with you all later.
Marie