Old 01-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Default Steel Magnolias ~ #99

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Happy New Year Magnolias. We watched some of the Rose Bowl parade this morning and taped the rest of it to watch later. Watching it sure gave me memories of the times I marched in parades with the Pep Club I was in wearing my little short outfit. We sure had fun. I want to get back to about 20 pounds or so heavier than that size I was back then. I only have a 100 pounds to lose.

We went to the range to test fire a gun for our friend that owns the gun shop. It belongs to one of his sons and Will was able to find out the problem so he told him what to do when we took the gun back.

The snow is still on the ground but melting some and will melt more for the temps are to climb up each day for awhile.

I am actually pleased to be back on my “drink program.” Being off of it I put on pounds that I have to take off again which is a bummer but I will not let it get to me or stop me. This is a new year and I am starting over and having 3 days of drinks only. I made a large container of veggie broth and will have that when needed. I absolutely had too much of a holiday and am ready to get back to the business of losing. It is 3:23 pm and today so far I have had one drink and a cup of broth and feel fine.

JEAN It is sad that the Blue Jays chase off the Cardinals. Our night last was quiet with just one person popped a couple of fire crackers.

DONNA FAYE I hope your new shoes fit nicely.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #2  

Football is on the TV once again -- John Deere green and yellow uniforms vs. burgundy and gold. At least Iowa has decent colors even if they can't play very well.

"Gma," I hope the new shoes will work for you. I thought my feet had really grown but think all clothing sizes have changed. I wore a 71/2 for years, now all or a sudden an 81/2 or 9 depending on the style. The Dyson animal is not light. I carry it up and down stairs by setting it down every two or three steps. It's a pain! I watched a Shark infomercial and they claim to be light weight but I didn't check to see one vs the other. I like an easy to use extension hose, and haven't found a good one yet. Yup, the orange and pink game is the one Bob watched! He really doesn't have a favorite team, just likes to watch a good game.

Maggie, did you see on the news where a child shot his mother in a WM store? She had a loaded gun in a new purse especially designed for a concealed gun, and the little boy was in the child's seat in the cart with her purse within reach. How sad! Good job to get back on your drinking program! That didn't sound right, but I hope you know what I meant.

The dryer should be done with a load of towels. When I fold them and put them away, I am going to double check my new calendar to make sure I have important dates entered. I also have a purse calendar I need to fill in. Enjoy the rest of your evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #3  

Good morning all. Not too bad temp wise this morning. My hormones or lack there of has been causing a lot of hot flashes so I wake up with cold feet and wet neck from sweating.

Today more football. I have to say I am happy that FSU got their hats handed to them and then the were disgraceful and walked off the field without congratulating the winners. Also Bama lost, which isn't a bad thing either. I will be glad when the whole thing is over and done with.

Nothing on the agenda for me today. Jack wants to go and get his hair cut today and Imhave a hair appt tomorrow. I need it as I feel like a shaggyndog and mynroots are showing.

Maggie: I too have to get back to dieting and getting this weight off. We shall see about the shoes I guess.

Jean: I use my Ipad calendar for appts and such. I have a paper one stuck on my pc but that is a whole year one and most just to check what day is what. I used to buy the purse ones that the kids in school sold but Thomas doesn't do that in high school and haven't ever heard anything from Jackson. They were pretty handy.

Everyone had a nice Friday!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #4  

Good Evening! The sun was out all day, no wind, and a warm 32 degrees! Tomorrow night is back to below 0 temps for a couple nights and a winter advisory. We did go to Sioux City and spent a wad! We couldn't get all 44 plates and handles for our cupboards so will make another road trip to the same store 45 miles to the north of us. The sales gal could check on the computer and that store had 59 in stock. At 15% off we are saving a bunch! Then we went to a furniture store intending to "just look" and ended up buying a couch to replace the loveseat in the tv area. We didn't like the fabric so special ordered what we liked, and it most likely won't be here until the end of March. Bob needed a new shaving kit and couldn't find one at Penneys. I asked a young man at the checkout, and he had no clue what I was asking about. The other department store didn't have them either, but that clerk suggested Target. Success! We did find one there!

"Gma," the furniture store had a cozy corner with a TV tuned into the football game. Bob lingered long enough to catch the score -- Iowa got whomped although they did score.

I am heading to bed shortly! See you tomorrow!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD EVENING IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I have decided to read my Bible through again this year and have a neat schedule. Yesterday was to read chapter 1 of Mathew and chapters 1,2,3 of Genesis. Today’s read was Mathew 2 and 4,5,6 of Genesis. I will be posting the daily read here for any of you Magnolias who will be interested in doing a read through in a year. If you want to start today reading yesterdays and today’s isn’t too long of a read.

I have also decided to get serious about my losing weight program on Monday coming up. To many “gatherings” to attend this weekend. I will start the 3 days with just drinking my meal replacement Almased® on Monday which will be so much easier than now for sure. In the meantime I will watch closer what I eat for sure. I at least was able to replace one meal with the Almased® these 2 days.

I was under the impression that it was going to warm up a bit and melt the snow but they have changed to forecast to be 32˚ tomorrow and was the same today.

JEAN Good discount for the hardware for you cupboard. Good ole Target for having what you wanted. That was so sad about that kid shooting his mom. I never did put my purse in the cart when I carried my weapon in it for anyone could come along and snatch the purse. I have seen women leave their carts with their purses in it and walk around to another isle out of the sight of it.

DONNA FAYE I gave my I-Pad away and use a small purse size calendar for what I need to know that is coming up. Yes, let's get serious about losing weight.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-02-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #6  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly, a slight breeze, and it's 27 degrees. The temperature is supposed to drop as the day goes along and be a - something by supper time. I've done squat nothing this morning except get dressed, put a blanket in the washer, and read the papers. Bob started coughing yesterday and I sent him for cold medicine last night. He said he didn't sleep very well but he is making up for it this morning, dozing in front of the TV. A little 3 year old girl was perfectly healthy after Christmas and has died from the flu. This flu is nothing to mess with and I am sending Bob to the doctor on Monday if he is still coughing. He had a flu shot but guess it isn't all it's cracked up to be. After lunch we are going for the rest of the plates and handles for the cupboards.

Maggie, thank you for the offer to lead a Bible study. A women's group is gearing up to do one at church. The pastor includes Bible verses for the coming week that pertain to his sermon. I really need to get serious about exercise! I just wish it would warm up a little more so we could walk outside. Boy, I don't leave my purse, in a shopping cart, for a second. I make sure it is closed too. I have seen women do as you mentioned, which is just asking for trouble imo.

It's time to start something for lunch. Hope you all enjoy your day!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #7  

Good afternoon to you all. It has been raining hard all day today but the temps are almost at 60 so not too cold. I am waiting for the mail to come as I have a bunch of stuff from Avon coming today. My consultant lives in North Dakota! I order stuff online and they ship to me, but she gets the commission.

I was up and at 'em this morning as I had a hair apt at 10 AM. I am not root free, and have a nice color and haircut for a few more weeks. She decided to go out on her own so to speak so she is not renting a booth instead of working through and getting paid by the salon. She buys all her own products and supplies her own equipment ie, blow dryer and such, but instead of getting 50% now she gets all of it. She says she can make a lot more money that way. I told her if she gets business cards to give me some as I am always having women complimenting my hair and asking where I get it done.

I am cleaning out the fridge after I get through here and am doing a load of laundry at the moment. I have to type up my grocery shopping list as tomorrow is commissary day.

Maggie: When I worked at the law firm a gal had her handbag snatched from the cart and it was a real mess for her as she had keys marked for her house and the law firm. She had to pay to replace them and they had to put on new locks on the doors at her home and change stuff at the law firm. They were nice though and didn't charge her for all that. I actually loop the seatbelt strap for kids around my handbag handle and snap it shut. It wouldn't keep them from cutting it if you walked away from it, but it would take time. I never walk away from the cart with my bag in it.

Jean: Great video of the whales, thanks!! Hope Bob feels better soon. My surgeon's dr's office said the current flu vaccine won't work for this new virulent flu going around this year so I am keeping my fingers crossed neither Jack or I get it. I have had a flu shot, Jack hasn't. I guess there is a really nasty viral stomach flu going around too. I don't mean to be a dunder head, but what do you mean by plates for the cupboards? I know when we moved into the condo I bought all new knobs and handles and they cost me a bundle. It is ridiculous how much they charge for the things.

Well gals, better get to the fridge cleaning out. Have a nice Saturday all. Faye
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking

It is said that we are in for some snow this weekend. Let it come I say for we need the moisture for the vast hay crops etc. that are growing in this part of this country.

We have been out and about and visited the buffalo and neighboring “towns.” The buffalo are still 4 big females, 3 girls and one huge good looking male. He is such a handsome bull for sure. The owner of these beasts keep them in good health with lots of hay and regular trips to the vet. They are all quite healthy looking. Come spring the owner will sell off the 3 young ones and let the bull make more babies.

Tonight for dinner we will be having ham, cranberry, orange sauce and some kind of boxed potatoes.

DONNA FAYE Isn't that neat that folks like you hair and ask about the stylist and now you can give them a card.

JEAN I am not leading a Bible study but just posting the daily read Bible verses so folks can read through the Bible in a year.

Daily Read: Morning ~ Mt. Ch 3, Evening ~ Gen. Ch 7, 8, 9

Last edited by Maggie; 01-03-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking

I thought I would give you this now so you could have the whole week beginning tomorrow. I can do it weekly like this if you want so let me know if you want the schedule and are doing the daily read.

Daily read:
Sun. Jan 4 Morning ~ Matt. Ch. 4; Evening ~ Gen. Ch. 10,11,12
Mon. Jan 5 Morning ~ Matt. Ch, 5 vs 1-26; Evening ~ Gen. Ch. 13,14,15
Tue, Jan 6 Morning ~ Matt. Ch. 5 vs 27-45; Evening ~ Gen. Ch. 16,17
Wed. Jan 7 Morning~ Matt Ch. 6 vs 1-18; Evening ~ Gen. Ch. 18,19
Thur. Jan 8 Morning ~ Matt Ch. 6 vs 19-34; Evening ~ Gen. Ch. 20,21,22
.Fri. Jan 9 Morning ~ Matt Ch. 7; Evening ~ Gen, Ch 23, 24
Sat. Jan 10 Morning ~ Matt Ch 8 vs 1-17 ~ Evening ~ Gen. Ch 25,26

Last edited by Maggie; 01-04-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #10  

I guess I still have a few minutes where I can say good morning. We finished up at the dreaded commissary and came home and put it all away. I am pooped. One good thing is I bought this big rolling cart like the ones elderly ladies use to go to the store only this one is much bigger. Jack can bring in two weeks of groceries in only a couple carts full instead of 10 trips back and forth to the garage. It is also great to put soda boxes and trash bags in and just roll them out to the trash can and dump them in instead of lugging them out onto the deck all the time. I read a review question awhile back about whether some lady's dog would fit in the back basket, which it won't, but it will fit a handbag. She wanted to put one of those pet carriers in it. You can't take a pet into most stores so I don't know what she was going to use it for.

We got out tag sticker yesterday so we are good to go for another year on our license tags for the car. I have to say our tags are a lot cheaper than a lot of places. Actually the renewal fee is $24, the city fee is $30 and then they have a wheel tax of $50 and something called EDP which is $2 and then the 48 cent envelope they charge you $2 for, but it is cheaper than going clear out to Millington to get the tag as it is the only DMV around here that you don't have to wait hours in line to get. I can either use my credit card, which they charge you for or now they take e-checks so I can just do that for no extra charge, but you still get dinged for postage, which is a ridiculous amount.

Maggie: Since she is her own boss now, I told her to get business cards and give me some and I would surely pass them out when someone compliments me on my hair. She said she has about a 78% retention rate of customers so that is really good. She is a great stylist and knows how to do color very very well. I have difficult hair to cut and she does a fabulous job.

Well girls, I am off to get a couple things done this afternoon. Have a great day. Tomorrow is weigh in day and that I am dreading, but onward. Faye
Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's cold, cold, cold in my corner of the world today! -2 with a wind chill of -22, but the sun is shining brightly! -13 is predicted for tonight. We had some more snow during the night, but with the wind part of the deck and driveway had blown clear. I rode in to church early, with Bob, as I couldn't see having two vehicles sitting out in the cold. We are singing Christmas carols after Christmas which bugs me. That started several years ago, and I understand the "why," but somehow they aren't as special to me after the fact. I grew up singing Christmas carols in church and school from Thanksgiving until Christmas. Bob is the lonely usher for the month of January, and has to recruit extras each Sunday. One usher has been going south for several years and the clueless secretary keeps putting him on the list. The other usher is having eye surgery of some sort, and called Bob last night to tell him he wouldn't be able to usher this month. There was a grand total of 44 in church this morning. We knew it would be skimpy with the cold and snow.

"Gma," I hope you received your Avon order yesterday. Someone used to leave a book in the teachers' lounge and I would order a few things. I do miss the fun things from the lounge! Bob is still coughing and his nose started running last night, but he said he is feeling better today. It seems like the coughing goes in spurts; he won't cough for a long time and then will cough steady for awhile. He says he gets a tickle in his throat that starts the coughing. Luckily he made it through church without coughing. I told him last night he couldn't go if he coughed like he did yesterday. My handles are mounted on a plate and the purpose of them is to protect the wood from fingernails and rings scratching the wood surface. We did make the trip to get more yesterday afternoon. I looked for a picture online and couldn't find one. I like the idea of your handy cart! When we lived in Ohio, everyone paid the same car license amount, no matter what kind of vehicle. In Iowa the cost depends on the value, and weight, of the vehicle you have. Mine was almost $500, and Iowa roads are the worst!

Maggie, I'm glad you get so much enjoyment out of visiting the buffalo. Have you ever eaten buffalo meat? I would like to go to the round-up, or whatever it is, out around Rapid City in the fall. We had friends go one year, and she said you could feel the ground vibrate.

Bob is hinting at something for lunch so guess I should round up some leftovers. Hope you all enjoy a nice day. Keep warm!

Last edited by Jean; 01-04-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Snowi in the Heart Land

The city work crew sure does a nice job of clearing the snow off the roads and the stores cleaning out their parking lots. Some nice person did our front walk and the walk up to the front door of the church. Will did have to do some snow removal to get the Jeep out of the alley. We now have it parked it on the street out front. I am not sure how much we got but it was only 2 to 3 inches but that much drifting carried by the wind can sure make high drifts.

Looks like none of you are interested in my posting the daily read to go through the Bible in this year so I won’t bother with it anymore. I just thought it would be nice if all of us would do a read through but guess I was wrong. I will still be doing the read though though.

JEAN Yes we have eaten buffalo meat. It is better than beef. We could buy it in the market when we lived in MT. We have also felt the ground shake when great herds were on the move.

DONNA FAYE That is nice of you to pass out cards for your hair dresser. How nice for her to be her own boss now.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-04-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #13  

Maggie, I am a slow reader and I'm not sure I can keep up with you. Some days I never have a chance to sit down for long, until evening and then I fall asleep in front of the TV.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. We are seriously cold here this morning, in the low 20's with the wind chill around 12. Jack was grumbling about having to wear his heavy coat, which I call his Michelin man coat.

We weighed in this morning and started back on our diets. Neither of us weighed in as bad as we thought it might be. We are having turkey this evening with mash potato and salad. I just wish I could keep salad mix fresher longer, but I probably should buy one of those vacuum sealers for that and I am buying no more small appliances until we buy our shelving next month!!!

We got the commissary shopping done, but between the people there more than usual and everything in the aisles because they were restocking it was once again nuts. We went to check out and there were two lanes open but we must have hit it exactly right because we didn't have to wait long.

I am cleaning the downstairs or attempting to this morning and doing two loads of laundry, one just clicked off so it is ready for the dryer. It is time to get back to normal now as Jack had several days off and holidays and such. I am ready to go back to routine.

Maggie: Glad your snow got all cleared off. Even snow can be dicey to walk on. I am sure you are freezing like the rest of us. I am ready for spring.

Jean: I don't know if he would drink it, but 8 oz hot water, 1 tb vinegar and 1 tbl honey stirred in and drink it really helps with a sore or tickly throat. I would imagine lemon juice might work as a vinegar substitute but the old remedy I have from this great old medical book I found years ago really does work. My niece has that flu and is really sick. I did get my Avon order. They had my favorite mascara on sale big time so I bought 3 three of them. They don't have a regular wand, but it is straight across and long instead of round and I can actually do my lashes that way without getting the stuff in my contacts or smear it. I have crummy eyelashes so it is hard for me to have mascara on them but this works great. I also bought some of their skin so soft that is a 48 hour moisturizer in sort of a graprefruit citrus scent and really nice and I wear lip gloss more than lipstick and they had them on sale too so I bought three more of them. Stock up and save that's my motto!

You gals have a nice day. I have to get hopping so I can get things done today. Faye
Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Still Snow on the Ground

The dogs got a bath today and smell so good. The good smell won’t last past tomorrow though but they will still be looking nice and clean.

I am back on my drinking Almased® for the three meals for three days with drinking the veggie broth I made in between or when I feel hungry. I won’t bore you each day with it but just wanted to say I am back on the program of losing weight. Will bought me another of those “Shake Things Up!” shaker bottle containers today by Rubbermaid that have a removable 5 sided paddle ball for a better blend. It is made from Tritan and resists stains and odors. Having two of them will make it so I can have a drink mixed up and in the fridge ready to have the next meal or to grab and go when we go out and about and it is time for me to have my drink. I have a container like you get “to go” coffee in that is made of milk china with a nice reusable lid like the ones the take out coffees have to drink my broth in. I just finished a 8 oz, of the broth in it for it holds that perfect amount and stays hot while I finish it. After these three days I will eat one meal and have two drinks of Almased®. I have plenty of good WW recipes from which to choose that meal. When I get closer to goal than I can have two meals and one of the Almased® but that will be awhile yet.

DONNA FAYE I have one of those things that suck all the air out of the plastic bags and it is great. Keeps the frozen meat 5 times longer than if you just put it in a freezer bag. I haven't tried it on cut up salad greens for we buy them in small bags and usually eat them up in two meals. But those appliances that remove all air from things you want to freeze are great to have.