Old 07-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #31  

There's Annie typing over my head, LOL. So sorry you had to cancel your vacation away, but it was the smart thing to do. The less stringent c19 measures of some states have come back to kick them in the arse. But tubing sounds fun - I've never done that. Is it like the lazy river at the water park? == Funny how that works, you can do what your managers do but you don't get the manager money. I'm experiencing some of that myself and I don't get the title (don't care) or the money. Bleh. Let's just be grateful for our jobs and the benefits they provide. We're lucky to have them! == School will be yet another challenge. I imagine the boys are accustomed to wearing masks when they're out and about now? ==Great job with the WL and maintaining it. I'm not eating well. I guess another thing to be grateful for -my clothes still fit. Even the pants with zippers! Wow, amazing the impact sugar has on you now that you've eliminated it! Keep up the good work.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #32  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning ladies,

Between not much going on and not much posting here, I admit I have gotten out of the habit of checking on here.

Our yard is just filled with butterflies. We both said we think we have had more butterflies this year than all the other years combined. We have a deck full of pretty flowers, butterflies, hummingbirds in abundance and the birds singing in the trees. It's really a nice, peaceful place. I did splurge and buy a gorgeous wind chime. It has a wonderful tone and resonance and plays ever so softly in the gentle breeze. It just adds to the peacefulness of the yard. At first I was concerned about all the ATV traffic on our road but fortunately it's only bad on the holidays and mostly manageable otherwise. The cold & compression unit they are using on my leg for physical therapy has done wonders to reduce the swelling in the bursa sac on my knee. Now it's the arthritis pain I am dealing with. I have also noticed I have to pay particular attention to my shoes. I have a pair of Sketchers moccasin style slip ons that kill my knees even though they are well supportive and sturdy. And I have a pair of super light weight New Balance tie ups that you would think give no support at all yet they are the ones that I am most comfortable wearing. Go figure. I am getting around better but have to be mindful I don't over do. We are going round and round with the big mask debate at the Thrift Shop. We are asking customers to wear them but not mandatory and we have some very vocal anti mask volunteers who sit on top of you and carry on about how we don't need masks. It's causing a problem between the various volunteers. So I just do what I have to working around all the others in off times. My Mom is doing ok and so is my sister. Wish I could plan a visit but the rest of the year is a big IF. And that's about it for me. I have physical therapy later today - only once this week , get my hair cut and colored tomorrow, an art class Wednesday and Thursday which will be interesting because usually there's a dozen of us in packed in around a table. I have lots of vegetables from the CSA box and Farmers Market I have to us up somehow. We bought a 2 person high top bistro (bar) type table and 2 nice higher chairs for outside along with an umbrella and have been enjoying several meals on the deck. Trying to enjoy as much of summer as possible. I am still hollering at cats who always seem to be in something they should not be...

Annie - good job on sticking to the weight loss. I'm sorry you had to cancel your vacation. I know how much you look forward to getting away. What a pain with the job too. That's like when they are laying people off - I always said the ones who get cut first have it easier even if it's a shock because the last ones left to keep the lights on have more and more and more piled on their plates until they are about to break. "be glad you have a job" Grrrr. You are so right about sugar's effect on aches and pains and inflammation. I used to love caramels but I might as well have laid down in traffic when I ate it because it was 2 days of major pain afterwards. I tried to tell this to my Momma who loves her sweets - it's half her diet but Mom - that's also what gives the knees so much pain. Well I gotta eat something! I guess it's easier to gum up bakery goods when you are missing teeth. I don't think so but what do I know??? Hang in there sister.

Laura - hopefully you got your vehicle back again. What's the fun of taking vacation when you can't go anywhere? Even if it's a getaway weekend. Just something different. And when you are working from home, vacations are a little different. You sure have been getting some heat and humidity out your way. Ugh. We are hot but it's more dry. I wake up in the morning and my mouth is as dry as a winter's day. Less bugs so that's ok.

That's about it for me. I have to hop in the shower and shave my legs. Have a good week. Hellos to all of you
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #33  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Finally managed to get all fingers to work again in this unseasonal cold we have at the moment. I must admit it does warm up nicely during the day - as long as you can get out of the wind, but we are truly in winters grip. I don't think I can remember being this cold in the 30 years I have been here.

Not a lot to report here. We are slowly coming out of this corona virus although the two greedy states are starting on their second wave and we may have to shut the borders again. Our poor police and defence force are dealing with people who want to come to our warmer temperatures for the weekend and sometimes the entire winter. Sure we need the money, and the business but heck no, we don't need the virus. The queues to cross the border are horrendous and some are trying to get in illegally, no pass, no entry. Meantime the state of Victoria is in awful crisis with several hundred new cases per day and more deaths in age care homes - but there are still those that say it is all a hoax, an attempt to allow the government to pass legislation no one wants and become a big brother so we are all to knuckle under and obey their dictates. Such blind stupidity abounds. Guess it is the same all over the world. There are times when the veneer of 'civilisation' is very thin.

Garden is coming to the end of it's first round of produce. The tomatoes are not ripening in any hurry tho', mind you it's too cold for them to even think about it. Lettuce is still performing and I saw yesterday that the second lot of potatoes are starting to come through. Peas are up but very short yet. I've pulled out the broccoli because it didn't perform at all, and the large cauliflower plants are only producing leaves and not much else so they are under orders as well. The spinach is done and the corn is done so it will all be coming out this weekend and more planted after the soil is dug over and fertilised. Rocket is finished as well.
I have buds on two of my new roses so they are looking good. I bought another two a few weeks back. One will go to DS2's new partner for her birthday and I will keep the other in case she kills it The Azaleas will be in bloom soon - such as the ones I have left after the drought late last year and the flood earlier this year.

Speaking of the DS2, he and partner have gone to Townsville for 10 days. Her grandmother - aged 92 - is not well and there isn't a lot of hope for a recovery so they have flown up there to see her, the partners dad and her other grandmother as well as her mum. I have the dog for 10 days. He is not that happy that his lord and master went off without him last night. Still we will do a few things together to help him deal with that and his illness (although apart from eating everything in sight), it doesn't appear to be slowing him down much.

Happy - Glad to here that the leg is finally feeling somewhat better. Relief at last, as long as you remember not to overdo things. The garden is sounding lovely right now - it's hard work getting it done but so worth it when the birds, bees and butterflies also love it. I'm sorry to hear of the face mask debacle over there. Yes we have the same thing here sometimes however our politicians are somewhat more forceful than yours and we do have to wear masks on planes, trains and buses, ferries and public places where there are people gathered. That's mandatory and we will be fined if we disobey ($1400 + tax). We are also fined if we disobey the strict rules on social gatherings. We can go to pubs, clubs, protests, cafes and nightclubs, however there are strict rules about social distancing in all of them and not all are the same. For example you can go to a nightclub, drink and eat, listen to music but you can't get up on the dance floor. One nightclub (mind you they cater for the young and stupid anyway) was fined $60,000 for allowing dancing and there were all these young people squashed onto a dance floor yahooing and waving their arms around. Just lucky we haven't had a new COVID-19 case in over 2 weeks.
I'm glad to hear that your mother is okay (as are your sister and her family) It must be difficult for her at this time.

Laura - no I haven't dusted off the bicycle yet. It has to come down from the top of the shed and that's too high for me to reach safely on a ladder. I will wait for the DS2 to do that for me. The mojo is more or less back, and I am back to painting trim - a job I have been procrastinating about for some time. Two doors and 2 windows to go and I am done. As for the volunteering, I organised a facebook page, then the coffee dates and walking group and that's as far as I need to go - someone else can pick up the rest because I am not devoting my life to Probus. Teddy is currently in Townsville getting repaired by DS2's partners mum so he will be home in 10 days ready to go to his new family. Here people don't have a choice about isolation. If you come into this State from Victoria or from Sydney in NSW you go directly to a designated hotel for 14 days and you are tested on arrival, in five days, and at day 12. The hotel is at your own expenses and generally winds up around the $3000 mark. There are no if's or but's, you are taken there by bus and the police ensure you stay there. Don't like that? Don't come to Queensland.

Annie - enjoy your time off. Hope it all goes well for you. The boys will enjoy the rafting. Sad that so much has to be cancelled, but that's better than the alternative.

Susie - hope that shoulder is getting better now. It's mainly a case of working through the pain and discomfort I guess. Enough to make a grown woman weep especially since it is happening through your all too short summer

Okay, time to go. Get dog out for a walk. Finish making the chicken and corn soup and get that in the freezer, sweep the floors and clean the car. That's todays agenda - well for now anyway.

Last edited by Shad; 07-16-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #34  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

Shad with you complaining about the cold, I just looked up the weather by you. 50 degrees (F). Hah. That is what we get down to at night here in the middle of SUMMER. We call that refreshing sleeping weather. Oh dear, I would never be able to visit you in the summer just as you would not tolerate our winters. All relative... Bummer on the garden - yes, it's too cold for tomatoes. We are having warm days and while my grape tomatoes are turning, the patio beefsteaks are rather stagnant. They started out with blossom end rot but I gave them a dose of calcium which put that in check. I'm sure they are waiting for a good windstorm where they can fall off the vine! Might make for some nice fried green tomatoes though. I'm surprised the peas and rocket have faded - thought they liked the cool weather. Your chicken and corn soup sounds lovely. I see you still have the rose garden to enjoy.

Your country has many parallels to ours although you have more sensible people. Ours has sadly become a nation very, very divided. Very selfish too. You name it - assault rifles, religion, racial issues, masks, schooling, general social manners - you can bet there are people fighting about it. With so many companies and towns issuing mask directives in the wake of increasing Coronavirus infections, our thrift shop leader has decided we will make masks mandatory. We will see how that goes. No one willing to enforce it. I think most people will comply - we have 2 workers who refuse to wear masks, one may cave in but the other will no doubt do her business at the shop off hours which is ok too. Remains to be seen how the general public will respond. Most people are good about masks. Some will try and get away without them but if you mention it, they sheepishly put them on. We are fortunate that the lady who does the CSA farm box partnered with another grower who has the most delicious salad and lettuce mixes. Most I find are on the bitter side - these are wonderful. I picked up some cucumbers and tomatoes from a roadside vendor - yum - fabulous. The ones in the grocery stores are sad and tasteless.

Heard on the news that they are concerned about people getting a double whammy of the seaonal flu AND Covid-19 at the same time. That really freaks me out. I do NOT like wheezing. I see the gym closed their pool indefinitely. Sure, just after I bought 2 swim suits.

Yesterday I went to a watercolor art class. Was worried it might be a free for all but they were trying to separate people. Many of these are long time groupies who gather together. About half of us with masks. I made sure I got there early and had the seat closest to the outside open door with the strong breeze blowing everything away from me. I did enjoy the class. We painted 2 blue birds on a branch. It reminds me that I really enjoy this, DESPERATELY need practice and should get myself in gear. DH has many beautiful pictures that would make nice painting subjects also.

