Old 07-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #136  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Left work early yesterday and went along to the Eyeman. I spoke to one of the receptionists and checked the time of my appointment which was 4.40 (I’d forgotten my phone and therefore lost all my appointment times as well). They said then that I could go in early as there had been several cancellations between now and then so report back in 20 minutes. Okay.

I needed a couple of new bras, so I went to the underwear section of the department store and a lady came up and asked if she could help. I told her the story of how I have lost some weight and redistributed some weight and she said she would give me a fitting. Fine. To cut a long story short, all my old bra’s have been between a 14 and a 16C, now I find that although I have lost several inches in the bust I am a 16D. And even worse the old bras still fit!!!!! I’ve never been a D anything before in my whole life, but now I am a D. What’s more the sample bras she gave me to try on fitted.

So my question for the day is - have they devalued the boob??? I might be able to understand this if these were the horrible made in Indonesia/ Taiwan/ China/ Vietnam/ India type clothes that we have to put up with in the shops, but these are either made locally or made in NZ. Why do manufacturers put us through this trauma - or is it that we allow them to treat us in this way. And the prices are horrendous, even for the cheap imports.
Clothes used to be different sizes depending on the brand. You used to find brands that fitted and just keep on buying that brand. Now you can get identical trousers for example, wearing identical labels, on the same rack and bearing the same size and one will fit and one won’t. I’m getting really hacked off with this. I’m tired of paying money for inferior rubbish. I might have to start making my own again - if I ever find the time to indulge in some sewing or crafty stuff.
The wife, of a bloke I used to work with, works for a clothing store in Stones Corner, just down the road a bit. She was telling me that some of these imports are just ridiculous. One container load of shirts from India came with 1 sleeve and the buttons and buttonholes on the same side of the front. How???!!! Where is the quality control?? It seems that they come over by the container load and get sent back by the container loads as well. How stupid are we to put up with this???

Apart from that, I went back to the eyeman to get the news that I can no longer wear the permanent contacts. He has given me a pair of disposables (3 months = $95), permanents cost $200 and last 2 years. If these new (rolls royce type) lenses don’t work for me and they don’t for everyone then I have to resort to glasses. I HATE GLASSES - these WILL work.

And because of those two things to think about I missed the gym yesterday - well that's my excuse anyway. Today might also be a bit of a battle to get there as I am getting my hair cut and foils put in and maybe some sort of colour since grey is on the increase - or maybe I will get streaks put it so it all looks the same. Who knows - I’ll talk to Cara about it tonight.

So here I am, bigger than ever, poorer than before, missing the gym and going grey. Isn’t life interesting!!!!!!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #137  

Default RE: We CAN Do This...

Hey all...!!

Just a quick note to say hello and wish everyone a happy hump day...!!!
HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #138  

Default RE: Mediterrain Diet or Eating Plan...

I should be at school. Should be.

I just finished watching a rather humorous spot on the television show "The View". A chef from the magazine 'Cooking Light' was on. He and his wife have both recently lost 60 pounds by, 'they say' changing up ingredients in foods we eat routinely and love. He brought in 6 sample desserts for the hosts to taste test against the traditional recipe. BIG mistake. Time after time, the hosts insulted the lower calorie foods, and raved about the real deals. He kept his cool, and a good attitude, but it was blunt. I say just a few bites of the real deal. I have a freind that says your taste buds only really experience the full taste the first few bites anyway. Now, if we could only follow this philosophy the weight loss industry would be outta business!

I found this interesting article on the Mediterrian Diet. It seems to resemble the new dietary guideline that were recommended in January. Take a read...

Understanding the Mediterranean Diet

Barbara Bourassa Nubella LLC Editor-in-Chief

The other day one of my friends asked me about the Mediterranean diet. She had heard someone talking about the benefits of this eating style, and she wanted to know where she could buy the book. I had to laugh to myself, as there is no one book that describes this diet. And using the word diet to describe it isn't really accurate, either, as the Mediterranean diet is really more of an eating style than a specific program.

Still, because it has been studied so often, and so many experts agree on its benefits, I thought it was worth pulling together a primer on the Mediterranean diet.

The Mediterranean diet reflects the lifestyle and eating habits of the people living in the Mediterranean region, which includes Italy, France, Turkey, the Middle East, North Africa, Spain, and Greece.

As such, the diet includes the following characteristics: 1) high in fruits and vegetables (especially those that are locally grown); 2) high in legumes (such as beans and lentils); 3) high in olive oil (vs. butter or other oils); 4) low in animal products, such as meat, poultry, and saturated fat; 5) moderately low in dairy products; 6) high in nuts; 7) moderately high in fish; 8) high in unrefined cereals (think whole grains); and 9) moderate consumption of wine.

Study after study proclaims the benefits of the Mediterranean diet. One of the most recent studies, which followed more than 74,600 men and women aged 60 and older from nine European countries, appeared in the April 2005 issue of the British Medical Journal. In short, the researchers concluded that eating a diet rich in fruit, vegetables, grains, olive oil, legumes, and fish may help people live longer.

Many experts believe the diet's low levels of saturated fat contribute to its benefits. Others point to the proven health benefits associated with eating nuts. The diet also has very high levels of antioxidants, which are found in fruit, vegetables, and red wine. And a diet rich in antioxidants has been shown to help protect against certain cancers and age-related diseases.

The good news is that following the Mediterranean diet isn't that difficult, or even that different, from what many nutritionists recommend. Start by eating fresh or dried fruit for dessert, for instance, and snack on small portions of almond or walnuts. In the kitchen, cook with light-colored olive oil instead of butter. Eat as many vegetables as possible, especially leafy greens. Try to eat fish twice a week, and center one meal per week around beans, lentils, or other legumes. Experiment with ethnic whole grains, such as bulgur wheat or pearl barley. And last, but not least, eat less red meat.

And remember--this is not a diet for dramatic weight loss. This is an eating style for a lifetime--hopefully a long and healthy lifetime.

Interesting stuff, huh?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi Ladies,

Shad -- I really enjoyed reading your post today. I can agree with you when it comes to contact lenses. I have been wearing them for 39 years and the ones I wear now are Bausch & Lomb two-week soft lenses. Today at work for some reason my right contact was really uncomfortable so I ended up just taking it out. Lucky for me the left contact is for distance so I was able to work, as well as drive home. Here in AZ I also went from a size C to a D. I believe you are correct--they have just changed the sizing to suit their needs. Perhaps when we have to wear a D that makes us happier!

HalGal -- I sure do enjoy your graphics. They always make me happy! Gene is doing quite well and seems to be getting stronger each day. A physical therapist came over two times this week and is trying to get authorization for a couple more weeks. Now if we can just get this catheter thing straightened out!

Well ladies I am not doing well with my eating--it seems in the evening I am falling into my old habits of eating goodies. This is not good because if I don't get with a program real soon, all those nice clothes in my closet will have to be given away.

I am probably just over tired today because I started work at 5:45 a.m. which meant I had to get up at 3:30.

Take care,
Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #140  

Hello Ladies,

Just a quick hello. Went out of town for the day work related. It's a nice drive out to the country. Trying to get the house ready for a barbeque this saturday.

need to run! will post more later.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #141  

Default RE: Missing In Action...

Good Friday AM Movers and Losers!

I am taking a short break to post as I clean out MIA ingredients from the rear shelves of my refrigerator. I cannot believe how old some of the things are that I simply forgot about were. I had a few canned items that were beyond the best used by date, as well as a bottle of dressing. When I wonder where my money goes, it is simple things like this that add up. Anyway... I'll scrub the shelves before I restock. I'll also try to purchase foods for the week only. I have a friend that does this. His refrigerator is pretty empty most of the time, but full of relevant foods to be consumed 'now'.

I need to go into school for the afternoon. Students do not return until August 17th, but my list is long, long, long to get ready! I'll drop Rocky by the groomer on the way. Hey, this is cool. He picked up a piece of celaphane paper I had placed on the coffee table to go into the trash. I told him that was bad, and to come here. He did! Imagine that?

Have a GREAT Friday girls....
Old 07-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #142  

Been a busy day today. I have dusted, swept, sanded, cleaned, washed, folded, dusted some more, changed the washers in the taps and am now in the process of processing the veges I bought today into soup and also roast vege for salads during the week. The roasted red peppers are done, now the veges are in for their turn. I still have to prepare the eggplant and do some onions. But we are getting there. Then I am about to do some fish chowder and pumpkin soup. I also have some bananas that will either be made into banana cake or chucked. I won't eat them when they get to this point.

I think I also have a problem with my ceiling. I'm not yet sure, but I was plastering up there today and there seems to be a distinct lack of wood in a couple of areas. I poked a rather large hole in it trying to find the beam to screw up the plasterboard. Maybe tomorrow I will have to get into the ceiling space to see if there is something happening up there. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't fall through or something else stupid!!!!

Tomorrow is some more sanding and some paint. And I guess I will have to dust again. I am going to a jewellery party in the afternoon. I hope we don't have to sit around there to long. Only promised to go because of a good friend. It will do me good to get out of the house, but there is still so much to do here. At the moment, whatever I get done is visible, which is one reason why I want to get on with it. Preparation seems to take so long and you don't really get to see much for it.

Love the ostriches on the graphic Hal. I know what you mean about things that congregrate in the back of the fridge. I often wonder how they got there. I'm sure they move that way by themselves.

Glad you agreed with me re the clothes Nita. I really get annoyed about silly things like that these days. Maybe it is me getting old. But it just seems sheer stupidity to buy clothes that don't fit, aren't the right size and no one seems to know what the right size is. Don't get me started again. I've just had a nice peaceful day without a whinge or grizzle in it.

Time to go get the veges out of the oven. Gotta go, I can smell them. The herbs smell wonderful.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #143  

Default RE: Gloomy, hot and humid Saturday AM...

This will be quick as I want to get out the door this early AM to shop the farmers market. I am going to Louisville to spend some time with my friend in from Los Angeles. She is house sitting for her sister and brother in law. They have a really nice in ground pool. Too bad I would not wear a suit infront of another human. I have a group of friends that go to a local hotel pool for exerise and I admire them.

Shad: Tell me about roasting veggies for salads? I noticed a local Mexican restaurant offers these now as a meat substitute for all of their products. What all are you roasting, times and most importantly tell me about the herbs!
Again, I could never imagine plastering. You are an inspiration. I need to 'get busy'. There is a chance my nephews will be dropping by the end of the week on their way back from Florida. If this happens, they will stay here a few days, and I'll take them back to Indiana. This place needs to be turned inside out - top to bottom. Nothing like a good reason to do it.

Nita: Oh my gosh, 5:45AM to work? I thought it was bad that I have to been at school at 7A. I know it will be difficult to be in bed, sleeping on time. I am so addicted to the food channel. I've not prepared the first recipe I just gwak. Try to make better choices, and keep your place stocked with the better choices. I had just lost 107 pounds by diet and exercise when I took guardianship of my Grandmother. I put it all back on and then some within the first 3 years. I found myself making foods for 'her'. I knew better, but I was using food as a stress reliever. Now I have the stress of all the extra pounds - my living prison. There is no easy answer. I saw Oprah yesterday with a show on favorite clips over the years. One was where she compared her eating decisions to an abusive husband. She said she had to make the same choice to stop eating, eat well as the abusive husband had to stop abusing. It is a choice.

OneDay: Picnic, Picnic, Picnic... details! I hope you have a great day. My Mother's birthday was July 4th. She will be gone a year the 29th of this month. Time flies by...slips by... says good-bye. Anyway... let us know how it went.

[CENTER]THIN alert...! THIN alert...! THIN alert...! THIN alert...!

Here is a recipe using summer produce. It has red peppers and pesto in it.

Pesto & Roasted Red Pepper Dip

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 2 hr 10 min
Makes: 36 servings, 2 Tbsp. dip and 16 crackers each

1 container (8 oz.) Cream Cheese Spread, divided
1 container (7 oz.) Basil Pesto Sauce
1 container (16 oz.) Sour Cream, divided
roasted red peppers, drained, chopped (about 1 cup)
Snack Crackers

REMOVE half of the cream cheese spread; place in medium bowl. Add pesto; mix until well blended. Stir in half of the sour cream. Place remaining cream cheese spread in separate medium bowl. Add peppers; mix well. Stir in remaining sour cream. Cover both bowls.

REFRIGERATE at least 2 hours.

SPOON dips alternately into 1 serving bowl. Swirl with knife to marbleize, if desired. Serve with the crackers.

This sounds really good to me.

Shout outs to Mooz!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #144  

Hello Ladies,

Just a quick hello, took yesterday off to really clean house, ended up logging on to work site for about 2 1/2 hours yesterday morning. Anyway a few weeks ago I had started cleaning files, and I never really finished that project. I have a hard time with throwing things away. And it can be anything, papers , broken knick knacks. I guess I like clutter. As Mooz says I declutterd the house had two big trash bags and if it could be donated went in one bag, the other trash. House looks good this morning. Now it's time to go grocery shopping, then come home, clean off patio and get ready. It's my mom's 74 birthday and to top it off my only nephew who has been living in North Carolina for 10 years is moving back. He'll be in later today. So we are all excited to have him home. My brother has volunteer to do the cooking on the grill and my two sister are helping out with making something.

Wishing everyone a great day!
Old 07-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #145  

Have a few minutes while I have a bit of toast and a cup of coffee. Then I need to get back into it. Sanding and plastering will take up much of this morning and then when I get home, there should be enough light to add some paint to the ceiling and walls. Mind you if I keep at it, I should be able to get some painted before I go out. Really don't know why I said I would go to this jewellery party. I don't want any jewellery really. Guess it was just to go out with a friend and see something outside my own house.
Went up into the ceiling this morning. There is no problem with the timber in that corner mainly because the timber is nowhere near the nail that the builder hammered in to the plasterboard. Aaargggh. Now there is a whole stack of little beasties (spiders) living up there so I got tangled up in a couple of webs. I now need a good soak in the tub to get rid of the feeling.

Feeling a bit sore this morning after that mammoth effort at the gym yesterday. It will go away no doubt. Wonder when the muscles will get limber enough not to hurt anymore??? It seems that I am always finding new ones here and there and there.

I'm going to have a go at that pesto dip. I love roasted red peppers and do my own from fresh. I have a container full of them in the fridge right now. As for roasting veges - I do three different types. The red peppers I quarter, seed and take out the membranes and then put them under a fierce grill until the skins are blackened. Then I take them out, put them on a plate and cover with a clean tea towel and let them steam until just warm. Then I skin them and put them in a container and into the fridge. They last about a week (as long as I let them). The root veges and pumpkin (sweet potato, parsnip, carrots on occasion, corn cobs cut up, onions) I peel, cut into bite size lumps and then put them into an oil/ herb mix. Use a good olive oil or even an olive oil/ garlic spray will do the trick. Not too much - we don't want to cook them in oil, just give them a coating to stop sticking. The herbs/ spices can be whatever you fancy. If you buy the already mixed varieties, check for salt content. Some of them have amazing salt content. Anyway, last nights ones were Herbes de Provence - a mixture of thyme, majoram, parsley, tarragon, celery seeds and lavender - yes lavender. I have also used cajun spices, tandoori spices, italian herbs, greek herbs, morroccan style mixtures etc. It depends on what you like. I then rub the oil/ herbs all over the veg and put them into a tray which has either been lined with foil or sprayed with oil to stop them sticking. Bake about 20 minutes until done.
The third thing I do is eggplant. Now eggplant sucks up oil like nothing else except maybe mushrooms so I dry bake these. Peel, cut into rounds, sprinkle with spice or herbs as above and bake about 15 minutes on a foil lined tray or ceramic dish. Then I just put what veges I fancy into a fresh mixed lettuce salad, add the peppers and drizzle on a good dressing. I'm using a creamy wild lime dressing at the moment. Don't think that will be available in the US as it is made here using wild fruit and herbs. That's about it. Tastes good and is more filling that a normal lettuce salad.

That's about it. Coffee break over. Back to work. Can you all hear the whip cracking?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #146  

Hello Ladies,

Just a quick hello. Great party last night. The last few guest left around 4:00am, and boy I"m I tired today, phone rang this morning at 8:30am. Ate way to much, but had a really good time. I'll be hosting another party in two weeks, my niece is graduating and she lives in Austin, I'm having one party here at my house for her other side of family that lives in town.

Shad - umm.. your veggies sound yummy. The baked ones sound really good. Sounds like your projects are really coming along.

Hope everyone is having a great day, then i'll go back to the couch and rest a while.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick "hello" to say I enjoy reading all your posts. You ladies are certainly very busy these days. I am anxiously waiting for my embroidery machine to come back from getting a good cleaning. I have had it for almost 3 years and thought it was time. I just bought Sponge Bob and Strawberry Patch designs from E-Bay. They should be here about the time I get the machine back.

I am having a very difficult time getting back into the swing of things when it comes to losing weight. I have to agree with HalGal--since Gene has come home I am cooking more than I did while he was gone, and as a result eating more. I am, however, keeping up with my bowling. The temperature here is 116 degrees and I have no choice but to stay in doors. The one thing I do right is to eat a "healthy" and nutritous breakfast. Maybe I should just eat breakfast foods and that may help.

Well I had better get moving. You ladies have given me incentive to get busy doing chores I have put off way too long.

Hope everyone is having a "super" day!
Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #148  

Just hate Monday's especially when they are cold and unwelcoming when I get out of bed. Even the cat didn’t want to get up this morning. She objected to going outside, and was back in and under the bedclothes faster than you can say Jack Frost.

Consequently we did everything at the trot this morning to keep warm.

It was an interesting jewellery party yesterday. No I didn’t buy anything, but there were a couple of people there who were just looking out for their own agendas and not there to look at the stuff on sale. Networking is all very well, I do it myself from time to time but not at someone elses party. There was too much to eat for the number of people there and I indulged in a bit of cheese too much. So we are off to the gym again tonight to move along the excesses of the weekend.

Another week here at work. Don’t have a huge schedule, but there will be time to bring things up to date at last. I’m a bit happier about that. Some of the grammar, spelling etc was ‘interesting’ and some of the lessons in OnDemand are less than the basics which I think are required. So I will do something about that as well. Still managing to work slightly shorter hours, and that’s just fine by me.

Got an entire wall painted yesterday morning. And part of the ceiling as well. There needs to be some more plastering done this week and a few patches where I missed before painting. Why is it that when you put a coat of paint on a wall or ceiling all the flaws stand out - why didn’t I see them before I painted? Still it is moving along, for which I am grateful.

So here we are at work for yet another week. The bloke who went on leave to the UK returned today. He is all ready to go on holiday again. When he gets through his e-mail, he will be more than ready to go home I should imagine.

Weight still holding on the normal fluctuations. Don’t think the shape is changing much. Think I might have to change the exercise and food around again to see if I can fool the body into a bit of movement.

Speaking of weight etc. I watched a program on the Lifestyle Channel yesterday called Fat Man Thin. Now this is a weight loss program for men mostly however, the principles still apply.
This man was an Marketing/Advertising guru. He must have been good at it because he said himself that his income had been at 6 figures for several years. He lived in Auckland in New Zealand and had a beautiful home there and another beach ‘shack’ (bigger than my ordinary ‘shack’) in a place called Muriwai which is a beach/ coastal town not far from Auckland. He was huge!!!! He weighed 168Kgs (370lbs). He took a year off work to get his weight down. He wanted to lose 40Kgs. He left his Auckland home and with his wife went to Muriwai to spend the year getting the weight off in consultation with his doctor and a personal trainer.
Within six months he had lost the 40kg. His doctor said he could lose another 20. He went for 25. He even had the packets of butter lined up in the supermarket to show the loss he had already made and then another pile to demonstrate what he had left to lose. What a huge amount of fat!!!!!
This man’s year of diet and exercise proved several things to me.
1. That you can eat well as long as you watch the portions. You can enjoy the cheese, wine, and odd chocolate as you wish.
2. You must limit the proportions.
3. You won’t do it by exercise alone or diet alone. The two must be combined and varied.
4. You won’t do it by fad dieting either.
To cut a long story short. He missed the 25kg by 1kg. But the difference in him was amazing. At the end of the program, the producers showed photos taken of him in the same place and in the same pose for the entire year. It was so interesting to watch these shots flash past. He didn’t always appear to lose weight every month, some shots he looked bigger than before, and he still is not lean taut and terrific!!! but he will probably now live past his 50th birthday. This was doubtful previous to the diet and exercise. It was a program well worth watching.

Okay, time to go sort out my day. Remind me to pay my bills tonight please.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #149  

Default RE: Sum, sum, summertime...!!1

Good to hear from everyone!

I am just finishing watching a Dateline special about 2 young men that randomly murdered a professor and his wife, as practice incase they needed to murder someone while they were traveling in foreign countries - on the cuff. I am telling you, I know crazy unexplainable things have always happened, our generation does not have a copyright on the horrors of life. Anyway...

I am still cleaning, but not doing lots at the moment. I'll return to school this week once again working full days, but going in a tad later and staying later.

There is a chance my nephews (deceased niece's boys) may get to come stay toward the end of the week and for the weekend. They are in Florida with their Grandfather. I think he may go right by me on the way back to Indiana. I am going to see, and if so, save him about 600 miles on his trip. I am excited. They have never seen my place, and they are both curious. They have ask lots of questions about where I live, so they just may get their chance to see.

I am finishing laundry now... Let's have a GREAT week. SHAD, you are right moderation in all. Hey, why did that guy have to stop work? Curious. Good story!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #150  

Default RE: 21 minutes of aerobic exercise....!

[FONT=Comic Sa[/FONT]
Good Monday morning Movers and Losers!

OK, I just lost a post and it was just about finished! Errr....

AS I was saying, how about a 21 whole wheat bun salute, only after 21 minutes of aerobic exercise!

I'm up late again this morning, because once again I was up late watching the food channel. I am addicted. Emerril was mean to one of his assistants last night, so I may not be so anxious to watch. AS the bumper sticker says, "Mean People S__K" with the _ _ filled in.

I am under a deadline. It looks like my nephews will be able to come for the end of the week, and weekend. Yippie... and oh my gosh. Time to kick into high gear.

I saw a short clip of Carnie Wilson last evening on television. She was saying how she still fantasizes about a human size bowl of twinkies and her diving into the center of it. I say a chocolate pool would be heaven. Warm chocolate pool. I have a friend that had a chocolate fountain at her wedding that that was very cool. I only went up once. She tells me about all the left over food and chocolate they had - and they had to take it because it was paid for. Her parents bought her a smaller fountain, and now she uses it for parties. Oh my gosh... 41 minutes of aerobic exercise = one dip.

Here is an article from the WW folks on weight loss blunders. Dr. Phil has 10 blunders in this months issue of O magazine also.

The Top 5 Diet Blunders
By Paula Kennedy | 9/10/2004

You're eating less and exercising more. Why won't that scale budge? Even when you feel like you're doing everything right, there are certain behaviors that can still get in the way. Are you guilty of any of these habits?

1. Skipping Breakfast
Running late for work again? Before you bolt out the door on nothing but a cup of coffee, be aware that skipping breakfast can be bad news for weight loss. Chances are, you're going to feel hungry later, and that may be when you have less access to healthy food and are more likely to reach for a doughtnut.

Antidote: Keep something on hand that you can eat on the run, such as fruit, yogurt or fat-free cereal bars.

2. Feasting on Family Favorites
When your kids or spouse have a favorite family meal, it's hard to ban it from your menu list. Family favorites, such as lasagna, are often high in fat and calories.

Antidote: Treat yourself to a smaller serving of the main meal and a large serving of vegetables or salad. It's also a good idea to try to find a lower-fat version of the family favorite.

3. Social Overeating
Eating whatever you wanted at a restaurant was okay in the days when people ate out only a few times a year. But these days we eat out every week, if not every day.

Antidote: Search the menu for meals cooked using low-fat methods, such as grilling or stir-frying, and ask for sauces and dressings on the side. That way you can control how much you have.

4. Not Counting Nibbles
A few potato chips while you clean the house. Just a sliver of cake while you cook dinner. When we snack, we tend to be standing up or have our attention focused on another task. This can lead to thinking the calories "don't count." Unfortunately, they do.

Antidote: Set ground rules, such as "I don't eat in the car or while I'm watching television." And always, always keep track of everything you eat during the day. Knowing you'll have to write it down will make you think twice about having that one bite.

5. Expecting Too Much Too Soon
After several months of dedication you're down in the dumps — you feel the scale has barely moved. Expecting too much weight loss too soon is an extremely common diet blunder. A healthy rate of weight loss is up to two pounds a week. But many people aim for more than that, then feel like failures and give up when they don't reach that unrealistically high goal.

Antidote: Make "slow and steady" your diet mantra. If you really don't believe that one to two pounds amounts to much weight loss, lift two pounds of butter the next time you're at the supermarket. You'll realize how well you're doing.

This is so true, I think we expect instant results. Wellness is a lifestyle and long term. Mind over matter.