3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias ~ #90 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/298994-steel-magnolias-%7E-90-a.html)

Jean 09-09-2014 02:48 PM

Good Afternoon! We got up to fog this morning, which has turned into a cloudy, warmer day. Looks like our strange weather continues. It's supposed to be cooler towards the end of the week. The paper quoted a forecast for an early snow. After lunch I need to go to the hospital and write a couple checks for merchandise being checked in yesterday when I picked up the money. I have the tv on; wish I could have a nickel for every political ad that's been on this morning. I wish they would quit bad mouthing the opponent and tell me what they want to do to fix the problem. It will get worse before it gets better.

"Gma," I hope that Thomas didn't catch anything when swimming in the river. What Kolby had was caused by a parasite found in underworld countries, dirty water, etc., my first thought was he swallowed lake water. :( I bet he will make the cross county team next year. All of your iPad books should keep you busy! I hope your niece gets along ok; I think the anticipation is sometimes worse than the event. Also will keep your nephew's family in my prayers.

Maggie, I was surprised when you said Will was having his chemo treatment, but guess today is the 9th. :o Did he drive himself? Bob's secretary always had someone take her and then she would call when she was finished. Here's good vibes that all goes well and the three months fly by.

I had lunch in the oven to surprise Bob this noon. :cp: It just feels like a casserole kind of day! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday today! :wave:

Jean 09-10-2014 08:10 AM

Good Morning! It's still dark and dreary this morning. We've had some more rain during the night, which we don't need right now. My plan for the day is lunch bunch and laundry. I washed a load of clothes late yesterday afternoon and then forgot to put them in the dryer. :dizzy: It's a good thing I didn't need any of it first thing this morning.

Not much newsy going on my corner of the world right now. I like it like that after last week when multiple things happen in one day. It's a wonderful Wednesday, and I hope you all have a great day! :wave:

QuilterInVA 09-10-2014 09:38 AM

Good morning, ladies! 72 degrees and more rain on tap.

We had 10.5 inches of rain on Monday. There is a lot of flooding and schools were sent home early because of the flooded roads. Hopefully the forecast calls for sunshine tomorrow so maybe we can begin to dry out.

Faye, more young people, even in their teens, are having gallbladder surgery. It's because of their fast food diet. I hope everything goes well for your niece.

Jean, sounds like you are awash in rain, too. The farmers are going to be hurting that depend on soy, peanuts, and cotton if it doesn't let up soon. You are such a good gramdma to go to the kids sporting events.

Maggie, I hope Will continues to feel good during his chemo. Has the drink helped your weight loss?

Have a wonderful day - I have to get to the Y.

gma22 09-10-2014 10:47 AM

Good morning to you all. Had a rough night with the female stuff so when advil didn't work I took a pain pill. So, now I have to deal with dopey feelings until it wears off.

I am almost to the toe with Thomas's sock, but haven't been working on it a lot the last couple days. I have plenty of time so don't feel rushed about it and can work on it in the car when we leave and on vacation too during down time.

I have a hair appointment on Friday and I am hoping I can convince her to cut it really short. It is going to be really humid in the tropics this year and I have to wear a hat so I am going to sweat.

When I get done here I have to call the surgeon's office and set up the consult apt right after I get back so I can set up the surgery. It is always something I guess. She finally got my referral done so I can do that.

Jean: I wasn't too keen on the swim, but it was part of his scout thingy. It was last spring though so hopefully nothing came of it. He had to do some kind of pool swim too I guess. Our washer is so noisy you can hardly forget it unless you leave the house while it is going and I don't usually do that. I would imagine with it being in the basement it would be easy to forget. Have fun with your lunch bunch.

Susan: My goodness, was it a tropical storm that moved up the coast and dumped all that rain on you? We have been watching for storm stuff. It is supposed to rain in the Caribbean all next week, but I sure hope it clears out for vacation. We are going with our friends to a beach resort and it kind of ruins it if you are sitting in the pouring rain. :lol:

Everyone have a great middle of the week. Faye

Maggie 09-10-2014 04:12 PM

Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I finally bought the spam blocker for my e-mail Incredi-mail program. I got tired of deleting all those things saying stupid stuff like drinking water is bad for you, drinking milk is worse for you than smooking, don’t eat fruit for it is bad for you, don’t eat vegetables for it is bad for you, you can forever get rid of herpes, you can cure Alzheimer’s and so on and not just one of each would arrive but 5 or more.

Got my breast exam results and all is well in that department. I didn’t expect anything different and am thankful all is well.

I am so pleased that Will hasn’t had any bad feelings from his first bout with chemo. There are sure some horror stories about it that get passed around. He can’t eat, drink or touch anything cold for a couple days but he can deal with that for he can still have his coffee. He has one session down and just 5 more to go.

We got a gulley washer bout of rain last evening that came down fast and furious but was quickly over with. I don’t know how much rain we did get but lots at once knocks limbs off trees in the park. There were teens out gathering up the limbs and putting them in piles to be hauled off. Nice job for them.

DONNA FAYE I certainly hope you aren't feeling lousy during your vacation.

JEAN Did your have fun with your lunch bunch? I drove the Jeep home and picked him up yesterday but sine he doesn't have the side effects from the treatment he plans on driving himself on the 23rd for his 2nd treatment. If we need anything we can go get it after he is back home in the afternoon.

SUSAN The drink is a great help with my weight loss program. I make a different flavor each day for my noon meal replacement. I hope you had a good session at the Y today.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

gma22 09-11-2014 08:37 AM

Good morning ladies. It is coming down hard and fast and thundering up a bundle this morning. Took Jack quite a bit longer to get to work than it usually does because it was raining so hard you couldn't see. I hope it moves through as I have a hair appointment tomorrow and don't want to deal with heavy rain.

You know, I remember where I was with three things, the day Kennedy was shot, I remember coming home from school and standing in my grandma's living room and my mom and grandma standing in front of grandpa's color tv crying. I remember the day Elvis died. We lived in El Paso and I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter and we had a little portable tv in the living room and they broke into programing as I was walking past it (it was my future sil's 10th birthday that day) and finally the day the twin towers were struck. I was sitting at my desk and a lady delivered a candy basket for one of our estimator's birthdays. She told me and because I was a receptionist could not get up and go see the tv so didn't know how serious it was until much later. Are we safer? Not a chance and now that dope in the white house says these killers ISIS aren't Islamic. A man in uniform can't take his daughter into her school because he might offend some of the students. Our freedoms are slowly draining away and our threat level is the highest it has ever been. God has been ripped out of schools, courtrooms and songs. Our kids can't say the pledge or pray over their food. They have to eat what the first lady says they can eat even though she isn't a nutritionist and doesn't know what she is talking about. A man can't hang the flag outside his house, but they can burn it in the streets. The memorial of this day is not just about the costly lost of life, but the loss of our freedom and safety as well.

Maggie: Glad Will came out of his chemo session doing ok. My great nephew came out of his surgery ok too, thank you Jesus.

You all have a wonderful day today. Faye

Jean 09-11-2014 01:33 PM

Good Afternoon! It's a "cold" day in my corner of the world, the wind is blowing and cloudy with more rain predicted. We are supposed to get Maddy and Kolby from the sitter and to the soccer fields later this afternoon. If we're going to get rained out, I hope it happens before we leave home. I'm taking my winter jacket! Other than that, I've done a load of laundry and chased fur bunnies with the vacuum. Bob should be home for lunch soon, and it's leftovers today.

Susan, it sure doesn't seem fair that your area gets so much rain while there are places that don't even have enough water to drink. Crazy! I saw where the northeastern states are supposed to get snow by the end of the month. The weatherman just said Rapid City could get some today. That is way too early!!!

"Gma," I hope you are feeling better today, and it didn't take too long to get over the dopey feeling. I was sitting in a college class when the news about Kennedy was announced. For 911 I was sitting in another classroom and we had the tv on, which was very unusual. I don't remember about Elvis.

Maggie, I have a junk folder that takes all of the emails that "unknowns" send. It's also taken a few I did want, so I skim through before I delete them. Glad to hear that the mammogram results were good and that Will did ok with his first treatment. I wonder what effect the cold food or drink would have. I've never heard of that before.

Bob is home so it's lunch time! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday today! :wave:

gma22 09-12-2014 09:34 AM

Good morning gals. Quick post as I have to leave in just a bit to go and get my hair cut and colored. It is gloomy and supposed to rain again today. The area my dd lives in flooded yesterday badly but I never heard from her if her particular area flooded. We got about 7 inches of rain in a hour. Not as much as Susan, but we have a lot of low lying areas and a terrible sewer system IMO.

Jack has two more days of work after today and of course he is going nuts. He said yesterday went pretty fast so hopefully today will go fast for him too. Not a lot of work gets done on paydays though. They allow everyone longer lunches.

I got my referral yesterday in the mail so all set to go with that. She hasn't called me back about the apt so I am giving her until Monday then I will call her back and firm it up. She said their computers were down so she couldn't check, but that was two days ago.

Other than getting everything done for the trip not much going on here. We have to go out to the base to the bank tomorrow and get a couple things at the commissary we want to take with us to snack on and some more soda, get the car cleaned this weekend and tomorrow Jack is getting a haircut. We are all packed except for last minute stuff and so he will load the car on Wednesday after I get back from getting my nails done. He wants to do it before it gets dark and we don't want people to see us loading up the car so we do it with the garage door closed so there isn't a huge amount of light once it gets dark.

Jean: I heard on the radio this morning that the mountains have about a foot of snow out west and it was 17 degrees at Yellowstone this morning. I just worry about rain as we are going to drive in rain clear through next Saturday so I hope it isn't going to rain our whole cruise. We shall see I guess. If it rains the day we go to the resort we are out the big bucks because they don't refund your money for the day passes. :(

Everyone have a grand weekend. We are just counting the days. Faye

Jean 09-12-2014 01:17 PM

Good Morning! It was a chilly 48 degrees and raining early this morning. :brr: The rain has stopped and the sun is trying to peak through the clouds. We are thinking of going to a fair this afternoon; I'm not too hep on walking through the mud if they got rain too. It's billed as the largest county fair in the U. S., and it's fun to walk through all the displays. Bob usually checks out the farm machinery. I went to have my nails done and got in the middle of a wedding party having pedicures and manicures. It was fun to listen to the young ladies talk back and forth. I noticed all had long, straight blonde hair.

"Gma," I sure hope your daughter doesn't have any flood damage. I am ready for some sunshine and warmer temperatures! I just hate the thought of cold weather coming so early. My furnace is running today. I'm sure it must be hard for Jack to concentrate on work when you are so close to vacation. :yes: Rapid City, SD, got 6" of snow yesterday, and Bob was glad to be home!

Bob is home for lunch so better get the soup on! Enjoy the rest of a fantastic Friday! :wave:

gma22 09-13-2014 05:58 AM

Good morning ladies. I crashed around 8 PM last night and slept through the night, which is unusual for me. I usually have to get up once to go to the bathroom. I am a little dopey this morning, but am slowly waking up. Our neighbors pipes "tick" when they shower and they sound like they are in our living room and he works on the weekends I guess because at 4:30 you could hear the tick, tick, tick sound.

Today is a trip to the bank to get cash for vacation and then to the commissary, which is close to get a few snacks to take with us and a couple things to round out meals and then back home and clean the inside of the car. I did laundry yesterday so am caught up on it for about 2 seconds. :lol:

Jean: :brr: That is pretty cold even for your area this early. It was cool here yesterday all day in the upper 60's but really windy. It was dark and cloudy all day, but we never did get any rain. Don't know what today will bring. I downloaded a hurricane radar map on my Ipad so I could watch weather. There is a tropical storm in the tropics right now, but hopefully it will be gone by the time we wander in there. They are having a huge amount of rain though. I heard this year was supposed to be an awful cold and snowy winter.

You gals have a nice Saturday. I think I will sit and knit for a bit before I get a shower and get dressed. Faye

Jean 09-13-2014 10:40 AM

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's 36 degrees outside! At least the sun makes it look warmer, yesterday was so gloomy. Bob just left for the lake to meet Jason in order to winterize the cabin, take the dock out, and bring the boat home. It doesn't seem like we really had a summer. Soccer games are finished next week; Zowie decided to try volleyball so perhaps we will be able to go to some of those games. Football games go into October. I need to do some laundry, clear off the never ending island clutter, and vacuum the fur bunnies. This afternoon I have a surprise 70th birthday party for one of my lunch bunch friends. My monthly coffee date friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer and goes for a consultation Monday. Cancer seems to be rampant in our area. Bad stuff and so scary!

"Gma," I hope you are no longer feeling dopey! :lol3: For some reason that just tickled me this morning. I'm thinking positive about your vacation weather! If there is a hurricane, will the ship ride it out or do they pull into a port and park it? I can't imagine what that would be like. :(

Hope to see Maggie and Susan today. ;) Enjoy a super Saturday! :wave:

gma22 09-14-2014 08:33 AM

Good morning everyone. It is chilly here in the upper 50's this morning. I am going out in about 10 minutes to clean the inside of the car except for vacuuming, which we will do on Wednesday after we get it washed.

I am on the toe decreases for Thomas's first sock so then I will have Jack put it on and pray it isn't too big. It looks huge compared to store bought socks, but store bought have elastic in the thread so they can make them for a wide range of sizes and these are made to fit the foot. Jack wears a 10 1/2 so they should be a bit long for him as I am making king kong sized 12 socks. The kid is 14 and wears an 11 1/2 shoe. He had on a pair of driving moccasins the night we went out to dinner and compared to the rest of him they looked like he was playing in his uncle's shoes. :lol:

Got my bill from the hospital yesterday. We owe them $74 of the $31,000 they billed for the ER and hospital stay. They charged $12,000 for the ER alone and the only thing they did was give me several shots and put an NG tube in. The meds are billed separately so I don't know how they could have possibly done $12,000 worth of work. The ER dr only came in twice and the rest was nurses. No wonder the healthcare is such a mess.

We went out to the bank yesterday, which is just across the street from the main gate of the base. We got the cash we wanted and came out to go onto the base and the main gate is closed on the weekends. Now how dumb is that? So we had to drive out and around to get to the back gate, which is about 5 miles out of the way. Anyway, I marked another thing off my shrinking list of to dos before leaving. We then went to the commissary and it was nuts, nuts, nuts. They were having a "case" sale and the place was packed at 9:30 in the morning and they open at 9. Luckily, we only had a few things so used the self checkout. Let me tell you, the commissary sure does have a better system with the self check out. You scan in your ID card and then start checking out and they have someone manning the checkouts who doesn't wander off or stand there yakking with someone. Also the checkouts themselves work better. We had more than 15 items so we split them into two and I checked out one and Jack the other so there was no cheating. :lol:

Jean: Wow seems like just yesterday you were opening up the cabin. The cold weather sure did sweep in fast for sure. I saw pics on my FB from friends up in Indiana going to the Notre Dame game and they were bundled all up. I think they played in Lafayette instead of South Bend but it is only a bit farther south. It is still showing rain, rain, rain so I imagine we will get rain on sail away day so no standing and watching the ship pull out waving to the people like we usually do. Jack said that hurricanes are pretty predictable as far as direction goes so the ship knows ahead of time and reroutes around the storm. They bypass any ports and stay out at sea if the hurricane is coming across any of the ports of call. In that case, they do refund money for excursions, rain no, hurricanes where they can't pull in, yes.

Well gals, I need to get going. You all have a nice Sunday. Faye

Jean 09-14-2014 04:17 PM

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, it's breezy and cool in my neighborhood this afternoon. It really seems like fall; someone has their fireplace going and it smells so good outside. Went to church and as we were leaving first service the band comes barging in. We have a new (?) drummer who looks like a He**s Angel in jeans, a black t-shirt with some sort of picture on the front, boots, and slicked back hair. What a motley looking crew they are imo. I checked and the pile of cigarette butts are still outside one of the never used doors. We posted "no smoking" signs a month ago but I don't know if anyone picked up her (the fiddle player) pile from before. I will pick them up tomorrow and will check next week to see if there are more. If so I will take some sort of action! I have no energy to do much of anything this afternoon. The kitchen is picked up and counters cleared off. I told Bob it is closed until tomorrow. ;)

"Gma," I had to :lol: at King Kong socks. At the birthday party yesterday, our table was discussing PET scans; one gal's husband just died from cancer in several places, another one's husband is being treated right now, and the third gal has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. All are on Medicare which will only pay for one scan a year. Years ago they wouldn't pay at all, for my dad, and they were $2500. Now they range from $8000-$10,000 according to the one gal. The healthcare, or lack of, is scary! Around here it seems to be not if one gets cancer, when it will happen. :(

I guess I will finish reading the paper before I try to find something on tv. It sounds like the new programs start this week. I know Dancing with the Stars is on tomorrow night and I have card club. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day and evening. :wave:

gma22 09-15-2014 07:59 AM

Good morning gals. It is in the upper 60's this morning so the temps are back to climbing. Hopefully we will have nice weather to travel on Thursday.

We just cut the last paper loop from out vacation chain. We always leave the last loop on the end of the curtain rod then add the extra links of construction paper loops for the next trip. Next trip is 18 months away though so we won't make a chain until we are down to 12 months then we make 51 one loops and add to the one link. Jack is a big kid and enjoys making them and taking them off. :lol:

Finish Thomas's first sock so Jack will try it on when he gets home after dinner. I hope it fits properly because I don't want to rip it out completely again. My only concern is the cuff around the ankle gapping. I am working to finish the scarf for my hair stylist to go with her mittens and hat I made in the spring. I am also taking my tunic sweater I started for myself. I am not going to take Thomas's other sock since it is on dpn's. It is too easy for the knitting to come off the needles since they are open at both ends. I have 2 1/2 months to make the other one so it is no problem to get it done and get them washed and blocked.

I have a terrible stiff neck. I slept really soundly last night and must have slept on it wrong. I can barely turn my head to the right and it is making my shoulders sore. Guess I will get out the icy hot and put some on my neck.

Jean: Tacky, tacky to smoke outside and church and just dump your butts. Why doesn't the minister say something about a decent dress code for the band. I mean for heaven's sake they can at least wear decent clothing instead of stuff that looks like it belongs at a bar band. I wouldn't go to services with a band. I don't think it is very conducive to worship. I imagine it is a way to try to get the young into church, but how much worship do they really get?

Everyone have a great start to your week. Jack has two work days then he is on vacation. Faye

QuilterInVA 09-15-2014 09:00 AM

Good morning, ladies! A cool 64 degrees heading for 80 today. The sun is out for a change.

Glory and I went to tea on Saturday. I take rice crackers for them to put the sandwich fillings on and Nora makes me meringues with fruit and whipped cream for my dessert. I'm not missing stuff with fluten at all.

Tomorrow Glory and I are going to visit our friend who has had all the surgeries. She is still recovering from the last one so we will take lunch and have a sew day with her.

Faye, I know you are excited to go. I used to make chains of paper clips for each pound I wanted to lose. It was fun watching the chain get shorter and shorter.

Jean, I'm from the old school when it comes to church and that's one thing you can count on in the Catholic church, Mass is always the same. We do have one at 5:30 pm on Sunday for the "young" people that has a band. We have Waters Edge church(es) here. It started meeting at the Y I go to and finally they raised enough to build a church. They outgrew it in less than a year and now they have 4 buildings around town. I went there once when a friend's granddaughter was being baptised (and left as soon as that was over). The noise is unbelievable. Rock bands play and it is so loud they actually have baskets of earplugs in the lobby for those who need them. They have a minister who runs back and forth across the stage shouting his message while the choir sings. There are huge tvs so everyone can see. The service is broadcast to the outlying locations where it is viewed on tv - nothing live there. They don't take up a collection, but have big jars in the lobby that people put their money in. It's more like a circus. But it is crowded and I guess its some form of worship. Who knows what it will be like in the next century.

Maggie, I hope things are good with you and Will.

Have a wonderful day!