Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:22 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #4

Good morning ladies! Going to be 65 again today then bottom out tonight and we are supposed to get snow! BRRRRR! ICK!

Jean: There is a world of difference between jalapenos and green chiles. Green chiles don't have any heat, just flavor. I love them both. I make a wicked green enchilada casserole that has chicken and the green chiles.

I really miss chili rellenos. I don't like the way they are made nowadays. In New Mexico they would just roast the chile, remove the skin, cut them open and remove the seeds, put a slice of monterey jack cheese or a white mexican cheese inside, roll in corn meal and fry them until the cheese melted. They put meat and stuff in them now, and everybody put egg batter on them. I am a purist and like the other way better. The mexican restaurants here don't even use green chiles, they use poblano peppers which aren't nearly as good.

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe!

I am down 7.5 lbs for the week! Boy that treadmill seems to be doing its work! Jack shampooed carpets upstairs yesterday, but hurt his back so I have to finish one room this morning and then start on the downstairs. The shampooer is so heavy it will be fun to get it down the stairs!

Have a good day girls!

Faye
Old 01-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I am enjoying a day at home because of the weather! For once we got what the weatherman was predicting; at 8 AM the radio said we had 8" of snow but DH said it was more like 10"+! I've been lazy and read the newspaper, watched a bit of TV, and wrote some letters.

Maggie -- In the previous thread you mentioned waking up with a smile today. I did because I knew we were starting off with a two hour late start! They called school off by 7 AM; the wind has picked up and it is not nice outside! It is still snowing too.

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread! Congratulations on the great loss! That is a bunch for one week, that's for sure. It's 17 degrees here right now with a -5 wind chill . . . I'll trade you temperatures! I am not a "good" cook and do not like to cook! Half the stuff in recipes I've never heard of, let alone used. *sigh* I have to read labels carefully when I am looking for new ingredients.

I need to get busy and do some ironing. Have a great day, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-26-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Good Afternoon Magnolias

It has been a real fun day so far and it is just after 4 pm. This morning I had a great smoothie for breakfast made with soy milk, strawberries and banana. YUM and filling. Then for lunch did turkey, dressing, baked sweet potato with nutmeg and a tad of gravy. That was all because Will has a dinner meeting with men only tonight and I can have soup and be a happy camper. We went out for a drive and what a sight to see. The road through the Sierras to Coulterville which is just a town of about 100 and no one was home, was wonderful. Winding and what scenery. Down, down, down there was the river. Can't wait till it gets warm enough to do top down with the car and we will go that way 27 miles and another 30 miles or so to a great place to dine. The curves were such that really made up happy to have "performance tires."

FAYE ~ CONGRATULATIONS for that terrific weight loss. Exercise sure does help with the pounds down doesn't it! You go girl. Your poor hubby with his back ~ been there and done that and believe me it is no picnic. Good thing that you can pick up the slack and finish up the job.

JEAN It is 51 here as I type and I still don't envy your living in the deep freeze if not just the refrigerator. How many snow days have you had so far this year from school? Not many if I recall. Keep smiling.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-26-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:58 PM   #4  

I'm just peeking in before I head to bed.

The snow has finally stopped but the wind is sure blowing it around. We have a two hour late start tomorrow; I'm 99% sure we will have school unless the wind really does a number on the country roads. I still think if the "town" kids can get there, we should have school, like in the olden days!

Maggie -- It sounds like you had a fun day! Thanks for the potato information via email! This is our second "no" school day and we've had one two hour late start day. They don't build snow days into the calendar so we will have to make them up. The first two get tacked on at the end and after that we begin losing "days off" like in President's Day and spring break. The proposed calendar for next year has us starting later but going the first whole week instead of starting on Wed. like we have in the past. Since we finish the semester before Christmas, and some of the semester course teachers WHINED that they don't have enough time, we won't get out for Christmas break until the 23rd and will go back Jan. 3rd. . .too short after our two full weeks this year.

Well, my bed should be preheated and I'm heading that way! Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in snowy Iowa!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Default Nighters

Gotta check in before I go to bed.... JEAN I hope you get to stay home again tomrorrow because you will get so cold at school. Make up days should be in warmer weather.

Time for me to go cut some zzzzzzzzzzz's while it is ing outside. Seems that it does that at night for our benefit and then the sun comes out during the day.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:28 AM   #6  

Well so much for spring weather. It is 24 with a wind chill of about 7 today! I am definitely staying in the house except to get the mail this afternoon and go and exercise when Jack gets home.

Jean: I expect you will probably be off again today. I am sure Iowa is still not in very good shape. I saw where Tulsa Oklahoma got slammed and have some really serious white outs going on. You guys all keep it. We got a couple flurries and that was it.

Maggie: I always loved just driving the pacific coast highway so I am sure back in the mountains it is beautiful. Jack is not much on "scenic" driving, but I love it. Guess it is where you were raised. Not much scenery in the desert of southern New Mexico just miles and miles of sand, sagebrush and tumbleweed! You occasionally would see a road runner, which actually look like the cartoon ones! I have a rodent phobia and they have kangaroo rats there that would seriously freak me out and they have jack rabbits with huge ears, but not any really beautiful scenery at least in that area. He took me to White Sands a couple times and that is an experience. It is like being in a huge snowstorm but with sand instead of snow. You can get lost pretty easy out there so you have to stay to the driving paths or else!

I am still going gangbusters. Lost another lb. Just working really hard towards the wedding. Some of my family haven't seen me in almost 2 years and there is a pretty drastic change since then.

Well, I am going to go back to bed. I have all my chores done. The animals were terribly restless last night so I ended up on the couch and the recliner and you never sleep well in that situation. Besides, my tushy muscles are sore from exercising!

Faye
Old 01-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun has been shining brightly all day long; right now it is 0 with a wind chill of -21! The white snow is "pretty" and everything looks clean again.

We had a 2 hour late start this morning. I am almost surprised that we had school only because it is/was so terribly cold. A few years ago the administration got many complaints about children walking to school in the extreme cold. It wasn't parents complaining, it was senior citizens who were watching them walk by their houses.

Maggie -- The school building was cold in the rooms on the north side as well as the in the halls! It's hard to concentrate when the desks and chairs are cold!

"Gma" -- Let's talk about spring weather -- when I left for school at 9:30 this morning, it was -13 with a wind chill factor of -38, and that is COLD! Your temperature would seem like a heat wave today. Our snow has moved on to the east and supposedly the temperatures are supposed to be warming up towards the end of the week. Congrats on another # that is gone forever!

I need to decide what to thaw out for supper. WW is tonight and I am debating whether or not I want to go back out. I just hate a cold car and it isn't far enough to really get the car warmed up. I'll see what my mood is like in an hour!

Have a wonderful Wednesday and stay warm! (or cool as the case may be!)

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:34 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Wink Good Night

It has been quite a day around here. We went into town and had the oil changed in my Mustang and did a bit of shopping. Got home as it just started to sprinkle and then when it got dark we started getting a gulley washer and it hasn't let up yet. February is the rainey month and this is a nice head start. BTW I don't expect to show a loss this week for I truly did out big time. But to tell the truth I enjoyed every mouthful so I am not going to get upset about it. We ate at Sizzler for noon and then a Chinese place for dinner and that blew the day but like I said ~ it was worth it and life goes on and Life is good.

FAYE I am so very happy for you for you are doing so well with your program and will look terrific at the wedding. You go girl and show off! You deserve it. So Jack is a flatlander at heart and we are mountail folks. That is fine with me for if every one liked the same thing then everyone would try to live there and think of the overpopulation that would be in one area. I ahve been to those white sands and they are beautiful and believe me I do know that NM looks like.

JEAN don't you think that they would let you stay home when they don't heat that school. That seems to me that is not nice working environment. Did you end up cooking or eat out? I am not eating out tomorrow and having a low point day. Got to salvage what I can.

Everyone sleep well. Miss ie is going nite nite now.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #9  

Jean: 38 below wind chill? Good heavens I would just die! We used to get some cold in Indiana but YIKES! It is supposed to be 48 today but I am cold this morning as it is in the 20's and I am in capris and t-shirt.

I went to the gym bright and early (Gosh, people work out early, it was packed!) and I did my first workout with machines and the weights! I only did 10 minutes, 3 machines and 3lbs weights, but I did 25 reps of each with the machines being on 60lbs, which I don't think is bad for a first time. I was amazed I could actually do it!

Maggie: You cracked me up with your piggie comment! I sure love Chinese but stay away from it unless I am making it at home, cause I sure overeat it!
We all have to have our pig out moments from time to time.

I tried on some more "old" clothes and found they fit great now. I am going to buy about 6 outfits to go to Vegas because so much of my stuff, though not falling off of me is BAGGY and looks terrible. I got a magazine called Silhouettes and it has some pretty stuff in it.

Well, Kelly is coming over this morning so I have to scoot!

Faye
Old 01-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #10  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

JEAN Got to admit you have me beat...we are cold but not turning blue yet. It has been in the single numbers for about 4 days and now we are getting snow. They had predicted much more than it seems we will eventually get. The numbers went from 6-12" to 4-6". I won't mind the difference. Did some shopping yesterday and today is a nice stay at home and keep warm day.

MAGGIE A pig out once in a while is necessary to keep our sanity. You will get back on track immediatly, if I know you. I made a pot of chicken soup in my crock pot yesterday and put it in the refrigerator and this AM skimmed off all the accumulated fat. Now have divided it into 3 containers. Lunch! Nice vegs, some chicken and a delicious broth with a piece of Italian bread....nothing better on a cold, cold day.

FAYE You are on a roll, the results of that excersize should prove to all of us that is the way to go. You will be a vision in Vegas. I have forgotten...when is the wedding? By the way, I wouldn't mind some of your 'cold' weather right about now. LOL

Gloria in MA....DH is watching what sounds like a good movie on TV...think I will join him.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is peeking out just as it is time for it to start setting. It has been another bitterly cold day; our high was supposed to be -5 but on the way home the car said it was -4. The weatherbug says it's -2 with -20 wind chill . . . whatever, it is darned cold out there! I am supposed to have bell choir tonight and I keep hoping I will get a phone call canceling it.

Maggie -- Last night we ended up eating at home -- soup and sandwiches. It was too cold to back outside! It isn't that they don't heat the school, it's that the heating system is OLD and needs to be replaced. Windows need to be replaced and weather stripping around outside doors need to be replaced. Today it was better but the wind was from the south rather than the north. Chinese sounds so good! I always eat way too much of that!

"Gma" -- Can you order clothes out of the Silhouettes magazine? That's one I've never heard of. I don't know anything about working out with weights but I'd say you are doing just great!

Gloria -- I don't mind the snow as much as getting the ice first. This time we lucked out and no rain first. The side streets are slippery simply because the town doesn't plow until it stops snowing and people are out driving around in it. How was the movie?

I need to fold some clothes and iron a couple shirts for DH. He is heading for Des Moines on Sunday for a meeting Monday. I told him he couldn't go if there was snow in the forecast!

Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Good Afternoon Magnolias

It rained all night and now it is sunny and bright. The temp as I type is 52 degrees. The coldest weather we have ever been in was when we lived in Minnesota. It was 60 below with the wind chill making it 90 below and THAT is cold folks. Everyone lost electricity so we went down the mountain to a huge sandwich and coffee shop that had a botique shop upstairs. They had a huge fire place downstairs and enough seating for all of us that wanted to chat and play games and keep warm. They had a great generator that made it so they could cook. Good thing too because our electricity was out for days at a time. It just happened to be our favorite place for panini's. That was a small town of 1800 that swelled to 10 thousand in the summer. Folks came from the big city to live in their lake homes. It was a wonderful place to be in the wamer months but we only stayed there a couple of years.

I mentioned that we are planning pulling this carpet out of my crafts room but the room isn't large enough for me to do my exercises in so my plan is to do them in the front room using that TV set to run the Sansone and Richard DVD's on. Anyway we really don't want to yank the carpet out of that room and I don't like doing those indoor walking exercises on carpet. Today Will went down to the office store and ordered me a which will be here tomorrow! You know those plastic things that are put on the carpet so the chairs will roll in offices.... I am getting the largest that they make to put down in the living room and exercise to my hearts content. I have one under my chair in here which isn't as large as he ordered for me so I know it will be enough of an area. I can do my free exercise on it also since I do most of them either sitting or standing. I certainly don't do much now but I will get better.

FAYE you are our exercise Isn't if fun to buy new clothes. I have a bunch of white blouses that are way to large now but I am using them when I do my glass work so I am keeping them. I do need to get some smaller size ones because they are my "uniform." I love white blouses.

GLORIA your chicken soup sounds absolutely wonderful. I love that and it is a rather staple for me. Soup and sand. Love it.

JEAN it is understandable that your place of work is so cold in the winter and hot in the summer since it leaks like a sieve. I don't blame you for staing in to and that is quite a sensible meal to have anyway.

Everyone have a lovely evening.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I am waiting for DH to get home so we can go eat Chinese. Cold or not, we are eating out tonight! I sure don't know how they figure wind chill because there is hardly a breeze today and the weatherbug says it is -4 with a -22 wind chill. I thought the wind had to be blowing!

Tomorrow is a no school day for the students but we all have to be there. I have to attend a training on the computer . . . that ought to be interesting! The powers to be are thinking about investing in a program where we scan material into the computer and it will read it out loud to the student. I don't read to students on a regular basis so I have a feeling it is more for the ESL students than special ed. I'll know more tomorrow.

Maggie -- Tell me again where you lived in MN. We lived in Bemidji for a couple years when I was little. My mom used to talk about how cold it got and that the cars wouldn't shift into gear even though they were inside garages. Do you have a favorite L. Sansone video? I was at WM after school and noticed one on a display rack -- it said something about being for the physically fit so figured that didn't include me. Physically challenged maybe . . . . .

We may have Miss Madaline overnight Friday night. Beth has to work 7 AM to 5 PM while Will is working noon to 9 PM and they are having a babysitter conflict of interest. So I volunteered . We were going over to pick up DH's new suit so offered to bring her back with us and then meet Beth half way after she gets off work on Sat. Hope you all have a relaxing evening and a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from cold, cold Iowa!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Weigh Day Evening

The Iron Monster was kind to me and not let me break my losing streek and showed me a 0.1 loss this day. My mat didn't come in today but they said it will definitely be here tomorrow so I will be able to really get to start my exercise program in ernest.

JEAN we lived in Nisswa which is in the upper part of the state. The Leslie Sandsone DVD's I have are her "Walk Away the Pounds 1 mile easy walk, 2 mile brisk walk on one DVD and on the other is the 3 mile advanced walk. The set came with a lavender stretch band which is used with the exercises.

Hope all is well with everyone in the snowey states. Stay warm and be safe.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-30-2004 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #15  

Good Morning Ladies! It is chilly here, but compared to Jean and GLoria we are bathing suit weather so I am NOT going to complain.

Jean: Do you get to do computer work somewhere other than your old school, like say a nice warm computer room?

Gloria: Sounds like heaven! I like homemade chicken soup, I even like to make homemade noodles if I can keep the darn cat off the table while they are drying. Last time I made chicken and noodles, I kept seeing errant noodles on the floor. Just one at a time, but I knew he had dragged it off! Gross as it is, I was not about to throw out the whole table since it was just Jack and I!

Maggie: Way to go on the loss! I have heard tons of good things about the WATP tapes and nothing bad about them. All you have to do is follow the advice of the title!!

I was so busy yesterday, 60 minutes at the gym, hurried home and changed clothes, shopped at Wally's home and put all that away then out to the commissary, where all the retired people had the same idea as I, shop the day before military payday so it was crowded, but not as bad as it will be today with all the active duty people shopping too! Took all that home and put it away then went and got my nails done, gassed up the car and went and got Jack then we went out to eat.

The Oscar Mayer weinermobile was at the commissary so I got Thomas a weiner whistle and then because I bought 3 Oscar Mayer/Louis Rich products, got a stuffed weinermobile for him that is really cute and entered in a drawing for a great big one.

Well, I was going to try and get out the cat litter before the garbage men came, but I just heard their truck, darn it! Oh well!

Have a great weekend ladies! 2lbs down since Monday, yeah!

Faye
Closed Thread