Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #166  

Alisha, yes I'm in the humid sunny state of Florida. I lived here 23 years ago for about 3 years...and now I'm back. I'll be honest...I really prefer Texas. I love the land, my church, the people, the diversity, their accents, the food (I'm still wearing plenty of it )...and all my wonderful friends. Sigh...I know that I will adjust in time. You are so right about the "moving feeling". I am beginning to come out of that I can't believe I've moved fog. It was an emotional time having to surrender my Texas tags and license the other day. Oh, my goodness brand new Florida tags cost me $185!!!!!!!!! Thank God that it was only twenty dollars for the license. I think if I say "it's not like that in Texas" one more time some of the Floridians will give me a one way ticket back to Texas...probably in a crate by a very slow train, LOL .

I've been doing very well with my eating. I haven't actually resumed exercising, but moving these boxes, unpacking, organizing, the many deep knee bends to put things in the top cabinet then change my mind and put them in the bottom cabinet, is definitely an extensive workout.

I hope everyone is doing well. Unpacking all those clothes that are too small for me has provided added motivation. We can do it!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Healthy; 07-21-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #167  
Life is a cabaret

Hi there Healthy! I'm glad to see that you've made it!

The Florida humidity is a real killer isn't it? I'm used to the rain and damp, but in England it's usually about 42 degrees, NOT 92! I can't even shower in the mornings anymore because I just get so clammy. I can't even get my makeup on straight because it wants to run down my face. So, unless I want to show up at work looking like Marilyn Manson, I opt for an evening shower these days

I know exactly what you mean about the "they don't do it that way in ____" feeling! I did the same thing for about the last 4 years I lived in England. I know that people were ready to kill me but I couldn't help it! I really missed all of the 'conveniences' we have here and it just got worse as time when on. That's why I was really glad I could come home!

I'll bet you'll be surprised at how much weight you lose or even maintain while moving. It's very hard work! I remember when I moved from one place to the other, I was eating rubbish - a Cornish Pasty here, a bottle of Coke there, a box of fries from the local take away place... but funny enough I dropped almost 10lbs because I was so stressed and packing and unpacking. I think that was one out of two times in my LIFE that I've lost weight without actually going at it full tilt. Don't worry and don't get discouraged. Remember, it's all about what you put in versus what you burn off so you may be very suprised!

I'm very excited today because I hit my 20 pound mark plus a half a pound! So, 20.5 lbs down in 3 weeks. I'm so happy I could just dance around! I can't SEE a huge difference but I can feel it in places. Things that used to bind and hurt don't anymore and I can actually get my hands comfortably into the pockets of my jeans! It's baby steps but I'm getting there.

Tonight is my night at Curves (and tomorrow) so I'll be visiting them. I'm just waiting until August 7 so I can get on that scale and blow them all away! They'll probably have some downer to say but who cares? It's working!

I don't know what happened to everyone else (although I know poor Debs is running her socks off! ). We're getting a little thin on the posts lately. Where is everyone? I miss everyone's reports and support!

Anyway, take care all and hang in there!

Alisha
HourglassLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #168  

Alisha, I am soooooooooooooo proud of you and envious. To me 20.5 pounds sounds like 50 pouds. If I stepped on my scale and saw that I was 20.5 pounds lighter I'd jump around shaking my 20.5 pounds less behind!!!!!!!

I don't know what happened to the rest of the ladies, but I hope that they are all doing well. They'll probably post again soon.

I've got to do something about my large arms! I decided to wear a suit to church yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how loose the pants fit (yeah!!!), but the right arm of the jacket was snug. I've noticed this with several tops that I've worn lately. So today I'm going to begin more arm exercises in hope of reducing my arms. Do you have any suggestions? My husband an I are going to begin walking in the evenings. Maybe a few hand weights while walking might do the trick.

Hey, how do you access all those cute smilie faces?

I am going to a new gynecologist this Thursday to discuss my hormone imbalance, slightly enlarged thyroid, routine check up, and weight issues. I pray that I'll leave her office a new healthier woman.

I gotta get back logging my food intake because it's a good accountability strategy for me.

Well, time to unpack another box and figure out where to put all this "stuff" that I've accumulated over the last 23 years. The trash sounds good to me right about now .

Last edited by Healthy; 07-25-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #169  
Life is a cabaret

Aww thanks for your support Healthy! I really appreciate it. The woman at Curves certainly was no help (as I suspected). When I told her I'd hit the 20# mark she just went, "Oh, good." I might as well have been talking to my wet dishrag for all the inspiration she gave me. Oh well. No skin off my nose - just fat off my body.

I don't weigh again until Wednesday (officially) but so far I'm down another 2lbs. I still haven't cheated and I'm doing the Curves thing twice a week despite it all.

Oh the smilies... well if you click on Post Reply (not the quick one) you'll see the smilies on the right hand side. If you click on More, it will open a separate window with tons of them. Just put your cursor in the message where you want the smiley and click the smiley from the window and poof! There ya go!

Are you right handed? It's a general rule of thumb that whatever hand you use the most (ie right handed) your body on that side will usually be slightly larger because you inadvertently use the muscles more. I'm left handed so my left fingers, arm, thigh and even foot are all slightly bigger than my right. I'm ambidextrous in a lot of things so I don't have a huge difference, but I can certainly tell. But don't worry! You just keep on losing and EVERYTHING you try on will be loosy goosy!

I hope that your appointment goes alright and that your doctor can help you feel better. Just hang in there. At least there's one thing that can be said: Your lifestyle has improved greatly so you're reaping many benefits besides the weight loss!

Take care and post when you can.

Alisha
Old 07-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #170  

Default Sparklerose/new here

Hi, just joined last night. I am 59 years old and have 13 grandchildren. I live in Florida and have lost 45 pounds. I have about 25 to go. Been struggling with these last pounds for months. now. As I get older, it's harder to get off. I am on the WW plan - its a great plan.
Been looking for a good support group.
Have a great afternoon.
Sparklerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #171  
Life is a cabaret

Default Welcome

Hi Sparklerose and welcome to the forum and our support group! It's lovely to have you here!

Weigh to go for losing 45lbs! That's a tremendous achievement! We'll give you plenty of support so those last 25lbs will fly off!

You're from my neck of the woods - I'm in the Sunshine State too. I've only been here for just under 7 months and there are times I swear I could sweat the rest of my weight off! Nevermind the humanity - Oh the HUMIDITY!

I'm sure that you'll find that you receive a LOT of support here because you're doing WW. A lot of poeple on the forum have done or are doing that program. I tried it three different times but I just have too many old and difficult habits with food so the "everything in moderation" just didn't work for me. I'm over the moon that it's working so well for you, though! Wow.. 45lbs.. what I wouldn't give!

As for me.. well I'm only down 2.5lbs this week, which is kind of a bummer. However, I've finished my first month with a 23lbs loss so I guess I shouldn't grumble. It's very difficult to remind yourself that you can't have it gone overnight (although it sure as heck seems to have come on that way!!) Tomorrow and Friday are my Curves days so I'll be a good girl and go despite it all.

I hope this post finds everyone well. Take care.

Alisha
Old 07-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #172  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklerose
Hi, just joined last night. I am 59 years old and have 13 grandchildren. I live in Florida and have lost 45 pounds. I have about 25 to go. Been struggling with these last pounds for months. now. As I get older, it's harder to get off. I am on the WW plan - its a great plan.
Been looking for a good support group.
Have a great afternoon.
What a blessing to be such a young woman with 59 grand babies!!! I'm looking forward to my daughter getting married and having "MY" first grandchild .

Wow 45 pounds, way to go Sparklerose !!!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #173  

Hey Alisha, thanks to helping me with the smilie faces , now I'm on a roll....

I still have not found the courage to step on my scale to see how much I weigh. I guess I won't have a choice tomorrow when I go to a new gynecologist. Oh, I dislike stepping on that dreaded scale. The only good thing is that several nurses have told me that I look smaller than the weight that's registering on the scale.

Alisha, I am right handed and you are right about everything being larger on my right side. I've been doing some arm exercises the last couple of days and I feel the aches and pains...soon I should see the benefits .

Well off to run my errands. Everyone take care!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #174  
I will do it!

Hi gang! Where is everyone? Vi? What are you stuck at the gym or the new neighbor?

We are moved in. Well we moved-I still have TONS of boxes to unpack. Going from a larger place to a smaller one has been a challenge.

I went back to work on the 25. I've spent a lot of time there this week. I am going in today-Saturday. I haven't done anything to get ready for the first week of school.

Went to the dr. because I needed a refill on my knee medication. I gained 20 lbs. since 2003. The dr. was not HAPPY! He might adjust my sythroid even if the levels say I'm in normal range.

He suggested eating less carbs and more protein. AHHHHHHHHHH. I won't go Atkins or South Beach--I'll just limit my carb intake. That is going to be hard-but I will do it and I must do it!

I am going to stop by Curves on my way to work and see if they transfered my membership. I haven't gone since the first week of July. That sucks!

Everyone have a great day!

debs
debsturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #175  

My family and I went to Universal Studios yesterday, in all that heat, and had a good time. I believe that after 5 hours of walking around I have sweat off 50 pounds . Wouldn't that be nice.

I woke up this morning with everything hurting after that work out yesterday , but I feel good.

How is everyone doing?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #176  

How are you ladies doing?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #177  
Life is a cabaret

Default Hi everyone!

I'm sorry folks - I didn't mean to leave you hanging! I do most of my posting at work and our internet has been down from last Thursday until yesterday morning. Needless to say I was busy playing 'catch up' and couldn't do a lot of recreational anything!

So Debs! It's great to hear from you! I can imagine the frustration of trying to condense everything to fit into your new home, but I always look at it as a great opportunity to throw out things that I really don't need. I'm down to bare bones now, especially after moving from England, but it feels good. Although my flat in England was a pretty good size, there was just NO storage for anything. I had ONE closet and that was packed to the hilt with plastic storage containers full of photographs, sewing stuff, my cats' carrier boxes and the like. After living that way for 4 years (in that flat) I had had enough with clutter. My apartment here is practically Japanese minimalist! Anyway, don't worry - you'll find a place for your things - it will just take some time and patience. Hang in there! We're with you all the way. It's just great to have you back. Things are getting a little empty in here.

Healthy dear! I'm sorry I left you in the lurch there. Stupid Verizon! I'm glad to hear that your arm exercises seem to be working for you. My upper body strength is about nil but I'm trying to work on it. I work extra hard on the arm machines at Curves and it's nice when I can feel that they're doing something. You went to Universal Studios in this heat? Oh my, I bet you weigh all of about 10lbs now! I just step outside and I break out in instant perspiration! I've never dealt really well with humidity, but here I am anyway!

Let's see... other than downed lines and internet, what can I tell you all... Well, I only went to Curves one day last week. I went Thursday and had intended to go on Friday but I had to wait for the UPS guy to deliver a package Friday. He came about 6:00pm and, even though I still could have gone, I honestly couldn't get the energy to do it. I know.. shameful. I should've gone Saturday but I had a headache and I didn't even get out of bed. SO... I'm going tonight and I'll have to go on Saturday. I'm going to the Vans Warped Tour all day tomorrow (hello SUN!) and I've been looking forward to it for months! Saturday it is then.

Despite my downfall, I lost 4lbs this week. I'm edging towards a 30 lbs loss and it's driving me nuts to get there. Isn't that absurd? I have another 123lbs to lose and I'm worried about hitting 30lbs like it's some huge thing! I mean it is, but it isn't you know? I guess we always want more, huh?

Anyway, I hope this post finds everyone well. I'm also going to use it as a swift kick in the booty for each and every one of you to post! Our group has slid down to page 2!! How pathetic! We need each other so let's at least try to set aside 5 mins a day to write and at least say hi. No one has to write novels but a general how you're doing would be great.

Take care everyone.

Alisha

Last edited by HourglassLass; 08-04-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #178  

Hello everyone.

Alisha congrats on reaching the 30 pound marker since you last post . I just know that you've done it.

Guess what? I've lost 8 pounds!!!!!!!!!! It was a pleasant surprise to step on the scale at the doctor's office and not see the nurse adjust the scales so much towards the right. I attribute my weightloss to my exercise program. I've even noticed a reduction in my arms. Shirts that use to cut off the circulation in my arms are now becoming loose.

Like you Alisha I'm happy with the 8 pounds, but I'll be ecstatic when I reach the 50 pound marker...so that's 42 more to go. Let me get on my recumbent bike...maybe I can sweat off another 2 pounds .
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #179  
Life is a cabaret

Hey Healthy! It's nice to finally be able to post! Our stupid DSL went down yet again at work and it's caused no end of trouble! The bugger better stay up now or I swear I'm going to rip it off the wall!

Well, I didn't hit the 30lbs mark as I had hoped. I had a slip-up and I'm not happy! I went to that all day music festival last Friday... well suffice to say, I ended up in the first aid tent about 7:30pm that night from heat exhaustion! I was so good too! I took my shakes with me and drank them and water all day. What I didn't do was drink Gatorade. I should have because I was sweating so much that my electrolytes got depleted and caused a near tachia cardic (sp?) episode! Stupid me, but I didn't want the sugar. Anyway, I slept most of Saturday but Sunday - oh jeeze I was SO hungry! I had shakes and pickles and bouillon but I still could have eaten my own foot! After four hours of arguing with myself, I finally ended up going to Burger King! It just looked so good on TV! Well, I ended up throwing most of it away because it didn't taste very good and made me feel unwell. My stomach bloated and I couldn't even sleep during the night because I felt so gross!

I still managed a 1lb loss this week but I'm very disappointed that I did that or I'd probably have hit the 30lbs mark. Oh well. What's done is done. I went right back on my program and realized what a foolish thing I did. I'm almost glad, in a way, that I did it because it reminded me that although these things LOOK good on TV, they really taste nothing like you expect them to. It also reminded me what horrible things they do to your body! So, back on track with a view to hitting 30lbs by next Wednesday morning.

So besides me, how are you doing? You had an 8 lb loss! My LIFE how amazing is that?? You must be very proud of yourself! I'm sure proud of you! Weigh to GO GO GO! You're doing everything right and your results show you that you are! Just keep the faith and if you feel like having a cheat, just remember my little "indiscretion" and maybe that will keep you from the no-no food. You hang in there and let me know how you're doing!

As far as the rest of you... well, I hope everything is going alright. This thread has pretty much dwindled down to nothing and I'm pretty sad about that. Nevertheless, I hope that everyone is well and that the scale is moving in a steady downward direction.

Take care all.

Alisha
Old 08-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #180  

Alisha it is sad that this thread has dwindled.

Please do not beat yourself up about having a few bites of Burger King food. You are doing excellent . Let's look at the reality...you have lost a lot of weight , have made some postive lifestyle changes, exercising , and although the burger wasn't appetizing you have gotten that out of your system and moved forward. Would you have done that in the past? I don't know about you, but with me I would have gone from Burger King, to chips, pretzels, Subway tuna sandwich, cookies, cookies, cookies...it would have been like a snowball and all the time I would be saying, "oh, well...I'll just start my diet tomorrow! ".

You are awesome !

I am back to modifying my eating. Lately I've eaten some foods that have triggered my IBS so I MUST get back to eating correctly. I look forward to getting on my recumbent bike tonight since I didn't yesterday.

I was reading a Curve magazine at the doctor's office today and I'm going to try to remain at 1400 calories a day. There were some really inspirational stories and pictures of women, just like myself, who lost an amazing amount of weight. What I have heard about Curves is that many of the women begin to bond and encourage each other? Is this true or just a publicity tactic? There is a Curves across the street from me...maybe I need to check it out. May I ask how much should I expect to spend to join? My local YMCA is fairly reasonable, although higher than what it costed us in Texas, but I think I need a facility that's all women. Some of those co-ed places are just a place for men to pick up women and visa versa . Also, seeing those petite women in those cute, but skimpy outfits does nothing for my ego as I'm sweating off those calories in sweat pants and my husband's old tee shirt .

Hopefully other women will begin posting again. If not I might just start sending you PM.

Stay cool .