Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #31  

Ok ladies here's the scoop since I have told my kids. I was finally called back this morning. Let me digress so you can understand how truly angry I am. Because I have two siblings and a mother who died of diabetic complications, I have my A1C level checked twice a year. In August it was 6.4 which is borderline you should be 6 or below, but my doctor at the time said we would keep an eye on it. In February I had a new dr who is my current one and we did another A1C. She said if all was the same or ok I wouldn't hear from her and I didn't. Well, my former gyn had the file at the time when the results came in, put them in the file and had it refiled instead of giving it to my regular dr. My
A1C was 8.5!!!!!. I assumed all was ok. My female stuff had stopped completely the 10th of June so everything was hunky dorey. Gyn left the practice and gave me a prescription for the hormone double the dosage and said it could be filled if I started bleeding again. The second week of Sept it came roaring back with spotting, bloody tissue and blood clotting so I filled the prescription and took it everyday without fail. A week or so before the cruise I started having urge incontinence problems that were bad. I would stand up and urinate all over myself and couldn't stop it. I wore pads all the time but sometimes it just wasn't enough. I wet on myself several times on the cruise and I knew what was up because the urine was sweet smelling. I called my dr and got in as soon as I could, which was last Friday. She did a stick test in my urine and said I was spilling huge amounts of sugar. She did several blood tests including my tryglcerides, cholesterol, hdl and ldl, my liver and kidney function and my sodium potassium and another A1C test. (all except the A1C level were excellent btw) I got a call from PEM this morning, which is the pharmacy teaching group so I had my answer since the dr didn't call. I am so very, very angry on more than one level. On Friday my A1c was 14.2, my glucose on an empty stomach of 8 hours was 376!!!! On top of that I found out from an article my daughter sent me more about the drug and blood sugar levels : "Before taking this medicine tell your doctor…If you have diabetes. Megestrol may increase your blood sugar and change your insulin needs. You and your doctor may need to watch your glucose levels closely while you are getting this drug. Megestrol can affect your blood glucose (sugar) levels. A few people even develop diabetes while taking this drug. If you notice dry mouth, unexplained thirst, poor appetite, and increased urination, talk to your doctor. If you have diabetes, watch your blood sugar carefully." The gyn over 18 months of taking this drug never once checked my blood sugar. She didn't give the Feb test to my regular doctor and we could have started my plan back then. Kelly said I should possibly file a lawsuit. She said with the gyn knowing my family history and my obesity they should have never put me on a chronic dosage. On top of that, she doubled the dosage from 20 to 40 mg. It is extremely possible this drug helped push me right over the edge. So, I have an appt a week from tomorrow to get things rolling. I would have liked to get in sooner but that was their first appt. Jack is going to go with me which is great as he can be part of this all and ask all the questions he wants to.

I am ok about contracting the disease. I am already on the diabetic diet, which is where I got the exchange program in the first place a year ago and am really proactive about health stuff so I will deal with this, but frankly the part that scared me is thinking about what could have happened on the ship!!!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #32  

I wrote my first post today and it came up twice so I deleted one and both disappeared so I wrote the second one and now I see two again. I guess my eyesight is going.

Faye, I'm really sorry you have had to go through all this. You know the ADA changed their stand and is now on board with a low carb diet. Once you get on medication, things should start resolving. It's a good thing you changed your diet. You may be able to get off meds after losing more weight and with a consistent exercise program. Write down all your questions and take notes when you have your appointment. I always read all the fine print on the medications I am taking and do research on the internet for side affects. The doc was a little upset with me when I told him I was stopping Fosamax but there is too much evidence that it causes spontaneous thigh bone breaks and not enough good to offset it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #33  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is trying to shine through hazy clouds and it's a "warm" 32 degrees with a slight breeze blowing. It's supposed to be in the 50s this afternoon so I am hoping the weatherman was right. I have crafty club this afternoon and a meeting at church tonight. I need to dust and vacuum this morning.

Susan -- I so admire your commitment to exercise! I don't think there is any place around here that gives senior discounts except the usual McDs., and the grocery stores on certain days. We have way too many people in this state who think everything is FREE and don't hesitate to ask for anything they might want let alone need.

"Gma" -- What can I say but I'm so sorry! You have every right to be so angry and I wouldn't blame you for filing a lawsuit! I now hope you will get some satisfaction from your next doctor's appointment! With Amanda's mom being a long time diabetic, Bob's brother since he was 11, and now Amanda, I know how important it is to be aware of the disease, the symptoms, numbers, and meds.

I need to round up the extra wastebasket contents and bag them for the garbage collection today. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday! November is flying by so fast!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #34  

This thread is closed. Please join us at Steel Magnolias #64.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote