Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #271  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Tuesday ladies -

Too hot and muggy to do any yard work yesterday and will likely be the same today. Plus, by the time I get home from my physical therapy appointment after work, I'll probably be a bit sore and twingey. And there's a chance of rain this afternoon too. I'm going to walk a little at lunch if it's not raining. I'm signing up to do a 10,000 steps per day challenge that starts next month. I know I'm a long way away from 10,000 steps right now, but maybe if I can break it down into 10 or 15 minute chunks I'll do okay.

Mel - I hope the man from the bank helped, and I hope you got some better answers from the G-Men.

Ceejay - I think when they say that exercise is supposed to lower blood pressure, I think they mean over time not right afterward, which probably explains the machines's readings. Exercise does increase your heart rate while you're doing it and right afterward...so it's not surprising that your pulse rate was higher. I know that exercise has helped lower my blood pressure over time because my doc cut my BP meds in half.

Happy - Yes, we do have swallowtails up here. Thanks for the clarification about the plants. I looked up monarchs and they like milkweed. I'll take a look online to see what it looks like and maybe add that to my garden (along with the parsley and dill).

Shad - Loved your story about how the little girl grew up. It wasn't quite like that for me. My biggest weight gains happened due to a bad marriage, a rough divorce, switching from waitressing to a desk job, and then losing my parents. I definitely turn to unhealthy "comfort" eating during bad times, which isn't all that comforting.

Annie - Doing without starches will be difficult, but I started this day off well so far: an Egg Beater omelette with LOTS of veggies and salsa on top! 60 oz of water per day won't be a problem...except maybe on the weekends, but I'll do it. Doesn't matter how I got here (other than to recognize my eating behavior tendencies)...what matters are the next steps I take. Right?

Well, I've got to write some documentation....the least fave part of my job. Shad...will you do it for me? Anyway, I'd better get to it.

Love and hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #272  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning kids,

This ad lag thing is really getting me annoyed. Wish they'd remove the ad because after all this trouble you KNOW I won't ever buy what they are advertising.

Monarch butterflies like milkweed apparently. And no, the caterpillars do not look like tomato horn worms - those have round spots and are mostly green while the butterflies have stripes. Somewhere around here DH has pictures, will have to find one to post.

Mel - you are usually on by now so I hope your spirits are better and that leprachaun left you his pot of gold under the cabinet in the sink. Thinking of you sister-friend

Ceejay - I would expect after walking your heart rate - and blood pressure would be up a bit. But if you feel your heart was pounding, best to sit a minute and catch your breath. I think what they meant was regular exercise will bring down the overall BP.

Shad - I liked your fairy tale - tho more reality than "tale"

Laura - I always said if I had money and time and was a real princess and did not have to do the mundane things like work for a living then I would be a tiny little petite thing again instead of a short beach ball I think the same can be said for alot of us.

Michelle - hope you are feeling a little better in the back and the trees are all done except for the schmutz gathering. Leave it - in 2 weeks you'll start raking anyway

Annie - I heard they are recommending frozen veggies over fresh since they tend to lose alot of nutrients as they sit fresh and are actually more nutritious when you eat them frozen. Of course every week there is something contradictory to read anyway - isn't that true?

I would really rather be sleeping in but it's off to the salt mine for me. At least I can get in and out of my "mine" easily. My heart goes out to the trapped miners in Chile. Lots of people have worse jobs than me.

Have a good one chicks!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #273  
Choose your hard

Me, me, me - pick me!!!!! Michelle - I will do you "doco" - I love writing documentation.

I started packing on the pounds when I hit menopause and my thyroid went bust at 40. It really got bad when I quit smoking 6 years ago and we moved here. Continual stress every day for years on end did not help any. I am working on it though.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #274  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - Since Shad is probably sleeping right now, you get to write my documentation! My heart also goes out to the miners in Chile and their families. Imagine not being able to get out until Christmas?! That's insane! There are a lot of people who have much worse jobs than I...especially since I actually like my job. And there are a lot more who would love to have a job they could grumble about. I'm pretty darn fortunate. Of course, if I could be a rich princess and not have to work and have a maid and chef and personal trainer, I'd sign up for that gig in a second.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #275  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Happy Tuesday/Wednesday...hump day for me as I am taking Friday off for a 4 day weekend NOT working at either J.O.B.!!!!! I'm so excited, I just can't hide, I'm about to lose my mind and I can't find it.

Chelle...you don't HAVE to eat egg beaters, you may eat regular eggs, unless you are just trying to watch cals and chloresterol (sp). Walking is the only exercise I did when I was losing. I just am not motivated to do anything else. Yes and do watch your portion sizes...for instance if you eat cottage cheese, the portion size is 1/2 cup. Only eat the portion sizes. That was sweet of DH not letting you help in the yard due to your asthma. How thoughtful.....I am sure he needs to be cloned for me.... Actually I haven't seen any of the tomato worm things this year. I did when I lived in the rental a few years back. My son loved destroying them, squishing them and making them spew...YIK

Shaddie...lol on the story, but that is so close to the truth that it hurts....you need to write a book. You are good at writing and describing chit.

Happy...can't wait till spring to plant my parsley....only 201 days till spring. I just as soon skip winter by all means. I don't like ANYTHING about it. Especially shoveling. I have always been told by docs, WW, and anyone with knowledge of food that frozen is always better than canned. It taste better IMO anyway. Today I am going with a gal here to the veggie stand to see what goodies they have left. Hoping to get corns on the cob....I really don't NEED anything, but love love love the cobbers. A little starchie tho.

Ceejay...BP is a funny thing. Anytime I have my BP taken anywhere, besides the docs office is runs like 115/73....but just let me get in the doc office and it runs like 139/88. Doc said it was due to the doc office anxiety. I believe it. Even when I go give blood at draws, the highest it has ever been there was like 180/82 or something. Weird.

MELLIE...hope things are smoothing out a bit for you and your spirits are up. Hugs and loves to you my dear friend.

Got free tickets to the Colts/Cowboys game at Lucas Oil Stadium. Great seats and pretty expensive. Got them through work. I am supposed to be taking a client, but the dude in charge said I could take whomever I wanted to take. So I am taking my DS as he is a HUGE Cowboys fan, I'm not, but oh well. It is not til December 5th tho. Not wishing the to come too quickly. Hate snow and not a big fan of Christmas.

Bout it, going to meet my good friend Lainie and Leanne tonight for a drink at Champp's. It is just across the street from my work. I just saw Leanne Friday, but have not see Lainie since my BD party. I am looking forward to it. Life seems smoother when I am busy....Too much time on my hands makes me depressed. Working Wed/Thurs at CVS, Friday is a meeting at the PT for the update on daddio. He is doing well.

Not much else..gotta get busy...who is the sneaker inner today???

Love and Hugs,
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #276  

Happy Tuesday everyone. This is my hump day and my Thursday because I’m taking vacation Thursday and Friday this week. I’m looking forward to my extra long weekend.

Shad – Interesting to hear your story in your words. My story is that the pounds started coming on when I left college and started my first full time job – a sedentary office job. No more running around between classes, working two part time jobs, exercising in the ladies gym and going out and about with friends and boyfriends. Well, by then there was one steady bf and we ate out a lot. So there it is – sedentary jobs and meals out. Multiplied by 20 years, and oh, add in that emotional eating as well.

Michelle - Did you do any walking at lunch today? I’ll have to pick up my pedometer again too – soon the weather will be good for longer walks at lunchtime and with the dog. The tree trimmings will still be there in a few days, so just take care of your back for now.

Happy – Yep, the monarchs seemed to like my milkweed. But the milkweed got out of hand and I pulled it all a while back. Of course it’s still popping up, but that’s what I get for letting it do what it wanted the past couple years…Interesting about frozen vs. fresh veggies. Our fresh veggies are often not all that fresh by the time they get to our markets (unless it’s the farmers markets), and let’s not even talk about how long they can hang around my kitchen… Frozen is easier for bf and I.

Annie – I was not the sneaker inner – my morning got busy right away. No more talk of that W season, okay? Too early. Let’s enjoy the rest of the summer and hopefully a nice autumn. Mmmm, love that corn on the cob. Hope you’re still excited about the football game come December. Is that stadium a dome?? Enjoy a drink tonight for me! I’ve got you beat on the long weekend. Enjoy your totally labor-free Labor Day weekend.

Ceejay – The way I understand it is that the cardio exercise helps my heart get stronger and pump blood more efficiently. Not sure how the BP fits in there, but I sure hope my time on the treadmill (or elliptical or stationary bike) helps improve the BP. But my doc also stressed cutting back on the salty foods and the processed food. More home cookin’!!! I’m seeing her in 6 months for a physical and I hope to show some improvement in my weight and BP by then.

Mel – I hope you’ve gotten a grip on the $$ issues and are in a better mental place right now.

Not much to report. After work yesterday, I made some cucumber salad, and then spent time in the backyard reading a book. There were enough clouds and enough of a breeze to keep the heat and bugs at bay. Took a dog walk just before 8 pm – almost dark.

Tonight I’ll do the usual dog walk, and then I’ll do one BE workout. Have to pack my gym bag too. Maybe tomorrow I’ll do the end of the day workout. That feels like a good way to start the weekend.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #277  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi everyone -

My back started off okay...but has gone downhill as the morning progressed. I went for a 15 minute walk at lunch before my back said time to rest, so then I relaxed in my car listening to an audio book of "Wicked" - a little after the fact since we saw the stage play last month!

Annie - So happy for you that you get a 4 day holiday weekend from BOTH jobs!! I figured I could eat "real" eggs...but chose to have Egg Beaters because they are lower in chol. and cals. And I don't mind Egg Beaters as long as I have enough veggies and salsa. Thanks for the reminder about portions. I haven't seen any tomato worms here...but we had them big time in CA. How cool that you got free tickets to a Colts game!! I'm sure your DS will love it!! I understand about you being excited about the game but not about December/winter coming. At least Lucas Oil Stadium is a dome...not like the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field (or even Soldier Field in Chi-town for that matter). Have a wonderful time with your friends. Glad to year your father is doing well.

Laura - Wow! You get a 5 day weekend and Annie has a 4 day weekend. I can't complain though, cuz I'm getting a 3.5 day weekend. I'll take it. You're right...the tree stuff will be there. I'm not worried about it. I'll help as much as I can but my back might not let me do much. Then after I get the shot, I have to kind of take it easy for a few days to give the steroid chance to work. Tonight, I'll do my PT exercises and maybe a few extra Pilates-type core strengthening exercises.

Back to the documentation....almost done.

Hugs,
Michelle
Old 08-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #278  
Choose your hard

Since Mel is having her own issues right now I will try and start up the September thread tonight when I get home. After supper of course. DH is attempting a good burger recipe and he already did an oops - but hey, that's how you learn to cook! I'm so I'll eat just about anything.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #279  
Choose your hard

New thread is posted ladies -

Click me but don't kick me

Suffering Succotash - the Worldlies are Slimming in September
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #280  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Of course I will do your doco for you Michelle. After all, I'm sure you will appreciate it more than the lot I for whom I am working.
Sorry to hear the back is playing up again. I always find when sciatica rears its ugly head in my back, I have to sit straight instead of the slumping over the desk and computer that is normal for me. I also notice that if I carry my computer bag - complete with computer over the shoulder then the back seems to lock up to the left in compensation. So balance the loads or wear a back pack. It's habit to carry the strap on the left shoulder.

Laura - the years come and so do the pounds. The years go and the pounds stay. *sigh*. It's a cruel world out there. Some seem to have it so easy.
Enjoy your long weekend.

Annie - you too. Enjoy your weekend away from all offices of work. And have a wee dram for me - or a big one for that matter. Say hi to the ladies. One day, one day, we may all be having a drink at Champps

Happy - Our monarchs live on swan plant. Now I don't know if that is the same thing as you have. They are called swan plants because they bear seed pods in a fat elongated oval with a pointy bit at the end and hang from a long sometimes curved stalk. And as Laura says if you don't do something about them, they spread. Still there are worse things than monarch butterflies around the joint. Nothing seems to eat my parsley - including the DS2!

Ceejay - you BP will rise with exercise. Exercise lifts the heartrate and sends the blood pumping through the body. Lowering BP is not the result of a single bout of kickboxing at the gym or a walk along the pier. It is the result on continual, constant, invigorating exercise done over a period of time. It will not happen overnight but it will happen. Thank you Rachel Hunter for incorporating that saying into everyday life

I miss Mel. Hey - if you are reading this, it is time to talk again. NOW! Do not wallow in misery. How can I help if I can't get to you.

Work sucks - even more than usual. Things are changing on the project again and the person who signed my timesheets is moving on to other things. As yet there is no replacement. I also apparently have a new manager. His name is Andy. I have no idea who he is or where he hangs out. I am presuming it is the Andy who chaired a meeting I went to last week. So far, few people have contacted me regarding anything to be done during this last month of my extended contract. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing, but hey, who am I. If they are happy, leaving me here in an office without any direction and without instruction and are happy to pay me $60ph for doing it, then who am I to whinge and whine. I know what I am - bored that's what. I have nearly done updating all the doco. It will never be great doco, but they are happy with it. I mean - yesterday I just finished a document which details how to find materials in the store. Well actually it doesn't, because every single one of the demonstrations and exercises presumes you know what the bloody catalogue number is! There is nowhere on how to search for the waukesha gasket with the gold teeth and 5/8 encrusting of diamonds. Well that is a bit of an exageration but you get the message. I always thought documentation was supposed to inform, not presume.
Listen buddy if I knew what it was and I knew the %$#^*^& number, why would I be &$*%&#$% looking for it???? I'd just tell the storeman to get me one of those!!!!!! Perhaps it is me! *sigh*

Gotta go. Staring out of the window to be done. Trying to figure out when and where the poltergeist will strike next to be done. Waiting for lunch/ home time to be done. Meantime, I will just drink the coffee and get on with the doco.

Okay before I blow something like a phoo phoo valve. I am off.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote