Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 176/174/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, Ginny,

I never properly introduced myself to begin with... I just kind of jumped in chatting. And I lied yesterday about getting caught up with school stuff for the week. Here I am again at the computer doing one more 'last' thing for the night.

I have an 18-year-old son who just started college at Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, KY. I have a 16-year-old daughter that's a junior in high school. I teach in the neighboring district so she doesn't have to be in the same school with me. OMG.

My mom, 'Hurricane' Rita, just IM me that her doc told her she has Type II Diabetes. When she was up last month, she was complaining about her stomach fat (even though she is quite small, size 6-8) even though she exercises daily and eats extremely healthy. I talked to her about insulin resistance and she should go to the doc and have blood work done. She did and I told you the rest. Her mother also had mild diabetes II. They gave her the pills and she goes back in a month. My grandma took the pills to and never had to go to shots. I think I'm going back before my scheduled appt. in 2 months to have new blood done.

Good night, for sure, this time.

Tammy
Mad 4 STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 PM   #122  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one watching INXS Rockstar, Tammy! I've not missed an episode of the performances... I don't care too much about the reality show parts! BUT... I've LOVED watching these people perform...AND INXS...and well, I'm 40 also... so do you think that it might be our ages? Us 80's girls just won't give up "our music"! I've never cared about Survivor or Big Brother...but this one has me GLUED to the tube! I've got a load of laundry that must be done before tomorrow... but here I sit..waiting to hear the BIG announcement!

...here it comes...
gotta RUNNNNN! LOL
take care,
meeee
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #123  

Meee,

Was in the car just down the street from my house going to work and heard on the local college channel that we have a two hour delay due to fog! Yeah! I was just teaching my freshmen yesterday about how fog causes the 'Tyndall effect,' so you can't see to drive causing us to have an occasional school delay in Sept. and Oct. The weather gods were listening! I called my DD because she has a delay too (had her watch TV to double check) and I came back home.

I'm the same way with reality shows. INXS is the only one I'm addicted to. My DH and 60-yr-old mom in FL is addicted too. I've never watched BB or an entire epsidoe of Survivor. I have watched a couple episodes of the celebrity weight loss show (can't remember name of it) this summer due to boredom and kind of got hooked.

You're right about 80s girls and their music. INXS's "What You Need" was big right after I got married ('85) and was actually going to college. Lots of good memories. Hope you have a great day.

I teach HS AP environmental science and chemistry. What do you teach?

Have a great day!

Tammy
Old 09-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #124  
KAR

Morning All,
Thanks for your advice Ginny and Tammy. Things were much better at home last night. I even did a huge favor to my dh and his ex. His dd had gymastics pratice last night at 6. If we waited on her mom to come pick her up at our house, she would be about 10-15 minutes late to her lesson. So I left work,stopped at our house picked up my sdd and took off to her mom's work. I did all of these within 30 minutes. So I had a busy evening last night. Then it was off to my TOPS meeting where I was going to unwind and relax some. Only to be asked to take the secretary notes for the meeting. So I finally unwinded at home watching the Biggest Loser show. My dh even came home and watched it with me. He made a comment about how my weight is going down and how my body is getting trimmed and toned. So that made me feel better. I did lose 3/4 of a pound last night. So I lost 9 1/4 pounds since starting school one month ago.
Glad you got a two hour delay this morning, Tammy. It was very foggy out on my way to school this morning. Glad that I left my house a little earlier than normal. So what are you going to with yourself for those extra two hours?
Ginny, hope your dd's test goes well this morning. When will you hear the results fcrom it? Glad you were able to get your walking in still. Sounds like your kids are a little bit better on the bus this year.
Robyn, are you having a better week this week with your kids? Hope they were all able to keep their clothes on. I got my shirt ripped yesterday by my favorite student. I know that you are not to have a teacher's pet, but this little guy has been with me for 4 years now. So I feel really attached to him. This is the same student who the school deputy gave him his handcuffs to handcuff me yesterday afternoon right after recess. So I came home yesterday and told my dh that I felt like I was on Jerry Springer yesterday getting arrested and getting my clothes ripped. LOL Keeps me hopping around here and I stay out of trouble that way.
Hi everyone else. Hope you are having a great week!
Take care,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #125  
burned out bus driver

Another shortie......
Yup, Tammy, get your blood tested early and just stay on top of it. My Dm is also typeII diabetic. Lots of type II's (Dm included) can get along without shots- there are so many decent meds out there for it these days. SO you have teens too!!!!!! Ain't it a hoot?? Me, I have a Dd, soph year at Adelphi University, Ds, junior in HS and then Dd in 4th grade. I bellyache a lot, but my kids are pretty decent individuals. Except......nah, just joking! How did you spend your xtra 2 hours??

Kerry- congrats on the loss!!!! Sweet of you chauffering sdd around, and just forgetting about all the other stuff. I think that was the best approach-at least for the short term. ANd great for you that Dh noticed and commented about how great you are looking these days. Sure sounds to me as though he knew he blew it the other day, and although an Im sorry would have been nice, decent behavior counts for something!!!!! Getting any workouts in?

Robyn- how you doing!!!!!! What is your meeting day for WW. How are you finding it to follow the program?

Me, well, got up at 4:30 am.......stupid kitten and her side kick the 4 yr old cat decided to chase each other all over the bed.....down the hall....sounded like a darn stampede of wild animals....so I conceded defeat after a half hour of the nonsense and got up at 4:30 to feed the bums. Then I did my WW tape.
Got Dd's sono in, won't know the results until Oct 3 when we see the Dr. But the sono usually is just looking for an absence ofscar tissue and that her kidneys are growing normally, and that has always been the case to date.
Nuff of me babbling.......off to sniff diesel fumes!!!!!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #126  
KAR

Ginny,
Glad that you gave up defeat and feed the poor cats. Plus you got a workout in to boot too. I have been doing a walking video every morning and on Mondays, Wednesdays, and either Thursdays or Fridays I go to Curves. So I have been able to get my workouts in and burn off some stress and calories at the same time.
Glad that your dd's sono went so well this morning. Sorry that you have to wait two weeks before getting the results. Hope things are going well for you dd health wise.
Well my kids are ready to move on to their next activity. Talk to you all later.
Kerry
Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #127  
Swimming Mouse

Wow. I didn't realize I'd been gone since Sunday.
Not much going on here... Same school stuff, different day. I still don't get a straight answer for most of my questions, but we're making progress on getting some instructional materials.
My kids are drowning in their regular ed academic classes; at least one teacher refuses to adapt or modify assignments for them. Looks like I'm going to be having a whole lot of IEP meetings in the next few weeks to either add accommodations/modifications or change diploma status because the kids are failing. Interims come out next week.
I am going to meet my new primary care doctor next week, and my endocrinologist's office says she is really good and not to worry about referrals or any of that stuff, because she'll take care of it without any questions.
I still haven't figured out the gym issue, but my credit card that it was being charged to has been cancelled: somebody stole a new one that the company accidentally sent to the old address and used it for cash advances. So, they can't bill me. Maybe that will get their attention? I really miss swimming and lifting weights. I won't have time this weekend but maybe I'll go look at the new rec center that opened up near me. Its about the same distance as the other gym... it is actually more expensive than the other gym, though, and I know they don't do towels or private lockers. I haven't heard anything from the other gym about teaching swimming. I will at least get to swim on Saturday... I am going to my mom's house either Friday night/Saturday afternoon, or Saturday night/Sunday morning. It depends on the whole Red Cross thing: I'm not sure what will happen with our service center or shelter given the situation right now in the gulf.
I also ... FINALLY... managed to get my new stuff from Hewlett-Packard. FedEx and HP don't make a good combination!
I think I read most of your messages, but I'm not sure I processed any of them:
Kerry: Hope things are going okay.
Sue: Bowling? I have done that and plan to take my kids bowling. I saw a special on the back of Baby Ruth candy bars for free games. I think I'll pick up 2 10-packs of the bars and save one set for later and one set for October. I'll use the candy bars for something... Another teacher is doing something similar to my rules chart.
Ginny: Cats need to be fed. That is why Imp has his own feeder, so he can feed himself without bugging me. Remind me to tell you part of the HP/FedEx story, because it involves Imp learning to sign his name.
Michelle: I know you asked me something, but I'm not sure I remember what it was. I'm sorry.

Tomorrow is our first community trip; assuming the bus shows up. But only 2 of my 4 kids brought back permission slips. One of my kids has a birthday tomorrow so we're going to have a little party for him: I baked the brownies.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #128  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

HOW can it ONLY be THURSDAY??? I'm so exhausted I could sleep for a month!
BUT, I'm happy to report that MOST (but not all...sigh...) of my transitional first graders can identify what is a letter, what is a word, what is a sentence. MOST can even tell me how many words are used in a given sentence. Most have gotten left to right...and most have return sweep! THIS IS BIG news! We have also nearly finished our initial chapter in math! Counting and beginning patterns! Fine motor skills are holding us back a bit with our handwriting skills.... but, they can count to 10 FINALLY...even if they can't form the numerals! Baby steps, gray hair and plenty of sarcasm! 11 days into this... 2 FBA's, 2 IEP meetings, 1 CS...so far! GAWWWD I'm gonna be really really unfriendly to be around by June!

Tammy, I finished HighSchool in 83...college in 87! We got married in 88...complete with GIANT bow on my fanny and HUGGGE HUGGGE sleeves on what I considered THE most perfect wedding dress! Looking at the photos... oh my! The bridesmaids dresses are much more 80's than my dress.... DH wore his checkerboard vans to the wedding reception.... THOSE photos are our dss' favorites! The youngest wears an identical pair to school! He thinks that his dad is THE coolest! I keep trying to explain that *I* am the cool one...he wore those shoes and I didn't kill him!!! Anyway.... most 80s music makes me smile some goofy huge smile! Especially... Melt With You and OLD Madonna's Lucky Star, anything by Journey... REO Speedwagon! YOU know the ones! We also love late 70's music around here! Thank you for getting me to smile tonight!

WWDay is Saturday morning for me, Gin. That way, I have Saturday night to "relax"! The plan is easy IF you don't have to worry about other things.... I am trying to stay focused and work the plan that I make weekly...but the lunch thing is getting to me! So far...so good...but GEESH...how much turkey and salad can one gal eat???

Kerry... the officer gave the student the hand cuffs to put on you??? GEESH! Yes, my sweetie has remained dressed this week...so far! AND...yesterday he was even absent...for the WHOLE wonderful day. Aren't I horrid?! Ya'll know what I mean!

Summer, where are you girl???
Hey to everyone...gotta get back to my school work! yippeee!

take care,
meeee (Tammy, I'm Robyn....but well...they also know me by my other name...ME!
AND...were you happy with the end of Rockstar last night?! By the time it ended, I was so confused with who should win...but...in the end, I'm sure that JD will do the best with INXS. I do like Marty, tho...especially now that he isn't screaming! LOL)
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 AM   #129  

Default J.D. is the best for the band....

Hi, everyone,

Yes it is midnight and I'm up because I took a 3-hr nap after my walk! DD went to the mall with friends and dinner at friend's house. DH didn't want to 'chance' getting his head bit off he said so he let me sleep. I had to get up even though I could have slept forever it seems. I needed to rewrite a lab for my APES kids tomorrow and write a key for my essay test.

Robyn: I think J.D. is the best for the band, but I agree about being torn between Marty and him. I like Marty....he's come a long way, but I think he would do better solo or with a 'younger' type of band (not that INXS is old...they're young to me.)

I graduated from HS in '83 also, married in '85, didn't finish college until '95! It was my choice, I really wasn't that motivated after HS, I had to pay all the way and ran out money before the first year was over even though I also worked full-time. After 1st kid was born (now 18) I stayed at home until I went back to school, except for a small part-time job to get me out of the house for sanity's sake. My DH worked at a university medical center which gave me free tuition, so I started off slow when kids were 2 & 4 ('91), but still finished in 4 years. I was a food scientist right after I graduated. I went back for my teaching certificate/M.Ed. in a special program at the University of Cincinnati in '97. I started teaching in the inner city in '98 (one year only as part of the program).

Sorry so much me stuff, but I need to get tired again so I can fall asleep and be chipper tomorrow ....labs all day.

Nighty, night
Tammy
Old 09-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #130  

Hey!
It is Thursday morning and I am not at school. I go to the ENT at ten, so hopefully we can figure out what my problem is....... It was nice, I actually got to feed my kid breakfast and take him to school this morning. I wish I could do that every single day.

I am an all eighties girl. It's funny cause at the end of our cable channels we have all these digital radio stations. They have a great eighties station. Ha! I thought I was the only one caught in the muscial time warp..........

School hasn't been bad I must say. Although, we have so many meetings that it isn't even funny. I just called my school to make sure that my co teacher got my plans and as usual I could hear my chatty first period in the background. They are defintely a group of talkers. Man oh man...Do they like to talk. One little boy will burst into song at the drop of a hat. I told him the other day that this was not the auditions for American Idol. He says well it should be cause I would win............Oh dear. Gonna be a long year with that kid.

Ok gotta brush my teeth and change my clothes so I can get ready to go.
I'll be back later with updates!

Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #131  
KAR

Morning Ladies,
I am enjoying my lunch break. It is nice and quiet. In a few minutes, that will all change when I have to go out on recess duty. I like lunch duty better, since they are busy eating and not really talking too much.
Well my week is getting better. Maybe it is because I can see the weekend is near. I have my lesson plans done for next week already. Just have to make my copies. I might do that this afternoon right after school before I leave to go to a middle school in the next county over from where I teach for a meeting on 2 free graduate credits from Miami U. of Ohio. I can't pass up the great deal of them being free. The meeting is from 5-7 and than it is home to have a confernece call with my mentor for my home business. I just hope that I can get my training over with and get started with it soon. I don't want to have to work the afterschool program for the rest of my life to help make ends meet. Enough babbling from me though.
Pam, I hope your appointment with the ENT goes well. I go next Thursday to do my yearly exam with my OB/GYN in the morning and that afternoon go to the dentist to get a filling fixed. What a combination of appointments that day, huh? LOL But I figured since I had to take the day off for my yearly exam since my dr. is only in her office at the office closest to my house I might as well just go to the dentist that afternoon. So did you start back on your walking program yet?
Tammy, hope you were finally able to go to bed last night. I didn't have any problems falling asleep. It might have been the Nyquil I took before going to bed, though. I had a stuffy nose yesterday and figured maybe if I took the Nyquil it might just help me this morning. I haven't seem to have a stuffy nose yet today. Naps, what are those things? I bet you really needed the sleep though if you slept that long. Hope today is going well for you.
Mouse, we missed you. Glad to hear that things are going a little bit better for you. You sound more upbeat about school. Sounds like you have a wonderful group of kids to work with. Where are you going on your field trip today? Hope you had a fun time.
Ginny, hope your day is going well. Have you been able to squeeze in any walking here lately? I was able to drag myself through my walking videos this week so far. I just hope that once the weekend gets here I can do it than too and not become a couch potato. LOL
Robyn, I think the officer might like me if you get my meaning here. My aides have been picking on me about it. Since they said he clearly told my student to come on lets go get your teacher. They said he has been awful friendly towards you since you started to tone up and really drop some of those stubborn pounds. But I have warned him that he isn't to encourage my student to put handcuffs on me again. That he needs to set a good example for the class.
Hi to Summer, Sue, and Michele. Hope all is going well with you ladies this week. We miss you and can't wait to hear from you.
Well I better go use the restroom before going to bake out in the hot sun. It is only 90 here today and very humid.
Talk to you all later,
Kerry
Old 09-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #132  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
I made it through my day successfully. I found the school for my meeting okay. I was an hour early so I went to Wendy's for a nice dinner of a salad and iced tea. I went to my meeting and got there 20 minutes early and no one that was suppose to be there was there yet. So I was wondering if I was in the wrong place or had the wrong date and time when everyone showed up 5 minutes before the meeting was to start. The meeting was to set up our accounts for our on-line graduate class to implement the information I had learned in my Science workshop this summer. We just got started and the server went down so we had to wait around for about 30 minutes when we decided to go to the local library and use the computers there. So instead of getting out at 6 we got out of our meeting at 7. Our instructor was only going to keep up an hour. I was excited about that when she first told us that. But Murphy's Law had to come into the picture. LOL
Hope you all had a wonderful day! Looking forward to the weekend. I am going to a football game tomorrow night with my dh and stepsons', Saturday going to workout at Curves and than going out with some friends from my first teaching job that evening. On Sunday I have to attend my stepsons' football game. But I plan on finding sometime to relax a little bit and do some Kerry things.
Well I need to go get ready for school by making my lunch and filling up my gallon water jug. Talk to you all later. Have a great night!
Kerry
Old 09-22-2005, 10:32 PM   #133  
burned out bus driver

Okie dokie, this is my 3rd attempt to post today! Now that it is just Ds and me awake (both of us being the resident night owls.....)Maybe, just maybe I can get a post in!

Kerry- sounds as though your meeting went ok, despite the delays and difficulties. And I hope your weekend turns out as well as it seems as it will be- I am so impressed with your upbeat "looking foward to the weekend". My line would be more like "dragging my can into the weekend " or something poetic like that... How nice that your lesson plan is done for next week- which means that this weekend is yours to enjoy!!!! Hope you can sneak in some "Kerry" time, and of course, time at Curves too.

Pam, how did the visit with the ENT go???? Any answers? (praying for you!)
Love your story about the future Idol contestant. Somehow you have to find a way to harness his "energy" to help cope with him!

Tammy- hope your body clock got reset.....I am wondering how your could sleep after a walk?! (my walk is usually like taking a cold shower and I can't sleep for hours) A wise man your Dh is letting you sleep.....very wise indeed. And how nice for you! Get all your work done?

Robyn- congrats on all the progress with your kids!!!! Bet that makes you feel good! BTW- you gotta come up with another lunch idea. How many points do you allow yourself for lunch usually????? "Ennui" will kill ya- perhaps I can help you avoid that. Now your end of the week approach is more like mine.......please, lets just get this crummy week over !

Mouse- hope your trip tomorrow goes well. (hey, whaddya mean if the bus shows up.......I could drive down and take you!hehehe ) Good news for you about your endocrinologist and the billing, merciful doctors are so appreciated (and rare!). Hope you get your swim/gym time in this weekend.
As far as feeding our felines- well Fidget (who earns that name more each day) eats like a bird, and only till she is full. I could have the "bottomless" bowl of dry food out for her and it would be fine. Miss Piggy- aka RC eats, and eats and eats. She is fat- we have her excellency on reduced calorie cat food (Fidgie is on kitten food)- and as soon as she finishes her measured portion of diet stuff she sticks her fat face in Fidget's bowl- which I then must hide. (great run on sentence, Ginny). So I am afraid I am stuck with the 4 am alarm clock. Good thing that Dh likes Fidgie or she would be road kill outside my house. (just kidding).

Survived today. Monsters are beginning to act up- tomorrow the crabby bus driver will emerge. Had to pull over and shut down to gain some semblence of control- and still immediately after I started up again chaos broke out. This seating chart is only one week old (new world record for the shortest lasting seating chart). My biggest problem is that my route is largely 3rd graders- very few kindergarteners and5th graders. The kindergarteners are great because they are usually so intimidated the first year that they dare not misbehave (and the parents still have a high level of interest in behavior).
The 5th graders at least know the rules, and well, until spring show some self control. But I have way, way too many off the wall 3rd and 4th graders- they are seated in the back of the bus- too far back for my personal comfort- but I have no room elsewhere and someone has to sit in the back. So I am stuck....but somehow will prevail. I have 3 charming gentlemen who will find themselves sitting in "Row 1" tomorrow am- and it will not please them one bit. Oh well......
I sprained my ankle this am- oh, I usually do thisonce a year- I was doing a wee bit too much multitasking this am and fell. Banged my knee too- took 2 advil and kept on ticking. The ankle is a bit swollen- but I have functioned pretty well with it for today. (happened at 7:30 this am). It had better not keep me from my walk/tape tomorrow. You will hear me screaming if it does.
Lets see.....this weekend, Ds has a double header- and now that he drives that helps a ton. Dd has a soccer game, so I will be there. After that I was asked to drive the HS band to the homecoming parade......(2 1/2 hours pay for aboat 15 minutes total driving- a win- win in my book! we need the$$$).
I think I get to stay downtown and watch the parade....buy myself a coffee...there are some occasional advantages to this job. Dh????? Anyone want to guess where he will be????? Nah, not the dog house- but at Dd's double header. Actually it is the last game (s) he or any of us will be able to see, the next few weeks after this her team will be travelling too far to get to. So I should get to see Dh Sunday- which is better than last weekend, when I only saw him sleeping after he watched a gazillion baseball games.

SO- shut up Ginny- get some sleep, I am sure you are all sick of my mindless babblings.....Happy friday!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #134  

TGIF!!!!

Hey everyone.

Thursday morning: only took 10 minutes to fall asleep after I posted around 12:20am. I was "whooped."

Thursday night: fell asleep watching some celebrity dance show at 9:15! Woke up at 2:30, laid in bed until 3:30, got up, finished the work I should have done the night before, got ready for school, and out the door at 6:00 am. Went to the store for dry ice and other cool supplies for a neat 'change of state' Harry Potter activity for my freshmen. It was so worth it! They loved the lab. I even did part of it for my junior/senior AP class......they were also impressed. Great day to end the week on.

DH is in golf tournament with high school bud. Will not be home until around 9:00 tonight. DD is ????? She hasn't come home from school and hasn't called. She is quite the airhead (very book smart, but common sense.....I wonder). She knows dad will not be home for awhile so she's taking advantage of me.

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start!

Talk to you later,
Tammy
Old 09-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #135  

Hey and Happy Friday!
I feel so tired today.....I have so much to do this weekend, and don't know where to start.
Well, went to the ENT, and he said I'm full of infection the whole right side of my head, according to the cat scan. He didn't see whatever it was on the xray. I was really nervous about that, and my blood pressure was up. So, I'm on to round three of antibiotics. I'm so tired of taking stupid medicine. Also, a decongestant and steroid nasal spray. The medicine was fifty dollars for ten tablets. Must be some super strong stuff. I sure hope it works. Cause pain sucks!
Lately I just feel so out of control with me. I am not eating right. I eat well one day and then eat terribly the next. In answer to your question Kerry. No, I'm a bum............I have felt so terrible lately, and tired. Tuesday night, I cried for three hours with pain in my face, ears and teeth. The pressure was worse than childbirth I swear! So, I am not excercising. I am drinking unsweetened tea today instead of Pepsi, so that's a plus. Had chicken for dinner. But, I feel starving all the time lately.
School has been fine. I too, have all my lesson plans done for next week. I still haven't entered my grades on the computer for progress reports. I guess I will do that tomorrow night, while my husband is acting like a maniac watching his football...........It gets pretty ugly around here. Last Saturday night, my husband drank too much. He fell asleep on the couch. I was happy about that cause he had been yelling at the TV for three hours. I had the bedroom door shut, and the volume up, and he still drowned out the tv. Then, he threw up all the way from the living room, through the kitchen through my bedroom into the bathroom. He has NEVER
done that before. He fell asleep. I was up in the middle of the night cleaning my house. SO, there better not be a repeat performance of that or else he is dead meat. What really pissed me off, was that I had just cleaned. He has been apologizing to me for a week.
I am going to try and get my fall decorations out this weekend also, although it will probably be next weekend before I actually get to do it. I really need to clean clean clean.

Talk to you all later!

Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote