Old 06-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #31  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Smile Day 5 Week 1

Good morning!
I like Renee’s theory that she and I share the same existence! Even though I hope she’s wrong…. (as in: it’s very nice when we’re both here!)
Hopefully you’ll get back on track today, and stay there! :

Yesterday I went jogging, ate 1.475 calories, and drank lots of water. I also went to bed at 10 (!), and slept for 8 full hours! I felt completely rested when I got up to go to the gym this morning. It feels really, really good.

Went to the gym and did weights (chest, triceps) and cardio on the elliptical machine, and as of this morning I’ve reached my exercising goals for the week: cardio 5 times and weights 3 times. I’ll do something light for the weekend: some hiking if the weather is nice, some yoga perhaps.

And yes, Renee: posting here every day *does* help - I’ve found that too. Something about being accountable, I think.
Ah, well – wish you both an excellent Friday at work!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #32  
maintaining

Cool Day 6 Week 1

Well, I think I’m starting to feel a little silly – posting here all by my self. Perhaps I should consider only posting when you guys post, and do my daily reports somewhere else. Privately or something.

Yesterday I did weights and the elliptical machine, ate 1.563 calories, drank water and ate a lot of vegetables. After almost a week completely on plan, I once again get confirmed that the most important thing for me is to keep recording what I eat. Once I lose sight of how much I’ve already eaten that day I just start eating without plan. And there is no way I can keep at 1500-1600 calories without a plan.

Hope you’re having nice weekends. I’ll come back tomorrow at least, and finish daily reports for week one – but I don’t think I’ll keep posting alone like this. It looks kind of stupid.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #33  
maintaining

Talking Day 7 Week 1

Well, my first week is almost done, and I have 11 more to go!
It’s been a good week too: My favourite part was jogging in the park again – even with the wheezing, panting and puffing!

Yesterday I didn't work out (rest-day), ate 1.450 calories and had lots of water. It was an excellent Saturday, and today we have good weather so I’m going out in a little while.

Hope you all have nice Sundays!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #34  

Nooo, dont' post anywhere else. Weekends are slow posting for me since I do most of my forum hopping from work. And like usual, your posts are encouraging me. I love how organized you are!

This past week I gained 2.2 pounds at weigh in! My god, it takes me 6 weeks to lose that much, and 1 to put it on? That cannot be right - I can only hope it was the two ball park hotdogs and the three beers from the baseball game the night before.

The good news is, I am back into the grind. I really need to find new and interesting foods, I think I am getting bored. Also, my exercise has teetered off. For like 2 weeks now, I just have had no energy or drive - maybe I am fighting a bug.

So Monday. Boss is back from vacation, so my stress level should go down. Woo!
Keep up the good work all.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #35  
maintaining

Thumbs up Day 1 Week 2

Good morning!

I started the day jogging in the park – and it was truly glorious this morning: sunshine, green and sweet-smelling grass, birds singing, etc etc. Well, yes, and then me - huffing and puffing of course…
But I did run longer than last week.

Renee – hopefully the gained weight will disappear just as soon again! I think the morale of the story is to keep away from hotdogs and beers the night before weigh in!

To sum up my first week: I averaged on 1.514 calories a day, I lifted weights 3 times, and did cardio for at least 30 minutes 5 times. I also drank lots of water, and got lots of sleep. So all in all a successful first week.

Ah well, talk to you guys again tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #36  

That is great Mette. When you jog, is it jogging for the full time, or do you do walking intervals too?

My weigh in this morning has me back down, so the 'Flash Pounds' as my one friend calls them, seem to be gone. Thank god! Now I feel motivated to keep at it.

I think that I would lose weight better if I had more calories, but I've complained about that for a while. Everytime I say 'if I don't lose well this week at WW' I am just going to use MFD and count calories - I end up doing well.

I've been meaning to plan out my weekly routine and figure in what days will be what exercise. I have completely fallen off that wagon. I did get a 40 minute bike ride in last night, but my sister rides so slow it's not even really a work out for me. I suppose it still counts as motion though.

I also need to get back into strength training, and tone myself up. I am finding some spots, the extra bit of me there, seems more skin related than fat related and I hope some muscle definition will help cover that.

That's it for now!
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #37  
maintaining

Red face Day 2 Week 2

Where did Ang go?

I’ve been thinking about making plans for exercise when I start working next week too. For me it’s mostly about getting into a routine – as long as I know what I’m supposed to do, when and where – I will exercise just as I planned to. It’s when I start to improvise and never plan I never get around to anything. This last year has been amazing for me when it comes to working out – I’ve never worked out 3 times a week for a whole year before.

Good to hear the weight went away. And yes, I do try to jog for the full time – but I have a couple of hills I haven’t completely broken yet. It’s my goal for the summer to jog through the whole trip.

Yesterday I ate 1.388 calories – I don’t know how that happened since I normally struggle to keep lower than 1.600. I also went jogging. Today I’ve been to the gym and done weights (legs and shoulders) and cardio (30 min elliptical machine). I don't think eating too few calories will be a problem today: I'm starving!

Have a nice day. Talk to you guys again tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #38  
maintaining

Smile Day 3 Week 2

Well, it’s Wednesday and we're almost halfway through the week. Yesterday I ate 1.704 calories, did weights (legs + shoulders) and cardio for 30 minutes. I’ve already been to the gym today and done weights (back + biceps) and cardio. I’ve been doing the rowing machine (for cardio) a couple of times lately, and I sort of like it. Variation is my friend when it comes to cardio, that’s for sure!

Hope you guys are doing well too. I’m getting a little worried that Ang disappeared - I hope you come back soon, sweetie!

Renee – I just wanted to say about skin and fat once we’ve lost a lot of weight: it really *does* get better with time and exercise. When I lost weight last summer I did get some loose skin around my belly, upper arms and thighs – but through doing weights and maintaining the weight for a year, it’s definitely gotten better. So don’t lose faith – your body will keep changing even after you’re finished losing weight, and – as everything else – it takes time.

OK. See you guys again tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #39  
Persistent and Stubborn

Red face sorry I was gone (but I figured out the smiles - thanks mette)

Very quick for now - I'm so sorry I have been gone. I took a couple of days off and then the weekend hit (no internet at home). It is planting season and my garden is so behind. I have been frantic at home and at work. Deadlines all over the place. I stopped receiving reminders regarding your posts for some reason too, which didn't help. Anyway, I'm back and I'll post more later.

mette - I think it's great that you post everyday. Although I still haven't had time to come up with a plan. I want to and will try to post at least the days I am at work. It sounds like you are doing well.

I am in the garden a lot, haven't been running or biking in at least a week because of it. I'm hoping to start lifting weights soon. Been doing some Slim Fast stuff but still no weight loss. At least I haven't gained recently. how sad for me.

I've got to work on a paper due Monday but I'll be back. Enjoy your Wednesdays.
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #40  
maintaining

Smile Day 4 Week 2

Good morning again.

Good to hear from you, Ang. Sounds like planting season in the garden is fun, but stress at work isn’t?
As for the reminders regarding posts in this thread – I think only one reminder is sent out, and then you have to visit 3FC before you’re reminded again. If you stay away from the site you won’t be reminded of all new posts - just the first one.

Yesterday I ate 1.327 calories – but I keep thinking I forgot to write something down. I did weights (back + biceps) and cardio (rowing machine). I drank lots of water, took my vitamins, etc. Today I went jogging. I have two really long and steep hills on my route, and today I almost broke the first one. Maybe next week!

Ang, how is the slim fast stuff going? Do you like it? Do you eat some meals or do you use slim fast instead of every meal? I’m sorry you’re not losing, but at least you’re not gaining either.

