3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   New Beginnings - Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/154676-new-beginnings-supporting-each-other-our-weight-loss-journey.html)

derrydaughter 10-22-2008 12:22 PM

New Beginnings - Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

Hi there people!
I used to be on a thread called "Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey over in the Weight Watchers area of 3FC.
I've been away for awhile and have been trying to focus on something other than Weight Watchers, and weight loss in general. Kind of fed up with "programs" as I was almost feeling as if being constantly preoccupied with food, points and all that stuff was taking away from my JOY in life.
I still think Weight Watchers is wonderful, make no mistake, and I owe a great deal to them, BUT, I have to try to do this on my own for awhile. I need to see if what I learned about making proper and healthy choices for myself is something I can do without writing everything down, without worrying about points and all the rigmarole that goes along with any kind of program.
It's been an interesting couple of months for me. I've not been here on this web site and I've been just seeing if I can do something on my own.
I've lost about 3 or 4 pounds. I'm not getting on and off the scale all day, every day and freaking out. I'm relaxing more and if I "blow it" on one day, I'm not feeling remorse and punishing myself. I'm just moving on and moving on easily.
I'm hoping there are some others like me out there and maybe some of my old friends are still here and will try to encourage each other here.
Hugs to all, it's nice to be here once again.
Linda in NH
;)

AnnCanDoIt 10-22-2008 05:50 PM

Hi Linda,

I think this thread is a wonderful idea. I think it may be what I need. A new beginning with support.
Thank you for starting this thread. I hope others stop by to say hello and share how they are doing.
Ann

mandalinn82 10-22-2008 05:54 PM

Linda - What a great idea! I'm moving this to the "Support Groups" forum so people looking for a group will find it more easily.

shelbysmom 10-22-2008 07:47 PM

Linda~ Hey Woman!!!!! I saw your thread in the weight loss support forum I'm posting in and thought "Could it be?" and it was it was you!!!!I've missed ya girlfriend!!! But it was moved :( I've gotten away from weight watchers also...actually like a looooooong time ago,I just enjoyed talking to everybody there and was still losing the weight....like you I am trying to make better choices and I have actually thought about getting back to WW but I don't like having to keep up with everything either...so I'm just trying my own thing....watching this and that trying to do water... and a bunch of us have a thread called Christmas goal setting and alot of people have come on there to set their goal... mine is 185.....I hope I can do it :):carrot:
Anyway girl...I'll be back if ya like...I left the thread over in WW cause nobody was coing back....I guess all got busy and it's really hard to support yourself and that's basically what I was doing....talking to myself:dizzy:!!!LOL So I'll talk later!!! I'm watching a phone on ebay and it ends at 8:30!!!Be Back

derrydaughter 10-22-2008 07:52 PM

You go girl! Hope you get that phone.
I'm glad you found me. I sent the link to people from the old group and then it was moved, I have no idea WHY truly, but whatever....
Good to hear from you.
Linda

djmommy 10-22-2008 09:00 PM

HI Linda I am in.. I also stopped ww awhile ago and did well until I sprained my foot. Than it was summer and i gained all I lost and Just today I was saying I need to get serious... I even ran today about 1 and a half! Yes I did.. Wahoo. So it is odd that you emailed me. I am so in.. I am just watching my food counting cals per say... I need to get the db in bed so I will check in again.. Busy weekend ahead so if you do not hear from me you will next week. See yah.. Thanks for the email.. Barb

mandalinn82 10-22-2008 09:03 PM

Hey - if you linked them they'll be re-directed here no problems. The link is based on the thread number, which doesn't change even if it is moved.
I moved it here because you're trying to start a group, and the "Support Groups" forum gets more members who are looking for a group to join, and you're more likely to grow this way!

So yeah, don't worry about the link - it'll still work just fine!

sweetnsassyfied 10-23-2008 12:14 AM

Linda as you well know... I am lurker extra-ordinare. ;) Thanks or the link its great to see you back at it. Meaning in the right mindset.

I havent followed followed WW for a long time. I took what I needed from their program ( Portion control and the 8 Healthy great. ) fusing it with Calorie counting. Which I find easier and travels better no matter which country you in. Calories are marked clearly on everything. :D

I will be popping in ocassionally... Cuz I like you and your gang. ;)

Good luck to all.

derrydaughter 10-23-2008 06:51 AM

Barb and Sarry great to hear from you all again.
It's kind of funny that many of us who were tried and true WW memebers have moved away from it. I'm not saying I won't ever go back there, but I don't think I need it. I sure paid them hundreds, even thousands, of dollars, and I thank them for teaching me. I'm ready to spread my own wings and fly. I need to see if I can be on my own and work this through.
Barb, congrats on getting back to running and trying again.
Sassy, that tracker of yours is amazing, you are getting so close and you are truly doing it! I'm so very proud of you.

For today, I'm doing this one day at a time thing, I guess. I have a VERY busy day, a quilt group in the morning and a wake (very sad, a friend's son died) and then working for the political group of my choice (no affiliation ought to be mentioned here for sure). Meals might be scetchy and I think I need some planning ahead. I'll try but it's going to be crazy.
I actually blew off an on line quilt group I've been part of for a long time recently. It was habit and taking up lots of time. I can use that time more wisely and perhaps for meal planning or exercise? We'll see.
One thing that I might say, if I were to give out (and take my own) advice today is to look at how you are spending your time. If something you do regularly (not a paying job as we all need money) is no longer rewarding, you need to cut your losses and get out of it. If it's not "good" for you at this time in your life, deal with it and move on.
I guess that could be said for weight loss programs?

So, aside from a busy day, I can think ahead to things that I will do for myself that are positive. I'm thinking about getting my hair highlighted. That might be fun and give me a brighter perspective.
Hey world, it's me again, I want to be part of it all and have fun!

shelbysmom 10-23-2008 04:26 PM

I like your attitude Linda ......you've inspired me and I thank you for making my day better!:hug:

haylo921 10-23-2008 05:46 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for getting me the link so I can chat with ya'll again. Well interesting about the WW, b/c I always posted over there but pretty much kind of mixed things together between ww and calorie counting and just trying to eat right. So Linda, I think this will be a great thread. I hope everyone is doing well. I feel good to be a part of something again. As far eating this week I have been good!!! I have been really trying to focus on watching my portions. I know I need to get in more vegtables, and definatly more water. I too spent a lot of money on WW stuff and I finally decided that instead of spending money to weight myself I needed to spend money on buying groceries that are healthy. I too have nothing against WW it's a good program and taught me a lot. Anyways, good to be back.:carrot:

derrydaughter 10-23-2008 07:55 PM

Great to hear back from so many of you right away! Feels like "old times".
I thought of you guys tonight. It was a rough day with lots of crazy and unexpected twists. I went to a wake this afternoon, which was rather sad as a friend's son died. No parent should outlive their child.
So, after that some volunteer work and then I was driving home well after my normal dinner time, starving. I drove by MacDonald's, I drove by Burger King, and several other tempting places that would be a "quick fix".
You know what? I got home to some chicken, string beans and a 2 point (still using points as a reference) roll with lite margarine. It was filling and it was so much more of a healthier choice than a burger and fries. I wanted to just grab something as it would have been easy to do, but I am glad. What kept me going was thinking about all of you and how I just started this new thread and how I do still want very much to succeed.
What NSVs were in your day, if any?
Any good recipes that you have tried since we last spoke?

AnnCanDoIt 10-23-2008 08:12 PM

Hello Ladies,

It does seem like old times. Welcome back to everyone. It sounds like we all need this thread. Thanks for starting this thread Linda.
I like your "Mantra" Linda.
Hello to you Barb, great job on getting back to running.
Hi Trysh, yeah you, that sounds like a very realistic goal, you go girl.
It is nice to see you Janelle.
Sassy, you are doing awesome? How many calories do you have each day?
Hello to everyone and anyone lurking.
To new beginnings. Congratulations to all of you.
Ann

shelbysmom 10-24-2008 02:06 PM

TGIF!:carrot: Hi Linda,Ann,Haylo and evrybody else outhere!! I weighed this morning and I'm back down to 196 and I'm pretty happy!!! I think maybe my self conscience new I was gonna lose my weight and get to my mini week goal and that MUST be why I bid on a purse and phone on ebay and won!!!.....so I treated my self without even knowing it!!! But I have to say I really don't do that all the time...I think it's cause I was down cause DH was in Florida all week and I was bored....and I was kinda mad at him too...the other day we kinda got into it over a phone...I really need one...mine is being held together by a phone cover and it goes out for no reason sometimes .....I wanted this phone,it was "ON SALE" for 299 and he still said it was high and flat out "no" like he's my daddy....well these past few weeks I've been trying to play secret santa and I've got an upholstery job pending(reall good money)...and I was planning on buying DH a guitar for Christmas... I could've gotten the phone free with contract but he said "no",but anyway I looked at him and said " I can't believe I was gonna buy you a 1500 dollar guitar,and nevermind,I'll get me a phone,without your help" it really changed his toon,then he started asking me about signing a contract and everystuff....I really didn't want anything to do with him for 4 days...then he went to Florida and I don't know,sometimes I feel like I care more than he does...I happen to think he's worth it...but he doesn't think..I am...or that's the impression I get sometimes...but apperently it didn't sink in because when I won this phone off of ebay he didn't offer to help and I even asked him..and he laughed....oh well......atleast I can say that I got the dern thing on my own.....but he still paid 20 on my purse...he found that out this morning when he was looking in his check book :s: hehehe :lol3: Well I guess I'll go,I gotta lotta nothin' to do :D Ya'll have a great weekend!!

mpaigew 10-25-2008 08:16 PM

Hey everyone!

Thanks, Linda, for starting this thread. Maybe this is just what we all need...just support.

I've been in an odd place the last month. My weight has gone up about 5 lbs; I know I've gotten lazy, but even when I feel like I'm doing good, I can't get the scale to do much of anything. I get annoyed, say screw it, what is the point? And then here I am...it all caught up and now I don't know what to follow, what to do differently. I've been trying to add more fiber to my diet; that does seem to help some. I've been trying to pack my lunch at work, and that has helped some. I just have to take it day by day.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else...I'm "sort of" following ww. I don't journal, don't count my points. I know point values for everything, and I still go grocery shopping with my points calculator. Before each meal or snack I figure out what the point value is going to be and determine if it is worth it, if I can "afford" it.

I've come to the realization that I have a true love-hate relationship with food. I love food. Not just eating...I love to LOOK at food. I scour the internet, magazines, cookbooks, whatever for pictures of food. I'm mainly looking for dessert ideas for work, but it has truly become a "thing" for me. I hate how comfortable I've become at work around food. Some days I really have self control and am able to avoid the b-l-t's, but other days are HARD!

Anyway, I am glad that we have a new beginning here with this thread. It really does feel like "old times" again!

Have a great night all!

sweetnsassyfied 10-26-2008 02:28 AM

Ann: Actively losing without exercise, I eat between 1,300 -1,500 calories. Naturally there are days when I am hungrier, or not as hungry, but it all averages out in the long run. With exercise that gets bumped up to 1,400-1,800 calories depending what I am doing. I enjoy interval training. Walk/jog, or walk/sprint, or hill climbing.

I am BIG into the little things. I believe all the little things add up. IE; My computer chair is a stabilty ball! I am forever bouncing, balancing, or doing mini circular motions while online. :D Before I sit anywhere in my house be it my couch, bed, dining room chair, or outside, I will do 10 squats or tri-cep dips. ;) My shameful secret... I'm a smoker. :o I smoke outside and I feel if I am foolish enough to light up I can look the part too. So before I light up I do 20 jumping jacks. :^: eh... Red lights, waiting in any line, or for the bus Isometrics babay. Sucking that belly button in towards my spine and holding for a count of 45 or butt clenches. These are just a few of the ways I found or have tricked myself into moving more. :spin:

My only rule for eating, Protien/Carb/1-3 fruit,veg, or mixture at every meal. Snacks are filler ins. Whatever I am light on that day. Thank god I am never low on carbs ( pasta, rice carbs ) cuz thats a weakness of mine along with Chinese foods and cakes. :hun: Had to do a brainshift there that took forever but was so worth it! ;)

Water has been my magic bullet! On a normal day I drink 9-8oz glasses. Which will get bumped up to 12-15 if I am working out. If I am shy on my water intake my scale is always up the next day.

Once again I get asked a simple question and I turn the response into book. Which is why I try to stay in lurk mode most often. :^: So I slip back into lurk, but know I am rooting and sharing in your journies with you. And if ever your in the mood for a good read... Just give me a shout... "Hey Sassy!" :rofl:

AnnCanDoIt 10-26-2008 06:55 AM

Good morning ladies.
Sassy, thanks for your response. It helps me find direction. I think that eating the way you do will work for my lifestyle. Having a protein, carb, veg/fruit at every meal. Thank you for sharing the info you did. Please post I enjoy reading your posts.

Hi Paige, it sounds like you truly love your career. It is wonderful you found something you are passionate about. How are your girls? Did you make it to see Erica at the pumpkin patch?

Linda, how was your day. Are you taking care of you. I remember you use to take care of everyone else. I do hope you take care of yourself too.

Trysh, wow over 200 for a phone....yikes. I do hope you use it often to get your money's worth. This is the first year I can remember I don't have my Christmas shopping done. Usually I am done mine by the first weekend in September.

Janelle, how is everything with you. Are you still doing your 5k's?

Barb, are the children enjoying school? How is your job going?

