3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias ~ #90 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/298994-steel-magnolias-%7E-90-a.html)

Maggie 09-03-2014 12:10 PM

Steel Magnolias ~ #90

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is a lovely day here in this part of the country and I am going to put a nice piece of beef in the crock pot and let it cook for dinner. Not much going on around here to speak of but the usual.

DONNA FAYE That is great that you didn't get any thyroid problems.

SUSAN No I still have a dysfunctional thyroid. The only things that I have had removed from this body of mine are a disk from my back and a gall bladder. I have been on thyroid meds for as long as I can remember ~ in fact I started out taking the real pills made of thyroid way back before they had any synthetic meds. I hope you are taking your thyroid meds all alone and waiting a couple hours before you take any others. They need to be taken alone to do any good.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Jean 09-03-2014 12:50 PM

Good Morning! It's another cool sunny morning in my neighborhood. I wanted to choose appropriate cards for the funeral tomorrow, and made a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home. Today is our 47th anniversary, just another day. Jason turns 41 today, and that doesn't seem possible.

Susan, it is too hot in your neighborhood! :dizzy: I hope it cools down soon. I was surprised at the number of kids who had permission to carry inhalers with them to class. I remember my mom wheezing so sympathize with you. I try very hard to stay away from cameras, but thanks for the compliment.

"Gma," I have to admit I don't have a long pointy nose, but you just can't see the warts. :lol3: I read in the paper where hotels are going to start adding on fees for things like early or late check in/out, Wifi, computers and printers, etc. Pretty soon there won't be a plain simple room with no added charges. Good luck with the socks.

Maggie, thank you for starting the new thread. :cp: I can smell your dinner cooking clear over here! Yum!

I need to round up Bob's dress shirt for tomorrow and decide what I I'm going to wear. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday! :wave:

gma22 09-04-2014 07:29 AM

Good morning to you all! It seems to be cool in the house this morning but I don't know about outside. I haven't stuck my nose out since Monday.

I am working the heel on T's sock so it is coming right along. The smaller needles did make a big difference on the tightness of the weave for him. I don't know how much of that will get done today and everything seems to ache this morning, elbows, arm muscles, shoulders, hands. Maybe it is supposed to rain or something I don't know.

We are supposed to go out to dinner with the kids either Friday or Saturday. I haven't heard back from her yet. I don't know where we are going either. We are planners, they are seat of the pants people. :lol:

I hope today is better than the last few days eating. I have been munching all day and over plan constantly. Don't know why I am hungry as the female thing hasn't popped back up. I just have to work on getting more protein in my diet I guess am already eating more whole grains and veg and such. I guess sometimes you just have a bad week but I hope today turns it around.

Maggie: We had pot roast on Tuesday. I put it in the crockpot with a package of baby carrots, 2 cans whole potatoes and a can of ff beef broth then cook it on low for several hours. I comes out so nice and tender that way. I have a sister who sticks it in a roaster (you know the old style that is dark blue with tiny white dots) no liquid at all and cooks it to death. The darn thing comes out crunchy and her family loves it that way. ugh! You could hammer nails with the thing it is so dry.

Jean: What the heck were you doing up at 1 AM???? I had your anniversary as the 4th. Got to go in and change that. Happy Anniversary!!!!! I wanted to give you some balloons, but my smilies won't load for some reason. Hope you and Bob had a lovely day together. My Jay turns 41 Oct 22. I know seems like yesterday he was this adorable little guy in Oshkosh overalls. Poor guy has to go in and have surgery two days after his birthday.

Well girls, need to balance the checkbook and get started on the day. Cabinets and countertops and appliance cleaning today. :D Faye

Maggie 09-04-2014 11:12 AM

Thursday ~ Nice & Sunny

GOOD MORNING IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I am so jazzed for my BD present of a Golden Fox Fur Vest came yesterday and it is beautiful and will look great with my brown pants and a cream colored blouse. The vest is jacket length. Now it will just have to wait in the closet until it gets cold enough around here to wear It is one of those things I can wear even after I am at goal. :cp: I love looking at the Victorian Trading Co. catalogs for they have some really neat things and are based in the ♥-Land not far from here. In particular there is a neat sun hat I have my eye on. :yes: Will got me the vest for my BD which isn’t until October but was afraid maybe if he waited it would no longer be for sale since they rotate things in and out of the catalogs.

I am going to lunch with the museum group today so I will have my drink for my evening meal. That will be the first time I have done that so we shall see how it works out to have it in the evening. I can have a snack of celery and carrot sticks along with a piece of jerky if I feel hungry later in the evening, for I will have the points I can spend.

I am just waiting for some special pens that can be used on cloth and not run or smear to arrive for my doll making. The local shop where we get our paper and such has ordered them for me. I have my tools in the neat holder that will be easy to reach what I want for the items stand up in little compartments all around the top. There are drawers around the bottom also and it is quite trick for it turns like a lazy Susan does.. I may have told you about it before so sorry if this is boring as a repeat.

JEAN :cp: another anniversary. Hope yours was happy and you did what you wanted to dol

DONNA FAYE That is just too funny about that really done roast. I have never had one like that and don't plan on it either. :D Mine came out juicy and delicious as I am sure yours did. :p Different strokes for different folks is how it is though and if a person likes theirs done to a crisp and likes it that way more power to them.

Jean 09-05-2014 01:45 PM

Good Afternoon! It's a cool cloudy day in my corner of the world. I have to make a salad for church tomorrow, and I just feel lazy after being gone yesterday. I want to take it in this afternoon. We left home at 7:30 and I walked back in about 11:30 pm last night. Yesterday, at the cemetery, there were fire trucks and ambulances from surrounding small towns. After the minister finished her prayers, the emergency radio dispatcher called Danny's name three times, then thanked him for his service and said they would carry on. It was broadcast live in all the counties; there wasn't a dry eye there. The church was full as I knew it would be. The football game was windy and cold! I should have taken jeans, socks and shoes, along with a heavier jacket. Next time I will go prepared! Ian made three touchdowns and the final score was 48 - 8. There is another kid about half Ian's size who zips in and out before the opponents know what happened, he is fun to watch. Bob and Jason are on their way to MT today, and I have a list of things I wanted to get done while Bob is gone. He'll be home Monday night.

"Gma," it is chilly in the house this morning and I finally dug out a sweater. I am not ready for colder weather! :no: I hope the achy feeling is gone today. I know what you mean about wanting to eat everything that is loose. You can get your control back! I pulled my usual mo and fell asleep in the recliner then wasn't tired when it was time to go to bed. Usually a 10-15 minute catnap works but Bob went back to the office and I slept for over an hour. I should know better than to get in the recliner!

Maggie, I know you will enjoy wearing your new vest, but I hope it will be awhile before it's cold enough. ;) We stopped for a quick hamburger on our way home from the funeral visitation; not exactly my idea of an anniversary dinner but it was late for us to be eating as it was. My mom always fixed roasts on top of the stove in a heavy pan, so that's how I usually make them too.

I need to make the salad and pick up the kitchen. Hope you all enjoy a nice day! :wave:

gma22 09-06-2014 09:45 AM

Good morning to you all. Hot, hot, hot today again though it is nice and sunny. We are going to run a couple errands to the UPS store to drop off the Amazon return then run by Krogers and pick up a couple things then come home and shampoo the carseat and the floor mats and rugs for the trip. Last year when I was so sick and we were driving, when I went to get out at the rest stop, I wet all over the car seat. It doesn't smell or anything, but I have been working out the stain for a year because the seats are a very light tan corduroy and leather. So far, I haven't been really successful, but am going to try and put a stain remover on it and try again.

Jack is playing bridge online. He is pretty proficient at it so when we get back I am sure I will get great tutelage from him so we can get into games somewhere.

We had a nice dinner with the kids at Red Robin last night but my food was awful for the first time ever. I got a chicken sandwich which was overcooked and horribly dry, but I didn't want to wait half an hour to get another sandwich of some kind. I should have gone with the BLTA or the fish like I usually do. Thomas is hilarious. While his parents and the two of us were talking he had his phone in his lap texting away at people. I ask him if it was girls, and those dimples came out and he said, "Yes." I said so you haven't had trouble making girlfriends at the new school? (he knew no one at his new high school when he started) He told me no and I said, "Atta boy, it is those dimples. Girls love dimples." :lol:

Maggie: Hope Will is coming right along in his health and feeling well. The chemo will sap his strength so be prepared. Nothing he can do about it but ride it out. I love the hats I bought for vacation, but I am going to tell my gal to cut my hair very short this time as it is looking like the Caribbean is going to be super hot and humid this year and I have to wear hats to keep from sunburning so I sweat.

Jean: What a lovely tribute for your friend. I tend to take naps and then feel worse than if I haven't for at least an hour then find I am a bit more refreshed. I can't take power naps though. Jack is a 10 minute nap guy and feels great, me, I am huge grouch if I haven't had a long nap if I need one.

Everyone have a great day. I have to finish dressing and we are out of here. Faye

Jean 09-06-2014 12:25 PM

Good Morning! It's a bright, sunny, cool morning in my neighborhood. It's quiet; no one is mowing this morning. I need to write notes in a couple in cards. The doctor Jason had when he was in his brace died at age 93. Jason went to his visitation and explained his connection to the doctor to his wife, plus the fact that Amanda is/was their best friends' granddaughter. It was in Sioux City the same night we all went to Danny's. The doctor and his wife have 12 children; we always thought his bedside manner was gruff but guess it scared us into following his orders. I need a couple things from the grocery store and now wish I would have gone yesterday.

"Gma," wish I could share some cool weather with you! It was 44 degrees when I came downstairs this morning and the house was chilly. I turned the furnace on! :D Sorry your chicken was too well done last night. Ian gets a silly grin when we ask about girls. He doesn't have a phone yet but not because he hasn't been teasing for one.

I need to get my cards done and unload the dishwasher. Enjoy your day and do something fun! :wave:

Maggie 09-06-2014 04:09 PM

Sunny not as Hot Saturday

AW yesterday I had my mammogram and don’t expect anything to come of it but they say we gals need them so I go and get it done. Glad to have that over with for another year. I am not fond of having my boobs squeezed as flat as that machine can get them but the gal that did it is good and knows her stuff.

Will starts his chemo on the 9th and will be in the 3 month group instead of the 6 month group. He will get the treatment every other week and have his last one before Thanksgiving. That is if his blood count stays up to 10. They won’t give the treatment if the blood count isn’t up so we shall see.

While Will was in the market last evening I was sitting in the Jeep watching the night ski. There was a spotty cloud cover of dark clouds and the moon was playing hide and seek behind them and they passed in front of it. It was so neat for some of the clouds were thin and lacy looking and making the moon have a veil. Then the clouds would pass by slowly and the full moon would shine down. I wonder how many folks were watching the night sky along with me.

DONNA FAYE They have meds to give the ones that have a chemo treatment that calms the bad effects some folks experience. They already have given Will 3 different things to do just that. Most of what goes around are scare stories and myths about chemo treatments. There are lots of folks who go to work the next day after their treatment so it doesn’t cause everyone the same set back as one would think. Hopefully Will will be one of the ones like that. He isn’t wimpy and has a high threshold for pain. We will just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

JEAN I hope your trip to the market is a good one. I picked up some more flavorings for my drink today so I now have a nice variety. I also got 3 bags of different flavored jerky ~ regular, sweet-hot and peppered. I have it all in little bags of one ounce for 2P+ each so when I want some it is already weighted out and I am not tempted to eat out of the large bag for I can limit myself to one little bag. :cp: I need a snack around 3 o'clock and some iced green-mint tea and jerky are good to have.

Jean 09-07-2014 10:40 AM

Good Morning! It's another sunny cool morning in my neighborhood. Nothing too exciting going on today, just more sorting through "stuff" and cleaning out a kitchen junk drawer for starters. I'm sure I can find some laundry to do, or at least some ironing.

Maggie, I'm always relieved when the mammogram squish is done. :cp: I took hormones for several years and at the time research was leaning towards the greater chance of breast cancer. I'm not sure what the current thinking on that might be. It sounds like you are all set for drink flavors and chewy snacks. Bob likes jerky but I never think to buy it unless he happens to be with me.

Hope you all are doing something fun and enjoy a super Sunday today! :D

gma22 09-07-2014 03:32 PM

Afternoon gals. It was cool this morning so Jack got out and shampooed inside the car. My thought about the seat didn't work, but it is no worse off so has to be what it is. It is clean except for a few wipe downs, which I will do this next weekend then get the outside washed and we are good to go.

We only have a week and a half until we leave for Florida and 2 weeks from today is sail away day. We are all packed, Jack did a dry run on the bags to make sure everything fits and it all goes in fine so we are good to go when it is time.

I did laundry and will start dinner in an hour or so. I am making chicken fried steak tonight. I make it the slim way without oil and such. I use lowfat milk and egg beaters for batter and pam instead of oil to fry them in. I have veggies and jack mashed potatoes and veg.

This week is going to drag by I imagine. I have my hair apt on Friday and we need to get stuff done at the bank and post office on Friday and Saturday but the week is pretty free of stuff to do except keep up the house as usual.

Maggie: I never became a fan of jerky. I don't know why. My niece loves the stuff and takes it with her everywhere. Hope your liquid mornings are dong you well. I just hope I can get in enough walking to keep me from gaining on vacation.

Jean: My mammogram is in November and I get a sonogram to go with it on a table made for a size 2 I think! :lol: Thomas got a phone a year or so ago but he has limitations regarding school of course. He is such a computer electronics geek though. I am glad he has made friends at his new school so quickly girls or boys. He told his granddad and I he has 6 months and will have completed everything to become an Eagle scout so that is exciting.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your day. My female stuff started back in yesterday so guess I won't dodge it for vacation because it can last on and off for weeks then go away for 6 weeks and then back and forth. :mad: Faye

Maggie 09-07-2014 10:14 PM

Sunny not as Hot Sunday

Today has been a lovely day in the 80˚s and that definitely is nice. We had pot-luck for lunch after church services and I ate light so hopefully it didn’t affect me too much. My weigh day is tomorrow so we shall see how my program has been doing or if I need to tighten up some. I feel I do best if I have my drink for the first meal instead of the last.

Not much happening around here today to speak of.

DONNA FAYE Watch what you eat while on the cruise and with all that walking you should do fine. Be happy with a "maintain" and if you gain don't fret. Just get back on your program when you get back home. That is my 2 cents worth of advice to you. :D

JEAN I remember having my first piece of jerky when my mother made it when I was a kid. We could have a piece and some grapes or orange sections as a snack after school. Other days it may be peanut butter in celery sticks ~ guess which was our favorite. :p

Jean 09-08-2014 12:55 PM

Good Morning! It's pouring rain big time, and has been for over an hour. There were sprinkles after I finished at church so stopped by the grocery store. I wasn't in there very long but got soaked clear through my nylon jacket and clothes coming out. I bypassed the hospital in favor of coming home for dry clothes. Thunder is rumbling through but I haven't seen any lightning. I'll go back and get the gift shop money when the rain lets up. Kolby is supposed to have a soccer game tonight but Beth thought it would be doubtful with all the rain. Of course, the sun could come out and it could be nice by game time. Bob is due home early this evening.

"Gma," in Iowa more and more small schools are consolidating together, or closing all together. Kids don't very often get to stay in a neighborhood school all the way through. Sad, I think. I admire kids, like Thomas, who adapt to new situations with ease. :cheer: He is young to earn his Eagle award, isn't he? I'm just going by the boys in our church who have been juniors and seniors.

Maggie, I'm betting the scale will shine for you today. :) I still like peanut butter and celery, or cheese and celery, anything crunchy.

I have laundry to sort so had better get going on that. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday! :wave:

gma22 09-08-2014 02:26 PM

Good afternoon gals. It was cool this morning, but it is 85 at the moment. Looks like upper 70's by this time next week though, which will be a nice change. Hopefully no rain for vaca though.

My niece is going to have to have gall bladder surgery and she is only in her 30's. She isn't overweight and never has been either. She ask me all about it as she is pretty nervous. Her boys are Jackson's age and she teaches school so I imagine she is concerned about that. I went through the procedure with her and told her it is a snap and recoup time isn't bad. It was the one surgery I have had that only had little cuts and the scars are almost all gone. :lol:

This darn female stuff is going at it again and so I am shaky today. I checked my blood sugar just to make sure and it is fine. I figured it would be as I haven't had any problems at all since I got off the insulin. No low and no high blood sugars so the shakiness is the female thing. Ahh well it is what it is as I always say. I can deal with it.

Maggie: Tx for saying that. The ship is huge and I will get in a lot of walking, but I am planning on getting up every morning and getting cleaned up for the day and getting out and walking the walking track they have on the ship. It will be lovely to walk in the sunshine and on something even unlike walking in my neighborhood. I can also sit if I need to then get up and walk more if my knee gives me fits. Hopefully I can get enough in between all of that and the long walks when we get in port to keep the weight ok. It isn't like I am going to gain 10 lbs or something as I have to eat well because of the diabetes.

Jean: Everything Thomas does seems to be doing it younger than other kids. He really loves scouting though so it doesn't surprise me. He told us he missed out on getting into cross country, but he is going to run spring track the 2 mile. I guess being a freshman it is hard to get into cross country in time to run, sign up and such. He runs all the time and bikes miles and miles too so should be no problem to run 2 miles. One of his scouting thing was swimming in this river for one mile. He was faster than anyone I guess, but then he is a little fish. He learned to swim as a toddler pretty much and has never been afraid of the water.

Well I need to go. I want to wash up my lunch dish and get a shower. I have been lounging around all morning doing nothing. Have a good start to your week. Countdown has begun for us! Faye

gma22 09-09-2014 08:49 AM

Good morning ladies. Nice and cool this morning. Not even having to run the ac units this morning.

I ordered the new JD Robb book several months ago and it was delivered to my IPad this morning. I am desperately trying to keep my fingers off it so I can read it during vacation! :lol: Hopefully I can just read the other bazillion books I have in my Ipad/kindle program. I probably have 400 books in it.

We are having sloppy joes tonight. I wanted something quick and easy tonight. I use Manwich, but my homemade ones are pretty much the same and have the same pts value with a bun or open faced, which is less pts.

Well they finally found Holly Bobo's body. This was a horrible thing back in 2011. The guy arrested a few months ago denies it, but they found her body yesterday. Her parents have gone through **** hoping she was a live, but knowing she wasn't. She was last seen at her home with a guy in hunting type clothing walking around the corner of their house and she was never seen again. It will be interesting to see if they can find any dna evidence to convict somebody of this.

My nephew's family is having a time of it. His wife was in the hospital last weekend with chest pains and last night they rushed their 15 yr old son to the hospital with a possible burst appendix. He is having surgery this morning.

I guess I should go. I have a load of laundry in the washer about ready to go into the dryer and get some chores done. Have a good day. Faye

Maggie 09-09-2014 12:33 PM

Tuesday & a Nice Chance of Rain Day

Will is at the hospitals cancer center building getting his first chemo treatment. We are so glad he is in the 3 month group for the study instead of the 6 month group. We won’t know how the chemo will affect him until this evening. They issued him 3 different kinds of pills to counteract any of the lousy upset feelings that folks used to get from the treatments. He will find out today when he is supposed to take the meds. Those 6 treatments in 3 months of chemo should kill off any cells wanting to turn into cancer they think and this is what the study is all about. That old 6 months of treatment was just a guess and cancer docs around the world are thinking that this study will help to find out if the 3 months of treatment will do the job.

I have things to do in the meantime that will keep me busy. I do want to get cracking and figure out which doll I want to make first and get the pattern copied. But . . . I still have glass to deal with and get it out of this room. I should work on that today. I have about 20 sheets each a foot square of various colors and they need to have cardboard in between each piece and put in boxes. I also have some half and quarter sheets which are big enough to cut something out of to deal with also. The glass is all in nice holders on a board set on bricks against one wall. I just need to pack up the glass and dismantle the holders. I have been dreading the job and putting it off and today would be a good day to get started on it.

DONNA FAYE That was nice of you to calm your nieces fears about her upcoming surgery. I had mine removed so many years ago when they slit me open down the front so I have a scar in the front and one in the back ~ looks like I was slit with a sword and it went clear through. Medical science has had leaps since then in so many ways.

Howdy there JEAN and SUSAN hope your day is going well with you,

PS: I picked up Will and he feels great. No side effects from the chemo treatment. He is just to follow their instructions and will have another treatment in two weeks.