Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #16  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Okay...I am here. Life is busy. And I guess that is the way it is supposed to be at least for right now. My FIL gets out of the hospital on the 14th...and he's comin' to Delaware...kickin' and screamin' the whole way. In fact, he's already doing that and he hasn't left the hospital yet. His doctor did not increase the weight that he can put on his leg and according to the hospital Medicare and his insurance will not cover the tab after the 14th. And he cannot be on his own because he cannot put any weight on his leg whatsoever. AND on top of all that, two physical therapists and a social worker have phoned me letting me know what he should be doing once he gets to Delaware and...how he's been acting there. Evidently, my FIL has not been playing nice--he's been biligerent, cussin', and having moments of confusion. Like...they were telling us something we don't already know? The moments of confusion really are not that bad. Heck, I get confused! But the biligerent and cussin' part is inexcusable. When the physical therapist works with him, he doesn't want to follow direction although he claims he is. Then he cusses her out. The Lord is going to have to send me some patience. And guess who gets to drive down to VA to fetch him? Yep, you got that answer right! ME. Plus, he needs a ton of home health equipment he's already squawking about claiming that he doesn't need it. He claims he doesn't need a wheel chair (it can be rented and Medicare will cover the cost...and he knows this) that a walker will do (which they want him to have also). AND he doesn't need a seat for the bathtub that swivels or slides (or whatever) and he doesn't need a thing for the toilet that has arms. He does not want to come to Delaware; he wants his life back. And I don't blame him! I really don't but sometimes you've got to do physical therapy and have certain things to help you to get from Point A to Point B. Please Lord, don't let him break his leg again on my watch! Wayne says he refuses to argue with his Dad (and I feel the same way) about any of this; that if he doesn't want it or do the physical therapy....so be it. It will be his choice. Yep...gonna be a nice summer ahead of us!

Maggie, I love Applebee's. We ate there last week. I ate off the WW menu and it cost me 13 points. It was some kind of chicken thing. Good. Hope I recognize it on the menu again! See? I have moments of confusion!! It's a beautiful day here--high 70's. My ac has not come on once today. Oh...I have not been to WW this week.....and I need to get back. I'm thinking about transferring my membership to the senior center in town (5 minutes away from my house) on Tuesday mornings.

Jean, you should've phoned me...I was awake at the same time--3am. And I haven't taken a nap yet. This is happening more frequently to me--waking up in the middle of the night and I can't go back to sleep.

Donna Faye, God bless your nephew. What a tough thing to do. You be careful in this heat. I understand everything you've been saying about your ac unit. We went through the exact same thing with our's last summer. Our unit is hooked in with our heating system and we replaced both. And went up in size and we can tell the difference. And it is expensive. We had to cash out a Roth IRA to pay for it but I think it was worth it. We just could not stand to have another monthly bill.

Susan, I know you enjoyed your quilting bee. I love the time I get when I lunch with my girlfriends or go knit at the yarn store.

Wayne will be home in a few minutes...so I need to get started on dinner....or at least think about what I'm going to have for dinner....

Last edited by GailR; 06-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #17  

Good evening, ladies! Its been a blessed cool day today - only 75 degrees.

I went to the Y this morning and then when I was making a turn, I turned to wide and hit the curb and blew a tire. Oh, joy. I called AARP assistance and they had a nice young man to me in 10 minutes. He put the spare on and I went around the corner to the tire store and got it replaced. That shot 2 hours. It's always something.

Faye, the AC is a one ton unit. They would have only replaced that if I wanted but I knew the heat would be the next thing to go being 22 years old. They both were original to the house. It seems you were just racing up the highway to be there when Jackson was born! How's Jack's foot?

Jean, I have a friend who is the next thing to a hoarder - house, barn, back room at her husband's shop are all full to overflowing and she still buys more. Rather sad really that they let possessions mean so much to them.

Maggie, my library has the ebooks and audio books online too. I download to my computer or MP3 player. It's so nice to have them available 24/7.

Gail, maybe you could get your FIL to cooperate with the PT more if you stressed to him that was the only way he was going to get to go home and get back to dancing. Rudeness is another thing - totally uncalled for. I try to order WW friendly when I go out, too. I'm at the point where I don't do well with sugar or fat in my meals and processed foods make me bloated.

Have a great evening. Tomorrow is WI day at WW (first meeting of the month) and then grocery shopping.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #18  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Susan, I'm finding a lot of foods upset my stomach. As a rule I eat "clean food". Very seldom do I eat casserole type foods. I have to be careful that I don't eat a lot of fiber. The older I get the more sensitive my stomach is! About my FIL, that's what I plan on telling him...you want to go home then do the work with the least amount of lip! LOL But I'll say it nicely!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #19  

Maggie -- Don't worry too much about eating ribs at Applebee's. You know how to work the program and should be able to enjoy a favorite food from time to time. I decided to go back to lined tri/bifocals because of working on the computer. The no line just didn't give me enough visable area and that defeated the whole purpose of the trifocal part of the glasses.

Gail -- Don't be surprised if your FIL figures out a way to stay put in VA. He sounds like my grandpa many years ago . . . onery! I have those sleepless nights every once in awhile and I'm just thankful I don't have to get up and go to work. Usually I've had a good nap in front of the tv the evening before. How did Wayne's interview go? I looked at WM's yarn; all they have is acrylic.

Susan -- Congrats on going to the Y today. Did you ? I'm sorry you had to get a new tire but at least that was a fixable. Good luck at WW tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all! It is going to be over the top hot today, at least 100 and heat index says 109. We may take Fortune, put him in his seat belt and car carrier and head out towards Nashville just to get out of the heat today. It will be just a ride in the car, but he loves it and we enjoy it too.

I have to go to the store this morning and pick up a few things. I am finding out that the minute I get home from shopping I need to dump all my raspberries in a colander and rinse them, put them out on paper towels to dry then store them. I had two boxes mold before I could eat them and I bought them just a few days ago. That is over $5 down the drain. On a happier note, Jack and I have been back on WW for a full month without a hitch. Jack will be able to see his shoes soon I think! He has lost about 4-5 inches off his belly area and he says his new work pants are about two inches too big. We are going out to eat once a month and allowing ourselves whatever we want, but are trying to stay away from really high fat places like Mexican. Like I said, we did OG the other night and even treated ourselves to a dessert, but it was one time and though delicious, I found it upset my stomach so no more dessert except maybe a bite here and there. I don't know if my scale is going to move on Monday as my feet are so swollen from the heat. I can't even wear my new sandals now and I just bought the darn things. I have to either clunk around in a pair of black crocs or I have one pair of Land's End sandals I can wear if my feet aren't too horrible.

Gail: I too have to be careful of fiber. I guess because I have so much less colon with the surgeries, I don't know but it can cause havoc if I eat too much. I think your idea about your fil is the way to go. There may come a time where you have to just tell your dad, it is a scooter or a nursing home, take your pick. Sometimes you have to get tough with them though you don't want to. He is missing out so much but not taking medication for depression and getting a scooter to give himself mobility. We old codgers can get cranky, can't we???

Jean: I am soooooo sorry we forgot to call you and Bob and ask if you wanted to go to OG with us! I have been working on a restaurant list for Branson and found a nice pasta place and he refuses to go because in his words, "those mom and pop italian places you know can fix goofy food." Well, this is a chain restaurant and I told him so, but no going so if we want italian on vacation it is OG I guess as it is the only place he likes. I want to go to Fuddruckers for lunch someday and he said he ate there once and "wasn't impressed." GRRRR, the man can drive me to distraction. I think I will buy him a half gallon of milk and a box of cereal and let him eat that and I will go to the restaurants! Oh, we bought him a scooter/skateboard. He rode a radio flyer scooter at a little friend's birthday party a couple months ago I guess and loved it. This one is for the same age group, but the handle comes off so he can learn to ride it as a skateboard. His dad was a huge skateboarder in jr high school so thought he would have a good teacher. He already has helmet, knee and elbow pads I bought him last year for his birthday to ride his bike I bought him, which he still hasn't done. I imagine it won't be long now that spring is here as it should fit him much better now.

Susan: Ours is only 1/2 ton and our square footage isn't much off yours so that is probably why it doesn't keep up, it just plain isn't big enough. I turn it on at 4 am and it runs until around noon then when the compressor turns off the first time, we put the thermostat up so it won't turn on and don't turn it on again until early morning. It does not good to turn it on later as it won't stay on because the heat outside won't keep the unit cool and the heat in the house is such it would run constantly and can't do that. So, we just live with it. The house gets warm around 6 or 7 but not unbearable with the fans all going all the time. We just plain can't afford a new one having to tear out everything and replace it and it is stupid to put in the same size if that size can't do the job. Jack's foot is still really sore, but as long as he doesn't have to walk on it he is fine. It isn't throbbing or anything, just hurts to walk. He has to go in on Monday to have her look at it again so we shall see what she does. Oooh, since you gals have it, I am going to have to look at my library system to see if they do it. I doubt it with the city finances in such a mess.

Maggie: I love audio books to listen to while I knit. I can knit a long time if I am listening to a book. Music, though I love it, doesn't do the same thing as a book. I love my ebooks on my Iphone too. I have a whole bunch in my library I have already read. We had a party line when we were growing up and it drove us nuts. We had someone on it that was a real blabber mouth. Boy, how things have changed!!! We now can take our phones with us anywhere in the world.

Well gals, Fortune is barking which means he wants to be fed. Have a yummy Saturday all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #21  

Good Morning, Flowers! We got up to clouds and evidence that it had rained during the night. The sun has come out and the humidity is on the rise although it isn't supposed to be that hot. Bob is up at the cabin working on the shed doors. The neighbors tease him that all he does is work when he is there. How true that is! Jason has been all over MN and ND this week adjusting wind damages for another agent who had emergency surgery, and was on his way back to Sioux Falls when Bob talked to him last night, so he won't be at the lake today.

"Gma" -- I had to laugh at Jack seeing his shoes; that reminds me of being pregnant and not being able to see my feet. Oh, the memories! to both of you for working the program together! I am not a big wine drinker (nor any other alcohol) but OG has a Muscato wine that is so good. At $6 for a 3/4 full glass I rarely order it. They gave us a sample a long time ago and I actually remembered the name. I usually drink water when eating out because it bugs me to pay high prices for coffee, pop, etc., when they are the cheapest item to serve. Jason had a skateboard and was pretty good on it. I tried it once and about broke my neck! It's hard to believe Jackson is old enough for a scooter or a bike. They grow up too fast!

I need to get laundry switched to the dryer, work on some never ending ironing, and try on some clothes that I wore last summer. They'd better fit! Have an enjoyable weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-04-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 85 here in the Heartland and expected to get up into the 90’s again this day around 5:30 pm. The wind isn’t blowing this day so far anyway, just . I don’t have anything I “must” do this day and so am just woke up to the world nice and easy. It was time to do my nails so they are all nice and polished with clear once again. I don’t usually use any color but when I do them I like to use clear. The tips of my nails which are 3/8 of an inch long look like they are done in creamy white so I don’t even do that. I was blessed to inherit my great aunts nails. I like to keep the clear on them because of some of the chemicals I use with my glass works is drying to my nails. When my nails get any longer than they are now or I break one I trim them back. We just got back from running a few errands and came home with another wind chime. This one has a big mouth bass on it and nice pieces of drift wood. Now there are three hanging on the edge of the patio roof. On the way home we passed by a house having a yard sale and I saw a table of Christmas items. We turned around and low and behold I got some real nice spendy items for 50 cents apiece. I have seen some of the things in catalogues and one is a 18 inch stuffed soft moose with a Christmas bell on a red ribbon around its neck which sold for $70 which is still in new condition they had on a table with children toys. A couple of 8 inch tall stuffed scare crow mom and pop are neat and of great quality that have wire hangers on them. One of the more spendy items that cost a whole dollar was a large gold wire sleigh with greenery and pinecones in it that will look great as a dining room decoration. I got some quality things for under 5 bucks which puts a smile on my face. They are now in a closet that holds our Christmas things. Christmas shopping in June. But come December I will be glad we got these items. For dinner this day I am baking a couple of nice bakers I have and oven cooking some chicken breast tenders rolled in lemon pepper Panko. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE How is Jack's foot doing this day? I hope y'all enjoyed your drive in the country. for you and Jack being OP for so long. It will be interesting to hear how much you lost when you lose that water weight. OH ~ I can't eat much of the sweets either anymore. I would rather have fruit and for the most part. A taste of a good pie is about all I want anymore. My system calls out for fiber ~ so I have one of those that has to incorporate lots of fiber into my diet to keep it on a regular keel. I bet your library does have that book program for you to download. Sure saves money to do it that way.

JEAN I can just hear those neighbors at the lake teasing Bob when he isn't there to enjoy a vacation but to work. Those eagles are something now aren't they. Wonder with they will finally leave the nest.

GAIL I just know you can get you FIL to do his "thing" to get back to dancing. If he wants to dance again he will do his rehab exercises. If he sits and does nothing then he will get nothing for his lack of effort. You go girlfirend you can deal with this gentleman.

SUSAN What ply tire do you have that would blow just hitting a curb? Sorry that did happen though for they can get spendy. Are you ready for this? We run 265 (the size); 75R (size of radial); 16 (inches of rim) 10Ply. But our Jeep is called a "Rock Crawler" so it had better be able to climb a curb.

I need to go start dinner now. Time sure flys when you are having fun. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-04-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #23  

Maggie -- I was beginning to think you were out and about having fun today when you weren't here earlier! It has cooled down nicely since the sun has gone down. Bob thought it was "hot and humid" but he was outside working most of the day. He came home and mowed the yard after finishing the shed doors at the cabin. The weatherman says we are going to have several high 80s and low 90days next week. It sounds like you made quite a haul at the yard sale. Our party neighbors, who live behind us, have another couple there tonight. They've been hootin' and hollerin' since late afternoon, either on their deck or down below in the yard. They tried for an hour to get a charcoal grill started while they have a gas grill sitting right beside it. I'm sure by the time they eat they will be feeling no pain. They have a place up at Okoboji, but not on the lake, where they spend most of their time. I have no clue why they'd come home this weekend.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #24  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful morning in my corner of the world; sunny, slight breeze, and low humidity. We skipped church this morning, and really don't have a good reason other than a lay person was speaking since the pastors are at annual conference in Des Moines. I've read the paper and started the dishwasher; I thought the rinse stuff was disappearing too quickly so have been paying better attention. I let it go completely empty, refilled it, and before I could run it again the gauge said it was half full. This will be the second service call in 3 years and I am not a happy camper about that!

I have a load of laundry to take downstairs then need to sort through some shoe boxes in the closet. I know I haven't worn some of the shoes, hiding in them, for a long time; they are going in the SOS box!

Have a relaxing day and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #25  

Good afternoon, ladies! It's only 68 degrees. We had a thunderstorm earlier today and that was good for we are really dry again.

I maintained at WW yesterday and that was good. I've added 8 points to my original 29 so that is a goodly amount in addition to my APs and WPs. My first word day will be June 18. I'm looking forward to it. The classes are good.

Glory and I went to tea yesterday afternoon. Nora, the English lady who puts on the teas, was just back from there and had several new items on the tea including the fruitcake that was served at The Wedding, and Queen Victoria sponge cake. Everything served at the tea is just a bite or two so it's a no guilt to try them.

Maggie, my tire was covered under the road hazard clause so I don't think its uncommon for hitting the curb just right blowing a tire. I have Goodyear Eagles on my car. I'm like you, love to find a bargain at thrift shops or yard sales. I feel so virtuous.

Jean, sometimes it's just nice to kick back on Sunday morning and read the papers. I go to the Saturday evening Mass and then I can do that, too.

Faye, I'm surprised you were here already!

Gail, I hope your weekend is going good for you.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #26  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Wow. What a weekend! Wayne and I went to Va. Beach. Again. This time we drove down early Saturday morning and were back home by midnight! But it felt good to wake up in our own bed, wake up and go to church (empowers us for the week ahead!), go to the fruit/veggie/lawn care place, come home and putter around the house. Same ol' same ol' with my Dad. I will drive down and spring my FIL from jail...I mean the hospital on the 14th, bring him up to Delaware and then back we go on the 29th for a doctor's appointment on the 30th. He has not been in his own house since April 27 and I know how badly he wants to go home but he does realize until he sees his doctor on the 30th he needs help. There is no help for him in Va. Beach. Help is here in Delaware. One day he will be able to dance but slow dances only. He knows this. BUT...one thing we're starting to notice with my FIL is that he's aging incredibly fast now. He has moments of confusion. Not bad moments; he knows who he is, who everyone is, where he is. He just has moments where he stops and he has to think or he may speak a little too fast and he gets things wrong. He catches himself. But he's a tough old bird.

I just wish I could give a better report about my weight. While I'm hanging in the area of maintaining (3 lbs. more or less than what I have posted), it scares me to think I could slip so easily back up above 200. I never want to see that.

Today is going to be a very nice day and a busy one but I wanted to come in and say hello to everyone. I promise I will get back in here and get more personal but I just wanted y'all to know I'm okay.

Take care...
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #27  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is going to be a HOT one today! There is NO wind and no one is outside unless they have to be. I've been to church only to find out that the program I need to use wasn't installed on the new computer that I need to use. When the secretary called the rep, he said it would be a 1/2 hour wait. Yeah, right -- 2 hours later I finally came home and will go back when he's been there and gone. I did help the VBS director get set up, sorted snack food items, and made name tags. We've had a lot register but there are always those who just show up at the last minute.

Susan -- on another maintain at WW this time. You are doing so well with the program. I'm glad that Glory is feeling better and could go the tea with you. A tiny bite of different goodies is a good idea. I wish they would do that at potlucks!

Gail -- Your car will soon be on automatic pilot after all your recent trips to VA. I think any time an elderly person has a major medical issue, they don't bounce back as easily. Heck, I get confused when I can't remember what it is I wanted to say if my train of thought gets interrupted. As far as your weight ups and downs, just try to eat sensibly and be aware of what goes in your mouth. That's hard I know.

Maggie -- What are you up to today?

"Gma" -- Whheeerrrreeeee are you? I hope all is ok at your house.

There is another load of laundry waiting in the basement and a load of towels to fold. Hope you all have a marvelous Monday and enjoy whatever you are doing today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is in the high 90's right now and fixin' to get over 100 this day. No spring. We hopped right into the heat of summer. Our Jeep is acting up so it gets a check up on Friday. Probably needs the tranney serviced. Whatever it is it is fixable and not to fret. The dogs don't want to be outside much with this heat. Can't blame them though. I just knew I was going out of bounds too much this past week and was paid off with one pound gain :. Got to get a grip and get back on it now so I will do just that. Those dogs. Will got each a new toy but they weren't exactly alike so each wanted each others then they wanted the other one back and on it went. Next time they have to be exactly alike. They are like a couple of two year old kids going at it. My sides hurt from laughing. Will now has the nicest piece of marble to pound on. He needs that hard surface to do some of his leather work. I need to tackle my kitchen and get it all squared away again. I didn't put some things up where they belonged and need to get at it this afternoon. I am not having good succes growing herbs on a shelf in the window in there. I think I will just not try that anymore. The basil and parsley look real good but the chives and thyme are not well. Will can replant the two that look good in the garden or not. I am through trying to grow my herbs inside. Through. Fini. That's it. No more.

JEAN I don't know why the tech folks can't come when the say they will or call. I hate to sit around waiting. Good for you to go home and wait. VBS is always a fun thing to do. And lots of work. I imagine it is as hot there as it is here this day.

GAIL That is a scarey thought to go back up after it has been so hard to go down. Put the skids on and hold firm. We don't want to regain what it took "blood sweat and tears" to get off. Graceous girlfriend we can do this thing. You see I can tell you that because I need it also. we can do this thing together ya know. It is a bright day to be OP.

SUSAN I know you are looking forward to that first work day! on that maintain and WOW you get to add points. What a wonderful reward to have lost so much. That tea sounds like it was a fun do ~ gettin a taste of British pasteries.

DONNA FAYE Were art thou?

Time to go and fix some lunch and then tackle rearanging my kitchen counters to make them more user friendly. Type at y'all later ~ have a great afternoon.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-06-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #29  

Afternoon ladies! We are ok here in Elvisland. I just got a wild hair after posting on Sat about a ride to Nashville and we packed up and went to Nashville for the whole weekend. It was wonderful. Fortune was sick, but his little tummy and intestines always cause him trouble if he gets excited. I just hope we don't have to go another round of antibiotics. I made him some eggs this afternoon and so far he hasn't even eaten that. We stayed at a fairly new Red Roof Inn that had an outdoor pool and a big king room with a fridge and microwave and it didn't cost us a cent to bring Fortune. We stayed cool the whole weekend. We had to come back this morning though because Jack had to go to the drs.

They did xray his foot today, it was another doctor not the same one and this one had sense enough to put him on light duty where he sits at a desk all week with his foot up. He says that now it hurts when he is just sitting too. Since it has not breaks or cracks I imagine he may have a pinched nerve or bruised muscle. I asked him if he stepped on something possibly but he says no so who knows. He is still gimping around.

We came home to the house being ok, but not particularly cool. We just cannot afford to buy a new unit so we are doing the next best thing and getting a portable unit for upstairs in the bedroom and one for the downstairs for the living room/kitchen area. We can vent it out through a window and it is flat so it is not seen by the outside besides there is a couple big bushes in front of the windows. It is portable on wheels and sits inside on the floor instead of in the window. It isn't going against condo rules as it doesn't change the outside of the condo besides there are folks here who have window units and if they want to make a stink about ours then theirs definitely have to go. It is the best solution for us for now.

I will talk to you gals more tomorrow. For now, it is going to be a hot and muggy evening as it is over 95 degrees here today. Have a good afternoon all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #30  

Good evening, ladies! Another lovely day in the low 80s.

I didn't get to the Y today because the electrician was coming - this morning he said - got here at 4 pm. I was a bit miffed. The new Heat/AC goes in on Wednesday. Those folks are so nice and they gave me a 10% discount since I'm a senior.

Gail, it seems like it sure has been raining in your life. Good luck with your FIL living there. You are doing well to maintain at this point.

Jean, I hope the people at church are appreciating all you do. Was that levee that broke near you? I ask because they said it closed part of the interstate.

Maggie, I would love to meet your dogs in person. I love the stories you tell about their antics.

Faye, that's nice you had a little mini vacation for the weekend. It sounds like you have the solution to your AC problems for now. I hope Fortune is okay and eating again.

Have a great evening. I'm reading a good book "Islands" by Anne Sidden and that's what I'm going to do this evening instead of tv.