Hello to everyone else, I hope you have a wonderful day.

As for me, I find I am still really busy and not getting as much sleep as I would like. I do think it affects my weight loss. I try to get at least 8 hours but for some reason I have only been getting about 6 hours a night. I need to work on that.

Have a great day. I will post more once I get a chance.
Ann

haylo921 10-26-2008 12:16 PM

Hello everyone,

Sassy: sounds like you have some good ideas to keep yourself moving. I may incorporate some of that.

Ann: yup still running, however these past couple of months I have been training for a half-marathon it has been challenging. I would love to say I have lost weight training for weight but nope I just keep going up and down. Today we walked/ran 10 miles. Our Martahon is in 3 weeks so the trainer in charge said to use these next couple weeks as recovery and to watch what we are eating. So hopefully that will get me on track to eating healthy.

Paige: I totally relate to you with the weight fluctuations, I get so frustrated especially when I have been running and walking so much and nothing. Not a drop of weight loss. I am glad to see you over here.

shelby: ARGH, I am constantly replacing phones, as a matter of fact my phone broke and they replaced it with a phone just like mine but it is already giving me problems. Phones can be expensive, but fun!!! I hope you get it!!

derrydaughter 10-26-2008 04:09 PM

Hi everyone! Doing OK here. It was a lovely day, sunny and warm with just a bit of foliage left. We went out for a drive and I resisted ice cream. That is a big step for me.
DH has mentioned pizza delivery for dinner. That's OK with me, but I can have a big salad from the place and maybe one or two slices of pizza instead of going nuts.
Speaking of salads I have found an amazing balsamic vinegar, wish the bottle had the name on it. I purchased it at a farm stand and it was $12.00 for a tiny bottle. I didn't look at the price, just needed balsamic for a recipe and had no clue what I was spending until I got to the cash register. I shrugged my shoulders and bought it as I was in a hurry and the company that was going to be with us for dinner was in the car waiting for me.
So, I learned a lesson about quality ingredients that day. $12.00 balsamic vinegar is "nectar of the Gods" and there is a reason why it's that expensive. There is a reason that only one measured tsp of the stuff with 2 measured tsp of olive oil is ALL I will ever use on my salad now. Amazing and luxurious. I had no idea. All the balsamic I've ever had was "harsh" in comparison and it was like a fine wine vs. buying the $5.00 a bottle "junk".
So, I look forward to my salad tonight with anticipation.

djmommy 10-26-2008 08:17 PM

HI everyone! Wow it is nice to hear how you all have been. Well things have changed around here as well. I got a little job. I have not worked in 11 years so this is really testing everything. Man it is hard to juggle everything. I liked my old life better. I only work 3 days from 9-1:30 . My son gets out of school at 2;15 so I am off and running by than. Buy 4 I have tutoring for him 2 times a week than by 5;30 I am home. I swear I want to work only 2 days cuz my other 2 days of the week I am running and doing errands like crazy.. How do you all do it working full time. I praise you all. You are better people than me... I just have a hard time functioning.. Than I think we are not even in sports now what happens when that time comes.. YIKES

Well since I have been working I am having a hard time balancing working out. I can not go before work since my dh leaves so early at 5. Afterwards forget I am zonked. I have been trying to go on wed after work and I just started walking while my ds is tutored for his dyslexia. Hopefully this will pay off.

We are going to Florida in 2 weeks. I wanted to be lighter instead I am 10 pds heavier. So I decided to do south beach for 2 weeks to lose some quick weight to fit in my shorts comfy. I figured I needed to do something so I do not die in my TIGHT shorts...We are surprising my children , they know we are going but not when.... We are going to pick them up for school and leave.... We will see when they notice!!!

So that is it in a nut shell. My house is a disaster and I am trying to stay focused on losing weight. I will need you all for some support.. I keep on saying that this time around is it. I am so sick of constantly doing this ever year.......So lets keep our fingers crossed that this is it for this journey...Once we are there we only have to maintain... Better go Barb

derrydaughter 10-27-2008 06:38 AM

Barb: I wish I had the right words to advise you how to manage it all, but I don't. I admire your efforts with the new job and hope you settle in to a better routine. I do think that time management is the key during times such as these. You need to make lists, group similar activates and maybe just try small segments of exercise in between activities.
For example: I used to have to take my son to guitar lessons. These lessons were a half hour long and far enough away from our house that it was pointless to drive home while he was there. Sometimes, I would be so exhausted that I would recline the seat in the car and nap outside the teacher's house. Sometimes, I would get out of the car and walk, looking at my watch and measuring 10 minutes, one way, and then turning around and heading back to the car, always making sure I was there before my son would be out the door. Sometimes, I would run to the dry cleaners, drug store or that kind of simple thing while he was at lessons.
But, if you are working, you know to park further away from the door and walk. Take stairs instead of elevators and maybe "do the stairs" at home (if you have stairs) up and down two or three extra times a day. You can fit in small tidbits of activity without going to a gym, or segmenting off huge amounts of time to do major work outs. Just relax about it.
I even do "butt crunches" while I am watching TV once in awhile, maybe during one entire commercial. But, the key to making it work is to stop worrying about it so much.

I have good news this morning. I'm down to 155, a new low for me. I ate what I wanted, pretty much, all weekend long and even had dinner out on Friday night with a glass of wine. But, I skipped dessert and made sure my portions were smaller on everything.

But, the bad news is that I found a lump in one of my breasts on Saturday. I'll be calling the doctor first thing this morning for an appointment and to see what I need to do. I'm not tremendously worried as I had a mammogram just about two months ago and nothing was there, but if I can feel it and I have never felt anything there before, I shall go get checked out.

Take care, everyone,

djmommy 10-27-2008 04:40 PM

congrats Linda on the weight loss. Wahoo, that is awesome.. I have not been at that weight since about 15 years ago... Wow How wonderful!! A lot of hard work you should be very proud of yourself!

I hope your lump is nothing. Glad to hear you just went to get checked! I will keep you in my prayers though just for an extra boost.

Eating has been great. I cheated a small bit with a few chips as I was getting food out for the kids. Not many maybe 4... So that is cool. I even went to Panara bread today and only ordered soup.. Veggie at that!!! No bread got some chips to take home for my sons lunch tom. SO I must say I am proud thus far. I have a roasted chick in the oven and I roasted veggies as well. I also made some bean soup last night and hummus.... So iam set fro the week. Just need to stay focused.

Linda you are right. I did walk last week but I am suppose to stay on the premises when he is being tutored....But I am still going to sneak in walks...

I hope everyone else is well. I may check in later. Take care BArb

derrydaughter 10-27-2008 07:37 PM

Thanks, Barb. Have to admit that I am really scared. Saw my OB/GYN today and I have been referred to a surgeon on Friday. I shall do my best to stay positive, but this is really hard.
If you have to stay on the premises while your son is being tutored, is there stairs that you can go up and down a few times?
Well, that is all for me tonight. Going to try to watch some TV and put aside my worries.

djmommy 10-27-2008 07:48 PM

Please keep us posted Linda. I will for sure keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and keep busy......

haylo921 10-27-2008 08:59 PM

Linda: I am happy to hear you were down, and I am sorry to hear about the lump. I hope it is nothing serious. Please keep us posted, I will keep you in my prayers.

mpaigew 10-28-2008 07:37 AM

Happy Tuesday all! I was a little surprised to wake up to snow this morning, a 2 hr delay for my dd, and a winter storm advisory in effect. When the heck did that happen?! I thought it was supposed to be sunny today! LOL!

Things here have been ok eating wise, I guess? I am really trying to have my first, automatic choice be the RIGHT choice...I took dd to McDonalds yesterday and just got a hamburger and ate a few fries from her Happy Meal. For dinner I made a really awesome chicken pomodoro recipe that I had come across; it was pan fried in a little bit of olive oil and cooking spray. I replaced the heavy cream with milk, and we had it with rice. Last night the Titans played Monday nite football, and while my dh snacked on pretzels and icing, I munched on some carrots, a WW cheese stick, and a sugar free pudding pack.

Linda-I really hope and pray that everything goes ok with you at the surgeon. You have every right to be scared, but know that there will be a lot of people praying for you. =) Also, congrats on your weight being down. I think you and I were at the same point, you know? I needed to "sort of" do WW...the more uptight I was about it, the more guilt I felt over it, and the more I overate. By taking a little more relaxed view, I was able to make it a lifestyle change. I just worry that I got TOO relaxed! I don't even know if it's that...I just feel like I don't know what works anymore.

Barb-It is hard to juggle work and the kids, but I think you do get used to it. I like the constant go-go-go that comes with, and find myself not knowing what to do the days that I'm off (which I end up wanting to eat!) I think you just have to be aware through your day of little ways that you can fit in things like exercise...for me, one way is stairs. At work, a lot of my ingredients are down in the basement, and there are a big flight of stairs going down there. Most days I really feel like I could of been on a stairclimber, the amount that I go up and down (even though I get multiple ingredients each trip!) When I go up the stairs, I try to be really aware of the muscles that I am using and tighten them with every step. It's not an exercise replacer, but it's something at least!

Ann-My girls are good. They have been really struggling with their asthma this year; my older dd was pretty bad last week. Their dr said that if I hadn't of brought her in for a breathing treatment and meds, she would of been in the hospital by the end of the week. It's scary. Other than that, they are good! How is your little boy? Yes, I am very passionate about my job! I love it. We are so super busy there; my boss even wants me to pick up another day. Our business has really picked up this year, go figure! I have not gone up to see Erica's pumpkin farm; the season just goes by so quickly...every weekend there is something going on. I hope she is doing well; I should pm her.

Janelle-Did you see the Titans game last night? I even stayed up for it, which is pretty good for me. Dh and dds are going to Nashville the weekend before Thanksgiving to watch the Titans-Jets game. I thought at first that I'd be able to go, but I realized I didn't dare ask to switch my schedule, with it being right before a holiday. I'm really disappointed that I'm not able to go! That is so great that you do the marathons; I wish I had that much motivation. =)

Well, I hope everyone has a great, op day!!!

shelbysmom 10-29-2008 10:57 PM

Hi all....Happy Hump day/night...I know it's late and by the time ya'll read this,it'll be Thursday......
Linda~ I'm thinking about ya...breast cancer is a really scary thing...let me tell ya....ask for an ultrasound,because sometime those will find what a mammy won't,and I can't believe the docs aren't using these more....about 5 years ago the doc found something in my breast right behind the nipple and it felt sore when you pressed it so she sent me for an ultrasound,which it just turned up nothing,because when she found it..I was getting ready to start,but by my ultrasound appt.,I had only been off my period 3 days,so that explained what it was....so now I TRy to remember to check the sisters,and I have to admit sometimes I wonder if it could possibly turn into something one of these days...so I worry...I think we all worry about that...My sis had breast cancer when she was about 45 so I need to start mammys next year,they want to start mammy 10 years prior to the age of your mom,or sister's age when they had the cancer...But I think that's what I'll do is ask for an ultrasound...I don't know if you saw where Suzanne Summers was talking about her breast cancer and she said she had the lump and knew it was something because it wasn't there before,so they sent her for a mammy and found nothing ,but she just knew it wasn't right so she had an ultrasound and it found the cancer... So that's something to think about..for a second opinion maybe...
Speaking of news DH is in Ft. Lauderdale FL this week and was hoping to get back either tomorrow or Friday sometime,and I found out tonight he may not be coming home at all,or atleast till Monday..He's going to miss trick or treating...I'm going to have to do this by myself I guess...it's really not a big deal,it's just the point of it...his bosses are work aholics and expect it of their employees also,EVEN IF THEY DO HAVE KIDS TO TAKE TRICK OR TREATING!!!!!!!!! :censored::censored::censored: sorry, he doesn't like his new job..I don't like his new job......they are keeping him on the road away from me and the kids and I just hate it.....sorry to vent but if they send him somewhere else and he misses Thanksgiving,I will personally go up there and quit his job for him!!LOL!!! Anyway I guess I;ll go snuggle my baby so I can get up and do it all over again tomorrow...talk later!!

derrydaughter 10-30-2008 06:22 AM

Hi everyone. Still apprehensive about tomorrow afternoon's appointment. I'll be asking for an ultrasound as well as an MRI, I think? I've been sworn, basically, OFF caffeine this week. In my readings, I have determined that caffeine can cause breast cysts and pain. It may be my imagination, but the lump feels a bit smaller? We shall see. But, I'm hopeful that it's only a cyst or something benign. I also read that 9 times out off 10 they are benign. So, maybe that will be me?
But, in the meantime, life goes on and I have been trying to be busy.
Paige, I have not seen any WW cheese sticks around here, can you describe them?
Also, that pomodoro recipe sounds appealing, can you share?
Not much news here, have been cleaning and reorganizing the house. We're getting ready for a yard sale and I have to really get rolling with it all before it snows a great deal and gets too cold to do it. Paige's weather may be here before you know it! It was 38 here this morning, not that warm. Not sure I want to be outdoors for an entire day this time of year for a yard sale, but I want this stuff out of here!
Linda

mpaigew 10-31-2008 05:34 AM

Linda-I found out on Wednesday that my sister was going to the dr yesterday for two lumps that she found. I spoke with my mom yesterday, and the are sending her next week for a mammogram and an ultrasound. She has always had problems with fiberous tissue, so hopefully this is nothing. Breast cancer does not run in my family; I can't think of anyone who has had it. Does it run in yours?
The WW cheese sticks are mozzarella sticks (string cheese.) The are pretty good, a little rubbery, but they have a decent flavor. They are 1 pt. I've been taking one of those, some carrots, a sandwich (made with double fiber bread) or Progresso soup, or a Fiber One pop tart (these are GOOD!) for lunch to work lately. I did well until yesterday...it's been a bad week there, and I just didn't feel like eating my pop tart! My boss made me my favorite...quiona cakes (which are actually core) on flat bread with tomatoes, arugala, and aioli. It is SUCH a yummy sandwich. The only "bad" thing would be the aioli, but there isn't that much of it, and they thin it down to a dressing consistancy.
I will post the chicken pomadoro recipe in my next post; I need to start getting ready for work (I'm dressing up as a witch today!)

I hope everyone has a happy and SAFE Halloween! Be careful with the candy! We have SOOOOOO much of it in the house right now, as we get an incredible amount of trick or treaters, and this year will be worse as it is a FRIDAY!

derrydaughter 11-01-2008 07:04 AM

Thanks, Paige. The appointment was pretty inconsequential and the exam was inconclusive. I'm going to have an MRI next week. I'm glad we are pursuing this further. I was cautioned that MRIs can often give false positive results, but that due to the "density" of my breasts that my mammograms (which I have had every year since in my early 30s and I'm now 53) always are difficult to read. An MRI will be much more accurate. If they find anything in the MRI that looks suspicious, then we shall proceed to a biopsy. So, onward we go. I'm planning to live and be around for a very long time, so best to take this approach.
Paige, I hope your sister is OK, keep us posted.
One more thing to mention, ladies, cut down on caffeine! I was told that breast cysts can develop due to caffeine and that I need to cut that out of my life. I can do that, but it's going to be hard.

So, getting back to why we are all here.
Would anyone be interested in a little challenge?
How 'bout just 3 pounds between now and December 26th? If you lose 3 pounds (and more, maybe?) you donate $25.00 worth of food (what you would have eaten and maybe passed on between now and that date?) to a local food pantry!

I'm in and I'm going to try really hard. There will be lots of events and special foods between now and Dec. 26th, however, we need to keep an awareness throughout this season or we could be 3 pounds heavier vs. lighter! Three pounds is a reasonable goal, given the time of year, vs. saying 5 or even 10, let's be reasonable and fair to ourselves. I probably WILL (and will love every minute of it) enjoy a great meal on Thanksgiving, with pie and gravy and things that I do not eat every day. I might have a few Christmas cookies and some cheese-ball. I will not torture myself of beat myself up over having those things. But, I can carve points/calories off many other meals and squeeze in some kind of activity.

A healthy lifestyle is on my mind, certainly, when you think of things like breast cancer and other health issues that can "hit hard". Do we want to be at a proper weight so our bodies are fighting for us, or are we going to allow more fat cells to expand and to become even more sedentary. It's time to FIGHT!

sweetnsassyfied 11-02-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Do we want to be at a proper weight so our bodies are fighting for us, or are we going to allow more fat cells to expand and to become even more sedentary. It's time to FIGHT!
Now there's the Linda I know!! :woohoo:

I opt for fight!! :boxing:

And BTW, they found a mass in my breast also this past July. Could be anything from a swollen nymph node to... We've decided to keep an eye on it for 6 months to see if it grows or goes. My next appointment is in December for a look see. A few years ago my Mother had a "lump", they biopsied and found it benign ( Thankfully ). The biopsy had mishapened her breast. She regrets not going the more cautious route as I am doing. My Father's fear caused her to leap before looking.

Which route you decide is best for you... I am here for you Linda. :hug:

derrydaughter 11-02-2008 07:12 AM

Hey Sassy, thanks for the support. I assume you are doing everything your doctors have asked and, if so, then you are doing the right thing. Keep us posted.
Did they mention caffeine to you? I'm really trying. Now down to 1/2 scoop of caffeinated coffee in a full pot that takes 7 scoops to make here at this house. That is HUGE for me, and I have to admit to a few caffeine withdrawal headaches over the last few days, but I know it's the right thing to do. I read, one time, that caffeine would have been a controlled substance if they knew more about it years ago. Interesting that such a stimulant is so readily used and available. Maybe a caffeine free me will be less hyper, stressed and happier?
Today, I plan to get some exercise as we are getting ready for a yard sale. Lots of things to move around and deal with and I hope to have it next Saturday, if all goes well. I plan on eating all meals at home and being very good to myself.

shelbysmom 11-03-2008 12:47 PM

Hi all you Chickies!! Happy Monday...I'm sitting here having lunch and thinking about heating up the rotisserie chicken for dinner I bought at walmart yesterday and I was wondering what would be good to have with it....I'm not really sure what to have...I thought about just salad,but I;m keeping the kids in mind too,I might do them fries and me a salad...I got some green beans...oh that sounds good together....I told DD that we would be having spaghetti,but I just don't know,I do need to cook that burger I put in the fridge Saturday...Anyways Just wantin' some ideas...and maybe what you guys might be having? I just might do a copycat!!LOL well gotta get back to work...I'll talk later!!

mpaigew 11-03-2008 02:45 PM

Hi all....

I'm kind of having a hard day today. Just one of those days, and I want to eat. I'm home, avoiding cleaning and laundry...just want to lay down on the couch and sleep.

I'm going to make that chicken pomadoro again tonight. It was really good last time, and I have some of the 90 second rice that I might make with it.

Here is the recipe (from Cuisine magazine...)

4 chicken cutlets
salt
pepper
flour
olive oil
1/4 c. vodka
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 c. tomatoes
2 tbsp heavy cream (I substituted milk, and actually added more too)

Pound out chicken and season with salt and pepper. Coat each side in flour. Add oil (I used some oil, and some cooking spray) to a skillet and heat up. Saute chicken on both sides, and remove from pan. If there is any fat in the pan, drain it.

Deglaze pan with vodka (away from heat) and cook until almost evaporated. Add broth and lemon juice. Return chicken to pan and cook 1 minute on each side. Remove chicken from pan.

Add tomatoes and cream (milk) to skillet. Heat through and pour over chicken.

I used italian diced tomatoes from a can (drained) but I would suggest adding some oregano to your tomatoes if you aren't using an already seasoned kind.

That is all for now...chat later.

derrydaughter 11-03-2008 06:58 PM

Thanks for the recipe, Paige!
I'm having a hungry day as well, maybe because it's gotten so much colder all of a sudden? It was only 24 when I woke up this morning. Yikes! The sky looked like snow and it began to rain halfway through the day. I'm cold and I want warm food to warm me up.

haylo921 11-03-2008 10:31 PM

Hey everyone,

Well today I started off eating good, and had good intentions until a friend of mine and I decided to sabatoge ourselves and go to chilis and we ate like pigs. I do have to say that after eating like that I believe it is out of my system and I will no longer be wanting molten chocolate cake b/c after we ate it both of us felt horrible from eating so badly.

Linda: I think your challenge is a great idea!!

haylo921 11-03-2008 10:33 PM

Paige: OOPs forgot to respond to you. No I didn't get to see the Titans :mad: I have been a little off with my football watching schedule since I have been preparing for the marathon. Wow, how exciting for your DH.

derrydaughter 11-04-2008 05:17 AM

Well, I got on my scale this morning and was hoping for a loss but that was not the case. I have to watch it. I was a bit indulgent on leftover Halloween candy, plus I've been volunteering at election headquarters (no affiliation to be discussed here) and things are at a wild pace, as you can well imagine and I ate a doughnut and candy.
So, um, that is the true confession of the day. I'm volunteering again today and will be driving people to the polls who do not have rides. I'm thinking of planning ahead with a small bag of almonds, some fruit and maybe a bag of low fat wheat thins or something. They are really feeding people and bringing in tons of food to keep people going there, which is awfully nice, but it's not the right kind of food.
I woke up early, as the time change has not kicked in for me and I've yet to gain that extra hour's sleep, I guess. So, with this extra hour before I have to get rolling, maybe it's a good time for the treadmill? I've been so avoiding exercise this week.
So, no loss, and a busy week ahead. I have lots of stress and I need to use the tools that I have been given to cope and make it through the days.
What tools will you all be using this week?

haylo921 11-06-2008 06:37 PM

Hey Linda,

Sounds like you have been busy. As far as tools this week, I am making it a point to journal everyday no matter what and I think it is helping. It is so weird how writing stuff down makes you really become more consicous of what you are eating.

I hope everyone is doing well this week.

derrydaughter 11-07-2008 06:48 AM

Good job, Haylo! I'm not into journaling lately as I feel that was a detriment to me. I think it was making me more concerned and worrying so much about not having enough food to satisfy me. I wondered if it was almost making me want to eat MORE? I don't know. But, since I have stopped journaling, I've been doing better, less stressed and losing weight.
However, different things work for different people, we all know how many weight loss programs exist out there nowadays, so if journals work, then go for it and do it well!
My weight went down again this week, changing my signature. 2 more pounds, down to 155 now.