Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #16  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Marti~ I am with the others on this. It's one thing to help with the decorations, food and such but to foot the bill or even part of it ummm, no. And don't let her make you feel guilty because you shouldn't. You explained your situation to her and that should be it, she should have taken you up on your offer to help out. I too am wondering if she was wanting you to help others with it or is she giving her self a baby shower or wanting to but at someone else's expense or partial expense. Definitely not proper etiquette to give your self a baby shower or to have a baby shower for #2 etc. but every one is different and times they have changed. Just don't feel guilty over this. And like Jane said, call her in a few days to let her know you are willing to help. She shouldn't hold it against you.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:12 AM   #17  

Height: 5'1"

She had mentioned this to me before during the day we decorated my grandpa's house. And my Aunt said she'd do it. So I assumed it was taken care of....but then she called me and asked again. I asked about our Aunt and she really didn't give me an answer to that. Then she told me that she's pretty much throwing the shower herself. Now.....why would she do that?
And the age gap is only 2yrs....so all the stuff she has is practically new.

She probably does feel like I "owe" her after throwing me the reception.....but the reception was my grandma's idea (I didn't want one and especially didn't want my grandma to do it while she was sick) and so my sister piped up and offered.

I figured I would just talk to her in a couple days or so and see what's happening.....or...I may call my Aunt. I'm not sure. I may just leave it as it is.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the advice!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #18  
RosieKate

Hi Marti - Hope this situation w/your sis is smoothing itself out. I was just over at the other online comunity I hangout in, a simple living and frugality message board. There was an idea there that made me think of this situation. Given what you have said about your sister and how she feels about "stuff", this may not work, but i'll throw the idea out there anyway. The idea is to have 2nd baby shower be a hand-me-down shower. Lots of people were contributing to a thread on this topic.... said it really solved the dilemma of 2nd baby showers and the new moms got more stuff than they expected.

I've been on somewhat of a tight budget for both kids and love hand-me-downs.... but I know people have varying opinions about used clothes. That being said...I'm off the Red, White, and Blue with my kids as we speak! ( RWB is a big thrift store 'round these parts)

Hope you are having a great weekend w/ Jhanai!
Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #19  
GmaTo8

Marti,
]
Did you and your sister ever talk about this again? I'm just wondering how it turned out....
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #20  

Height: 5'1"

Nope, haven't discussed this since she called. I don't want to ruin my holiday spirit by being stressed over it. I'm sure we'll talk more on Christmas Eve.
I will keep you updated though!

thanks for asking!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote