Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

The evil demon scale almost got me last night. I even put my toe on it to start it up, but I didn't get on. I looked at those zeros and thought .... is it really worth knowing how much I weigh? Isn't it better to know I feel good today? I walked away - thank goodness!

My Challenges

Exercise Daily (2 pauses) - Day 4
Eradicate 1 bag of needless junk/clutter from my home daily (1 pause) - Day 4
DO NOT get on the Scale (1 pause) - Day 3
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #92  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hey all Sorry I've been missing a couple of days. My sweetie had surgery today (planned) and life has been a bit hectic. Looks like this will be the last one though and life should settle down again. I have reached the age where I really appreciate boring

So yesterday was not my best day sadly.
Challenge 1 - Stretches/weights - I planned to do those after dinner but my stomach was exceptionally cranky so I ended up curled up in a ball in bed. Guess that's pause 1, so 4 days, 1 pause and plan to make sure it happens tonight!
Challenge 2 - no chocolate - okay, this one makes me really annoyed with myself. I was in the break room getting coffee and there was an open bar of 73% dark chocolate. I've been following South Beach so I am allowed small amounts of really dark chocolate now and then. Without thinking it through I popped a square in my mouth, started to chew, and then remembered this challenge I can't believe I used my 1 pause on a mindless piece of chocolate. It was good but I put that one pause in there with the holidays in mind. Darn! 5 days, 1 pause and on track to make today day 7.
Challenge 3 - the veggies - Glad I have this one in there because once I think about it I almost always get it right. I've already made day 6 without dinner. Yeah, I eat a lot of veggies and fruits.

Red - love the animal pics How did the meeting go?

Schmalger - That's what I love most about this site - there are so many inspirations. When I first joined I would spend hours looking at the goal stories and pics and hoping that would be me some day (and I did get to add mine! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149837 and http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152988). I really built my exercise time by watching and engaging in friendly monthly competition with others, including moms with several children. What excuse did I have for being a slug?! Now here in this forum I think we all inspire each other with our successes. I'd never have gotten this far without this place, so thanks for the inspiration Let us know what you think of the 30 Day SHred. I keep hearing about it and might just have to check it out. Gotta find something interesting to get me through the looooong Vermont winter!

texscrapper - Way to move through the challenges! I'm getting inspired to add a non-diet challenge next time around. Clutter is such a major factor in our lives and I spend too much time with it in the winter! on resisting the siren song of the scale

Techalum - Way to go for 8 days! Do you use an online journal or actually write everything somewhere?

Modcat - pausing just one day with the stress you're dealing with is pretty darned impressive! You know I'm here cheering you on and I'll be here to give you a friendly kick if you need that too

Miriam - NY is fun this time of year. Hope you're having a great time and enjoying your time away.

Okay, off to get some dinner and then squeeze in exercise. It's a bit challenging in a 4 room apartment with a recuperating partner who will go to bed early, but I've got enough options to exercise somehow!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #93  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Exclamation watch out, mudslinger on the prowl!

Well, it's going to be a wash on working out today. I don't feel up to it. Of course, that's only because I just got up after a late night (not the bars, just a late shift).
As you can see, I have completed a full 30 days of no drinking and no smoking. It's times like this, however, that are actually the most dangerous. A simple 30 doesn't sound like much and yet it feels like a lifetime ago that I was hanging out in bars till dawn. So, I'm in mortal danger of throwing in the towel before any really noticeable changes appear. I get so sick of the vigilance.
Stop it, stop it, stop it! Just put a sock in it and carry on! This is what I gotta tell myself!
Yesterday, I really wanted sugar for some reason. I have these...you know... things ... in my drawer at work and they were calling to me, sirens on the rocks, wow, did they ever call with their seductive sweet voices. But, I resisted. Went out and got the fixings for a salad and added that to my brown rice brought from home. That silenced them!

You know, that said, I just tried on some jeans and they are fitting better. It's given me some encouragement and I may take my gym stuff to work anyhow...

No Booze
Day 9/30 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5) First round completed Nov. 25
No Smoking (Started Nov. 5)
Day 9/30 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5) First round completed Nov. 25
No Sugar
Day 7/28 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7) First round completed Nov. 27
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 3/23 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11) First round completed Dec. 1

tex -- Excellent save on that scale monster. It almost got you, eh? Had a toehold on you and you managed to pull away. Awesome! Why don't you put it in a box, tie it up and bury it in the far reaches of a closet. Why have it sitting out where it can tempt you. You DON'T need the pause!

miriam -- I'm glad to hear from you! Glad to hear you're having fun. It's about time you gave yourself some good times. Nice to know you're thinking of us and don't worry about any challenges. Just have more good times for us!! Look forward to the "formal communications" resuming.

schmalger -- Thanks for the compliments on my cats. I think they're special. Loved your descriptions of yours. Very revealing. Your cats seem to have much more personality than mine. Mine are affectionate and want to be around but all get along and sleep together to keep warm when I'm gone. Two of them are sure to greet me when I come home and they are very communicative about what they want, Shachi especially!
Speaking of revealing, just who do you fear is going to "discover" you?! And why would it matter?
Well, what can I say about your challenge. You just keep it coming, don't you? Not sure what "steamed dookie" is but I can imagine and probably shouldn't inquire further. Yes, don't be disappointed by any means! Make that exercise a habit and you're going to be melting off those energy stores! At the gym, I'm finding I am getting into a groove with running a little bit and am actually enjoying it a bit, just a bit, but still....it's a slog. I am sick of the counting, the checking the number, but I am determined to keep it going. I've been adding in the bike too just to keep going, though I think the running does more. Oh, I don't listen to Hendrix when I run. Then it's AC/DC, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Deep Purple, Prodigy, all sorts of things but they've got to be fast, pounding stuff.
Met the guy yesterday, by the way, but I don't think it went too well. He turned out to not be just a headhunter but to actually be the new owner of a publication looking for someone. I talk WAY too much and he wasn't saying much. Which was weird. I think he's very inexperienced. Not a good thing, necessarily, though it could be, if he wants an old hand, which I am. Oh well. At least it was something.
Well, gotta run! Keep up that good work!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-04-2008 at 07:12 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #94  
Never give up

Smile back again!

Cyndi -- You posted while I was writing. Hi there! I hope things go/went well with the surgery. Hmmm, are things OK?
Not nice with the chocolate. Well, you could always start anew....with the holidays. Still, you can just save the holiday things till later. I hate that when I forget a challenge. You couldn't help the stretching if you felt so bad but you made the veggies! Good for you! Yes, I saw your before and afters. Amazing! Meeting notes above in the talk to schmalger...I hope it pans out. I really don't know much what's going on. It was a weird meeting, weird guy, weird meeting. I think he's just an investor without a clue about the work...again, this could be a good thing if he gives people free reign.
Well, really gotta go! Later!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 285/278.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Daily Exercise Day 12
Level 3
Exercise? Check!
Stats? Jillian’s 30 Day Shred, Level 1
Mood? Hmm. I don’t know. This was my first time to do the 30 Day Shred. I did have to modify some things – mainly the pushups. At first, I was like, eh, I’d get a better workout on the elliptical. But by mid-way through the video, my muscles were screaming. And I do feel it more all over my body than I do when I work on the elliptical. I’m happy that I got through the whole thing; I’ve heard a lot of people say they only make it through 10 minutes. So on that front, I’m very pleased.

I’m going to keep doing it, and I really think that it will be an awesome workout once I build myself up and keep at it. It was also a nice break on my legs, to tell you the truth. Though the squats hurt, it was not as painful as 30 minutes on the elliptical. Ideally, I’d like to see myself doing the elliptical in the mornings and the video in the evenings, or vice versa. But I don’t know if I’m there yet, especially time wise. But I’ll let you know if I feel that daring any time soon.

Miriam101 – I’m so glad to hear that you’re having a great time in New York, despite the frigid temperatures. I hope you’re able to relax soon; that’s some jetlag you’re dealing with considering where you live. Whew! Difficulties with recording makes sense; you’re on vacation after all. But it’s really great to hear that you’re staying POSITIVE! It’s great to hear from you even though you’re half a world away from home. Have fun!!

