Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #301  

Morning all.

Annie - Yep, do your own thing and don't worry about those who are judging you.

Ceejay - Oh no, hope the pulled muscle heals quickly! What is it with these cough- and sneeze-induced injuries!!! I thought my back was all better by late last week, but I've had some soreness the past couple days. Took an aleve this morning. Guess I need to do some stretching...

Mel - Feel better soon!

Happy - Glad dh liked the doctor - you definitely have to have a comfort level with their competence and communications. How did your hair turn out? Did you do anything different with it this time? Those Fine Cooking books you mentioned sound interesting and helpful. I haven't looked at the site to check out their recipes yet. I do like the basic/comfort types of food that America's Test Kitchen does, and I guess my current cooking needs now are generally that when I try a recipe, I want it to work well the first time around. Maybe when I have more time (or make more time), I will try to be more creative or try more exotic recipes. LOL re the nativity scene you saw at the thrift shop. Wonder what the story behind that was... Very smart idea to not commit to volunteering in the shop until you've given it a test run first. But that's another "on your feet" type situation...

Michelle - Bf and I did once subscribe to Angie's List. It was bf who wanted to do it, but it came after we'd done a bunch of projects around the house and so there didn't seem to be much need for it after we'd burned out on the projects and were taking a "sabbatical" (that continues to this day, snort). It was also bf who decided to cancel it - he just thought that people who take the trouble to write reviews often have an ax to grind. IMO, it goes both ways - people want to review when they've had a really good or really bad experience. Regardless, I didn't see the need for it so I agreed with just cancelling it. Bf really liked the recommended hvac person we used yesterday - thought he was very competent, knowlegeable and reasonably priced - and would probably use him again. It's a real relief to find someone good that you know you'll feel comfortable using in the future.

Shad -
==
Ladies, thanks for your compliments on the office. I know some people wouldn't care for that kind of furniture in their home, but I think if bf and I tried to get "real" furniture, we'd be miles apart on the style. I'd want something light and bright and homey but somewhat sleek. Bf would have wanted some sort of stuffy executive-like dark mahogany style. And we probably would never have been able to afford all the storage we got buying this stuff used off Craigslist (from an office furniture distributor that had bought something like 25 of these setups and were selling them cheaply.) Wish me luck in finishing the paper part of this redo!

The movie "The Impossible" was very good, but sad and not always easy to watch. But what do you expect when the movie is about a family's survival after a Tsunami hits while vacationing on a beach in Thailand? (This was based on a true story, BTW.) I thought Naomi Watts (the mom) and the actor who played her 10/11-ish yo son were both very good.

Nothing else to report. Not looking forward to the deep freeze coming tonight and for the next couple days. Oh well, winter doldrums. And it's still a ways until I fully expect nicer (non-winter) weather. But with these wacky weather patterns the past couple years (I remember we had 80 degrees last March!), one can't help wondering what will happen...

Okay, I will post NOW before I get more interruptions. TTFN!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #302  

Happy - No, you snuck in on me because I took so long to write my post. Your hair color sounds pretty, but then again I'm partial to the deeper shades, LOL. So sweet to go socialize with the kitties and bring some needed items. Be safe on that black ice, and enjoy! Jeez, you have to return your t-shirts to the shop??!! Do they re-use them, or do they not want you representing yourself in connection with the store?? Wouldn't that be a positive thing - free advertising? Huh.

Michelle - I meant to comment re being ruthless. My mother always says she needs to be ruthless about decluttering her house. Too funny because I'm betting she still has clothing in the closet that she wore to work back in Chicago - now 20-some years ago. And that's after several previous reports of closet-purging.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #303  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
I haven't thought about purple highlight's, bet it's cute. I want to get my hair highlighted but the blonde does not take in my hair. It turns it orange.
I'm wanting a light brown to contrast and cover up this gray.

Laura
Your mother sounds like what my mom did while cleaning out her closets. I hate to say it but my mom was almost a hoarder. She wanted to keep everything. I brought some Tylenol to take but so far haven't needed it.

Shad
Saw the pictues of your great nieces on FB. They are adorable.

Hi Michelle

Don't remember who mentioned it but we had no problems at the plant until this morning. My co-worker said that the power went down to what some call a brown out stage then came back up. He got up and turned the well's off as the plant was in operation at 5.15 a.m. this morning. I kept wondering why the plant hadn't came back on at 8.00 a.m. this morning. I glanced up and saw at 8.30 a.m., while I was playing Scrabble on my computer that the wells were in the off position and jumped to my feet and turned them back on. The ground storage tank had gotten down to 21.68 feet. It took 2.5 hours to refill that tank. I called myself monitoring more closely than that. I caught that one of the elevated tanks was down. It had a blown fuse. He had even mentioned the fact that he had turned them off, but I assumed he'd turned them back on.

Last edited by ceejay52; 01-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #304  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

Another quick fly-by post for me.

Happy - So nice that your DH liked his doctor. Enjoy the kitty socializing. Wow! In all my fly-by posts, I must've missed the part where you decided to resign from your job. I'll have to go back and catch up. As for regional culture...I really do like the midwest. People tend to be friendlier. But it's not the same as being near family and long-time friends. San Diego is gorgeous...the ocean is warm enough to actually enjoy (as opposed to up in Northern CA). They have nearly perfect temps most of the year. I'm a little nervous about how I'll "fit in" with the political climate in San Diego. Many of the people there, including my family members, are VERY conservative. And I tend to be fairly liberal in my views. But I'll manage. Politically, I'm more a match to the San Francisco area. But now that I think about it, my cousin and his wife (not the ones who are splitting up) have differing political views...her views being more like mine. So if she can handle my aunt, uncle and other family, so can I.

Laura - So glad you found a HVAC person that you can rely on and was reasonably priced. It is great to have people you can trust. That's cool you found the office furniture on Craigslist and saved a bunch of money! I really like Craigslist, and have been using it lately to price housing and check the job market in various parts of CA.

The snow is really coming down. And where I live is supposed to get much more snow than where I work in downtown Milwaukee. I hope the traffic and roads aren't too bad for the drive home, and I hope that I can get in my ex's driveway to get Santa and then get in my driveway to get home.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #305  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - Your hair color sounds great! I wish I could do something like purple/berry highlights...but that would be very "showy" on blond hair. Maybe when I move to CA the offices I work in might be more laid back.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #306  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
I've got a few minutes to try and catch up. You lot have been busy without me.

I had a good weekend at home. Weather was terrible but hey it's quite nice to have some downtime and realise that no matter how much you want to iron, or vacuum the floor, if there is no power, then not a lot gets done these days. Too wet to garden, couldn't go anywhere because of the rain and flooding. Although it wasn't bad for us, nothing like what happened a couple of years back, it has been and will continue to be hard for a lot of people further up the coast. The power apparently came back on around 4.00pm on Tuesday. I can tell you, I was phoning a friend for a coffee on Monday morning.

Laura - the home office looks very smart, very efficient. Well done. Take care in the snow and ice around your way.

Michelle - if you look up stress factors on the net, you will see that relocation, separation and divorce are right up there at the top of the list. You will have good days and bad days until the grief becomes controllable. Just never think that you were the only cause of your unhappiness. It takes more than one person to break down a marriage. Happy is right, there are factors that cause dissension and other factors that just sit in the dark waiting for an opportunity to strike. Lack of communication is so common in marriage breakdown. It was more than anything else the cause of my separation as well. Compromise and tolerance have to be key factors in any relationship.

Happy - good on you for getting out of the job. Sure the money is nice but you have to factor in the pro's and con's and this one came down heavily on the con side. Your description of the snow globe falling at your place was nice, but happily enough I am well away from the cold that goes with that. There is talk of a cyclone coming this way. Might have to watch the news tonight and see where it is.

Annie - hope things are getting better for you over there. Being a creature of the light and warmth, things must seem very dark and cold to you over winter. Cuddle the kid.

Ceejay - muscle improved yet? Must have been a bit of a worry seeing those tanks taking the plunge towards empty. Not nice of him not to tell you they aren't turned back on. What would have happened if you had not noticed. All in all, we should never assume I guess. Makes an *** out of u and me everytime.

Right - sorry but need to go set up the training room for some much needed basic training. My minutes are over.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #307  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Mel - hope you feel better soon. Don't like it when you get all blocked up - one way or another.
We'd better schedule a phone call to put the world to rights again.

First training class went down okay. The guys seemed to get something out of it, so I might consider it a slap on the back. Goodonya style. Lots of questions to come out of it, no one went to sleep although it was close on a couple of occasions. But it is good to get back into the class room.

So since someone has bought me some hot cross buns (how far out from Easter are we???) I should go and look grateful and hungry. I just finished lunch - how can I still be hungry.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #308  
Creating a Healthier Me

Shad - thanks for the kind words of support. You're right about high stress factors including relocation, divorce and changing jobs. Yep. Been there, done those. LOL I'm glad you're back in the training room. You seem much happier already.

Gotta get some work done....I'll try and check back later.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #309  

I just lost my post because of this wonky site. Just wanted to say Shad, yay for apparently being back on the training side of the job, and Easter is March 31, so it seems early for Hot Cross Buns. And I'm relieved the flooding isn't as bad as a couple years ago.

Michelle - Hope your commute home last night and this AM wasn't too bad. We didn't get much snow around here, but the wind sure was howling. And what a difference a couple days made in the temps!!! Glad you're able to get an idea of the CA housing costs through Craigslist. I love CL!

Ceejay - Gosh, it would have been nice for your co-worker to fill you in on the effects of the power outage on the plant. Good thing you caught the low tank levels!!! How's the pulled muscle today?

Hellos to the rest of you.
+++
Nothing much to report. Watched a couple more Downton A. episodes last night. Scrounging the freezer for our meals since we haven't shopped lately and we're trying not to eat out, carry out or order in. Not a bad thing.

Nothing planned for tonight. I should get back to getting more of the files in the drawers. They are in the front bedroom, and it's a mess.

Okay, I'll try to post again.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #310  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning/Evening All.....

Weather is playing havoc with my sinuses. Running...dried up...running..blah Went to give blood this morning...didn't get enough iron in prior, count was 12.0 has to be 12.5 to give. AND my BP was 170 over 110, evidently my meds are not working. Called the doc, naturally they want to see me. I go on Wednesday the 6th. Meanwhile, I will have a stroke...lol

Yesterday was 62 today is 22. What a let down. Having a few flurry blurps here and there, nothing significant.

I got a second coat of paint on dad's rooms on Sunday. Still need to get new shower rod and switch out the beds. Maybe another two weeks. We only have Sundays to do anything as C works 6 days a week.

LAURA....love the new office, shoot I may hire you to come take care of this dang mess we have here at Humana. We are going to be packed in the new little suite like a bunch of sardines...As many of us will go from an office to a cubicle. There are only 4 offices, directers and doc, get those.

CEEG...sometimes power outages can cause fuses to blow. Strange thing. We have been have power surges about once a week at home. Just for a few seconds the power goes down and comes back up. Just enough we have to reset clocks. blah

CHELLE...really sounds like things are coming together for you. I am so glad they are. Hugs

SHADDIE.....glad you are back on the training side of things and maybe they are learning something...Sounds like me someone is trying to suck up to you with the buns.

MELLIE...hope you are feeling better today but since you have not posted yet, I am send some get well hugs sister.

HAPPY...1st day of Re-retirement? How was the kitties? Did you bring any home with you? Just curious.

ELLEN...hope you are doing well.

Gotta get at it...so much to do, so little time to do it in.

Loves and Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #311  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - You are not allowed to have a stroke without my permission! And you sure and heck DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION!! With all the stress you've been under btw work and family, it's no wonder your BP is high.

Laura - A lot of people at my work are watching Downton. I haven't decided if I want to DVR yet another series. I have so many that I hardly have time to watch. I made it home and back to work without any problems.

The ex is taking Santa overnight tonight, since the predicted -20 wind chill is too darn cold for me to walk him. I know...I'm a wuss. Anyway, since I don't have to entertain Santa this evening, I will pay bills instead and also start going through some boxes of books and allowing myself only 1/3 of what I originally boxed up. The rest go to the library.

Last edited by diyana; 01-31-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #312  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

ANOTHER QUICK POST.
FEELING BETTER BUT THE BLDG IS IN A MESS.
MURPHY'S LAW HAS HIT TEN FOLD.
I'LL BE BACK OVER THE WEEKEND OR MAYBE TOMORROW NIGHT.
I JUST NEED TIME TO SORT THIS MESS OUT.
OTHER THAN THAT.....
JEN, RICHIE & I ARE DOING WELL.
\AND I FEEL MUCH BETTER AFTER TONS FO SINUS MEDS.
STAY WELL AND BE HAPPY TILL I GET BACK
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #313  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Someone needs to start the Fabulous February Worldies....or something like that.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #314  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/supp...ml#post4616741

GO TO THE NEW FEBRUARY THREAD!!

Last edited by MELODY525; 02-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote