Old 03-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #16  

Hi everyone, great post on the other thread, Red.
Not much happening for me to report, guess it's a boring day? I guess that is a good thing? No news is good news?
No chocolate, have been good with eating, not working out.
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #17  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Good morning all.

Derry -- glad you liked the thing I posted in the other forum. You were the only one who replied there although it looks like some people have given it a look. Anyhow, hope they like it. I find so many people who want to lose weight have horrible self-images of themselves. That is one thing I think I never had. Of course, I know how this happens. There are a lot of people out there saying very nasty things to overweight people, especially when people are young or have other issues, i.e. the more vulnerable ones are the ones who get more abuse.

Yes, I didn't actually think you were an all-too unwilling participant in the baking eating! But, real butter is not a problem. Not that is, if it were in lieu of something worse for you. Trans fats are the killers it appears and margarine is actually turning out to be worse than butter, you know! I suppose if there are any reduced calorie products on the market they will also be made with partially hydrogenated fats, which are what is so bad. So, you see, you weren't so bad after all.

I don't know, Linda, doing something for myself is harder. I mean "doing it for me" if it involves hardship, sacrifice, certainly doesn't feel like I'm doing it FOR me, does it? The longterm goal of losing weight, looking better, somehow that is too intangible. I think perhaps I need to feel worse about myself in order to get to that point. You see, I don't feel bad about being overweight really. It's like, oh, yeah, sure it would be nice to be lean and all, but this way is ok too. Any ideas on the psychology I could use to get to this other state?

Actually, though, I guess feeling better not eating sugar is a pretty good incentive in itself. I most definitely feel better off the stuff. I need something, however, that is going to get the weight off. Just cutting out the sugar is not going to do it. I was off it for a year and didn't lose. There are other good yummy things out there.

Well, Linda, your staying off chocolate is so good. I am really happy to hear that this is making you realize your own power of control. These are the kind of things that help us in other areas of our lives. In other words, it's not just chocolate!

happy -- hi there! Glad you liked that post too. How are you doing? That was just a flyby there, wasn't it. one that left us wanting to hear more from you! Come in when you have time!

jolly -- glad to hear you found some motivation to get to the gym. Yes, getting there is big in itself and even a little workout is better than none. I saw an TV program here the other day with a swimmer for the Paralympics. She was talking to some grade-school kids about pushing your limits and about the importance of support and encouragement from others. She had them all get in the pool and see how far they could swim. Some gave up after just a few meters. Then she asked each of them why they gave up and most of them just said well they decided they had decided beforehand that they just would when they reached a certain point whether they felt like they could go more or not, or they said that they would just give up when they felt like it. Then she had them write a swimming goal on a card, laminated it and put it on a string which they wore around their neck and had them swim again. Almost all could make their goal. A lot said it was really hard but they could hear the people cheering and they kept on. Some kids were crying because they said it was so hard, but they did it. Others were just so happy because they did something they never thought they could do. Anyhow, I'm thinking maybe I'll put a little card around my neck with my daily goal on it, and hear the cheers of all you people in my head! Uh, oh, sounding a bit strange here, aren't I? No, but really, a card in my bag or so, or in the house might be good. Maybe you could try that with your workouts even if it is just going for one minute longer or so.

Ok, people, well, I had no goals set up for this morning and don't think I want to trudge to the gym before work. I could but it's snowing heavily outside and I think I'll keep my head in until I have to get to work. I think the subways are less in danger of being stopped by the snow, whereas if I go by train from the gym, as I'd have to, that line often is delayed.

Catch you later. Wishing you all the best!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #18  

Good post, Red. Maybe I should put my goals (to exercise) on a piece of paper and wear it around my own neck as well! Since I had that cold/cough virus, I have gotten out of my good treadmill and working out habit. I need to get myself back on track with that.
Today is DHs last day of work and I have a very "woe is me" attitude today. He, on the other hand, is very happy and excited. Wonder how he can remain so positive during such a time of uncertainty? I marvel at that and wish I could do this.
A friend of mine used a new phrase to me in an e-mail this morning. She said we are "surfing the waves of uncertainty", I like that phrase.
At any rate, job or no job, here I am. I am still alive, I am still ME, we shall find a way to work through this time period and figure out what to do with the rest of our lives. Eating surely is NOT going to solve any of these issues, so I guess I will hopefully remain on track.
By the way, Jamie went to stay over night at a friends house, thankfully she wasn't home to bake goodies! So, I was a very "good" girl yesterday! Have to admit, I took note that the scale crept back up a bit this week, but I am determined that the good numbers I saw at the end of last week will be back in no time at all.
Linda

Last edited by derrydaughter; 03-04-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #19  

Hey all. Just have time for a fly by post, as I am waiting for an interviewee. Well, today was my 12th workout at the gym. I turned in my resignation. AS soon as I confirm for certain they let me out of my contract, I will go join the other one. I don't want an excuse not to workout. I have decided as well, instead of trying to ask someone to make up a new weight workout for me, I will just figure out the comparible equipment when they give me the orientation tour, and do what was working for me at the first gym. If I get good at it, and really really start to like doing weights, I will ask you for suggestions on improving, Red. You weight lifting queen you!

So back up a minute, Red. Did you say snow??? I didn't realize you got snow there.

Derry, I hope you and/or hubby find something soon. I am sure he is just relieved to be out of the pressure, while you are struggling with all the other issues. Good luck, and keep up all the great work. You are really doing well with your Lent challenge.

I am feeling a bit better today. I went to bed early last night. Got some much needed sleep. And now feel much more able to face the world. A hopefully quiet weekend with some more sleep should finish the job. I just get so oversensitive when I am tired.

So, here's to us. Have a good weekend all.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #20  

Hey all. Crazy weekend - I am on call and had to go to the ER with a client. I did get to the gym today and did my orientation to the weights. Had a very good session. So, here's to working out regularly again. Now, just the food.

Hope everyone else is ok. Catch you later.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:17 AM   #21  
Never give up

Hi people. Just trying to get caught up here. Am finally getting sick. Barely have a voice left. The cold seems to be settling in my chest and larynx. Need to write up a short report but hoping I can do it in the morning if I get up early enough.

I'm trying to get one of my cats to come out of the closet where she is sleeping. I can't reach her and I need to take her to the vet but only have 90 minutes (less) till he closes and I can't take her until maybe Wednesday. she's in a lot of pain and I have to give her her monthly shot to alleviate the pain. Bad gums. They say there's no cure.

A friend of mine is running in the LA Marathon and I'm tracking her. It's so neat. They have a thing they attach to their shoe and when they go through a certain point, a scanner picks it up and will send you the email with their time. So, I'll be tracking here over in Tokyo while she's running in LA! Cool, huh? Problem is the emails are going to be coming in on my cell phone, which I use as an alarm clock so it's right by my head as I sleep and the ring will wake me up. Oh well, should be fun.

jolly -- glad to hear the new gym sounds ok. it'll be good to get regular workouts. I need them too! Anything you want to know about workouts I can try to help. Just ask. What's this with having to go to the ER with a client? Tell me again what kind of work you're doing here. Yes, Tokyo does get snow but rarely. Always around this time of year you can, though not expect it, certainly not be surprised by it. It usually doesn't last long though. jolly, what ever happened to your friend who left in a huff over your French? Did she come around? I hope so. And how is your dog? What are you able to do for him, if anything? Well, I'm glad you got some rest the other day. You sound much better in your posts after a bit of rest.

derry -- Yes, wearing our goals around our necks might not be such a bad idea! I can understand your husband being stoked about his last day. I felt the same way when I got the boot from that work they were giving me. Even though I wanted it, it was too stressful and I am really breathing more easily in general though I really need money! You can't attract better work when you're dragged down by bad stuff. Your husband will no doubt be able to get out there in a very positive mood and just find what he wants! I wish you both the best of luck too!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #22  

Heyall - another quick fly by post from work. I had a staff call in, so I had to work again today. No gym time, but I should be able to go ride. I supervise group homes for people with developmental disabilities. My dog is doing pretty much the same. We go back to the vet Wednesday. And no, my friend has not spoken to me.

I hope you feel better soon, Red. Good luck with your cat.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #23  
Never give up

Hi there jolly, you are the busy one again, aren't you. It's morning here and I am in a vile mood, which is unusual for me. I think it's being sick and not getting much sleep last night. Kept waking up. Had taken Nyquil and it didn't seem to help at all. Never was able to get the cat. She didn't come down from the closet heights until this morning. I closed the upper part but if she goes in the lower part I still won't be able to get her. Or if she goes outside. They know when you're waiting to take them to the vet. I barely can talk so I don't think I'm going to go to work today, which is not good because I desperately need the money. have a report to write now that I couldn't do last night. As I said, I am feeling very *****y. Too bad about your friend not talking. Don't understand some people's priorities.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #24  

Default Sunday thoughts

Jolly, thanks for the positive thoughts regarding the job situation, or lack thereof. Boy, we are working as a team here to save money. DH seems so much more relaxed at least. I'm scared stiff though! I keep having these mini panic attacks and burst into tears, to be honest. I've not been awfully good eating this weekend, to be honest. I don't know if it is directly because of my emotions or just because I would have anyway? No chocolate though, I am being SOOOO good!
Red, so sorry you are not feeling well. I'm pretty much over the cold/virus that I had and it was just awful. It lasted about three weeks. I hope yours lasts less time.
Jolly, what about writing a note to your friend and mailing it? I would apologize for offending her but tell her you value her friendship and ask that she not be so cold. However, if she still doesn't communicate after that, time to look for some new friends!
Well, I am sitting here wondering how well I am truly doing with my weight loss? I have to weigh in at WW this week for the month, or wait until next week. Not sure if I'll weigh in this week or not. I might wait a week as I noted the scale went up a teeny bit (really not too bad) after my darling daughter was home on school vacation this week and made all those lovely goodies.
We'll see how tomorrow goes!
Take care everyone,
Linda
Old 03-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #25  
Never give up

Derry, thanks for the get well wishes. I can barely croak. Am doing a great imitation of a frog. Well, I'm just about to get my story sent out. The cat is under the table so I think I can catch her. The vet opens in a minute. If I go into work I'm already late. Don't know if I should go. Just sitting there is not very exhausting but I really think maybe I should try to get some sleep. Hmm. Hard call.

I can certainly understand your panic and crying attacks but you mustn't worry. Your husband is the one who must find the job and if he's relaxed it'll be ok. Show him you have faith in him and let him enjoy this time off a bit.

I agree with your advice to jolly on her friend. Definitely, if she can't come around after another written note, then I think it's time to find better.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #26  
Never give up

Oh yes, and Derry, good going on the no chocolate!! I too have remained perfect on my challenge. I am wanting sugar badly though. Being sick is not helping. But probably being off the sugar is!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:13 AM   #27  
Never give up

Wow, a whole day (well partial day) at work and no posts! Oh, well, here's three in a row. I DID get the cat to the vet this morning. don't know where she is now. I got into work, mainly to get some papers for tax and press credentials (I'd like to go to Hong Kong again next month for a race) and did a little work and left. I sound horrible. The guys like it though. Don't know why. Seems they think a husky voice is so sexy. To me it just sounds like I'm very unhealthy, which I guess I am. My chest is hurting.

You know Derry, you asking about your weight loss, you're at 147. Gosh, I would love to be there! It sure looks like you're doing well, but yes, I know what you mean. I can imagine it must be even harder to lose when you weigh so little. I have been awful with the weight loss but I'm not going to think about it right now, not with being sick. I have maintained my Lenten challenge and that is tough on its own. I really, really wanted sugar, candy, chocolate, everything today but I have remained strong! I am thinking with great anticipation of the Easter bunny though!

jolly, I'm just curious but when you say you work in a home for people with developmental disabilities can you tell me a bit more about what this is. Are thse people with physical or mental handicaps or is it learning problems or so? Just curious because it sounds like very interesting and possibly very rewarding and perhaps also very stressful work.

Well, I'm going to eat something . . eat, eat, eat. . . and then try to get to bed early.

Oh, yeah, my friend ran in the LA Marathon Sunday. It was this morning here. I was tracking her on the Web. So neat. She said she'd be real slow and it took her 6 1/2 hours! Can you imagine doing a marathon?!! Wow. I wanted to and was starting to train for it a few years ago but must have given myself a stress fracture in a foot because I couldn't jog for weeks after I'd been going at it too much. I really can't do it unless I get the weight off. I think I like to jog. I used to love running as a kid. Any of you into running or would like to be?

Ok, gonna go! Hope to hear more from you all. Jolly, flyby queen! derry, Rave!! where are you?! happy, apple, anyone I forget. .come on in and chat!

Last edited by redballoon; 03-07-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #28  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Ladies,

I'm back!! Just wanted to say a quick hello. As you can imagine, things are really busy here after being gone for two weeks.

Looks like everyone is having a good time and having a lot of successes. I am up a couple pounds, but what do you expect with vacation?

I didn't mindless eat--if I wanted something that was a possible no-no, I added it in with a meal and didn't do the snacky thing.

Walked a lot, but didn't exercise per sey. I was sick the entire time, minus a couple of days, that that affected me also.

So, I'll try to write more later.

Happy Monday!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #29  

Good morning all. I made it to the gym this morning. Hurray. I am eating really bad. Boooo. I don't need Bat, I need Duct Tape.

Chachee, glad you are back. Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Red, glad you got your cat to the vet. Hope you get over your cold soon. That is no fun.

Derry, I know it is very childish of me, but I don't feel like I should have to do any more with my friend. I apologized. Twice. I don't think what I did was sooooo heinous that I should have to beg for forgiveness. I realize this is a childish attitude, and not the best friend behavior, but . . . I guess I will just have to live with it.

Have a good day all.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #30  
Student of the Hoof

Hey chickies..

Chachee - Welcome back!!

Jolly - If you feel like you've extended the olive branch and it's been ignored, then... pft. It's a shame. You sound like you are doing SO well with getting to the gym. I'm proud of you!!

Red - I love to run. I was up to the 5K mark last fall, then ... well. *sigh* I need to get back with it.

I made it out to see the horses Sunday. I was sick with a stomach bug pretty much all weekend... the pitfalls of starting work in a new office? Turns out several of the people here had the same thing over the weekend.

Anyway.. this is just a hit and run on my lunch hour from work. I'll try to check back tonight.
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote