Old 11-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #361  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool on to Day 10....

Well, I got through Day 9 at last yesterday and really didn't eat much at all as I was only mobile part of the day..... Today is Wednesday here already and I am too busy to write at length now. Let's see if I can manage something tonight.

Sushi -- Yes, they transport horses by air. It's pretty amazing. Go to this link for a story on horse transport for air and then click on the link for the pdf file, which has pictures.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...by+plane&hl=en

Shad -- There's your Horlicks pedigree. http://www.pedigreequery.com/horlicks Funny, the names are pretty foreign to me, except for some like Petingo, Alcazar, Alycidon, all because they're from her sire's sire. I don't know Three Legs. Just shows how you get to know the pedigrees in your neck of the woods and not much elsewhere unless you're really studying.

Well, Shad, it looks like you're inching ahead of me, because I just up and forgot about the crunches yesterday totally, and that was after saying I had to do them. Oh well, no yellow sticker on my calendar (that's what I've been doing to remember.)

Everyone else, a big hello and cheers for the successes. I am just extraordinarily busy Japan Cup week and trying to fit other activities in is about all I can manage. No time to post here at length. Take care all and I'll be back soon!

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #362  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

hi guys...

day 11>> 1 hr of circuit training... is everyone ready for turkey day?
what plans do you have for staying OP?
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #363  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Oh dear Red, thank you for that pedigree. I went back and had a look at the few I remember from way back. There are lots of horses which have the same names. I thought that it wasn't meant to be but I guess once one has retired from racing, then the name becomes available for others. Just goes to show how old I am getting, some of the ones I remember were racing in the 50's and 60's how old am I.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:02 AM   #364  

Way to go Fish! You're really doing well, and I vaguely remember that it's not easy to lose when you're getting close to goal.

Sushi, do you get headaches a lot? I discovered a wonderful homeopathic remedy: it's a mixture of mint and lavender oils in a little roll-on tube, and you roll some on your forehead or temples. It feels as refreshing as immersing your head in cold water, and seems to provide the relief you need to break the pain cycle. The kind I have is called Migrastick (made in Quebec), but I'm sure you can find something similar.

Apple, I don't remember what your challenge is, but I'm glad to see you're going strong again.

Betty and Stage, you're both chugging away quite nicely. You'll probably race on to success, wondering why some of us waste our time ranting and babbling instead of exercising. We do it as a personal sacrifice to entertain. Sort of like the old serials they had at the movies when I was a kid. We always went back the next week, eager to see the next instalment.

Curly, I hope you really enjoyed your day off-challenge. Plenty of doing nothing, I assume? You'll still beat the rest of us to victory. If I send you a SASE would you send me some of your amazing persistence? I sure could use me some!

Shad, I didn't realize you were a horsey type! I pictured you travelling to various foreign countries and doing crunches - when you weren't too busy laying pavers, of course.

Red, I'll try not to shout, as I'm sure you're feeling a little fragile what with all the "work" you've been doing in pubs and wherever else you and your little Irish friend have been spending your time... One French expression for a hangover is "avoir mal aux cheveux" - in other words, your hair hurts. Of course those days are only a dim memory for me now.

Why does the Quantas direct flight matter to horse transportation? Wouldn't the horses be flying in cargo planes? I just can't picture Dobbin in first class demanding champers with his oats...

DETOX is still going strong, Day 12 today if I'm not mistaken. But CREAK is officially over. Including one iffy day was enough, and today would have been another borderline one. So I'll be starting CREAK2 one of these days soon. Saturday will be a pause day for DETOX, as I'll be at a birthday party and am sure to sin. Which will have me finishing up on Dec 2, and plenty of time to do one more challenge before the New Year.

A technical question for Red, unless of course she's awol again recovering in a darkened room, forcing fluids and begging for aspirin. If someone has two separate staggered challenges, would they count as two completed challenges in our individual tally? I think it would be the only way I could hope to catch up to Curly...
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 AM   #365  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hmmm, yes, I guess it makes sense to transport horses in planes. I just never knew that's the way it's done. And it seems to be taken care of quite well, judging by the article Red sent me to. And neither did I know that horses too can get seasick but can't vomit. Poor horses...

Carla, I got headaches/migraines from time to time, but when I get them, they come and go for a few weeks. My current full-time job involves sitting in front of the computer all day, maybe that's why. But the mixture you described seems great, I'll surely look for it.