Texscrapper – Great job on resisting the evil demon scale! So far, I’ve only weighed once since my weigh-in on Monday – instead of my former once or twice a day. That’s so funny about turning it on with your toe and walking away anyway. WTG! Great job on all of your challenges; you’re getting there!

CyndiM – I hope your sweetie’s surgery went well, and I’m glad to hear it was a planned thing rather than an emergency. I hope the recovery goes well and things get back to normal soon. And hey. I hear you on boring; DH and I have got to be 2 of the most boring people on the planet. And that’s just the way I like it. So many people my age (28) are STILL partying and getting into trouble, and we’re just so not into that at all. Home is my refuge, and I love nothing more than curling up with a good book/movie, petting a cat, chatting with DH, and just hanging out. That is fun and exciting for me. (Of course, I’d love to travel more one day, but that’s another thing entirely.) Good job on the challenges. I know you’ve had to take some pauses today, but you’ve recognized the problem (with the chocolate), and you’ll be armed to fight it off next time! At least it was a pause and not a start-over! But next time, you'd better remember the challenge! Now drop and give me 20! And you certainly couldn’t help it on the exercise today. I really hope you get to feeling better! Take care of yourself! And WOW! Look at you, woman! You look fantastic; congratulations on your remarkable success! Thank you so much for sharing that link; it’s definitely being added to my inspiration links on my blog. You rock! I’m going to read your story post in depth when I get through with this. On another note, I’ll be sure to update more on the 30 Day Shred as I do it more. I’ll tell you what though. In 20 minutes, Jillian has got me sooo sore. It’s amazing how sore I can be after such a short workout. I think it’s a great idea to check it out if you can; I bought mine for just $10. And I’m really hoping that I’ll have the results that so many others have had. Vermont winter! I’ll bet it is long, and I know we can all get tired of our own homes and environments. But I’ve always ALWAYS longed to visit or even stay in Vermont for a while – which will be complicated now considering I married a man who HATES the cold like the plague. Growing up, I always swore I'd move somewhere with real seasons - beatiful falls and snow in the winter. And I married a man who'd move to the desert in a heartbeat if I'd agree to it. What are the odds? Enjoy the scenery for me!

Redballoon – GREAT job on resisting the evil drawer-dwellers that shall not be named , those deceptively sweet creations that whisper evil thoughts into our ears – only to turn on us and curse and berate us for days after giving in. And to top it all off, they give us headaches and make the scale go in the wrong direction. WTG! You’ve been doing so well on exercising that one day break is not going to kill you. I hope you’re able to relax some today. Look at those challenges. You’ve earned a break, and like you said, you beat the demon drawer-dwellers, not to mention the smoking and drinking. You have so much to be proud of. But you'd better get back to exercising tomorrow! Thanks for your kind comments on my cats – they really are like our kids in a way. I’m sure you understand! Hmmm. Who am I worried would find me, and why do I care? That’s actually a very interesting question. My user name on here is something that only my family would understand – I think I may have told someone on here about it before, I can’t remember. It’s about a prank that was played on my mom. So I get worried that one of them will somehow stumble upon it and KNOW that it’s got to be me – I’m the only one other than my sister with this much weight to lose, and right now she’s too busy being feeling sorry for herself to do anything about it (I’m not bashing her – I stayed in that funk for far too long myself). But why would I care? The main thing is that I’d hate for them to see/read all of the struggles and details of everything I’m going through. Most of us aren’t very close, and this is sort of an intimate thing for me, you know? At the same time, I don’t know how they’d find me. After all, say someone like my mother or sister was to find it. Well that would be good news in the sense that they were getting serious about their own health. And that would be totally worth it. I just get too dang paranoid, and I just need to let it go. YES. AC/DC. I’ve got a TON of that on the ipod – great ones for me to work out to are “TNT” and “Whole Lotta Rosie.” Those are funny and upbeat. Love it. I’m sorry to hear that the headhunter meeting wasn’t quite what you’d expected. I understand what you mean about being wary of a new startup. You never know what could happen in the long run. You never know, though. His new publication could sky-rocket, and you just may have knocked his socks off. Keep us posted!
schmalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #96  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoon View Post
Sunni -- That's cool that you have a spreadsheet. I can't understand Excel at all. Wish I could do the same. Heh, if you wouldn't mind sending me a template of that sheet, I'd love to see it. PM me if you can, please. Good going on you challenge. You're over halfway there. Good to hear you're psyched about exercise! Every time I get into workouts and start losing weight my skin gets really bad and it's so frustrating. I don't know the cause. Doctors are useless. I'm just hoping it won't get too bad this time. The dry, itching skin is horrible. I'm wondering if it's something about toxins coming out of the fat cells...
Hey red - sorry haven't responded in a few days. Work's been crazy. It should be slowing down this time of year but it's not, just my luck. My excel spreadsheet is broken down into the date, my weight, and the change in weight. I also have color coding for the days I exercise, overeat, when my period begins and when it ends. I can send it to you no problem. BTW, your cats are adorable! I love cats, especially when they look all scrunched up like your first cat pic (Momo). Awwwww.

modcat - way to go with the exercise! I love that feeling of finishing another day on plan. Hehe.

Schmalger - I am OBSESSED with excel and documenting minutae about myself. Haha. My fiance thinks I'm insane. Whatever, I like my numbers.

Cyndi - Hope the surgery went well. Good to know that this is the last one!

So, I finished day 14 yesterday - that's 2/3 of the way! I measured myself as suggested and I haven't changed in inches. At the beginning of the week, I weighed the highest (170.5). I have dropped to 168.4. Have to see how much I weigh today. However, I do feel lighter so I hope it's reflected on the scale.

My exercise class kicked my butt. My lower half was quivering and not in a good way. I was just dying after that class but I was happy that I went and suffered. Haha.

On to day 15. Good luck chickies!!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #97  
Never give up

Sunni -- Check these out! Scrunched cats galore!!!

http://www.zuzafun.com/cats-sleeping-positions
Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #98  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi All,
So much going on here - wow - seems like everyone has graduated to such long posts

Cyndi - wowzers on your befores and afters! Very inspiring!

Seems like you all are doing a great job at resisting temptations - be it a scale, or some sweet calorie ridden junk, or avoiding exercise,etc! It's great to feel part of a group!

Well I for one have certainly been doing well on exercise - welcome to NY! LOL I spent about 35 minutes walking all over the subway station at Times Square trying to figure out where I get one of the trains, and it was not easy! I also found that many, many New Yorkers are not going to gve you the time of day. I kept trying to stop someone and ask for help, but maybe they thought II was panahndling!! LOL The guy at the info desk gave me the WRONG directions!! GRR! ANyway - eventually - I got to the right place - but sure burned a heck of a lor of calories in the process!
I'm feeling like such a big girl, too, for riding the subways and figuring how to get from point A to point B all by myself. Yes, ladies - this IS a first.
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #99  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default I can't keep up!

Hi all,

I just wanted to stop in and let you know why I haven't been around. I just can't keep up with the thread. It's too popular and busy! You folks are great. I'll lurk and probably drop in just often enough to annoy you.

But I hate it when people disappear without a word. So I wanted to pop in to say

I'm carrying my challenge over to one of the other two threads I post on.
Keep fighting the good fight!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #100  
Never give up

Just a quickie here. Will write later. A LONG month now behind me and nearly halfway on my second-round challenges! Cool or what?!
No Booze
Day 10/31 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5) First round completed Nov. 25
Day 10/31 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5) First round completed Nov. 25
No Sugar
Day 8/29 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7) First round completed Nov. 27
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 4/24 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11) First round completed Dec. 1
Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #101  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi ladies!
I have been physically out of sorts all week. Upset tummy, can't sleep and tired, tired, tired. If this keeps up, I am going to the doctor. I will rest this weekend and see if I feel better. I think perhaps that I picked up a little gastrointestinal something from the spring water at the Oregon place. I sometimes come back feeling funky. It might be time to invest in an ultra-violet filtration system. Or, maybe my diet is limiting a nutrient and it is stressing my body. Whatever it may be, if it continues it is time for the doctor. So, I have been coming home, eating dinner and going to bed. I even rewrote my plan book so that I had super easy, non-stressful things to teach all week. Still, I am tired.

So, I have been journaling my food and sticking pretty closely to Adtkins, but no exercise all week. My thighs are turning to pudding! Tomorrow, after a long sleep in I will get back on the old exercise bike or go for a nice long walk.

I did manage to lose two of the three pounds I had gained and that feels good. I attribute it to the added water and being careful about salt.

Red-Loved the picture of your horse! Thanks! I looked up Haflinger horses. Nice, very nice. My grandfather was a horse breeder and dealer (small time) so I grew up around horses and can appreciate their beauty and temperament. He also used to rescue and break range horses off the range in Oregon. Those were some wild ponies! Pretty though in a primal way! The wildest ride I ever had (when I was about thirteen) was jumping bareback onto one of those ponies and grabbing a handful of mane. To say that I am lucky to be alive is an understatement! My grandfather threatened to tan my hide if I ever did that again. Of course, my aunt, who put me up to it, was rolling with mirth.

Congratulations of the 30 days milestone! That is a long stretch! And for making it to the gym even though you did not feel like going! Is it a long trek for you to get there? There is a gym in the next town over from here, which is about a 30 minute drive, but from work it is an hour. I wish there was a gym closer. The sauna and pool bring me in and keep me going when I belong to a gym. But, it has been a very long time since I have lived close to one. And, is your gym one frequented mostly by Americans in Japan or is it a local Japanese gym? I am asking because I always feel like such a giant when I am around other and generally smaller nationals. Last summer I waited in line at the bathroom with a bunch of French women off a tour bus. They were so svelte and petite; I felt big and lumpish next to them. They were looking at me askance, too! Snobby French women!
I am having some trouble with my computer and will come back tomorrow when I figure it out.
Will visit with all more tomorrow!
Sheri

Last edited by Quixotica; 12-05-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 285/278.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Okay, we all knew this day was coming. I simply have to take a pause for today's exercise. This will be my first pause, and I'm on a Level 3 for the challenge. I really didn't think that Jillian kicked my butt as hard as she did, but boy howdy. My entire body screams out at me with every little move. But I was going to go ahead and do some light work on the elliptical, but my head has been pounding nonstop all day. It's a real doozie this time. I think I waited waaaaaay too long to eat supper tonight, and that made my headache just spiral out of control. I really know better than that; I just got so busy that frankly I forgot until it was too late to eat soon enough to stop it from getting worse. I'm fine with taking a pause, but this puts me in a bit of a pickle. I'm going out of town first thing in the morning and won't be back until Sunday night. While I'll exercise when I return Sunday night, I just don't know what to do about tomorrow. I guess I could take 2 pauses in a row; I just hate the idea of that.

I'm going to visit my father, and the town he lives in is having some fireworks and a sort of parade tomorrow evening. So we'll be doing tons of walking. What do y'all think? Could that count as my exercise for tomorrow? If we did a lot of walking like we're supposed to? He said we're going to drive down town and walk around for a couple of hours most likely. I haven't done one of these challenges before, so I'm hoping to get some of your input.

I won't be able to check this again until I get back on Sunday, but I'll see your responses then and it will help me decide whether or not I should consider tomorrow a pause day as well. Part of it will depend on whether or not my father follows through on the plans for tomorrow night, of course. We'll see.

Sunnigummi - I've just begun using Excel in this way. I've ALWAYS used it for things like household budgeting, keeping track of my grades, savings, etc. But I've never used it in this capacity before. I too have a weigh-in chart. It has the date, the goal weight for that week (figuring on 1.5 lbs a week), the actual weight, and the actual loss/gain for that week. I haven't color coded anything, though. I really like that idea. WTG on the weight loss and the exercising. You're doing a fantastic job!

miriam101 - Great to hear from you! You seem to be having a great time in New York, despite the occasional brush off from the natives. LOL I'll bet it's really neat and somehow rewarding for you to be so free and independent. And wow, I know that's a workout. When DH and I traveled some last year, I thought my legs would simply fail me if I walked one. more. step. Ugh! But it is so worth it, isn't it?

Arabella - It's good to see you. Thanks for letting us know what happened to you! I understand what you mean about having difficulty keeping up. When I post too late, I can spend nearly 2 hours on here reading and drafting responses, while scrolling back and forth keeping track of who I have and have not replied to yet. I've been neglecting the blog a bit, too, and not commenting on others' blogs the way I'd like to. But I'm telling you, it's been so worth it for me. We've got some major accountability going on, and I'm so thankful to have this to get my new healthy habits kickstarted. Good luck!

redballoon - Halfway through your second challenges?!? Awesome job! You are truly an inspiration. I look forward every single day to seeing your next 24 hours of success and accomplishment under your belt. It truly can be done, and you are a great symbol of that ongoing, day to day success, while still in the midst of such stress and temptation. WTG!

Quixotica - I'm sorry to hear about your sickness this week. I hope it passes really soon so you don't have to go to the doctor. Great job to losing the weight and keeping on plan for your diet! WTG!
schmalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #103  
Never give up

Unhappy inner mudslingers out in force...

Ok, got through another day.
It wasn't hard today. Sugar cravings weren't there. I wasn't at work so no urges to go drinking either.
It was a very bad day for me mentally riding again but I won't go into it.
My weight was WAY up this morning but I just took it in stride and am hoping it was water and the "whoosh fairy" will be here soon.
No word from that guy looking for an editor, the one who blew in and out like a sudden storm. Probably good. He seemed odd somehow and I doubt there's any money in it. Talk of my horse and her cost probably scare him off.
Anyhow, I am probably going to add another challenge. I am not getting enough vitamins and minerals. My skin is very bad again. Made green juice today. It's especially hard in the winter because who wants to drink cold juice? But I did. Will call it tomorrow whether I do it or not.

No Booze Day 11/32 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5) First round completed Nov. 25
Day 11/32 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5) First round completed Nov. 25
No Sugar
Day 9/30 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7) First round completed Nov. 27
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 5/25 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11) First round completed Dec. 1

Sunni -- I'd love to have your spreadsheet. It sounds fun...although I'm a little worried it will fuel my obsessions and lead to myself becoming yet harder on myself, which is not good. I'll private message you with my email address. Much obliged. Glad you liked my cats. And, great going on your challenge. Day 14! And bravo on the exercise AND the weight loss!

Quix -- I am sorry to hear you've been sick. Perhaps it's the flu. It is getting to that season. I do hope you feel better soon and can get some rest as well. Good for you for sticking to your journaling nonetheless. Don't worry about your thighs. They're not going to jell that fast. And smiles for those pounds falling off. Ah, sometimes it works, eh? Glad you liked my horse. She is far too smart for her own good and I am far too timid a rider. She needs a strong rider and doesn't respect you if you're not. I'm afraid I was so angry at myself today and sick of her refusing to work and ignoring me that I didn't lavish her with carrots afterward. She was very upset, neighing for me (and the carrots) and very unsettled in her stall. Finally, I relinquished realizing I was being a jerk. Her lips were quivering, she was so upset. I've never seen her do that and I felt awful. She is so untuned to me because she knows I won't hurt her and though she listens if she thinks she's not going to get something, under saddle, she doesn't respond to me because I can't work up the nerve to get after her to the extent she needs. So, I end up hating myself and feeling utterly depressed and in tears. Anyhow, so much for that.
Thanks for the congrats on my challenges. Yes, with the gym even yesterday I forced myself to go there on break at work. Worked up a good sweat. My pants feeling a little looser in the morning motivated me. I go to a variety of gyms, but no, there are no foreigners there, or very few. I don't give a hoot about my size at the gym (riding is another thing) and at barely over 5 feet I'm just wide, that's all. The Japanese are small, but undressed many of them are very unshapen. I have a lot of fat but I am very muscular too, like a little sumo wrestler, perhaps so I don't feel so bad. Don't mind the French (I am part French). Europeans in general are in the habit of looking people over. They probably thought you looked free and happy. Who cares about them being svelte?!? Hope you get those computer troubles worked out. We don't want to miss you.

miriam -- I don't think we've "graduated to long posts." It's just we had some time and a lot to say, I guess. Don't feel pressured. Glad you're enjoying New York. It's a great walking city. And bravo to you for finding your way around on your own. New York is not the easiest place to do that. The crowds and traffic can be very intimidating when you're not used to them. Also, New Yorkers are not known for their friendliness on the streets. That's a big city for you and you go into shutout mode. But, I find them friendly in the shops and such. Of course, that's because I'm used to the outwardly cool way of Japan. If you want friendly, go to MY city, Pittsburgh!

Arabella -- Sorry to hear you've abandoned us, but thanks for dropping in. I don't know. I find this thread very manageable. Other threads are far, far worse and there is no way I can follow everything people are saying and doing. I can't figure how people remember the details of others lives. This one, you can mostly ignore everything and focus on the challenges when you're feeling overwhelmed. In any case, sorry to see you go and best of luck on your challenges, wherever you may be!

schmalger -- I hope you enjoyed your pause. Of course, you can't expect to go, go, go all the time. You would become sick and overtrained. You did absolutely fantastic and deserve a break. Jillian sounds tough!
I really am concerned hearing about your headaches all the time. That's not normal! I do hope you get to the bottom of it and eliminate whatever is causing them soon.
As for your exercise, I think a lot of walking is totally FINE for your challenge. I once lost a lot of weight with just walking and I know other people who have too.
Thanks for all your support. You're so sweet. Knowing you're be watching really helps me.
Each day is hard, though yesterday I got my first compliment in eons. A coworker looked at me and said I was looking SO healthy these days. Of course, he was well into the sauce already as he usually starts hitting the bottle around noon and probably never really sobers up from the night before. Sad state but we have at least three hardcore alkies in the office and a lot of big drinkers. Another guy said to me, "I always hate you when I see you making food, because it always looks so healthy." Weird, why would someone hate you for taking care of yourself. Guilt, I guess. The same guy the day before, on hearing myself and another guy comparing gym routines, said hearing us made him feel so bad about doing nothing. His beer gut is reaching massive proportions, as our the guts of about six other guys in the office.
I understand your explanation of why you don't want to be "discovered." Yes, I can understand not wanting people to hear all the details, but I'm in far more danger than you. I dread that someone at work may see what I've actually been up to, hangovers or riding my horse when I've called in sick, for example.
Have you tried Rob Zombie for your workouts? I really like Great American Nightmare. I think the title song starts with this woman panting from running. Of course, you have to not mind the lyrics as they're pretty weird.
Well, gotta run! Hang in there and have fun at the parade!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-06-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

OK, guys, time to report in and post. I'm just gonna start over, beginning today. Was very bad for two days in a row, Thursday and Friday, that after taking the Pause on Tuesday. It's just been a real "challenge" to stay focused, but today (Saturday) is a new day and I'm going off to swim for the first time in a week. Not even getting on the scale until Monday b/c I am too afraid of seeing an enormous, but hopefully temporary, hiccup.

Challenges: (should take me up to Christmas!)

a) Exercise 6/7 days (at least 60 minutes) or 18/21 days for the duration--I guess I should just say 3 pauses.

b) Food journal, every day, no pauses, which leads me to.....

c) No more than 1600 calories, every day, no matter what I choose to eat--been having totally weird cravings lately, probably for comfort foods (but I'd better give me 3 pauses)

d) Positive thinking, gratefulness thought, every day, no pauses

e) also, water, 64 oz. minimum (no pauses)

Anyway, I'm off to get to my swim class. Feeling more optimistic today, so I'm gonna take advantage and not look back.

Arabella, hon, I am sooooo sorry for hijacking this thread and starting a long, personal post of some drama and possibly making you leave. I was wondering about what had happened to you, just assumed you were getting busy with holiday stuff, etc. I really miss reading your posts and hearing your unique insights. I hope you do come back and post at least a little.

Will come back later today and respond to others.
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #105  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Well, you know i was just lurking and here I am to bug you.

ModCat, the ONLY reason I can't post here regularly is because I just can't keep up. Seriously. Very popular thread and deservedly so! GREAT people and that's why I'll lurk and pop in.

Red, sorry for abandoning you! Loaded word, Baby. I just feel guilty when I can't respond to everyone and guilty if I do because the only way I can do that is cut into work time. I'll be back to visit as long as you don't bar the door!

all!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote