Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #20

Good morning gals! It is a beautiful blue sky and puffy clouds but a bigtime storm (probably the one Maggie had) is rolling our way this afternoon into tomorrow. At least it will wash all the sap and tree gunk off my deck.

I was stupid and sat up until 11 pm last night watching a movie called "The Two Mr. Kissels." It was about a real pair of brothers who are murdered at different times by different people, but it had a lot to do about wealth and such. I got hooked on it and then had to finish watching it. The one brother's murder was done by his wife in Hong Kong and she is forever in a prison over there. Boy, if I was going to murder someone, it wouldn't be overseas in an asian area that's for sure.

Maggie: I do eat several smaller meals, it just seems like I am very hungry every afternoon. I will just tweak it all until it works for me.

Today is laundry day and Jack is making me wait until he gets home to take it over and dry it so I won't start it until this afternoon. Doesn't really take much to take it over there and dry it actually. I can put it all in one big dryer. They have these huge dryers about twice the size of a regular laudromat dryer and I was putting them in separate dryers but wasting about $2.50 everytime I went. I now just put it all in one and on a lower heat and everything comes out fine.

Well gals, I am going to go. I want to check with a friend and see how her dad is doing. He had a stroke yesterday afternoon and isn't doing so well because they can't get the clot broken up. TTFN Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #2  

Good afternoon, ladies. A nice day in the 70s but it's supposed to only be in the 60s tomorrow then 80s on Sunday - that's Springtime in Virginia!

I'm going to be away for the weekend. I'm going to be with 2 friends up in Moon, VA. We're just going to quilt up a storm. I won't be posting again until Sunday or Monday.

I went to WW today and was down 1.8 so I'm finally back in the 150s. I have 8.6 pounds to goal. Slowly but surely I am getting there. I think the walking is helping a lot. I'm up to 2 miles now.

Faye, I hope you aren't planning on sending the rain on to me! We had a good rain Wednesday so I don't need to have pollen washed off the car or anywhere else. I think that was the best part of going to the laundromat when I had to - getting everything in one dryer and being able to sit and read while they were drying.

I need to go and get packed for the weekend. Hope yours is great!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. We had more thunder and lightening last night but it looks like it has moved on early this morning. I had a lovely brunch of sausage biscuit, boiled egg, and a wonderful juicy sweet naval orange. For dinner I will be making oven baked Panko-ed boneless pork chops, some of my rice mixture, green beans and a nice salad. That's the plan.

DONNA FAYE I am sure you can tweek it to fit your afternoon hunger. I do so hope that sap got washed off by the rain. What a mess and chore if you had to get out there and scrup it off.

SUSAN We will miss you but glad to know you will be having fun instead of being under the weather being sick. on your weight loss. You will get to goal in no time with your sticking to program and walking ~ wow you can do 2 miles. That is terrific.

Well Magnolias I need to get some "stuff" done. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 04-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It has rained all day and continues tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. Beth has postponed Kolby's party in the park but we are still going over. I need to renew our SAMs membership and wanted to wish Beth a HB on her day as well as give Kolby his gifts. We'll go back for the party whenever it is. We went up to the lake today. It was terribly windy so spent the time inside putting up new curtain rods. I didn't realize how much time that would take; Bob kept saying he was glad I came along because I was the "gofer" while he stood on the ladder. I will have to shorten 4 panels but should be able to do that easy enough. On the way home we stopped at Menards to buy a new shower surround for the cabin. We will go back up to clean sometime in May when it is warmer and the weather is nice. If it hadn't rained we should have mowed today, but maybe some afternoon next week.

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread today. Having all of you laundry done at once is a big plus on going to the laundromat. I've stayed up too late watching TV, and then have a hard time getting up the next morning.

Susan -- on losing another 1.8#!!!!! The iron monster was good to me yesterday and showed a loss of .2 when I was so sure I had gained at least 1 or 2. I just had that "feeling." It sounds like you have a fun weekend planned!

Maggie -- I hope your beautiful weather shows up here soon! The wind has been from the east today and the waves look so dirty rolling in. I hate the wind almost more than a full day of rain.

I'm going to bed! I hope you all have a nice weekend and the sun comes out for all of us!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #5  

Good morning all! We had a huge deluge late last night. It moved in much later than they expected and we are supposed to get another round of hard rain today so I want to get out and get to the laundromat. I wasn't feeling well and Jack wasn't either so we opted to just stay home and take it all this morning and get it done so I hope we can avoid the storms. It will be crowded as it is Saturday, but what can you do? There are several apartment complexes close by so I imagine they all use this particular laundromat.

Jean: I can't believe it is almost lake time again. You seem to still have some chilly weather ahead of you before you start the weekend treks though. I too am the "gofer" when Jack is on the ladder. I need to take down curtains in the condo and wash and put them back up. Thanks for reminding me! lol

Susan: Congrats on your losses! You are almost back to where you want to be! Hope you have a good time on you little quilting weekend.

Maggie: It must be pork day! We had a ham slice that I cooked last night. I am amazed at the lower points ham has actually. We like to put our chops out on the grill. I love the smell of pork on the grill! lol

I guess I ought to get to writing the correspondence to a bill I received on my appt with the OB doctor. They didn't get a referral for me so of course Tricare won't pay the bill so they passed it on to me. I don't think I should have to pay it as they made the appt and my doctor knows I am a tricare patient and should have known I needed a referral. I didn't think I did because you don't have to have one to have a pap smear done by an ob/gyn or pregnancy stuff so I am going to send them a letter. On top of that is billing for two doctors I have never even seen! I don't even know who they are so I have to nip that in the bud. Anyway, I better get to it so I can mail it while we are out this morning.

Have a great weekend all and keep the handy! Faye
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another beautiful day here in the Heartland. They are almost finished with the roof next door. I can't wait. When they finish they will do the yard. That's part of the deal because their heavy equipment has put deep ruts in the church lawn and ours also. There were 8 men on that roof yesterday. It has such a high steep peek that I admire them for being able to do that job. Guess that is why they make the good bucks. I believe we will be having tacos from one of the local places that does delivery here in town for lunch. It is their anniversay, 40th I do believe, and they are selling their tacos for pennies a piece. They make good ones with lots and lots of veggies which I like and they are low in points. Will is going to grill burgers for dinner which will be just fine with me. i could really eat grilled burgers every day ~ home kind that is.

DONNA FAYE Pork is the new chicken since they have made it more lean by feeding those little porkers better. You are absolutely correct, they are best done on the barbie. Yum. Couldn't you just feel like ringing someones neck sometimes when they mess up the paperwork. I remember once when Will was taken to emergency when he fell off the roof when he was up there shoveling snow, we got the bill because they said they wouldn't pay it because it was an auto accident and we needed to put it though our auto insurance. When we go into emergency our bill is zip, nada. So I called our "man" and he looked into it and said that the hospital had put the wrong code in and so it would be taken care of. I asked for the code so I could call them and he laughed and told me he wanted to make the call to straighten them out. Will didn't even hit the truck parked in the driveway on his way down from that roof so It wasn't even involved. Now if he had hit the truck on his way down I guess you could call it an auto accident. I hope you get your mess straighened out easily.

JEAN Good that you are going to go ahead and deliver your gifts. Poor Beth having to postpone the party but it will alll work out. Are you putting up floor length drapes in the cottage? Somehow I had it in my mind you were putting up more like cafe curtains. Yep we wives sure make good step and fetch it's but I would rather that then have him up and down that ladder.

SUSAN Be safe and have fun.

Well Magnolias you all have a wonderful weekend. I'll type at y'all later :wave

Last edited by Maggie; 04-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold, windy, and spitting raindrops every once in awhile. We went to early church as Bob was filling in for an usher who was going to be gone. We did end up having Kolby's party in the park yesterday. The sun was shining even though we were supposed to have a rainy day. It's a huge park with walking trails and a fenced dog park. Watching the dogs play was almost like watching the kids! After the party we made a trip to SAMs Club mainly to renew our membership since I couldn't get it done online. We stopped at Menards and found a light fixture we hope will work in the cabin. Beth's mil gave her coffee cups and a holder to go with the maker we gave her. I had a cup and it was so good! It was a long day by the time we got home.

"Gma" -- It feels more like a fall day today than a spring day here. The wind goes right through! Good luck with getting your medical paperwork straightened out. I think the wrong coding is often the problem. I called one time about a charge that I never had done, and the insurance rep said to forget it because they had already paid the bill! No wonder our premiums are so high!

Maggie -- Send your beautiful weather our way please! I'm really tired of this "up and down" weather; a constant temperature range would be nice! I was glad we had the party too. Since Beth, Will, and Amanda all work weekend hours it's hard to get everyone together at one time. Zowie's birthday is next, May 20th, but we will celebrate it early on Mother's Day. The curtains in the main part of the cabin are just panels with loops that slide over the rods. The windows are shorter so I need to shorten them. There were drapes there so had to change the rods. The little bedroom will get a valance and cafe type curtain. The large bedroom has a sliding glass door so had to get floor length for in there. I shouldn't have to do anything to those, I hope.

My washer and dryer should each be ready for the next load so I'd better get a move on. After being gone for a couple of days I was hoping the pixies might vacuum and dust. No such luck. *sigh* Have a nice rest of the day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another windy, rainy, crappy day in my corner of the world. I need to make a grocery list, but may put off going until this afternoon in hopes the rain will let up. I have lots on my "to do" list and need to start with vacuuming since I didn't do it yesterday. I want to shorten 4 curtain panels for the cabin; Bob is hoping the rain will quit so he can go up and mow late some afternoon this week.

I'm dressed so am off to attack the dust/fur bunnies. Hope you all have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #9  

Good morning gals! I couldn't get in here yesterday morning at all. When I got to our thread, I would get a database error. I then never got back in here later in the day.

One of my close friend's father had a stroke the end of last week which affected his right side and speech. The speech is coming back little by little by his right side isn't working properly so I imagine he will be going to this rehab center in Mishawaka for a few weeks. He and his wife are such sweet Christian people and always welcomed us into their home like we were family. I know it has to be hard for Becky and for her sister Sharon because neither of them have husbands they can lean on.

Maggie: I just have to hope that no lightbulbs burn out or no catastrophic stuff happens for the next couple weeks as we will be sitting in the dark or with something broken because it isn't likely I could do it. Well, if I had to I might, but since I fell off the ladder several years ago and tore up my right knee I don't get on the ladder if I can possibly avoid it. I just want them to fix him up. He was in agony yesterday and he is back under the "no anti-inflammatory meds" umbrella now because of his surgery tomorrow. Well, they haven't called this morning yet, but it better be tomorrow.

Jean: We had that big storm blow through over the weekend then Sunday it was supposed to be sunny clear through the rest of the week. We had a huge downpour yesterday out of the blue and it is still dark and cloudy here. It can go away now as it washed all the sap off everything. I want SUN!

I am working around getting things ready for tomorrow. I want everything ready and downstairs to put him on the couch when we get back home. He can't be on the recliner because of where the kickstand hits him, right on the area of the knee. Besides, he doesn't like our recliner so it is the couch for him as that is all I have left! I told him I think he should stay doped up tomorrow all day then on Wednesday be more clear headed since he starts therapy that day. They are sending him home in what the orthopedist called a cold wrap, which is great as it keeps down the swelling right away.

I better kick it in gear. I still have a lot of housework I want to get done. Have a good start to your week. Faye
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Moody Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Not raining this day but the wind is fierce. Will had to go out and retie the willow tree to its supporting stakes because the wind broke them. We so want to have Willow survive. His trunk needs to get more girth to support his height. Otherwise he looks good. I've got Will putting up a shelf to display some of my glass village in the front room. Our new bed comes on Friday and we don't yet have the window treatments done in there like we want nor do we have the head and foot boards ~ we are doing iron. OH well it will all come together. Life is good. One of my frineds asked for my rice mixture recipe and I got it all run off for her this morning. I love that rice mixture.

JEANNo rain here this day but the wind is enough to turn your head around. I am staying insind and will do my walking program right in this cozy house.

DONNA FAYE Strokes can sure make things difficult. I remember when my grandfather had one he was still going out and using his yard tractor. He was not one to let it get him down. He was some trouper. I certainly don't blame you for staying off ladders. That fall must have been painful. I am praying that Jack gets his long awaited needed OP.

SUSAN Are you back yet from your jaunt?

Have a constructive day Magnolias. I am off to do some dinner planning. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-26-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #11  

Good evening, ladies. It was a lovely day today in the low 80s. Supposed to be 20 degrees colder tomorrow.

I had a wonderful weekend. We made good progress on our new quilts. I'm not going to work on it again until I get my house the way I want it. I went today and bought a new computer desk that is more compact than the desk I was using. Now I have to get blinds, valances and curtains up downstairs and rearrange the furniture. Yes, Maggie, life is good.

I had bible study tonight. Next week is the last session. We'll be studying Acts beginning in September. Tomorrow is work.

Faye, I'll say a prayer for Jack to have a successful study and quick recovery tomorrow. Nothing gets done around here unless I can do it or have money to hire it done. I've learned to do a lot using books from the library. I'm pretty good with minor stuff. I don't like getting on ladders, either but I have to to get the window treatments up.

Jean, I hope your rain goes north and not east. We've had enough for awhile.

Maggie, it'll be nice to have a shelf to display your village. I have quilts all over the house.

Well, I'm tired so it must be bedtime.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies! Just a quick peek in as I have to get upstairs and shower and get things ready to go to the surgical center.

As Jack was walking to the house last night from parking his car, our neighbor across the street stopped him and told him that our neighbor two doors down had a massive heart attack and died on Saturday night. He looked to be only between 45-55 years old! I don't really know anything about him much. He hasn't lived in the condo but under a year or so I think. I didn't even know he was married as I have never seen wife, kids or anything at his house.

Susan: Glad you had a grand weekend. I just hope this fixes Jack's knee and with rehab he is better. I know he was in a huge amount of pain last night from it and had a roaring headache that made him sick. He of course couldn't take anything for it and wouldn't take a lortab to help because he didn't want it to knock him out. I got a bit perturbed with him about it because he won't take Tylenol because he says it doesn't work for him. Anyway, we are ready to get this taken care of.

Maggie: I think your wind was in Chicago last night as the ballgame was really windy there. Hope your willow tree survived it.

I need to run. You ladies have a grand day and I will let you know how things come out with Jack after we get back home and things get settled. Faye
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining on this chilly 38 degree morning! Now that the dust is visible in the sunlight I will "undust," first thing. I need to pick up meds and stop at the Hallmark store for a couple of cards. Bob's mom died a year ago today and yesterday we received a "thinking of you" card from the funeral home.

"Gma" -- I am thinking of you and Jack this morning; I hope that the surgery has no surprises and Jack will be on the mend soon. Strokes are scary; I hope that your friend's father recovers. I remember seeing people move into the condos, and we would never see them again after the moving trucks left. We'd see their cars but never the people. One would wonder if your neighbor had any medical issues to cause the heart attack; he was much too young.

Maggie -- I hope your willow tree survives the wind. I think they are so pretty and graceful. We had wind and rain all day yesterday so the sunshine is more than welcome today. There is a slight breeze but since we live in "windmill alley" that is not a big surprise.

Susan -- I'm glad you had a fun weekend! I admire you for your focus on getting your house in order before you work on your quilt anymore. I need to find my "focus!" We've had enough rain that the farmers are hoping for a few dry days so they can get back to planting. They had an early start so will be ok unless we have an unusual amount of rainy days.

I need to check my birthday list for church and get a couple of cards ready to send this week. I've had two people call and thank me which was nice. I also need to start filling a box for the church rummage sale on Friday. Everything sells for a quarter so there is usually nothing much left to get rid of on the last day.

I hope you all have a super duper terrific Tuesday AND that the sun is shining on you today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #14  

Quick note. Jack is home, had a bite to eat and is resting. They sent him home with this neat wrap on his leg. It contains cooling rings and it attaches to a hose that attaches to a mini ice chest so it keeps swelling down and pain to more of a minimum. They gave him 2 lortab before leaving the surgical center so he is almost asleep. I am going to get a few things done around the house while he is sleeping.

Talk to you all tomorrow! Faye
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #15  

I'm glad the surgery is over and you both are home again! I hope Jack doesn't have a lot of pain as the day goes along. The ice 'thing' sounds like a great invention!