3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups

Old 05-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #31
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello, there don't seem to be many singles on here so I'll pop my head in and say hello!

SW - 260, Original GW - 160 - achieved 21 March 2006, CW erm... I'll get back to you on that

4 sub-4 hour marathons! (PB 3:44:05)!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #32

Default hi

hi there yp1! thanks for dropping in! it is a quiet thread. people only stay for a short time. i don't know why???

sheri - yes i do have a riding mower, but some of the spots i will have to do by hand. there are springs running thru the yard and a rider will sink.

i ended up calling off today because i think i was overtired and everything was catching up. i slept in and i'm still tired. no walking today. that's when i probably need it most to get my energy back.

do you think we should give it a new name or both of us go to another busier thread??? i don't think we have enough pizazz here.

have a good humpday!
kathy
corningkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by corningkat
do you think we should give it a new name or both of us go to another busier thread??? i don't think we have enough pizazz here.
I dunno, Kathy...what do you think? I joined a new thread while you were moving to check it out, but it is not very active either (not even 1 new post a day most times) and it's mostly very young girls so I don't feel like we are really on the same wavelength, ya know?

I'm up for either. Do you have other threads that you recommend we try? I really haven't explored 3FC that much. I've tried about 4-5 different threads since I joined and, believe it or not, this has been the most active one (okay, not lately, but back before Christmas). The others all petered out too, and much quicker than ours did. I just wonder if that is the nature of the beast. There don't seem to be a lot of people who are committed to the long haul or who are committed to staying in contact even when they aren't doing well, but maybe I just haven't found the right threads yet!!

And Welcome YP1! Sure hope you will come back to visit.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #34

Default hi

hi sheri! i guess if that's the case then there's no sense in going elsewhere. we'll just stay here and be happy!

not much going on here! i have to work all weekend. the company is probably getting nervous with the end of the month and a long weekend to boot. didn't walk today because i got 50 feet down the driveway and it started to rain. i guess i will have get moving and organize my home gym area for such days. i went to my ww meeting last nite and gained 1.5. i will do better this week!

have a good weekend!
kathy
Old 05-21-2005, 02:30 AM   #35
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hi, so are you sticking round here then?

I guess I'll introduce myself, my name's Helen and I'm resolutely single.

Big day today - my mother's coming to stay with me for a while and I've lost a stone and a half since I last saw her. Will she notice?

SW - 260, Original GW - 160 - achieved 21 March 2006, CW erm... I'll get back to you on that

4 sub-4 hour marathons! (PB 3:44:05)!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #36

Default hi

hi there! yes helen, we are sticking around and welcome again! i am not posting as much as i used to because i am still trying to settle in after moving. i now have to use dial-up (no choice in the matter) and it's driving me insane!!! so sloooowwwww!!

i've had to do a few birthday cakes this week for work. i am making healthy cakes and they don't even know it but love it!!! what they don't know won't hurt them.

the weather here is putting a damper on my walking. it's not suppose to get much nicer for another week.

well, i have to hit the hay!!! nite
kathy
Old 05-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #37

My apologies for taking so long to get back here! It's been wild at work and that's where I usually check in here from. Anyhow, good to see you both (Kathy and YP1). Things are going okay with me...was at the beach in Delaware last weekend to visit my close friends and that was much fun. Don't have anything planned yet for Memorial Day weekend. I'll be content if it stays that way, frankly. LOL

I'll be going to Florida for a family vacation on June 4th for a week so I won't be checking in at all during that time.

So YP1, did your Mom notice your weight loss? I hope she did and that she was positive and complimentary of you. My Mom came to visit about 5 months after I'd started losing weight and I'd lost about 20 pounds I guess at that point. She didn't say a word until we were sitting in my apt. and I was saying something about my weight loss frustrations and she said "Oh, I noticed your weight loss right away when I saw you at the airport." and I remember thinking "Gee, it might have been nice if you'd said something." In other words, had I not brought up my weight loss the whole time she was visiting, she'd probably not have said a word. (sigh)

Edited to add that I also went to a family reunion in August 2004 after I'd lost 35 pounds and not a single person said a word. Granted, these people only see me once a year but *I* thought the change was noticeable! It wasn't until a cousin heard me make a comment about an old picture (they always put out pix of past reunions at the current one) that she looked at the pic and then at me and said "Oh my, you HAVE lost weight, haven't you?"

Enjoy your long weekend!

Last edited by SheriaVa; 05-26-2005 at 12:57 PM.
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #38

Default hi

hi singles! been busy too. i have a friend visiting and we've been doing a lot. blew my calories out of the water of course. yesterday we went touring of some of the wineries. that was fun! today is window shopping. my suggestion so we can walk off some of those calories.

i hope you are having a nice long weekend!
kathy
Old 05-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #39

Hello,

I would like to join in! I am 43, single, never married, just a string of bad relationships, abusive and controlling (how do we do that to ourselves!!!????). I am a special education consultant. Love my job!!!! I have 3 cats now; jut added my first “little man” to may group. I have always had girls, but he is a sweetie! I enjoy being single again! It is a hard adjustment after being in a relationship, but, as they say, time heals everything, and I am happy again! I think of being single as the time to take care of me! I try so hard to diet and exercise, but have so little luck with actually losing……seems I have to eat about nothing to lose! It is so frustrating that after so long I can’t take it anymore! I have done the WW thing, Atkins things, and now I just count calories….works the best for me! I exercise fairly regularly. I walk, bike, and sometimes swim laps. After my last breakup I even hired a trainer to get me into some new habits, so she taught me a lot of strength training with free weights. So I try to get that in too! Right now not exercising much though….got a big blood blister on my toe last week and OUCH it hurts!

Well that is me……I enjoy posting and post on the 40 somethings and race to 199 also! So happy to see this thread though……being single has as many challenges as being married and having kids, I think we singletons get overlooked sometimes!

Lilybutt

original weight: 310~6/01
down to on low cal/exercise: 230~5/02
lilybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:09 PM   #40

Welcome, Lilybutt! I know what you mean about singles getting overlooked sometimes. Sometimes it seems that "coupled" folk think of the world as everyone being coupled but, as WE know, this isn't the case! I think that living alone presents its own challenges too. In one respect, it's easier because you don't have other peoples' fatty snacks tempting you. On the other hand, you don't have someone there to talk to or for support and cooking for one is a pain!

A little about me: I'm 52 and never married and I have been living healthy for 2 years come July 1st. I have lost about 30 pounds but have been plateaued for a long while now and am working at trying to get back to losing. I eat low fat but don't subscribe to any particular plan/program. I exercise 5 X week--a combo of cardio, toning and weight training.

Look forward to hearing more from you, Lily!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #41

Thanks for the welcome!

It is a beautiful day here! It is a wonder how the the weather can really affect my mood and energy level. It has been so cool and cloudy and raining this spring, but this morning.....the sun is shining, the birds are singing and all seems right with the world! I think I will get busy today and do some laundry and hang it outside, and get a start on washing windows.

About the diet......I have NOT had a good past week or so...there is a fair going on just a block from my house, so the corndogs and cotton candy have been calling me! Here is my dilemma……I am leaving on June 8th for a 13 day trip to Europe with a girlfriend. I have tried hard to lose weight and had a goal of 220 by the time I left, but just didn’t make it….It is sooooooooo hard to lose after 40! So know that the trio is just around the corner, and this is my last week of work, and I am going out of town for a few days for work, I find myself say “what the h311!” I will start over when I get back! Not a good attitude at all! Oh and to top it off, I got too nasty blood blisters on y toes, the last time I walked the track a the Y so I am thinking I should let them heal and not exercise……..I feel myself falling into the big pit of slovenly behavior!!!!

Lilybutt, hanging on by the fingernails

Old 05-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybutt
I have tried hard to lose weight and had a goal of 220 by the time I left, but just didn’t make it….It is sooooooooo hard to lose after 40!
Oh, I hear ya sister! I'm over 50 and it doesn't get any easier, I assure you! But I really do feel that consistency is the key. I put the hard work in to build good habits and then I try to stay on track (with both eating and exercise) the majority of the time and then treat myself every now and then so I don't feel deprived.

Quote:
Oh and to top it off, I got too nasty blood blisters on y toes, the last time I walked the track a the Y so I am thinking I should let them heal and not exercise……..I feel myself falling into the big pit of slovenly behavior!!!
I hear your frustration, lilybutt. First, if you got blood blisters from walking, I think you better take a look at your shoes. Are they old? Are they still giving you adequate support? Do they fit properly? Maybe you need a new pair or a better fitting pair or a pair that is specifically for walking (shoes used for exercise should be replaced yearly). Also make sure you have good socks--I know the right socks make all the difference in the world in my comfort when walking. I wear Reebok socks that I got at Kohl's--they're wonderfully padded on the bottom and very comfy!

If you have to worry about getting blood blisters when you walk, you will naturally tend to avoid walking. In the mean time, while the blisters heal, you could try some other forms of exercise...like abs/core work or balance ball work. Those can be done laying on your back or sitting on the ball so that your weight isn't on your feet.

Have a marvelous trip! I'll be travelling to Florida myself on June 4th. Sounds like Kathy will have the thread to herself for a while!
Old 05-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #43

Yes you are exactly correct about the shoes......they are new New Balances.....I always buy good shoes since I have heel spurs and they keep them at bay....I buy the same size and th same style everytime, but this time they really have bothered me.....usually I can put them right on and just go....not sure what the difference is. I do have orthotics, so I took them out and that was better. I also just bought a pair of Ecco sandles that are WONDERFUL!!! so I wore those all day. I plan on wearing then in Europe...they will be great! I will get out the balance ball and weights later...need to work on the upper arms anyway!

Lilybutt

Old 05-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybutt
Yes you are exactly correct about the shoes......they are new New Balances.....I always buy good shoes since I have heel spurs and they keep them at bay....I buy the same size and th same style everytime
I do the same thing! And I wear New Balance as well! Unfortunately, though, they stopped making the model I had been wearing for the past 7 or 8 years. I am so bummed. I've tried 2 other models and didn't care much for them so I don't know what I'm going to do now. I started buying New Balance cuz I was diagnosed with heel spurs some years ago and the podiatrist took forms of my feet and sent them away to a place in New England that recommended the best style/brand of sneaker for my foot--it was the New Balance walking shoe (I think it was the 550).

Sorry to hear that your new ones are bothering you. Hope you can get them broken in so they are more comfortable! I have a pair that I am rotating among some other pairs to try to break them in a little at a time. I am now to the point where I can wear them for aerobics class, but the first time I wore them there, I almost fell down a dozen times tripping over the step. LOL
Old 05-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #45

Red face I'm Baaaaack...

Hi all,
I've been reading the last couple pages of posts and am feeling sufficiently guilty that I am one of the losers who dropped out. I've not posted since last December! I don't really have a good excuse, but I hope you will all forgive me and let me back!

SheriaVa and Kathy - you guys are the inspiration for this thread and I thank you for keeping it alive. I am also glad that you didn't change it or move it or I would never have found you again! I do find it helpful and I have stopped in periodically to check up, but was feeling weird about joining back in. I know that's irrational, but I felt embarassed that I let my life get away from me and let you guys down.

The weight loss has actually been going pretty well. I am down a total of 72 pounds since last August. I am doing the Weight Watchers thing with varying dedication depending on the time of month and stress level in my life. I go to the YMCA 4-5 times a week where I do cardio and weight training 2-3 times a week. I generally get up (at 4:30AM!) and go before work, that way I can get the dreaded exercise out of the way and spend the day being true to my inherent nature - being a slug!

I'm with you, Lilybutt, the weather has been the pits. I'm in the Twin Cities area so our weather has probably been pretty similar. This weekend was supposed to be a wash, but luckily the weather reports were totally off and yesterday and today were gorgeous. I got outside to do much overdue yardwork, and spent about 8 hours outside. Woke up and could barely move this morning, so I gave myself the day off. I've got alot of work to do out there, but I made a dent - a very small dent, but a dent nonetheless. I'm tired of cringing at the state of my lawn everytime I pull into my driveway. I have alot of pine trees so my yard will never make it on the cover of Landscaper's Digest, but it could certainly look better than it does with a little TLC. Now that I am getting the weight off, I find it much easier to physically handle the work required. Just a year ago, I wouldn't have been able to handle more than an hour or so, and that feels great in and of itself.

Anyway, I resolve to do my part to keep our thread at the top of the page.

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you" - Emerson

358/346/319/150
HW/SW/CW/GW
JanetG is offline   Reply With Quote