3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Worldy Chicks - August's Attitude of Gratitude (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/285637-worldy-chicks-augusts-attitude-gratitude.html)

Laura705 08-28-2013 10:40 AM

Morning all.

Annie - How nice that your son will be staying by you once a week and you can hopefully spend more time with him. Good luck to him in plumbing school!! The Thai Basil Chicken is yummy, but it does contain thai chili peppers and is spicy. It has other great flavors - garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce (warning: sodium alert!) and of course, basil. Not sure if cutting back or eliminating the chilis would negatively impact the dish. I haven't had sloppy joe's in ages - I might have to dig up a recipe and make some one day. Maybe I'll choose a few ground beef recipes and tackle them all on a weekend day. Yeh, we've had a lot of dry weather lately and I got out after work yesterday to water the veggies. I don't know how the green beans respond to the hot dry weather we've had, but bf picked a batch yesterday and i'll keep an eye on the plants.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies! Mel, hope all is well in your corner of the world and that you're back with us soon! Miss ya!! Shad, have you gotten the power and gas situation straightened out yet? What an outrageous bill! I recall having issues when the electric co. was only doing estimated readings for months on end.

---
I was up 1.4 pounds in yesterday's weigh-in. Bleh. But...today is an anniversary of sorts for me. One year ago today, I stepped on the scale and the number I saw shocked the heck out of me. It was my highest ever, and that was what started me (finally) in earnest on this weight loss journey. Yeh, I know that number was really a blip because two days later the scale was down 4 pounds, but it still made me take notice of where I was headed.

As of yesterday's weigh-in, I'm down 29 pounds in total. I've struggled most of the summer, but I won't let that deter me. I've come a good ways this year - I'm about 3/4 of the way there, and I'm not giving up now. :) All of you have been very supportive and I so appreciate that!! Keep it coming - I just know these last 10-12 pounds are going to be toughies.

As for the new leader - I like him. His history with WW is that he was a meeting leader, then a training manager, an operations manager, and now back to a leader (he's resumed an acting career). I'll pass along one of the thought provoking things he discussed yesterday: Ask yourself this: What do I want? And then ask yourself What will that get me? Keep on asking that 2nd question about each of your previous answers until you hit on the one that strikes an emotional chord within you. That one will be your true motivator. I thought one of my top motivations for losing weight was to reduce my BP and get off the BP meds, but I don't think that's the prime motivator. I'll have to give this more thought.

I enjoyed the movie Blue Jasmine last night mainly for the cast and performances (Cate Blanchett was the lead & she was excellent). I'm not sure the storyline had enough going on in it for me - I suppose I was not all that happy with the ending either. But it was certainly entertaining enough. I'm glad I went because one of the women who doesn't come to the movies with us much anymore was there last night and it was great to see her.

Because of the movie, we didn't have BLTs for dinner last night, but tonight for sure!!

That's about it for me. TTFN!
:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

diyana 08-28-2013 11:26 AM

Super quick post today....I took last night off from the gym. I felt very nauseous all day long yesterday, so I just went home, took a shower, got in my jammies and relaxed. Santa is so good about just chillin' with me when I need to relax. :) I feel MUCH better today...all well and rested and I'm going to water aerobics after work today.

I got to work later than usual (but still on time), because I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some items for lunches for the next three days. Now I've got to hunker down and get going on work. I'll try and check in later.

Just had to add....a big :congrat: to our Laura!! So proud of you for losing so much weight over the past year!! :bravo:

Love and hugs,

happy2bme 08-28-2013 01:02 PM

Howdy peeps,

Looks like I've started a chain of BLT's :hungry: :D :yay: How can you go wrong with bacon, fresh tomatoes and toast???? Yummo. I worked yesterday and last night we had flat iron steak. DH marinated it. This is a relatively new cut of steak - sort of like flank steak but more tender. I cooked this up in a pan and followed a recipe using fresh herbs for the marinade. While it smelled wonderful in the refrigerator it was lacking a bit in flavor so I had to add a bit of steak seasoning. I also pan fried it per directions and it was way too rare for us. When I left it to rest on the plate I used the pan drippings to make a sauce with the remaining red wine, spicy mustard and a bit of cream. HATED the sauce - I just don't like red wine no matter what and I did cook the alchohol out of it. Cleaned the pan and put the steak back on for a bit to cook. Remade the sauce using Greek Yogurt, mustard and a bit of milk and it came out better. All in all, I was disappointed with this recipe. We used this cut of steak last week in a teriyaki stir fry recipe and it was awesome. Will just have to remember it.

I worked with my partner this week - skipped last week when I substituted for another person on Monday. S was happy to see me, she was upset about an email that went out - I don't blame her. This is the last time we will work together for a while since I have decided to cut back on my volunteering in September and will instead focus on things I need to do around the house before the really cold weather sets in. She is covering for her friend who needs to attend to some personal business out of state so she is holding her slot open. We promised to stop in and visit with each other over the next 2 months. There is one person who comes into the shop that neither of us can tolerate well. First of all this woman is always complaining about other people - everyone is incompetent, a moron, an idiot, etc etc. I think anyone who calls others so many names is pretty much an A-ONE goof themselves. Secondly this person is always complaining about how she doesn't have any money - she lets important things go like appliances breaking down, car troubles, can't afford to turn on the air conditioning during the hot weather, etc. BUT then she turns around and talks about all the things she buys online or for her multitude of hobbies. She is always talking about something new she purchased. I guess because she gets things for 10 or 20 dollars she thinks she is not spending much but we certainly agreed that if she didn't fritter away so much money on petty things like cheap costume jewelry, a million shoes and any new craft item that catches her eye, perhaps she would have enough money to fix her car, stove and turn on the air to be comfortable. 100 purchases at 10 bucks is a thousand dollars :lol: people sure are something. And then there was the 90 year old man who came into the shop last week looking for rollerblades. :yikes: REALLY??? I sort of assumed he was looking for a grandchild when he came back yesterday S knew him and said he may suffer from a bit of dementia which explained a lot. He just came in to browse and chat.

It's still warm here - I need to go get some lunch and go work in the garden. There are lots of cherry tomatoes to pick and possibly a cucumber or two.

I will be back with personals in a bit.

Shad 08-28-2013 05:22 PM

Morning all,
Still fighting the power company, but have stated that it is their mistake and I can not and will not pay the bill. Waiting on the dispute going further up the ladder - slave I spoke to yesterday can not make a decision. Takes too much longer and I will go to the Ombudsman (arbitrator for disputes) with my tale of woe.

Other than that, I think I can safely say that winter is over and we are deep in spring. The forecasters are predicting a wild summer for us. Guess that means more rain and wind I guess. Cyclones and all.

Haircut and colour today. That will get me out of the house for a while. My new car arrives in Brisbane today. It should be ready for me next week. AT LAST.

Meantime I better head outside before it gets too hot and dig some more garden, water the veges and shift some gravel to remove the dreaded black plastic along the path. Back with personals later.

ceejay52 08-28-2013 05:56 PM

Thanks every one for the birthday wishes. I'm celebrating this week end with sister and family.
Personals later.

happy2bme 08-28-2013 07:33 PM

Between my internet being slow and 3FC being even slower, not sure I'll get this post out but I will try. Mother Nature is a cruel woman. My tomatoes have been sitting green on the vine due to the cool weather. We finally heated up and got 2 huge rainstorms (we did lose one tree) in the last week after having an almost drought ridden summer. The heat made the tomatoes turn and I went to pick them today and was upset to see that over 1/2 of them cracked and split. This is due to the sudden burst of growth (heat) and the intense amount of rain which made them grow faster than their skin could stretch. Bummer. At least I have some to eat.

Shad - I hope it's not a drawn out process to get your utility bill straightened out. How could they possibly have thought? Maybe gypsies parked their camper and set up a roadside stand outside your house while you were gone. Or Sunday ran around turning all the lights on at night. ;) Good to hear your car is FINALLY on it's way. Frustrating month for you, eh?

Mel - come back, we miss you :cry: :cry: :cry:

Feel better Michelle. Is your back doing better in the California dryer weather?

Laura - :congrats: on your weight loss! :cp: That is wonderful. :yay: Keep up the good work - I'm sure the last 10 will be harder than the first 10 but keep at it. Very proud of you. Please share as much as you can from your new WW leader. I'm not fond of the flowery rah rah stuff but I do like practical advice!

Annie - you can have the bacon - I love fresh garden tomatoes on toast with mayo. See - we can share all kinds of things at the commune and save money. I am ASTOUNDED that you say that C does not like spicy food compared to the way you would cook. Maybe Mel and I can let you cook after all :rofl: ;) As for the zoo it's not so much bad walking in the heat (especially if you stop at a stand for those awesome ice cream dippin' dots :D ) but the SMELL of the animals on a hot day I think is the worst. Have fun with the kids.

Hi Ceejay :wave:

DH just turned off the shower water so I'd better head down and get the hot dogs on for supper. Another simple dinner. Enjoy your BLT's girlfriends. :T

annie175 08-29-2013 09:12 AM

Happy Friday...well at least for me!! Nice and hot thru the holiday weekend then 70s on Tuesday. Probably should of taken Tuesday instead of today. Oh well.

Had a great visit with my son last night. His class got out early and he was back by 8 instead of 9:30. C was in bed at 7:30 so it was just me and my baby boy. I was so happy hearted I could barely stand it.

annie175 08-29-2013 09:22 AM

How the heck that posted is beyond me. I didn't even do anything, well back to posting...lol

Laura...what a great loss for one year nearly 30 lbs. That is such a wonderful feat. I am really proud of you my sista! Yes the visit with son was good. Altho Sassy ended up sleeping with him. We ordered Pizza Hut for dinner as that is what the boy wanted. Spoil the kiddos, I do.

MELLIE....come back, we certainly miss you my sister friend. Feel better!

CHELLE...so glad you are feeling better after the nauseas day.

SHADDIE...geez like the customer service person could not tell that a bill the high was in error. Duh. Good things come to those who wait..your car finally arrives! Yeah! Wish we were looking at spring instead of winter and the S word.

HAPPY....sad to hear of you tomato woes. Even if they split, they still taste good. Curtis eats toasted tomato sandwiches too! I am fond of them myself. I could eat them without the bacon.

CEEG...party down and do something fun and crazy for your birthday!!

Going to post before this hangs up on me again.

Hugs

annie175 08-29-2013 10:19 AM

Just realized why I am so happy today...it is my unanniversary with my ex...would have been 30 years today. I have thee very best man on earth now, AMEN

annie175 08-29-2013 10:20 AM

Title for next month...

Worldlies...no slothing in September..step it up!!

Laura705 08-29-2013 11:35 AM

Morning all. Happy Friday to those whose weekend begins tomorrow, and happy Thursday to the rest of us. :)

Annie - Great title - I like it. I know the date just pops into your head and you don't mean to commemorate something that wasn't good, but it's far better that you're grateful for the great guy you have now. :) You sound so happy having your son over last night. How nice to have that weekly!! So is there anyone Sassy doesn't like?? :D Keep cool and enjoy the zoo tomorrow. Probably at least some indoor exhibits w/ AC that you can pop into to cool off every once in a while.

Happy - So sorry your tomatoes split from the extreme weather changes! I've had a little bit of that this season with my cherry tomatoes - not much, thankfully. If I think the split is very recent/fresh, I might go ahead and eat it anyway. I'll be sure to try and share some of our WW meeting leader wisdom going forward so it can give everyone else some food for thought. We had our BLT's last night - yum. Again, I could have eaten more than one! We had a couple leftover slices of bacon, so bf did end up making himself another half sandwich. I don't eat bacon very often, so I really enjoyed it. Don't generally eat just tomato sandwiches, but I bet they would be tasty with a bit of seasoning. I'm thinking of just broiling tomato halves sprinkled with parmesan or asiago cheese. Probably good to give yourself a breather from the shop for a bit - all the drama probably gets old. So does the shop operate year-round? I bet the number of volunteers drops off with people not wanting to drive in bad weather...

Ceejay - Have a wonderful time with your sister this weekend!! Hope you have some great finds while shopping. ;)

Shad - Hope you get hold of a decision maker who can get the crazy wrong bill sorted out. Glad the car is finally getting delivered!!! How exciting!

Michelle - Glad you chilled out the other night. Did you get to water aerobics last night? I'm feeling so slothful after missing my Jazzercise classes. I'll see about tonight. Even if it's hot, I might just go and take it easy, but at least I'll get some movement in.

===
Trying to decide if I want to do a specific fitness class starting next week, or just buy the fitness class passport. For the ones that require individual registration, they've added a barre class - I assume it uses the ballet barres they have in the various studios at the park district facility. They've also broken out Pilates into beginner and intermediate. They offer a combo class - pilates one day and barre another. There's a belly dancing class that's new...doubt I'd do that though. :belly: I might just buy the fitness passport for 1 class per week and and then register for the pilates/barre combo class which I believe is Mon/Wed nights. Or just skip the passport altogether and get back to doing my Margaret Richard/Body Electric dvd workouts in the basement.

When I think about it, I really would like to start my Saturday mornings at home, spending the time scheduling bills for payment, filing paperwork, doing housework, MEAL PLANNING, etc. If I could fit in three workouts during the workweek or get my mind around doing a workout on Sunday mornings, I'd really be able to accomplish more on Saturdays. I hate going back to work on Mondays feeling like I didn't accomplish all that much aound the house. It's very distracting to have that on my mind.

Since I've proven - yet again - that I don't have the self discipline to go to the gym and work out on my own with the cardio and strength machines, I'll stop by my $10/mo gym to cancel my membership before they bill the $29 annual fee in October.

Well, I thought I'd have a nice long weekend without much going on, but it seems to have filled up. Friday evening we'll go by a friend's for a little bday celebration for her and her brother - they have b-days one day apart.

Saturday is a housewarming party for bf's nephew, who just bought a townhouse. Sunday we're going to a "taste of" fest in a largely Italian suburb where we always go to the booth that sells arancini - rice balls. Yum.

Okay, I've rambled way too much this morning, probably because I'm procrastinating on getting back to "the neverending project" - a schedule that started out as a "how quickly and easily can this be done?" to a multitude of add-ons and details and digging back to things that happened five years ago. Bleh.

Tonight might be jazzercise class only because I'm getting tired of being inactive. :shrug:

diyana 08-29-2013 11:51 AM

Hi ladies -

super busy today...trying to get caught up on the backlog of website issues that my predecessor either didn't want to or didn't know how or didn't care to fix.

I'm hoping to leave work at 4, so I can get to the library before they close and pick up some items that have come in. Otherwise, I can pick them up on Saturday, but Saturday will be a little busy as I'm having friends come over to play poker.

I did an hour of water aerobics last night, and it felt great! I have so missed the endorphins that I get as a result of a good workout. I just need to remember to eat some kind of healthy snack before working out so I don't have a blood sugar crash (which has sometimes happened post-workouts).

=================
Happy - Lovely photos of the hummingbirds that you posted on FB. Thanks for asking about my back. It really depends on the activity...water aerobics, stationary cycling, no problem. Vacuuming, hanging laundry on the line, walking down the street...BIG problem. I'm hoping as I exercise more, strengthen my core and lose weight, I'll be able to do more of the stuff I can't do now. I really would LOVE to go on hikes.

Laura - Sounds like a wonderful weekend ahead for you! And yes, if you don't get to the gym to use the cardio and strength machines, you should probably cancel your membership. I'm finding that as long as I have my gym bag packed and in the car, it's convenient for me to get there after work before I pick up Santa.

Annie - I really like the title for September's thread too! This time of year is an anniversary of sorts for me too. A year ago (not even sure of the exact date) I learned that my now ex was in love with someone else. And as difficult as that time was and as heartbreakingly sad as it was, I'm still sometimes sad that we didn't/couldn't work it out...but I'm also a lot happier now. There are a lot of things that my ex and I had in common, that I sometimes wonder if I'll have those in common with D or someone else. Only time will tell. I won't stress about that or pine away for the past. I'll just enjoy my now and my future...and have the best dang birthday weekend ever (next weekend).

Shad - Glad you're going to finally see your car! Please do take photos!

Mel - I hope you're doing well.

Ceejay - When are you leaving for your birthday weekend?

Much love and many hugs,

ceejay52 08-29-2013 08:44 PM

Whew I have a lot to do and little time to do it, packing that is. I did manage to mow the lawn today so that has been accomplished and I'm counting that as my exercise today. It was hot out there too. Kept taking frequent breaks. But every once in a while there was a light breeze.

--------------
Happy
Sorry about the tomatoes. That's one of the reasons I'd rather purchase my food. Let some one else do the hassle of growing it.

Annie
I like the title for September. Glad you enjoyed the visit with your son.

Laura
Congrats on that 29 pounds lost. You have given me a new reason to try again. And it really is an eye opener to see how many calories one consumes if it is not planned ahead of time. Thanks for mentioning the option of the DVD workout's. I may have to take Bob Harper with me this week end.

Michelle
I'm leaving in the morning for my birthday week end. Sis is taking me shopping on Saturday. My niece is coming is coming to Branson on Friday night to spend some time with me and go shopping with her mom and me Saturday. I'm getting excited.

happy2bme 08-30-2013 12:16 AM

Hi ladies,

General comments - the tomatoes that split were the cherry tomatoes and they split clear to the insides and got dirt and bugs in the split from both the exposure and the heavy rain that made a mess. So I could not use them at all. I only got 2 roma tomatoes and 2 early girls that turned red enough to pick but that was it from the 10 plants of regular tomatoes I have out there. Lots of green ones but I'm prepping myself for disappointment - particularly since we are headed back to much cooler and seasonal temps next week. As for the thrift shop, yes it is open year round. They are only open Sundays mid May to end of October and the hours will shorten to 4pm for the rest of the days during the non summer season. I can't for the life of me see a lot of business going on once Jan - March hit and I don't look forward to 4 hours there in the winter time. When you're by yourself and there's no one there, the time just dragggggggggs by. We have several long time volunteers who come just for the summer so there will be more open slots to work in the next few months. Got a call from my partner, more drama at the store again so I am resolved to give them one day a week and no more as we roll into yet another new month and start the march towards that cool part of the year. :snooty:

Yesterday DH went out to check out some ATV trails and I sat on the deck for almost an hour trying to get some hummingbird pictures. Those buggers sure a quick ones - it was tough getting shots but I got a few - they are on Facebook - thanks Michelle for your kind comments! We have honeycomb shades on most of the windows in the house and DH decided to order one online to replace the double window in the bedroom. I convinced him to order a shade for the second window in the room so that they'd match. He thought he'd found a matching color - really a straight guy finding a color match??? :rofl: :lol3: :rolleyes: The shades came yesterday - they were pleated, not honeycomb and sheer as in very lightweight light filtering - they cut the glare of the sunlight (which we don't have at all on the shady north facing windows) and you can see right into both inside and outside of the house :yikes: Since they are custom shades - no returns (as stated up front when you order) but they will give a 25 percent discount on future purchases. I told DH not to feel badly - I learned a whole lot from the mistake and had no idea there was so much to know and think about when it came to a window shade :stars: Thing is the sale they have ends on Saturday - do I trust they will have a likeable variation next week? :?: I have ordered some fabric swatches which are on their way but won't get here by the 31st. So I might just order up come Saturday and get a neutral white. Always something to do.

We went to check out a video rental store in town. Picked up the Great Gatsby, Big Wedding, and Silver Linings Playbook. I have to get all of these viewed and returned by Saturday at 6:30pm. What was I thinking? We are going out to dinner tomorrow night at a lovely restaurant so there will be little time to watch movies.

Ceejay - I hope you have safe travels and a wonderful birthday weekend to celebrate and have good laughs and good times. Enjoy :hat:

Michelle - I agree with you that last year at this time life for you was about as bleak as it could get. Just goes to show that we must have faith that sometimes it really IS blackest before the dawn. So glad that you have really blossomed again. Yes, it's hard to walk away from a long term relationship but sometimes things just come to a natural end and it's time to move on. You sound so much happier than you have sounded in years.

Laura - your talk of asiago cheese on tomatoes reminds me of yummy broiled tomatoes. I love them in restaurants but have never been able to get them quite right at home. Sounds simple yet just not as good as when you get them out - just like a mixed drink ;) Wow a barre class! Holy geez louise - I hope you are super flexible! And long enough legs to get on the barre. :lol: But I would do it once just to try it out. Sounds really interesting and if the pass lets you try different things... Sorry you had to cancel the gym membership but why throw money away if you aren't using it? And having taking MANY a Saturday college course only to later regret it, I totally agree with your thinking of allowing yourself Saturday to organize, plan and execute. You WILL feel better for it. At least try it for the duration of the next exercise session.

Annie - happy un-anniversary or freedom day ;) ;) ;) Just goes to show you, you are now with the person you were meant to be with. Consider the ex just one of those warty horny toads you had to kiss before you found your prince :lol3: That's like those folks that knew each other as kids, grew up, parted ways and then found each other 30 years later and had the most wonderful of relationships. Good to see people happy. :hug: Speaking of which - how great is it that you get to spend an evening with your Tater? Super duper cool that he can have a night for you to dote on him and have some great mom and son time. I think you'll be putting C's gift of cookware to good use at your house :hungry:

Shad - so did you get a wild messy cut so that it matches the cyclones? New color to celebrate the new car arriving? Can't wait to hear more about it. I am impressed with the new safety features they are adding on Toyotas - coming to the point closer and closer where the cars will drive themselves.

:hug: for you Mel - ok, maybe 2 :hug: :hug:

I might watch part of the movie now so let me sign off and a pleasant night to all and a good day ahead to Miss Shad.

happy2bme 08-30-2013 10:31 AM

Hi there,

Last one out, first one in. That's a change :lol:

I decided to stay up and watch Silver Linings Playbook. It would not play my movie at first, said something about drivers needing updates so I did that which ate up almost 40 minutes. By the time I started watching the movie it was 12:30am. What an odd flick. 2/3 of the way through it I kept thinking this was a strange movie and I really should go to bed but it was both odd and intriguing at the same time. In the end I did like the movie but it certainly was different. I can see why Jennifer Lawrence won an academy award for it. I think we'll watch Big Wedding tonight after we get back from dinner and then I'll try and watch the Great Gatsby Saturday morning. I probably should do other things and mostly I probably should have only gotten 1 or 2 movie rentals but I can't tell you the last time I watched a movie. In fact I have 4 of them I recorded on cable and our DVR is at 50 percent full (not only my shows I might add) so I should get to those too. Also got a book from the library called HEAT which is about the adventures of a sous chef working up the ranks under the tutelage of a big name, highly volatile chef. I should take it to work with me today as I am not going to be of much use since I am tired (went to bed after 3am and up at 8) and we are going to a really nice place for dinner tonight and I won't have time to change clothes so I will go dressed up nicely and keep myself as un-dusty as possible :lol: Tomorrow we might go and check out a pig roast at a neighborhood bar. They are supposed to have a live band and it might be fun to get a pork sandwich and listen to some music. Supposed to be a nice day and we got some rain last night so that means it won't be dry and dusty although I think the mosquitoes were just waiting for a good rain to wake up from hibernation.

Not much else going on, I should finish my coffee and get a thing or two done before I have to get ready for the shop. Have a great weekend everyone. A few chores and a whole lot of fun stuff. For us in the States it is Labor Day weekend - a holiday on Monday to pay homage us working stiffs. Mostly it means for a lot of the country that it is the official end to summer just as Memorial Day in May is the kick off to the summer season. There's a bit of melancholy :^: if you realize that you have frittered away the warmer weather by working so hard - nose to the grindstone - so this is almost the last hurrah to have a little fun before the leaves start to turn and the winds grow cool. So get outside and have some fun!