Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #1  

Default Week At A Time Challenge #13 - Come and Take it On!

The object of this thread is to take on at least one challenge related to your weight loss goals for 7 days straight. Choose whatever inspires you - a certain amount of water intake, no sugar, 30 minute walks, etc.

I will award accolades for each day you maintain your goal(s), and 7 day winner awards and pounds down at the end of the week. We will begin each challenge on Monday - you can choose a new challenge or repeat any challenge for extra mileage. If you would like to stretch yourself, take on more than one challenge.

We will support each other keeping in mind to stay focussed on our successes and/or challenges of the day and week related to our weight loss. There are plenty of threads where a lot of time is spent on personal stories, so let's try to keep that to a minimum.

mscat-
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:32 AM   #2  

Default Monday Morning Greetings!

Ladies - I am back! Just a quick post to say I apologize for being absent - our internet connection did not work in our hotel as we had planned . I missed you all so much! Thank you for keeping each other up and keeping the thread going.

I see we have a new member - and to rubenesquexox. We are so happy to have you join us. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions or post here and any one of us can respond.

I will update you on my Chicago trip and give accolades for the past week a little later today. In the meantime. let's start out the week with a bang!

mscat
Old 09-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #3  
Haley

Hey everyone! I'm back this week, hope that's alright!

My goals for this week are to get five days of exercise in sometime between Monday and Sunday. I also need to make sure to drink the 8 glasses of water I need to be drinking, I've been slacking on that lately.

I want to be at 199 or lower by this Friday the 23rd. I'm still excited and nervous at the same time to see a 1 on the scale and in my weight, but the excitement is greater, which is good.

Good luck this week to everyone!!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #4  
Debi

Smile

((Bonnie)) - How's today going with your eating? I hope so much that you're having a good day.

I am so sorry that you've re-gained some of your weight. I know how you feel though 'cuz this past week, I've gained back 2 of the pounds that I had lost last week.

But ... the important thing is that we are not going to give up and we WILL make it as long as we keep getting up, dusting ourselves off and keep going.

mscat, WELCOME HOME! How was your trip? I hope that you had a good time!

Can't wait to hear all about it [when you get the time to post, etc.]

rubenesquexox, welcome - it's nice to meet you, so glad that you're here!

Haley, wow - how exciting that you are so close to being in the 100's again! You're doing great [I see that you've already lost 22 pounds. Way to go.

Well, as I said above to Bonnie ... I gained 2 of the 3 pounds back that I lost this past week and needless to say, I am so disappointed about that.

This week my goals will be the same:

1. Walk down 25 flights of stairs
2. Drink 5 cups of water per day

PLUS ...

I will allow myself only ONE snack for the entire week.

So, from today on I will be updating my goals [and if I accomplished them], a day late since that way I can post if I made my goal of going the entire day [till midnight] that I did not have a snack.

Well, gotta go but will talk to you more soon!

Love,

Debi
deborah.jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #5  

Default Monday evening sign-off!

Hi Ladies - well I finally have time to post! Our Chicago trip was wonderful. My DD completed the Landmark Teen Forum along with about 100 other teens and produced amazing breakthrough results for herself and her life. We saw "Wicked" and it was the best musical I have ever seen. DH and I spent a lot of time together during the day while DD was in her seminar - we ate too much but did a lot walking - Friday approx 2 miles and from Millenium Park (WOW), Saturday approx 3 miles to and from Landmark and Sunday around Navy Pier.

Kudos for last week's trailblazers . . .

carla for being in wonderland! Keep us posted about your surgery in October - we will be thinking of you!
Bonnie for 3 days on the charts! Enjoy your break - keep in touch when you can!
Selina for 4 days of walking!
Sushi for 5 days of various goals met!

and drumroll please . . .

Debi for another 7 days of meeting daily goals! what an inspiration you are to all of us!

mscat-
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 PM   #6  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Hi everyone! My goal this week is to walk at least 7,000 steps each day (I have hit 10,000 steps each day for about 10 days, but some days I had to walk in place at night to meet it.) Also, to drink more water than I have been.. no specifics on that tho. Just more! I'm only down to 214.5.. but TTOM just hit.. and I read somewhere that the very best day to weigh for the month is seven days after we start. So next Monday is my official September weight. I write down this one day each month. We'll see how I've done.

I am trying to go two weeks trusting myself to eat right and lose. Not counting fat or calories (on paper). Just in my head, mentally keeping general track of it. I think I can stop writing it all down. What makes me mad is that I can't give up chocolate but I allow for it. I just think if I could give it up completely I'd lose so much more.

Glad to see you all staying motivated. I am motivated more each time I look in my closet. Those new clothes ranging from 18, to 16, to 14 are so cute! (I'm in about a 20 now, some 18s.)

Wishing you all good determination this week! You cannnnnnn do it!!!! Hugsssss!!
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #7  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

Ty to Debi and Bonnie and Mscat for all the great support! Welcome back Haley! I love this thread! Week at a time is the best! I want to be 189 by my birthday so bad I am freaking out! I really want it, but I am in a rut.. or something.. losing slowly. Gotta stop my chocolate.. but then I want it more. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! LOL! I am thinking of going walking at 6am til 7am. Might be a good idea. Just needa wake up to see if it's light out enough.. LOL! I'll figure something out. Gotta get a move on! We can do this!!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 AM   #8  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

Ok, here is the article in case anyone wanted to read it. It's still on the AOM site under the archived stories. I just wish I could lose some more! LOL. I'm greedy!

Keeping Up With the Kids — Selina’s Success Story

It’s amazing how small children can be such big motivators. For Selina Sills, the desire to keep up with her young children was a major catalyst for losing weight. “My goal is to become lean, healthy, and strong,” affirms Selina. “I want to play with my children at the park… climb, jump, and act like I’m their age. To enjoy them, roller skate with them, and go horseback riding.”

Healthy Lifestyle, Healthy Body

Having been heavy for years, Selina had tried numerous weight loss plans with varying results. After putting her mind to losing the excess weight once and for all, Selina took a moderate and consistent approach: exercising and eating healthfully.
So far, Selina has lost more than 60 pounds and she’s still counting. “It’s a long road to success,” admits Selina. “And that’s okay. I can handle it.”
As Selina has grown stronger she’s gradually increased her activity. Currently she walks at least 10,000 steps each day and has added toning and flexibility exercises. “I never thought walking would become so easy,” says Selina. “I can walk 8 miles with no problem now. I couldn’t do that before.”

Smart food choices and portion control have also been a cornerstone of Selina’s success. “At restaurants, I ask for the take-out tray when I receive my food,” says Selina. “Then I can put half directly in it to take home.”
Her healthy lifestyle is paying off — not only in weight loss but in increased energy and self-image. “So far my new way of life is working well for me,” Selina confirms. “But I give myself permission to be flexible when I need to. Never believe that anything is set in stone. Things change; sometimes we need to change with them.”

Selina’s Tips for Success

Selina offers these tips for other America On the Move® members:

Be consistent — do something every single day and you’ll see a difference in your fitness level over time

Carry a bag of cereal or plain popcorn with you at all times to ward off midday hunger and help you resist the urge to stop for fries

Exercise in the morning because things will come up during the day that demand your attention, and your workout may never get done if you don’t find a slot for it

Find an activity you enjoy; you’ll be more likely to succeed in the long term

Make exercise and eating right a habit — if you want to be fit, you must behave as fit people do, which means staying active and eating healthfully

Beware of sabotage by non-supporters; some people aren’t too excited when a person they know loses lots of weight — you may never understand the real reason behind this… just remember that your weight loss is something you deserve

Compete only with yourself — remember every person’s body is different, and aim to outdo yourself (such as last week’s number of repetitions at the gym, last month’s total miles walked)

Take photos so you’ll have documentation of your weight loss journey — it’s motivating to see how far you’ve come in changing your habits

Realize that losing weight takes time and that maintaining it takes a lifetime.

Tracking Progress

Selina also recommends tracking your physical activity and healthy eating. In just 3 short months she logged over 1 million steps on AOM. In addition to online logging, Selina keeps a calendar on her bedroom wall. “Each month I write at the top that I vow to continue my journey to wellness,” says Selina. “Then I sign my name. That is my commitment to myself that I won’t give up on this.” Daily, Selina tracks her steps, toning exercises, food, water, and breathing. She checks each item if she met her daily goal or crosses them out if she had an off day.
The visual reminder, along with tracking her progress on the AOM website, inspires Selina to keep going.
Now she’s able to keep up with her children — and getting more positive as well as energetic every week.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:10 AM   #9  

Default In the Middle of the Night!

I know I should be in bed - one of my challenges I am taking on. Had to fix my fantasy football picks - my team sucked this week and last! Just read Selina's article - Thank you for sharing it Selina - it is great. BTW my family lives in Houston - I was there for a couple of years before I moved up here with my DH. I miss it sooooo much!

I have been contemplating how, as of late, I cheer everyone on about their goals and challenges and have not stepped up to minding my own. Hmmmm - that has to stop. My weight is out of control - especially with this trip. I am afraid to get on the scale and therefore, I am totally avoiding having to change my slider. But I can tell from my pants that there are pounds there.

I also skipped my BP meds 2 days in a row while away and the swelling in my legs was something I have not seen in a long, long time. I am getting busy. So I am taking a tip from Selina and returning to my exercise routine in the a.m. I am sure we all agree with her that it is easier for most of us to allow stuff to get in the way when we don't get that exercise in first thing in the a.m. So back to my a.m. workouts and I am going to add stairs at work when I arrive in the event I miss the workout! That will be a motivator because I prefer the treadmill over stairs!

