Old 07-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #27

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am one tired grandma tonight! Beth, Madaline, Amanda, and Ian were here most of the day. Ian kept Grandpa busy outside -- they rode the riding lawn mower and Ian steered, they watered flowers, Ian played with the hose, then they had to play ball which means Grandpa throws the ball and Ian chases it when he doesn't catch it, then he went to peek in the neighbor's patio door to see if anyone was home, we grilled pork loins and he thought he should be helping do that too. When they left after supper, I picked up inside and DH picked up outside -- we both fell asleep when we sat down to read the paper! The phone woke me up and I was glad because I didn't want to sleep very long in order to go to bed earlier tonight. It just reminds that it's good to have kids when you are young and have the energy!

I'm working at the hospital coffee shop tomorrow morning so I should check to see if an outfit needs ironing.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #2  

Morning magnolias.

Jean: I know that when I have T or he comes over, even though he is a little older now, I am pooped when he goes home. As for searching I usually use Yahoo but you can use Google too. I don't know how much to know, so I am going to do the baby step thing. Type in www.yahoo.com and when it comes up type in as much of a description as possible. For instance, if you are looking for this sewing machine type, I would put in mini sewing machine, or lightweight sewing machine, inexpensive sewing machines, etc. The more information you give the closer you will get to an answer.

Maggie: I agree with Jean, you could make a whole business out of what you do as a hobbie. I got into making gift baskets that way. I used to make them for people's birthdays at the law firm then one of the lawyers asked me to make one for someone and there you go. I had to buy retail stuff so I didn't really make much money, but my baskets were unique to the individual getting it. For example, one basket I made for an attoney for her birthday and she was a University of Michigan graduate and fan. I made the bow on the basket the Michingan colors so she could use the basket in her bathroom, which was all done in U of M. I also made these cool glass containers. I would buy an inexpensive clear candy dish or whatever and use what is called a reversible glue and glue napkins inside the container. When it dries it is hard and water proof. I did this for the U of M attorney too for potpourri in here bathroom.

Well, I should shower as I came back from doing my workout at the pool and the clorine is always itching me.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon Flowers!
It is a warm and humid day in my corner of the world with tomorrow being more so, according to the weatherman. I'm glad the air conditioner is working!

I've just returned from my tour of duty at the hospital coffee shop. It is new and they have added smoothies, lattes, etc., to the menu. All of the "drinkers" this morning wanted just plain coffee . . . "none of that fancy stuff for them!" The healthy items such as fruit, yogurt, and a veggie tray haven't sold so they are being taken off the menu. The donuts, rolls, and cookies did sell well! However, all I had was a tall glass of ice water.

"Gma" -- I pretty much search the internet in the same way. I thought maybe there was more to it that I should know! Your gift baskets sound like a nice idea . . . do you still make them?

I don't know anything else newsy and I do need to get to my sorting and pitching. I really feel like taking a nap though!

Have a good "rest of the day," Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Arrow Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am disappointed. Finally found a watch that would fit perfectly into the space allowed on the tower of the courthouse I am building and it is plastic of all things. I need metal so I can solder it into place. It was a 6 dollar watch from Wal-Mart and one here in town that would work is $45 and I won't pay that because it would make the building cost to much. Off to another town on a quest.

FAYE those baskets sound so neat. That would certainly be a good business to get into like to hitch up with a florest maybe or a specialty shop. I love things of that sort for gift giving and to have myself. I made some up one year for Christmas presents from gormet foods from Cost Plus. I do remember how jazzed folks were to receive them.

JEAN are you now a Pink Lady? That is what they call them out here because they wear a cute pink uniform. They are so nice to have at the hospitals. I love those ladies.

I am off now on a quest to find a watch. Type at you later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I'm waiting for the dryer to finish doing it's thing on a load of towels so will chat with you for a few minutes. I got a haircut this morning and now I feel like a skin head -- we get to visiting and I think she forgets she is just supposed to trim the ends! It's a good thing hair grows back!

Maggie -- That's too bad about the watch -- I hope you find one that will work. I used to see "pink ladies" at the hospital but haven't in a long time. I kind of like that idea because you can easily spot them from a distance and know that they can steer you in the right direction if you get lost. Now everyone has an ID tag on and in the coffee shop we wear those apron type cover-ups that tie under your arm. One size fits all which is good!

I have WW later today and I have my fingers crossed that I will at least maintain. We have walked this week but the last couple of days have been munchy ones for me. The celery and carrots just aren't doing the trick either. I haven't bought any chips but did eat popcorn during the news last night.

I hope you all are having a good day today!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #6  

Maggie: I loved makng the baskets and part of the fun was making something to specifically fit the person. I made this one for one of the lawyers to give to a friend for her birthday and she was a cook so I made a whole basket Italian because her kitchen was red and white. I glued the bows on the baskets instead of wiring them on to make them permanent. Have you thought about looking at yard sales for metal watches or goodwill or something like that to keep down the cost?

Jean: I have thought over and over about doing charity work but it would be expensive for us as I would have to keep the car everyday. I thought about doing meals on wheels even at one time. It had to be something where I don't have to stand for a long time with the knee the way it is right now.

I have had an allergy headache since 4:30 this morning and boy it seems to just be getting worse. I think I am going to just go take my books back to the library when Jack gets home and pick up some sort of takeout for dinner. I was going to make meatloaf, baked beans and scalloped potatoes, but it is just not going to happen tonight.

Have a good afternoon ladies.

Faye
Old 07-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Arrow Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. I did find a watch that works and soldered it in permanently. It was a tad to big to make the excape method I though up so the battery could be changed but this one will just keep on ticking till it stops and then it stays that way. Next one I can cut the glass a bit different to allow for the watch to be taken out. I have thought of a way to do it next time. FAYE that is a good idea about going to Goodwill! I love the sound of what you were planning on making. YUM ~ I have had to many yummy things these past couple of weeks and just know I will show a hefty gain tomorrow. Where ~ O ~ where has my motivation gone. I need the action, I need the motion, I need the motivation.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #8  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am on my way to bed! We spent the day at MIL's entertaining Ian. He is one busy little guy -- loves the boat, loves the water, and it's go, go, go! We finally did go for a second boat ride just so he would take a nap . . . works like a charm every time! We could tell he is missing his dad because he attached himself to DH the whole time we were together. It has been a HOT and HUMID day -- I'm thankful the air conditioner is humming away tonight.

I'm doing a happy ! I showed a loss of 1.8# last night at WW. I was pleasantly surprised and I'm sure it is the walking that has helped. We didn't walk tonight -- too hot and too tired!

Tomorrow I am going to a stroke screening clinic. DH went in the spring but I couldn't get in. Hopefully, they won't find anything wrong.

"Gma" -- I think I would enjoy a regular schedule of volunteer work. I know our church is always looking for home visit volunteers but most of the older members prefer having the ministers do that. I have done the Meals on Wheels and so many of the people want to visit because that is the only contact they have with a live person. I always feel guilty because I have to cut the conversation short in order to keep on schedule. Our high school service group does that during the school year and some of the kids continue during the summer months.

Maggie -- I'm glad you found a watch that will work! It will be interesting to see how long it takes before time stands still.

I'm heading for bed! Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-21-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:20 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Default Weigh Day Report

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been a hot one here today. As I type at 7:15 pm it is 90 degrees and holding. I feel sorry for Cowboy out there in this heat umping a game. This is the last of the season though.

The Iron Monster certainly smiled on me this day. All of my ing out for the last two weeks only got me a one pound gain. Now for that I am so pleased. I hope this week will be an on track one. I have promised myself to drink my water, track what I eat and do some walking.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers!
The temperature has dropped 15 degrees since late this afternoon and it is so nice outside. We just got back from a walk. I can tell it is getting darker earlier again. I did the stroke screening the morning and all of my arteries are fine; another thing to check off my list for the summer. Next week is my mammogram and bone density test, then lab work in August, and I'm done for another year.

Maggie -- You can get yourself going in the right direction, I know you can! I don't know why this whole process has to be so darned challenging (hard is maybe a better word)!

I'm off to watch the news and head for bed. Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:53 AM   #11  

Morning ladies. I am up with some body aches and took some advil so instead of trying to be comfortable in bed, I am waiting until they kick in to go back to bed.

Maggie: You are doing fine, we all go through pig out periods. I am sure you will be back up to speed. I have yoyo'd the same 10 lbs or so for a year now and have to get serious again like I was in the beginning. I will do fabo for about 2-3 weeks than lousy for a week than good etc and about that time we take a trip somewhere and I eat awful and put back on my losses. Thank goodness I exercise like a demon everyday! I do have definite body changes even without the weight loss from the exercising.

DH and I went out to the pool last night for awhile and that was nice. Nothing earth shattering just to cool off. Jack had worked in a building with no ventilation all day so was pretty wrung out when he got home as it was 95 here yesterday. I had dinner ready so we ate and went over to the pool after I cleaned up. There were a lot of kids in the pool with their pool junk (which of course they aren't supposed to have in there and probably don't even live here) but he just needed someplace to cool off and relax and that did it for him.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, the insurance company for the restaurant denied responsibility so we are dropping the lawsuit. I can't get any medical care for the two injuries as long as they either won't pay my insurer or my insurer won't pay because I have this going on and we talked about it and thought it best to drop it so we can see what if anything can be done for my arm and knee. It really angers me that these retail establishments won't take responsibility for accidents, but then the whole world is full of people who want to cheat someone so I guess I can understand their caution. All I wanted was my bills paid so I could get treatment! I should probably get the paperwork today and who knows how much my legal fees will be for this.

Have a great day!

Faye
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It is a cool 66° and sunny in my corner of the world. That is almost too much of a change from what we've had the past week. It actually seems *cold* and I sure hate to say that but 30+° does make alot of difference.

I am meeting another teacher for lunch and then have to take "Mom" to the vet. She is back to pulling her fur out and she has lost quite a bit of weight. DH says she looks like a football with legs but not any more. I feel guilty that I didn't realize she was losing so much weight until I watched her walk across the room last night. She's 13+ so I hope whatever it is is fixable. I suppose they might do bloodwork as I have to leave her for an hour. She will not be a happy camper! I hate taking her because she gets nervous and pees all over.

"Gma" -- That's too bad that the restaurant won't pay at least part of your medical bills. I tripped over a box at the grocery store years ago and the manager happened to be in the same aisle. He rushed to see if I was ok and if I thought I had sprained anything; he even suggested I go have xrays. I was fine and it was my own clutziness -- mainly not watching where I was going. I think I could drop dead at Wal Mart and they would just step over me! I hope that you can get some help for your arm and knee -- therapy if nothing else.

I need to put a load of laundry in. DH is doing hog chores twice a day and he goes through the underwear fast!

Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-24-2004, 02:15 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday Morning

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is going to be another hot one today. California is in it's 5th year of draught and suffering early. The fires are the ones that usually come in October like clockwork along with the Santa Ana winds. It is going to be a long hard summer here for the firemen. They get home and rest to go out again and battle the blazes. The powers that be are thinking of closing down some of the forests down south or maybe restrict camp cooking to stoves only and no open fire pits.

This is going to be an OP week for me. I am going to do it. So far so good. Got through Thursday and Firday so far.

Finished my courthouse. It really looks good for all my troubles with it. Since I didn't have a "professional" pattern for it I had to do my own from postcards. Then make some adjustments along the way which made it take much longer to make. I would have to put a hefty price on it to get back what I put into it for a profit so I will put it in the village for the fair exibit then maybe afterwards donate it to the Museum here. The State is saying they have to build a new courthouse and use the old one as a Museum. Then I could have the bragging rights to say I had a piece of my work in the Museum. Life is good. Also to enter my stained glass in the fair I will be establishing a completely new category. It has to be all set up on the 21st of August and that is a day when we have two weddings to do. Gonna be a busy day for sure that Saturday.

JEAN how did your luncheon turn out? It is fun to get with co-workers in the "off season" isn't it. How is "MOM" doing? She is getting up there in years for a cat. They say (those expert type folks) that an inside cat can live up to 17 years and an outside one to 2 years ~ depending on the locality I am sure.

FAYE that is good that you have made the decision to get some medical help. What those big companies do is ~ out last you. There are so many "frivilous" law-suits nowdays that companies have been forced to become hard nosed about it. The big guys have the money to outlast us little folks out here. It may not be right but it is the way it is. I hope you get your body back to exact soon. Those kids in the pool remind me of the ones that use our yard as a playground. The lower flat section down the hill calls to them and "invites" them to play a game of baseball or do slip and slide ~ that water thingie. There is a fence around the property but there isn't a gate down there. Sometimes when they get too loud we do have to quieten them down but for the most part they play nicely. None of them have a yard big enough all get together and play a game of ball. They see our open space and it draws them like a magnet.

Have a nice weekend folks and stay cool.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:54 AM   #14  

Good Sunday Morning ladies!

Jean: I hope your cat has nothing serious, but you know when we get up in years everything pretty much falls apart so I am sure it is the same with animals! Hope you had fun at your lunch with you friend.

Maggie: I remember living in San Diego and dread hot dry summers with the Santa Ana winds because we lived in mountain area with lots of brush and what have you that always seemed to go up by itself .

We didn't do much yesterday. I went to the pool, fixed breakfast, watched a couple movies (Paycheck and Mystic River) then took them to the post office and mailed them back and went to the library and got new books. It is way too hot to do much outside so my deck sits not finished, but we don't have a lot of company so it is not a big problem to me. I am having the worst problem with the cat and dog. I was told they shouldn't eat each others food, but I can't get them to consistently eat their own. Since Fortune was here first, he has the routine we set up for him, which was just to put food out in the morning and he would eat whenever he felt like it so that is what we did with the cat, but they eat each olther's food. I was just buying cat food (they both eat IAMs dry food) and then the next month dog food but was told the opposite food is bad for them so I don't know what to do.

Have a great weekend

Faye
Old 07-25-2004, 05:38 PM   #15  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
We just got back from a walk around our little section of the world -- it measures out to be about a mile on the car. It's a beautiful day -- 78° and sunny with big poofy white clouds scattered in the sky. We are spending a lazy day and didn't travel to MIL's. DH is doing hog chores and playing midwife to some cranky sows -- he has to give the shots to the sows after so many hours of giving birth. I'm not sure what that is for but they don't like it.

Yesterday afternoon we met some friends for supper and then went to a '50s dance in a little burg just over the river in Nebraska. The music was great and the crowd was all around our age. I enjoy watching the couples dance and we even danced to a few of the slower tunes. I was a little nervous about my toe getting stepped on but I managed to keep it out of harm's way. It was close to 1 AM when we got back home again and both of us were dragging this morning.

Maggie -- I had a nice lunch with my friend and neither one of us is ready to think about going back to school. When I got home a "welcome back" letter was in the mail from the superintendent. Our workshop days start on the 17th and students come back on the 23rd. We haven't started on a Monday for several years and I am NOT looking forward to it. I'll bet your village will be a #1 attraction at the fair! "Mom" came to us pregnant and we've had her 13 years so I'm assuming she is 14ish. The ratty looking outside "Mom" has been with us through 5 winters and I think she's had 6 litters of kittens that we know about. We never see any of the fall kittens so I don't know if they don't survive or what happens to them. I was a bit preturbed about our visit to the vet. When I had her in in May, he suggested a steroid shot if she didn't quit pulling her fur out. It more or less stopped so I never took her back in again. When I called on the phone the receptionist said that they would probably do a blood workup on her. When we get there, there is a substitute vet -- Mom did her usual pee job in the carrier so we had to wipe her paws off -- her hisser worked good. The vet took her temp. and it was normal, asked if anything out of the ordinary was going on at home that would cause her stress, and poked around on her sides and stomach. Her thought was that she is getting older and just not eating as much. She said to try a prescription canned cat food and see if that helped any. Mom took one sniff of it and looked at me as if to say, "I'm not eating that stuff!" She acts fine, really likes to eat the outside cats' dry food, follows the sun from window to window, and sleeps on the bed like she always does. $40 later and I have 3 cans of "special" food that is going back for a refund!

"Gma" -- The vet suggested putting "Mom" and her food in a room by herself so that Leonard wouldn't eat it. Leonard won't eat dry food and Maggie won't eat canned food but "Mom" will eat both. I've never seen her eat a huge amount at one time so we always have dry food and water sitting out. We've never had a dog but have been told they will eat whatever is in the bowl until it is gone while a cat likes to graze. Good luck! I can remember having outside dogs as a kid and they ate table scraps. Maybe the pet food makers put different ingredients in for different animals.

I need to get busy and fold some towels and do another load of laundry. I want all of the "good" stuff done when it is time to do pig clothes.

Have a good "rest of the day!" I think I am #14 to post.

Jean -- from Iowa!