I’ll be back tomorrow. Have nice Thursdays.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #41  
maintaining

Thumbs up Day 5 Week 2

Well, it’s me again. Friday morning and everything.

My summer project is going very well, I’ve almost finished my second week. Yesterday I ate 1.516 calories, went jogging, drank lots of water, and went to bed relatively early. Today I’ve been to the gym and done weights (chest + triceps) and cardio (elliptical machine).

Wish you both nice weekends. I’ll probably report in during the weekend too.

I think that one of the main reasons why this project is going well is because I actually *like* the exercise and food I’m eating. I talked to a friend on the phone yesterday – she’s trying to lose weight, trying to start exercising, which for her means to eat food and do exercise she doesn’t like. And this is why there’s no way she’s going to last on her regime longer than a week or two. We tried to talk about food she would want to eat and exercise she would enjoy – but she doesn’t *want* that. She just wants a magic pill (a diet for a limited period of time) so that she can be thin and enjoy her body again – she really doesn’t want the lifestyle of eating restricted and exercising several times a week.

Have a nice Friday. Talk to you guys tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:20 AM   #42  
Persistent and Stubborn

I'm not even getting reminded at all right now. I dont' know why but don't have the time right now to figure it out. I'll just have to make it a point to visit without the reminder.

Stress at work sucks. The garden stress is manageable. At least there is something to look at and be proud of when I'm done. I came up with my new plan for the summer.

Try to eat 1700 calories per day. (Suggested by Slim Fast - next week going to right down everything and I'll report here.)
45 minutes of exercise or 2 hours of yard work 5 times per week.
Weight training/toning/stretching 2 to 3 times per week.

I am back to 206. I've lost the 2 pounds I put on. I'm hoping I'm on the right track. I had a physical yesterday and I'm in pretty good health. If I lose a few pounds the cholesterol should come down and I'll be all set.

Congratulations mette on your jogging progress. Have you ever thought of taking one day a week just to do hill training and maybe one day on a different course that doesn't have the steep hills? I believe it is best if you mix things up (different training, different course).

The Slim Fast plan has you eat a shake or meal bar twice a day with about 150-200 extra calories at each meal (e.g. half a sandwich or small salad). You eat two 150 cal snacks and a sensible dinner. I have my cereal in the morning and then use the shakes/bars at lunch with something else. If I don't have milk I'll have a shake in the morning too. It's easy for me and I love chocolate so it's not hard to eat/drink the stuff. It also makes me crave chocolate a lot less because I am getting the flavor during the day. I like it so far and think that if I can keep making changes I should lose something.

I have to say mette that your dedication and consistency is amazing. I think I could do it if I could get some organization to my life. I'm working on that with myself and bf. Stress and schedules don't usually go together for me. I guess I need to look into that more too - how to balance everything.

I think a lot of people think like your friend and you are right that they probably won't succeed. I like many healthy foods and love to be outdoors exercising and working in the yard. It is hard in the winter but if I can schedule my life so I'm not stressed and can do the 'good' things I am actually happier. It's when I get swamped and stressed like this week that I don't make time to go grocery shopping and then I don't eat as well as I should. It is definitely a lifestyle change.

Have a great weekend. Renee, are you out there? I hope you are well. I'll try to get on e-mail over the weekend but I can't promise anything. Take care and enjoy the good weather.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #43  
maintaining

Cool Day 6 Week 2

Good morning. Another day, another report!
Yesterday I ate 1.832 calories, did weights (chest + triceps) and cardio. As usual after doing lying triceps extensions, I’m sore today. It’s one of my favourite exercises. Today I have a rest day, so no exercise for me. I’ll probably go out to enjoy the nice weather though.

Ang, I wanted to thank you for your post yesterday. Your suggestion that I take one day a week to do hill training, and to mix things up more with my jogging – is very good. I think one of the main reasons why I stopped jogging last autumn was that I was bored with it, bored jogging the same course twice a week. So after losing the weight I wanted to, I just dropped it and kept the fun exercise (the weights). I’ll change the jogging around a bit this summer.

