3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Water for Chocolate (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/46610-water-chocolate.html)

LauraLynn 09-13-2004 05:05 PM

Water for Chocolate

"Water for Chocolate" is our name
Losing weight together is our game
Our wish, to lose 100 lbs or more
Without it feeling like a heavy chore

Our "need vs want", we battle each day
Cheering eachother on, along the way
Friends by fate walking hand in hand
Acceptance for all is the law of our land

Join us anytime you feel like being apart
Stay for a while and share your inner heart
We dont judge and we dont squabble
So come on in, we wont mind if you wabble.

Samantha2002 09-13-2004 06:23 PM

Love the poem, LauraLynn, very creative! Today is alright, am having problems with people at work tempting me...why do they do that????? Asking me if I want to order out, etc. GRRRR.... :devil:

redtrisha 09-13-2004 06:44 PM

Hi Everyone Glad that you are finding the room.And yes Laura thank you.I have done good today so far.I got up at 4am and did 20 minute of biking and rowing.Taht felt good.I also wore my pedometer today and have done 8288 steps as we speak.Yesterday I thought I would be smart and cook a zuccini and walnut loaf and stupid me left pans in the oven as it was preheating and when I took them out after the smoke was all over the kitchen I turned the oven off as a reflex thing and lol the loaf was still raw 20 minutes later.It tastes really good but isn't very high.I planned my menu out on saturday and my meals and it is going good so far.I have statyed within my points and have been drinking my water.My snack at night which is my downfall has been ice cream bars that I made myself from ww and are they good.So that keeps me going for now.I hope everyone is staying on track and Samantha when they order out at work what I do is if you know ahead of time I make my lunch the same thing but it looks so much better and you feel better for it.The girls at work know that I am trying to lose weight so they offer but no pressure.I hope this helps

Samantha2002 09-13-2004 07:07 PM

Thanks for the support. One girl in particular is one of those people that you hate because she eats all day long and is super skinny. I don't know why but she is the one who is constantly like "Hey Sam, do you want the rest of my Chicken Express? Hey Sam, do you want the rest of my french fries? Hey Sam, do you want the rest of my potato chips?" GRRRR Maybe she is nervous that one day I will look better than her!!!! HA that would be great!
Anyways, I have been known to do some pretty stupid things with the oven myself, never have prided myself on being a good cook, maybe after this journey I will be, you never know!!!
So far today I have been pretty good:
I had one ounce of Cuban Coffee this morning, then went walking with my friend. She insisted on having coffee afterwards, so I got a nonfat decaf latte. Wasn't very good, but oh well :) Then for work I brought a mango, cut up, and mixed with grapes that I had frozen the other night. I also had half of a low fat turkey sandwich from schlotskys (sp?) deli. Tonight I will probably have a sandwich, because I did not make anything ahead of time, and I don't have time to cook when I get home at 9p!!!
Last night I had a chicken teriaki (sp?) lean cuisine, I had never had one of those before and didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised!!! I think next time I will try their three cheese ravioli mmmmmmmmmm.
Hey guys I have some unofficial good news! This morning I weighed myself and I have lost another 5 pounds!! The reason I say that it is unofficial is because I am trying not to weigh myself but once a week, and it only counts when my husband gets the final number! That way it is official, and I am not cheating myself!!!! I will let you know tommorrow morning whether it is official or not!

Samantha2002 09-13-2004 07:14 PM

By the way guys, if anyone wants to visit my fitday journal, here is the website -
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...r=Samantha2002
I love that website, because I can track all of the food that I eat daily, and it tells me how many calories I have eaten, then I put in what exersizes I did and it tells me how many calories I have burned. It produces charts to tell me whether I am eating too many, to few vitamins, etc. Also, it allows me to keep a personal journal! Feel free to visit!!!

Samantha2002 09-13-2004 07:21 PM

Well I am currently trying to use my crocpot alot because it is so convenient for me - I work from 1p to 9p everyday, and do not have time to cook when I get home. So, if I can have something waiting for me in the crocpot, it is less likely that I will run next door to McDonalds (yes...McDonald and Burger King are visible through my front window...temptation at it's worst!!!!) and get something to eat.
So, if anyone here has any good low fat/calorie crocpot recipes, please let me know!!!!
I also noticed how high in sodium the lean cuisines were. That's crazy!!! But, with my work schedule, it is very convenient!!!
Okay, so today when I went walking with my friend I started to feel horrible cramps in the front of my calves...does anyone know why this is happening? I have been walking for 2 weeks straight, and it has never been this painful!!! They felt like charlie horses on the front of my calves!!! It was terrible! Any advice for that would be very helpful.

DonnaD 09-13-2004 10:10 PM

Hi LauraLynn, Samantha, Angie and Trisha,

How's everyone doing tonight?

Laura Lynn,
Loved your little welcome poem. Sorry it took so long to jump in. I just got on the pc for the first time today. Work, chiropractor, cook dinner, pick up my son. Phew!

Trish,
I had to laugh also, but I'm also was laughing at myself. I was married at 17 and had 3 boys by the time I was 23. Not much time for learning to cook and clean. Everytime I made chicken the smoke alarm would go off and my son would yell " dinners ready" LOL ... 4:00 AM!!!!!!! How do you do it. I find 5:45am tough.

Samantha,
Work is a tough place to stay on plan. We have this one woman. In her 60's, high blood pressure and just had her gall bladder out and she brings in junk everyday to put out in our department. Cakes, chips and now one of my favorites, candy corn. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Everyone keeps asking her to stop because they end up picking all day, but she just laughs and says she can't keep it at home... :mad: grrrrrr.......

Anyway, nice chatting with everyone. Oh yeah, food today, let's see....
eggs, bacon and 1/2 sl veggie cheese
salad w/lite ceasar dressing and chicken
chicken and sf jello for snack
peanuts(too many)
sm serving shrimp salad.

trying to kill carbs.

ttyl :D

Samantha2002 09-14-2004 07:51 AM

Hey guys!

I think that the chat idea is great. I don't know how often I will be able to join, though, because I work evenings. I can get away with posting in the forums, but I don't know how my boss would look at chatting while I am supposed to be working lol!!!
Well the good news from yesterday is official. I think I need to change my signature now to 280/270/150
I am getting a little concerned, actually....does anyone know if losing 5 lbs a week is unhealthy? I would think that it is, but then again, I have completely changed my lifestyle, too. I know I shouldn't expect to lose that much every week. Does it go fast for the first few weeks?? LOL I don't want to get disapointed if it slows down after a while.
Well last night my husband made me a hotdog. WHY does he do that????? He is the one who really inspired me to do something, and now it seems like he is trying to sabatoge me. I seriously felt sick at my stomach after I ate it, then looked at the nutrition thingy on the package. OMG. 16 grams of fat in one hotdog.
Laura - thank you for the advice regarding my cramps in my legs. I don't wear the weights on my ankles or wrists, because, the way I see it, I am already carrying about 150 lbs of weights. I think that is probably plenty! LOL. My next paycheck I am going to invest in a pair of better walking shoes. The ones that I have been wearing were pretty old. I have a sneaking suspicion it is because my friend walks so fast, and I have to keep up with her. I thought that was a good thing, but maybe not. I will speak to my dr.
Anyways, guys, thanks again for all of your support! It truly is motivating to see everyone else on the same journey as myself, and doing so well!
Love, Sam

Samantha2002 09-14-2004 12:03 PM

Angie - funny you mentioned pizza, because I went to Walmart today and bought lots of the healthy choice/lean cuisine meals. I purchased Healthy Choice Pepperoni French Bread Pizza. It has 340 calories, 5 grams of fat, 52 carbs, and 600 mg of sodium. I don't know much about your personal dietary needs, but I had it for lunch and it was delicious!!! And, it was about $2. Laura said she can't eat those often because they have too much sodium, but I don't know about you???
Today a purchased a pilates video, mat, and weights. I will let you know how I like it after I try it.
Also, here is another topic of discussion: I read on the internet that you should take your body weight and divide it by two (for me: 270/2=135) and that is how many ounces of water you should drink daily. However, I have also heard that it is possibly (though not likely) for you to drink TOO much water, and have seizures and die. 135 oz of water seems like an AWFUL LOT of water for one to drink. It sounds uncomfortable. Please tell me what you guys think.
Today when I went walking, my legs did not hurt. I definitely think it is because my friend is walking too fast. (I went by myself today) Should I have her slow down? Or do you think that it will get better over time? Please let me know what you think!
Hope you guys have a very healthy day!!!
Sam

Samantha2002 09-14-2004 12:51 PM

Well I just finished trying out the pilates video. Oh my. That is alot of work. I did it for the first 20 minutes of standing pilates. Then the lady got down on the mat, and I found myself sticking to the mat!!! So, I figure I will cool off for a little while and then work on the last 15 minutes of the workout. The lady doesn't even seem to be out of breath!!! One day I will be like her! :)

Merrick 09-14-2004 04:36 PM

I found the thread

Thank you all for inviting me. I just wanted you'll to konw that I am looking forward to this thread. I would love to do a chat some night. I am also on the east coast. I do have to run, my son has football, I wish they had sports drivers license :lol: I will definatley get back to you all tonight. I can't wait. thanks

annabelle_lee1849 09-14-2004 07:24 PM

Hello everyone I just joined the site. I am really shy so you might not get much out of me lol. I need to loose 100+ lbs. I have been obese my entire life (all of 24 years). I don't really know how much I weight right now. I stopped weighing after about 340lbs. I am 5'11 so I guess I could look worse. I don't know what diet I am going to try but, I do know that I have got to loose the weight b/c my health is a major risk issue right now. I am a severe hypoglycemic..going into the pre diabetic stages. I have back problems, knee problems, blood pressure stays high, irregular/fast heart rate, major water retention especially in my ankles, migraines (daily), fatigue......etc...... My excersize abilities are limited b/c of the back. For instance: I can't lie flat on my back very well. Anyways my name is Frances and I hail from Arkansas.

squabb56 09-14-2004 11:31 PM

Hi Everyone :wave:

This will "indeed" be a quick reply :lol: Too much to do, too little time, too slow #&^# computer.....

Anyways just checking in .... I've had 2 good days in a row :cp:

I'll be working on my goal sheet and incentive program and post it this weekend....

This is a great group we have here and I've enjoyed reading your entries. So sorry I've so little to offer back but know I appreciate all your efforts.

I think I'm the only one from the west coast.

gotta go.....
:grouphug:

redtrisha 09-15-2004 04:31 AM

Morning Ladies
SO sorry that I didn't post yesterday.I had a crappy day and wasn't in the mood for talking.I had a friend pass away.I have know her for 20 years and she had bone cancer.SHe went from 300lbs to 150lbs in 4 months so sad it is a blessing that she went because the suffering is over but it is still hard.The vistitation is tonight and the funeral is tommorow.The truck also went to the garage and we were told could cost up to 1500.00 to fix.So I decided to go to bed at 7:30 and believe it or not I slept throught the whole night.My eating was good though.I have my first weigh in with ww tonight and aunt martha is paying a visit so we will see how it goes.but I have been up at 4 mon and tues exercising for 20 minutes so I think that I will be ok.I won't be on until tommorow again as as soon as I get home tongiht I have to go to ww and then to the visitaion so I hope everyone has a great eating day and keep smiling.Trisha

Samantha2002 09-15-2004 07:53 AM

frances, thank you for joining our thread. I have just recently joined this site also but have found it very motivational and very supportive. I truly believe that you have already made the first step in looking outward for help. I have seen people do it, and I know that you can too! I personally would suggest walking at first. I read somewhere that you should walk if you are trying to lose fat because fat is very slow burning and needs lots of oxygen to burn. Whereas if you run, you get out of breath, therefore your body is not getting enough oxygen to burn fat, instead you would burn carbs. I have been on my diet for only two weeks, have given up cokes and fast food, and walked everyday, and have lost 10lbs. I know you can do it too. Please don't feel shy in this forum, because I know that everyone in here is very supportive and encouraging. I promise that as soon as you start to lose you will feel so much better. I wish you the best of luck.

trisha, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I too know the sting of losing a loved one - for me it was my baby boy. He would have been 2yrs old on October 26th. The only thing that comforts me is knowing that Jesus holds him in his lap. I will tell you guys a very interesting story - since I do not know what any of your beliefs are, I hope this does not offend anyone.
About 2 months after my baby passed away, I was talking to God, and I asked him to give me some sort of sign that my baby was OK, that He was taking care of him. Later on that day (I had forgotten all about asking for a sign) I went to do laundry. When I went to get my clothes out of the dryer, a tiny baby sock fell from my load. I immediately began to cry. I know that was not in my dryer before I put my clothes in there, and, obviously it was not in my clothes. It may be a coincidence, but I took it as a sign from God that he was taking care of my tiny baby boy.
Losing a loved one is one of the worst things in the world. And funny, there is nothing that anyone can say to you to make it better. I just hope that you are able to mourn in the way that works for you. And know that anytime you wish to talk to any of us, please know we are here for you.

laura, I have been trying to keep up with the goal list that you set out for us...for some reason I have a hard time meditating!!! If I stay to still like that, I will fall asleep!!! LOL! Does meditation help you? and if so in what ways?

everyone else - I hope you all are having a very healthy day, and stay motivated towards your goals!!!

Love, Sam

Merrick 09-15-2004 08:36 AM

Good Moring....

Good morning ladies :coffee: :wave:

Let me start by saying Trisha I am so sorry to hear about your friend :( . You are in my prayers. Great job on staying focused on your own health. Death is never an easy process to deal with, no matter how much better off the person may be.

Sam, I cannot imagine, nor do I ever want to find out how a person goes on after what you have gone through. The loss of a child, I know you have a strong faith and that is wonderful, I guess that is how a person goes on. I would have felt the same way about the sock. I too have a strong faith, but I am sure I would probably be mad for a long time. May God bless you for your strong faith, belief and love. I am on my knee bowing to you, you are so strong.

Well Frances, welcome, I am also new to this thread, actually I think the thread itself is fairly new. I agree with the previous advice, walking, even for a short time a few times a day would be the best way to begin. We are all just beginning again. So hang in there, babysteps. Too many changes too soon will not last.

Laura Lynn: I absolutely love the poem, great job. your diet plan sound great. I would never be able to stick to it myself, what will power you have. WW seems like the only one that I can do, lately, due to the flexibility. For now. Best wishes, and keep up the good work. I think the chat room sound good to me. I would like to do that. Also the profiles sounds great, but I have no idea how to create a thread within a thread.

Sam: :bravo: on the 5 pounds a week, when you eliminate carbs most people expereince a quick weight loss. :cp: Have you checked any of the recipes on this web site for the crockpot. The crockpot is a great idea. I too have a similar problem. My son plays football and hockey and the practices and games interfer with dinner. We have Thursdays off. So every night I am scrambling to figure out what to have for dinner. Many nights, we pulled into the local McDonald's or Wendy's. No I did not get the salad, I can't eat that while I am driving. So when you mentioned the crockpot, the lights and bells were going off. If I get any good recipes, I will gladly share them with you. Thanks for the idea. PS: I cannot imagine living so close to McDonalds or Burger King, My son would be in heaven.
Oh yea, the cramps in you legs were probably from walking too fast, your muscles in your shins are not strengthened enough to handle moving that fast. A good way to warm them up before a walk is to do toe taps, it loosens them up.

Trisha: Bravo on the good job, I am on day 3, I am so excited. You sure walked alot the other day. I was wondering what kind of pedometer you have. I keep clearing mine throughout the day, which is so aggravating. I can't believe you get up at 4am. I am usless until 6 am.

Angie: I am like yourself, I eat more in private, I could actually go without eating at functions and chow when I get home. Although, lately I would do both. I am also doing WW at home. We can exchange recipes.

Samantha2002 09-15-2004 09:39 AM

Lynne - I have gotten several recipes off of the thread that I started. There is one that sounds really good with baked apples. I have made chicken, pot roast, and beans. I don't know about pot roast, though, because it seems awful fattening, and I don't really know how to go about finding out exactly how much fat/calories are in it. Lately I have been sticking with chicken, although I am getting tired of it. One recipe that is really good, although I don't know nutritional details is to put chicken breast in with a can of cream of mushroom and a can of cream of chicken soups in it. I don't know if there is a healthier way to make it? It is really good with mashed potatoes, because the soups combine to make a delicious gravy!! One suggestion - don't ever put rice in there! LOL! It is disgusting. BLEH! I learned that the hard way. Today is payday, and I am going to go to barnes and nobles and try to find a low fat crocpot cook book. I will let you know if I find any good recipes.

OKAY, I am going to get ready to go walking...whoohooo
Actually it won't be that bad because I bought a little handheld radio to bring. That will make the time go by faster.

OH! I also bought a pedometer, but I find that it isn't very accurate, am I using it wrong??

Talk to you guys soon!
Sam

sunflowermama 09-15-2004 04:53 PM

Hi, I'm Mary from the state of Kansas, 45 years old, mother to 5 children, and one new son-in-law, wife to a farmer. Last year at this time on August 5th, I started my new journey in life at 319 pounds, for my daughter's wedding this year, I weighed right at 210. With the stress and no time for exercising and partying of the wedding, I regained some weight. On August 30, I started the second half of my journey weighing 222. I'm pretty much doing the same thing I did last year....cutting portions, exercising. This time I'm letting my hubby weigh me!!!! In all my 25 years of being married, he has never known my weight...so it was a deeper sharing for me to be able to do that with him. So every monday, I get weighed, It has held me accountable to someone other than me.....I can't always be relied on for that...lol. Anyways my new journey I want to lose 72 pounds. Last Monday on Sept 13th, I weighed 210. You all sound like a wonderful bunch of people...all ages...from all different areas...I thought maybe you needed a representative from the middle of the united states. Its hard for me to share with people in everyday life...what its like to eat and eat. I can sit and eat a whole bag of potato chips when the next person can eat a few and push it away. Why is that???? Maybe coming on here and reading your struggles will let me know...that I'm not alone, that with your help I can continue on with my journey. Thanks Mary

Samantha2002 09-15-2004 05:03 PM

Mary,
Welcome to our thread! I am sure that you will find it very inspiring and motivational. And, I have to say that you have chosen the right thread to post on! The people in this thread are wonderful people, going through the same struggles that you do.
You will have to teach us a few lessons, though, I am afraid, because aparently you know the ropes!!!! Losing over 100 lbs in one year is amazing. How did you do it? Did you have one specific diet that you went on? What kind of excersizing did you do?
Anyways, welcome to our thread, and I am sure that you will feel very welcome. Best of luck!
Sam

redswirls 09-15-2004 05:07 PM

Welcome Mary!! Just saw your post!!

squabb56 09-15-2004 07:10 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick note. Went to the gym this morning (check). I was really hungry today so I had a 70g bag of peanuts at coffee, then proceeded to have 1/2 a bag of microwave popcorn with my lunch. I guess I could of had 6 chocolate bars.... But I am now back on the wagon for the night. I think we're (hubby & I) going to join WW tonight. So I'll have my first official weigh in. I'll be doing homework all night, but maybe I'll check in before I go to bed. You guys will all be sleeping I bet.

Thinking of you all.

Joy :grouphug:

redtrisha 09-16-2004 04:46 AM

Hi Everyone
I am so sorry for not welcoming everyone new here it has been a hectic week and I am so glad that all of you have joined.My name is Trisha for those of you who don't know me and I have about 95lbs to lose now.I am following the ww program as of last week and my first weigh in I lost 5.4 lbs so that was a nice start.I am from ontario canada and am 45 years young married no kids.Just a toy poodle who is 14 who runs my life.I have struggled with my weight most of my life but am taking a trip to St Marten Island in January with my aunt and 2 cousins it is a trip we have been planning for along time now.I want to be down at least 40lbs by then and that is why I am here to get support and give support.The group is growing so much and looks like an awesome bunch of ladies.Thank you for your words of kindness about my friend Betty.It actually was a happy occasion to walk into last night because she had suffered so much for the past 6 months that it was relief for the family that she is no longer suffering.I will be on tonight it is hubby go out night and I put nightie on early night and have fun on the pc.Alway's look forward to that so if any one wants to chat I will be here from 5 oclock on.I can also start telling you about my ww meetings and what we have learned if anyone is interested.Gotta run and get ready for work.Have a great day everyone and just remember no matter how down we get about our weight we are beautiful and caring people and no one can take that from us.Keep smiling Trisha PS MSN is [email protected] Yahoo is [email protected]

Samantha2002 09-16-2004 08:04 AM

Morning Ladies - yesterday was not such a good day for me. I went with my grandmother and her friend to zookinis for lunch and had the salad/potato bar. I had a baked potato, with just a smidgen of cheese, bacon bits, and no-fat sour cream. I also had spinach leaves with bell peppers, raw broccoli and cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, no-fat ranch dressing, no-fat cottage cheese. Sounds pretty healthy, right? Well, I was sick all day. I don't know if something I ate had been out too long, or whatever, but OMG. I called my grandmother and she said that they weren't sick, and they had the same thing that I did, but none of theirs was the "no fat" stuff. So, I don't know. Then, when I got home from work my husband (yes - the one who NEVER COOKS) had made some HOME MADE TAQUITOS, HOME MADE GUACAMOLE, AND SOUR CREAM. GRRRR. I had promised myself I wouldn't eat fried foods, but he fried it in olive oil, if that makes a difference. I only had two with a tiny bit of sour cream, and made myself a salad with the guacomole.
Anyways, whatever I ate yesterday that made me sick is almost out of my system now, and I am feeling much better. This morning I am so tired because I didn't go to bed until about midnight last night. But I am going to try to stay awake all day like normal so that I can get to bed early tonight.

I hope all of you have a great day!!!
:) Sam

Merrick 09-16-2004 04:12 PM

Good afternoon,

How is everyone, I am sorry but it is very hard for me to log on more than once a day. I wish I could and maybe some days I will.

Sam: there are soups by Campbell, Healthy Request, lo fat, lo sodium, cream of mushroom, and cream of Chicken, and others. They are good also. I use them all the time. I will look for some other recipes myself.

Laura Lynn: I would love to do WW at work, you are lucky to have it there, besides the expense, I usually cannot find a sitter. I am so sorry to have heard what happened to you as a child. that is beyond belivable, how violent humans can be especially to children. I will keep you in my prayers to help you along with this demon that haunts you. Stay strong. You are going to be ok. ;)

Mary: Welcome, You will love it hear it is so nice to have these people in your life. they are all warm and caring. they really care. Bravo to you on the weight loss. That is incredible, how did you do it? Just with cut backs, what strength. :D :cool:

Angie: You are doing great keep up the good work, share some of you motivation......

Joy: I was so glad to read you say, " it could of been 6 bars of chocolate". Bravo to you. Yes it could of been, but it wasn't and even if it was.... it is in the past.. it is over. Please let us know how you do on your weigh in. :)

Trisha: 5.4 loss, that is amazing. Bravo to you. You must feel good, and ready for your journey preparing for your trip. What a goal to work for. Good for you.

I hope I have not missed anyone, if I have please forgive me. I will not do it again.

Please have a great evening I will not say that I will try to check in tonight, because I know I won't be able to. I have a cold and would love to rest and second I have free.
:D :D

squabb56 09-17-2004 02:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I did join WW with hubby last night. Unfortunately, I will have to adjust my signature one more time. WW scale is not kind... :( But the good news is I'm on my way now. I have decided to go with the flex program. It think it will suit our lifestyle better. Maybe I'll try core later on, but for now I think tracking is important for me.

I went to the gym this morning. Stayed OP all day. Busy night for me, class from 6-9pm so I didn't have dinner until 10pm. Then dishes to do and lunches to make. I think I'll pass on the gym tomorrow morning, it's already 11:17 and I'll be too tired to get up at 4:40am

Laura - I cannot imagine what your childhood trama must have been like. I'm sorry that it happened to you. Hopefully you can put it behind you and know that you have nothing to feel guilty or angry at yourself about YOU WERE THE VICTIM. I think you need to be sure to put a positive spin on your break through and make it work for you and move forward....upward and onward :flow1:

Angie Mary Trish Lynn Samantha Great job of sharing and inspiring the rest of us. :cheer:

Anyway I have to get up in six hours now.... :dizzy: and I'm exhausted so I'll say goodnight

:grouphug:
Joy

sunflowermama 09-17-2004 05:07 PM

Good Friday to everyone. Been a busy past two days at work. But finally decided I needed a break to catch up with my journal. Past two days have been okay with the diet, made some cookies last night for some I have to take to a ballgame, but you know what!!!!!! I should of just bought them....would of saved me time and some calories...grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyways, tonight is a football game, my son plays. We play 8-man football as we are a small small school. I love to watch it though.
Many of you asked how I lost the weight I did, I watched what I ate, I havent had a mcDonalds hamburger in ages. I know if I sit down with a whole bag of pretzel, I will eat the whole bag of pretzels, so I portion it out and it what is a serving size. I walk or try to walk at least 4 miles a day. I have a treadmill, an elliptical and some weights I also use to vary my exercising. I live in a very rural community...so no access to a gym. I think my biggest thing was to quit making excuses for myself....on why I shouldn't go out and walk...."its too windy.....not enough time" I just did it.....I made losing weight a priority and made the time....I figured out the wind was excellant for resistance....lol. My hubby is a great supporter for me....He loves me no matter what....but wants me around to grow old with him. When I'm walking....I try to reason out why I use food for my comfort....I really havent came across that almighty answer....I think I never truly felt loved and wanted as a child...I am one of 13....I think I always got the impression....that after about the 3rd or 4th.....we werent really and truly wanted...but we were there...becasue they didn't believe in birth control....I know I'm ranting here....but I think its the first time I have every written that down.

Joy----wow 4:40 a.m !!!!! yikes, I'm not a morning person....I would rather stay up at night...sounds like you have a busy busy schedule...Remember to take care of you somewhere in there

Lynne---thank you for your nice welcome. I hate colds....You get some rest

LauraLynn--I read your idea about the hug and you are right...we are using it for comfort....I tried though this afternoon....when I seen those cookies calling to me...I just sort of wrapped my arms around me, hugged myself and walked the other way...IT WORKED....so big hugs to you

Samantha--your salad sounded delicious...I love salad's especially when at a resturaunt. I hope you are feelign better...Isn't that just like a hubby to cook when you don't want him to...lol

Redswirls--thank you for the welcome...We started out...at about the same weight...mine was 319. You can lose the weight...I know I did....and I thought it wasnt possible for me....it is possible...take baby steps....I know if I would think of having to lose 169 pounds....I would be so overwhelmed....and want to quit...I can't wait to keep reading your entries...to see your progress

Redtrisha--hi, we are that same age....45...my birthday is in December. Wow that St. Martens trip sounds great. Hubby wants to take a cruise for a 25th wedding anniversary which is this year. I'm not sure where I want to go...so you will have to keep us informed on how it went.

As soon as I get off work at 5, I plan to do my 4 mile walk and then go watch some football.....goooooooo team go
Big hugs ladies.

SW: 319, CW: 210, GW: 150
Height 5'7"
Small goal....October 1, 2004 to be 205
Mary

Merrick 09-17-2004 11:16 PM

Hey everyone,

Joy, bravo on WW, I like flex points myself, I do not know that much about the core program. You will do great.

Hey Mary, my son plays football also, this is his first year, however, we have 40 kids on his team. small town, but alot of kids. The town actually gets bigger every year. It is a beach community for many years there was not many whom lived here year round, now we have like 28,000 and almost 50,000 in the summer. Anyway, my son loves football, but his altime love is hockey. He had football practice todnight, and I am up to 4times around the track, (almost a mile) I thought it was more. I think I need new sneakers.

How is everyone, good I hope, my spirits are good, I have a busy day tomorrow and I am praying I stay OP. My son has hockey practice in the morning, then meeting the bus for the football game (over an hour away), they practice for an hour when they get there, then the game and then tomorrow night we have my sister in laws' fathers' birthday party. Thank God I am feeling better. I woke up this morning feeling like death, I went to work and got adjusted and feel great now. I love getting adjusted.

Well I have to get up very early. I will log in when I have more time.

I have not looked for any recipes, sorry, I will hopefully on Sunday. Love you guys.

redtrisha 09-18-2004 02:25 PM

Hi Everyone
I finally am getting some time to sit down and post.It has been a couple of rough day's all I can say is that my boss is a man which is hard enough to deal with but also a total jerk sometimes and has tested me to my limits the past couple of days.I am over it though went to bed at 7:00 last night and slept until 5:00am this morning and feel so much better.I got all of my fall stuff out and did my front porch with mums and things and it looks really good.Also got stung by a dam bee and you will never guess where right on the side of the boob can;t believe it as if they are not big enough now it is swollen and have to go out tonight hope
fully the swelling will go down.I am glad to hear that we have other weight watcher people here I am on the flex plan as I think the core plan is a little to strick for me.I have a site that is really good for recipes that I will give to you this person took alot of regular recipes and made them into weight watcher recipes and wow some of them are good just watch your portion size.As I try them will let you know which ones we like.
My eating has not been to bad.I have been getting enough exercise at work and gardening these past few day's so that has helped.We are going to a barbecue tonight where I know there is going to be alot of food.I go in with great intentions but then they tend to slip as I see all the different things.So my plan is to take a small spoon with me and use it try everything but only with my small spoon.When it comes to desert I will have a small portion and let my husband get it for me so I will not go near the dessert table.I am also going to have an apple before we got they say that fills you up and only 2 points.Mary I truly believe what you said is true that if we want to be succesful at weight loss we have to make it our number one prority you have done so well and your posting was a motivator for me.I think this group is going to be successful.Have to go and get ready to go out.Have a great day everyone and remember only we can take care of ourselves and no one else can do it for us.
See you tommorow Trisha

Samantha2002 09-18-2004 02:27 PM

Hey all - sorry I haven't been posting, just been busy! My week has been ok, except for the last couple of days, but I am determined to get back on schedule. Blew it last night at the bar - I know beer has a bunch of calories, so I thought I would stick to liquor....but after a few drinks it's hard to care about anything, much less sticking to your diet!!!! Turns out that tequila has about 110 calories/oz. Wow. So, anyways, today is another day, and I plan to make up for it by getting extra excersize and eating extra healthy today. I don't do that often, anyways.

Ok, so I hope you all are having a great week!!!! Will post again soon.

redtrisha 09-19-2004 05:46 AM

Morning Ladies
Samantha I hope that you had a good time when you were out because you deserve it.We have to stop knocking ourselves down when we have fun and you are on the right track.You had your night it is over and start again you will probably notice that one night is not goiong to show on the scale just drink lots of water to flush out your system.Keep up the good work. I went ot the barbecue last night and did well on the first course but dessert killed me.I had 3 vodka coolers and 1 piece of carrot cake.1 piece of strawberry whatever it was all I know is that it was good and 1 small brownie and I enjoyed every bit of it.I plan on doing alot of walking today and drinking alot of water to get all of ths sugar out of my system.We are going apple picking today and then to donkey baseball.Should be a great day.Hope everyone else has one also.See you soon
Trisha

Samantha2002 09-19-2004 12:10 PM

Hello Ladies!!!
Trisha - Thank you for your support, and I did have a good time. They all wanted to go out last night too, but I didn't because I didn't want to blow my diet again!! I weighed myself again this morning and didn't notice any change.

Redswirl - I wanted to tell you that the post that you wrote on "Big Whine, don't bother to read" was extremely motivational. All the things you told her apply to me, too (probably everyone else!) and really inspired me to stop feeling sorry for myself and get going!! Any of you other ladies who have not read that thread, I encourage you to do so - it really is inspiring.

Laura - I am sorry to hear about your tough week. I know that you can get back onto your feet and keep going. Please continue to post here when you are feeling down, because I really think that that's when you need to post the most!! Maybe instead of not baking, you could bake something that isn't entirely bad for you, like instead of baking pumpkin pie, bake some pumkin seeds!!! Also, I found an interested article about the sweetners somewhere on this website. I do not remember where I found it, because I saved it for myself to show to my grandma, who enjoys the artificial sweetners. I do not know if it is true or not, but I will paste it here anyways:

Coke..Pepsi..Artificial Sweetener.... (Diet) Coke or Not?
> INTERESTING!

In October of 2001, my sister started getting very sick, she had stomach spasms, she was having a hard time getting around, to walk was a major chore. It took everything she had just to get out of bed; she was in so much pain. By March 2002, she had undergone biopsies, and was on 24 various prescription medications. The doctors could not figure out what was wrong with her. She was in so much pain, and so sick, she knew she was dying. She put her house, bank accounts, life insurance etc. in her oldest daughters name, and made sure her Younger children were to be with her oldest daughter. She wanted her last "hooray", so she planned a trip to FL (basically in a wheelchair) for March 22nd. On March 19th I called her to ask her how one of her tests went, and she said they didn't find anything on the test, but they believe she had MS. I thought, oh, my.... then I recalled an article a friend of mine e-mailed to me...and I asked her....Do you drink Diet pop? She told me yes, as a matter of fact she was getting ready to crack one open that moment....I told her not to open it, and stop drinking the diet pop....and e-mailed her the following article. She called me within 32 hours after our phone conversation and told me she stopped drinking the diet pop, and she can walk... she went up the stairs, and the muscle spasms went away. She said she didn't feel 100% but sure felt a lot better. She told me she was going to her doctors with this article and would call me back when she got home. She called me, and her doctor was amazed, he is going to call all of his MS patients to find out if they consumed artificial sweetener.... In a nutshell, she was being poisoned by the aspartame in The diet soda, dying a slow death. When she got to FL March 22nd, all she had to take was one pill, and that was a pill for poisoning....she is well on her way to recovery.....and she is walking!!!!! No wheelchair!!!!

This article saved her life!!!! The life saving article:

If it says "SUGAR FREE," on the label, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!! I have spent several days lecturing at the WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE on "ASPARTAME" marketed as 'NutraSweet', 'Equal', and 'Spoonful'. In the keynote address by the EPA, it was Announced that in the United States in 2001 there is an epidemic of multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus, that it was hard to understand what toxin was causing this to be rampant. I stood up and said that I was there to lecture on exactly that subject. I will explain why Aspartame is so dangerous: When the temperature of this sweetener exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in ASPARTAME converts to Eformaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants.) The methanol toxicity mimics among other conditions multiple sclerosis. People were being diagnosed with having multiple sclerosis in error.

The multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, where methanol toxicity is! Systemic lupus has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. The victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. He or she continues its use, aggravating the lupus to such a degree that it may become life threatening. We have seen patients with systemic lupus become asymptomatic once taken off diet sodas. In the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We've seen many cases where vision returned and hearing improved markedly. This also applies to cases of tinnitus. During a lecture I said "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) And you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss-you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!"

People were jumping up during the lecture saying, "I've got some of these symptoms: Is it reversible?"Yes! Not drinking diet sodas and keeping an eye out for aspartame on food labels, yes! We have a very serious problem.

A stranger came up to Dr. Espisto (one of my speakers) and me and said: "Could you tell me why so many people seem to be coming down with MS?" During a visit to a hospice, a nurse said that six of her friends, who were heavy Diet Coke addicts, had all been diagnosed with MS. This is beyond coincidence! Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi etc. IS NOT A DIET PRODUCT! The Congressional Record states that it makes you crave carbohydrates and will make you FAT. The formaldehyde stores in the fat cells, particularly in the hips and thighs. Once off these products with no significant increase in exercise, etc., Dr. Roberts in his lecture stated that he had patient who lost an average of 19 pounds over a trial period. Aspartame is especially dangerous for diabetics. We found that physicians would believe that they have a patient with retinopathy, when in fact the symptoms are caused by aspartame. The aspartame drives the blood sugar out of control. Thus diabetics may suffer acute memory loss due to the fact that aspartic acid and phenylalanine are neurotoxic without the other amino acids found in protein. Thus it passes the blood brain barrier and deteriorates the neurons of the brain, causing in diabetics(as well as in patients not suffering from diabetes) various kinds of brain damage, seizures, depression, manic depression, panic attacks, rage, violence. (The Aspartame in thousands of pallets of diet Coke and diet Pepsi consumed by men and women fighting in the Gulf War, may be partially to blame for the well-known Gulf War Syndrome.) Dr. Roberts warns that it can cause birth defects i.e. > mental ******ation if taken at the time of conception and early pregnancy.

Children are especially at risk for neurological disorders and should NOT be given NutraSweet. I can relate different case histories of children having mal seizures and other disturbances being on NutraSweet. Unfortunately it is not always easy to convince a mother that aspartame is to blame for her child's illness. Only by trial and success will she be able to warn other mothers to take their children's health in their own hands. Stevia, a sweet herb, NOT A MANUFACTURED ADDITIVE, which helps in the metabolism of sugar (which would be ideal for diabetics) has now been approved as a dietary supplement by the FDA. For years the FDA has outlawed this sweet food because of their loyalty to MONSANTO. Books on this subject are available: EXCITOTOXINS: THE TASTE THAT KILLS - written by Dr. Russell Blayblock (Health Press 1-800-643-2665) and DEFENSE AGAINST ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE written by DR H. J. Roberts, also a diabetic specialist. These two doctors will be posting a position paper with some case histories on the deadly effects of Aspartame on the Internet.

According to the Conference of the American College of Physicians "we are talking about a plague of neurological diseases caused by this deadly poison." Here is the problem: There were Congressional Hearings when aspartame was included in 100 different products. Since this initial hearing, there have been two subsequent hearings, but to no avail. Nothing has been done. The drug and chemical lobbies have very deep pockets Now there are over 5,000 products containing this chemical, and the PATENT HAS EXPIRED!!!!!

I assure you, MONSANTO, the creator of Aspartame knows how deadly it is. They fund among others, the American Diabetes Association, the American Dietetic Association, the Conference of the American College of Physicians. This has been exposed in the New York Times- to no avail. These Associations cannot criticize any additives or convey their link to MONSANTO because they take money from the food industry and have to endorse their products. Senator Howard Hetzenbaum wrote a bill that would have warned all infants, pregnant mothers and children of the dangers of aspartame. The bill would have also instituted independent studies on the problems existing in the population (seizures, changes in brain chemistry, changes neurological and behavioral; symptoms). It was killed by the powerful drug and chemical lobbies, letting loose the hounds of disease and death on an unsuspecting public.
> Here are some links to websites:<http://www.nancymarkle.com/>
<http://www.ethicalinvesting.com/monsanto/markle.shtml>
<http://www.aspartametruth.com/>

Everyone else - please have a beautiful and healthy day!

redtrisha 09-19-2004 06:26 PM

That was a great posting Sam and the scary part is everything we eat to try and lose weight has sweetner in it that is so scary.I am glad to hear that your sister is doing well and I am really going to watch now.I use splenda and yes Laura I do crave sweets but am going to stick to fruit and honey from now on.Looks like we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.It is a new week and we all had some challenges this weekend but tommorow is another day and we can stay strong and do this my goal for this week is to track my food and journal and I am going to stick to that.
Talk to you tommorow Trisha

Merrick 09-19-2004 07:58 PM

Good evening to all.....

:wave:

Let me start my stating that I had a terrible experience with artificial sweetners. About 15 years ago, I was on WW and lost 30lbs. Well everything I ate was "no Sugar", Diet everything. After 1 of eating this way I starting feeling funny, then after another 4 months I experienced a compound siezer, while playing a video game. I consulted with the top epileptic neurologist in the country. He put me on a heavy med and did all kinds of tests, brain scan, sleep/wake scans and a ton more.... nothing. He then began to evaluate my diet and my stress levels. He felt in his professional opinion that it was the artificial sweenters, they have been noted to cause seizers in other studies. I would not recommend using splenda, actually I would ask you to please limit extremely or completely eliminate from your diet. If it is not natural, then it is not good for you no matter how low cal.

Laura Lynn I have also heard that the more "diet" stuff one eats the more they want. I care about you and would not want to see you or anyone go through what I ended up having to go through for almost five years.
I am sorry to hear about the gain. However, I am with you all the way I am doing the same thing. I keep asking myself why???? I never get a response. I wake up everyday and say, today is the day... I am really going to stick to it today. Well you know the outcome. We are all here for you. I know exactly how you feel. Please do not give up or beat up yourself. It will come. I am going to try to plan, plan, plan, plan..... :dizzy:

Sam and Trisha I am so glad that you had a good time. I agree, you cannot feel bad about having a good time. It is not like you doing it everyday. :D
Hey where is that thread you guys were talking about???? I could use some motivation or kick in the a_ _ :kickcan: :dunno:

On a positive note, I have been walking a mile aday and I did my resistance bands 2X this week. Next I will change my eating. :smug:

I look forward to tomorrow when I get to write and read with you all again.
PS Laura Lynn hang in there you are a wonderful person and a smart, smart women. :)

Samantha2002 09-19-2004 08:11 PM

First of all, allow me to clear something up - that wasn't MY sister, I just found that article and wanted to show it to you.
Click on this link to read that thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46773

Merrick 09-19-2004 08:14 PM

Thank you Sam,

Samantha2002 09-19-2004 08:22 PM

Sure thing - let me know what you think!!!

redtrisha 09-20-2004 04:27 AM

OK LADIES NEW DAY NEW START
Forget about last week and now we are moving on to a great day.Take one step at a time and when you go to put somthing in your mouth that dosen't belong think about your goals instead.We can do this .Have a great day and talk to you tonight
Trisha

Merrick 09-20-2004 07:29 AM

Sam thanks for the thread lead. that was so awesome, I keep thinking about it. It is so true. I felt like she was reaching inside of my brain and pulled out my thoughts and put them before me to read. How many days have any of felt that way. For so long I felt so different. No one in my family is fat. Therefore, they do not know my pain. I have fought the battle of weight my whole life. I know I am an emotional eater, I know I deat to stop feeling, I know emotional stress causes me to eat. I know why and how I eat, but I keep on eating and then I feel awful, hate myself, embarressed to be me. None of my friends are as fat as me. I feel like my words were put before me and I am a visual person. I And I am hoping that seeing these words in front of me and keeping repeating them in my mind it will stick with me. Thanks again.

Trisha I agree.

Laura Lynn I know you stated you are feeling a little down and unmotivated. I do not know if reading the thread that Sam was talking about and posted would help, but maybe you should take a glimmer at it. I can't believe how it has stuck with me. I am actually thinking about printing it and reading it everyday. Just a thought. Smile today, and do the best that you can at that moment. don't look ahead and definately do not look back. You are in my prayers today.... smile

Samantha2002 09-20-2004 10:37 AM

OK guys, I have had a tough morning. My husband called me from work and asked me to bring him breakfast from Burger King. mmmmmmm I wanted some so bad!!!! So, I pulled through that & decided to go to the grocery store to get food for the house (which I already know is not a good idea to go when you are hungry!!) I walk in and it smelled like cinnamon rolls....mmmmmmmmm I wanted some of that, too. Instead I bought some fruit, skim milk, a few frozen dinners for the next few days, oatmeal, and yogurt. Oh, and some fat free cottage cheese. SOOO I have done well, but I can't go to the park to walk because it is raining!!! I guess I can do that pilates video again, but that is so HARD!!! :( Oh well, I will be alright.

Anyways, I really think that thread is definitely worth printing out and reading on a daily basis. I read through the link almost everyday and, like you, I really feel like they were talking to me!! I can relate to everything on there, and sometimes it takes "tough love" to get you motivated!!!

You ladies have a great day!!

sunflowermama 09-20-2004 12:43 PM

Hi everyone...the weekend went by way too fast. My son's ballgame....we lost....actually they kind of walked all over us....but oh well. And when I say small town......the population is maybe 250. Yesterday was the church picnic...I worked dishing out ham and chicken...yummmm...but of course I didn't have time to eat which is a good thing...because I could consume a whole plate of chicken. My hubby weighed me in this morning...the scale read 205. I think this first month, back on my diet will be easy and those pounds fall off easier, because they just found there way back. I'm cleaning my house room by room....this is washing everything...sorting...giving away things....and even buying new little things....my hubby says we need to lock our doors...that man keeps bringing boxes here...lol. Wow, I just read that thread sam had posted...how many times have we all felt that way...how many times I wanted to just curl back up in bed and cry. When I first started to lose this weight last year. I had just came back from moving my daughter 2000 miles away...i knew I would see her in 5 months....so I didn't tell her I was dieting and when I picked her up at the airport....she was so happy...so amazed, The thought that went through my head that day was....I could of made the choice to do nothing and I would still be 319....but instead I stopped making excuses and made some wise choices and had succeeded in losing.... That thought was a great motivator....only I have the power to make choices for me....but it had to be me to make that first small step...then the next...no matter what anyone said to me....the hurtful remark from my mom...didn't do it...it was "me" that made that small step...then the next. I do believe we all have that power....its just a matter of us finding it and doing it. We can do it girls

I'm trying to rethink my drinking of diet pepsi...that was a powerful article.. and yes I have noticed the increase of ms diagnoses...even in this rural community....and I've heard of several cases of lupus..

My quote on my calendar for today is: The most important aspect is to be yourself and have confidence in yourself......Triumph can't be had without the struggle.

We will triumph
Mary
sw:319 cw: 205 gw: 150 Mini goal: 199