Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 09:23 PM   #31  

Hi Steph, Juno!

Steph, I hope your trip is all that you hoped it to be...

Juno - House hunting... It's fun and frustrating and exciting, and... well, I've decided we're never moving again...

GOOD LUCK, don't settle --- and yes, throw it all out... All the stuff I thought we'd need or miss is still sitting in the basement boxed up after nearly 3 years! Yard sales are great!!!

Glad you made it to the gym and that you continue to strive for that "routine". It will make it back, just keep it a priority.

I have been trying to do that with the kids - just jump right back into the old schedule... It has been tough. Everyone has colds including me, but I just can't be sick right now, so its non-drowsy cold meds and a swift kick in the butt. My workouts these past few days have been less than stellar, but I feel like just getting to the gym gives me points for something???

Tomorrow my sisters and I are biking and running. The weather has been so bad that we are not even thinking about an open water swim yet. I don't think we've had a night in the mid 60s yet and if we've hit 80 during the day, I dont' remember.... I sure hope summer arrives in time for the race!! BRRRRR

SO - tomorrow its 13 miles of biking followed by 3.5 miles of running - just to see if we can do it. I am less than enthusiastic given my stuffed up head, but I'll put the game face on and not be a whimp. I can't tell you how intimidating my siblings are... Weird to admit - I guess I've always just done my own thing so that I'd never be compared and now we're doing the same thing...

Something to think about.

I need to get my diet back on track. I am not really over eating, but I am also not as diligent with fitday as I was before my trip. I hate to be derailed. I will pay more attention... I really want to be 10 more lbs down before the big event...

I guess that's enough to deal with for a weekend! I'll let you know how it goes!

Ciao!
Absmom
Old 06-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #32  

Hey there! Way to get back on that schedule abs - that's awesome that you are right back in the routine. I have made it officially to the club exactly once this week, but adrenaline seems to be doing the job as I am down a couple of lbs! Yowsa. Yesterday I signed up with my older D to do the Walk for Life for breast cancer - that will mean a lot of walking to "get ready" - so good to have that on the burner.

We looked at 2 houses. They were HUGE - and that is our issue, ours is just too tiny. There were bathroom and shoddy carpentry issues with one, and kitchen issues with the other. But I went in and got prequalified today so we are ready to pounce if something comes on the market that we like. My girls are SO excited! They share a room and really hope to have their own rooms in the new house. Stay tuned folks! And, hey, packing and moving boxes and furniture is GREAT exercise!

DH leaves Sunday morning, gone through Friday to hike the Chilkoot Trail - I'll be single mom. I hope to get a lot accomplished. Both girls are out on sleepovers so tonighte is date night.

Well-tata to you both - Steph I hope the trip is fantastic. I'll be in touch and setting goals--

Juno
Old 06-21-2003, 03:13 AM   #33  

Question

5% of what?
Old 06-22-2003, 07:21 PM   #34  

Hi all I am back and boy do I need to get back into routine!! I feel so vacationy and am just looking around my house like "hey I'll do that another year". I think tomorrow when my normal day starts that will kick me into gear. I had exercise on my TO DO list for the day but it is just not happening.

I didn't do any formal exercise on vacation. I swam a bit in the pool, walked all over the Rocky Mountains, hiked a few times, but mainly just had a good relaxing time. I don't usually buy things on vacation but this year I was splurging a bit and bought some things I loved and went back a few times to look at them but they came home with me. Good to be with my family but I am sure my sister and her boyfriend needed quiet time after they spent all that time with us.

Okay so send good vibes my way to get up tomorrow and start my fitness butt in gear. I am feeling lazy. It is summer and in my business I need to stay de-stressed and need extra energy. It sounds like both of you are doing great! We need some positive thoughts sent our way as my grandma has been in the hospital for 3 weeks (93 and her first bad health incident!!) and Steve's mom ended up in the hospital while we were on vacation and all she ever had wrong was her appendix taken out. She is having serious heart surgery but we are very thankful that all her problems were caught first because she wouldn't be here at all if it went undetected much longer. Luckily she went to the Dr. when she couldn't shake her feeling that she felt like crap. She was even helicoptered from Dallas to Houston (her first helicopter ride!!). It is serious but the outcome looks good so everyone just keep her in your thoughts.

My goals for the week:
1) I am very into white carbs so I need to cut them back as much as I can this week without going mental and eating double.
2) Exercise hard and push for more results.
3) Journal and instead of just writing it and forgetting about it, go back and analyze where some bad choices are.

I do have to get some stuff done. I didn't gain a pound over vacation and I ate out the whole time. But I do feel mushy!!

Absmom - Hope you did good on your trial even yesterday! After spending the week with mom and sis - I know what you mean about the family dynamics and competitive crap. I love my sister but I think a few more days and our monsters would have been unleashed.

Juno - Get rid of the junk! You know that if you haven't needed it up til now then throw it away. I'll come help. I went through our stuff and have been the Queen of GiveAway. The Salv. Army probably hates me. Goodwill is 5 minutes from my house and my own private dumping ground over the past two years. I am working on DH to move towards WA (I don't know if I can deal with Alaska and I am not sure he can). We kept meeting WA people everywhere who were great at pushing it on him.

Work Stephanie - quit yacking!!

Steph
Old 06-22-2003, 07:35 PM   #35  

Hi Yall!

Welcome PainterWoman! The name '5% Club' is a symbol of possibility. It is based on when "they" say (whoever "they" is) that only 5% of people who lose weight and get fit manage to KEEP it off. Many people see that as a daunting statistic. What we do here is say, lookit, 5% of the people who do this do it for life and change for ever, it is POSSIBLE and I am IN that 5%!!! It still is an inspiring symbol for me. I hope you will pull up a chair, pour some tea and tell us about yourself!

Welcome back steph! Yes, you do sound relaxed and that is good! Your week will be a good start I know. I hope all goes well for all the grandmas. Those are hard things to deal with. I'll bet your clients are saying "thank God she is back!" Washington state is great. My sister lives in Bellingham, and I could totally live there, very happily. Hey though, you at least have to come up and visit before you cross alaska off your list!

Abs, I trust you are out sweating at this very moment. I hope it's all starting to come together.

Steph, I did dump a LOT and there is a lot to go. I only did my last major clutter-bust right after christmas, but unbelievable how much more stuff there is that can be purged. I am so much better than I used to be! I was just visiting the home of a good friend, and she has much more clutter than I do - I need to remember that just because I'm not Perfect like my mother doesn't mean the place is a total dump.

I dropped DH at the ferry this morning and he won't be back until Thursday night. I wish I could go along. I'll be single mom for the week - hope to get a lot done. Right now I have a bucket of typing to do so I'll get going on that. There is so much to do, and I tend to fiddle around (read a magazine) before I just push up and start. That is my whole issue, slow starter switch. Always moving forward though!

Carry on friends

Juno
Old 06-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #36  

5% of the successful "losers" makes more sense. Thanks for filling me in.

I'm wanting to lose 46% of my current weight... and THAT's what I've been fixated on. 5% of my current weight probably would get me comfortable in my last "batch" of clothes... but I don't think anyone will even notice... and I'll need to loes three times that to eliminate one of my bp meds.

I'll use my journal to explore what contributed to two previous gain-backs.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:31 AM   #37  

You are definitely welcome here PW - and doing your goals as 5% at a time is most definitely a 5% thing to do. We do it right, because of course for us it is permanent! 46% of your weight seems like a lot today but it could very well be 45% next week, and 40% in a couple weeks, and and and...

Yes, gain-backs. They are normal. What I have found is the good habits go in cycles, and so does weight. The thing that will make you successful is perseverance in starting again and again.

Okay - I'm really going back to work now - I've found just about every excuse possible to stay off task but now I'm really going in. Tomorrow I hope to get some exercise via long-needed yard work!

Juno
Old 06-23-2003, 09:49 AM   #38  

Hello all! - Hi PW! Welcome!!

I am so fixated on food at the moment so I'll rant about that first. I don't know what it is, but I am SO off track.... Yesterday - donuts X2 ??? mindless chip eating (thanks DH for bringing home the big bag) and 2 - yes 2 boca burgers for dinner... How on earth do I think I am going to get anywhere?! So I logged it in fitday.... big deal! I really need to figure out WHY I do this to myself... After the practice TRI I did the same thing... It was almost like I needed a "prize" because I did so well.... Why couldn't the prize be a manicure or a shirt or why couldnt' I just relish the fact that I did well.... Why did it have to be a big bagel with enough cream cheese to choke a horse!? I'm with you Steph, I need to start looking at what I've done, really get to the cause of these habbits so I know what it is I should be changing... Just writing things down isn't enough any more....

This will have to be an on-going long term goal...

AND now for the more positive aspects of my life... The event this past Saturday was a BIG success. 13 miles on the bike, immediately followed by a 3.5 mile run. We all stayed together for the most part (although sis 1 ran backwards for a patch to let me know how slow I was running). I made it the whole way, even felt like I had held back a bit (trying to conserve energy I could have used to go faster). It was really empowering... Other than my butt feeling a little sore from the bike seat, I felt great! Strong! I swam yesterday and really pushed and today I have to take time off so DD1 can get to the dentist. I feel like I should do something, but really, I have to keep telling myself that I am entitled to 1-2 days off a week.

We're going to do this again next Saturday and hopefully the weather will cooperate so we can do the swim as well.

And DD 2 is up from nap. So....

1. Be ever so mindful of what I put in my mouth
2. WATER
3. Abs - Push ups ---things I can do while playing on the floor

JUNO - I hope the "single mom" life is agreeing with you... I always enjoy a little time for me when my DH is away... Good luck with your continuing push to move out the unwanted...

STEPH - Good vibes your way... Hope your Grandparents are doing better.... PUSH your workouts and journal like you mean to...

PW... One day at a time!!!

Ciao!
Absmom
Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 AM   #39  

One Day at A Time. with Patience.... or crankiness... just do it, right?
I'm conforming to most of my eating plan... it is really hard to eat as slowly as I am supposed to, and I still forget to put fork/food down for 5 minutes in the middle. I have cut out between meal eating though.

And I used bike for 30 minutes.... longest yet. My plan tomorrow is to walk in the morning (before it gets really hot... maybe I'll see rabbits again), go to work briefly, then the Renoir exhibit, then bike in the afternoon. Oh, and laundry!

Had salad and a sandwich for dinner.... sandwich for lunch. cottage cheese and v* at breakfast. I still can't tell when I'm at a level 3 hunger.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #40  

Abs, here's my .02 - you need to remember that when you are working that hard in your training, you HAVE to take in more calories than when you are having a couch tater day! Otherwise you will find yourself in the kitchen by the light of the fridge, maniacally tearing open packaging and powering down! You know on the WP site they have this thing about "activity points." In a way it is sort of like, wah! I've done this extra work and I want to save all this money in the bank, so I need to eat the same as I always do and exercise more. But - you do need to eat a little more - figure out how much to add on training days (might take some expirimentation) then beat your hunger to the punch with F&V and most important PROTEIN that will keep you full and keep the wild cravings at bay.

What if you had a part time job and you wanted to put ALL the money you made in the bank to save? Great idea. But in truth you would have to spend something for the job: The gas to get there, maybe a different set of clothing, some $ for your coffee or snack, maybe other little expenses. The trick is to make exercise your "part time calorie job" and only put in enough for the fuel to get there and the little stuff, so you can put all the money in the bank (ie use all the exercise for your goal, but eating enough to get you there...) Okay a cute little Juno analogy but I like it!

PW are you an artist? A painter woman visiting a Renoir exhibit, just let me guess! Sounds fabulous, I love him. 30 minutes is a push on a bike, you are to be congratulated! Explain the levels of hunger - is this a plan you are working with? I do not put my fork down much when I eat, either. The walk sounds terrific.

Well, here I am at work. I still do not have the 'summer schedule' figured out, but my cold is over and I really NEED to get with it. This once a week thing is not cutting it. I'm going to try very hard to go to body pump today, so I will be sore sore sore - I'll re-enter with lighter weights and take it from there.

Happy day, make the most of it!

Juno
Old 06-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #41  

Juno - Glad your cold is gone. I hate summer colds! I think your advice was right on the money regarding food intake. Another anology is that if you body is a car and you are making a longer/rougher trip - you need more gas and maintance It's so hard to not look at food as something that is "bad" but in essense all of it is fuel to carry out our tasks (some of course is much better than others!!).

Absmom - I truly don't even know how you do all that you do on as little calories as you consume. I know that the past month I have eaten over 2000 calories every day and have lost weight. If I ever eat under 2000, I am STARVING. I think the thing I learned especially this vacation is that I know how to not overeat anymore nor use food only as a reward to myself. My checkbook has noticed this since I have bought myself new clothes, jewerly, CD's, etc. over the past 1 1/2 years and no more guilt. I don't splurge anymore on "pie outings" or things like that. We used to have huge DQ nights here and now it is so rare that it really is a treat.

PW - I stink at math but I think I did the percentages right and from where I started a few years back - I have lost 25% of my weight and have kept it off. I think that one day at a time has been a slow going route but a more positive one!! You sound like you are going to have a great day - I'm jealous!

Okay this is the first vacation that I can say that most of my pictures turned out good and I didn't want to rip them up or delete them. I guess that is finally my mind getting in the right frame and realizing that I am pretty okay with how I look. I am still aiming for some more firming here and there but I can tell in these pictures that I'm doing okay. One shirt I thought I loved though will now be a daycare shirt as it made me look maternityish. Live and learn!

Yesterday it was so hard to run. I felt like a clam with legs if that can explain my ungraceful ploddiness!! However I trudged through and then picked up the weights and did some ST too. I am hoping tonight feels more energized and the lead has fallen off my feet. I honestly wanted to quit but talked myself out of it.

Off to clean up stuff in my office while the kids nap. Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Steph
Old 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM   #42  

Oh Steph/Juno/Painterwoman, I've been consuming some calories... Actually today I've managed to keep them to 1800 or so... Its still early, so who knows what could happen before bed. Actually, I've thought alot about what you've all said about eating to train... And I have - I dont' think I've looking at it quite that way, but I don't think I am eating what one would say is a "dieters plan". Bottom line is I AM FAT and I'm working out like a skinny person, but not losing any weight or much anyway... Like i've said before, there is no alternative, so I keep on keeping on...

I am going to focus a little more on upping the Protien (thanks for the tip) and see if it helps with the endless cycle of eating for eatings sake...

At least I am feeling more myself with the workouts. My run is progressing - I've upped the speed to 5 and ran a full thirty minutes without stopping and did 10 nautilus machines. The weather is HOT this week (finally) so swimming outside could be a reality by Saturday.

Are you an artist PW? Sounds like you are getting it all together. I am only 14lbs down, but exercising/training for a Triathlon in July. As you have read, I'd be happier if things happened a little faster... Patience is something I'm working on.

Steph, You are inspiring... Your approach to staying 5% is spot on... I hope when I get there that I will remember... Everyone has an OFF day running, I am sure the cinder blocks will be gone by the next time you run....

JUNO - How sore are you???? LOVE that BodyPump - hope you were able to make it and that you took advantage of being there to push yourself... Its all cyclical isn't it? You'll be back on track in no time and your body will thank you!!!!

Well, BED time for kids and I am not far behind!

Cheers!
Absmom
Old 06-25-2003, 02:02 AM   #43  

Default Hunger levels

I'm following a little known program called Naturally Slim (yeah, they have a website). The biggest revelation to me was...... (drum roll) to only eat when you are hungry. Level 4 is when you would eat the kitchen table or your pet. Level 3 is when your stomach is definitely growly, and you feel a little "peaked". Level 2 is when you have an appetite for something but are not physically tired. Level 1 is when food is around and if attractive enough you put it in your mouth. Level 0 is when you are full, but still eating.

If I remember to eat slooooooowly, I can stretch a snack/meal to more than 20 minutes. I also take a 5 minute break during each meal and drink water or listen to the scintillating conversation so that my stomach has time to tell my brain that I'm not hungry any more.

My body doesn't have to be afraid that I will starve it any more... nor does it have the opportunity to put a box=of=crackers worth of calories in storage (my hips, usually).

Yes, I love to paint. watercolors. When that is too complicated, I sketch. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go to art school.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:13 AM   #44  

Bummer... Just lost a nice long post - so reader's digest version... DD2 up all night, DH tried to help - but she only wanted MOM - delightful. I'm guessing 3 hours sleep...

BUT we're off to the gym as soon as naptime is over - hopefully that will be a while. Today is BIke Day so not a real tough workout... Just what I need --- I am most looking forward to my 10 min uninterrupted shower at the end (my little motivator). Tried to sign up for Body Pump tomorrow, and I am number 2 on the waitlist - That means stand outside the studio and hope someone doesn't show... Juno -Is this a problem at your club too ? This class is just SO popular, but it really is a great motivator. I don't think I've ever been sorer after a class.

Today is a lower cal day (I am back on my self designed Wendy Plan) 1500 is the magic number - trying to get in at least 40% protien. I won't weigh in until this Sunday - so hopefully the effects of vacation, coupled with my rampant eating these last few days will be erased and I'll be back on track. We're doing another practice Tri on Saturday (hopefully adding the swim) so I should burn some serious calories!

PW - Good for you! Watercolors are quite the medium... Your plan also sounds interesting, and I hope its working well for you. It definately lends itself to getting in touch with your body and what it needs... Something I will need to do if I am to remain in the 5% once I get there...

Steph - Hope you're back in the swing of things after your vacation. It takes me at least a week before I feel normal again. Your posts sound very upbeat - like you're really enjoying where you are right now - health and family wise.... I know we are always striving to improve something, but you show us that you have to stop and enjoy what you have...

Juno - Hope you are doing well with DH away. Are you able to make it to the club? How are you eating differently with DH away? I usually do much better for some reason...

Goals for today---
Bike 45 min, hills
Drink lots of water
Eat 40% of cals in Protien!!

Happy Wednesday all!!
Absmom
Old 06-25-2003, 11:23 AM   #45  

Goals for today -
1) Sprint runs / fast walk alternate
2) Quit eating!!! I think that is the only negative side-affect from vacation - munching!!! Possible plan is to feed all the junk to the kids - they can use the calories!!
3) My goal this week is exercise hard M-TH and then a long yoga session on Friday. Weekend - off!!

Absmom - I have always been positive and it has gotten me through a lot without therapy (whereas all my friends have huge therapists bills). Trust me there are days when I grumble and groan about everything but I would say the last 2 years I am in a better place. Kids are older, my business is established, good health, and just realizing that what is the point in getting worked up if I am not going to do something about it!

PW - The hardest lesson - eating when we are truly hungry! My biggest habit that I still have to break is reading while eating. I didn't do it for a long time but have started up again. But my one trick is to set the food out in front of me and put all bags/boxes, whatever away so I can't keep grabbing. This week I am not wining the munchie war!

Juno - Thinking of you and wishing my DH would take the occassional business trip He used to go but I am the only one that takes off these days (with kids in tow). I am still dreaming of my house in total quiet. Now that his mom is having all these health issues I am thinking of buying plane tickets and sending him off with the boys.

Back to work - I've got a lot to do.

Steph
Closed Thread