Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #3

Good morning to you all. It is cold in my part of the world this morning though it is dry. I guess I am going to have to call the maintenance company for the condos as our down spout has a long rip in it and is dripping water something fierce.

Does anyone besides me get tired of dealing with foreign outsourcing when they call about an issue with a company you deal with? I just got off the phone with direct tv because the payment I made never came through the bank. I hadn't been contacted, no email, nothing so I went to my account and found they had reversed the payment. So, I called, got someone one from either Pakistan or India on the phone and went through the whole rigamarole and she asked me if I had called my bank. I told her I didn't need to call my bank that it was direct tv that reversed the payment and not my bank that had denied it! GRRRRR! I went round and round with this woman and finally got so mad I just hung up on her and emailed them. I told them off pretty good. I have never had problems with direct tv in the 5 years we have had satellite, but this really irks me because I am afraid of them double billing me or something since it now seems screwed up. I am also mad because they never even let me know they had reversed the payment even by email! I now have to go back and resubmit payment and hope they don't take it out twice. I usually handle stuff by email as I don't like dealing with the foreigners who you can't understand on the phone and half the time they don't understand you. I had to tell this woman 4 times what my phone number was and then she still couldn't get it so I had to give her my account number, which I had to look up. On top of that, then she said the account number didn't exist, then chastised me when she said that the reason she couldn't find it was because I said there was a zero at the beginning of the account number and there was no "0" at the beginning of the account number. I was sitting here at the computer online at direct tv looking right at the number!!! What a way to start the morning!

Maggie: Glad you got your wok. They are always fun and a quick way to make meals I think. I have a Bissell that we love though it is heavy. It does a great job whether you are cleaning whole carpets or just spot cleaning. The attachment is easy to use too, which is nice.

Jean: I was talking to Jack last night about having watched Graham Norton on tv yesteday and Kurt Russell was on. They were talking about him playing Elvis and such and I said something about Elvis's birthday was last Saturday as we were talking about Jack having Monday off. I said I thought if they were going to give them a day off for MLK then they should have Elvis's birthday off too, because he did a lot more for this city than that rabble rouser ever did. I got to chuckling at your comment about trucks of snow as it reminded me of a movie I love. Have you ever seen "The Thrill of it All," with Doris Day and James Garner. In the movie the company she makes commercials for unbeknownst to her puts an inground pool in her backyard so they can do their laundry soap commercials at her home. They set up the "scene" with the soap boxes and such set up next to the pool. Her husbandthe doctor, not knowing about the pool, drives into what used to be the back parking and right into the pool with his convertible. He is so mad he kicks the soap powder into the pool and the pool filter converts it to tons of soapsuds. The whole back yard looks like fog from the suds. They try to truck them out in dump trucks and you see them driving down the street with the soap suds floating out of the trucks into the air. It is a funny part of the movie.

I guess I better get a move on. I finished my one book and it was really good. I need to work on socks so I can get them all finished. Have a great weekend all. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-14-2011 at 08:49 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #2  

Happy Friday, Flowers! It is to be "mostly" cloudy today, but warming up to be in the 20s . . . more snow is on the way. I need to run a couple errands and work on some more tax stuff as well as declutter another catch-all cupboard in the livingroom. I love all my cupboards but it's way too easy to stash things in a hurry, sort of the "out of sight out of mind and it will go away" mentality.

"Gma" -- Your #3 was NOT there when I logged in. I wonder why that happens because there was enough time lapse. I always ask for someone in the U. S. who speaks understandable English and usually get transferred right away. That is so frustrating for you! I think I've seen all of the Doris Day/James Garner movies. They were the best kind -- no blood, guts, or violence.

Guess I will get moving for the day. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #3  

Jean: That happened to me last time too, only it was the old thread number not showing up. Don't worry about it. Since no one has posted to it, you should be able to delete it. If you don't want the hassle we can just post a close thread on it.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #4  

I don't know how to do either one.

Last edited by Jean; 01-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is warming up and the snow will melt. I just got through cutting up fruit to have ready to eat. I made a fruit medly with just lemon juice sprinkled on it to keep things from turning brown. I cut up apple. kiwi, mango, orange, pink grapefruit, and fresh pineapple and added a handful of seedless grapes. It is all in a bowl in the fridge. I told Will it was there and he is welcome to have any but I didn't add any type of dressing so if he wants he can. He will probably eat it as is. I am sipping a latte ~ first one I have had in a few days and it sure tastes good. Should give me a bit of a "pick me up" since they have a double shot of espresso. Schwans came today so I need to straighten out the big upright freezer and organize everything the way I like it. I do like to know what I have in there. I have a running list of what I have in my pantry [a hall closet w/shelves] also so I have no surprises there either. I have large containers of the herbs and spices I use quite often that I get at Sams. Sure pays to buy in the larger container that is if you use a lot. Some things I just get in the small containers because they lose their freshness quicker then other items. But if they get "old" you can always just use more of it. Sure a lot of ambulances and cops and fireturcks going by today ~ wonder what's going on. The dispatch center is close by here a few streets over and we hear when they leave the station. They usually get the outside neighbor dogs to barking but not today. When the outside ones bark then our two think they need to help them and join in with a bark or two. I am glad they don't go on and on. I can handle a couple barks but . . . gracious sakes out they go if they don't stop. Most of the time it is very quiet here in this neighborhood. I like the sounds of silence. You can hear the corn grow if you are real quiet in the field. When I was 5 my grandpa told me that and I got real quiet and the breeze ruseled the leaves and I was convinced he knew what he was talking about. I heard the corn grow. I think he just wanted me to pipe down and be quiet ~ looking back on it with adult eyes. He was such a good grandpa. Taught me lots of stuff he did. I loved to go stay the summers with them as a kid. My siblings weren't so keen on staying the whole summer so you can imagine what I got into. My grandpa bought me a pair of overalls for work and my grandma braided my hair and I was set. Now aren't you glad I took you down memory lane and you learned about that. Tales of the years gone by.

DONNA FAYE I too ask for a person that speaks clear english if I get one on the phone that doesn't. Some of the foreign folks have learned to enounceate their words better then others. It is frustrating to not be able to get across what you are saying. They need practice and it isn't good for the companies to use us as the ones for them to practice on. I ended up with two woks ~ the person I delt with doubled my order somehow and now I have to either keep the second one or send it back and wait and wait until they put the money back on my card. I am leaning on keeping it since I paid for it. I have never had that trouble with that company before for they are really up and up. Will said he can use one outside on his grill and that way he won't mess up the one in the kitchen. We have separate pans and such for cooking outside.

JEAN You can go in and delete that post you started since no one else has posted on it yet. I've done that before Tax time is fast approaching isn't it. Time has come to gather all the receipts and things to get the job done. Not my favorite thing to do. I am so glad that Will takes care of our finances. I used to, but one year he said he wanted to and I gladly gave it over to him. He is good at it so there you have it. If I had to I could do it and that is what matters here. Our snow is slowly melting. Sounds like someone is out scraping the gutters as I type. We don't have any cupboards in the living room or I would probably do the same as you do with them. People are coming so I would quickly pick up the room and stash the stuff in the cupboard. Makes sense to me. There is a closet at the beginning of the hall-way but Will has some of his outside things in there using up the space. It doesn't have as much shelving in it as the one further down the hall I use for a pantry. Ragg Mopp used to have all the toys in the living room floor. Now Beanie comes along and they are all at the beginning of the hall-way. All of them. Nothing is sacred. He has taken over all of Ragg Mopps toys. AH but when Ragg Mopp wants one he just goes and gets it. But there they all are right in the walkway from the living room to the kitchen and the entrance to the hall-way. Right in the way. Plus if anyone came in the front door right now he would be greated by a bunch of doggie toys laying on the rug a little ways before him. Aren't pets fun.

SUSAN How ya doin' this day? Did you get that extra job after all?

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Back...JEAN I'll go over and post a "closed" sign on that thread. You two posted here while I was busy typing away.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #6  

Maggie -- I miss eating grapefruit . . . neither one of us is supposed to eat it because of cholesterol meds. I have fond memories of my maternal grandparents; we lived with them for a couple years while my dad was building a new station and living quarters after moving back from MN. My dad's parents were divorced. My grandpa remarried and had two children just slightly older than I. I would spend some time each summer with them on the farm and what fun we had. My grandmother lived next door to us . . . not so many good memories there. Long story short is she thought I was a spoiled brat and didn't hesitate to tell me so. I was the 2nd granddaughter and the 1st was her favorite. Thanks for closing the thread I started; I did go back but didn't see "delete" anywhere.

Susan -- Have fun on your retreat this weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 01-14-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #7  

Good morning to all! It is chilly here this morning as I hear the furnace kick on, but it is supposed to be warming up during the daytimes. I have got to get cleaning done today and go to the grocery store and that is about it in the excitement department for us today. Kelly is out of town all weekend until Tuesday and Tom and Thomas are off on a scout camping trip since Monday is a holiday. I texted him and told him to have a good time to stay dry, warm and watch out for "evil" mice!!! I figure he would get a kick out of that.

Susan: Hope you are having a good time on your little trip. I am gettng cabin fever and need a road trip as Jack and I call it, but I don't know when we could do that. Jack doesn't want to use up his vacation.

Maggie: Nothing better than a bowl of fresh fruit. I have trouble keeping my freezers straight as Jack tends to just shove stuff back in when he gets something out or out chest freezer just drop it and leave it where it lays! He is a lot of wonderful things, neat he isn't! I imagine he will sleep in this morning as he didn't go to be until really late last night.

Jean: My grandfather was kind of a tyrant. He was an Archie Bunker type without too much of the bigotry. My grandmother was a doll and so sweet and she sure could cook. I didn't know my father's parents at all. They died when he was a kid as did his sisters. His sisters were killed in a car accident. I am named after one of my dad's sisters and my brother thought it would be funny to send me a picture of her gravestone because it basically has my name on it. Didn't bother me any. This this your "off" year for Hawaii? I wish they would start posting 2011 show schedules so I can buy tickets for Branson. I like to get things lined up even if it is months away. One of the things about Branson is finding shows that aren't "country" oriented. I am not a country music fan and about 75% of shows are pretty much country. I want to get tickets to a magician, a murder mystery dinner, an Elvis impersonator (who I saw online is leaving his current venue a week before we get there, darn) and a group of brother singers called "SIX." They use no instruments whatsoever, but use their voices to imitate the different instruments when they sing. The get rave reviews and I thought we would enjoy it. Jack is all into production type shows so I am looking at one called "Hooray for Hollywood" which has video clips of old movies and such and they sing the songs of that era with the costumes and all. Jack would love it I am sure.

We filed our taxes online and should get the refund back in about 10 days so then we can do the things we need to do. I sure hope they can fix the car for under $2000 or we may just decide not to get it fixed. It is high mileage anyway, but except for this happening again, it has always run like a clock and is great for Jack to just drive back and forth to work. I think we are going to get a two seat recliner that has cup holders and a storage space between. I found one online at one of the furniture stores here that the color would go well with the stitching on our blue sofa.

You girls have a nice Saturday and have some fun today! Faye
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's spitting snow with a wind chill of 6 degrees this morning. It's only supposed to get into the high teens. Snow showers tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday . . . enough is enough, I want some sunshine! Today is laundry with more sorting and pitching along the way. Leftover pasta casserole is on the menu for lunch.

"Gma" -- I remember one winter when Jason was older, the scouts hiked out to the island in the middle of our lake and camped out all night. They dug holes in the snow to sleep in. He thought it was a marvelous time, while I worried he would catch pneumonia. I know what you mean about cabin fever! I wanted to run a couple errands yesterday, but it seems like all the "crazies" in this town come out on Friday so I stayed home. I don't remember having this "want to get out" feeling so much last year maybe because we were looking forward to Maui. I keep getting 'cheap' deals online from the airlines which make me want to go back now. There is a group of 4 guys who went to college here and formed a group that does the same thing as SIX. They are really good and have been to Vegas. I want to see Elvis in Branson too. I'm surprised they aren't advertising their 2011 programs although this is a slow time of year for them. When we were there, most didn't get going until after Easter which is late this year -- April 24th, Beth's birthday. I hope you get your tax refund asap so you can buy a dryer. We wait until the last possible moment to send our's in!

I need to get going. Bob is out feeding the birds and squirrels, then will make his morning rounds of visiting his favorite farmer 'haunts.' Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Chilly Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 30 and feels like 30 because the wind isn't blowing. Will wonders never cese. The wind blows 99.9% of the time here. OH, Beanie is having such a good time with one of Will's old shoes. It is as big as he is and he is dragging up and down the hallway. That little scudder is such a hoot. He does things that Ragg Mopp never did and that is good for he isn't a carbon copy. My new Stir-Frying book arrived today. It says it is "The ultimate guide to mastery, with authentic recipes and stories." She has written another book I want titled "The Breath of a Wok." Maybe Will can find it on his cheap book site. What fun I am going to have going through her book this day. Stir fry is a good way to get in needed fats and if I have already gotten them in I can use a tad bit if spray to stir fry with. There for awhile I wasn't getting in enough of the necessary fat and had to readjust. I even eat my toast dry nowdays. The decision has been made of what to take for pot-luck tomorrow. Will said he will buy one of those huge veggie trays from the market. Those always go over well with the group and I can always use the "left overs" if there are any. I don't have to decide on what to cook now. There is always so much food there and I always want to take something that is good and good for you. I love it when some lady brings a salad without pouring lots of dressing on it and just has some bottles of various kinds setting by the bowl. I eat my green salad dry these days also and prefer it that way. Gone are the days where I piled on the blue cheese dressing and it wasn't the low fat kind then. I shudder to think of it. All that goo. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE I got a kick out of your not liking country music but like going to Branson which is all about country. They do have some nice shows for everyone there though. I love that place and want to get back there one day. Yep, that is why I got to my freezer to re-arrange things because the Schwan man came and Will just shoved the frozen packages in anywhere. But they all fit in there. Now I can see what I have. The door is harder to keep straight though because that is where small packages go. But at least on the door it isn't hard to find something because the shelves aren't that deep. On one of the freezer shelves I have containers of flour shoved to the back. They are of the whole wheat kind that do go rancid after awhile if it isnt used for they have a short shelf life. Flour freezes quite well and you don't have to wait till it thaws to use it. The small packages of chopped onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms, etc. live in the side by side freezer of the fridge in the kitchen. I try to be organized.

JEAN I can't eat grapefruit for at least an hour after I take my meds in the morning either so I eat the fruit medly for lunch time or dinner if it has pink grapefruit in it. I love that pink grapefruit and like to get it already sectioned in jars. This one was still in it's skin and I had a time of it pealing it. Sounds like you are ready for Spring to arrive. Wouldn't it be nice. Soft Spring breezes. Coats all stored in the closet till next Fall when it starts to get chilly. Your trip to Maui will get here quicker than you realize now. Nice of Bob to replinish the food for the critters. We don't encourage them to come around here and get used to food in the Winter for they have "memory" and would be back in the Spring and we don't want them in our garden. We have to net our apple tree to keep the birds from pecking the apples. And net the strawberry and blackberry plants so they don't eat them up. They don't seem to bother the pepper plants. They just like the fruit. We like it too and want to get some or all of what we planted.

SUSAN I do so hope you are enjoying yourself on your jaunt. Stay warm and safe now ya hear.

This is a day where I don't really have a lot that "has" to be done. I am free. Have a lovely afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-15-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #10  

Good morning to you gals. I just let Fortune out and it is fairly decent though overcast today. It doesn't seem very cold at all.

Jackson got tubes in his ears on Friday so I called him yesterday to talk to him about it. When his dad got him on the phone I said, "Who is this?" He said, "ME!" I talked to him a bit about building snowmen, his ears, the hospital and such and then I hear him say, "Talk to Nonny" and his mom comes on the ine. He was through talking! I can understand him a lot better than I could Thomas at that age. Thomas has always been sort of a fast talker I think and he has a softer voice.

Kelly's socks are on the foot now and the colors sure are bright and vibrant. It is hand dyed yarn. My only concern is the little round skein had too much of each color and I won't get to use them all on the sock before the sock is done. I think I am going to take what is left over from the skeins and combine them with another varigarted bright colored sock yarn and make another pair that way. I will have to decide how to make them so they don't look ridiculous. I bought the yarn for a pair of socks for Jackson a couple years back and I have quit a bit of it left.

Maggie: I am definitely already wanting spring. I just don't like the winter months anymore. They were great when I was a kid, but being older they are such much more detrimental that I don't enjoy them. When I talked to Alicia she said they are still getting snow and I am so glad we don't still live there in that. I think you would like Pancit. It is some type of meat chopped up and stir fried (usually pork or chicken) then tiny chunks of veggies, then rice noodles stirred in and then egg scrambled into it with soy sauce and water and corn starch to thicken it. It is similar to the American Chinese food Mei Fun. I just love the little ultra thin rice noodles.

Jean: I have been getting bombarded with Vegas hotel sales. They have been coming everyday for over a year now, but the last week it has sort of been quiet. I expect they will start again soon. The Elvis that is "moving on" from his Branson gig is being replaced by a younger guy who won a couple Elvis contests and placed second on one of the tv talent shows. I watched his Utube video on his talent show performance and he is pretty darn good so we will probably buy tickets for him. I wouldn't mind going back to see the Liverpool Legends again since they are going to be in town. They were just so good. We might if we have trouble with tickets for other stuff.

Yeah, I get my haircut on Friday!!! I haven't had a haircut since the first part of Sept. I grew it out because the last three times I got it cut the stylists whacked it up. The lady that used to do it all the time took over as manager and cut back on her client time. I am going to spend a whopping amount of money to get it cut right as I am going to the most expensive salon in town, but I need it fixed. I have always had beautiful body in my hair and since the three whack jobs it now has uncontrolled curliness that needs to be tamed. I found this website where you could pick the length, hair type, face type etc and it would give you pictures of styles good for you. It has at least 8 that I really like so I am taking it with me to discuss with my stylist. Since they mess it up, I can't wear it spiked anymore as the curl totally makes it unmanageable.

Well gals, you all have a great day! Talk to you later! Faye
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy, cold, and a little breezy in my neighborhood this morning. I've been to early church and made a WM stop on my way home. Bob is singing so stayed to have coffee and visit between services. I found another thing to add to my list that WM no longer carries . . . Rolaids. I got started with them when I was pregnant with Jason and just like to keep some on hand. A roll probably lasts me a year or more.

Maggie -- Beanie sounds like such a neat little guy. Every cat we've ever had has had a different personality make-up, just like human kids. A veggie tray sounds like a good deal, and less work for you. I have to host a group in Feb. and I'm seriously thinking of ordering a cheesecake from a catering gal. I'm going to go back and reread my med info; maybe I can have grapefruit after all.

"Gma" -- At least Jackson will talk to you on the phone -- Jason used to shake his head "yes" or "no." I couldn't figure out how Kelly's sock got on a foot! Talk about being dense! I didn't realize the Elvis guy was leaving for good. I guess there is one in Vegas, but I haven't heard anything about him. There's nothing worse than a bad haircut! Over the years I've taken pictures along with my 2 cents worth, and the gal always does it "her" way.

Susan -- Hope you arrive home safely and had a good time.

I haven't read the paper so guess I will do that while I wait for Bob to come home. Have a super Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-16-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am so thankful that what the weather man said would come this morning did not appear. He said that we were going to get freezing rain that would coat the roads and sidewalks with ice. YIPEKIO it is clear this day and the snow is still melting. I ate smart at pot-luck this day. WOW there was a whole table filled with desserts. One lady brought those little bite sized cheesecakes. There were three kinds and I took one of each. Left all else alone. Took the skin off the chicken breast and ate some veggies. I patted myself on the back for I stayed away from all those ooey goey yummy dishes that appear at pot-lucks and only took what I was able to count the p+ on. I did have one tiny slice of a pizza which was made by a gal who makes the best in town. She and her husband own the bowling alley and she bakes pizza there and folks go there for just that. We have Pizza Hut and Dominoes but they don't rise to her caliber. Life is good. Tomorrow night is weigh time and I am looking forward to a loss. If i don't show a loss then I will just not trip and journey on down the road because I have done a good job this week. I don't always show a loss when I think I should.

DONNA FAYE Do you have the recipe for Pancit with the amount of the ingredients of the delicous sounding dish you posted? I would like to have it if you do. Two books I am going to have Will look for me on his cheap book site are "The Breath of a Wok" by Grace Young and "300 Best Stir-Fry recipes" by Nancie McDermott. I hope your haircut turns out the way you want it to. Once when I was in the work force I went in for a "health" trim. My hair was very long and I wore it up mostly at work and just wanted to very ends cut off. Well the gal cut over 6 inches off and I was not a happy camper. I didn't yell or scream ~ my jaw just dropped. The owner came over and was agast. He told that gal he had specifically told her to just take a quarter inch off. NOT half a foot. He told me that I could come in every week for free for a year and have what ever I wanted done to my hair they would do it and not by that gal for she wouldn't be working for him ever again. He was Ruby Begonia and quite a charmer.

JEAN Do check your med instructions and it may say how long to wait before eating things like grapefruit. Or maybe it may say never. Got to be careful now. The doc just told me to wait an hour after taking my thyroid meds. I take those "stand alone" for they are taken before eating anything or any other meds ingested. So I pop one of them when I get up and take my other ones after my first meal. Yep Beanie has a mind of his own and is a corker. He is so playful and then when I do pick him up he just cuddles up against my shoulder so sweetly. Then when I put him down he goes like a tornado with his toys. He is such a sweet little thing and makes us laugh a lot. Comes when we call his name.

SUSAN Hope all is well with you this day.

Well Magnolias I am off to go check the roast. Have a wonderful afternoon my friends. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-16-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #13  

Talking

Maggie -- It sounds like you handled the potlluck quite well. I hope the WW scale is kind to you tomorrow night. The med I take is for cholesterol, and it does say not to eat grapefruit; I checked Bob's and his says the same thing. I guess I will read a bit and head off to bed. See you all tomorrow. I will be curious to see what the weather is doing in the morning since they have changed the forecast from snow showers to freezing rain late tonight and into tomorrow.

Last edited by Jean; 01-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #14  

Good morning to you ladies. It is raining and 39 degrees at the moment. Today is run errands and just get out of the house for awhile day. I finished the downstairs yesterday and am doing laundry today. No more than two weeks and I can buy the dryer of my choice and have it installed than no more laundromat. It isn't as easy as having your dryer in the home, but waiting and basically paying cash instead of putting it on a credit card or charging it in some other way is a better deal. I am anxious to see what they say about the car. I sure hope it is another of the plugs instead of the same one as it will cost around $700 versus close to $2000 if the whole shebang has to be replaced. Don't asked me to explain exactly what it is, suffice it to say, that the first time the plug shot out of the heli coil and they had to redrill, retap and replace it and it can't be done again if the same plug comes out. If it does, that whole section with all the plugs and stuff has to be replaced. The guy said labor alone is around $1100. I have the receipt for the last time and it happened in 2008 and cost $666.44 so we shall see. As soon as we get our refund we will have it towed in and looked at. If we don't feel it is worth the money to get it fixed we will sell it for salvage to one of the companies here and have them come get it right from Firestone. Hopefully, that won't be the case as I would like to have "my" car back!

Here is the exact wording for Jack's Zocor. " AVOID GRAPEFRUIT UNLESS MD INSTRUCTS OTHERWISE." Luckily, he hates grapefruit so it is a non issue and I don't take cholesterol drugs. It piqued my curiosity as to why and this is what the article I found said, "When grapefruit or grapefruit juice is consumed at or around the time you take your statin, the components in grapefruit prevent these enzyme systems from breaking down the drug, causing the drug to accumulate in high amounts in the body. This can be very dangerous and can cause a variety of health problems, such as liver damage or a rare condition called rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle and kidney damage). So guess grapefruit lovers on statins just have to drink orange juice!

Jean: Oh my gosh, I got the giggles when I went back and looked at what I had posted about the sock so.... " I have knit to the foot portion of Kelly's socks." I kept seeing just a foot of a mannequin with the knitted sock on it and me knitting round and round the foot! You know, seriously, I did read that socks knit from the toe up instead of top down fit better because you can try them on as you knit. Of course, the person you make them for has to be at the house all the time so you can keep putting them on them, so guess I will stick to top down socks! There are a bazillion Elvis impersonators in Las Vegas. You see them walking down the street for heaven's sake! Don't you wonder what he would think about all this? When I was watching that Graham Norton program, Kurt Russell said he had talked to Elvis and Elvis had told him that basically, "Elvis" was invented. He said it was a totally fake personna and not him at all. I do know that there is a really good Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas who goes by "Big Elvis." He used to be at Bill's Gambling Hall across from Bally's. His shows were in the afternoon and totally free. He was a huge man, probably 400-500 lbs and then he met a woman, fell in love, got married and he is no longer a "big" Elvis I guess. He lost a couple hundred lbs. I just think how much better lung capacity he has to have now.

Maggie: Allrecipes.com has several Pancit recipes, but this one is a straight Philipino one and probably as close to what I have had. The noodles are just their ethnic name. You should be able to find them in the chinese section of a store. They will be in cellophone, white and usually called rice noodles. It really is yummy!

Pancit Bihon

1 8 oz. pack pancit bihon noodles

1 cooked chicken breast, shredded ( you can use pork, cut up and stir fried in small pieces too and I think I would use beef broth instead of chicken if I was making pork pancit)

2 cups of chicken broth or 2 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups of water

1/4 cabbage, sliced into strips

1 onion, pealed and sliced

3 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced

1/3 cup scallions, cut into pieces

1 carrot, sliced into strips

2 tablespoons of cooking oil

3/4 cup diced celery

3 tablespoons soy sauce

Salt and pepper to taste

Pancit Bihon Cooking Instructions:

Soak the pancit bihon noodles to soften for 10 minutes

Grease a large pan or wok with oil. Sauté garlic and onions.

Add the chicken broth, the shredded chicken breast and all the vegetables until cooked.

Mix in the pancit bihon noodles and add the soy sauce, cook for about 5 minutes or until the noodles are soft.

Well today is MLK day so Jack has the day off, which of course he is thrilled with a three day weekend. I just saw online a day or so ago and now nationally that a high school here in Memphis, which is mostly black, has 90 teenage girls pregnant at the school, NINETY! That is disgusting and more disgusting is that we tax payers will foot the bill for their care, their birthing, the babies, milk, diapers, food, etc because the little brats will go on government assistance.

You gals have a lovely day today. I am going to put away dishes and see if Jack is up. I heard some floor creaking above so he might be in his office. Faye
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is so quiet here. Will has gone and taken the dogs to the groomer for a much needed bath. It is amazing how inside pooches can need a bath every two weeks but that is what it is. My eyes are watering today so there must be something floating about that is getting to me. We watched a Angelina Jolie movie last night that was one we had never seen called "Taking Lives." She was an FBI agent in it and it was a hunt for a serial killer. Quite well done. An older movie for it was prier to her boob job. I sure liked her Laura Croft movies. I sure like the way you can download the newest movies right to your TV if you are a member and not have to deal with the mailing back of the disks. They are doning more and more of them in surround sound and are in high definition. My - haven't we come a long way in just a few years. There are sure some smart folks out there in the movie business technical divisions. I am all about seasoning my new wok this day. It is a process I didn't want to tackle before but this is the day. When I get some more money loaded on my debit card I will order some tools I want to use with it. I found the items on three different companies web sites. We don't have a chinese market here or I would go there and shop locally. I sure miss the shops on the left coast. AH, but a lot of them have closed up now. The speciality shops were fun to shop at. There were shops that only sold one kind of an item. Like a container shop. All sorts of containers. And stamps ~ the kind that you use an ink pad with. Stampa Barbara ~ a shop in Santa Barbara that had every stamp you could imagine or could make one up for you. Anyway we don't have anythig like that out here in the Heartland. I do miss those shops. What fun it was. I hear my main squeeze coming in the back door and a dog toy squeeking so they guys all must be here. Nope not the dogs. It was Will squeeking the dogs new toys. He got the cutest little plush Hedgehog that I want to put up on my shelf. Maybe I will for awhile anyway. It looks so cute sitting on the shelf next to my Ragg Mopp stuffed dog. He can stop and get Ragg Mopp a different one.

DONNA FAYE Thank you so much for that recipe. How many does it serve? I copied it and have it printed out now and will certainly give it a go. I can cut back on the oil in it and make it program friendly. Thanks so much. Your sox are delightful. I am so happy for your getting a new clothes dryer. That will certainly be a treat for you not having to go to the laundramat. And I do so hope your car can be fixed without much money outlay. He he, I got to see Elvis when he was alive ~ in person and he talked to me. Yep way back when.

JEAN There is certainly a lot of other fruit one can eat and never touch grapefruit again. I may be wrong and it just might be my BP meds that say to not have it within an hour. I'll have to check on that for sure. I don't have to have grapefruit but sure do like the pink kind. Life can go on with meaning without grapefruit.

SUSAN And how are you on this day?

Too hip, gotta go. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-17-2011 at 05:38 PM.