Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #61  
a work in progress...

:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Okay, I'm on board for starting a 21 day challenge... tomorrow!

Going to plant my tree now...Have a great day, faire s!

Remeber to be kind to yourselves today! Do something fun. Smile. Laugh. Remember how much you are loved!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #62  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Arabella reporting in: Day 2

All went according to plan yesterday and I will formulate a plan to make today work for me too.

I think I'll add a daily task to my checklist. Something decluttered or some delayed paperwork taken care of. Even a 10-minute task a day will help me start to get on top of things

So. Been to the gym, done the circuits, done some yoga. I'm intending to finish the rest of my yoga in brief stretches through the day. I'm a wee bit tired today so I'll pamper myself by taking some total rest breaks -- lounging and reading for 15 mins... whatever it takes! Just no feeding for fatigue.

Huzzah, Kat! So happy to have you on the 21-day challenge.

To all ly folk. Let's make this one count!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #63  

So - mark me down for a 21 day challenge too. I REALLY need to do this.

Water - get back on track
Calories - ditto
Exercise - do at least SOME - last weeks have been bad
Meditation - I usually get in some of this but more's always good
Fun - I try hard on this and manage some

The clutter challenge is another good one. I go in spurts and it's been a while.

Overall, I'm looking at hopefully a less busy (and hopefully less stressful) three weeks than the last three were. And I'm seriously considering initiating the "eat at table only" rule. No saying I can't eat in a civilized manner just because I eat alone most of the time.

So, SERIOUSLY, come June 2 I hope to be less stressed, a tiny bit more toned and feeling just a wee more healthy than I am today.

DS just left for two business appts he wisely scheduled in PA for the day after Mother's Day so combined two birds, etc. Enjoyed his company as always, got a few chores accomplished (by him) and had a relaxed dinner out w/him yesterday. He's a very health conscious eater so I have no piles of leftover goodies to deal with, in fact, he may have been a leetle disappointed in lack thereof because when he goes a little wild, it's usually here.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a pleasant day (and a good treeplanting, kat). I think I'll quit this and go watch the noon news and just take a little sit-down just to get in the extra restup. Warding off fatigue is a necessity for me too if I want to stay on track. Almost feel ready for a nap already. Good day for it as it's still quite rainy and cold. Looking forward to the sun tomorrow And at least I don't have to water any flowers or grass

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's Challenging I go. Been a good while since I even tried one SERIOUSLY.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #64  

Red face The beauty of the 21-Day Challenge

... is that you get a fresh start whenever you need one. So, here I go, Day 1 again. Yesterday I decided it would be nice to have lunch while I watched part of a movie on TV. Feeling pretty much on track, pretty strong. Had a little scoop of hummus with carrot sticks and salad. A grapefruit. Perfection!

And then I went back for another scoop and carrots.

And then I popped two bags of "smart" popcorn, one after another, and threw a big handful of nuts into each of them.

And then, I'm really embarrassed to say, I ate the chocolate shell off a Kinder surprise that's been sitting in the cupboard for months.

So, the "no-sofa" rule gets added into my list, absolutely.

I think it was the fatigue that got me ... I've just got to learn to REST when I'm tired. There's no reason I can't, usually. Ok, I'm adding that to the list, too.

Still and all, though, the no-sofa rule saves me from disaster even when I'm tired because I just don't eat as much when that's all I'm doing. It also takes the impulse component out of this impulsive/compulsive disorder.

On the bright side, I did get in my steps and drank gallons of water. (All that salt!)

Has anyone tried EFT (that tapping thing)? I'm going to give it a shot.

K, time for me to get out for a woods-woggle. And I've got sound at lunchtime today. This will be a good day!

Anagram, I like your list. And it sounds like you had a good (and productive ) visit with DS.

Alright, lies, let's make this a good one!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #65  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

I shouldn't be posting because I am woefully short on time this morning, but I had to share some good news. My ticker finally gets to move again! My breathing isn't 100% yet, but it does feel much closer to controlled, and I think getting off most of those meds allowed weight to shift dramatically. I was prepared (albeit a bit depressed) to face those pounds down and lose sight of them again, but guess they decided to wander off on their own. Maybe the kinder attitude toward myself frightened them away.
I have to run. I don't want to, though. Would be so much nicer to hang out in the castle with my friends and catch up.

Andria
Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #66  

Nice visual, Andria. Stand strong, don't be upset or worried, and those pounds will be scared away. I've not been standing strong lately - in more ways than diet! So glad the breathing is getting better.

However, I'm saying this is Day 2 as yesterday was better than I've been in a loooong while. Not perfect but acceptable. Even ate my dinner at the table last night instead of on a tray. I've decided breakfast and maybe even lunch are ok on tray as I don't overeat then (usually). It's the evening thing and that was my worst time again but I was a little stronger and so was not as destructive. And realized when I started measuring again that I'd been getting in a lot more water than I had realized.

Sun is shining again today - and what a relief just to see its glow after the dankness of yesterday. Not feeling full of vim and vigor yet but that will come.

Arabella, dear, even your "worst" days are probably better than my "best" so just keep on trucking.

So, off to the shower, and then - my first (or second) order of the day will be to Seek Out Some Joy. Joy in the Moment, Joy of Spring, Joy, Joy where e'er I can find it. I know the world is full of Joy when I just keep my eyes and heart open and appreciate it. And I find that a good diet aid.

Last edited by anagram; 05-13-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #67  

Hello all!!

I am back from our trip! It was an experience I will never forget! Amazing....
I thought I knew what to expect but I was so wrong.... The entire Canyon area is so vast, so awe inspiring, so beyond words.... I had no idea.

Vegas was very much as I expected..... in fact, in some ways, after our 2 days in the Canyons, Vegas was the perfect counterpoint for reality check.

I am still dealing with jet lag.... out west we woke up wide awake at 3 am.... now back home, we are having trouble wrenching ourselves out of bed when the alarm goes off....

So, I am doing the nightly ritual now so I am ready for the morning....

I did catch a wonderful line in Anagram's post.... Finding Joy.....
Yes. Yes. Yes. What a wonderful goal. And for me, its not in a cookie or a gooey desset ( Vegas) but in a real emotion.....a puppy hug, beautiful piece of music, making someone smile, etc.....Yes.

Wed Good Morning Thought:

Thought of the day:
"The first step in getting what you want out of life.
Decide what you want."
Ben Stein

Question of the day:

"What is the last thing you purchased that was worth every penny?"

Thanks for being here! Hope you are all doing well!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #68  

Smile Day 2

215.2: I weigh myself every morning and I think it'll help motivation to report on it. So. There you have it. Looking to be at least back to ticker by Friday. I haven't got the salt out of my system yet.

I did bag, yesterday, didn't quite manage pure fun so will have to make sure to do that today. I did successfully fend off the desire to keep eating after lunch -- actually tried the EFT tapping thing. And I'm not sure whether it really did it or whether it was just the distraction that got me through but... whatever. If I can take a placebo that will keep me from overeating -- give me a prescription!

I also managed to meditate, which was the first time in ages. Will do again today, I will.

I've got my writer's group this evening so that will be fun -- but I'm going to have to have my mind made up that I won't eat any of the nibblies.

Kaylets, welcome back! Thanks for the report on your trip. The Grand Canyon sounds like visiting it would be a life-changing experience. It's definitely on my list. We're going to be in Colorado in July. Now I'm wishing I'd pushed to get there. Ah well. Another time we will.

QoD: I bought a pair of red Keen sandals a couple of weeks ago. They're very sporty but cool too. And they're good for walking -- I can actually do my 10k steps in them and not suffer for it.

I really like today's thought, too.

Anagram, you're so sweet! But, no, I'd have to say I'm fairly certain my bad days could go toe-to-toe with yours. Remember that (really big) pan of black bean brownies that I pretty much ate single-handedly? And I could tell you stories about family-size bags of potato chips, etc.

Quote:
Seek Out Some Joy. Joy in the Moment, Joy of Spring, Joy, Joy where e'er I can find it. I know the world is full of Joy when I just keep my eyes and heart open and appreciate it.
Oh, that's so lovely and so true! A friend of mine who's battling a particularly aggressive type of breast cancer said recently that she believes the divine is right there, all the time, trying to reach us and all we have to do is be open.

Andria, congrats on your loss! That's fantastic that you managed to get through the worst of this bronchitis and come out with a pound down! Whooo-hoooooo YOU!!!

K, ly folk. I've got to jump in the shower and hie self to salt mines. Love, love, love!

Last edited by Arabella; 05-14-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #69  

Welcome back, Kaylets! So glad your trip was spectacular - gives you another place to "visit" when meditating.

I'd be too ashamed to tell you some of the naughty things I did the last few months, Arabella! And I'm paying the price. I think for purposes of this challenge I too will report my weigh ins and do them daily. I'm calling this day 3 and I was 206 this morning (just before Christmas I was about 200). However two days ago I was at 210 with all the weekend saltiness - lots of salt used where DS and I went for Mothers Day dinner.

I did get in a very nice walk last (very lovely) evening. I was feeling too tired to go but made me a strong cup of tea and pulled it together and went out and DID it. Also had a very delightful night's sleep and have puttered around so far today doing lots of little odds and ends. My fave kind of day so far.

Yesterday I signed a release which basically will settle the lawsuit re DHs premature demise. While I felt I needed to do it and am satisfied that (at least for a little while) someone will benefit from the action, I am very glad to start putting it all away and will look forward to clearing boxes of records from my dining room. I attribute some of my weight gain, at least, to stresses involved.

Well, off to check the dryer and then decide what I want to do with the afternoon while it's still lovely (rain coming in later).

Good Day in The Palace to all s.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #70  

Thumbs up Day 3, uh-huh

I did it again yesterday

I fended off the desire to keep eating in the afternoon. And this is how we break nasty habits. Headed out for a walk in the sunshine after a very stressful day of work. Indulged myself by wrapping up in an afghan with a cup of chai and an episode of Frazier.

Writer's group was lovely, too. Nice interaction, lots of laughs. We did an exercise where we each took a sheet of paper and wrote a sentence, passed it to the next person who added a sentence and kept going until everyone had put a sentence on each sheet. People were laughing so hard at the results that they were crying. The woman before me literally couldn't read her sheet without collapsing in giggles and had to get me to read it for her.

The next exercise was to list a bunch of turning points in our lives and write about how things might have been if we'd gone the other way. Well. After I got listing, it struck me that much of my life has been determined by a series of poor choices -- and I guess the way I've dealt with the results. All in all, where I am is okay and there's no profit in wishing I'd been wiser. But it was eye-opening, to say the least. I think a lot of the time, I didn't feel like I had choices and fell into the line of least resistance. Other times, I went along with what someone else wanted. So I think the lesson learned is that I have to make sure that I'm making decisions consciously and being true to myself. Heavy stuff. And undoubtedly related to weight issues.

Hmmm... anyway, I woke up feeling positive this morning. On we go!

Anagram I'm so glad you're getting some closure on your darling's death . It would have been hard enough if human error hadn't been involved. And you were valiant to deal with all of the legal issues. Thank goodness that's over with!

There's nothing much nicer than one of those puttery kind of days. That's when I do my best thinking, too.

K, I've got to suit up and get out there and exercise. Will I go for a little run or go to the gym? News at 11.

Let's make this a good one, lies!

Last edited by Arabella; 05-15-2008 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #71  

Well, I got in a good walk today but I'm not thrilled with how it happened. I woke up feeling good and looking forward to a nice little day. Decided to go shopping (good coupon, you know) - didn't need anything special - it was just an outing.

Long story - short. I locked my keys in the car and as I waited for AAA to come with help, I decided to make lemonade and get in my walk for the day. So I walked fairly much in circles so I didn't get too far from the car while I killed at least 40 minutes waiting. That ended the shopping desire

So I'm home now and saying I'm none the worse for wear and I got in some exercise anyway. Sigh.......I was 206.4 this morning. But I did have a nice walkie last night. So this morning's made three days in a row. Food ok, could of course be better.

Sounds like some intriguing exercises, Arabella. The giggles sound good but re the other, not sure i'd want to know - in some cases. I'm sure I've made a lot of bad choices. Fortunately not in DH's case - mostly in career (or lack of) choices. I'm with you on the "go along" part though mostly not in anything of real consequence.

I hear the patio of P/C calling me for at least a short loll. Trying to get my head back where it was before my "big adventure". And it IS a lovely day out there. My next "chore" will be to tackle the basement/laundry room which is sorely in need of some attention. So - patio/basement? Easy choice.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #72  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Good morning

Thank you all for leaving so many things to think about over the last few days. I don't always have time to write during the week, but I have been sneaking in to read. As I've been reading and thinking the last few days, one constant theme kept running through my head; I realized that I've been slipping away from treating myself well.
It isn't terribly unusual for me to catch myself wandering around Depression Flats after an illness, but I usually don't see it for a lot longer. When I feel depressed I don't take care of myself like I should, and it is so easy to regain weight that I've worked hard to lose. That is part of the reason keeping up some sort of accountability is important for me. For instance, I was just realizing yesterday that I am having trouble getting even up to 6k steps a day. I was giving myself the sickie excuse, but I had to acknowledge that even when I could barely breathe, I was still getting in 6-8k. As I acknowledged the steps (or lack of), it was easier to accept the points where food was slipping as well. I've been paying attention to my good attempts, but there are more than enough little slips during the course of a day to add up to one major OOPS by the end.
Basically, I've been trying to fill that sad little void with the one thing it truly does not need: food. What I do need is get myself moving again. There are plenty of good things going on in my life, and I think it is probably time to reflect on those as well. I also need to be more kind to myself and respect the things I cannot change at this time. A babe does not begin by running, and I evidently need to spend more time learning to crawl.
So, my part in the 21 Day Challenge is to find one thing within myself to be grateful for each day. I plan to acknowledge that one thing, and then I plan to celebrate it.
Ok, so enough rambling on about me!

anagram, I hadn't realized there were difficult circumstances surrounding the loss of your DH. I am so impressed with the fortitude and stamina you must have to face down the whole situation and come to a decision as to how you want it handled.
Had a bit of a giggle about your lockout experience if only because I did something so incredibly similar the same evening. I wasn't locked out of the car, but I was trapped in my DDs high school parking lot after an incredibly LONG spring dance show. For some reason, their instructor wouldn't let the girls go right after; they had to wait to be excused, and all the parents were kept waiting an additional 40 minutes. I was soooo tired, but I looked at my pedometer and decided to not sit in the car and just wait. I ended up walking in circles around the car until she called and said they were finally released. Lemonade, to be sure.

Arabella, your Writer's Group sounds like so much fun! Still, I don't envy you the second exercise. Maybe I need to do something like that and then let it all go. Can't change the past, but I can use that knowledge to instruct my future, right?

Kaylets, I am so glad your vacation turned out to be spectacular! As far as the QoD, it would have to be a top I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I was worried about buying it because it wasn't professional wear, and I am really in need of adding to my work wardrobe. Spending money on something for outside of school use seemed frivolous. Still, every time I put that top on, I just feel pretty. Makes it worth every cent.

Ok, time to run get ready for the day. Starting next week I'll be in the same classroom until the end of the year. No more random schools and random classes! Hurray!

Andria
Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #73  

Thumbs up Day 4, it is

And if not quite back to ticker, I'm within hailing distance. The lowest I've gotten was 1 pound lower than this, and that's lower than I've been in some years. Today's official WI. I do believe I'm on my way again and I credit the 21-day challenge. Plus I am finding the daily weight report is really helping when I'm in that decision mode: Will I or won't I?

So. I'm back from WI, have most of my steps in, have been to the gym and done a little yoga. I'm having lunch with sis, niece and mom today. I would walk over but I've got to pick up my mom.

I think I'm going to go out there one of these days and take her a bus schedule and help her figure out how to use it. There's a bus stop one house away from her place and one across the street from the restaurant. She says she hates to have to depend on people for rides every where. To be honest, I think she only hates it when it's difficult to get someone to take her where she wants to go. Well, who wouldn't prefer to be chauffeured if poss? I love my mummy but I do wish she'd be a wee bit more independent.

Anagram, I had that kind of an afternoon yesterday too. I drove out to pick DGS up when he got off the school bus but lo and behold, the school bus did not dispense him but tootled merrily up the road. I gave chase, tearing up the road after it to try and catch it at the next stop and talk to the driver. I was unbuckling my seat belt as I raced along and flung myself out the door as he paused to let off a couple of kids. I ran up to the doors, "Noah MacDonald" I panted. Wasn't he on the bus? No, the driver said he hadn't been.

So I turned and drove back to his school, where I found he'd gone on the bus with his cousin. Raced back to town to have the car home for DH who had an appointment.

It turned out that Noah's mom didn't get the message that I was keeping Noah last night.

All that frantic action and uncertainty is just the kind of thing that might have had me face down in the feed bag but, nope. Instead, since I had extra time (no DGS) I did the vacuuming and swiped at the bathrooms. Headed out and got the last of my walk quotient in. And then after dinner I did the grocery shopping. So that's stuff I would have had on my plate for today all done

But I suppose I still have to work. Off I go, then. Let's make it a good one lies!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #74  

Hey Andria! I had my post window open for such a long time you'd been in and written in the interim.

I like your goal for the challenge.

In terms of that second exercise, it was kind of painful. But as you say, instructive. The main lesson I need to take with it is that I've got to be true to myself and not let passivity or the forcefulness of others steamroll me into making decisions that aren't right for me.

Congrats on your gig to the end of the school year!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #75  
wsw

hi all! i was going to wait to post until my writing was better, but i need to just jump in "as is," as it were. i've missed you, lovely royals. ms technical difficulties have been giving me quite a challenge lately, but i am feeling better now. andria-glad your breathing has improved. talk about a challenge! what you said was very enlightening and inspiring. arabella-great job on not falling in to the feedbag after the merry chase for dgs, etc. anagram-glad to hear legal battle is finally behind you now. it must have been so draining emotionally to have had to deal with it for so long. you are indeed a strong and noble spirit. hello to kaylets-glad your trip was so nice. scenery must have been gorgeous. and hello to kat, and all our royal dwellers. i will be back when have a little more energy. hugs to all.
Closed Thread