Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #16  

Good Morning! It's a cool sunny day in my neighborhood. The church secretary "forgot" to set her alarm so missed out on counting this morning. There wasn't a whole lot but one couple gave $7500! We have a campaign going on to adopt a day and contribute $75 to help pay the utilities. We've had a fairly good response. There wasn't much cash from the gift shop but mostly credit card and payroll deduction sales this week. Took that to the bank and stopped back with a check to pay an invoice. The road guys are grinding up half of the street going into town so it's one lane traffic for awhile.

"Gma," we are supposed have a cool week in the 70s, almost feels like fall. on another loss this week! I wish I had Jack's determination in losing weight. He sure doesn't eat much to keep him going during the day at work. The pancake recipe looks interesting. Do you have a bullet or use a blender? I have a friend who makes a protein breakfast drink in a bullet every morning. I'm not sure I'd enjoy "cold" every morning.

Bob will be home for lunch soon so guess I'd better get a move on. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JULY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

We just got back from being out and about to pick up some needful things and seeing the buffalo. The owner now has opened the connecting gate between the pastures since the calves are big enough now so he won’t harm them. What was interesting the big bull was in the pasture that the females were and the females where in the pasture where the bull was before. They just switched sides. Guess the grass is greener on the other side.

Not much out of the ordinary happening around here to speak of. It is cooler today without so much humidity that is noteworthy since I wilt in high humidity and am not a fan of 100+˚ weather.

They are making some neat collapsible kitchen items that will work out great for the MH. Will picked up one today which is a plastic colander and can replace my heaver metal one and be kept in a drawer. I have a set of collapsible measuring cups that are kept in my flour, etc. containers which work great. We are always on the lookout for neat lighter things which will replace the heavier ones for the MH. I don’t have to get rid of my favorite appliances like my rotisserie which can be stored in the room we can use in Texas like we will be taking a freezer and washer and dryer along. When the time comes to move our friend in Texas will come and take them in a trailer along with the oak dining table and chairs we are giving to them. It will be nice that way to have a “home base” and not have to get rid of everything.

JEAN I certainly am with you for I wouldn't enjoy a cold thing like that for breakfast. Those bullet things are sure good for making one serving. I also have another container so if two folks want different kinds of smoothies you don't have to empty the first one for they are made to drink out of them. I like to make an afternoon WW smoothie snack in them on occasion.

DONNA FAYE I am glad for you that you had a loss this week and a to you. It is also nice that you are feeling better. I am so thankful that I never suffered from cramps but had some friends that sure did. Thanks for posting that recipe ~ it sounds like one we would like for sure. I put your recipe into my program and it calibrated it to be: 6 Points per serving: Calories 228, Carbs 2.1, Fat 19.1, Fiber 0; Prot. 10.3. That is calibrated without the syrup or fresh berries.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 07-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #18  

Good evening, ladies! 85 degrees right now, in the 90s earlier today. No storms for a change.

I've had something to do every day for the last 2 weeks and sometimes 2 things and that's in addition to going to the Y. My boss called me to see if I'd come in and do a special project for him and of course I couldn't say no so some of those days were for that.

I had my check up at the doc and she called today and said my labs were great except for Vitamin D so I'm going to be taking 50,000 units twice a week for the next 6 months to try to get it up.

It has been so hot and humid I'm not getting to enjoy the outdoors at all. I don't know how people could stand it before AC, especially those who worked in the fields all day.

Faye, you're doing great with your weight loss, too. Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try this week. Have you read the new Stephanie Plum book?

Jean, I have a protein shake every morning. In the winter I make it with hot almond milk. The one I use has 30 grams of protein and that keeps me feeling full all morning and I usually don't have lunch until around 1:30.

Maggie, prayers going out for Will to have a successful surgery and quick recovery. I think having a MH must be like having a big doll house. What fun to find things for it.

Have a wonderful evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #19  

Height: 5'9"

Faye, I have read your posts about your extreme cramping and flooding and I wonder, have you ever had a sonogram to determine if you might have adenomyosis? It is just a thought. I have this and they say, and I believe, that the cramps can be as bad as labor pains. I am 53 years old and am now on birth control pills and this does help with both the cramps and the flooding. Without the pills, I flooded so much that I couldn't go anywhere during my TOM.
texasnonie
TexasNonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It was 69 degrees at 4:30 this AM but I saw it is going to get mid 80's today which is a lot better than mid 90's which it had been. You never know these days. I saw a friend of mine posted on FB last night it was 59 degrees up there at 9 PM so colder up north for now.

Jack brought home some zip ties so we can put our luggage tags on when we can print them out. We bought plastic sleeves for them this year so we can just fold them and slide them in and not have to laminate them like in past years. I think people are nuts to just put the paper ones on as they print them from their computers and it isn't like the heavy duty stuff you get with airline tags. Even if you wait and get them at the terminal they are computer paper so rip pretty easily. One more thing accomplished before the trip. I have started my "lists." I have one with to dos, one hygiene, meds and stuff to take, one with stuff like electronics, knitting, etc to take and one things to buy yet. I haven't even started my clothing one yet. I want to wait until I have the little sweater and hats then I will start. We plan on packing over the holiday weekend and then lugging it all downstairs. We always pack early so we can just load stuff up the night before and be on our way the next morning. We are leaving later this year as Jack wants to run by chick fila to get a breakfast biscuit. I will probably get their whole grain bagel as they are really good. The hotel has gym equipment in Chattanooga, but I think I will get a nice walk in just in the area the hotel is at as it is a type of side street that they are building up so there is little traffic as there is no place to go past the hotel yet or at least there wasn't last year so we shall see I guess. I know I have to get walking in so I don't gain weight as I have no control over what they serve other tha to make decent choices as best as I can.

I am feeling much better today so I hope to finally tackle downstairs at least part of it. I need to work on Thomas's socks too and get one done so Jack can try it on to see if I need to make the ankle part smaller than the foot circumference. Can't wait to get the baby yarn though.

Jean: I have a full sized Ninja blender that is their most powerful one. I have to tell you it works like nobodies business. I haven't ever put ice in it, but Jack did when we bought it and man it pulverizes for sure so smoothies and such would be great I would think. I tend not to drink my meals just because with this hormonal stuff I get so hungry. I have a friend that uses slimfast powder and ice and water every morning. Ick! I find all that kind of stuff tastes so metallic to me. You are so very diligent in your volunteerism. The other gal that overslept gets paid to do it, doesn't she? would think utilities and repairs would be the big expense for a church nowadays.

Susan: Do you think I might like almond milk? I hate the taste of cow's milk and always have. I am not much of a cereal eater, but I thought maybe I would eat more whole grained cereal if I liked almond milk.

Maggie: I know Will is gearing up for his surgery soon so prayers go out to him and you too. I just bought these clear plastic canisters I am going to put stuff in once we get rolling on the house stuff. I have I love Lucy canisters now, which are cute, but they are metal, hard to keep the plastic top clean and can get rusty if I don't keep them dry around the bottom.

Well girls I need to go. You all have a good Tuesday. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 07-29-2014 at 09:38 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood, partly sunny and a cool 70 degrees. I braved the grocery store this morning for ingredients to make a snack mix for the auxiliary bake sale. One is called Mexican Mix so am wondering if I should rename it in remembrance of the Mexicans who work in the hospital. It has taco seasoning so maybe Taco Mix. That is my sole "have to" project this afternoon.

Maggie, that is funny about the buffalo switching places. It's nice that Will is on the lookout for items to outfit the motor home.

Susan, how nice of you to help your boss! He just doesn't want you to forget him. What is the difference if something is measured in units rather than mg, etc.? I just looked at my Vitamin D - 3, and it says 1000 IU. Also, do you use whey protein? Not sure what that is but saw it in a recipe.

"Gma," I'm so glad you are feeling better! I'd rather chew than drink, but have seen articles pushing the protein drinks. I rarely use my blender simply because I don't like cleaning it. Bob likes almond milk on his cereal. The church secretary is way over paid!!!!! Her "summer hours" are 7:30-3:30, and school month hours are 7:30-4:30. She is on the school schedule for late start, early dismissal, or no school because of weather. She has the pastor buffaloed because she is a computer whiz but does NOTHING above and beyond. She gets volunteers to do things while she sits at her desk and answers the phone and greets people who might walk in the door. She is "sick" quite often and either comes in late, leaves early, or doesn't come in at all. All for $30,000 a year!

I need to sort through my cookbooks and decide which ones I'm going to part with. Maybe after I make the snack mix. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #22  

Good evening, ladies! A wonderful day in the low 80s with no humidity.

All I did was go to workout at the Y this morning and then I read the afternoon away.

Faye, Most people like Almond Milk. I also like the Almond and Coconut blend. I get the unsweetened so it is very low calorie.

Jean, I'll move to Iowa and thake that secretary job! I'd love to get paid to sit and greet and talk on the phone. I use whey protein or a combination of whey and casein. Drinking 30 grams of protein fills you up until lunch!

Hi, Maggie!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 07-29-2014 at 06:42 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #23  

Good morning all. I have a sick stomach this morning. Weird. It happens sometimes with me and it goes away all by itself with no vomiting or anything, just a queasy feeling for awhile. I am nothing if not original. :LOL:

Boy, I am seriously a slacker this week. I still haven't started on cleaning again. We have had such humidity that my arthritis in my knees have been acting up for a couple weeks now. It is not serious, but it makes me a bit lazy on days when they are really stiff like yesterday. I have to get on the ball today though and get something done. Jack just left for work and I started a load of laundry and am going to get up from here and start on some of the cleaning and get the stuff done early. We are going to be cooler for the next few days and tomorrow I am going to get my nails done and such so need to get stuff done today.

Jean: Wow that's a pretty good paycheck for sitting on your heiny and answering the phone. She obviously has your pastor bamboozled. What does your snack mix have in it? I saw a recipe yesterday for John Wayne casserole. Don't have any idea why it had anything to do with John Wayne, but it certainly looked a lot like seven layer dip except they put mayo in it, ugh! They mixed the grated cheese, sour cream and something else with mayo. That part just didn't sound appetizing when you baked it up. I am not anti mayo but it just sounded icky. I should get rid of cookbooks too. I have some I haven't opened in years. I tend to get a lot of recipes online these days.

Susan: Thanks for the info, I may just try it. I would like the almond coconut as long as it wasn't coconut flakes in it, which I doubt is the case with it being milk.

You all have a nice Wednesday. Trash day today so anybody's guess as to whether it will get picked up today or not. Faye
Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful cool, sunny day in my corner of the world. I spent the morning with my monthly coffee date friend. I didn't tell her but I almost forgot! Over the weekend, Monday, and yesterday I kept thinking I was supposed to be someplace or remember to do something. I kept checking my calendar and nothing stood out. I finally checked my purse calendar and there was my coffee date! I'd forgotten to write it on the kitchen calendar; I was thankful I found it in time! I made one snack mix yesterday and will make another one when I finish here. I need to do some laundry too.

Susan, I admire you for going to the Y in such hot weather. I guess since I am in and out of the church office, Bob is lay leader (go to guy) for the church, and we both are on different boards, I know too much about what does and doesn't go on with the secretary. Other members will ask me why she is gone so much so it isn't just me.

"Gma," I sure hope you are feeling better. I hate that "icky" feeling when things just don't feel right. I will send you the recipes. Our weather has been so nice, it's kind of weird. Usually it's hot and humid in July.

I need to get busy. Bob was late coming home for lunch and just left to go back to the office. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Raining Wonderland Wendsay

We didn’t do much out of the ordinary today but sure had fun. It is so much better now that the baby buffalo girls are old enough to have their daddy the big Male Buffalo in the same area with them now. We are getting things rounded up that I will need while Will is in the hospital so I won’t have to go shopping.

DONNA FAYE I made those pancakes you posted and I call them more like crepes so I renamed the recipe and call them Cream Cheese Crepes. They were tasty with fresh strawberries rolled up inside of them. I can imagine using outer fruit in the future for they are a definite do again for Will likes them also.

JEAN That is great that you found you had that date by looking in your purse calendar. You would have felt molded if you had missed it. I mostly just use my small purse calendar for things for I add items as I get them and refer to it.

SUSAN Today the buffalo were all togegther in one end or the other end of their pastures. There is shelter in both sides along with a source of water. That almond milk is great for smoothies.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #26  

Good morning to you all. Today is do errands and get my nails and toes done day. It is nice and cool here but totally cloudy and we are supposed to get rain so I am going to have to hunt up an umbrella. A purse, cane and umbrella is going to be interesting to deal with to say the least.

My knee is giving me absolute fits today. It is sore behind the knee, which makes it hard to sit in chairs, but not much I can do. I put icy hot on it and that didn't help and then the heating pad on low last night, which felt better as long as the heating pad stayed on it. I can't carry the heating pad around though. Part of it is losing weight though. The muscles do this in my thighs and tushy cheeks when I lose weight so I imagine that is what it is here too as it feels the same way. It is not the front of the knee but the very upper calf and very lower thigh right at the knee.

I changed our reservation in Fort Lauderdale to advance pay then called them because they didn't ask for a new credit card. Their national website is irritating as the devil as it is all automated. I finally gave the voice some nonsensical stuff so he would transfer me so I could make sure they were going to charge me. We have never stayed at a Hyatt House which is like Residence Inn by Marriot. We have a two room suite and we got it for $117, which isn't bad at all and that includes breakfast. We decided to go with it instead of a higher priced hotel that including parking because we added it up and it is cheaper this way. We prepaid to park and the shuttle takes us right to the terminal and back for $53 for the whole week of parking and it is in a secured lot that way too.

I got my hats yesterday and my sweater and both of them are going to work out great. I bought a white hat and one called mist, which I thought was either a very light green or blue, but it is actually a really pale lavender and very pretty. They will be easy to pack and you can adjust the inner band if you want it more snug. It provides a shade to the face and neck too and is cooler than the straw hats I have. My shrug is perfect as I bought it to go with a brown sleeveless turtleneck tank that has gold sparkle in it and a broomstick skirt in brown and tan patterns with little jewels in the skirt. The shrug is oatmeal colored and has gold metallic thread in it so it is perfect. I have brown sandals I can wear with it to dinner.

Maggie: I totally agree they are much better called a crepe and I found them very tasty. I just ate them with syrup, but I think next time I will put fresh fruit in them instead of on them and mix a bit of cream cheese with a syrup and roll them all together. Glad you liked them.

Jean: I always keep all my appts on little post its on my computer. I take them off and throw them away when they come. I also put future stuff up there like I have one that says to make an apt with my regular doctor in January. I should use the calendar in my Ipad, but I don't mess with it much. Thanks for the recipes they look great. I will make some for Jack to take on the trip. I may be able to adjust them somewhat for me, but I have to be careful snacking on carbs.

Everyone have a great day. I need to do my blood glucose and eat breakfast. Faye
Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #27  

Good Afternoon! Another beautiful sunny, cool, NO wind day in my corner of the world. I went to get my fingers and toes done this morning; the shop was busy so it took a little longer than usual. Then I braved the grocery store. Made another batch of Mexican Munchies for the bake sale this afternoon. Bob liked it but I think it is too salty maybe. For some reason I kept thinking the bake sale was tomorrow even though I knew the supper part is tonight. Each Thursday a different organization prepares food to coordinate with the Farmer's Market. I think they are grilling chicken tonight.

Our brain tumor friend ended up in the hospital and has been transferred to a rehab facility where he will get daily therapy. An MRI showed the cancer cells in the tumor are dying but he is so weak that he can't help with shifting his weight from one place to another. The therapist and cancer doctor - surgeon say they have to retrain his brain to do/move his body to do what he wants it to do. I hope it works!

Maggie, tell me again when Will's surgery is scheduled. I tried to find it in a previous post but could not. Do you have to drive far to visit the buffalo? We have noticed some late calves lately as we drive through the country. They are fun to watch chasing around in the fields.

"Gma," we could use a nice gentle rain if you care to share. The grocery store was super cold this morning. I know the check out gal and overheard the lady in front of me say it was too cold in her opinion. All of the clerks and baggers had on sweaters or jackets. When it was my turn, she said they had been working on the air conditioners all week. Glad you like your hats and shrug. I put post it notes on my cupboard but usually it's something I want to remember that day or the next, or to tell Bob.

I need to bag my last batch of snacks and get them ready to take to the park. Hope you all enjoy a nice day.

Last edited by Jean; 07-31-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice HOT Sunny Day

It is a lovely hot day here in the ♥-Land. I just got back from having lunch with the museum crowd and we had a lovely time yacking it up. The director has become a great friend of ours and we are so glad he has a good sense of humor as do most of the folks that work there. Will will get home around 3 and then we will go out shopping so I will have all I need when he is in the hospital.

I ran across a great deal on 100% cotton multicolor cloths ~ 13 ½ long and 13 ½ wide ~ which come in a set of 10 and if I order them soon they will send me 10 more. These will be great in the MH for various jobs around the place besides the kitchen for they have a strong scrubbing texture. Will is always needing a rag for use with something or other and these cotton ones will be the ticket for him also. I am always on the look-out for things that will be of helpful service in the MH.

DONNA FAYE Isn't it wonderful that your latest order came and you don't have to return the items. Your sweater sounds yummy for sure ~ wear it with a smile on your face.

JEAN It is a beautiful day here also and still ~ no wind for a change. Will's surgery is scheduled for early on the 5th of August. The surgeon wants this to he his first of the day. He had to quit taking his vitamins and arthritis meds today so his system will be cleaned out by then. Then on the 4th he has to drink lots of gator aide along with some other bad tasting stuff to get his system more cleaned out so as to get the operation prep done at home. I will be getting up early with him on the 5th so I can drive the Jeep home so I will have some transportation. I have had many people offer to drive me anywhere but as long as I can use the Jeep I will be fine. Nice of them to offer for sure.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-31-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #29  

Good morning to you all. I have a sick hubby on my hands this morning. Mainly stubborn because I can't get him to take any immodium, which would probably clear it up. Men! He must feel bad enough now, because he just ask me where it was. He took a vacation day so if he is better in a few hours I think we will go commissary shopping today instead of Sunday.

Got my nails and toes done yesterday and spent $75 at WM mostly on fruit for heaven's sake. I also buy ham steaks there because the commissary hasn't been carrying them and mash potatoes because they are hit and miss at the commissary.

I got my yarn for the baby stuff yesterday but discovered I don't have a short circ needle in the size I need to make the hat so I had to order one. I bought one of every size they have in the shorter cables so where the heck is the thing? I also found navy capris so bought a pair because I have been looking for them and haven't been able to find any.

Maggie: As one person who has had two colon surgeries, 2 lower GI testing and Jack had a colonoscopy and did the same thing, I suggest he get Miralax and mix it with gator aid instead. It does the same thing and it doesn't make you gag. They want the colon clean to go in there and cut and if the stuff tastes so bad you barf it back up it does no good. This is what was suggested to me by my sil, who has been a nurse for 35 years and when Jack had his colonoscopy, the doctor told him to use it. It is tasteless and mixes well in the gator aid. Just be sure he is close to a restroom the whole time as once it starts it takes about 6-8 hours to completely be clean. Wishing him well!

Jean: Oh, I hope that is positive news for your friend and eventually he will regain strength. You can have our rain. It didn't rain yesterday, but it was dark and cloudy all day and is supposed to rain today.

Everyone have a grand weekend. Faye
Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world. I started going through a few things in the basement and hauled them out to the garage. Actually I went down to vacuum kitty litter, and decided a few things could/should go. We don't spend any time down there so the less stuff, the better! I need to go visit my cat chore cat and do a few dishes that didn't fit in the dishwasher which is doing it's job as I type. Plan to do some more sorting when I get back. Not much going on here today.

Maggie, I know both you and Will will be glad when his surgery is behind him. It's nice of your friends to offer their help should you need anything.

"Gma," I hope Jack is feeling better! Does WM mark their fresh produce as to where it comes from? Both of our grocery stores do, but since I don't shop for groceries at WM, I've never checked there. You will find the missing knitting needle when you are looking for something else.

I need to go visit the cat! Hope you all enjoy your day!