Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Toni, congrats to your DH on his great loss. Sure wish we women would lose like that. Hang in there, the 2nd week is hard, but you can do it.

Monet, sorry you feel so poorly. I sure hope some rest and soup help.

thin, great bargains! Plus I'm sure it helped the attitudes too.

Talitha, good idea. Keep busy and you won't even know that bugger hasn't arrived. haha.

It's hot here, but it's hot everywhere. 97 today and it's already 94 and it not 8:00 yet. I love it, but then, I work inside in a/c. Off to the gym tonight.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #17  
Addicted to potato salad!

Okay...summer really stinks to be on a way of eating that doesn't involve enriched flour, potatoes and unhealthy snacks. This weekend, we took out the boat and I stopped at the store for the same type snacks we had when I was a kid...assorted cans of soda (black cherry, cream soda, root beer - the good stuff), doritos and chips, etc. I'm thinking, this is the stuff of summer and who cares if we take a day or two to just let it all hang out and be bad, right? After all, when I was camping in the summer as a kid, our cooler was packed with this stuff. Well, it was a great day in the sun and we all had such a great time...but then, just out of curiosity, I peeked at the label of the root beer my son was drinking...45g of sugar!! Woohoo!! No wonder they were having so much fun!! I think I'll change tradition next time and get flavored water instead. Wow....no wonder diabetes runs in my family!! Such an innocent looking can of soda...not one redeeming quality other than sentimental value. Gawd. Or maybe I can find the diet versions.

Anyhow....yesterday was a really yucky day for me with Kyle. He's started with having melt downs galore!! He's been getting a bit of exposure to some crappy kids that are bad, bad, bad and getting ideas that have landed him in many, many time-outs. I used to hate time-outs...I always thought they were dumb...but I've been watching Super Nanny and started using them at home and I have to tell ya...they work like a charm if you do it right....So, we had about 593 melt downs and bad behavior moments yesterday and I was physically and mentally exhausted by the end of the day. Gawd. It makes me nervous because he's learned these bad things from kids he's been around lately, like my next door neighbor's three-year-old son and my cousin's six-year-old son. I hope he doesn't lock on to some bad kid in kindergarden and get a reputation of being a bad kid. I just sat down and had a long talk with him about bad boys and good boys and the things that good boys get to do and how they get taken away from bad boys...like yesterday, he lost going to grandma's house swimming at the beach. Bad boys don't get to go to grandma's house, but good boys do. So, today, I told him it's a new day and let's start from scratch doing as he's told and no crying, pouting or defiance and we'll go to grandma's...one episode and we'll be locked in with the AC again.

Okay...so...

Monet: Not much is worse than a summer cold. Hope the chicken noodle helps...

Talitha: Aaahhh...Murphy's Law. Works every time. I used it when I got rid of my size 10 clothes when I was about size 18...now I'm a snug 12!! Pretty soon, I'll need those size 10's and now I'm just going to have to buy new ones!!

Thin: Thanks for the tip!! I'm off to Kohl's today!!

Gotta run...my keyboard just made a sign that the battery is critically low...it may shut off at any time...(it's wireless)...don't know where there are any batteries...talk to you guys later on!!

Kris
Old 07-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #18  

Hey, Everyone! I never did go get the soup. Instead, I crawled in bed and ended up sleeping 2.5 more hours. That helped more than soup, I bet. I just finished breakfast..a two egg frittata with onions...and I am drinking a cup of Tangerine Orange Zinger tea. My throat is still on fire, but I think it is better.

TECH: Look at the ingredients in those sodas, and you will see they are mainly water and high fructose corn syrup! No wonder this country is getting so fat! I am with you...change the tradition! Why not get water bottles and make an iced tea and stuff the cooler with them? Or even fruit juices. No reason why you can not come up with healthy alternatives that your kids will look back on and remember.

SOLLY: I feel like such a slug, but the heat has driven me indoors too. If I felt better, I might go to the big outlet mall to walk, instead of trying to walk in the neighborhood. Last night, I stepped into the pool onto the top step,and almost cried! The coolness is almost gone and its going to be like bathwater in a few days. I am not even up for water aerobics. By the time I am, I am going to have to buy a couple blocks of ice to cool the pool off!

Later!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #19  

Good morning.... Eeeekkk its almost noon and I just had my shredded wheat and 1/2 banana for breakfast. Think I'll thaw out some salmon for dinner tonight with the rest of my asparagus. I walked this morning on the TM and now I've got to get busy with some laundry etc.

Monet- I'm so sorry you're still sick. Glad you're getting some rest.

Techwife- You make me remember those child rearing days. How hard they were but how much I miss them. Wish I would have taught my kids to eat better. You're lucky you have a chance with yours.

Solly- Hope you stay in and keep cool at work. Its blazing hot here too!

Talitha- Thats the way.. LOL work that baby out....

Thin- Way to go on the sales at Kohls. I got to go for my birthday and found the best buys. I love that store...

Well off to do my chores.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Just a quick hello!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #21  

Hi all from 107 degrees in Wichita Ks

I had a training meeting today that wasn't too bad but still I was glad to get home and enjoy doing nothing.

Dinner was grilled chicken breast (marinated in buttermilk) over a black bean/avocado salad and greens. ww tortillas and peach ice tea. Really summery!!

I'm off tomorrow then work Thursday and Friday and then we leave for San Antonio Saturday morning. Should be back next Friday.
Somehow the cats know they will be boarded at the vets because they are being extra friendly to make me feel guilty...

Hope you are feeling better Monet.

Talitha I don't have as much energy as you and I'm not pregnant!

ttyl, KayeC
Old 07-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #22  

Just flying by on my way to bed. I really have been ill tonight. I have had horrible heartburn. I mentioned it to Tom, and he reminded me that HE had heartburn on Sunday...so it is part of this virus. Its a nasty one! I actually had a glass of hot tang to soothe my throat. It helped some. I am drinking a cup of hot sleepytime tea and will crawl in bed when I am done.

Good night all! I hope I am feeling a lot better tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #23  

Well, I only got 1 lb of blueberries yesterday, but it was fun. I jsut had a handful in my smoothie I swam at Mom's and then we took the kids to see Ice AGe II at the dollar theater. It wa a fun day.

TOday I'm off to water aerobics and then the Zoo. This kid better come before I get too worn out!!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #24  

Morning! I woke up at 5, and couldn't sleep. I eventually got up and wandered around. Then went back to bed after breakfast, and slept another hour. I feel worse today. In addition to the sore throat, the congestion has gotten much worse... I am afraid to take any OTC cold remedies...most are full of sugar or high fructose corn syrup...

TALITHA: Please don't over do it!

Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #25  

Psyched!! SO PSYCHED!! I was looking through the kids school website and found a job posting for Middle School Moderator....which is the new term for Lunch Lady!! JUST the job I was looking for!! So, I called the principal and she said to bring my resume in right away and she'll put me on the list for people to be called for interviews. My mom says from my resume, that I'm over qualified...but I told her I'm only trying to follow in her footsteps as a Lunch Lady, because SHE was MY Lunch Lady when I was a kid. Anyhow...this would give me an hour or so after Kyle goes to school to get ready to go to work and pick up the house, then after I get home, I can take out Junior for a long walk before picking up Kyle from school. And how cool will it be to torment Shelley during lunch and get PAID for it!! And it'll also be nice for Kyle when he comes down the middle school pike to know that he'll have mom to see at lunch time. So, I drop off my resume, cover letter, reference list and application today. Can hardly wait!!

Okay...off to get some food. Just about time for lunch.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies,

Made it to the gym last night. Boy was I sweating. Got home, did dinner, cleaned up that mess, fixed spaghetti sauce for tonight, fixed 3 lunches and ironed 2 pieces, and finally go to set down around 9:00. Phew! I was whipped.

Monet, sorry you are still feeling so bad. How long does this thing last? Did Tom take anything for his? Feel better.

Tech, Keeping my fingers crossed that you get the job. My kids would probably be embarrassed for their mom to be at school, especially the middle school age. Good luck. Is Kyle doing better today? Probably the age thingy.

Talitha, You had a very busy day. Isn't it awlfully hot to go to the zoo? Be careful and don't over-do.

KayeC. I went to San Antonio when I was in the 12th grade. That was long ago. I hear it is so nice now with the River walk and all. I would love to go again. Have a great trip.

Toni, you are doing great with the and your eating. Way to go girl.

Heart, you must be busy. Hope you are staying on track.

Time for lunch. Have a great day.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #27  

Just a fly by. I am still alive. This sure is a nasty bug. SOLLY- Tom was sick with it for four or five days. He took Nyquil and Coldeze, but I can't take them due to my meds, and diabetes.

KAYE: Do have fun in San Antonio! My sister in law lived there, and we visited. I thought it was a lovely city..though hot! Remember the Alamo! (I always wanted to say that!)

Off to rest some more!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #28  

TECH: Good luck on the job! I got a call this morning from my school, and I am getting closer and closer to NOT going back! They tell me I have to teach off a cart! What a royal PAIN.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #29  

Jsut woke up from a nap to find that we all need new toothbrushes. Selah didn't flush the toilet, and Jacob was in there stirring it up with all of our toothbrushes!!!! YUCK!!!!

I did my water aerobics, and We spent about 2 hours at the Zoo. It was certainly hot, but I drank tons of water, walked very slow and made sure to spend extra time in the air conditioned exhibits.

So, since everyone is up from their nap...ahem.. I guess I should go to Walmart and buy some toothbrushes... sigh....

Monet- Get some Ellderberry Extract form the healthfood store. I swear it will help!!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #30  

Talitha: That is so gross...Reminds me of when Kyle came out of the bathroom with wet black playdoh. I didn't know it was playdoh, coming from the toilet!! 'Course, it didn't take long to recognize that playdoh aroma...thank Gawd!

Monet: I can't imagine teaching from a CART? What does that mean? You have to bring in all your stuff in a box, like a traveling art teacher? Have crayons, will travel? Cripes...that's nuts!

Solly: Phew! What a day you had!! I'm actually looking forward to embarassing Shelley in school. I won't do anything weird, like sing Kelly Clarkson songs on the karaoke machine on activity night, but I will be glad to make up for lost time, that's for sure.

Kaye: Have fun in San Antonio!

Laurie: Hi!

Well, I dropped off my resume, etc....to the school. The woman in the office said they have only had two calls on the job so far and one was me! I hope I get the job....say a prayer for me!! Off to watch the talent show!!

Kris
Closed Thread