Old 02-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #1  

Default Sanctuary - #9 Everyone Welcome

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #2  

Smile

I counted 8.5 lbs lost here for the first 2 X 2 Challenge.

I didn't get as much reading of Dr. Phil done as I wanted today. My one sister called me three times, I cleaned, washed clothes, raked some mudd.

I think I will call it a night and tackle some exercise in the AM.

Night!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #3  
a work in progress...

Quote:
I raked some mudd.
Around here, we just rake leaves!

I can't honestly say whether or not I have anything to contribute to the last 2x2...I've been too chicken to get on the scale! I will tomorrow. No matter what. I did get a good long walk on the beach today with my dog. It was really nice, not too cold at all. Nothing like the sound of crashing waves and the wind in your hair, to clear your head of the cobwebs!

I wanted to post more, but I can hardly keep my eyes open...I shouldn't be wasting valuable sleeping time when I don't have to work!!!

See you all on Sunday!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 02-13-2005 at 12:20 AM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #4  
Gloria

Wow Kat, that sounds really nice. The only beach we have around our house is the Gulf and that's not really a beach. I can almost hear the crashing waves. Carl and i lived in Cranberry N.J. for about a year after we were married.

Hubby is sick in bed with a cold today. He wasn't feeling good yesterday, and i told him to get in bed but instead, he plays golf. Now its a full blown cold. Men, there like little kids sometimes.

Don't know what i will do today. Maybe a movie and then a quick swim at the Y.

Did you count my first pound loss yesterday Lucky? Only a billion more to go.
I need coffee so will talk to you later today.
Gloria.
5 dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #5  

Smile

Here's to you this morning, Gloria.

Raking Mud!!! Well, it has been so warm here that when people with trucks drive in my driveway they made BIG tracks in it. Of course this being Minnesota it freezes and then I have huge hunks of mud sticking up and I hate that. So since it was over 50 here yesterday I went out and raked the hunks down. Hmmm, Kat, too bad I couldn't rake down a different kind of hunk!

Now I need more and then

Old 02-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #6  

YAY US! Check out my signature! 173! That is 41 total pounds and 3 lbs since the beginning of our second challenge. If I just lose 1.5 each week I will have met my mini goal of reaching 170 by February 28. For a while, I didn't think I was going to make but now I'm feeling lucky!

I have to congratulate all of us because I don't think I would be doing nearly as well if I weren't coming here and getting advice, inspiration, support. Not to mention that if my hands are on the keyboard I can't use them to shove food in my mouth. You can almost alway tell when I'm having a hard time sticking to plan - I'll have a post every half hour or so.

Gloria, good luck not catching your hubby's cold. An hooray for your pound lost! You have been so good about exercising, you've earned it. You'll work that billionth pound off in not time!

Kat, you contributed plenty to the last challenge regardless of what the scale tells you tomorrow. I bet you've lost weight, but even if you haven't, cheering everyone else on counts for something too. I for one look at our challenges as a team effort. All of us succeed in one way or another. I hope you enjoyed your shut eye. The kids actually entertained themselves quietly this morning so I got to sleep in until 9 this morning. It was HEAVEN.

Lucky, you naughty girl. Still, raking down ANY kind of hunk counts as exercise in my book! Sure, some are more fun than others, but exercise all the same. LOL.

I'm off to make my grocery list. I've avoided the store for as long as I can. Since the kids had kool-aid with their breakfast this morning, it could be argued that I've waited one day too long. Yep, I'd better get my rear in gear before lunch rolls around.

Hope you all have a terrific day!

Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #7  
a work in progress...

Default All righty then....

Another beautiful day here! I've convinced the boys to join me for another beach walk today. The dog is going to think she died and went to heaven! It's probably in the 40s, but so sunny and such a welcome change from all the frigid days we've had for so long!

Congratulations Tricia! You are surely going to reach your mini goal! What a wonderful inspiration to us all!

Lucky, I'm glad you clarified the raking for me. Now it's clear as mud! Maybe some hunky guy will get stuck in the muddy driveway and you can keep him for your very own! Mike the Plumber perhaps?

Gloria...If it's the town I'm thinking of, Cranbury isn't too far from here! I'm more coastal, very near the Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook.

Skittles, we had a lovely walk yesterday, you'll be joining us again today?

Uh oh, the man is back from the MAC machine...which means it's time to roll out. See you all later!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #8  
Gloria

I NEED YOUR HELP!! Gina (Daughter-in-law) called today and said she will be graduating on May 20th with her Ph.D. I just have to lose 20 pounds before then. Went swimming today so now all i have to do is control my food. One pound down, 19 to go. Wish me luck.
Gloria
Old 02-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #9  

Thumbs up

Geez, Gloria I was trying to make it through February and now you are going for 20 lbs in 14 weeks. I would love to join you, but feel I would be setting myself up for a disappointment. Hmmm Dr. Phil would not be happy with that sentence!!!

Shake that bootie!!!

Tricia: Or should I give you my name Actually luck has nothing to do with it - your hard work is paying off - maybe I need more laundry to do?? What are the kids having for breakfast tomorrow????

As Kat said you are an inspiration.

Quote:
Maybe some hunky guy will get stuck in the muddy driveway and you can keep him for your very own! Mike the Plumber perhaps?
Oh, Kat do you know me or what.

Well, I have been taking notes from Dr. Phil as I read however I started to "play" with some of my scrap book tools and before I knew it - it was 6PM.

I REALLY want to stay on a good path - exercise
and eating well. I have one day almost down!

BarbPA - where are you???? Are you okay?

Old 02-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #10  

Talking Sharing

Ten Fitness Obstacles and Their Solutions
By Edel Jarboe

Obstacle #1: "I don't feel like working out today." Whenever you feel tempted to skip your exercise routine or to put starting one off altogether, remind yourself of the reasons why you want to exercise. Write it down on an index card and read it whenever you feel like blowing off your health. Why do you want to get fit? How will being in shape benefit your life?

Obstacle #2: "I'm just not motivated to exercise." Setting specific daily or weekly fitness goals helps you to focus on your performance and keeps you motivated. For example, committing to working out four days a week or walking five miles gives you a specific fitness target to aim for and makes it easier for you to make the time to exercise. It is also helpful to keep a record of your fitness performance so that you can up the stakes and stay challenged. Most importantly, you can provide ongoing motivation by rewarding yourself at the end of each week or month with a pedicure, massage, or new workout gear.

Obstacle #3: "I don't have time to exercise." Schedule your fitness workouts for the week with a specific time, location, and activity. When you do this, you eliminate the excuse of not having enough time to workout. Quite simply, you make the time and honor this appointment with yourself.

Obstacle #4: "I have a hard time staying motivated." Keep a workout journal. Tracking your progress helps you to see how far you've come. Record the date, activity, how long you worked out or how many reps you completed, and how you felt afterward. You could also keep track of your measurements and how you feel about your body as it becomes stronger and leaner.

Obstacle #5: "I'm too busy to exercise." On crazy-busy days, instead of skipping your workout, do a mini-version of it. For example, if you don't have time for your usual one-hour step video, scale it down to 30 minutes using just the of warm-up and the beginner's level. Not only will you feel good about yourself but you will also maintain your fitness schedule. Being too busy is no longer an excuse because you can also take a couple of 10 or 15-minute fitness breaks during the day. Even on our busiest days we can find at least this much time for ourselves. The point is to keep moving so that we don't start using this excuse all the time and sabotage our fitness plan.

Obstacle #6: "I got sick and haven't exercised in months." Always have a backup fitness plan. Be creative and come up with alternative fitness solutions for when you are out of town, bored, or in a time crunch. Planning for setbacks keeps you in control of your fitness. Working out before you go to work, at lunchtime, or adding a new activity to your fitness repertoire are all good solutions to the above fitness obstacles.

Obstacle #7: "I'm not a fitness buff. I don't really like to exercise." Develop a fitness mindset anyway. When you see yourself as a walker, runner, or a step video queen exercise becomes second nature. How can you identify yourself as a fitness buff? Keep a regular exercise schedule and make your workout time as important as the other areas of your life.

Obstacle #8: "I don't like working out alone." Find a workout buddy. Having someone else there on your road to fitness makes workouts more fun and adds the spirit of competition to your routine. You also keep each other motivated. Make sure your exercise partner has the same fitness goals and that you both commit to a regular workout schedule.

Obstacle #9: "I'm bored with my exercise routine." Okay, so you've gotten your exercise routine down. Four times a week you run the same five miles. Yawn. Suddenly you don't feel like going for your run anymore. Spice it up. Look for new ways to make your workout fun and exciting. Try a new route or cross train. Alternate your running days with spinning classes, hiking, or rock climbing.

Obstacle #10: "I'll always be out of shape." Acknowledge that your fitness is under your control and that you have the power to take charge of your health. Believe that you can make it happen.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM   #11  
Gloria

Happy Valentines day everyone. Carl still has a cold and has not kissed me in days. I don't know what is worse, catching his cold or not being kissed. I sure could go for Mike the plumber or Larry the cable guy.

I love watching Dr. Phill Lucky. I have even tried to think up some weird thing i might have just so i can tell him about it and get to be on his show. Other than having five dogs and trying to loose 20 pounds by May 20th, my life is fairly simple. You know, if you stop and think about it, 20 pounds in 14 weeks is doable. Its about a pound and a half a week. If i only get the pound a week, i will be happy with that.

Tricia-You go girlfriend. Care to join my in my quest for a pound and a helf a week?
I HATE FOOD SHOPPING! I'm with you Tricia, i put off and put off till there is almost nothing in the house to eat. I do have to go this morning so i guess i better get my butt in gear.

Can BarbG., BarbPa., Cheryll come out and play? Would love to hear what is happening in your part of the world.

Later gator.
Gloria

Old 02-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #12  

Good morning all!

I can't believe I did this but I canceled our cable this weekend. We only ever watch two of the hundred channels we subscribe to - Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon and I don't want the kids to grow up in front of the TV. The problem is that I use it as a crutch anytime I need time to get something done. It is much less hassle to tell them to watch a cartoon while I am busy than it is to stop put on their shoes and socks, clothes, etc. and send them outside. That is my fault and I am doing them a huge injustice by plopping them down and letting them zone out for my conveniece. And, of course, it makes everything we do a pain. I mean what kid wants to leave the comfort of the couch to get dressed and go to the library? Or worse, to run errands. The funny thing is that our kids used to NEVER watch TV. But as they got older and each needed more individual attention we gradually started appeasing them with it. I'm guilty of sending Jake and Addie to the TV while I help Will make a poster for school or something. When, really, there is no reason (other than it is easier on me) that they can't just do a little craft of their own too. I'm rambling but the point is I am glad the cable is gone. Now if I can just convince DH that video games aren't any better. Of course, he argues that at least the games increase the dexterity in their hands and help their eye hand coordination - WHATEVER- a lot of good that will do them in grade school!

So far, so good on food and exercise. We grilled hamburgers last night - I use lean ground beef (170 calories for 4 oz) for mine everybody elsed gets ground chuck or they complain it is too dry. Plus baked french fries. Then we had fresh strawberries over low calorie, fat free pound cake with fat free cool whip. It was one of those meals that was EXACTLY what I wanted and really hit the spot. And I still came in just under 1200 calories for the day. And I made it to the gym for a couple of hours despite it being a yucky, rainy day. I had almost talked myself out of going then reminded myself that one of the biggest reasons I rejoined the gym was so that I would have an excuse not to exercise because the weather wasn't just right. I am glad I went, I had a good work out and felt much better afterwards (plus I didn't feel bad about having that shortcake!).

Gloria, I believe that you can lose 1.5 pounds each week until your DIL's graduation if you want to. And if you miss it by a little don't worry - any progress is good progress.

I'm trying to get to 150 by May 31 - also 20 pounds and 1.5 lbs each week so maybe we can cheer each other on. That is a fairly aggressive goal for me at this point so I know I'll need all of the encouragement I can get. I've lost more in the last couple of weeks but I think that has to do with switching to staggered calories one week, then adding heavier exercise the next week. Those are the last of any big changes for me so I know the weight I lose each week will start to taper down at this point.

We are off to get all of our running around done. I hope you all have a great day!

Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #13  
Gloria

I must tell you Tricia that i think you are amazing. To turn off your cable so you can spend more time with your kids is pretty wonderful in my book. I think back to when my kids were little and i wish i had done the same thing. When i was growing up, there was not a hole lot of love in my house, but if i had that growing up thing to do over again, i would want you as a mother. Keep up the good work.
Gloria
Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #14  
BELIEVE!

Happy Valentine's Day!

I'm here - just sort of lurking around. Today is my first day back at work and it's very emotional because I have so many people coming up to talk to me and express their sympathy and asking how I am doing. I've spent the entire day trying to choke back tears.

I'm also waiting (not so patiently) for my nurse to call me back and talk to me about the next steps in our process.

One the health front, I have regained my focus to feel better - emotionally and physically. Last night I soothed myself with ice cream and then felt icky afterwards. Today I am back to my healthy eating habits and my gym bag is packed and in the car waiting for me.

Big Hugs to you all!!!! I may not be really active on the boards for a while, but I am still here lurking around.

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #15  

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

Just now getting a chance to get on the puter after the weekend. I think I'll pass on weighing myself today, after going to Chuckie Cheeses on friday. Plus my husband went to the movies and yes had popcorn and candy. My grandson got down to some serious dancing at chuckie cheeses. He had a ball. The weekend was too short, thats for sure. I am leaving to go work out in about 10 minutes, so I gotta make this a quick one. Yes, I'm going to work out on Valentines day. I'm sure the gym will be dead, but I need to get right back on the healthy eating after the weekend I had.

Congratulations Gloria on your one pound weight loss. One step at a time. You will meet your goal. Also on the whole working out thing. That is the one thing that makes me feel complete. If I exercise sometime during the day, my whole attitude is better. It's no different than waking up and brushing your teeth. It's something you include in your daily routine. If I don't work out it dictates the day I have. It is like breathing to me. I don't look at it like drudgery, misery or anything. To me its a party for myself. I know that sounds corny, but it's time that I try to take for me. My husband has always understood how important that time is to me. And I have made so many friends from working out. I have and entire euchre club that has aerobic buddies in it. Just thought I'd share that. And as a group we all have that common struggle and and formed friendships within this forum.

Also just want you to know gloria that I love all your graphics. Love the fireplace glowing. Pretty cool.

Anyway, I need to get out of here but everyone have a good valentines day. Tommorrow I will tackle the scales.

Cheryll
c bo be is offline   Reply With Quote