One very weird thing about my jogging is that I have absolutely no confidence and can’t really look at myself as a runner/jogger. I get strangely embarrassed when there’s a lot of people around when I jog, so I prefer to jog in the mornings. But next week when I start working, I have to do my exercise in the afternoons, after work – and while I have no problem doing the weights in the gym (I obviously have no problem seeing myself as a weightlifter) in the afternoon, I feel strangely uncomfortable about jogging in the evenings. It doesn’t make any sense; I know that. I mean, I have no problem jogging on the treadmills in the gym, no matter how many people are there. It’s all very strange. So this will be a challenge for me this summer: to jog in the park when there’s a lot of people watching me.

I also wanted to say that your goals for the summer look really good. I’m very glad you’re losing again, but it’s even better to hear that you’re in good health!

I’m so glad you like the SlimFast drinks, and I totally agree with you that getting something sweet and chocolate flavoured can help with cravings. I do shakes (protein) and bars (protein & snacks) too.

Ah well. I’ll hopefully see you guys next week, but I’ll be back tomorrow for another (exciting) daily report!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #44  
maintaining

Arrow Day 7 Week 2

The second week is almost over, and things are still going well. Yesterday I ate 1.520 calories, drank lots of water, and didn’t exercise. It’s nice weather again today, I’m going to use the computer room at the faculty later – to do literature search for a paper on DSH (deliberate self harming).

Renee, where did you go? Are you never online during weekends anymore?

I’ve been reading Peeke’s “Body for life for women”, but I’m not very impressed by it – so it goes slowly. The most helpful thing so far has been her principle of regrouping, and to always have plan B, plan C and plan D when it comes to food and exercise. So that, when our days are stressful and not going according to plan, we don’t get paralyzed when the original plan – plan A – doesn’t work anymore. But regroup and try out plan B, then plan C, then plan D, etc – until we find a way to eat and exercise that works for us.

Have nice Sundays guys, talk to you again tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #45  
Persistent and Stubborn

Good morning - at leaest it will be if I get my conference paper done today. It is due today. Yikes!

mette - sounds like you had another great weekend. Please keep me updated on how the jogging goes. Although I am not great at it, I have read a lot and learned a lot at the running club (in case you want more detailed info). I think Renee was going to start jogging too. I wish there was something I could tell you about your perception of yourself as a jogger. The fact is, if you jog then you are a jogger. Most people aren't even paying attention to you while you jog so try not to worry about it. Also, notice during your day the variety of people that you see jogging. Not all of them are 'runners' who complete marathons. Personally I have a lot of respect for anyone that goes out there and tries, regardless of size and ability. Please tell me more after you try it once. I'm sure you have no reason to be hesitant or embarrassed. If I can go out there, so can you.

I'm going to really try with these goals. Over the weekend my eating wasn't too bad. I finally got to the grocery store yesterday and bought lots of healthy 'snacks'. Saturday I worked in the yard for at least 2 hours and yesterday I went for a run/walk. I was out for a total of at least 45 minutes but jogged about 28 minutes. Unfortunately some things came up in the morning so I went out at 12:30pm. It was super hot and humid so I think that had something to do with my poor performance. I'll be in the yard tonight and hope to jog tomorrow - I'll let you know.

I'm back to my cereal in the morning (got to look up the calories) and a shake with fruit for lunch. Hopefully I won't be too hungry. The weights may have to wait until next week. I am still too busy trying to finish my garden planting and I'm way behind as it is.

mette - I'm sorry the book isn't better. Are you finishing it anyway just to see if you get another nugget out of it? Do you find reading about nutrition and fitness helps keep you motivated?

I'm interested in this paper on DSH that you are writing. What is it for? What is the emphasis of the paper?

Good luck today to all. I'm off to finish this paper.