Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #84

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

We had a real gulley washer again during the night and all the loud thunder and lightning kept most, if not all, of the neighborhood dogs joining in. We have 100% chance of rain today so we are in for some more of it. This area of the ♥-land is behind on the moisture table so it is welcomed. We went several years without much rain at all here.

There is a tracker service that comes with the company where I ordered that folding knife charm and it is half way here now from Maine. I should probably get it sometime this coming week then install it on my bracelet. After I get it on my bracelet I am going to make a list in the order that the charms are on it and weigh it once again to see how many ounces it weighs now.

JEAN It sounds like you are having a nice time at the cabin. Hopefully all is well there.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all. Kind of a crazy weekend here because of his sister. They were supposed to be here on Saturday and we sat around like dopes until I told him to call her and find out what was going on. Well they got to Knoxville and decided to call it quits for the day but never called to tell us they weren't coming on in. She said they would meet us for breakfast on Sunday at Bob Evans. They then didn't call on Sunday to let us know what time they would get into town. Again, I told Jack to call her around 10 AM and she said they were only about an hour away and would meet us for lunch. We showed up at the restaurant about 15 minutes early and Jack called to see where they were expecting them any minute. Oh, we are an hour away! Even though it was only 11 AM and the mall doesn't open until noon, we drove over there, parked and went into the food court, got a drink and sat and waited in the mall at the table. Jack didn't bring his Ipad, but I had and I fooled around on it and he did on his phone as the mall has wifi and we went back over to the restaurant about 5 minutes to noon, went in and put our name in and sat and waited and they finally showed up. Sheesh.

After finding out they weren't coming on Saturday, Jack took me to see the Jersey Boys movie. It was great. It was almost full and no one under 50 except a girl next to me who came with her mom. I told Jack I hadn't seen such a gathering of white hair, hearing aids, and canes in a long time. We enjoyed the movie very much and even me being a mega fan of the group I found out things I didn't know about them.

I weighed in and am up about 3 lbs, but not unexpected for more than one reason partly because of restaurant eating and partly because of trying to get my meds in line again. I don't feel safe walking even in the complex anymore as we had 2 shootings a day apart going different directions, but only about a mile from the house either way. My treadmill has gone by the wayside too so Jack and I talked and decided at least on the weekends we would try to go out to the mall in the morning and walk the mall. That will give me some good long walking and help build up my stamina. Together with that and walking in the commissary and Walmart at least I will get some exercise that way for the time being. I imagine after we get back from vacation we will again talk about joining the Y.

Jean: What a wonderful lady. I think she should get new glasses no matter what her age so she can continue to read to the people that she wants to read to. If I am going to live to be that old I hope I have a full life like she does. We are really, really soggy here. It has rained none stop and hard most of the time since Friday. We have rivers overflowing and neighborhoods with streets underwater and on and on. We have a lot of low lying areas. I saw a picture of a beautiful expensive neighborhood here and the cars all had water up to their windows if they parked outside their garages on the street.

Maggie: Hope your sleeping is better. Have fun with your bracelet.

You all have a good start to your week. Off to do more knitting. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! Rain, rain, and more rain . . . . GO AWAY!!!!! It is getting lighter in the west so hope it is finished for a few days! The streets down town have water over the curbs and there is standing water in the ditches or any low place in yards. Talk about being water logged to the max! We had a thunderstorm during the night and a lightning display that movie producers would love.

My iPad, all of a sudden, won't let me read horizontally. It keeps flipping so I have to turn it vertically. Crazy thing! As far as I know I didn't do anything! I know I am smarter than it is!

Maggie, you can quit sharing your rain! We've had enough for awhile.

"Gma," I'm glad you finally met up with Jack's sister, but what a challenge to do so! Glad you enjoyed the movie. I will watch for it here. You will have the pesky 3#s gone in no time! Your walking plan sounds good to me. Thanks for staring the new thread!

I need to get clothes in the dryer, and vacuum fur bunnies. Hope you all enjoy your day!

Last edited by Jean; 06-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is another hot day here in the ♥-Land and we are cooking outside for dinner. Nothing but our favorite hamburgers with lean beef. I lemon pepper them liberally and they are quite tasty.

I showed another maintain today at weigh in. Guess I am on a plateau for I do watch what I eat. I ordered a book by a gentleman who lost a lot of weight and talks about set points and plateaus so I will see what he says when I get it for he just might have some pointers I can use.

YIPEKIO my knife earrings came today. They came on large silver ear wires that are great. I had plenty of wire from them to make a nice loop to hang the knife on my bracelet. The earrings came in a nice metal box with a great file in which to keep the blade is 5/8th of an inch long and sharp. The blade is tough to open so won’t be coming open during any action my bracelet gets when I am wearing it. I typed up a list of all that I have on it now and will e-mail it to you so you can see what I now have. I don’t plan on putting anymore on it but you just don’t know when something special comes along and I just have to have it. It currently weighs 3.9 pounds which is a lot of gold and silver. Like I said I don’t plan on adding any more charms to it.

DONNA FAYE I can imagine what a relief you have to have that meeting with those folks over with. Not the most considerate folks I would imagine. Those pounds will be gone before you know it my friend for you know you lose in chunks.

JEAN We are still not out of the drought we have experienced the past few years. Guess we are on the 7 year cycle for this year is catch up year it seems. What we have been getting is being soaked up nicely so not much water standing around here. I thought you might get a kick out of this. Cecil does share the dogs water when it is nice and fresh but Beanie does get it messed up at times and the cat lets us know about it. When we came in from being out and about today I observed Cecil drinking out of my bathroom toilet. Well that water is nice and clean and I checked the bowl out in the kitchen and sure enough it had "stuff" in it. We weren't home for Cecil to whine at us about it so he got his fresh water elsewhere. He may have been drinking out of it before but I never caught him at it.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It is pretty sticky here already this morning and we are supposed to get into the low 90's so it will be hot.

I am coming along on the sweater after ripping the whole thing out and starting again. I would have sworn I ordered the same color as the one I originally started and even swore I looked on the yarn band for the color then ordered, but the colors were completely off so when I received the yarn and saw it was off, just ripped it out and used the one I got on Friday. I had to order a couple more skeins but hopefully it will be the same lot number. If not, I will blend it in so it will be ok.

Kelly and Tom are going on a weekend cruise for their anniversary of the 12th so I just bought them an on board credit for their anniversary and his birthday, which is next month. Hopefully then can spend that much in 3 days on board.

Though my inconsiderate sil did not call us like I asked to let us know they got home ok, I saw he posted on FB they were home so they got home ok. I tell you, drives me nuts sometimes. I do worry when family and friends travel in this day and age.

We are going to have chicken cooked in the crockpot, mash pot, gravy and green beans for dinner. I may opt out of the potatoes and eat a salad instead. I am going to keep the car on Thursday and get my nails done and walk the whole perimeter of the store and such for some exercise then go to the mall on Saturday and the commissary on Sunday so will at least get some walking in. I may start keeping the car once a week and go to the mall or Walmart or something and walk then walk with Jack on the weekend. I will probably opt for the mall as I can sit down if need be better than WM, which only has benches in front there.

Maggie: Hope you like you little charm. I like to take dried onion and mix in our burgers and sometimes I put some worcestershire mixed in too.

Jean: I have a problem all the time with my Ipad and it drives me nuts. I will be at a website reading something and it jumps around all over the place. It is especially bad if I am looking at Lowes or Home Depot for some reason. I get so mad I want to throw the thing. Jack told me there is a new update for it so I am doing the Iphone right now and will do the Ipad when I get done here. I have my timer on at the moment as I forgot to put soda in the fridge last night and all of it is hot so I put a few cans in freezer and set a timer so they aren't in too long and don't know if the updating would screw that up any. I am sick of the rain too and we aren't supposed to get any for a few days anyway. Our suv needs a good bath, but why pay the money to have it rained on?

You all have a nice Tuesday. Faye
Old 07-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, it's very windy, and it's quite cool today. No rain so far, which is good! I had a perm this morning -- 3 hours. *groan* I'm making a grocery list as we are out of some staples and low on others. Lunch was slim pickings according to Bob. I need to decide on food for the 4th too.

Maggie, I'm sure you will get the scale moving downward soon! I trust you take your bracelet off when you weigh. Cecil would be sol at this house! We have always put the toilet seats down because our first cat was so tiny I was afraid she would fall in and drown. The gal who gave me the perm this morning is feeding a stray cat who had kittens in her garage. She brought one of the kittens into the shop, and I got to snuggle with it, long black fur with big blue eyes. It is just a little fuzz ball, so cute.

"Gma," I can sympathize with ripping your sweater out. Hope the yarn will match when it comes. I held the two buttons down/off on the iPad until the apple appeared, left it alone for awhile, and when I came back to it, it worked fine. I did install the newest update too. That's the first time that's ever happened to me. I have noticed if a site isn't finished downloading, it will jump to another site. At first I thought you were talking about putting baking soda in your freezer.

I need to finish my list and get going. Enjoy the rest or your day!

Last edited by Jean; 07-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday & a Nice Hot Sunny Not Windy Day

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JULY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Happy first day of a new month ~ let’s make it a good month for our programs. I am anxiously awaiting for the arrival of The Gabriel Method by Jon Gabriel who addresses set points and plateaus.

It was up into the high 90˚’s again today which makes me so thankful we have good air conditioning in this house and in the Jeep. The animals like staying inside when it is so hot outside, as we humans do. I didn’t have much on my ticket to do this day so did something needed doing and started cleaning out kitchen cupboards. Not a fun but necessary chore once in awhile to find the things lurking in the back out of sight.

While out and about today we ran into a gal that works at our favorite coffee place and she asked Will to please come to her house and remove a tire from her vehicle so she could take it down and have it fixed. We went over there and took care of it for her.

When we went to Walmart® I stayed in the Jeep while Will went in to get some things to clean the outside of the Jeep since we were out of stuff to do that job. Anyway he bought me a ger-prize of silver glitter top coat which I will apply after while. I will do a base coat then a couple coats of clear then a coat of this glitter. That other glitter polish I have lasted quite awhile on my nails and it was multicolored.

DONNA FAYE I don't have any problems with my I-Pad for I rarely ever turn it on. I may use it more when we travel though. Please post a picture of you current knitting project for I love to see your handy-work.

JEAN OH I most certainly do take my bracelet off when I weigh ~ that is one quarter of a pound I don't want showing up in the total. Cecil is such a big cat I don't think he would fall in but if he did he could surely get out but would be one mad cat. That little kitten you got to snuggle sound so adoreable.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #8  

Good morning gals. Hot and sticky but lovely and sunny too. I am off in about half an hour to go get my nails and toes done and pick up some fill in groceries until we go to the commissary on Sunday. I will get a good walk out as everything I want is spread throughout the store today. I always take my Ipad and put a grocery list on my notes app. It works out great and I erase each thing as I pick it up so I don't forget anything. I can also sit and goof off with it while I am waiting to get my nails done if need be.

I ordered a couple gift cards for my dil whose birthday is the 21st so I am done with birthdays and anniversaries until after we get back from vacation. I am glad about that.

Since we are going to grill some ribs for the 4th, I am going to put the grill plates in black trash bags with a bottle of ammonia each and lay them in the sun tomorrow. It loosens the gook on them and they are easier to clean. Jack has a new big tough wire brush to use on them as well. I think I am going to fix some scalloped potatoes (would like potato salad but Jack doesn't eat anything with mayo in it) and some grilled corn on the cob with parmesan and garlic on them. I may leave mine plain and then put mayo and chili powder as I like Mexican corn. It sounds disgusting but it is really really good if you don't glop on the mayo but brush a thin layer on.

Maggie: I am going to take the sweater with me on vacation so I hope to get it done by this fall and I will surely post a pic of it. It is a sleeveless tunic style and really easy to knit. I believe they have a thread here somewhere for people on the Gabriel method.

Jean: People up north where I grew up call it pop, but I have always called coke stuff soda. Funny though putting baking soda in the freezer than in the fridge. I never thought about taking my bracelet off when I go to the doctor. These are heavy so no wonder my lbs don't match up to home. I will definitely have to remember that.

Well gals I need to finish up a couple things here than skedaddle. I want to buy a bottle of purple polish at WM before I get my nails done. Have a great middle of the week. Faye
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #9  

Good Morning! It's windy, spitting rain drops, and a cold 55 degrees in my neighborhood this morning! I wonder what the Weather God has against us?! I've been to get my nails done, and now need to find a recipe for a spaghetti casserole. If it's cold at the lake, a hot dish will taste good. Even if it warms up, I am taking it! Other than that it is more laundry, the afghan (which I've been ignoring), and vacuuming the fur bunnies. Maybe I will undust too.

Maggie, I can't help but wonder what kind of weather you are having today since we have cooled off so much. Have fun with the glitter polish!

"Gma," I have heard about putting oven and grill grates in the garbage bags with ammonia. I've never tried it so let us know how it works. Bob found a metal brush bristle on a piece of meat one time. Shortly after that, there was a warning in a magazine not to use the wire brushes on the grill grates for that very reason. I wonder if I've eaten any and not known it. I like any kind of potato! I'm anxiously awaiting sweet corn, just hope this wet weather doesn't kill the crop. Have fun being out and about today!

Hope you all enjoy a warm and Wonderful Wednesday! :warm:

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #10  

Jean, I emailed you a spaghetti casserole recipe. Actually I emailed you two, but I sent the wrong one the first time and it had ketchup in it. ICK! I sent the second one, which looks pretty good and not to difficult. I would imagine to can and and take out what people won't eat or you don't like.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Sad Day in the Heartland

I am beat today. At 3 am Will asked me to go along with him to the hospital so I quickly got dressed and off we went. Turns out he was admitted and will probably be there till tomorrow so they can run some more tests. He is anemic and they are trying to locate the source of where blood is leaking for he is low on blood. What made him want to get to the hospital was he thought he had a mild heart attack for he experienced the symptoms “they say” will happen. Well his BP is good and there is no evidence of a heart attack. They did some more blood drawing and discovered he has a blood leak ~ now to find out where he is leaking for he is anemic and shows no vitamin D in his system even though he takes that along with a multivitamin. So far today they have given him a transfusion and done some more tests. I will be going back up to the hospital in a little while.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #12  

Maggie, I am so sorry to hear about Will! He is where he needs to be for sure. How scary for you both! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

"Gma," I got the recipes. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Another hot one and more rain possibly though it said we wouldn't get more rain so someone is lying!

Got my nails and toes done in purple! I am not sure I like it though. The bottle looked a lot lighter than the color that came out. I had to do some shopping and got that done and then picked up my chili and came home and had lunch and put everything away.

I need to put the grates in the ammonia this morning if it doesn't rain. It's hard to tell looking out at the window right now.

Say a prayer for Jack's head boss, the plant manager Mike. I guess a week ago he went to Nashville for some Oddfellows meeting and was a flag bearer. As he was coming through the door, he tripped and hit his head very hard in the door frame. They rushed him to the hospital as he cut his head really badly and did something to three vertebrae. They had to go in and fuse them and he is paralyzed at the moment and still in the hospital in Nashville. Prognosis is he will be out for almost 2 years so Jack thinks they may make him retire since he has been with the city over 30 years.

Maggie: Oh my gosh how frightening for the both of you. Keep up informed on how he is doing and what they find out. I will be praying for him for sure.

Jean: I am sorry for the ketchup recipe! I didn't realize you had a tried and true one you used. I guess I read it wrong and thought you were looking for one. I like baked spaghetti, but you know who won't eat it for who knows what reason since he will eat my lasagna, which is different noodles but made the same way! BBQ spaghetti is popular here in Memphis. The inventor is actually someone I have met several times and if you ever watch the food shows and see the Neelys show, it is his uncle who does it. His restaurant Interstate BBQ has been on numerous travel channel shows and it is only about 4 miles from the plant so Jack and I sometimes go to lunch there on payday because Jack has an hour for lunch on paydays instead of half an hour.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday tomorrow. We aren't doing anything special just grilling out. Faye
Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #14  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, no wind, and it has warmed up to 54 degrees. It was 49 when I came downstairs this morning. I hope this isn't the end of summer! I need to finish my food menu for the lake, clear off the counter, and finish vacuuming. I am anxiously waiting for the guys to bring my new microwave.

"Gma," what a scary thing to happen to Jack's boss! I hope he is able to get back the use of his legs. Is that the job Jack was testing for? I have seen the Neelys on the cooking channel, but not lately.

Maggie, hope Will is feeling lots better today.

I need to get busy! You all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking

Thanks Magnolias for your good thoughts. I just got back from visiting Will at the hospital and delivering some things he requested. The surgeon visited with him this morning and feels he won’t have to do any cutting for they think he just well may have a bleeding ulcer which is causing his blood loss. They will put cameras in him on Saturday to determine if that is the case or just what it is if not that. He may be in the hospital into next week and come out with a very bland diet. Everybody I have met at that hospital that works there are such nice people. I had my cane with me today since I knew I would have a bit of a long walk and they even offered me a wheel chair. I said no thanks that I really needed the walk. I also needed to put gas in the Jeep didn’t feel like it so I went inside and asked one of the clerks if he would put gas in my vehicle. He said sure with a smile that he would be happy to do that and told me I could wait inside the store. Lots of folks have offered to help me out if I need them which is a real comfort. I need to pick up a couple of items from the dollar store but will wait until tomorrow when there won’t be that many shoppers. When I drove by it today the parking lot was packed.

JEAN A new microwave! I surely hope you like it and it works great for years to come. I will be yard selling mine ~ there is a good one in the MH. Will is in good spirits and has the doctors and nurses laughing. He is sure not liking being in the hospital though even it is a really good one.

DONNA FAYE What an accident that was to happen to Jack's boss. You just never know do you when things like that will happen. I don't like it when the actual dried color is darker than it looks in the bottle but usually it looks OK ~ just not what I thought I bought and I think you may be the same way.