Old 05-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #16  

Good morning all! It is supposed to be a beautiful sunny day in our neighborhood and in the 80's today. The pool opens a week from Monday and I am looking forward to that.

I got a call from our dil last night and she said she is officially on maternity leave. When I spoke to her on Monday, she said she was going to work through the weekend so that her partner doesn't have to do it since he is going to be covering for her while she is on maternity leave, but she had a dr appt and she may have told her no go. I know she measured at 38 instead of 37 weeks so they think around Memorial Day would be the day. That would be good for us as Jack wouldn't have to burn a vacation day that day. Bad part would be the kennel isn't open on a holiday so we wouldn't be able to get Fortune over there and would have to take him with. He isn't a problem except their dogs are so rambunctious and Fortune isn't. Our friend's have a huge brown lab, but he is an angel and wouldn't bother Fortune at all except Fortune is afraid of him. So, we shall see what happens when the time comes.

We were going to go see Pirates of the Caribbean this weekend, but it doesn't come out until next weekend. Bummer! Johnny Depp does a great job and they are pretty funny movies.

Jean: Yes, I sent my sil her birthday present priority on March 19th or something like that so she would get it by her birthday on March 28. They required someone to be home to take the package and no one was so they left a slip. She says she never got one, but that family is so disorganized it doesn't surprise me. After two weeks and no one picking it up, Jack called her and asked if she wanted them to redeliver and she said she would go pick it up. Well, by April 22nd he called again and she still hadn't picked it up saying it was because she didn't have the slip so I emailed her all the information to her office while he was talking to her on the phone so I wouldn't forget. Well, the 11th of May the box showed up here unclaimed so I spent $9 on a package that went to TX, sat in their post office for 6 weeks and came back here. Now I am sending it snail postage with the gift card in a regular envelope sent separately and like I said, if the box comes back, I am keeping the handbag. You know me, I love handbags and this is a beautiful soft leather in a very light butter color. It is a gorgeous bag and I would love to have it if she doesn't want it. Believe me, I have learned my lesson and from now on it is gift cards to her or nothing.
It won't be long and you will be done for the year and a lady of leisure for a few months. What will you do with yourself??? When do you guys plan on going up to the cabin this year? Are you going to take a trip somewhere else while you are out of school?

I have 4 strips all sewn together now on the blanket and am finishing the last one. I don't need a 6th one. It will make the blanket too big I think and Jack concurred so maybe I can get it done this weekend or at least by the first of the week and get the border crocheted on it. Then, I have to try and get him an earflap hat done, but I have to buy circ needles for that one as I don't have the right size. I also have to get the right yarn. I do see where I could easily make it on straights and then sew a seam so I may do that instead.

Well, I want to do my morning chores before Jack gets up. It is dusting and vacuuming for me upstairs today. Have a great Thursday everyone!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and no wind again today! The school day was long and so boring. Some of the kids are opting for summer school and have shut down completely while others plan to retake the classes next year. We've tried to talk and reason with them, but they seem to think they know more that we do. We'll see. I figure if they don't do the work when extra help is available, they certainly won't do it in summer school when it is basically "do it yourself." One kid tried to convince me that he was going to take speech and I just laughed at him because I know there is no speech in summer school and the speech teacher isn't about to make an exception for him. He's rather cocky and I can hardly wait to check with him next fall.

"Gma" -- OK, did you tell us the birthday gift story once before? I'm sure I would have remembered it or at least I think I would have. What a pain in the you-know-where! I think I would keep the purse and go with the gift card. We used to exchange with Bob's brothers and sister after everyone moved away and it just got to be too much. I even send money for wedding gifts thinking they can buy whatever they choose and something they either need or want. Postage has gotten so expensive! I just checked on the doll stroller status . . . the one that was not available plus the one I reordered for a kick are both showing as being processed. I still have the email saying it was not available and had been cancelled so they had better not charge me for two of the same thing!

I guess we are having company over the long weekend so I need to do some quick cleaning in the extra bedroom upstairs. I was looking forward to a quiet weekend.

Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #18  

Good morning gals! I hope to have nice sunny weather to run errands today. I am going to get that blasted gift mailed back to my sil. I still have not heard from her and it is closing in on 2 weeks now. She told Jack she is sending my son and dil a gift card for the baby, but I will believe it when I see it. If they don't have the money, then just send a card. Jay certainly won't care as they just keep getting more and more gifts and she pretty much has everything they need and more. She never sent Kelly even a card for Thomas nor did she send even cards for either of the girl's wedding or baby showers or their weddings for that matter. I have begged her several times to send me her son's address, who is in Afghanistan in the Army so that I can send him a nice fat care package, but I haven't gotten that either. Her olded dd is getting married in August and I don't know if we will get an invite or even information so I can send them a gift. I don't even know Michelle's fiancee's name. I do know she has major problems in her home, but still how much time does it take to email someone.

I started and finished the earflap hat yesterday and it turned out just adorable. I sure do miss my digital camera at this time. I have a knitting online friend who told me how to make a pompom and for the first time, mine actually turned out. They usually come out like tassels instead, but she doesn't use the cardboard technique and the way she does it worked. the hat is the Cub Scout blue with a 2 inch gold stripe in the middle. I did a double crochet all the way around the hat in the gold, the pompom is half gold, half blue and the ties are gold and blue braided with short tassels on the ends. It was super easy to do and I even ripped 3/4 of the hat completely out and started over when I saw it was going to be too big with the needles I was using. It was a pattern my dd sent me from the diy show on tv called Knitty Gritty. The hat was knit in one piece, well actually two pieces, as I knit the first earflap and put it on holders, knit the second one, then left it on the needle, cast on stitches, knit the second earflap onto the needle then cast on stitches for the front of the hat. It was knit in the round on circs, but I have found that I have much better time if I start the project on straight then transfer to the circs and my stitches never get twisted this way.

We are going to pack this weekend to go to Indiana and be as ready as possible when Jay calls us. We sure would like to beat the stork if we can so I am going to email him with instructions on when to call, if her water breaks, call, if she is steady and having contractions 10 minutes apart, call, etc. I can see him calling us when she is already at the hospital pushing and I at least want a fighting chance to get up there.

Well, I am going to do morning chores and knit until Jack gets up. He has blood work that has to be done this morning so he is going into work late.

Have a good Friday and a great weekend!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I am doing the "happy it is Friday" dance! The weather is nice, but today was another long and boring day at school. Everyone is more than ready for it to be over with. Still no doll stroller in sight, so guess I will have to make a WM run and do a Plan B; that makes me growly beyond words.

"Gma" -- I've decided that some family members simply have no clue! The one nephew that Jason was close to, never invited us to his wedding and his was the one we would have made an attempt to go to. MIL blamed it on the bride saying that she figured we wouldn't come from so far away and the reception place was small and could only hold so many people. I hope you get the gift situation settled with your sister. Knitting the hat sounds confusing to me! I bet it will be cute when you are finished with it. You are going great guns with all of your knitting projects. It will be interesting to see who wins the race . . . you or the stork!

Bob is home and we are going to look for some more flowers to plant for his mom when she gets back here. Have a nice evening and an enjoyable weekend.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote