Old 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #256  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

A quick note before joining the madding crowd rushing to get home in the snow:

Lori: I feel your pain! Debt is truly a burden. Dave Ramsay's books are get on the subject. I just loaned my brother money to pay his rent, he suffers from depression (when he's overwhelmed, he just doesn't open his bills) and most of his paycheck already goes to pay off old debts. I really pushed him to talk with a nonprofit credit counselor, so that he will feel like he's working a plan with a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm in no position to do this for him again, I have my own debts to deal with! Lori, I hope things look up for you and your hubby--soon!

Today is a good day, except for eating a few tortilla chips accidentally (?). I've decided to drag myself down to the apartment building's exercise room tomorrow morning, to make friends with the treadmill. Wish me luck!
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #257  

Default I am still here, really I am!

HI girls!
Listen, it seems as if we have a thread running about debt. If there is anything that I can do to help anyone, please feel free to ask.
I do a lot of portfolio management, financial planning, etc, but I do have a lot of clients that have significant debt issues, so I also offer credit counseling.
Please feel free to PM me.

I am swamped with the new business opening! The office furniture was delivered today, and I hope it was put up properly, because I have 4 appointments scheduled for Monday, and that is twice what I am really comfortable with--but I will make it work.

Interviewed a lady yesterday, but I don't have a great feeling that she will work out. She seems to be the type that will bail as soon as she finds something that pays better. I will interview a gentleman tomorrow--hope that goes better.

Am going to try to exercise tonight--have missed that all week!!!!!!!!!

This, too, shall pass!

Hang tight everyone!
Joetta
KYColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #258  
kpe
Paige

Red face Weigh In Day

Hi everyone, Well WI has come and gone. I lost 1.6 lbs. I know I should be happy because I have gone down every week and a lot of the teachers at work have had at least 1 week inwhich they gained. I am just really disappointed that I have only lost 8lbs in a month. I can really tell a difference in my slacks that use to be tight accross my stomach. I put on a pair today and I didn't feel uncomfortable in them (like the button could fly off at any moment and poke someones eye out). Yeah!! I know that working out on the treadmill is really helping, but....it would be nice to see more pounds come off.

Work was actually ok today!

Lori- I can totally feel your pain too!!! I think debt is the American way. We filed bankruptcy a few years after we were married. We had spent alot of money we didn't have trying to get pregnant along with the fact that credit cards and I are a bad mix....kindof like oil and water. We only have one credit card now that my mom keeps for me (doesn't that sound silly) that we can only use for an emergency. I just don't trust myself or my husband for that matter. We pretty much function on a cash only basis. The only loans we have are our house and cars. I had a lot (I mean my parents did) growing up and I found it was really hard when I was on my own and I could no longer live like I had. It was a real adjustment and not one I made very well. Even today I think I need to keep up with the "Jones". New cars, new home...... Chin up things will get better! I thought it was bleak and eating was also a way I handled my stress with our finances. So hang in there and have faith!!!

Time to hit the treadmill! Talk to you all tomorrow!

Paige
kpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #259  
Robin

S/C/G: 225/223/160

Height: 5'9"

Good evening. I hope everyone is doing well.

Joetta: Good luck with your opening. I wish you much success.

Paige: Congrats on the weight loss. Even 1.6 lbs is a step in the right direction. And muscle weighs more than fat. So, replacing fat with muscle and still losing any weight is a success. A big one. I have my weigh in on Monday, and I don't think I've lost any weight. However, my pants are fitting a little, tiny, bit looser. And I'm at least happy that I'm resisting my urges to binge on donuts. And I'm walking almost every night. So, even if I don't really lose this time, I'm still making progress. You need to look at it that way. And the reality is, the slower your weight comes off, the more likely it will stay off. And that's the ultimate goal, isn't it?

I'm heading off to Spokan for a huge home & garden show. I'm hoping to get a lot of ideas for the house we're building. I may be able to check in if I take my laptop, but then it will be a sort of mini vacation for me. So, I probably won't take it. I'll probably wait until Sunday and check in then.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Robin
rtardif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 AM   #260  

Good Morning !!
I have to make this quick, I'm running slightly behind this morning. Thank you and I will probably being PM'ing for debt advice. DH wants to explore equity loans so for now that's it.

Paige, I feel your weight loss pain, it's a big dissapointment to jump on and not lost what you think you should have or want to. I struggle with this every week. I know it is better to only lose 1-2 lbs a week, but I of course want more! But honestly if you lose more than 1-2 lbs you start to look bad, losing to fast can make your face look suken in and that's not good. Roll with the 1 lb, it's a good thing!! If you notice we are all only losing about 1/2 to 2 lbs a week so we all feel your pain. Hang tough, before you know it your second month will be over and you will have anywhere from 4-8 lb loss then the third flyes by and even more is gone. The idea is to hang tight because it is going to be slow but should remain steady!

I got to get in the shower, I'll check back later.
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #261  
Kerry

Sounds like this is the week of the $$woes. I agree that it is hard to stay away from the cookies when I'm feeling stressed about the cash flow (or lack thereof). Being recently out of grad school with DH in the middle of his BFA you can only imagine how bad it has gotten. We overwithdrew our checking this week and I didn't know it until I got paid today. Every week I pray that one of these places will call and I'll get a FT job, but still nothing. I did recently manage to consolidate all my CC debt onto a low interest card and I am refinancing the car next week for a lower interest and payment. It's all I can do right now to stay afloat. All of this compounded to a point where we had the brakes on trying to have a baby. The miscarriage almost a year ago took so long to pay off and my doc has recommended fertility treatments that we can't afford. I feel like all my dreams are so far out of my reach right now.

I doubt that I am going to lose this week. I'm just hoping that I didn't gain. I think I have the problem of not eating enough sometimes. Then the weekends I eat too much. I thought that we would be able to take a short little jaunt to FL in March and was SOOO looking forward to it, but now I'm not sure. I'm feeling depressed and I want all my comfort foods.

Paige - the most I've lost in a week is the first week and half which was probably all water weight because I cut out so much sugar and sodium all at once. After that I've been lucky if I lose one pound a week. I keep telling myself that's how I put it on and so that's how I have to take it off. Even though it sux it is healthier and probably something I'll be more likely to live with and maintain in the end. 8 in a month is awesome!

Robin - You're going to Spokane, WA? Ok so you live in Idaho - question for you - What is that region like? I saw a job yesterday at WSU in Pullman and I swear it was written for me ie perfect fit. But I've been warned against that side of WA. Tell me the good, the bad, etc. You can pm or email me if you want. I'd appreciate any input. Thx!

Lori - our fearless leader (((Hugs))) hang in there hun. I wish I had some advice, but I'm in a sorry state of affairs myself.

Happy Friday everyone! I'm so glad it's the end of the week!
Loud_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #262  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Paige--Way to go!!! You've been working hard, to do so well. I can't imagine losing 8 lbs in one week. I'm very happy for you, and a bit envious I think it's harder to lose more than a couple of pounds a week if your weight has yo-yoed up and down and up again. Your fat cells just get sneakier, and your body quickly adjusts to the latest diet. That's what I tell myself, anyway....That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Seriously, though, I will be content if by December I can say that I lost an average of 5 lbs a month.

Joetta--best wishes with the big opening! I love it when women are in financial management, there aren't nearly enough of us doing that sort of work.

I want to stop at the grocery store on the way home, and it's already later than I thought, so here's a general shout-out to everybody: Have a wonderful weekend!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:00 PM   #263  

Default This is what you call a weekend?

It is 8:30PM on a Friday, and I just got home from the office!
Thanks to all of you for the good wishes on the new office! I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Robin, I gather that you are from Idaho and going this weekend to Spokane--are you close to Coer d'Alene? That has to be my most favorite city in the US! I fell in love with that area while camping and did not want to leave. I seriously considered moving there!---Kerry, I loved that area--Spokane is a nice university city, so more to do there, and a fairly good sized airport. WA is interesting in that there is the high desert and then go across the mountain to the ocean side and those guys are always wet! I truly love that area of the US.

Paige, got a thought for you--we all need to focus on the positives--so here is one for you---think of all the time saved now that you don't have to keep sewing on those popped buttons!!!!! See???Life is good!!!

Judy, good suggestion to Lori about the Dave Ramsay series, he does a good job overall of helping couples get on track.
Lori, you mentioned a home equity loan--please let me give you of my observations on that. Interest rates are low, so now is a great time to get a loan if needed, to use the equity that you have built up. However---(isn't there always an "however"?), make sure that you have long range plans that you can stick to. If you use the loan to pay off credit card debt with outrageous rates--that is great---as long as---you know that you will NOT start using the credit cards again like before.
Worst case scenario---couple gets home equity loan to pay off high interest rate credit cards--relief---furnace goes out, have to buy a new one-no way to pay except credit card. one spouse is ill, off work, no pay for a couple of weeks. Not only do they have the mortgage and credit card debt, but oh yeah, the home equity loan is also in the picture--can't do it all ----end up losing the house through foreclosure.

Keep in mind that if there is a chance that the old credit card habits will continue, the home equity loan is not a good idea--don't put your home at risk. If things get so tough that bankruptcy is a viable option, remember that credit card debt can be erased without losing your home.

A tip that I have used for extreme cases where clients are afraid to not have a credit card (just for emergencies)--get rid of all but 1-and put that 1 in a baggie and wrap very well with duct tape. In an absolute emergency, you can still get to it--but you probably will not bother to use it for that great sale that you stumble onto for key lime flavored lipstick!

Have a great weekend all!
joetta
Old 02-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #264  
kpe
Paige

Talking Yeah! It's Friday!

TGIF ladies!!

I hope everyone has had a great day!!

I don't really have much to say except that I am exhausted!! The weekend is going to be busy getting all the errands done that I didn't get to do last weekend because we had company.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I will try to check in on everyone tomorrow. Hopefully I will have something exciting to say. I guess some days are just like this....

Paige
Old 02-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #265  

Joetta, thank you for the advice! I'll have to PM you, it will take me forever to put it on the thread (and may really depress our friends) well maybe not, my debt is huge and my make some feel better!

I am soooo thirsty tonight, I don't think I had anything real salty. We had taco night tonight, I haven't done that in ages. I love it, but wish the fairy god mother would show up to do the dishes!!!

Another weekend, yea!!! Oh, I wish the kids would go to bed, dads over at his buddies house helping with a furnace and they my boys love to push my buttons. Have I mentioned how bad I hate the news sometimes, kids running away, people abusing animals, and the house fires. If it's not snowing or the Steelers aren't in the play offs the news dosen't have anything to talk about so they pound the sick crap into the ground!!! Ok I vented!

I don't think I'll see a weight loss this week, which is really frustrating and you ladies know excatly what I mean. After behaving all week and doing everything right I'ld like to take my scales and toss them out in the street!

Ok, I best stop, can you tell I'm still venting!! I'll check back in the moring!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:24 AM   #266  

Default Starting the weekend confessions:

I have my coffee, hubby is still sleeping, munchkin is out camping--and I forced myself to get on the scale.
I am up two pounds--but I actually expected more. The past 2 weeks have been horrible diet wise. A 3 day sinus headache, 3 birthday parties, Valentine's Day, weekend company with tons of chips, donuts, drinks, TOM, huge gyro for dinner last night, and no exercise for the past 7 days. I honestly expected the springs to recoil when I finally got back on the scale!

Today is a new day--back on the wagon!!
Tons of things to do, so not a lot of time to nosh--take the small blessings where you can get them

Have a wonderful Saturday girls!
Joetta
Old 02-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #267  

Good Morning !!
I have some running around to do this morning, pick up my prescription, the bank, and the grocerie store. I shouldn't be gone too long (thank goodness)! When I have to go running around I don't seem to get anything done and that's never good!

I seem to be in a better mood! I just can't believe I've hit a stand still already!!! Good thing I have you girls to whine to or I might just crawl back in bed and eat 2 dozen girl scout cookies !!

Well things have taken a strange turn in all this debt, we are considering selling one of the houses, which would be the one we are living in now! Oh I don't know if I can bare moving agian!! Our old house was just as small as this place but the boys had to share a bedroom, YIKES!!! I had a basement that floods despite the cash we put in for french drains and sub pumps, but we had a beautiful yard and DH had his own garage! Kerry I know how you feel about things out of reach, I'm right there with you!! If we move back to the old house we are in debt soooo bad that the remodeling will have to wait ! My parents will be upset too, having my kids across the street is nice for them and my dad isn't doing too well these days, but I hope they can understand. My bedroom furniture won't fit anywhere in the house and I don't want to part with any of it! And in the mist of all of this I'll have to do something with my sister-in-law who is living in the house now, and it won't be easy. She's a lifer of living off the system, but I can't understand why she would want to live in that small house with the two of them and their 4 children! I was a case worker for our county when I first graduated school and the people whos entire goal was to get on social security ($500 a month) just blew my mind, don't they want more out of life??? Well I seem to have the bla-bla-bla's this morning so I'll stop rambling and get my kids moving. I'll be back today!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #268  
Kerry

Good Morning! Yes I did in fact sleep until almost 11 am and it felt GOOD! DH did too and I think both of us felt like it was an excellent use of our time. We were so bored last night. Trying to watch our pennies and so we didn't do anything other than go out for a sandwich (I had a coupon). Fridays like that make me feel really old.

Lori you are my hero - moving is the one thing that would help us considerably, but I have pretty much refused. We are renters and we pay way too much, but it keeps us close to the college for DH and we have a wonderful yard for our Rottie. My folks have suggested either moving or trying to talk our landlord down in rent and I've attempted neither. But if it would help you that much, hun maybe it's the way to go. I keep thinking that I'm going to land one of these jobs and we'll have to move anyhow - but who knows how long this could drag on. I applied for 5 jobs yesterday: U of GA in Athens, Samford U in Birmingham AL, Ohio U in Athens, E Carolina in Greenville NC, and Washington State in Pullman. Wow! Of all of the 13 jobs total I've applied for I have the most hope for the Birmingham job calling me but I don't know why? But who knows, the law firm in SC might just call too.

Well I've been exploring my entire closet trying on clothes and I am surprised how many fit - but not perfectly. I hope I've lost this week, DH keeps saying how good I look, but you can't trust a man since he likes me no matter what! All I had yesterday was a bowl of bean soup and my sandwich from Quiznos. I drank splenda tea all day - no soda oh and 1 beer. For some reason I didn't feel snacky or really hungry. I'm going to weigh in on Monday morning.

Well I'm off here for now. I'll check back in later. Have a great Saturday ladies! It's sunny and beautiful here so I think I'm taking Bella (my Rottie) to the park!
Loud_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #269  

Good evening ladies, I hope some of you can break away to come out and play! Since I have no life and of course no money guess I'm stuck at home! I should be cleaning something, nah, it's the weekend!! How's everybody else's weekend going??? One of these days it's going to quit snowing so I can at least go out side again!! When it snows I want sooo badly to grab my skis and the kids and head for the mountains, but then reality sets in, that's expensive!! At least when it's warm I can walk and bike for free !! Oh well, another weekend is zipping by and I have to decide what to cook!
Chow for now, but I'll be around!!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #270  
kpe
Paige

Default I passed the test!

Hi ladies!!!!
I hope everyone is having a great day.
Today has been so hectic as most of my weekends tend to be. It began with a trip to Target to pick up a present for a birthday party today. Of course my daughter wanted everything in the toy section for herself. I then rushed home to drop her off and went to get my hair done. I am very proud of myself I actually came home with a new style. She cut about 6 inches off in some places. So I have a short sassy new do. My hubby even liked it!! Then I had to get home to pick up my daughter and take her to the birthday party. They had all kinds of badddddddddddddddddddddddd food and I passed every last thing up!!! I was so proud of myself. The chocolate covered strawberries were very tempting, but I said no!!!!!!!! This was probably the first really big test I have had since I went on WW. But then it happened I became one of them (you know those people who sit and judge what heavy people are eating). I am so much more aware of food now and I don't know if that is such a good thing sometimes.
Anyway I hope everyone is being strong this weekend and making good choices for yourself. Later

Paige