Ok, I'll stop yabbing and get to work on getting home and then on completing day 7 of my challenge
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 AM   #366  
Exercise Queen

No Soda- 9 Days
Abs- 4 Days

Off to bed now! I swear after school tomorrow I will really be able to catch up on posts. Today was just my really looooong day of the week!
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:05 AM   #367  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Day 13 under control

I still have to do 2 sets of abs & crunches and will go do that while I watch some mindless tv in a few moments. Finished the week at the gym today - hallelujah for that. I'm tired. All this getting up so early in the morning.

Stage - going well. There are days when you just can't find the time to post. Other days where you can yak and yak and yak. We all have 'em

Sushi - it's amazing what one can learn on these threads. There always seems to be some one with a bit of knowledge about the weirdest of things. Red sent me a pedigree looker upper. I spent quite a bit of time being very naughty and looking up names of horses I thought long forgotten. That cooling thingy from Carla sounds nice. Must see if we have anything similar here. Don't get headaches often (now it was not nice to say that there is nothing between the ears to ache and the headaches are caused by echoing.) But they are wicked when they do come.

Oh Carla - There are a lot of things I could put on my CV besides workplace trainer extraordinaire - I was a shearers cook for a while, I've looked after horses in stables, I was training for nursing at one stage. I've worked in offices and in mines. I've even been a cabbie. I can do lots of things you wouldn't believe besides painting, laying pavers (and concrete and bricks) and building sheds and fences. Just call me Jill (of all trades) since there is nothing I won't have a go at! I even travel and do crunches and run and gesticulate at the Japanese sometimes all at the same time!
I had to laugh at Dobbin in first class demanding oat and hay with the champers. Qantas (no u in it) have cargo planes as well as passenger planes - sometimes it is hard to tell the difference!!!! Horses are forever going back and forth between here and NZ for races and breeding etc. I though Air NZ did it as well, but then I haven't kept up with the times.

Okay, time to go and prepare myself for day 14. Life is so good.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #368  

DAY 9 done!
Today is day 10 for me... I almost blew it yesterday, but at the very end of the day I made myself do 20 sit ups and 20 leg lifts!
We are going away over Thanksgiving, more challenges!
Have a safe and happy holiday to all who celebrate!
If you live in a country that does not observe Thanksgiving. I invite you to be at peace, give thanks for friends and family and the blessings in your life.
Linda in New Hampshire
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #369  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Day 7 completed, and I'm actually proud of myself - did quite well despite having a day's beak. At about half time I started running faster, making it more of a run than a jog, which made the whole thing easier.

Stats
Days 1 to 5: no stats kept
Day 6 - 11 mins 30 sec with 2 breaks; 8 mins 14 seconds running, first break at 3 min 41 sec
free day (migraine)
Day 7 - 15 mins 4 seconds with 2 breaks; 11 min 20 sec running, first break at 4 min 30 sec
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:45 AM   #370  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Smile

lol carla ... trust me "my persistance" does wane like everyone elses..

I had a long talk with myself this morning cuz i can see there is no "healthy" way that i will meet my goal of 220 by new years... and told myself to stop beating myself up... i still lost a consistant 1.25 lbs per week this month.. and SLOW is good, that means it has all been fat and not water weight.. didnt get over weight... "over night" and it will take time to get to my goal...

even tho i havent lost quickly ... ive gained something even more important... which is the REAL point of this challenge...

no matter how many times we have to start over... look at how many days we have exercised or worked on our goals (water etc) when maybe we wouldnt have even tried??

so ... we are all persistant and we have all made positive changes in our lives!

thanks red.. for making this thread!
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #371  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thumbs up Day 10 in the bag...

Ok, all. Trying to get a little caught up. I just got down on the floor and did my 10 sets of 20. Not much room in my place, so it was just lots of sets of straight up and then some diagonals. Ok, there was no way I was going to get any further behind. Yesterday ticks me! I just totally forgot!

Well, had kind of a break day today, no, not the challenge, that was okay as I didn't pig out and because I rode in the afternoon that leaves me less time to stuff things down the gullet... So, Day 10 is a wrap....

Well, you know this site is going to be down on Thanksgiving Day. This is my tomorrow, Thanksgiving that is, but I won't be able to post on Friday. So, I actually have one more day to post.

derry -- Good for you for doing those situps and leg lifts at the end of the day. Yes, Thanksgiving. I had totally forgotten. Today was a holiday here. Don't know what it was...Wish I could call the homestead tomorrow but with the time difference that may be tough. I can at least send an email for now. Hope you have a good day too.

Shad -- So, you see. I got back on the ball and did those crunches! I was worried there when you said you had done 7 "reps" and needed to do three more. I figured you just made a mistake but I was worried you were just doing 10 reps, not 10 of 20! Ok, glad you like the pedigree. I guess different countries have different rules concerning names. I think it takes a long time in Japan for names to allowed to be recycled. What's this?! "A teenage colleague?" Well, I'm not going that young...not yet...I keep 'em above....well, he was 29...but I guess I'd have to say I keep 'em above ....23..give or take a few years....

Sushi -- Glad you could read the article. Actually it wasn't much of an article but I thought the photos would give you a bit of an idea as to how horses travel. And congrats on completing Day 7! You all are putting me to shame! Love those stats!

carla -- "awol again recovering in a darkened room, forcing fluids and begging for aspirin" ?!?!?!?!?!? No, not doing any such thing...you sound like you know your way around wellsome! Well, this could be deja vu for tomorrow and the Japan Cup Welcome Party, which I've been invited too. But no, I won't be drinking much..

And yes, that's a go on the staggered challenges (staggering challenges?). They count as two separate ones, you bet! Well, carla, I must say you are doing well! And what do you mean CREAK is over? You mean you completed the challenge or are you just throwing in the towel. Tell me it's the former! and I'll give you the big cheering smilies.

As for horses flying, it can be very hard on them, the movement, not able to lie down, not able to stretch their heads down, the dry air, everything. Some have no trouble at all. Others can get very stressed.

curly -- Look at all the admiration you're getting here these days! A big hand for Day 11. Turkey Day? No problem here, although actually I will be at the race party. Raw fish will probably be the closest to turkey they'll have...Oh, and heh! more congrats and admiring looks on that weight loss. I see you've moved your tracker! Hurrah for you! And curly, you have a super great attitude. Thanks for the thanks!

Betty -- Hello! and sorry for the belated welcome! Good luck on your challenge. No explosions yet, I gather?

Fish -- What's up with you? Great that you're fitting into those slacks. It must feel great! I write for a regular newspaper, horse-racing magazines and other racing-related publications. Yeah, Tokyo is a cool place. Definitely worth a look around, or at least Japan. I'm so used to it now though, that it is all so familiar. Still, I can still appreciate the roof of a temple or old house (not too many of them though) and it is nice to come across such places even in Tokyo amidst the skyscrapers. I hope you can come here someday soon. And, I'm glad you set carla straight with that sober redhead silliness! Too bad about the fight with hubby. But, I suppose he's just worried. Is he overweight? An average of 1300 is not bad, unless you are liking eating 500 one day and 1800 the next, which could look suspect. Well, you'll be okay. It's hard to lose weight when you're already quite lean. Congrats on Day 7!

stagemom -- Hello! and welcome to you too! You were doing a stealth challenge, if I recall right. Thus, these glowing numbers already!

Apple -- Where are you? You were on Day 6 there. Hope things are OK.

Silly -- you too...are you still with us?! I hope so!

marble -- Hello!! Glad you could check in. You're not doing a challenge yet though I reckon. Well, I sure wish you a speedy recovery. And I hope the pain is not bad.

Ok, that's enough catching up for now. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Mez, where are you??! Ice?!?! Anyone else out there we haven't heard from in a while? Come back!! Shane!!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-23-2005 at 06:56 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #372  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Default Day 2 Complete

Day 2 complete on both my challenges. No soda and Posted in my FitDay.
SillyFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #373  
Exercise Queen

No ab work for me this morning, I will do it after work. My was way more important this am, after getting to sleep so late last nigh.

Have a great day everyone! Only 1 more day until

Still-
No Soda- 9 Days
Abs- 4 Days
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #374  

Red, sorry to admit CREAK has been abandoned. I had used my three pause days, and my litle walk just didn't meet my criteria as an on-challenge day. But I haven't quit trying, just admitted I've blown that challenge. I'll start back as soon as I've thought out what type of exercise to aim for.

More later - my battery is about to die.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #375  
Cynical RedHead

Finished day 9 of ACE. Today will be day 10 and tomorrow will definitely be a pause day if for no other reason than I am by bloody god having wine with my thanksgiving dinner

Curly - 1.25 pounds per week is great! Remember, slow and steady wins the race. If Aesop said it, it must be true

Sushi - you are really coming along with your running. Isn't is fun seeing your times increase?

I wish I could convince my in-laws to do sushi/sashimi rather than turkey and gravy. I think that would be some sort of thanksgiving sacrilege Oh well, I will do the best I can tomorrow.

I don't have time to post to each of you individually today, but you are all in my thoughts for a safe and happy day tomorrow and everyday!!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote