Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 12:12 PM   #1  

Default a cpl. of ? about SB!

I am new to this site and SB but have lost weight on Somersizing then came to a standstill until switching over to SB. I lost a few more lbs. recently! I have 15 more to lose to reach my goal.

I have to use some medications and have hypothyroidism which makes it a slow loss, I believe.

My questions are:

How do you count bean=legumes? starchy carbs,starchy vegetable, protein? Does eating them frequently slow your weight loss? It is alright to flavor with protein or fat isn't it?

and:

I see in the ckbk.(pg. 24) that fructose is allowed(crystalline not the high corn syrup type) do any of you use it sucessfully? It is lower carb/caloried/and the glycemic level is lower than table sugar, but of course higher than artificial sweeteners or stevia.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:44 PM   #2  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

rosecal

{{{{{{{WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE CORNER OF THE BOARD}}}}}}

Won't you please join us on your weekly board? Your questions will be better answered there.

As for the leggumes...it depends on the person how the body accepts them. I eat them as protein..JUST REMEMBER Sugar Busters IS NOT A LOW CARB DIET nor do we play one on t.v.

Not too many of us here on this board use fructose...we use AGAVE NECTER, SPLENDA etc...

Come on over to the weekly board and give us a try...

BOB
Old 09-29-2001, 05:51 PM   #3  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Like BOB said, WELCOME TO THE SB BOARDS!!!

Personally, I count beans more as a protein than one of my starchy carbs. I keep track of my calories along with protein, carbs and fats, so I keep everything within a certain range anyhow.

Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to find a fructose that's not made from corn these days. Like BOB said, most of us use agave syrup/nectar, which is what I use. I don't care for Splenda. I use Stevia if I need to sweeten a drink.

Congrats on getting near your goal, 15lbs is not much more to go I read SS books and chose SB because I knew I would keep up with the food combining, nor that I wasn't allowed to have peanuts, olives, avocado-some of those funky foods.

Again, like BOB said, we'd love to have you join us on the regular weekly board. Just remember, when you want to reply to the board, hit NEW REPLY, not new thread. Don't hesitate to ask us any questions you may have

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 09-29-2001, 10:34 PM   #4  

Default more questions

I am sorry if I posted wrong. Where is this bd. you are speaking of? Do you only want people to post wkly? I was looking for some help in confirming things about SB's WOE. Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this, and I am in the wrong bd. This is so different from other bds. I haven't seen many instructions, I guess I am not looking in the right place.

Also have any of the authors of SB ever explained in chats, interviews, or bks. why they say fructose is good to have in your pantry? They all reside in the US and as Debelli stated most is made from corn basically and some fruit I suppose. I have managed to lose using it occasionally and do not find it causes sugar cravings.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:39 AM   #5  

Rosecal

Welcome to the Sugar Busters board.

To get to the weekly thread go to the SB page and click on SB WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD. This is the one which is just below the thread that you started. (At least that's where it is now. It could move up as the thread with the latest post is taken to the top of the list.) A new thread is started every Monday. When you want to post, go to the bottom of the page and click on NEW REPLY - NOT New Thread. You can post as many times a day/week as you wish. Some of us post maybe once a week, other times two or three times a day, depending how chatty we feel.

I use fructose occasionally and don't have any problem with it. I may be the only one on this board that uses it but I don't like any of the artificial sweeteners. Some of the crystalline fructose is made from high fructose corn syrup. It is very hard to find any made from fruit. I have just started using Agave Nectar so will be using that in future for any baking. If you go to the Sugar Busters website you will find some interviews that were done with the doctors who wrote the book but I don't recall what was said about fructose. Here's the link:
http://www.sugarbusters.com/sbfiles/questions.html

Usually when I have beans or legumes I have it as part of a vegetarian meal and count it as a protein. It's o.k. too to add other protein to them if you wish. Eating them frequently shouldn't hinder weight loss, depending on your total intake of course.

Hope to see you on the weekly board.

Marie.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:57 AM   #6  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

ROSECAL, don't apologize, you didn't post wrong at all! You may have intentionally posted your question as a new thread, there's nothing wrong with that in the least, but most people don't know the difference between NEW REPLY and NEW THREAD and mean to post their questions on our SB WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD instead of starting a new thread. Most of the gals head straight for the WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD and may miss your post, so that's why we say to try and put it on the WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD, so all the gals can see it

Like ROSALIE mentioned, we start a new SB WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD each Monday, but here's a link to the board that ends today:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9653

There are instructions in the very first post as ROSALIE mentioned as well.

As for the authors of SB, personally, I don't think they know many answers to our questions, a reason they don't ever seem to appear on their own SB board. My belief is, they took information from elsewhere, like Michael Montignac's book and just made their own version for the US, without doing much of their own research. There are man discrepancies they have in the book, but the overall concept is good.

As for fructose, I've never used it, so can't comment much on it, but if you have no trouble with it, and use it in small moderation, by all means, continue using it

Feel free to come join us on the weekly board. Don't hesitate to ask any and all questions, this is how we've all learned how to live well on this WOE-it's a total learning experience.

Debbie
194/121/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 10-08-2001, 08:53 PM   #7  

Thumbs down At a Standstill

large It has been a long time since I have asked help of you. No matter how I try, the scales remain the same.
If I stick right to the WOE, no change. If I cheat, no change.
Wondered if my scales were broken. Tried weighing at a different time (fully clothed) then I got a different weight. So apparently, it isn't the scales I can blame. Any suggestions to get me out of this slump, will be so appreciated. I started WOE on May 13th and have only lost 9 pounds. Help! And thanks.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:35 AM   #8  

Angry Newbie

Roscal,
I am also a newbie to the Sugar Buster diet plan. Maybe we can help each other get started and win the battle of the bulge for good. I have the book and also the shopping guide. So if I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask. You can e-mail me anytime. My e-mail address is
[email protected]
Closed Thread