Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #196  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Mel -- I hope you don't mind me asking....but I'm really curious. Just what is in the package that Happy sent you? Books of some kind? That's funny about Jen. I've given up hope of fitting into my skinniest clothes - which would be a size 7 from when I was 18. But I'd be thrilled to be in size 14s. I keep telling myself, it will happen. It will just take time. My thighs and calves are getting more tone....and eventually my tummy and rear end will catch up.

Annie - That's a shame you felt so bad yesterday and had such a lousy day. I hope you're feeling better today, despite the monthlies. I guess it is true that after having bariatric surgery you have to eat smaller meals. Is it true you can't have soda or alcohol (including beer)? That's what I've heard. But I don't know enough to separate fact from fiction. Does bariatric surgery tend to give you um....loose stools (Sorry if that's too personal a question). I know there are some weight loss drugs and supplements that have a side effect of loose stools and/or leaky anal discharge.

Okay...enough of talking sh*t. One of my co-workers mentioned that they noticed the huge snow piles have gotten smaller (where the plows have piled up all the snow from the winter), and he saw a red winged blackbird. And we'll be taking our fishing boat out of storage in 2 weeks. And Baseball Opening Day is in 3 weeks. I just keep telling myself that spring is right around the corner.

My mother in law (who is wonderful and we get along great) is coming in early May to stay for a couple months. So I'm going to work hard on the weekends to get all my spring cleaning, dejunking and organizing done before she gets here so then I can enjoy the time she's here and better weather by doing fun stuff with her.

Well, lunch break is just about over. I had a yummy big salad with Fat Free Italian Dressing and a cup of homemade vegetarian vegetable soup. Now it's time to get back to work. Just about 4 hours left until my weekend!!

Hugs to all the Worldly Chicks!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #197  

Height: 5'5"

Hello to all. Sorry annie...but I couldn't help but laugh. That is too funny, your boss would not know what to say!!!!

I am still here, finally caught up on reading all the posts!!! YOu ladies all chat too much!!! LOL Been in a funk lately, had TOM and have not gone to the gym at all this week...the kids are missing it, so they are pestering me, so will go this weekend. Food has been ok. Have to run back to HOmedepot for a small piece of baseboard, but not pressing as it is behind the counter, and not seen. My hand is doing well, still a little sore from all the cutting and pressing. The next project is to reface the cabinets, will rent a sander and strip the stain, then DH and I will order new doors and Drawers.

Took me much longer to catch up will post indies later. Luv and hugs!!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #198  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry I seldom get to post personals but you are a really chatty bunch, even worse than the Beachers. I don't have TOM anymore so I guess I just have poopy pants to looks forward to! Sorry to laugh but it struck me and took my mind off what I was going to complain about. I tripped on the dog's dish and twisted the blasted knee so am sitting here with ice on it!

The good news is that it's 44ºF right now and I think I can see the snow mountains shrinking. I also nearly finished a wallhanging I've been working on since January. As soon as it's all done, up it goes to cheer up my kitchen entry.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #199  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Oh no Ruth, that will slow down the process somewhat. Hope you can get back to see the Dr soon to ensure you haven't done further damage. Hope you didn't hurt anything else when you fell either.
Good job that the snow mountains are shrinking. Spring will come soon.

Madcat - so sorry to hear about the dear mans illness. I hope that he gets so much better soon and is back to his cheerful self in no time. Painful things stones. But apart from that, it's good to hear that it was a relaxing and balmy holiday - bet you took ages to pack to come home. I don't wanna go yet.........!

Annie - how funny.... well I guess it wasn't for you really. I'm with Ruth. Don't get the Monthlies (thank heaven et al) so I have the other to look forward to as well. Aaaahh doncha just love the curve balls life throws at you. Bet you don't overeat in a while.

Yeah Mel and Happy what's the secrecy about the package. You are not sending naughty stuff through the US Mail are you???? I may have to come on over again and smack you about the ears!!!

Mel - Jen is so slim that 2lbs wouldn't show would it??? Anyway, my love to her and Richie and ask her what she is doing to put this weight on. I will not do the same and see if I can lose some. The recipe sounds quite nice but it would be good to know what I am eating. Pierogis?? Kielbasa?? At least Sauerkraut is the same here.
Tell the grandson that some of his relatives are nesting in my Grevillea tree. They have a fight every daybreak and then settle down to the lovey dovey bits but what a noise around six in the morning. Add to that, the cockatoos fly over around the same time and they have never been known to keep the beak shut and there are a bunch of Eastern Rosellas that squawk their way to the feeding grounds as well. Aussies are noisy. This scenario is repeated in reverse at sundown. Only the Galahs remain silent - that's because they are busy pulling something to pieces no doubt. Destructive mob them.

Rennie - no problems with ideas on how to squelch people! I can think of those in 1 instant and then the mind really gets on the job.
Happy is right - you do need some fats in the diet. Nuts are a good source because like avocado, they contain good fats. However anything must be kept in moderation. Too much of one thing and the merry-go-round starts again. It's a hard road we tread. But you are doing so well with the weight loss, you must be doing something right. Carry on lady.

Happy - glad to hear that the hairdresser went okay. Shame about the Chinese food and the salt intake. It does have a big effect unfortunately. Chinese shops don't seem to have heard of lo salt soy. Actually I made a beef stirfry myself last night - it is from the CSIRO Diet. I cut down on the amount of meat as usual and it was delish - even the DS2 said so. I didn't tell him it was diet food! No sense in wasting an entirely perfect dish. I'll put the recipe up later - it's fairly quick and easy to make too.

My DS2 came home last night from work. He was smelly (as usual) and dirty and greasy and he went and got in the shower. When he came out he asked if I wanted a can of drink and I said that there wasn't enough there and he should have them. I don't really need the sugar (Canadian club whiskey and dry ginger ale (we go for the Canadian stuff in this house)) And he sighed loudly and said 'if I didn't want you to have a can then I wouldn't ask you. But you are my awesome mother and I want you to have a drink with me.
Crikey, I nearly fell off my chair. Awesome mum??? Me??? I had to go give him a hug, but that was enough emotion for my gruff sometimes uncommunicative but very bright son! He had dinner with me and disappeared off to friends - where no doubt he tanked up on Maccas or some other rubbish! And he is now back at work and will no doubt appear some time tonight all smelly and dirty again.

Okay - time to get off here. Gym beckons once more. No Body Balance this morning - the room is being used to train more bloody minded instructors in the art of the Body Attack program. So I will have to motivate myself on the treadmill and bike or maybe weights - I'll see how I feel when I get there.

Bye y'all and don't forget to sweat!!!! Don't care how you do it as long as you do it.

Last edited by Shad; 03-14-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #200  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Ruth - meant to ask. If the snow mountains are shrinking in downtown Delta, do you think Ottawa will have a somewhat similar thaw and Carla will be able to post more regularly because the snow and ice will have gone from her igloo????
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #201  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Shad
I had thought about bed bugs but I try to be nice lol

Ruth
Oh my gosh, be careful and get that check out as soon as you can.

Melody
Just do a little each day until you are done with the house. Don't push yourself to much. We don't want you to get sick or hurt yourself.

Annie
Oh a thousand things came to my mind that you could have said to him but I won't type them lol.

Di
It is going to be pretty nice here this weekend too in the 40's and rain rain rain lol. Guess that means I won't go and sit and watch the eye candy at the local car wash this weekend. Darn, I don't remember them growing boys like that when I was a kid lol.

Happy
I understand about good fat and bad fat but one can still only have so much fat. I happen to like walnuts from time to time. Think I am going to make animals and rice tonight. I could eat that stuff everyday lol.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #202  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Rennie - the people at the Humane Society said you can't call it animals and rice anymore - lol

Please do pass along the recipe Shad. Always looking for something new - just no funny Oz veggies and metric measurements

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-14-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #203  

I'm sure someone has said what animals and rice is, but I've forgotten, and with all this talk of creepy-crawlies my mind is taking me to some pretty nasty places....
Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #204  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

carla
Animals and rice is rice and what ever animal you want to toss it in lol. I happen to use pork, beef and chicken.

Happy
Just about anything tastes good with a little open pit covering it lol.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #205  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

OHHH ANNIE...MY HEART BROKE READING YOUR POST. I HAVE HAD DAYS LIKE THAT... WHAT CAN I SAY BUT SEND MORE HOPE YOU ARE FEELING MUCH BETTER TODAY. WTF KIND OF DAY WAS THAT? RIP IT OFF THE CALENDAR AND TOSS IT IN THE TRASH!!

MICHELLE~ HAPPY TYPED SOME OF THE BOOK "100 DAYS TO WEIGHTLOSS" IN LARGE PRINT ...IF YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT....AND MAILED IT TO ME ALONG WITH THE DOWNLOADED/AND SHE PRINTED THE 117 PAGE JOURNAL THAT IS THE COMPANION TO THE BOOK! I COULD NOT THINK OF ONE PERSON I KNOW OFF THE NET THAT WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR ME...WELL MAYBE ONE. I AM STILL BLURRY EYED A BIT AND WE WANTED TO GET STARTED....SO HAPPY TOOK MATTERS INTO HER OWN HANDS. GLAD YOU HAVE A NICE VISIT WITH THE MIL COMING UP. AND I AM SEEING SIGNS OF SPRING...THE LANDSCAPERS WERE HERE TO ASSESS THE WINTER DAMAGES!! !

HAPPY~ I SEE STORMS OF HUGE PROPORTIONS HEADED AND ALREADY IN NASHVILLE BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES MY FRIEND. I WILL BE THINKING OF ALL OF YOU SOUTHERN BELLES THIS WEEKEND. I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES LAST NIGHT WITH ATLANTA!! THEY EVEN LOST PARTS OF 100 + YEAR OLD BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN ALSO. THEY HAD "PANCAKE" EFFECT DAMAGE WHERE THE TORNADO FLATTENED DOWN THE TOP FLOORS! I WAS GLUED TO THE TV TILL WELL AFTER MIDNIGHT! WHEN I WOKE AND LOOKED AT THE 3-TING BINDER I MADE LAST NIGHT...I WAS TOUCHED ALL OVER AGAIN BY THE GENEROSITY OF YOUR TIME SPENT DOING THIS. I ALSO READ THE BEGINNING QUICK START!!! I AM EXCITED BUT A LITTLE SCARED. I THINK IT'S THE THOUGHT OF "CHANGE". GOTTA GET A GRIP MEL!!

I tripped on the dog's dish and twisted the blasted knee so am sitting here with ice on it!_ OMG!!!! RUTH,
I AM VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS AND PRAY IT IS MUCH BETTER THIS MORNING!! NOW MAYBE WE SHOULD WRAP YOU UP IN MY BUBBLE WRAP UNTIL THE THE HEALING PROCESS IS OVER WITH!!!

SHAD...I WISH HAPPY HAD SENT CONTRABAND BUT MAYBE IF YOU BELT ME ABOUT THE EARS I WILL BEHAVE BETTER!!
AND AWWWWW...HOW CUTE THE DS IS WITH HIS LOVE OF HIS MUM!!! THEY ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO SURPRISE THE CRAP OUT OF US!!! I HAVE TRIED TO WATCH A TAPE OF THE PARROTS OF AUSTRALIA BUT THE GRANDSON GOES WACKO EVERY TIME I TRY. EVEN WHEN HE'S ASLEEP HE CAN HEAR THEM!! AND YOU ARE RIGHT.......

15 MINUTES OF ANY KIND OF EXERCISE....AT LEAST!!!! THAT'S NOT ASKING TOO MUCH OF ANY OF US!!!

RENNIE....I'M BEING GOOD MOM...I PROMISE!!

CARLA....DID YOU HAVE TO ASK THAT QUESTION??? NOW I AM SEEING YOUR AVATAR MIXED IN WITH THE RICE GET READY!!! WE'RE GOING ON A JOURNEY!! SO GAS UP THE TANK

IT'S ALREADY RAINING. THE POOR WEATHER MAN HASN'T BEEN RIGHT ON TARGET IN WHO KNOWS WHEN. TODAY IS THE SENIOR'S BIG EASTER PARTY!! YAY!!! ONE QUIET BUILDING COMING UP!! THEY WILL COME HOME WITH A SUGAR RUSH AND TOO FULL BELLY, GO TO SLEEP AND DRAG THEIR SORRY BUTTS TOMORROW AND SLEEP ALL DAY! AND THE ACCOUNTANTS HAVE CANCELLED AS THE MEETING IS POSTPONED.
I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF SOME KIND OF ALLERGY ATTACK. I LEFT THE WINDOW OPENED A WEE BIT LAST NIGHT AND WOKE WITH THIS. MYUST BE ALL THE BUILDING SUPPLIES THAT GOT DELIVERED BESIDE ME. THEY ARE ACTUALLY MAKING THE FIRST FLOOR NOW. GUESS IF I WANT FRESH AIR, I'LL HAVE TO TURN ON THE A/C
I NEED TO GET MY OATMEAL. ALREADY HAD ONE SMOKE ALARM THIS MORNING. THANK GOD FOR HOLIDAY PARTIES
HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY!! HAPPY WEEKEND

Last edited by MELODY525; 03-15-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #206  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

RECIPE #48.

