Old 05-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #16  

Good morning ladies. I am sitting here working up a two week menu and making a grocery list to go to the commissary. Yesterday was military payday, but there aren't that many military that are at the base anymore like it was when Jack went to A, B school and taught there. They even tore down a lot of the base housing so it is really the ss crowd we have to deal with for the most part.

Today is Arm Forces Day so to all those who served past and present including my sweety, I salute you!!! (close as I could come to a salute smilie) I just hope because of it the base isn't crazy today with celebration stuff.

Susan: Thanks for the list. I printed it out and I am going to highlight my loss everytime it fits into a category. It was neat. Jack's pain is lower back muscle so they are going to send him to rehab. I think massage therapy would do more good, personally. The new meds are helping some and I think he will come around it will just take time.

Jean: Oooh Jean, keep a close eye on Bob. You know that swine flu stuff is respiratory not intestinal. Make him go by nagging him to death if you have to. I will pray for the situation with the girl. You never want a child to fall through the cracks, but on the other hand, there is only so much you can do. She might cause al kinds of trouble in your home if she lived there. Just keep encouraging her and you might, if nothing else, let her call you or come over and visit time to time to talk.

Nothing much going on in our part of the world. I am hoping it will be sunny again today. It is already quite warm and humid everyday so I know summer is on its way which means....POOOOOLLLLLLL! I haven't gotten to pool swim for the last two years because of the operations so I am looking forward to this year.

Everyone have a superb day and I will talk to you tomorrow.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #17  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a bright sunny day in my neighborhood, but only 40 degrees. Frost is predicted for tonight, so we will be out covering flowers later. I have the washer and dryer going and am going to finish up the last 12 thank yous before 3 pm when the mail leaves town on Saturdays. I'll be glad to get my counter cleaned off and the memorial money out of here!

"Gma" -- Thanks for the reminder about Armed Forces Day. Our flag holder is too high for me so will have Bob put it out when he returns home. Bob says he is feeling better but he doesn't sound any better. He coughed off and on for 2 hours last night while watching TV. I finally came upstairs because I got tired of listening to him. He finally took some cough syrup which he doesn't like to do. Men! I know you are anxious for the pool to open. At this rate we won't have "warm" water until July!

I need to vacuum the fur and dust bunnies too. The sunshine really makes the dust show up on everything.

Hope you all have a nice day! Do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 05-17-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Armed Forces Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

YES ~ let us honor those brave men and women that work and worked hard to keep us safe and free. They gave of themelves something precious.

I am resting right now from cooking the meat for the Cowboy Beans and getting a loaf of sourdough started on the dough setting in my little bread machine. I had two large cast iron skillets going at once and Ragg Mopp at my feet. He wouldn't even be coaxed to go "bye bye" with Will when he had to make a run to the store. RM Just loves to go with. But he smelled the meat cooking and was waiting for some to drop ~lol which none did. I had a pound of bacon which was cut up in inch pieces along with a chopped onion cooking in one pan and Italian sasage in another. I buy the links and then take off the skin then cut them up to make 1 inch little balls. When the bacon was done I wiped out that skillet and cooked a pound of very lean burger. Now I have them in bowls in the fridge which I can then place in the microwaive to heat before adding to the crockpot of beans in the morning. I'll mix up the sauce when I get off here. Now doesn't that all sound like fun to y'all.

Everyone have a lovely evening and Lord's Day on the morrow.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #19  

Good morning gals. Getting ready to get my Cheerios for breakfast but thought I would post first. I saw an adorable article on AOL this morning. I tried to link it but it wouldn't link. If you get a chance take a look at it. It is an article about a young soldier in Afghanistan who was called out to fight insurgents and there is a picture of him and two others in battle regalia and guns and he is in flip flops and pink boxer shorts that say, "I Love New York." The only thing bad about it is I guess the New York Times, which published the picture and article got on their high horse about how shameful it was and an embarrassment to this country and such. I couldn't pull up the original NYT article to see what it said exactly. If it was such an embarrassment why did they put him on the front page?

Jean: It has been warm and muggy here. You sure have had a lot of chilly weather. I am hoping we have some really hot weather to get our pool warmed up as it is always cold in May through June pretty much. If we have had a lot of hot weather then it is pretty warm. We had one year it was actually too warm more like bath water.

Maggie: Hope you have a wonderful Lord's Day and your dish is eaten all up. Fortune does that with me too. He is underfoot just in case. He knows that if Jack is cooking there is sure to be stuff dropped on the floor! lol He is hilarious when we have a snack that is any kind of bag. If we have some ff chips for example, he hears the crinkle of that bag in the kitchen and gets off his pillow and sits and waits for us to give him one! lol We usually dole out one chip to him as I am not sure about the Olestra on pets, but if I am having pretzels, he usually pleads me into a couple at least. Wonder if that means I can cut my points.......

We went to the commissary yesterday and wow since they have remodeled and it is complete it is wonderful. They took out all the floor sitting horizontol freezers and put everything in new vertical ones, which really opens up the aisles for more room. Now I just have to get used to the new arrangements so I can put my shopping list together accordingly. It will take me a couple more months I imagine.

Thomas had his Cub Scout Crossover yesterday and he is now officially a Webelo. He is growing up so fast. He will be 9 a month in about 5 weeks and little Jackson will be 2 in about 3 weeks. His dad is Packmaster and his mom is in British Columbia so it was kind of funny having Tom do double duty presenting his son and being the father too.

Not much else exciting here. Looks like I have just a teeny gain from last week, but it was so huge I am not stressed about it. Jack has lost about 5 lbs and already showing some space around his pants etc. We just continue on. Today is pot roast and carrots day.

Have a good one all.
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webelos.jpg (32.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #20  

Good morning, ladies - Torrential rain storm going on now. I hope it stops because I need to get some prescriptions today so I have my meds for the morning.

Cleaned out the fridge yesterday, cut up pineapple, cantaloupe and watermelon for this week, made salad greens so I have a start on the upcoming week. Finished my laundry, too.

I'm really getting to hate Prednisone, no matter if it helps my breathing or not. I hate having a round face and the weight gain. I'm up an huge 8 pounds this week and I've stayed OP all week. Oh, well, 12 more days and this round will be over. I'm hoping the doctor puts me on a water pill when I see her next month. My lower legs and feet are constantly swollen.

I'm going to drop WW for awhile, until my health problems get straightened out. It's a waste of money right now but I will continue to stay OP. I figure one day they'll get me diagnosed and the right medicine and I'll have a big drop when the water is gone. In the meantime, it is discouraging.

I'm thinking about taking some beginner yoga classes through our Parks and Recreation this summer. It's only $20 for 7 weeks, July through August. I think it is gentle enough not to make me too short of breath.

Jean, I don't think it's a good idea to take that girl into your home. Give her guidance and try to get her into an alcohol abuse program. I hope Bob is doing better. That cough could be bronchitis and now they don't give antibiotics for it anymore since they aren't effective for it.

Maggie, I can smell your cowboy beans cooking! I'll be over to have some. Did the lady like her house?

Faye, it seems like Thomas was just starting kindergarden a few months ago and now he's moved up to Webelo in the scouts. Where does the time go? How's Jack's back? PT will be good for him.

That's it for today - have a good one.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #21  

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED. PLEASE JOIN US AT #26