Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #136  
Takin' charge of my life!

Welcome to our little area of 3fc Bree!! Hope you find your way back often as we seem to have a great bunch here!

That is crazy Cindy!! But if Davey works for you I say go for it!

Sarah, definitely walking around the mall with your mum counts!!

Thanks for well wishes, I am starting to feel better...I actually got in a 60 minute walk this evening!
And also, thank you for the continued grats on the loss! I just hope I can keep it up! You all are my motivation to keep going!! I see each of us struggling at some point but everyone picking each other up! You gals rock!
Andi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #137  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Glad to hear you are feeling better Andi! Don't you just hate when you get sick and it throws a monkey wrench in your fitness plans? Important thing is to get right back to it and boy, a 60 minute walk. You're the one who rocks!

Well, I spent 50 minutes on Davey yesterday and boy did he tire me out! I shouldn't have any trouble meeting our 900 minute goal. (I'm really not perverted. It's just my semi-twisted sense of humor.)

We have the high school homecoming parade and football game tonight (my daughter is in the marching band) then the homecoming dance tomorrow night. It's going to be a busy two days.
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #138  
Cindy

Recently published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Two groups (82 women in each).
Group 1: Twice-weekly strength training.
Group 2 (control): Received brochures recommending 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise on most days and focused on walking.

There were no dietary changes involved.

Strength Training Program (Group 1)
First 16 weeks supervised by a trainer and included a circuit of "isotonic resistance machines" followed by free weights (introduced over time). The sessions lasted 1 hour and were twice weekly. Weights consisted of 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions.

Results
Group 1 lost 3.68% of total body fat versus only a 0.14% drop in the control group (Group 2). Intra abdominal fat increased in Group 1 by 7% -vs- 21.4% in the control Group 2 (yikes).

The purpose of the research was to see whether strength training could affect this figure. What it seems to show is that strength training can alter body composition in a positive way (by helping to minimize abdominal fat gain).

The Downside
What the research doesn't show is how (or if) the women changed their dietary habits. Also; the adherence (to the strength training program) dropped to 61% in the second year. The research applies to overweight or obese pre-menopausal women and was conducted over two years.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #139  
bringing sexy back

S/C/G: 241/ticker/140

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralou View Post
Still, tomorrow is a new day.
This really struck a nerve with me this morning. Yesterday I didn't feel up to walking or riding the bike, and I was feeling already like a failure. Reading this, I feel much much better about this new day ahead of me!

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I am looking forward to October. It's the start of a lot of changes for my husband and I, and I'm ready to get it underway. I'm also interested to see what if any progress I've made this week. I've never looked forward to a weigh in before.

Tonight we have a date to go to the movies, and I'm nervous. I love popcorn and candy and soda - and have no willpower yet. Please think all the good thoughts you can... I'm going to need it. It's the last time we'll get to do something like this for awhile, he starts a new job on Monday that gets him up 2 hours earlier in the morning.

Oh, and I am so tired of being the big girl!
mommy2monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #140  
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2monkeys View Post
Oh, and I am so tired of being the big girl!
I took a peek at your counter and WOW, you've accomplished so much. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm proud of you.

As for the movie, would it be the end of the world if you bought yourself a small bag of popcorn (maybe skip the butter)? NO, it's not. We all need a treat every so often. Another option is to bring your own treats. Sneak them in in your purse/bag. It's hard. Believe me, I know.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #141  
bringing sexy back

S/C/G: 241/ticker/140

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
I took a peek at your counter and WOW, you've accomplished so much. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm proud of you.

As for the movie, would it be the end of the world if you bought yourself a small bag of popcorn (maybe skip the butter)? NO, it's not. We all need a treat every so often. Another option is to bring your own treats. Sneak them in in your purse/bag. It's hard. Believe me, I know.
You're too sweet, thank you! I can't take credit for a lot of that, most of it came off just from nursing. I'm starting to wean him now (he's 1 in November) and at the very, very least I don't want to see the scale creeping back up.

That's a good idea to take things with me. At the very least I've decided I have to work off whatever I indulge in tonight. I need to name the bike, we just don't have that great of a bond yet!
mommy2monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #142  

Wink

Good morning ladies, just wanted to say hello and TGIF!!!

Thankfully I am back at 100% and ready to go in terms of our challenge.

I will be joining a gym on Monday because the only time I can realistically squeeze exercise in is during my lunch hour...it's something I have carefully thought about in over the last few weeks and now I feel ready to go and am motivated to go. I plan to start off going three times a week and see how it goes.

The best part of the gym is that no one from my office goes there so there won't be that weird creeped out by seeing my co-workers in their unmentionables (or worse, lol) factor I'll admit that I am a bit nervous about going by myself but I am sure once I get comfortable by actually going on a regular basis those jitters will go away.

I think we have had a great week in terms of keeping our group going and I am looking forward to sharing many milestones with you guys.

pinkislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #143  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermavis View Post
I don't konw if you all have On demand TV where you are, I know Sara said not in England, but if you do, check out the Exercise on Demand feature, really cool. You can order videos if you want or you can just do theirs. They actually have a spot on their website where it will just choose 3 or 5 days worth of workouts for you. Great for those like me who have no idea what they are doing!!
I so wish I knew about this before now!!! Half of my Turbo Jam videos are on there and some that I was debating on buying like HipHop Abs and a few other ones.

Quote:
I am a little bummed. I went to the Dr yesterday, don't think I mentioned prior but I had surgery a few weeks back. I have a ton of stitches in my leg so that may slow me down a bit for a challenge, and now it is infected so I can't do a darn thing according to the Dr. no walking, still no driving (that is driving me crazy) , no work, blah, blah. But I will start when I am cleared and see if I can get to our 900 goal by the end of the month. In the meantime I will continue to eat clean and do upper body workouts on exercise TV and see if I can get most of my 30 minutes in there.
Sorry to hear about your surgery. I had knee surgery 4 years ago to repair a torn meniscus. Every now and then I get pain in the knee again but it is actually better than before I had the surgery... Dr thought he would only be able to repair it to 80% of what it was, think it was actually like 105%! I was watching On Demand and see you can view videos on exercisetv.tv as well... can see if they have additional videos there that would work for you...I saw On Demand had "Tank Top Arms" I am so going to be trying that!!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Happy Friday !!! I am so glad I stumbled across you all!

Andi, I know what you mean about the exercise TV, I had no idea we had that until DH was channel surfing. It is so cool, I will probably still buy some of the ones I like, but at least I can try them first, I am not sure how often they change it up, I assume some come off every month , we shall see!!

Surgery sucks, but I am getting better everyday. Now it's just to get the infection clear so that the antibiotics go away. I am actually really, really proud of myself, I lost a pound last week and another this week and that is really good for me between being home and not being able to do any cardio.

Usually when I am home I graze all day long! Yup, graze, just like a cow!!

Pink- good for you enjoy that gym time. Don't worry, I used to hate to go to they gym alone, but then you get zoned in and you really may learn to prefer it. I know when I am talking to someone I don't work as hard as when I am there alone.

Mommy - enjoy the date with your husband!! They are few and far between w 2 babies! I'm with Cindy, have a treat, just decide what it's going to be and stick to that.

Cindy- enjoy the busy homecoming weekend. Ours is in 2 weeks! I am going to spend this weekend deciding what to call my elliptical, maybe Earl!

Talk to y'all soon
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #145  

congrats on the weightloss mothermavis! I know I put on a bit of weight when I was home laid up because of my knee. I hope your infection clears up quickly! *thinking healthy and quick recovery thoughts for you*
Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #146  
Cindy

Quote:
Cindy- enjoy the busy homecoming weekend. Ours is in 2 weeks! I am going to spend this weekend deciding what to call my elliptical, maybe Earl!
Hmmmm, Earl? Is there something you haven't told us? I talk to mine/Davey just to amuse myself.

Get ready for our weigh in on monday girls!
Old 09-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

No secrets, you even know what I weigh!! DH doesn't even know that!!

Here's to Monday...
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #148  

Wink

Quote:
No secrets, you even know what I weigh!! DH doesn't even know that!!

Here's to Monday...

This one made me giggle MM because it's true, I would rather give mine any other number in the universe besides that one

Here's to Monday being our group kick off and another stepping stone in the right direction!
pinkislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 170/155/120

Height: 4'11"

I'm a day behind you with weigh in for me on Tuesdays but I"m hoping we all see positive results this week. I've been down and out with a cold the last couple days. Have gotten no excercise at all except a finger workout on the remote. I wish I had someone to walk with. I see tons of people walking with a friend and I'm jealous. Most of my friends are really fit and never excercise. Going to to change my pic so you guys have a face with a name... might take me awhile. I'm terrible with computers.
JC83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 170/155/120

Height: 4'11"

Alright! I did it... and I also added my myspace page in case anyone wants to view more pics/get to know me better. I don't check it that often so don't get offended if I don't add you or answer back very quickly.
JC83 is offline   Reply With Quote