Beat eggs in bowl, then stir in crumbled goat cheese and chopped tomatoes; scramble as usual. Serve on buttered toast.

SHAD HERE THEY ARE:

PIEROGIES: "a pierogi is a thin layer of dough wrapped around a filling" USUALLY CHEESE AND POTATO OR ONION AND POTATO. SOME COMPANIES GET FANCY. MUCH LIKE A RAVIOLI BUT HEAVIER DOUGH.
A BIT CHEWY.

KIELBASA~ POLISH SAUSAGE THAT IS LESS THAN A FOOT LONG AND USUALLY CURVED.

Last edited by MELODY525; 03-15-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #207  

Height: 5'5"

Morning Ladies! NOt much going on here today...DH has some work to finish up and Choir practice at church. I am going to try to get my mom out to the mall, DD1 wants her ears pierced for her b-day, and mom offered to get them done. I will have to get back on the horse soon, I need to get my butt to the gym, but that will have to wait until Monday (maybe Sunday, but I don't want to press my luck).

Mel~It is gray and dreary here. Hope spring comes soon for all of us. Hope there are no more smoke alarms in your day!

Shad~what a nice thing for your DS to say. hope you both enjoyed your drink!

Ruth~take car of your knee and call the Doc soon to let him know. Wouldn't want something small to derail your recovery.

Michelle~take it slowly, a whole house can overwhelm you! LOL

Happy~I never weigh in after Chinese food, too much salt, always makes me retain water. but I still can't avoid the occasional treat. I want to get my hair colored again, but I don't have the time/money for it right now. I have very sensitive skin, so doing it myself would not be good. Hope you like your new 'do!

OK have to run and call mom. Also can't forget market day pickup. off to shower.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #208  

Default A Good March Morning to you all

Hello everyone...... spring is suppose to be coming with the two nice days last week I had all this horrible energy from distress that I started to oil my logs outside .....now it is snowing every day so that project will have to wait. I don't know if I reported that my nephew had his first child....a little beautiful baby boy....so I am a Grand Aunt for the first time.....it is very exciting for all of us. The situation with my oldest son is still unresolved but he seems to be taking appropriate steps to find the money he will need......I am just grateful that his wonderful girlfriend is standing beside him. It has brought the fued between my sons to a close also...... so that gives my heart some piece of mind. I think being a mother is more difficult once the are older.....not when they are still guarded in your nest.........
I have been so enjoying my birdies on my deck....more are showing up all the time and it keeps me entertained.
I have been working on my treadmill but a few evening have been so nice that Toby and I have been going to an old track and making the rounds...... I am so convinced that watching that scale slows down motivation so I am not going there for a while..... just trying to sweat like Shad told us too!!!!!
Nice to see so many faces here.... always make me smile.....
Take care everyone and have a great weekend........
Happy St. Patty's Day......
Peace,
Nae
Old 03-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #209  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Stormy weather....

Howdy chicks. Lotsa weather out here today. Bad storms just north of us but very close. Like if I got in the car and drove 10 minutes north - BOOM! It's getting very dark and gray at the moment - scary so, better turn on the weather and check. After last month's tornado, I am taking this spring weather a bit more seriously. Just heard a crash of thunder. We were supposed to go to the Humane Society today but may put it off until later this afternoon.

Congrats on the new baby Nae.

Ellen, my scalp is usually irritated after coloring too but I found that if I don't wash my hair the day of the coloring and I wash it the day after that helps. You aren't supposed to wash your hair the day you color it so that it doesn't wash away the natural oils which protect your scalp. I also find washing it the next day helps get some of the lingering irritating residue off. I also had to give up the lighter blond colors which are much harsher on the skin. When I had that fabulous red one time, my scalp was so irritated that I had to use some special oil the hairdresser gave me. Doesn't look too cool when you are walking around scratching your itchy head constantly. And for me, I just don't want to walk around gray. If I had enough gray that it had a nice frosted effect, well maybe.

I have Valerie Bertinelli's biography "Losing It" sitting on the desk here. She has such fabulous hair. I was watching her on Oprah and she was showing pictures of her younger days and she said - boy, I'd kill for hair like that again. Oprah looked at her because there she sat with this beautiful mane of hair and she laughed, touched her hair and said - oh this??? This is NOT REAL and started laughing. I need to get me some of that fake hair. I also read that 50 percent of the people in Hollywood have hair extensions to fluff things up a bit.

Ooh Mel - those pierogis and Polish sausage look good. My mom used to make homemade pierogis but hasn't in years. It's too much work to make just a few and they are not diet friendly and DH won't touch them so I guess the know how on how to make them will end with her. Sad. Love that fresh Polish sausage (as opposed to smoked sausage). Have to go back home to Chicago to get the good stuff. There's a little mom and pop store next to where we used to live when we first got married. The actress Jenny McCarthy worked there when she was in high school. The butcher who must be as old as Yoda has been making fresh Polish sausage every Wednesday since the beginning of time. It is the best. I went there at Christmas to pick up some for dinner and although the neighborhood is Hispanic now and the store is owned by Hispanics, the guy told me that he still employs the butcher to make sausage every week. They don't sell much in the deli counter any more and pretty much stopped selling fresh cuts of meat but they probably make half their income from the sausage. And at four dollars a pound, that's alot of sausage to sell. But I digress. Good stuff - and since I only get it twice a year, I don't feel badly about eating it.

Mel - you be careful too. Nasty weather headed your way I see. I was glad to type the materials for you, and no, I don't type fast - even with a lifetime of typing on a keyboard for a living. Just easier to backspace and correct mistakes on a computer rather than a typewriter. I am eager to get started on the 100 Days program. Mel and friends will be my partners in crime to keep me honest and sticking with things I even told DH about it when we were out walking last night.

Shy - I have to agree about that darned good Open Pit BBQ sauce stuff. Memphis is supposed to be the BBQ capital which makes for good meat but I have not found a sauce I like down here yet. Learning to eat the stuff with just a dry rub seasoning which I guess is probably better since the BBQ sauces contain so much sugar. Probably why they are so tasty.

Shad - that's so sweet with the DS. Has to be sort of sad being a mum when they get old enough that they feel wierd about being affectionate. And it wasn't a diet stir-fry - it was healthy eating. Even young strapping men need to learn to eat healthy.

Ruth - take care of that knee. Always one of the dangers of trying to heal up is those little slips and bumps that we take for granted that happen in everyday life and can be devistating otherwise. Hope you feel better soon.

Michelle- your hair to to your waist? Wowie girl - that's some pony tail! LOL. Glad to hear you MIL is coming back out. I know how much you enjoy your time with her. That's good to hear your calves are toning. It seems like some body parts - like hands and calves would never get smaller once they puffed up but that's good to know. Myself, one day I would like to have a straight up and down leg.

Annie - I am still laughing over your story. It's a mixture of laughing because you just have to while you are also empathising and the person because oh man - can it GET much worse - I do appreciate you being so forthright in describing your post surgical life. I have heard alot about WLS and know 3 people who have had it. What I didn't know was all the little things that you have to deal with even years later - like taking the vitamins and having levels of things checked on a regular basis. Most of the info we hear are the immediate post surgical stuff. I always wondered, as much as I failed with dieting, would I be able to make and maintain the adjustments needed to address a totally new lifestyle that brings. Like no Coca Cola ever again. The folks I know all said it was worth it - even the one who has had 5 additional surgeries to repair things or fix problem issues. But anyway, I'm glad you were able to make it through with a and see the humorous side of it.

Well DH is getting hungry and mentioned that today would be a better day to go and do our volunteer work. Last week we worked another section of the cat area where the cat "condos" are. They are stacked 2 high and the kitties on the upper side were sticking their arms out of the cages reaching out to us for attention. *sniff, sniff* - how CAN you ignore that kind of thing? Motivates me to make time to go there each week.

Must be too that it's going to storm all day because our cat who were normally be out running the chipmunks out of the yard is instead all curled up in her blanket sleeping the day away.

So it's off to make some lunch and go pet kitties. Have a good weekend ladies.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

morning chicks.

Happy- Sunshine is coming your way. It's here now at my house.,
That was so sweet of you to do this for Mel

Annie
I would have gone back home, and called in sick.I do keep some extra clothes just in case though. I never know when the diverticuli are going to act up.

Ruth
Ouch on the knee. Be sure to call the doctor by tomorrow if it's not better.

Madcat
hope the dh is feeling better.

Mel
Take it easy on the cleaning and don't over do

Nae
Good to see you again.

Hello to the rest.

My work stress has gone. It took two sessions at the gym to do it. I'm talking to the boss Monday about how to handle some issues.
Also got my hair colored today. I'm my natural color again, brunette. Happy I don't like the gray either. Makes me feel old.

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 03-15-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: I changed the font size from 1 to normal so I could read it. It was too hard on my old eyes!
Closed Thread