Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #41

Good Afternoon! The sun teased all morning but is out shining brightly this afternoon. It’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood! We had another .01” of rain during the night. The new neighbor lady finally got rid of the fish house sitting in front of her house which makes it an even better day! I have been to both grocery stores today, one this morning and the other this afternoon. I wanted fresh strawberries but neither store had “good” ones, small and bright red. So I bought frozen this afternoon and will have them on angel food cake for supper tonight. I dropped off my snafu papers to the hospital and still don’t think the one is right. I left my papers there so will know more when I get them back. I wish the buyers would either use the credit card for everything or let me pay all with checks. The problem with that is some companies give shipping discounts if a credit card is used.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world today. Hope to see some more visitors here today! Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #2  

I have not fallen off the edge of the world, just forgotten. Today is going to be mid 80’s. We are supposed to get rain again tonight, ugh. I have a load of laundry in and a heating pad on my shoulder. It goes clear up into my neck and of course it’s on my left side so moving my arm to write or whatever hurts.

Nothing much going on this week. We have shopping this weekend but nothing else.

CeeJay: Dr appt went fine. He loved his hat, gave me a hug and even introduced me to the doctor he picked to take his place. I read an article that said you have to tackle ants around doors, outside and such to totally get rid of them. Sure hope you can get rid of them.

Jean: Poor Maddy. My girlfriend had to jump through hoops to get her passport simply because she took her maiden name back after her second divorce even though she was married/widowed. She’s still waiting on it. On the other hand, my SS is supposed to start this month and they still don’t have it settled. We are having spaghetti tonight, but Jack eats Prego sauce, but it is too sweet for me so I use all our saucepans using two kinds of pasta, (wheat and regular,) and two kinds of sauces. The greeters are always nice in my opinion. I find it sad that 70 yr olds are having to stand on their feet for hours cashiering, etc just to make enough money to bulk up insufficient SS, yet we are feeding, housing, etc illegals by the hundreds.

Everyone have a good Wednesday.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I've been busy the past couple of days. Sunday was mothers day. I got to spend time with my sis and one of her sons. Our baby is growing. She's 8 weeks old now.
Monday I mowed the lawn and yesterday I cut the over grown bushes in front down to the nub. I like the looks of those little round bushes.
I need to pay some bills
Ya'll have a good day
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #4  

Good morning. Going to be another hot sticky day here as it rained the majority of last night. I have a headache this morning so don’t know how much I will get done. I thought this meds thing was all figured out but now not so sure. We’ll have to see what happens the next week or so.

I’m going to fix taco salad for dinner tonight. I had Jack pick up what I needed from the store yesterday. I like black olives on mine and he came home with this big can. Guess it was all they had. I make my own shells, but to avoid the carbs I don’t eat it, just the “interior” I put lots of veg in too where Jack eats his with meat, onions, cheese, beans and taco sauce.

I have two graduates this year, but got them just Target cards. I figure if they go away to school they can get stuff for their dorm, if not they can buy clothes or whatever. I need to get the cards this weekend. I only have one screwy announcement so far. The other one hasn’t come yet, but she asked for my address. I called the one screwy because it was a card with a casually dressed picture on both sides and the front just said where she was graduating from and they were having a dessert party for her. Phooey on all this modern times stuff. I like the more formal announcements.

CeeJay: Sounds like your yard is all tip top now. Can’t believe the baby is already 2 months old.

Jack’s getting ready to leave for work so better tell him good bye. Have a nice day.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #5  

Morning
I've been awake since 6 this morning. I have no idea why unless it's not as cool as I would like for it to be in the house. I'm trying to contact the company that came out last fall to see if they have scheduled me for an air conditioning cleaning also. It got a little warm in the house yesterday at 80 degree's. . Ii turned it off and when night fall came turned it back on. The house has cooled down to 73 which is more tolerable. My honest opinion is that it is low on freon. The guys where I worked taught me how to look for things like this.
We've had sunshine for three days in a row. I'm loving it.
Will be going back to PF today.
Only lost a 1/2 pound at weigh in.

GMA
Yum on the taco salad. I've been eating t.v. dinners and salads. don't like to cook in the warmer weather.

Jean
I love angel food cake and strawberries. I have the strawberries but may go get some of those little round cakes to have with them. The cake would be frowned upon but I didn't get all these pounds at once either.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the breeze is blowing, it’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood! I have the sliding doors open and the birds are chirping away outside. The neighborhood is quiet at the moment; no one is mowing and that’s nice. This morning was my once a month coffee date so needless to say I’ve accomplished nothing at home. I take that back, I just did some shopping on Amazon for Zowie’s birthday next week. The local WM leaves a lot to be desired for birthday shopping.

“Gma,” I hope your shoulder is feeling better today. Bob mentioned he thought the weather was going to change because his knee was achey this noon. Hope your SS gets straightened out soon. I’m convinced the government’s right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing. It’s always someone else’s job or not my fault! I have a shirt tail relative who put a blanket high school graduation invitee on FB, then sent me a msg asking if I was coming. They live in another state and the kid wouldn’t know me from a hole in the ground plus it’s been many years since I saw his mother. What really irritates me are the printed thank yous on the gift table! I keep hinting to my grandkids it would be nice to get a hand written note in the mail! :?

Ceejay, it’s nice that you live close enough to your sister, nephew, and his family so you can watch the baby grow up. She is at a cute stage. Our house was warm last night too. We had the sliding doors open in the evening but I should have opened the bedroom window a crack. It is supposed to cool off again and storms are predicted for tomorrow night through the weekend. The weathermen each have a guess at how much rain we will get and when. A 1/2# gone is good! Much better than on the plus side! I can eat the angel food cake by itself but it’s much better with the strawberries!

Not much else is newsy from my corner of the world. Hope you are enjoying a nice day!
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #7  

Sigh, I did get in touch with the service repair man this morning and they came out almost immediately. My a.c. unit has died after 20 something years. I have the window open so it's not to bad in the house. We are supposed to get storms this week end. I felt for sis this morning and the news. I told her I could help pay for it and she said no. We have to get a new unit.
I'm going to start over again on my diet and take all the potions as I call them I really think they help. I've been on this diet for 2 months and only have lost 7 pounds but for me that is good. I'm also going to log my food whether good or bad.
It is absolutely beautiful today.

Jean
Yes, It is nice to be near my sis and her family. I've gotten to know her grown children and grand children.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #8  

Good Morning! It’s another windy, wet, and gloomy morning in my neighborhood today. We had an ongoing lightning show during the night from around midnight until I last looked at the clock at 4 am. I know that film producers go to Arizona to film them for movies but they should have been here last night. I don’t ever remember one after another like last night. When it started I thought someone had pulled into the neighbor’s driveway with their bright lights on. More storms are predicted for later so I’m hoping Maddy’s game is postponed. I have laundry in the washer and the dishwasher is doing it's job. I need to defur the furniture and think I will call it good for this morning. I will pick up the gift shop money after lunch and stop by the post office. The substitute idiot mailman literally crammed the large cardboard photo envelope in our large mailbox far enough so the door wouldn’t close; of course one side of the folder was bent over. Lucky for him the ugly 8x10 photo wasn’t damaged. Our regular guy would have exerted the effort to put it in the front door. That is my rant for the day, but can’t anyone do their job right any more?!

Ceejay, I’m sorry about the death of your air conditioner. I suppose you would use that more than the furnace. The lifetime of a new unit is nowhere near that but should be more efficient for you. We have always replaced both the furnace and air conditioner at the same time; I’m sure we use more heating than cooling. I opened the bedroom windows a crack last night; it was warm and stuffy when I went upstairs for bed. First time this spring! Losing seven pounds is nothing to sneeze at, you have done well! Trying to cut back on food and eating healthy is hard!

I need to get the vacuum revved up before I forget what was next on my to do list. Hope you enjoy a fantastic Friday! If you have sunshine, please send some my way!

Last edited by Jean; 05-17-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #9  

Morning
Yesterday afternoon was a bit hot in the house but that's okay. I can always go to my sissy if I need to. However I will not be turning on the oven for any reason.
I've been cleaning up the kitchen this morning and will put a load of clothes in the washer soon. I also want to clean up the living room this morning.
Not much else is going on. Another beautiful day.
I used an extra fan last night in the bedroom and slept really well. I thought I'd be hot.

Jean
The repairman suggested that we replace the heating unit also. I'm not sure what sis will do. It's going to be expensive.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #10  

Good morning. It is ☀️ and 80 here already. Supposed to be near 90 today so we were out and back home by 10. Jack went at 7:30 and got his hair cut then when he got back we headed out to Fresh Market to get meat, UPS store to drop off a return to QVC, Krogers for oj and sugar free gatorade and then back home. We have most of the lights dim and the fans and ac on.

They have finally released several Dick Francis books to Kindle so I bought them all and am enjoying them. My shoulder has been giving me trouble so I can’t knit much. I should be cleaning house but it will survive until next week when nothing is going on. I do have nail appt on Monday and haircut and color on Friday. So today and tomorrow is being lazy except for getting groceries tomorrow.

CeeJay: Oh dear, what a time for it to go kaput. We had ours go out about 6 yrs ago and decided to get floor unit ACs instead of replacing. The unit they put in was too small for the square footage and we were told by more than one guy that to put one in the right size, all the vent stuff would have to be replaced to accommodate it, plus they suggested a new combo unit. Would have cost nearly 10 grand. We said no thanks. Since it is just the two of us we use fans/ceiling fans to circulate and only turn on the unit where we are. Works fine for us. Hopefully it won’t be too much for you. I am looking forward to getting some nice ripe tomatoes with summer coming on and canteloupe.

Jean: I’ve always wondered why weather changes effect arthritis and such. My friend in North Dakota says they’re expecting snow tomorrow. Has Maddy been able to get her license, etc replaced? I got a verification letter a week and a half ago saying my SS was a certain amount, which was only mine. Well, two days ago I get another letter telling me what my spousal amount would be. The thing is, my online account says I am getting zero, so it’s not even updated. The two amounts added together are correct though, but now I am waiting to get refunded my overpay on my Medicare. It’s two months worth. Sheesh!

Everyone have a great weekend.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #11  

It's been warm but not hot today so it's been bearable on the inside. Much nicer on the outside so I'v e been cutting up some brush to bag and put in the garbage this week. It may take me awhile to do this.
We are currently under a severe thunderstorm and tornado watch. I don't like this kind of weather. We do need some rain.
Sis is going to get some estimates before choosing which air conditioning unit she will get. I can't blame her.
I've decided that I'm going to bow out of the MRC program. It's is a great program but I can't afford all these extras they want to push on you
The storm is almost here. I'll be back later.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! We got up to another 1/3” rain we don’t need, the sun came out mid morning, and now the clouds have moved in. Rain is predicted for tonight. I guess if we didn’t have changing weather to keep us on the alert life would be pretty boring. My excitement for the day was a bird pooping on my clean shirt when I was outside picking leaves out of my flower pots. I didn’t realize the wind had blown during the night, lots of twigs and leaves in the yard again. Bob had to usher at a funeral this morning and I passed on going. The lady was 93 and Bob said there weren’t many there besides family. He sings in church tomorrow and ushers at another funeral on Monday. That will be a big one only because the lady was from a farm family and the area farmers all attend. There are four sons, one who is local but doesn’t farm. I will go to that one. I’ve done two loads of laundry but otherwise have been pretty lazy today.

Ceejay, I don’t remember for sure but think our furnace and air conditioner were around $7000 three years ago this fall. The guy told us the lifetime is about ten years now. Our last one lasted around 15. We replaced both then because we added on to the house and the existing furnace wasn’t large enough. They don’t make things to last like they used to that’s for sure.

“Gma,” a few days ago you mentioned reading a mystery (I think) series but didn’t say who the author was. Do you remember who you were talking about? I’m reading a Harry Bosch book now. It is boring in parts, then gets perked up again. I like Linda Castillo’s Amish books but our library doesn’t have all of her books. I need another Eve Dallas story! My problem with her is I have trouble putting the book down until I finish it. I forgot to ask so I don’t know if Maddy got her permit back yet or not. She has so many friends with licenses that she has no desire to drive. She wanted to go to DQ after her game last night. The kid who waited on us is in show choir with her, very polite young man. After we ate we were just visiting and four girls came in with a ballon and basket of different kinds of candy; it turned out it was his birthday. Of course Maddy had to go sing Happy Birthday with the other girls. She had show choir tryouts this past week with practices every day after school. Her soccer coach wasn’t happy with her but she did play last night. Different parents are unhappy with the coach because she hasn’t taught the girls any finesse (?) plays; she is a college student and plays soccer for the local college so you would think she would know something. Why is it if we owe the government money they want it right now but it doesn’t work that way when they made the mistake and owe us.

Bob thinks there aren’t enough strawberries for both of us so guess I am elected to go get more. He offered to clean them if I would so I am off to the store! Enjoy the rest of a super Saturday!
Old 05-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! It’s another wet (1/2+” more), cold, gloomy day in my corner of the world. I feel like I should have webbed feet! Church was ok this morning. There were no children so skipped the children’s sermon and we were done early. Bob grilled steaks for lunch, I’ve changed clothes, read the Sunday paper, and that has been my day so far. I need to clear off the island next. We had hummingbirds arrive this morning! I was beginning to think we might not see any because they are so late. They were probably waiting for warmer weather!

The police department just removed 51 cats and dogs from a home, and arrested three women for animal neglect. The local vet has them hoping to work with them so they can be adopted. People are donating supplies for their care. The tv news had a video of the living room; the guys put on hazmat suits to go inside and the house has been tagged as unlivable. Not sure where the women are now. The minor child was put in foster care. Sad and so STUPID!

I just remembered I need to go through my card catalog and make out an order for the gift shop. We sell mostly sympathy cards and a few birthday cards. I’m thinking about blank cards because the company hasn’t changed their designs for a couple years. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #14  

Jean
Yikes on the police removing 51 cats from a persons home. That is disgusting.
Did you order the cards?

I've been mowing the lawn today and finished before the next round of rain that is suppose to come in very soon. I still need to weed eat but I'm waiting to do this when the new spool of string comes in next week..
I have a mole in the front yard and now he's found his way to the new mulch around the tree. He/it keeps knocking over the border.
My cousin, Jack, called me this morning to verify what time my oldest sis will be here. He and his wife have some vacation coming up soon. Mainly to go to their grandchildren's college graduations. He was in the Air Force and his grandchildren are following suit in joining the military. One grand daughter is going to pilot school Army. She wants to fly helicopters and a grand son will be graduating from "jump" school as he calls it. He's learning how to jump out of the planes.Think he said he was in the Air Force also.
The house was really nice and cool this morning. It was 51 outside when I woke up at 6.30. I can't understand why I'm waking up this early when I usually sleep till 8 or 8.30.
Think I'm going to take my shower early and get something to eat. Doing better with my food today.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! Another cold, very windy, and very wet day in my neighborhood. Church counting went better than I expected this morning. I had to take the money to the bank; we have a noisy offering to support a missionary and some whizzo put in four Canadian quarters. Our machine counted them but the bank machine spit them out. I just tell the bank teller to “fix” the deposit slips whichever way they need to go. I ordered a horse shirt for Zowie; medium size and purple. It came in a small and black. I tried to print the return label and Amazon said to take it to the local store and they would scan the return label from my phone. I told the guy I’d just as soon print my own labels and he tried to convince me this way is faster. I had ordered one last week and it was very thin fabric and cheap looking as well as being too small. When I jumped through the hoops to print the return label Amazon said not to return it. Zowie is supposed to have a soccer game today but Jason said it was raining up there too. They still hadn’t cancelled the game but guess we aren’t going. I need to wrap Zowie’s gifts just in case we end up going to the game. If it is cancelled as we go, we can go out to eat with them.

Ceejay, I do have my card order ready to go. My “boss” has to fax the order because we use the gift shop credit card in order to get reduced shipping. Bob mowed our yard yesterday after we got home from church. With all our rain it will grow fast! With the wind we have a lot of leaves down. The hard rain and wind have been hard on my flowers. I admire anyone who joins the military with the way the world situation is nowadays. Maybe you are waking up earlier because it is lighter earlier. I’d just as soon get up early and get my “to do” list done in the morning. Tomorrow is my day to work in the gift shop so won’t get anything done at home.

I need to clean strawberries and wash a few serving dishes. Today seems like Monday since we counted church money this morning. It will be the same next week with Monday being Memorial Day. I will be confused all week! So what else is new?! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 05-21-2019 at 03:55 PM.