I'm feeling a bit better today so going to attack some of the things here that are waiting for the trash bin or a proper home. Yesterday we were sitting on the deck and I suggested we take a UTV ride to get some dinner. We have not taken the UTV out yet this year. DH was kind of tired after his day working the yard but he was up for it. We had a nice ride. Afterwards he admitted he was not eager to start but once we stopped for dinner, he said "why don't we do this more often, it was fun". I said that's why I brought it up. By the time the July 4th holiday rolls around, the rest of summer goes quickly. I am trying to make the most of what we can during the limitations of the virus and avoid the typical September day when the weather turns noticably cooler and I say I have missed my opportunity (once again) to deal with things like boxes in the garage and such. Need to set up that upstairs art studio too as well as setting up my new computer before this current out of date one bites the dust. What's my excuse???

Susie - I am sorry to hear of the woes of your shoulder. Prayers for a speedy recovery to you. Do the P/T work. I understand about the frustrations of an elongated recovery and how that plays on your head.

Hellos to the rest of you, I am going to get busy before DH returns and I lose my ambition.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #35  

Happy, our night time temps have been in single digits for about 2 weeks. It's great for sleeping but not for 6am starts (when the dog gets here). Daytime temps are just great at somewhere between 20 and 25C - that's 70 and 80 more or less. But we are also having some winds that feel like they blow straight from Antarctica so the wind chill factor is cooling things off. Just fantastic if you can get somewhere out of the sun. It's hard to think that they are coming from the desert out west. I always think of deserts as hot spots.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #36  
Choose your hard

Hi guys,

Checking in. Therapy is going well. She is giving me exercises to strengthen my leg because I am walking weird due to weak muscles and making things worse. Got a cortesone shot on Tuesday. The orthopedic doctor gave it to me. It's torture when my regular doctor does it. The ortho guy injected lidocane first - burns but I knew worse was to come. It numbed things up and before I knew it, he was done! Told him he needs to teach my doctor his secrets. At this point it's just keeping up with P/T. They are moving Monday to a new addition to the hospital. Said it's super nice, can't wait to see it. She is also doing some massage on my knee - what I thought was arthritis is irritated tissue and the massage is helping. Slowly but surely this is healing. Going on 3 months now.

We are enjoying the bounty of farmer's markets now. Lots of fresh produce to enjoy. The hummingbirds are swarming already - I think they may leave south sooner than they usually do.

The flower gardens are starting to peter out a bit. Trying to enjoy as much of the last of summer as possible. I am hoping my leg gets to feeling better - I have boxes in the garage for years that need to be gone through and hope to get that done before it's too cold to work outside which sadly, will come in a blink of an eye - or at least it seems to.

Everyone in the family is doing well. We are all waiting to see what will happen in the fall with this Covid thing but so far all are healthy which is good. DH talked about some overnight road trips but I said not this year, I'm not comfortable travelling, especially as cases rise and things close down. We'll just keep it local. We've had a few days of cool weather - in the 60's which has been a welcome break except the temperature change has apparently cracked the skin on my tomatoes. I have not had good luck with patio plants but fresh corn, cucumbers and tomatoes are coming to the markets so I'm happy to buy from roadstands.

Other than that nothing much. I am trying to tackle projects. Need to transfer to my new computer before this one craps out on me and I would also like to get things organized to set up my art / painting studio by October. I really like the watercolor but have to practice as my touch is too heavy handed. Also paints dry out and they are too expensive to waste.

Hope you are all doing well.

Shad - I guess you can call a major expanse of any land a desert - even if it's covered with polar ice. Interesting that the cool winds blow from the south - much like our "cooler by the lake" temperatures as the air cools over the deep cold water. I hope you can avoid the whole Covid thing. Seems like New Zealand has their act together but sadly, you have many parallels like us in the States in Australia. "leadership" differences, you think? How's week number two with the pup? Is he begrudgingly accepting you as a poor substitute?

It's funny - overcast and 62 degrees outside and I want to put on a sweater. Shad must be rubbing off on me!

Have a good one ladies. Check in once in a while
Old 07-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #37  

Evening. Started this at lunch time, but time ran out and didn't get back to it 'til now.

TGIF. Nothing much to report. Busy with work, have a 7/31 deadline I’m working against, I took Monday off but won’t take any time off next week. I went to a new eye doctor on Monday and I think they’ll work out just fine. They ordered some sample contact lenses that may help me see both distance and near. Right now I get good distance vision with my contacts, but I need readers for up close. When those samples arrive, I’ll set up a time to go back to their office and decide on some frames. I looked at some after my exam on Monday but of course couldn’t decide what I liked.

Happy – The butterflies in your yard must be lovely. I guess since the flower are almost done, they’ll be gone soon. I enjoy listening to the birds, but right now we’ve got the cicadas going, ugh. It’s early afternoon and they’re making their racket. Oh well, soon enough we’ll be closing the windows and cranking up the AC again as the temps start to rise again. It was a nice day and a half of nice temps and low humidity, but the weekend will be back in the 90’s. At least it’ll block out the cicada sounds. == I’m glad the ATV traffic isn’t too bad on your roads outside of the holiday weekends and you can enjoy the peace and beauty. Nice you got out on the ATV – have you gone again yet? Like you said – summer flies by all to quickly! == I’m glad the PT and ice compression unit are helping your leg heal and the cortisone shot helps it feel better. I like New Balance sneakers, but I might try another brand the next time I buy sneakers. The two times I’ve taken brisk walks for exercise, including this morning, I feel like my feet are moving around in my shoe, and in my right shoe, my foot is rubbing up against the edge of the orthotic. Time for new shoes and new orthotics. In the meantime I’ll scrounge through all my orthotics and see if another pair is any better. I also might just buy a good quality OTC pair of orthotics. All that said – my surgery foot feels pretty good. == I’m glad your mom and sister are doing okay. Too bad about the travel issues…and it’s not a great time to be in the city with all this unrest going on. I haven’t been watching the news, but saw a blurb about our mayor removing the Columbus statue from Grant Park in the middle of the night. Definitely want to watch the evening news to learn more, though I’m sure it’s just so the protestors don’t try to topple it or otherwise damage it. Maybe it’s a good thing it’s gone anyway….== I’m glad the art class went well. Hope you get your studio set up so you can work on your watercolor painting. I’m glad you’re enjoying the farmers markets this summer. Ours is disappointing – fewer vendors with less produce. And dogs aren’t allowed now!

Annie – When were you going tubing? How was it?

Susie – How’s your shoulder feeling?

Shad – I hope the weather is more normal for the season now. == Is the birthday rose for DS2’s partner still alive or did you have to give her the back-up one?? == How’s it been dogsitting? I hope doggy doesn’t miss his dad too much. Don’t forget to have DS2 get that bike down from where it’s hung so you can get out for a ride sometime. Do you have a helment? BF and I went for a short ride the other evening, but it was probably too early (rush hour) and even the side streets we were cycling on were a bit busy, so not to our liking. No ride this weekend because it’s gonna be in the 90’s and humid. Boo.

Hi Ceejay!

Nothing much to report here. Hope I’m not repeating - we got a new gas grill and finally used it for the first time this week. We bought a new bike rack for the SUV and it was delivered today. I was okay with throwing mine in the back of the SUV, even though I had to take the front tire off to make it fit. The quick-release thingy makes it easier. But I guess the rack will be nice once I learn how to use it. Not a roof rack, and not one you hang the bike on by its frame. This one has a platform that you set the bike on by its tires. Bikes and racks are in short supply these days because everyone wants them since it’s one of the only active things to do with others that’s compatible with social distancing. We were going to get a white rack to blend in with the SUV color, but it was out of stock everywhere, so we went with a dark gray.

Went shopping for my mom the other evening and will go back tomorrow to bring Chinese food for lunch with her.

Feels like all I do is work, water flowers and plants, read and watch TV. Also doing morning exercise, and a little bit of sewing. Missing the festivals and outdoor concerts this summer.

Okay, gonna get this posted and make a phone call. Everyone have a good weekend everyone and stay healthy!!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #38  

Afternoon all,
Saturday afternoon and wet, wet, wet. So I am catching up on a few things indoors, and cleaning up after the dog from time to time. He is moulting heavily. And while I am working I am listening and sometimes watching a video of Foster and Allen - the Irish duo. Old music but perfect background to folding washing, kneading and baking bread and getting ready to make some stuff for the kids when they get back from Townsville tomorrow. I need to make a list of what they need coming home to an empty fridge. Think I will make a big dish of Macaroni Cheese (Mac n Cheese as it is known here) and possibly a Lemon meringue pie as I have lemons that need to be used.

Happy - so pleased to read that the leg is responding to treatment at last. Don't forget the mask when visiting the PT at the hospital. Better safe than sorry. What's a few minutes discomfort compared to time out on a ventilator. I know what I would be doing.
Great that the farmers markets are continuing. Nothing like good fresh vegetables, except when they all come to the ripe stage together and you have to give a whole lot of your hard work away as I have this year. Still it helps others so why not. Cracked skin on tomatoes is usually caused by a dry spell followed by too much water. Silly things suck up the water and the skin can't cope.
As for the COVID-19 thing. Well I am happy your people are well and so far avoiding anything, they are obviously observing the rules. Sometimes the rest of humanity sucks.
As far as we are concerned, the NZ Prime Minister has the right ideas. Mind you we are lucky in that we are surrounded by ocean - both countries. It must be easier to man the borders that way. We often joke that we have 2 PMs New Zealands Jacinda number 1 and Aus' Scott Morrison as number 2 since in the beginning whatever NZ did, Aus followed. Well NZ got over it, but thanks to BLM protests, free the refugees, and various other protests which should never have happened, 2 of the non-conformist states have the 2nd wave coming along. Unfortunately it is not those that deserve to get the virus badly that are dying. Thanks Rent a Riot.
Anyway, I have attached a picture which you might find amusing - there is irony in it. You may have already seen it on Facebook.

Laura - good to hear about the new eye doctor. Find one that works and stick with it as long as possible I say. Hope you get your deadline done in time. You have a week to do it. I had the multi focal contact lenses and they were quite good. There are times though when I had problems reading with them in and if they changed up the prescription, I was fuzzy on the distance, so I switched back to Mono lens, 1 for distance and one for reading. They work well. You don't even notice the difference unless you mix up the lens and put them in the wrong eyes. Then you know!!!!
The birthday roses arrived and I have planted them in big pots. Her birthday is not until next Tuesday and so far they are looking good. I'll keep one here and she can keep the other at the rental place. Once they get their own place, she can have the other as well. Just a safeguard.
The bike will have to have some maintenance done on it before I can ride it and I will have to get a helmet. No rush for that since DS2 won't be able to work on it for a while. He has a bit of nightshift coming up and will be grouchy and grumpy for a few days afterwards. There is plenty else I can do meantime.

Well that's about it for now. Nothing much to report from here. Tomatoes are nearly ripe, corn is finished, new lot to be planted shortly. Not having a great deal of luck with seeds this year. I had to pull out the broccoli because it went straight from forming a small flowerhead to flowering and not much in between. Beetroot has been good, beans are good (this is the third sowing, the first two failed to sprout) and I've had one lot of carrots but the next lot will be some way off. Only things doing really well are the lettuces, potatoes, parsley and the lime tree. The miniature cauliflower was great but the full size ones are under orders to do something (apart from growing huge leaves) or come out.

See you later

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Who's the best leaders.jpg (52.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #39  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

We are in the dregs of summer - high (for us) heat and humidity for the next month and then boom - it will suddenly drop and get cool and hello autumn in about 4 weeks. So enjoy it even if sweaty. The hummingbirds are bulking up - we are feeding at least 8 cups of sugar water a day. I went to the store yesterday and bought 20 pounds of sugar. That's more than I need but I did get a second box of peaches the other day and want to make some chutneys or peach freezer jam / sauce and will need some sugar myself. It's funny - once the hummingbirds leave I'm not sure I even use one pound of sugar for the rest of the year. I put it in tea occasionally - not a big honey fan though trying to embrace it more. I do find I like the local honey much better than the store bought kind. Other than that, not much use for the stuff although I get sweet in many other things like fruit and balsamics.

I don't like this humidity - makes the chest heavy and a bit tight. Also coughing a bit just from general things floating in the air. It's been 3 days since my cortesone shot and I'm disappointed that it's not doing anything much for the knee part. That inner corner is still tight although the physical therapist said it's tight tissue and not totally arthritis. I am trying to be good and do my exercises. Am getting around more but I will hit a snag in my leg that makes it want to weaken and give out so then it gets "crabby" for a long while. Monday I get to go into the new physical therapy facility at the hospital. They have been building it for a year now and it has made an awful mess with construction and parking. Wish they had room for a warm exercise pool for all the effort they put into it. But no. I see the gym I was going to had decided to reopen the swimming pool after closing it for at least a month. It changes rapidly. You have to make a 2 hour reservation so they can control the flow of people. It just doesn't work with our schedules quite yet so I will wait until DH gets done with the yard work before I pester him to take a ride over there. I don't like driving there myself. It's a long and winding road that is one lane in each direction and no passing due to the winding. People come off the highway and want to barrel down the road excessively over the speedlimit. They ride your tail thinking that will make you violate the law like they do. I will tap my brakes when I get a taligater but these days you can't risk getting into an altercation as you don't know what people will do. Most of the ride is open fields so if they run you off the road, no witnesses. So I prefer to go with him. And sadly, there is only one road to get there and back.

The little tiny bees annoying bees are out. I hear they are good polinators but they are overtaking the hummingbird feeders, swarming and keeping the birds away. It's hard to sit out on the deck as they are attracted to salt and sweat and most annoying too. We put out shallow dishes of sugar water to try and lure them away from the feeders but there are so many now, it's an impossible task. I am looking right now at 8 of them going in circles around the water dish.

Tomatoes are turning - we got a few from our patio plants and they are coming to the farmers markets. Tasty too. As is the sweet corn. Yesterday we picked up our farm box and a nice young man with a pop up business was making Neopolitan Italian pizzas at the farm. They were all veggie based - margharita - traditional tomato sauce, olive oil, basil and mozzerella cheese, marinara with just sauce and basil, pistachio with roasted nuts, garlic, cheese and a light white sauce and our surprise favorite - limoncello which had almost translucent thinly sliced lemon with peel, salty cheese and a thin white sauce and some fresh basil. There was something addictingly attractive about the salty lemon. The dough was chewy and he bakes them for about 90 seconds in a 900(F) degree hot oven that he has to constantly turn lest the crust bubble and burn. It was an interesting experience - we'd do it again but just with the lemon one. I suppose I could try this with the flatbread style sandwich breads we have also. The person who runs the CSA (community supported aggriculture / farm box) loves to experiment with food. She has gone less traditional vegetables and more "what's S's food experiment of the week". I don't mind an occasional surprise but I want a farm box for a farm box of fresh vegetables... This week's box had kombucha which I don't like and from the looks of things, most of the people picking up didn't want either. There is also a Thai carrot soup because apparently there is an abundance of carrots this year. I will try that, hoping it is not spicy but DH won't eat it. Patty pan - a flat squash is also in abundance. Thank goodness she partnered with another local farmer so we got salad fixings - good greens, cucumber, fresh tomatoes, nice small onions and some more patty pan squash and kohlrabi. There was also some garlic from another local farmer. I stopped at the market yesterday to pick up sugar and of course filled my cart with fresh fruits - plums, canteloupe, watermelon, cherries and I have blueberries and peaches from the peach truck. If you are hungry, come on over as I have not a shread of extra room in my 2 refrigerators or freezers. Eek. I hate going to the grocery store so the longer I can put it off, the happier I am. My friend does the European shop every day for dinner. Her refrigerator is something that looks like a staged set up - an attractive woven basket of apples, perhaps 1 or two lone vegetables and lots of empty space. It's like - does anyone LIVE here? What do you eat? She said they don't use it fast enough to stock up alot. Ok but then she often whines about someone come here to feed me, I am hungry. She and her husband eat quite simply too - they will have burgers for supper (he is a fuss budget with a very limited palate) or blueberry pancakes. If I ate blueberry pancakes for supper, I'd be starving 2 hours later - no protein, too much carb, not filling. But that is there thing. I am trying hard to use up the food I have so it does not go to waste although I did regret that I missed my chance on the beautiful strawberries I got 2 weeks ago. Thought I carefully stored them in the refrigerator only to find that they were all fuzzy underneath 3 days later when I went to use them. The ones you get from the store are so tasteless too.

Tuesday I FINALLY get my new teeth! I can't wait. This has been not the most pleasant ordeal. I am tired of these studs and the ill fitting partial that takes up the whole roof of my mouth and makes me gag. I hope in the end it's worth it. I just wish the Chinese buffet down from the dentist's office would open back up again. Was my favorite place to eat and I'm missing it.

Shad - nice to hear that you are getting some much needed rain at long last. Hope it sticks around. Laughed at the picture of the pile of dog hair you posted. Should be able to restuff all my furniture with cat hair too. How did your mac and cheese come out? I love it with fresh tasting tomatoes. Always a favorite dish. Oh yes, we do have very strict rules when going to the hospital complex, clinics and physical therapy. I have learned not to wear a mask in because when they take your temperature upon arriving, they make you discard your mask and they give you a fresh one. I have wasted several disposables from my personal collection so now I just let them give me one since they insist. It does sometimes make for a bit of discomfort when breathing hard with the exercises though - would not want to have to wear one in the gym. I told DH yesterday as we were the only ones at the farm wearing masks, I do realize we are outdoors and spacing but I need to just get into the habit of wearing one in public no matter what. It's easy to become lax when no one else is doing it. We only have 21 cases in the nearby area. Don't know what the autumn surge will bring. It is not required in the grocery stores and there are movements here and in the next state over to make them mandatory in public at all times. Most people are compliant thank goodness. Are you still looking in on the neighbors or has life pretty much quieted down to just you and the flowers and animals? You used to do a lot of walking too but with no reason to travel anymore...

Laura - I know what you mean about life stuck in a routine. I got a new clock about the size of an Ipad that I had gotten for my Mom. It shows in big letters the day of the week, the time of day (morning, dawn, evening, etc), the actual time and the date. I am finding this helpful when every day is "blurrs-day". And I can see it at night without my glasses Or what time it is when I mentally cuss DH for getting up at 5am and opening and closing our very squeeky, swollen front door 19 times as he goes in and out to fill the feeders and wake up the neighborhood. How is the new bike rack working out? From what my Mom and sister are complaining about, it seems was too uncomfortable and muggy for any sort of strenuous exercise right now. I guess the inner city is really going bonkers with gangs and gun violence. Even my friend whose sister lives on the north side is looking to get out of the city herself. How is the downtown area? Are you comfortable with commuting or would would high tail it out of there after 6pm? Sad what the city has deteriorated to. I imagine with all the summer activities mostly cancelled it's not much of a great summer for anyone. As for the shoes I find it super hard to find something that works well. The very lightweight New Balances I have are nice but not good for long term on the feet. The regular ones feel klunky and when my left foot is swollen they are really tight. It seems when I get wide slip on shoes to fit my orthotic like you say, your food slides around in them. I am jealous of young girls who wear no support, dangerous flip flops and have feet that don't hurt all the time Glad to hear your foot is coming along, seems like a slow heal also but as long as it's getting better. I'm sure not having to trek around walking back and forth from the train helps too. Will you be working from home most of the rest of the year? I think office life will be different going forward.

Hello to the rest of you ladies. I am going to go sit outside and finish my coffee before the rain moves in. Sometimes it's just chilly in here with the air conditioning on but I try to make it comfortable for DH.

Take care and be safe...
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #40  

Height: 5'7"

Hello,

I have missed a lot of posts.

Annie: I'm sorry your vacation was cancelled.. It is such a bummer for sure. This whole Covid-19 world is sureal.

Happy: I see that you were going to get your teeth today. I am looking forward to hearing how they feel and what you think of them.

I was glad to read that your knees are feeling better too.

Shad: I know you are loving time with the grand-dog.

Laura: Don't let them pile to much on you; it becomes a slippery slope.

I am still working from home and happy about it. My shoulder is still hurting. I went to the ortho yesterday and they are getting me set up to get a MRI. Should be next week sometime.

The new job that DH was working is no longer. They just didn't have enough work to keep him right now. So we are going back to unemployment. However, him working that amount of time (6 weeks) we have to go back and reopen his other claim. It is not as easy as that sounds. I am on the phone with him almost every day with Unemployment. I can't get the same answer from anyone. Then someone from Unemployment says they see the issue and try to fix it and it just seems to make it work. We think we made headway yesterday.

They said they were sending a letter to the most previous employeer to confirm that he was let go due to no work and the job was only temporary. We talked with the Owner today to let him know to watch for the letter so he can respond quickly. He said he would. It will go back to his orginal claim as that one still has benefits left and the other job was not worked at long enough to file a claim for..

It all makes me tired. We have talked to our investor and if things drag to long we will pull some $$ out of his 401K.

Please say a prayer that things move quickly and the unemployment kicks in soon. I really don' want to take it out of savings or 401K. I have the budget set that we can go 6 weeks but I don't want to draw my savings down to much.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #41  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

Susie - I am sorry to hear you are still having issues with your shoulder. I think it's one of those body parts that has lingering recovery times. Very frustrating and since we tend to use our arms alot, we really notice being hindered by it. I have had friends who have had shoulder surgery and they all say recovery it tough. I hope someone can help you get better at last. That is a bummer about DH's job. I think given the current situation that the unemployment people are very overwhelmed. And nothing is consistent either so I'm sure the usual rules they apply to claims are all cock-eyed. So many of the people I know got laid off from their jobs with the Covid situation and then when they got called back, it was reduced hours making it very difficult to provide a living for their families. And then it makes me mad when lawmakers voted billions to bail out companies and are whining and complaining about extending benefits that people are lazy and it's discouraging them to go back to work. Don't they have eyes? So many people - at least around here CAN'T go back to work. The resorts and restaurants have to deal with less people so they have to let people go. People want to work and can't. Food banks are innundated with people who need help. But that's always the excuse - that we have a lazy, welfare society. Instead let's focus on ignoring a pandemic, beating our citizens, sending kids back to school when parents and teachers are very concerned - and there's no money for extra safety precautions. This country is in pretty lousy shape right now, I pray we can recover from it before it's too late. I hope they can get DH's claim straightened out but you may have to draw on some savings just in case you can't make other financial adjustments. It hurts because you have to take out more than you need to cover the taxes on the savings too.

I have noticed the price of things going up. Hair dresser is charging more - at least now we get a hair wash, style and cut but I got used to my hair getting longer so I don't feel I need to go quite as often. Food prices are going up. I got a loaf of sourdough bread at the Farmers Market on Monday. $6 for a loaf of bread. It's good bread but yikes. That's like $9 for a small loaf of my BILs favorite cranberry walnut bread at the local bakery. I would occasionally send a care package to my sister to cheer her up and include bread for BIL but at these prices it's getting to be too much. Everything goes up but your paycheck as they say.

I got my implants finally yesterday. 2 and a half hours in the dentist chair with him making ever so tiny adjustments filing the teeth to make them fit without any pressure points. Poor DH sat in the car waiting for all that time. The appointment ran about an hour longer than anticipated. I do like that the dentist is very thorough. The good news is that the teeth are pretty and look very good. They are also nice and white. My former teeth were a mix of crowns and natural teeth. Years of smoking and Coca cola, coffee and tea had them different shades. Because of the mix and timing of the crowns, I would never have teeth all the same color and they would never all consistently whiten to the same shade. So I smiled a lot but with my mouth closed. Now I can give a big smile. And it was WONDERFUL to be able to actually eat with my teeth in an chew properly. No loose partial roaming in my mouth trying to choke me. No food getting under the partial. No stomachaches because I could not chew my food properly. We stopped at my favorite Chinese buffet after the dentist. I sure did miss their food. They have done amazing things to open up after Covid. It is now cafeteria style. There is one hot table with about a dozen or so hot dishes along with white rice, noodles or fried rice sides. They don't have desserts any more but they were nothing to speak of anyway so don't miss them. There are only about 6 dishes that are cold salad type things but I like the hot food anyway. You point to the dish you want and the server puts some on the paper plate for you and gives you the food at the end of the cafeteria line. Single use sauce packets and plastic cutlery. Part of me cringes at all the plastic garbage waste we are producing in today's Covid world. The tables in the restaurant were carefully marked off - every other one for social distancing. AND this was the first place I have been at where the people handling your food actually WORE MASKS as well as the wait staff. We felt completely safe and I sure did appreciate the taste of my snow shrimp and peanut chicken.

I was not hungry for supper last night so made a sort of chicken ala king / pot pie type of hot dish that DH had over toasted bread and I just had some watermelon for supper myself. It's weird because all my teeth are artificial now so I don't "feel" the food. I can feel cold on my gums from the watermelon and I'm not sure I will be able to bite a popsicle without it conducting cold. After a year's time I am glad to be moving on from this. There is a tiny air gap on the left side of my teeth where air passes through. It's a very weird thing - not sure if eventually things will settle or if they will have to tweak things. Dentist said there may be some fine adjusting yet to come so be patient.

I went to physical therapy Monday and very happy to hear they are starting aquatic therapy the begging of August at the pool where we went swimming. It's individual appointments so not a water class. And afterward you can reserve a lap lane for swimming. DH will come with me - our membership is part of our supplemental Medicare. He will use the walking track and I will do a 45 minute therapy and then 20 minutes swimming. I am happy with the progress I am seeing in physical therapy. I thought I would need a new knee but I see that I need to strengthen the leg and these therapists are just the people I need to help me get there. It's been a crummy year, I am hopeful that MAYBE the 4th quarter may be looking good. As long as I don't get the covid and seasonal flu... I am sticking close to home. DH has the itch to go take pictures - I told him to go on an overnight trip if he wants to, this year I am not keen on travelling. Too many ifs. But I won't stop him and I hope next year will be better.

I'm doing bingo tonight outside on the patio at the winery for the shelter. It's outside so I feel comfortable. It's going to be a beautiful evening like the last time so should be nice.

Life is finally looking up. But I keep peeking and ready to dodge that other shoe that might just fall out of the sky at any given moment... Take care ladies.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #42  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Here we goWell Good Morning~Day~Night… Started this morning off with a pre-op covid test. Not having any symptoms but have to get it before any surgery. Test was very uncomfortable but tolerable. Having wrist surgery on Aug 6. This is from the break I had about 1.5 years ago. The tendon and nerve stay inflamed and cause pain and weakness at all times. I should have full mobility with wrist after and no pain. The cortisone shots no longer work on wrist, therefore surgery. At least they are now allowing one person to go with you into hospital now. My SIL Cindy is going with me.

The boys start school on Monday the 3rd. Sam is doing virtual at home rather than sending them. She just couldn’t take a chance on them getting covid and bringing it home to us decrepits (C and me). I am glad she chose that option as I was ready to dictate it. My house, my rules. Lol.

LAURA…tubing was a bust. There was no current, cloudy day, windy, chilly and water was low. We ended up either paddling or walking the entire 3 miles. Never going back to that particular tubing place again. White water rafting in Noblesville IN. The boys kept saying, can we just get out. Um no. What a day. Never so glad to get out of the river in my life. The boys do great with the masks and I think they understand for the most part why it is necessary. Bummer on the flat tire. Especially when you are in a hurry or about to go to work.

HAPPY…glad you got your implant teeth. How are they working out for you? Also glad to hear your knees are a bit better. Now just slow down and take it easy so you don’t re-injure or over extend them. Butterflies and wind chimes are two of my favorite things. DHs pictures he posts are absolutely beautiful. Love love love them.

SUSIE…sorry to hear about DHs new job. God has something better planned for him. Hope your shoulder is doing much better by now. Constant pain is so miserable.

SHADDIE…aww the grand pup. Hope you are enjoying chasing him around. Guess it is good exercise. Our garden is doing ok. We have no ripe tomatoes but the plants are loaded. We have had two cucumbers. Two pumpkins on the vine. And a couple of jalapenos.

CEEJ…hope you are doing well. How is your sis? Better copy and paste this…it always pastes crazy.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:45 PM   #43  

Morning all,
Anger doesn't even come into it today. Here we were hanging on by a thread to no new cases of Corona virus for over a month and two tarts from here decided to go to Melbourne for a shoplifting spree. Knowing that they couldn't get back to Brisbane without quarantine from there, they took a flight to Sydney and then on to Brisbane and falsified their itinerary documents. Melbourne is in the grip of a second wave and it is becoming disastrous down there. Sydney is also a hotspot of virus due to so many people refusing to social distance, refusing to mask, and doing the things they were asked not to do.
So these dregs of humanity (3 thereof) came back to Brisbane, went back to work and didn't feel to well - well two of them didn't anyway - but what did they do? Well it wasn't until 8 days later that they sought medical advice. One was not positive (she worked in a child care centre) and the other two were positive. One of them worked as a cleaner at a local school not 10 minutes from my place and the other worked in an aged care centre. So now all of the people they may have come into contact with are being rounded up and checked. So here we are again, having to watch where we go, monitor our temperatures, go for tests, and generally stay home once more. Personally I think a line up against a wall and a dose of lead poisoning would cure them once and for all. I don't advocate guns or the death penalty - but obviously there are some exceptions to that rule, There has been on positive test to come out of this so far, I'm betting there will be more to come.

So, seeing that I had arranged to have a birthday party at my place tomorrow, I had to ring all the people who are not from this area and are not affected and tell them not to come. Not because I suspect I have the virus here, but because they don't need the hassle of coming to a hotspot particularly since all but 3 of the attendees are no longer in the first (second or third for that matter) flush of youth.
Any way enough of my frustration and anger.

Not much else happening around here. Garden still growing and giving, painting still being done, car needs washing, and I am about to wash the wooden floors after the recent rains and the presence of dog racing around with dirty feet. I've already power washed down the patio out the back and cleaned up the table top. So I guess I really need to get back to my to do list again. Marriage may not have worked for me, but it would be nice to have someone helping out sometimes. Not that I am not capable of doing most things myself and dare I say it - as well if not better than most men.

Weather is just beautiful. Cool nights, warm days. Helps with a lot of whinges, whines and groans about old age and stiffness - well that is until you speak to my neighbour and find out all about her aches and pains.

Annie - sorry your holiday didn't work out as planned. Always the frustration when you have to change plans. Hope the surgery goes well on 6th August. Will be thinking of you.

Happy - glad to hear the teeth are back and smiling. That Chinese place sounds well organised. Like Chinese food I do.
Yes, prices are going up all over the place. Especially groceries here. It has come down somewhat from the original infestation of Covid-19 (price gouging at its very best) but still things are not where they used to be and they were high enough previously.

Susie - hope the PT on the shoulder is helping. It's horrible trying to get things done while in pain or trying to do things one handed. Sorry to hear that the DH's job is no longer. It's hard to get into the job seeking mood when you feel that nothing is going right. Hope you have sorted all the unemployment claims etc. that's always a hassle, sometimes those people in unemployment offices are so snooty and rude. I hope you don't have to pull anything out of your superannuation account. It's hard enough to try to save for retirement without having to use it before retirement. Over here we are getting financial advisors saying that if you pull $10G out of your super, you will have $100g less when you retire. I think that was based on the 40-50 age group.

Right, well that's it. I am off to take my frustrations out on the floor and then on the lawn - not that we can call it a lawn anymore, it is grass with weeds.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #44  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Howdie All.

Guess my Covid test was negative cause they said they would only call you if it was positive. Surgery on the 6th. Really not much going on here. Bout the same for everyone. Stay home. Mask up. Keep your distance. Wish everyone would comply. We are going to a Polo match this Friday evening. It will be a bit different. You stay in your car and watch. No getting out. Nothing. No stopping of the divits. You take your own beverage and dinner. I am taking iced tea and making a lettuce wrap sandwich. This should be interesting. SHADDIE…we have all the non-complyers too. Here is my thing. All the parents griping cause the kids are going back to school in person. But yet they take their kids to the grocery, Walmart, Wendy’s, McDonalds etc. But they cannot go to school? Sheesh. Glad Samantha is doing virtual school with the boys. Short post as I really am not doing a lot. The usual. Home, work, dinner, clean, laundry. The usual. Sam goes to the grocery for me. If it is not too hot I spend a bit of time out on the back patio in the evening watching all the nutty people.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Love yas.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I thought I would go to Battlefield to take nephew to doctor but when I called him this morning he said he was going to reschedule.
Every one is doing okay except for the little boys, great nephews. They both have had sore throat's and so have I. One tested positive for strep. I've been having hip pain which the doctor thinks I pulled a muscle. It sure has been painful, but better.

Annie
Sending you good vibes for the wrist surgery on the 6th.

Last edited by ceejay52; 08-05-2020 at 12:53 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote