Old 06-01-2004, 02:34 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Arrow ♥ Steel Magnolias #21 ♥

♥GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS♥

It has been quite warm here today - in the 90's. I do believe I will have the air on tomorrow. I don't do well in the heat.

JEAN I can imagine you are so glad to be out of school soon. Good thing there are comfy chairs to sit in if you had to wait that long. Also glad she arrived safely and I am sure she will have a wonderful time at the cabin. I'll e-mail you that recipe tormoorw.

Gonna be a hot one again tomorrow ~ and the rest of the week also.

Type at ya later. ♪♪
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #2  

Morning ladies. I go to the regular dr this morning to get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon to see if I am going to need surgery. I doubt it though I hope at least they can help me to feel better. My arm is giving me fits and I hate this darn sling! I am using a walker with a base attached for my arm and it is all such a pain in the neck. I can't stand not being able to do what I normally do.

Maggie: We have warm weather here too and Sunday night had tornado sirens going off for several hours, most likely the storms that hit Jean's area. It was nice yesterday and supposed to be nice today again.

Jean: Thanks for thinking of me. I just get so frustrated not being able to have my regular routine and it is so BORING!

Gloria: Nice to hear from you again and hope the back problem gets fixed. I am going to have a dilemna today as I have not been able to put my bra on by myself and Jack had to go to work so it is either go saggy or get my dd to help get me into the thing! I talked to my older sister last night and she said go without!

Well, I can only do this so long and it hurts my hand so better go

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Arrow June 1 ♪

June already! GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ♪♥

I do have the cooler on today and it is much more pleasant. I rather prefer to have the wondows open and the breeze coming in ruffeling the curtains but when the breeze is I like the cooler on. What is neat in the evenings when it does cool down we go on top down drives about the country. We have been having fun getting things fixed up on our MH. It will be like new when we get it all done.

F♥ye I do hope you don't have to have surgery. Please let us know. I totally understand your frustration in not being able to do the things you were used to doing. Being constrained is not a pleasant experience. Also I will pray that you don't have any permanent damage. Take care and do keep us posted.

M♥ggie ~ out west trying to stay cool.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #4  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been another windy and rainy day in my corner of the world. I spent the morning packing away the rest of the classroom for the summer and babysitting two yahoos who owed detention time and and many missing assignments for various teachers. They both refused to do any work and thought they could sleep away the morning. I finally told them that I would have them standing if they didn't keep their eyeballs open. They weren't very happy with me and my comment to them was, "oh well!" I wanted to give them the lecture to end all lectures but I'm sure they've heard it many times and would just tune me out so I kept my opinions to myself. Tomorrow is a district retirement coffee at 8 AM, back to the school to finish up any paperwork, a pot luck lunch for our high school retirees, and then the end of the year bash at night. If the weather doesn't shape up we may skip that one. The teacher who hosts it is the one who has taken 6 of my outside orphans over the years so I like to see them.

Maggie -- It has been so cold here, I don't think I can remember 90 degree weather. Where did you find the cute little hearts? DH had to make a quick trip back to his mom's this afternoon. The cleaning people slid one of the sliding glass doors all the way open and couldn't get it to close. I'm glad he was here to do it because they are very heavy -- I'm surprised they could get it open all the way. Thanks for the recipe!

"Gma" -- One never appreciates being able to use all their appendages until something doesn't work quite right. I hope that you will be moving faster and with less pain as the days go by. Hopefully you won't need surgery! Did you slip on water or a step to cause you to fall?

I'm going to catch the news and head for bed. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers. It's hard to believe that it is June!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow ♥good Evening♥

JE♥N here is how to get the ♥'s or other things like ♪♪♀.

On your computer ~ and you can do that right now while you are reading this:
Go to:
START
ALL PROGRAMS
ACCESSORIES
SYSTEM TOOLS
CHARACTER MAP
Scroll down to the characters you want:
CLICK ON THE CHARACTER
SELECT
COPY
Then paste it where you want it. ♥

All of the characters don't work for they come out as ☼'s.

Girlfriend 90 degree weather will hit your state with a vengence with high humidity so enjoy the cooler days you are having. I am so thankful our humidity is low here.

M♥GGIE out west where it is 77 degrees at 10:30 pm and the gas is $2.39 a gallon for regular.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #6  

The doctor appt went pretty good. I am now waiting for the paperwork for the mri but may not have any damage to my leg so keep your fingers crossed. The good news is they re x-rayed my arm and looks like it is not fractured so I am getting to leave the sling off now and I am using my leg too without the walker so I am glad about that. The bad thing is all of this stress on my body spiked my blood pressure so now they have me on meds for that, which is ok, but hope I don't have to do that very long before it is back to normal.

I am getting into the pool everyday and even got a little sunburned yesterday because I went out in the afternoon instead of first thing in the morning. I am going to build myself back up to normal. The dr said the pool was great but NO walking for several weeks.

Jean: Just what are you going to do with all that time once school is out? Oh, and I just slipped on the tile floor we didn't see anything like water or food or anything. Just a freak accident. I just hope the restaurant's insurance company comes across with money to reimburse us for med bills etc., and then I can be done with it all (though like my son says, probably don't want to go back to that restaurant! )

Maggie: Our gas is $1.95 but seems to go up about 10 cents a gallon everytime it makes a leap. We are going to Indiana for the 4th so it should cost us about twice what it normally does in gas to go.

Well, I have to try and get the house cleaned and it may take awhile as I am still pretty sore in my arm and the other hand where the emt infiltrated my iv and it is horribly bruised.

Faye
Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 AM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers!
After three food fests today, I am sick of food! I have some left over pasta salad but that doesn't even sound good tonight. . .maybe tomorrow. Tonight one of the gals made a watermelon salsa and that was different but good.

The wind has finally died down and it was a nice evening to sit outside by the bonfire. We had rain about 4:00 this afternoon so I was a bit worried but the sun came out and all went well.

Would you believe I found another stitch in between my toes? The swelling had gone down some since the school nurse took the stitch out a week ago but by the end of the day my foot would still be puffy. I happened to have my contacts in and I can get my toes far enough apart to see for myself and there it was, cut but not pulled through. So I soaked my foot and then pulled it out myself! I even wore my tennis shoes all day today for the first time in 7 weeks!

Maggie -- Thanks for the ♥ tip! Our gas is still hanging at $1.98 for super unleaded and $2.01 for unleaded. They don't even advertise regular gas out here. On the news tonight it said the gas prices would be coming down again; I hope so! I can remember when gas, cigarettes, and a loaf of bread were all 25¢ ! Does that date me or what?

"Gma" -- I hope you continue to heal and feel better. I'm sure the pool will help do that. Just don't overdo . . . the housework can wait! I am going to do some deep cleaning this summer, hopefully get two bedrooms painted, deliver more of the kids' stuff to them, and pick out bedroom carpet and some sort of floor covering for the entry, livingroom, and TV area. We are leaning toward the wood look but haven't decided for sure. It's sure easy to clean up after the cats on painted plywood which is what is in the livingroom right now! The weekends will be spent with MIL and grandkids . . . on the road most likely.

I am heading for bed! Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 AM   #8  

Morning ladies!

Jean: Overdo is the main word in my vocabulary I think! I did get the house done in intervals, resting between jobs and the pool is very very nice to the ole bod.

Jack and I are going out on a date tomorrow night, dinner and a movie. We may be 50ish, but got hooked on the Harry Potter stuff so are going to a late movie hoping parents keep their little monsters home that late. Doubtful though! It opens tomorrow so I am sure every kid in town is going to want to see it, but us old foggies have been looking forward to it too! The end of the month we are taking dgs out to lunch and to see the new Garfield movie for his birthday, which should be interesting. Jack loves Garfield so I will have 2 kids with me.

My arm was painful last night and a case of the hiccups gave me heartburn so I took meds and went to bed and crashed about 7:30 so am up and at 'em early this morning. It is errand day anyway, but I cannot go to the commissary and do grocery shopping by myself for probably another month or so because I can't carry the groceries and laundry soap and cat litter, a case of water (we have filtered water in the fridge but dh takes bottled water to work) and canned goods are too heavy for me to haul in. With the hot weather I don't like to leave even non perishables in the trunk.

Have a good day girls!

Faye
Old 06-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood -- sunny, 74 degrees, and no wind for a change! I took a nap this afternoon and it felt so good. I guess I didn't realize how tired I was as I sat down to watch Dr. Phil and slept right through the whole program.

I went to the doctor today and he is positive that there are no more stitches to come out. I hope he is right! I tried to wear a different shoe but my tennis shoes are the only ones that will go on. We have a wedding on the 12th and I hope I can wear a dressier shoe by then; otherwise I may have to shop for a new pair of sandals.

"Gma" -- Your date with Jack sounds like fun! I'm not sure I could stay awake for the late movie. Have a great time!

I need to think about something for supper -- leftover salad from yesterday, I think. DH is mowing so I'd better get moving. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Friday Evening

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is just after 5:30 here and it is still warm ~ 87 degrees to be exact. Anyway I thought I would take a bit of a break and post even though I don't have much to say. We are having dinner guests at 6:30 and I have the meal well in hand. Well actually in the oven not in my hand.

FAYE I hope this day is easier on you. Time heals and it may take a few days but you will get better each day. {{{{HUG}}}}

JEAN I bet that swelling will go down before the wedding and you can wear appropriate shoes. I can just see you in a long dress with your tennie runners peeking out from under.

Have a lovely weekend ladies.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I'm on my way to bed shortly but wanted to stop in and say "hello" first. I spent the day doing laundry and chasing fur hunks around with the vacuum. . .there will be more tomorrow I'm sure. We are going to have Miss Madaline tomorrow afternoon and night so I need to be sure there is nothing on the floor because she puts everything in her mouth. That is one stage I will be glad to see pass. It was another beautiful day in my corner of the world -- sunny, 70 degrees, and just a slight breeze. I bought a shiny whirly thing to scare the blackbirds from coming on the deck and it worked for most of the day. One got brave this evening and ventured down but Leonard happened to be sitting by the open door and growled at him so he didn't stay but a second.

Maggie -- I am making your salad to take to MIL's on Sunday. Jason will want to know why it isn't red as he thinks Jell-O only comes in red. I did wear a sandal for part of the day today. We took the boat out for a trial spin before taking it to MIL's -- I took my shoes off in the boat and could tell my foot was swollen when I tried to put it back on. I went barefoot this evening which isn't a good plan either.

I am going to catch the news and head for bed. Have a nice weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #12  
Web Nana

Just have a moment before I need to start the laundry, again!!!! It seems I am always doing laundry....either we are a very dirty couple or a very clean one! Just sat down with my morning and DH is out walking a neighbors dog.
Been a busy weekend...had Kerri here overnight on Friday. A close friend of her parents is terminally ill and they ran a fund raiser for her. She is 44 and just after Christmas was suffering from a terrible headache, drove herself to the ER and was eventually diaganosed with Leukemia. She had bled into her brain and is never going to recover from the coma she is in. They have 2 girls 10 & 8 and I ask you all to pray for her that her death is an easy one.

DH and SIL and their classmates raised $60,000 Friday with a silent auction, live auction and raffle. I guess there are some real deep pockets in among their friends. Sean and another friends son (both 12) dressed in tuxes (donated) were at the door of the hall....opening the doors for all incoming guests. They received $80 in tips and donated them to the fund. I thought that was a great learning experience for them to see how you can be of service to others.

Still waiting for the weather to heat up so we can wash down the furniture for the deck. Don't want to be using the hose in cold weather....besides need the sun to dry them off.

FAYE: Hope you are feeling stronger each day. With the pool open you should be able to do some exercising without further injuring youself.

JEAN: Another school year is over!!!!! I'll bet you are looking forward to some leisure time. Hope your foot continues to heal.

MAGGIE: Your weather sounds delightful. I envy you being able to tool around in your convertible with the top down. The closest I ever came to a convertible was my first car....a 55 Chevy Hardtop Convertible. It was called that because it did not have the middle strut between the front and back windows. When both sets of windows were down it allowed the wind to blow around as if you had the top down...blue and cream with leather seats...did I ever thing I was something. I also loved to ride in my uncle's car...in the rumble seat. Remember those? Or am I that much older than the rest of you.

Gloria in MA....need to get moving.....have a great Sunday everone.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #13  

Surprise! I hope youall are doing well. Things are a tad chaotic in the West Virginia hills........I've finally bitten the bullet and am in the process of a major renovation to my 1929 house. I've knocked the back out 12 feet, which will give me a 12'x16' new kitchen with some honest to God counter space! I"ve been using a dead dishwasher with a chopping block top as my counter space for years, and finally decided I'd had it. I'll now have much counter space and lots of storage space. Beside the kitchen, the new extension will become a master suite, although I don't have to worry about that immediately. Since it was an afterthought, my contractor agreed to do it if he could leave the bathroom redo until this winter in order to keep his workers busy, so of course I agreed. I'm so lucky to have a wonderful contractor! My neighbor has one who has been working by the hour with no contract for 13 weeks!!!!! He slightly enlarged her bathroom, had to do some rewiring, refinished her floors, painted all the woodwork, and papered her kitchen, which looks like ****. You can see "ruffles" and spaces at every seam. I told her I wouldn't pay for it, but he contends it was old paper.......riiiiiiight. My guys are astounded at the lack of work going on over there. I have Arlen's big trailer parked in my front yard, as that's his shop on wheels. I also have a turquoise port-a-potty sitting almost on the sidewalk! It's grand......especially since I"m in the "hysterical" district of downtown Lewisburg. I'm going to put a wreath on it before they remove it and use it as my Christmas card.
Everything from the kitchen is in the dining room or on the side porch. The addition is under roof, so tomorrow they start the demolition and the dust starts to fly for sure. I also lose the use of my washer and dryer:~{ I'm trying to get ready to go to Maine again on Saturday the 12th, and it's a little tough to do without clean clothes. I've had many offers from neighbors and friends, but it'll still be a pain in the neck.
I'm not discussing my disgusting weight. I quit working for WW around the first of the year because I wasn't within 50 lbs of my goal weight. Haven't been back, and I'm sure I've gained it all back. Arthritis has kicked in with a vengeance, but the aquarobics begin a week from tomorrow, so that should get me limbered up. One of the reasons I"m enlarging my bath (or maybe building a new one) is so that I can put in some sort of jacuzzi type bath tub. My saintly contractor says it's less expensive to start from scratch than to try to remodel an existing facility.......hence the new kitchen. The decision making has just about done me in.

I apologize for being so remiss with my correspondence...........I've spent the past year watching a big dog to make sure she wasn't chewing on something. She's like having a 2-3 year old around, but at 14 mos. is finally calming down........praise be! The builders had to remove part of my fence, so she's been going to "doggy day care" at my friend's who has a young Doberman who is a love bug.......they play all day which is great for them both.

I still need to get my sheets out of the dryer and put in the last load.

My best to you all.......Faye and Jean, have you ever tried walking on your hands?:~}

Bubbles
graybubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's another very windy day in my corner of the world -- I knew that four nonwindy days were too good to be true!

We picked up Madaline on Saturday afternoon with the idea that she would go to bed around 8:30 and sleep all night. Yeah right! She woke up at midnight thinking it would be a good idea to stay up for awhile. We rocked and rocked until finally she gave up around 2:30 -- a short night for both of us! Beth called early Sunday morning to say that they both were up all night with food poisoning from McDonald's and sure didn't feel like driving here and then another hour ride to MIL's. So we went ahead and took off making arrangements for Madaline to ride back home, from MIL's, with Jason and his family.

For some unknown reason I got up last night with flu like symptoms. I was so tired from the night before that I've really been dragging today. I finally ate crackers and Jell-O for lunch so guess I will live.

Gloria -- I'm sorry to hear about the terminally ill friend but what a wonderful turnout for the fund raiser! It is so sad to have young children involved. From the looks of the weather map on TV you should be warming up out there! We were supposed to be in the 90s today but I guess the wind blew that on past. I found an "old" sandal that has adjustable straps so that is what I have been wearing. The doctor said it would take time for the swelling to be gone completely but I'm not very patient, I guess.

Bubbles -- How good to see you! When you take on a project, you really take on a project! I wish we were close enough for the grand tour when it is all finished. I know you will enjoy the extra space! Many times, we wished we would have added on another 10 feet out but I don't think we are going to do that now. When everyone is together, it seems rather small with grandchildren in the picture now. I hear ya on the weight . . . I've got to get back to walking again as well as cut back on the food.

DH just walked in the door so guess it must be time to think about supper . . . nothing sounds good to me so maybe I can find some leftovers to feed him.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:47 PM   #15  

Evening ladies! Sorry I have been remiss in posting but it has been a nightmare again since Friday. I went to the dr yesterday and to make a long story short, did not get my cast and didn't have a date for my MRI either. The dr put in a referral request to see an ortho surgeon to cast my arm as they are saying the break is small now (UMMMM, isn't that how all of this started in the first place.) She did put me on another 2 types of bp leaving me sick to my stomach, sleepy and dizzy. I have to stay on them awhile. Part of the issue is they won't listen when I tell them the BP cuff is too small and that is why my bp is horribly high! I have a machine from when Jack had his heart attack so am taking my bp everyday and if it slips too low I will stop the meds and call the dr back. Tonight got a call to remind me of my MRI tomorro morning from the hospital but the dr office never called me to tell me nor send me a letter about it Good thing I can go though who can look forward to being shoved into a round coffin for 45 minutes!

Bubbles: Great to see you lady. Sure have missed you. I have been doing the ole "house" renewal too.

Everyone else have a great evening and I will check in tomorrow after I get back home from the hospital.

Faye