Old 06-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! The humidity has dropped considerably, sunny, and a beautiful day. The weatherman has warned that we may have a storm tonight. Sioux City area got hit last Friday night; lost power in part of the city and lots of tree damage. Beth didn't have either at her house. I finally got to do the last two weeks of posting at church this afternoon. There are still some missing account numbers and I don't know how to fix that so left the computer gal a note.

"Gma," I'm sorry about your painful hand. I hope it is better. You are very generous to help someone with grocery money. I remember the lean years and taking a calculator to the grocery store. We never went without but some weeks were pretty skimpy. I'm waiting to hear if my mom has been released from the hospital, or not. I've been told it is the beginning of one health challenge after another when she fell in January. This is the third fall and third trip to the hospital for her.

Susan, it's nice to see you today. It seems like all the health articles promote some sort of exercise, or just plain to keep moving as part of staying healthy. I know I have more energy when I get my walking in. I must admit I have been lax this summer. I question whether I want to be in crowds any more. There are too many crazy people running loose! I am concerned that my stepmom may be headed for the nursing home but haven't heard anything yet.

Bob is home so need to think about supper. Something on the grill sounds good since I hadn't planned to cook for a few days. Hope you all enjoyed a terrific Tuesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon! A sunny warm day in my neighborhood, heading up to 90 this afternoon. I've been doing laundry and sorting through my stash of greeting and note cards. I buy cards when I don't need them and needed to sort them by birthday, sympathy, etc. They are so expensive any more, that I found a "bundle" of cards that I bought for Bob's customers. I had to call my computer guy this morning, as the printer was only getting the message to print a half sheet. I would like to put a whammy hex on anyone coming up with a new program before I am too old to use a computer any more! At least I haven't had to take it to the store each time there is a glitch. My stepmom is back in her assisted living place; she has to wear the brace six weeks day and night. It straps around her waist and then has a hinged metal piece going down to above her knee. No crossing her legs either. She can't get her slacks on, so her daughter is shopping for what we used to call cotton house dresses. I wonder if there is such a thing any more. Not much else newsy from me today. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #18  

Good morning, ladies! Its raining cats and dogs right now.

I have Glory Bee today so I hope it lets up soon. I have a ton of stuff to take today - chopped salad, my sewing, and my "birthday" gift. We decided instead of giving each other presents on our birthday, we'd do it once a year in June by making something. We bring it in a brown paper bag and then have a Chinese auction.

Tomorrow I have my bone density test and next week an eye exam for the research study I am in.

Donna, you are such a kind person to help someone with grocery money. One time when we were first married we ran out of money because my husband hadn't recorded a check he wrote in the register. My dad would have loaned me money but we were too ashamed to ask. For a week we survived on bread, eggs, potatoes and popcorn.

Jean, they have been a long time getting the computer straightened out at church. Sorry about your printer problems.

Have a fun day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #19  

Good morning ladies. My post yesterday disappeared into cyberspace somewhere so I must have done something wrong. I went out to unlock the gate for UPS this morning and it sure is sticky. I feel sorry for Jack having to work out in this mess.

I bought some makeup from Clinique and it arrived yesterday. I sure do like it and may change to their brand even though it is more expensive. One of the things I got was a perfume sample and I love it so may buy it and try it. It's different than most of the fragrances I buy but it still isn't overpowering and knock you down when you walk past me. I hate women that bathe in strong perfume. I imagine that is hard for you Susan.

I have a zippered bag I bought from QVC that should come today. It is a travel bag for jewelry. I looked all over the place for something portable that I can take my jewelry in for the cruises and most of the stuff was either too big or one of those roll up things and wouldn't hold a couple weeks of jewelry. This fit the bill and it is soft sided too. It should be here today. Can't say the color is great as it is this shiny purple, but no one is going to see it so it doesn't matter how ugly it is. I want it for function.

I am starting the baby gifts today as I got the yarn yesterday. The color is brighter than I wanted, but it will still be ok for a baby girl. I included the two pattern pictures and the yarn color. It is brighter than the color on the computer, more a true peach even though it says the color is seashell. Her baby is due in October so I need to get going on the blanket. I don't know how my hand is going to hold up though as it still is so very stiff.

Jean: I am so sorry about your mom. I hope she gets better real soon. Her daughter should look for the kind that zip up the front. They might be easier for her to get on. If I were here I would look online. I know you can still buy the ugly things for plus sized women because I have seen them. I know you must be pulling your hair out with the computer issues. Our old printer here at the house would not print wirelessly and it drove me nuts until we bought a new one that works properly. The old one went into Jack's office and he has it connected to his laptop.

Susan: Ok explain a Chinese auction. Sounds like fun! I hope you have a great time. Jack and I didn't have two pennies to rub together for decades and when we moved down here and our finances tripled, I felt God had given us a better life and with that I should be thankful and share. It is something deep in my heart that I just do stuff for people who need it. I never give stuff to people begging on the street as most of them are con artists, but have done a bunch of stuff when police officers get killed for their families, one family here with 10 children got burned out of their home and I gave them money, stuff like that. We had a family here that needed money to build a bedroom for their little girl who was handicapped. They were going to build it in the garage as she had to be carried upstairs to her room as it was. I went to their gofund and made a donation and two days later the news reported the husband, who was their sole support, was killed in a car accident!!! I cried for them and went back and made another donation. I see people on the side of the road with broken down cars or people walking home with groceries and want to stop because many a time that was us. I don't because I am afraid when I am alone to do something like that in this city so I just pray as I am driving that God will help them. It's hard to explain my need to do this. I just feel strongly about it.

Well gals, I need to get going and get started on the hat I think. It will take less time. I have to go back and watch a video on how to do I-cord though as it has been a long time since I made them. Have a great day today!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby blanket.jpg (69.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bonnet.jpg (33.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg seashell.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #20  

Good Morning! I see the "worst" President in U. S. history is blabbing on tv, so turned him off right now! It was 65 degrees this morning, sunny, and is a beautiful day so far. I've been to the grocery store and had my nails done. I got a text that Ian's game was changed from tomorrow night to tonight so will head up the road after lunch. Bob is planning on a tractor ride Saturday around his hometown and rural Sioux City. He will have to haul his tractor there, rather than drive it. The game tonight will make that much easier for him.

Susan, send some rain (no wind) our way. We are rapidly getting dry. Part of the problem at church is the main computer is a new one, and all the rest use it to function. I can't get into my program unless it is turned on. Of course they put in Windows 10, and the regulars are having challenges right and left. My part went ok and I hope next Monday does as well. I have been known to leave notes if I finish before the office opens. Have fun at Glory Bee. I hope you get a nice gift!

"Gma," are you making the different designs in the baby blanket? It is really pretty. I wonder if babies wear bonnets any more? Funny thing is I was just in a discussion about today's babies not wearing the high top baby shoes like our kids did. I talked to my stepmom this morning. She isn't allowed to walk anywhere alone right now which is good. The dislocated hip is the one she has had replaced twice. She feels bad about us cancelling our trip, and I told her we wouldn't have it any other way. The hotel and boat place refunded the deposits so that was nice. Enjoy your new makeup and perfume; I would like to do a makeup session in the department store but never felt I had the time. I have used Estée Lauder perfume and sample makeup before, expensive but I liked it.

Maggie, what are you up to these days?

It is cool enough I made a casserole for lunch and Bob should be home soon. Hope you all enjoy another nice day.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #21  

Another hot and sticky day here. It is overcast so don't know if we are going to get rain or not. I hope not today as we have a big delivery that will have to sit until Jack gets home as it is too heavy for me to bring into the house and the free shipping is curbside only.

I finished the baby bonnet yesterday. I hope she likes it. I have to block it sometime today and then it will be totally done. It was pretty easy to do actually. The I-cord was no problem either. I just checked a video and it came right back to me. I have started the blanket, but it will be a lot slower going.

I didn't get much rest last night as my knees and hips were hurting so will probably catch a nap this morning before they call about the delivery. At least I hope they will call. It is being delivered by a semi so hopefully they don't try and pull completely in or they're never going to get out of here. I went ahead and dressed early just in case I fall asleep and they just show up.

Jean: Yes, I am making the blanket with the little designs on it. It is really easy you just follow a chart for each block. The designs are a different stitch than what is around it and that is how it shows up so well on the blanket. You just have to be careful about following the charts. Oh my, I didn't know your mom had that hip replaced and more than once. I hope it heals up well for her and she will be ok. Hope the game went ok and Bob has fun on his tractor ride. I think Jack is going to cook out tomorrow unless he thinks it is too hot. We haven't even gotten to use our new patio set. It went from too chilly right to very hot. The humidity is what keeps you indoors though not the heat. We have a big tree and umbrella that provides shade but you walk outside and sweat so who needs that while you're trying to enjoy a meal?

Everyone have a good weekend. I am just doing housework this weekend and we are going to the mall on Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eryns hat.jpg (28.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #22  

Good Morning! It's a cool sunny day in my corner of the world. I think the weather person is confused! We were supposed to be in the 90s again and it's only 77 with very low humidity. I wore jeans to Ian's game last night, and went to the car for a sweatshirt. They were ahead 14-4 going into the 5th inning and the other team managed to get 7 runners in. Ian had some nice hits and plays on 3rd base; his team won 15-11. It was midnight when we got home. This morning I've been sorting through "stuff" in the computer room and have a Good Will bag almost full. Why I even think about saving some things is beyond me.

"Gma," so tell all! What kind of delivery are you expecting today? I hope it arrives in good condition, and the rain holds off. May your pain be gone and you get a nap in this afternoon. The bonnet turned out so nice. The blanket design being easy is easy for you to say to a non-knitter. It will be lovely I'm sure. Like Bob said, we don't understand how a metal (?) hip would come apart unless the brace is protecting muscles that hold it in place. I just hope my stepmom won't have to wear the brace for the rest of her life. We'll see in six weeks I guess.

We are having leftovers for lunch today. I need to clean out the fridge and wash the shelves and drawers. My shelves are glass so I can see all the smudges and drips even though I try to wipe things off before I put them away. Hope you all enjoy a nice day today!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #23  

Jean: This is what the truck brought today. It will give me more freedom on the cruises and Jack won't have to push me in a wheelchair. The seat, arms, battery and basket all come off so it can be loaded and unloaded in the trunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-24-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #24  

"Gma," what a wonderful idea for you, and for Jack too! I didn't mean to be snoopy. I thought sure you were getting furniture of some sort.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #25  

Good Morning! Hot and humid in my corner of the world this morning. Bob left about 6:30 this morning and I have no idea what time he will be home. It's an hour to wherever the truck and trailer are parked, and he didn't know how long the ride was to be. Thunderstorms are still in the forecast for this afternoon but right now there isn't a cloud in sight. I've changed the sheets and washed a couple loads of laundry. Lots of projects around here but no motivation forthcoming. Beth is at the cabin, Jason plans to come tomorrow, so we will most likely go up tomorrow too. I have something smeared on my glasses, and nothing I have tried will get it off. I really notice it if the light is bright and just the right angle.

I need to unload the dishwasher and think about something for lunch. Have a nice day and enjoy!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #26  

Hot and sticky here today and clouding up like rain, but not rain so far.

We went to the mall this morning to try out the scooter and see how it would do. The thing really goes I have to say that for it. It is going to work fine. We had decided to treat ourselves to lunch at Cheesecake Factory, but went before they opened up at 11 and ended up at JC Penney as I knew they were having a big sale. We got Jack 5 new outfits of shorts and shirts and one extra button down tropical style shirt I saw and loved. Of course we went past the handbags and Jack and his big mouth said something to the effect that such and such handbag would be great for the cruise. I hadn't even seen it so I stopped and backed up and loved it so I bought it. I told him he should keep his mouth shut from now on! We saved over $300 with discounts, coupons and my savings using my Penney credit card. I bought him these orange sherbet colored shorts and kept finding great shirts and none were in his size. I finally found a gray shirt that will go with them. He bought boring colors like olive green, gray and blue and I got the orange and bought him these denim blue and white striped shorts that reminded me of my grandma's dish towels! I got him this great shirt to go with them in a solid color. I let him get a couple conservative golf shirts but bought a tshirt that had a black pocket, but the shirt was this wild gray design on it to go with the orange shorts.

I bought a bottle of that perfume from Clinique I had the sample of and really like it. It is flowery but kind of citrusy smelling too. I bought the smallest one they had in case I hated it. One thing with Clinique if you don't like something you can take what is left back or send it back if you bought it online no questions asked.

Jean: You weren't being nosy, I just didn't say originally because it wasn't very exciting to say I bought a mobility scooter! One of the great things about this one is it comes apart. The battery comes out, the basket comes off, the seat comes off, the arms come out of the seat and the base comes apart in 2 pieces and the handle folds down flat against the front base. Makes it easy to get into a trunk. Gail suggested a license plate so I went looking to see what I could find and ordered one. It is a white plastic plate with aqua lettering. The top says, "Nonny's Boys" and then beneath that is a pair of large flip flops with Thomas's name and smaller flip flops with Jackson's name. I thought it fit my cruise theme. I will put it on the front of the basket with zip ties I think. I will take a picture once it gets here. I use the hand sanitizer to clean my glasses with a tshirt or soft towel. Seems to work for me. Did you see where one of the malls in WVa had people stuck in it because of the flooding? I guess they had to build a temporary road to get them out. I guess if you have to be stuck somewhere a mall is nice unless the electricity was out then it would be hotter than hades in there.

Everyone have a nice Saturday. We are grilling out tomorrow and that is it!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #27  

Hey everyone! Jack is asleep after grilling out in the extreme heat (96) today. I cleaned up everything after we ate and have the dwasher going now and it is so quiet you don't even know it is on except for the red light on the floor indicating it is on.

I sat and cleaned one of our fans today that won't come apart. It didn't seem to be pulling much air and it was pretty dirty. It is working much better now. I used a Swiffer duster and a knife to clean out the tufts of stuff that gathers. I don't know how Susan keeps her house clean enough to keep her asthma at bay as everything sure seems to collect dust.

I washed all of Jack's new clothes, dried them and hung them up. He now has 5 complete new outfits to wear and some of the shirts and shorts can be interchangeable with what he already had.

I have a bunch of stuff coming from Penneys that I ordered online. I got some ladies thin t shirts for $3 apiece so got 4 of those to wear on really hot days. I wear footies in the house all the time so bought some of those that were on sale and a few other things. I saved another couple hundred dollars as I had a 25% off coupon, bought some of the stuff on clearance, all was discounted and I had 2 $10 rewards I used.

I need to get a book for the baby shower as I got the invitation yesterday and in it was a tiny card saying instead of buying a card, buy a book for the baby and write your name inside. I thought that was a great idea. I had to RSVP no that I couldn't come as it is out in California, but said I would ship stuff to either her mom or sister so they could take it to the shower. I am almost done with the border on the bottom of the blanket so I can start on the blocks now.

We upgraded our room yesterday for the cruise next year. It gives us a lot of space like our grand suite did, but it is a loft suite so it is two floors. It has two bathrooms and the downstairs one is a shower so I have my own shower without having to try and get into their tubs, which last cruise I couldn't do. It is more expensive, but at least I can shower and now have to just wash up and then wash my hair in the tub like I did at Thanksgiving. I don't know if I will be able to sleep in the bed and it is upstairs but there is a couch that is a bed that I could pull out if need be and sit up to sleep with my legs out. One of the things I love about the new ship is the color scheme. I found a photo of the cabin we booked and I love the grays, aquas and lavenders.

I guess I should go back to working on my blanket while Jack is sleeping. Have a nice afternoon and hope next week is a great one for you. I have to go and get my nails done tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crown loft.jpg (29.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #28  

Good Evening! We spent a nice day at the cabin with Beth, Jason, and Kolby. The wind was from the west so made it nice for us to sit outside. It has cooled off enough to have the sliding doors open and someone has a barking dog which is VERY annoying. I tried to talk Bob into driving around the block to see if he can find it but it finally quit. Some people are so inconsiderate!

"Gma," Jack sounds just like Bob. I don't get him to clothes shop very often, but when he does, he buys a lot. Bob doesn't like to try clothes on either, but has learned that sizes vary so much. I like the idea of the license plate for your scooter. Cute idea! Your room for the cruise looks pretty snazzy! I saw the picture of your new purse and really like it!

I have counting tomorrow morning early; hope I can post without any problem. The gift shop was closed for two days last week so I know there won't be much there but will do it anyway. I need to put my dishes away and head for bed. Hope your all enjoy a nice Monday!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #29  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, a breeze is blowing leaves on the trees, the grass is turning brown, and it's 82 degrees outside. The promised rain never happened and we could sure some. Church counting went ok this morning but took longer because of Bible School registration and offering last week. The gift shop was skimpy as I knew it would be. They are planning to move the coffee shop and gift shop the end of July or first of August. I am not looking forward to that since the "front" main hospital door will now be in the back and that parking lot connects with a clinic plus a specialty clinic plus the chemo department. It's crazy back there! I'd like to meet the idiot who designed that setup. I made the gift shop deposit, ran into Walgreens after one thing and came out with ONE thing, then dropped checks off at the hospital. Now I need to finish up my paperwork and put the books away for another week. It will be closed on the 4th so another skimpy deposit probably. Bob has a board meeting at 5, and will have some sort of food there so no cooking for me.

Hope you have had a nice day and done something fun.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #30  

Good morning! We had a lot of rain yesterday but looks like maybe it moved on through. I think they're expecting more this weekend though and though the rain cooled things off this afternoon, it's going to climb back into the 90's today and stay there.

We've decided to take off this weekend so we are leaving Friday and going to St Louis. We have reservations for a riverboat dinner cruise Friday night, then Saturday shopping at their big outlet mall and Sunday we're taking a tour of the Budweiser brewery, which includes getting to go down and see the Clydesdales. I don't drink beer ever, but find bottling and how stuff is made interesting so we're going to give it a go. We'll come back on Monday.

Going out this morning and getting my nails and toes done and do some shopping at Walmart. I have to get wrapping paper and such for the baby shower.

Jean: We have a convoluted set up at our hospital here too. There are two buildings that are dr offices and testing places, pharmacy, a pizza place, weight loss center, mammogram center, parking lot and garage and the hospital. If you don't arrive in the middle of the night there is no parking close by. They also have a helipad which takes up a whole parking lot. I'm glad I'm not having to visit there now that all my surgeries are over. Jack's surgery will probably be done at a surgical clinic and if not then not the hospital we use close by as he doesn't use St Francis. Hope you found something besides popcorn for dinner. I know that is your go to when you're alone. 😄😄

Maggie we are hoping you are doing well.

Everyone have a great day. I need to get a move on.