Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #16  
GmaTo8

Wow! There have been so many posts since I was here yesterday morning that I'll try to do the individual responses next time.

Well, we found a truck and bought it. It's a 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a quad cab and lots of options. It's deep blue and real sharp. Neal really really deserves this - he usually drove crappy cars so I could have the nicer one for me and the kids.

Does anyone watch Dr. Phil's weight challenge shows? I really liked the one today and am going to try to portion my plate the way he suggests. (1/4 protein, 1/4 starch, 1/2 fruit and vegetables.)

To whoever is having snow: I am so jealous!!! I love snow and can barely wait til we get some. Our Indian summer is just about over and colder temps are headed my way, so maybe it won't be long til the flakes fly.

BBL,
Jana
Old 11-04-2003, 10:31 PM   #17  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hi ladies~

Jana, glad you guys found a ram, sounds perfect and so pretty! I did catch Dr. Phil today and I like the idea of dividing the plate. Of course I had already seen this in his book which I finally finished. I have so many things highlighted so I can go back to the things that really hit me. I need to go to the site and check out Teri's recipes.

Kayecee, 83 degrees?! Wow! I am so jealous! Out nice weather is gone I believe. It was a cold 45 today, I think. It felt a lot colder because of the wind. Brrrrrr! I defintiely don't look forward to winter. And YES you do deserve the CONGRATS! Your SIL mother sounds like my SIL mother. The woman has had to have an oxygen tank for the last few years and has emphezyma (sp? I know that is wrong). They thought they were going to lose her for a while there so my brother & SIL moved back to Arkansas, they were in North Carolina. Well, this was 3 years ago and the woman is still on the tank and smoking! Don't ask me how she does it but they have all tried to talk her into quitting because they didn't want her to die.

Marti, I have my grocery list made for my trip to Wal-Mart tomorrow. It is cold and time for some soup-I am dying to try your recipe. Hope your grandma is doing okay.

Angie, hope your sons get to feeling better soon. Sorry to hear of your day at work, bummer. Hope today was a better day for ya. I hope they catch the dummies who broke into your SIL house.

Today has been a cold day for me. On top of it when I got in the car (mini-van, I always say car) the engine light came on, I don't even know what is up with that. Not a good time for the car to be breaking down. I am hoping I can get it in the shop sometime tomorrow and hope nothing serious is wrong. I don't think it can be too serious, if I drove it today and nothing happened. Oh well, we'll see. I need to be getting off this ladies.

Hi, to Natalie, Skew, Kat, Carree, Bandaid, Petra and anyone else I may have missed. Take care ladies.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #18  

Talking One last check in....

Jana- Congrats on the Ram! I know DH will love it. I don't get to watch Dr. Phil. I get home too late. I have been dividing my plate 1/3 protein, 1/3 veggies, 1/3 starch though. I didn't know he advocated dividing your plate. I haven't read his book. Is it good?

Cristi- OMG I can't believe she is still smoking! My SIL's mom had to give it up. Even her DH and sons go outside now to smoke. Hope nothing major is wrong with your mini-van.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #19  

Hello everyone!!!!

Sorry I have been MIA for quite q while. Boy have you all been BUSY, as soon as I have the time and the energy I'll have to read all the posts to catch up.

I have been the complete opposite of OP since I left here. It started getting cold here and I always start feeling blah when it starts getting cold. I don't know if you all remember the problems my DS was having or not, but we finally got that all cleared up, no charges were pressed, thankfully. He came over last week to let us know he is pre- engaged. I finally got to talk to him tonight alone, he says he is sure he really wants to spend the rest of his life with her. She seems like a very nice girl. I just hope he really knows what he's doing and his life turns out the way he wants it to.

I am determined to get back OP, a very close friend of mine joined a gym and asked me to join with her, unfortunately with winter on the wat I just didn't see any way to join with her. She called me last Friday and asked me if I would go with her if she and her husband bought my membership for me as a gift. Are these GREAT friends or what?! She told me she was afraid that without somebody to workout with that she would loose interest in working out and losing weight. Tonight was my first time down there, it seems like a pretty good gym. It is for women only and they provide you with a persomnal trainer as part of your membership. Tomorrow we are going to the water aerobics class. Now I can't wait to exercise and lose some of this weight so I start taking the water tae boe (sp?) classes they offer!

I know I should probably look in the previous posts to find out, but, Jana, did your DD have a boy or a girl??????? How are she and the baby doing?

I hope everyone is great here! I did miss all of you and thoght of you often.

TTFN Mel
Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 PM   #20  

Height: 5'1"

Angry

Hi again everyone--

Mel-- So good to hear from you! You have a great friend! And that is a nice thing to do to buy your membership as a gift. I try to get some of my friends to do things, but they don't want get into as some of them say. One told me that she would feel uncomfortable since she has so much more weight to lose than me, and I just told her, that it doesn't matter how much we need to lose... no matter what weight we're at... it still take a lot of effort to lose it. Maybe I'm not wording things right? ...you ladies have a suggestion?

Jana-- A new truck! How fun is that? James and I traded in our Ram the beginning of this year for a Ford Ranger. The Ram was a single cab... and the ranger is a four door. We loved the Ram, but we wanted more room. (does that make sense? we went from a large truck to a smaller one, but have much more room) James wants to buy me a truck in the next year or so. He says my car is too small and I need to be in something larger. I drive a Toyota Supra Turbo. I love it. So he can take his time getting me a truck.

Cristi-- I'm assuming you have a Wal-mart super store. We have Wal-marts all over around here, but not one is a Super store,,, so we have to go elsewhere for groceries. I hope you like the soup.

Kayecee-- My DD performance is sometime this month. She doesn't know the exact date yet. I keep reminding her to find out! She's starting to sound pretty froggy... I hope she starts feeling better soon. I just hate to see her so miserable.

Well, I went to my grandmothers to see if she needed any house work done, and when I got there, my aunt was just finishing it all. (she used to clean hotels... so she really cleaned... I was just going to do the basics!) My grandmother just said I had perfect timing and just sit down and talk. So we did. This is her 3rd time going through Chemo. About 6yrs ago she was diagnosed with stage four Ovarian Cancer, she was bad...The doctors were not sure if she would make it since they found it so late. But the word got out about her cancer and people from all over the world started praying. She had letters coming from Ireland, and all over the place.... (I'm not sure how the news spread, but I believe it was through church.) And after her chemo.. they saw NO signs of it. So she went for almost 3 yrs then they found out she had colon cancer. She had surgery to only remove 6" of her lg. intestine and afterwards had found out they had to remove 3feet!! (I didn't know you had that much in you!) And she did very well with chemo then too. And after two years of not having it... they found out that she had cancer in her splean, her pancreas and bowel. The poor thing!! And she was feeling her best that she had in years when they spotted it. This was all found in September. She was scheduled for surgery to remove the splean and part of the pancreas & intestine, only to open her up and see that there was sooo much of it. They just closed her up. So now she is going through chemo to slow it down. And our whole family is just praying that it shrinks it down enough to get her another year. She is strong.

And yes ladies... I know how bad smoking is for you. James and I have planned to quit before the holidays. We will be working on it together. I will keep you posted on how that goes. And feel free to say all you need to say to get it in my head to quit. Nagging is good in a situation like this!!

Ok, this post turned out longer than I intended, but I just wanted to pop in and let you know how things went with grandma.

You all take care

Hi to Natalie, Skew, Petra, Michelle, Bandaid and who ever else I've missed.

Night
Marti
Old 11-05-2003, 01:08 AM   #21  
just call me skinny

Hi everyone, I had weigh-in tonight, didn't gain but I did't loose either. all that blasted candy well yes today is a new day
thank God

wish I had time to reply to everyone but I'm pooped and gotta go to bed.

although I will say that I quit smoking 6 years ago - I smoked 2 packs a day for 14 years, so I'm not to preach but if I can do it I think anyone can. sorry about your grandma it hard to have sick loved ones
oh by the way it's low 30's and rainy here
Old 11-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #22  

Default Phew!

*sigh of relief*
2 of those nasty mean 4 pounds came off as of this morning (water). I know I am a dreadful scale addict, and I refuse to give it up. They say you shouldn't weigh in daily but I can't help myself!!! So I submit to the scale. There's just a few more to get down to get me back on track. I seem to have gained my motivation back, at least for now.

Marti,
I quit smoking when I started my health journey in June. It's been almost perfect except when I go out to the bar, I just need my smoke with a beer. Keep on trying, when you are truly ready you'll quit. I always knew I wouldn't be a long-term smoker, I think I talked myself out of it. Most of it is mental after the first few days. Really strong minty gum seemed to help in the beginning. Now I keep a big wad of Silly Putty on my desk and squeeze away when I am stressed. It's better than eating or smoking! I also noticed that the exercising helped a lot too, I am devoted to my workouts and I just wasn't dealing well with the smokey lungs.

Gettinskinny,
What a great friend you have! Got any more for me? A workout buddy really is a great idea, it's get boring doing it alone. If I didn't have my boyfriend to workout with I would miss half of my sessions. Welcome back!

Petra,
Yay for you not gaining! It was tough last week with all the candy and yummies around. I'm glad it's over and out of my house.

Cristi,
Good luck with the car, sometimes the engine light comes on when your maintanance is due. I know that happeds frequently to a friend of mine, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Jana,
I've been loosely following Dr Phil. Sometimes he gets on my nerves. I love the weight loss challenge contestants though, the way that they pick at eachother is hysterical! Yesterday when they were showing them walk around the track I felt so sad for them. I think it's awesome that they have all lost though, it's going to be interesting to see them in a year.
I just started reading Dr Phil's book, so far I've liked it. Most of the stuff in it I've already had crammed down my throat from other books. I like the quizzes he has in it, those are the most useful.

Well girls, that's it for me. I can't type anymore. Chat later and have a wonderful night!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:06 PM   #23  

Default Hey Y'all!

This is the third time that I have tried to do this! Every stinking time I go to get a smiley off the bigger window, the puter kicks me off here. Anyone else having problems?

One more duty day down. Woo Hoo! I hate duty days. I even finished OP and drank all my water before I left school though. This diet is pretty easy. I say this as I sit here typing and eating a cookie- it's legal- I can have one with my reward meal. Watch me gain 40 pounds this week! I'd better not after wading through all that mumbo jumbo in their book.

Mel- Glad to see you back! I had to go back and catch up on your DS because I was out of action for a while with puter problems. I am glad that everything worked out. You have a great friend. I would like to be near a gym but we live in the boonies and I guess the closest one is about an hour away. Sending you some good vibes to get you OP.

Marti- I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope everything goes well with her health. At least James is going to try to quit with you. I have seen friends try to quit and have a harder time because their DH doesn't. I know you both can do it. (I don't think I could give up chocolate! )

Petra- You go girl. So what if you didn't lose- hey, you didn't gain. Woo Hoo! That's a good thing after all the Halloween candy. It's dropped down to the 60's here and it was supposed to rain, but so far it hasn't.

Natalie- I am so glad someone else was honest. I was being polite and keeping my mouth shut, BUT Dr. Phil kinda bugs me!!! LOL I'm even afraid to read his book because I'm afraid I'll hear his voice droning on in my head. Sorry- don't mean to offend his fans! If you are a scale addict and absolutely have to weigh every day, maybe you should do what the Heller's from CAD suggest: They advocate weighing every day BUT you keep track and average it at the end of the week. That way you won't drive yourself nuts over a 2 pound gain or loss due to water, TOM, etc.

Well, I am outta here girls! Night y'all!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #24  
Fit and Feisty

Hi Everyone and Welcome to the Newbies! I have been MIA but never gone in spirit!

Thanks, Kaycee for the PM and for thinking of me. I just saw it today.

I guess buying 128 full size candy bars for Halloween was not such a good idea. We gave away 100 and most of the rest went to work with my DH. I say most of the rest. You know where the others went.

I have been faithfully following the Dr. Phil weight loss saga. It's good soap opera, and I even find it inspiring but yesterday was too much. When they showed the lady who ate while she goes to the bathroom..... YUK!

Love,
carree
Old 11-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #25  

Angry

Evening ladies--

Carree--Glad to see you pop in! Full size candy bars!! Oh my.....bet the kids loved it though!! James actually suggested that, but I told him that we'll stick w/the mini's. Of coarse, then hardly any kids showed up so it was a good thing we didn't... I'd be in soooo much trouble!

Kayecee--Ok, clue me in on Duty day?? What am I missing here? What are your duties?? And the comments you and Natalie brought up about Dr. Phil. I've only watched half a show one time. He bothered me a bit when I saw him on Oprah....so I never wanted to see his own show.. but I seen it on at my grandparent one day and sat a few to watch, I found the episode to be interesting. 28yrs old still living at home and not out looking for a job!! What's up with that? You should have your own place and maybe even have your own family by then.

Natalie-- I didn't realize you were a "recently quit smoking" gal. I have to say, that this whole smoking bit is just pitiful for me. The fact that I started smoking again bothers me. When I started seeing James five years ago, I smoked and he didn't, after a few months I decided to quit and did. For FOUR years!!! And then we went out and had a few drinks ... and for some reason bought some cigarettes. (kind of like needing that cigarette when you drink!) You would think that if you quit before you can quit again.... but I'm finding it harder. Only because I use the excuse "I'm stressed with school" an awful lot!
But I'm determined that we will not be smoking by the New Year!! I will keep you all posted.

Petra-- You should feel good about not gaining. I'm always doing the happy dance if my weight stays. Nothing wrong with that. Of coarse I would like it to go down, but it's so much better than gaining. It's raining here too. (of coarse it is, I'm in Oregon!!) How 'bout we all go for a walk in our rain coats and do some chatting on the way. (wouldn't that be fun?)

Well today in school I got back my exam in Business English. We went over our questions because many had questions as to why they got it wrong. I sat silently. I missed only three. The only one who got near perfect score. I was proud, but didn't want to flaunt it!! So I'm flaunting it here! And the exam in Word went well too. I received a high B. Doing pretty good. Just need to keep at it in Accounting!!

Whew!! I think I may need to speak in shorter sentences!! I can just go on and on.

Well, going to go eat dinner. A baked potato.

You all take care
Marti
Old 11-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #26  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Cristi - sometimes the "check engine" light comes on if the gas cap isn't screwed on just right. Hope that is what's wrong with your van. It's worth a shot to check it out...

Kaycee - yes, Dr. Phil's book is good. The quizzes in it really get a person to think about their eating habits. All of the quizzes are available at the website, though, if you don't want to buy the book.

Mel - good to see you!! Glad things are better with your son. Mary had a sweet little girl on Oct. 10, and named her Caylin. The little piggie went to the Dr. yesterday and is up to 9 pounds and 9 ounces! You have a good friend! But you must be a very good friend to her, for her to want to do this for you.

Marti - Glad you got to spend some quality time visiting your grandma. She will be in my prayers. Speaking as a woman who has a LOT to lose, it really does make a difference who I want to be around when I exercise, so I can understand your friends' concerns. It's embarrassing to be a whole lot heavier than your exercise partner. But talk to them, and try to convince them that you need to get/stay healthy, too, and ask if they will help you. That could work... I am always more likely to do things for others than for myself. When you quit smoking, you'll be amazed at how much more breath you will have! And I have no doubt you can do it!

Petra - maintaining is better than a gain, so celebrate that, okay? I also quit smoking 6 years ago! It was hard, but not as hard as losing weight. At least I could just not buy any cigs....

Natalie - YAY for you getting the 2 pounds off! I get weighed everyday, but only count it on Sundays.

Carree - hi buddy! It's good to see an original Featherweight/Jaded Lady here with all the new friends who've joined us. Yes, the challengers who ate in the bathroom were a little over the top. They have taken multi-tasking to a new low, lol.

Well, it is raining here, but I have to go out shopping anyway. Mary and the girls usually go with me on Thursdays, but I bet she will keep her babies home and stay cozy with them.

Talk to you later,
Jana

Last edited by Jana; 11-06-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #27  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Good Morning Ladies~

Jana, thanks, we did check that. I remembered my chevy mini-van did that one time and so I tried it, so did dh but it is still on. We have an appointment this morning to take it in so they can put it on the machine. It's running fine and I haven't heard any strange noises. I'm just a little leary about driving it, afraid it is just going to die in the middle of nowhere and I will have to walk home. Of course yesterday this guy at DH work asked what kind of car it was and he said a ford mini-van the guy told him it is probably nothing. He has a ford car, can't remember what kind, but said he took his car in because the engine light came on about a month after buying it, and they couldn't find a thing wrong with his car. He said the engine light has stayed on for the four years he has been driving the car. Anyway...I'm hoping it is nothing or nothing major. I had a ford windstar back in 1995, had it for 3 years and have also had other ford cars and have never had any problems so...

Kayecee, yes I have to agree with the others, Dr. Phil's book is great. It has made me really think about a lot of things, and I love the quizzes. I hope noone ever picks the book up and looks at it. Between my highlighting and all the writing in it they will think I am nuts. I think they already know that though! I was having problems and still am as far as the smilies. Last week when I would click on get more the computer would freeze up. But we got a new computer since and it hasn't happened. But if my posts are long or I take too long when I hit submit it goes to the page that says I haven't logged in. I need to let Suzanne know of this. I tried playing with the settings as she suggested but it hasn't worked so when I think about it I always copy my long posts just in case. Oh and you don't offend me Kayecee. I am a Dr. Phil fan, love the guy! But I know a lot of people can't stand him and that is perfectly fine. I guess I just like how he is so blunt, he tells you the truth. He cracks me up! and I think he is kind of cute too!

Mel, so very glad to see you! We have missed you lady! What a GREAT friend you have! Glad to hear things are straightened out with DS.

Carree, glad to see you posting also. I must have missed that, someone was actually eating while they went to the bathroom?! When I first met DH he did that! I told him that was disgusting, sorry if anyone does that but to me it is so gross. Of course he hasn't done it since, not that I know about.

Marti, yes our Wal-Mart is a super store. It is so much cheaper on groceries than our local grocery store. I go for the bargain! I hardly ever go elsewhere unless it is just to pick up something I forgot because the local store is so much closer. I am sorry to hear about your grandma (((((HUGS))))) to your family. I do know how hard it is to see a loved one suffer. My heart goes out to you and your grandma.

Natalie, WTG on those two pounds! I don't know how you ladies weigh everyday. That would drive me crazy! I tried it once and got so frustrated. Now I only get on once a week. But I do know quite a few people who weigh everyday.

Well, ladies I need to be getting off this thing. It's almost time to get to the dealership and I have a busy day ahead of me. I am going to get a walk in at the mall since I have to go there and have other errands to run etc. My mind is twirling with all the things I need to do today.

Hi to everyone else, Bandaid, Skew, Michelle and anyone else I missed. EVERYONE have a GREAT day and I will try and do the same!

Last edited by FrouFrou; 11-08-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #28  
just call me skinny

Yippy I get a whole day off and don't need to go anywhere
so what am I doing - I'm cleaning and guess what I'm taking a break because when you cut your finger cleaning it's considered break time
wish I could one of these to clean my house.

hey Marti, what are you going to school for? I'm taking Microbluckology oops I mean microbiology, It's a prerequisit for RN. I loved LPN school but now I'm having trouble getting back into it so I'm just taking 1 class and working.

Cristi hope your car is ok

I have a supertarget by where I work and it's great - I wonder if it's the same as walmart

any way I must get back to cleaning
Old 11-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #29  

Evening ladies--

I thought I would pop in a few mins. See how everyone is doing.

Petra--I'm majoring in Office Assistant. Not my first choice, but I already received my certificate back in '96 and never used it,,, and then the company I worked for closed, and so I figured I should use it... only to find out I'm outdated. Everything on the computer is slightly different from what I remember. So I'm just getting some updated skills.

Well ladies--I've got to get some house work done and then start dinner. My daughter is coming over tonight and she's sick... and she asked for Chicken soup. No problem!! So I will chat with you all later tomorrow....

I'm going to the challenge thread real quick...

Take care
Marti
Old 11-06-2003, 09:04 PM   #30  

Talking Dang it all! Virtual Post-a-thon!

Man! I had a lot of reading to do! I am glad to see everyone here. I hope I didn't jinx myself. I usually go to my doctor's to weigh on Monday's after school. I started TOM today and with the way I have been eating with the new diet, I have been nervous that I might be actually gaining. I had to go by her office to pick up their Avon order and couldn't help myself! I weighed and...... I was down 1 1/2 pounds!!! In only 4 days! And on first day of TOM! Woo Hoo! I just hope I keep it until Monday! It will be official then.

Carree- Glad to see you back girlfriend! Uh... hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps the 128 full sized candy bars wasn't such a good idea. LOL And you mean to tell me that some lady got on national television and admitted to eating on the potty?!? Ewwwww! I can't believe people... even if I were guilty of something like that, I don't think I'd announce it for the whole world. LOL

Marti- Sorry for the confusion. Remember that I teach elementary? One day a week I have to watch 200 or so kids while they eat breakfast, eat lunch, have recess, go to the buses, pick their noses, etc. My duty day is Wednesday this year so if I seem crappy on those days, that's why! Way to go on the exams!!! I knew you could do it! Don't worry, I know you will be just as successful giving up the smokes as you have been with your exams this week. You go girl! You are !

Jana- I'll check out the Dr. Phil site for the quizzes. Thanks. Maybe I just haven't given him a chance. I read an interview done with him once and he seems interesting, but something just struck a wrong chord. (Maybe I watched him on duty day!) LOL Oh, Caylin is getting so big. The time just flies. I look at my 10 year old and it is sooo hard to imagine him as a little baby any more. Great! Now I am making myself sad.

Cristi- Our Dodge Ram has had an engine light on for a year and they think it is just a short or something. Hopefully, it's nothing major with yours. I'm the type that cranks the radio up if I hear a funny noise..... My motto is: Hey, it's still moving, ain't nothing wrong! What's so weird about Dr. Phil is that since I am so blunt myself, I usually adore blunt people. I don't know what has thrown me off of him. I never can sell self-help or financial books because I highlight the heck out of them too. My smilies are doing o.k. right now.

Petra- You dog! How did you luck out and get a day off? I'm jealous! Hope your finger is o.k. Oh and honey- take it from this Arkansas gal- AIN'T NOTHIN' like a Wal-Mart. I always tell my DH that if he dies before I do, I'm burying him in the middle of Wal-Mart- that way I will be sure to visit him every day!!!

Well, gotta go. Hey to everyone else. Night y'all!

Last edited by Kayecee; 11-06-2003 at 09:09 PM.
Closed Thread