Well I am off to put together a Toastmaster's speech for this evening which I neglected to work on all weekend. Hmmmm - perhaps I will take on procrastination for a personal challenge.

Have a great Tuesday!

mscat-
Old 09-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #10  
Debi

Smile

Hi Friends!

Well - here I am [not real motivated today but here nonetheless. ]

Yesterday I completed both of my goals [water and walking the stairs].

Also I had my one and only snack of the week last night so I guess it's going to be a challenge to go the rest of the week and behave myself. *lol*

mscat, I was so glad to hear about your trip ... it sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Congratulations to your DD for completing the teen forum. It sounds like the trip was very beneficial to her!

Wow - you did ALOT of walking when you were gone, huh?! I'm so glad that you were able to get away and have a good time.

How's your exercising going today? I hope good!

I don't know how you all can do your exercising in the mornings [If I tried that I'd probably hurt myself really bad 'cuz though I may be up and out of bed - it still takes me forever to WAKE UP. ]

Bonnie, I'm glad that I'm able to help even in some small way [it makes me feel good to know that I can. ]

Way to go for keeping to your calories for the day yesterday! [Oh and for doing the water aerobics class too.] It'll all help, I know!

Also, thank you for the support you're giving me ... it means a lot and I know it'll help me to keep myself on track as well. (HUGS)

Good for you for losing the 1# ... and you're right, a pound IS a pound and every one of them count!

Hi Selina, it's good to see you and wow - you've done great with walking as much as you have. Keep up the good work!!

I know what you mean about chocolate [ugh, it's a big weakness of mine too. ]

I totally agree with you - a week at a time IS the best [at least is sure is for me!]

Thanks so much for posting the article [lots of great tips and also it is so motivating!] We're all really proud of you for your success you've already achieved.

Well - gotta get for now ... I have to get moving here ... I've drank my water today but haven't yet done the stairs yet and need to take a bath 'n get myself moving.

See you all tomorrow!

Love,

Debi
Old 09-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #11  
Haley

Okay, didn't get my work out in Monday or Tuesday, I did get all my water in both days, though. Today I have two classes I'm going to at the gym, so I'll get my hour of working out in today.
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #12  

Default Hump Day!

Hi Ladies - well if you look at my slider I suffered a major set back I gained over 10 pounds on my trip to Chicago. Some of it is water from skipping my BP meds. It was a wake up call so I am back on the challenge. This week I am working on exercise everyday. So far I have been on the treadmill Tuesday and Wednesday
haleys - welcome back! and for Monday and Tuesday's water! Good luck getting your workout in today.
Bonnie for Tuesday's workout and for a pound down! Great additional challenge. Housework counts as a form of exercise with WW so you keep it up. Moving is always better than sitting on our cabooses!
Debi for Tuesday's workout and water!

Selina, Carla, and rubenesquexox - how are you doing? Chat with you all soon.

mscat-
Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I like doing a weekly challenge. Hope you don't mind if I join.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #14  

Default Welcome to our newbie!

Ceejay - On behalf of the Week at a Timers Welcome to our group! We are happy to have you jump right in. Don't worry about it being the beginning of the week - the best time to start any challenge is right now!

Let us know what challenge (actions) you want to take on this week and we will support you in every way we can

mscat-
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #15  
Debi

Smile

Hi Friends

Well ... I hate to do this but am putting a hold on my challenges for a bit [at least for this week.]

I woke up yesterday morning and not long afterwards, I noticed that my left ankle was sore. I have no idea why because I am not aware of doing anything to it at all.

I did try to walk the stairs yesterday but only made it down 6 flights and that was with the help of holding onto the bannister [which I don't normally do.] It really hurt [and still does. ]

So ... yesterday I only got 6 flights walked and none for today. I am not sure when I'll be able to do it again but know it won't be until it starts to feeling better again.

Darnit ... I had been so on-track too!

Bonnie, I'm proud of you with keeping your calories to what you were trying to. Good for you!!

I know what you mean about the housework challenge ... I noticed tonight that I need to get some of that done myself.

Ceejay, welcome ... it's nice to meet you!

mscat, I'm sorry that you've had the gain but at least you are now back on track.

And way to go with 2 days on the treadmill! The weight will be coming off again in no time, just wait 'n see.

I hate to drop out of my challenge for now but need to ... I am so bummed too.

Oh well - hopefully come Monday I'll be able to start again and if not, then I'll set another goal or two and will get busy with it again.

Until then I may not be here much [got to get things here taken care of] but I am still going to keep close watch on what I eat so hopefully I'll have a loss to report next Monday a.m.

Love,

Debi