Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #61  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

HEY EVERYONE!!!!

I'm here, but no time to post today...will get on here tomorrow afternoon and explain why I've been so quiet this week!
Love and hugs to each and all!

BOB
Old 08-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #62  

Just a quick fly by... I had a meeting at church tonight, so I had to rush through making Tom's smoothies, and lunch. Thankfully, Laura decided to treat the boys and herself to dinner to celebrate her huge paycheck. I missed out! Maybe I can talk her into taking me out for lunch one day next week! I have been knitting and am half way through one dishcloth. Its cute. I got a variegated red, green and white for Christmas.

Dinner tonight was on the fly: A handful of cashews, almonds and pecans mixed, one cucumber, one organic chicken sausage cooked in fresh tomatoes, a handful of cherry tomatoes. I am starving right now, but its too late to eat anything, so I will just go to bed hungry and hope the scale rewards me!

Sweet dreams everyone!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #63  

I like this new school calendar. My husband gets four weeks of vacation a year and cannot take it all in the summer. He is lucky to get one during the time we were out. Now he will be able to have a better chioce of when to take off. We are planning to go to Florida during our week in September, barring any hurricanes! If we can't go there then we will go visit my mom on the Atlantic side again. Either way we will hit the beach somewhere!
I am an elementary school nurse and I work 8am-2pm. Both of my kids are in middle school, but I am able to run them to band practice, dance or whatever. Our school superintendent says that he will not go to year round school. He wants to save some summer for four weeks of summer school and so those who go also have a break before we start the new year.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #64  
Little Engine That Could

Well, I got all the conserve made (for now) and all the jars I owned are now filled with it. I ended up with 34 quarts and about 8 pints and half pints, which I probably will give away as little gifts. I have about 18 peaches left and about 20 apples, which would make another full batch of 9 quarts, but since I don't have any more jars, and no more room to store it, I'm thinking about making the batch and freezing it in quart bags. I debated about just eating the peaches fresh, but I already had 14 of them in the fridge for eating on cereal, etc, and the conserve is so addictive that I think I'll go ahead and just use all the apples and peaches in one last batch. Probably will do that Sunday afternoon.

Monet--There is a slim chance I may get up to Hotlanta September 27 and stay for a couple of days. My DH is taking a course up there, at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead. Maybe we can get together during the day if I end up coming. The course starts Monday, but I probably wouldn't come up until Tuesday afternoon. The course goes through Wed. and we'd come home Thurs. morning.

Food today:
Breakfast: Shredded wheat with one fresh peach, skimmed milk.
Lunch: 1 sl. SGWW bread with 1.5 oz. melted fontina cheese. Small spinach salad, about 1/2 cup peach conserve.
Dinner: WW spaghetti with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce (with meat) and 2 T. grated cheese. another 1/2 cup peach conserve. (See, it's addictive)
Probably not enough protein today, but plenty of dairy. This was about 1100 calories. I am not going to bed hungry as the spaghetti was very satisfying.
I did not get my 10000 steps today because I was on my feet all day in the kitchen, save for the time I was getting my hair cut. I had the spinach salad at the luncheon that I dropped by to say goodby to the honoree. They had all kinds of goodies: small chocolate cream tarts with whipped cream, a delicious pineapple upside-down cake (one of my favs), all kinds of yummy sandwiches, chips, etc. But I stuck to the salad and just a bit of the conserve, which I brought.

Tomorrow is my second time at the new workout place with the new trainer. I actually was a little sore around the torso/ribs area, and also in the "glutes". I did a rotary exercise on Tuesday there that was very hard and then about 50 reps on the leg press machine until it finally got hard to do. So that is why I'm sore. I think tomorrow will probably be an upper body day.

Pancho--I think that is so funny that you thought BOB was a guy. I can see how that could happen. Maybe BOB should be B.O.B. But that's too hard to type. I'm happy for you on getting to the gym. Doesn't it make you feel better!

Cindy--We miss you and hope you are doing OK.

Thin--Keep hangin in there. You can do it.

Country--Congrats on doing a good job with your eating. See how great it is to be back here. Good things happen!

Teensy--We miss you and hope you are doing OK.

Well, it's gettin on to 11 so I'd better sign off.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Checking in...the good news...another OP day done, the bad news...I've had more than my share of salt today and it's already starting to show(angry sigh), my eyes look a little puffy(and it's not even the next day yet) and although I've had 3 or 4 glasses of water since eating supper, I haven't peed! Not good. I would hate to see a gain right now, especially with barely being in the 160's(169). I ended up eating 2 plates at supper, which just added to the salt situation, but it was sooo good. My beans were awesome, tasted soooo illegal, but weren't and my coleslaw was just right(kinda sweet but tart), the fish, well I guess it was okay just too fishy,lol.

Jack-k- I already have a couple pairs of pants sitting on my quilt rack in my bedroom as a reminder. Even though I might see a fluid gain tomorrow, I'm not going to let it sabatoge what I'm doing here, I'll have to keep reminding myself that it's only fluid and will come off with another fat loss.

Check in tomorrow..
Old 08-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #66  

Hi all. Sorry Im lagging again. My sister arrived Wed from Colorado and weve really been on the run since she got here. Im sure things will be hectic up until Sunday night. Wed night we stayed up until 1:30 am working on a huge poster of pictures of my dads life ( friends, hobbies, family and such). We also decorated 3 memories books for people to write in and filled two small photos albums. Yesterday we went through more paperwork of Dads, drove down to the place thats holding the ceremony on Sunday and talked with them, came back and my sister started working on producing some more of dads Cds that we will have out on Sunday and I working on more paperwork. Today will be about the same. We have people arriving from out of town starting tomorrow so Ill be running like crazy then Sunday will be just a blurr Im sure. So maybe next Monday my life can get back to somewhat normal and I can get back to my routine.

The good thing is Ive gotton my exercise in , maybe not as many days as I did before but Ive added the gym in there and actually got more intense workouts but fewer of them. We have gone out to eat way too many times just for lack of being at home and on the run but Im proud to say I hit a new low this morning ( only 1/2 pound loss but Im claiming it).
So everything is actually going pretty good. Im doing much better at handling my loss of my dad. Its getting easier each day. Now I can have my memories and smile instead of cry.

I havnt had time to read the board for a week or so ,, so I hope everyone is doing well ! (((hugs)))
Old 08-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #67  

Good Morning! I peeked at the scale this morning...looks good! I was back down to my last low point, and I usually weigh even less later in the morning, so I feel encouraged. I am probably eating a lot less, since I am not eating snacks, but my meals are the same. I will be increasing the amount I eat at meals to balance it and to try and keep from getting too hungry between meals. I slept better last night too, so overall, I feel like there is something good for me in the principles of this book. Unfortunately, my back still is bothering me. Otherwise, I think I would feel pretty good.

CINDY: Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how you were! I hope the ceremony on Sunday goes well.

GATOR: If you come up here, let me know. I will drive down to Buckhead and pick you up and we can go play. Want to see the DeKalb Farmer's Market? Its not too far from there.... Right now, I don't know any reason why we might be out of town. Since you don't have room for all that conserve, make sure you bring a few quarts with you to Atlanta....

HEART: Have you ever tried an herbal diuretic? I wonder if that might help your water retention. You ought to stay off the scale since you know it will be up and just frustrate you anyway...put the $&$^ thing in the closet for a week....

THIN: I wondered about summer school...what do systems do that are year round? I guess if a kid fails, there is not opportunity to make it up in the summer! I took classes in summer school for fun a few times. They offered extra art classes and stuff. I remember taking a drama class, which was fun, if not a bit over my head. (I think I was the youngest kid in there) How are your kids liking school this year?

Time for me to make some espresso! Be back later!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:50 AM   #68  

Oh, today is my volunteer day at the church office, then I am meeting a young woman from church for lunch (I will have salad) so it will be later this afternoon before I can get back, probably! Forgot all about it being Friday! (duh!)
Old 08-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #69  

I have time to hop on here again, and post my breakfast: a smoothie made with 1 cup water, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup fat free ricotta, 1.5 scoops whey protein, 1 T sweet almond oil, 2 T cocoa. (it actually was really good!) Espresso with cream.

Later!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Friday

I am really dragging and no too sure I am looking forward to the weekend. We went out to DD house last night (40 minute drive) and started packing. After much discussion we have decided to move them on Sunday instead of next Saturday since SIL will be on-call at work. So tomorrow we will head back out there and pack up what we can and Sunday move most of it to storage.

Tonight we are going to SIL's parents for dinner for his birthday. I think we are having steak. I heard broccoli casserole and potato casserole. Hope there is a salad somewhere in there. I will pass on the cake for sure. I wish I had time to get out to Sam's (like Costco) and get some BBQ that is legal to take out there, but there is no time. Around 9 or so tonight we have to meet some friends and their son. It is his 21st birthday and he wants to start out celebrating with the adults at some bar. Then we will go to the Elks CLub. It is karoke night.

bf: protein bar, coffee
snack: clementine
lunch: tuna, SB crackers, clementine
Dinner: steak ......

Gator, sounds like you have a olot of feet problems too. The problem with that is you have to walk and it hurts. Nothing worse than your feet hurting. I thought your conserve was like jelly to spread on bread. I see my your menu you are just eating it as is????

County, you said eating has been light, what are you doing? Glad it is working for you.

Nat, way to get back on the exercise road. I think I may have to switch my TM until the evening since my foot seems to bothe me less as the day goes on. But it is hard to get it in at night with dinner and other things popping up all the time.

Thin you have a good job for a mom with kids. I think kids need time off in the summer, that's why I like the modified schedule. Hope all those sick kiddos don't give that stuff to you.

Teensy, hope things are ok with you and yours.

Laurie, that's the ole attitude. Good way of thinking. Can't let that stupid scale ruin all your good work. Have a good OP weekend.

Cindy, so glad you are doing better. Time is a healer of many things. Enjoy your family this weekend. Congrats on the loss and getting in your exercise.

Monet, on the loss. It seems this is working for you. I'm glad.

Bob, hope nothing is wrong.

Be back later. Things are slow here today.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #71  
Addicted to potato salad!

Hi guys. Just checking in briefly. I've been eating like a ...taking a really long break from watching what I eat. I won't get into my menu...but what I wanted to mention is the good news is that I haven't gained any weight! I haven't lost any, either, but why I'm mentioning it is that I'm confident that when I go back to losing after the kids go back to school and summer picnics are over, when I get to my goal, I'm really sure I won't gain the weight back. I mean, I'm not planning on eating pie every day, but being sensible. I didn't even want to mention this on here because some of us are having a hard time with gaining when they're dieting like crazy here I am saying, "oh...I'm eating like a pig and not gaining any weight..." BUT, this weight gain of mine a few years ago has played such a huge role in my lack of confidence, it's ruined my sex life (because I don't feel sexy enough to have sex) with my husband, and there've been times I won't go out in public because I think I'm too fat. BUT, now that I've lost the 25 I've lost and am half way to my goal...I'm eating 'normally', like occasionally having white bread or potato salad or a bowl of illegal ice cream...and the fact that I'm not gaining it back has been a test of mine, of sorts, to see if the weight is truly off for good...kind of like sniffing someone elses cigarette smoke after quitting to see if you still crave it or if it makes you sick, telling you that you are truly a non-smoker. So, this tells me that my weight gain in the late 90's was truly caused by stress and that it's gone for good. Does that make sense? I just keep weighing myself every single day to be sure I don't go past 160. And I haven't! Someone also told me that this isn't a bad thing, either to let my metabolism get used to my new weight before I lose the last 25 to my goal.

Just a couple more weeks of being 'bad' and then I'm going to go Atkins Phase 1 for a week to jump start my diet and to go 'cold turkey' on the empty/bad carbs. A little ketosis never hurt anyone for a short span...then it's back to Sugar Bustin!!

Okay...off to wash breakfast dishes. I'm bound and determined to play some games with my kids today. It's been oppressively hot for weeks on end here. I cannot stand it. But today it's 74, the air is clear and there is a glorious breeze coming in off the lake/river. My mom invited the kids to stay over tonight, so I'll be getting out the blender again for pina colada with my hubby! He's been out of town in VT for so many weeks this summer...it's so nice when he's home!! He told me he'll take me out to dinner. I'm pushing for Red Lobster...we'll see where he feels comfortable...he doesn't really like going out for dinner.

TTFN!! Kris
Old 08-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #72  
Little Engine That Could

Well, I got on the scale this morning again, as I've been wanting to see how I would do with those 3 pounds I gained on my trip last week. Happy to say that I am now back to where I was before we left.

Monet--I'll be happy to bring some conserve if I come.
So is it true that his 5 key steps are to l. not snack, 2. exercise 3. eat breakfast, 4. don't eat sugar and junk food, and 5. I forget. (Maybe something to do with protein)?

Jackie--No, the conserve is like very chunky applesauce. The peaches are in chunks and because I leave the skins on the apples, they are more chunky also. Some of the apples cook down and there is a smooth applesauce-like consistency that holds the chunks of apples and peaches together. The chunks are very tender. The peaches I used were very tart-sweet, and the Granny Smith apples were also tart/sweet, so I added about 1/3 cup Splenda to the 12 quart mixture in the pot and added about 1 T. of nutmeg to the mixture too. That flavored it just perfectly, and it tastes rich and sweet with just the right amount of tartness. It's perfect just served cold by itself, maybe as a dessert or perhaps as a side dish. I am guessing that it is about 50 calories per 1/2 cup, just like unsweetened applesauce. It probably has more fiber than applesauce, because of the apple skins.

I'm having my DS and his "family" (live in GF and her 2 kids) over for dinner to celebrate the start of school next Monday. Sort of a party for the kids, as we are trying to be so nice to their mother and our son. So, the menu is: ta da
Hamburgers on the grill on regular hamburger buns, with all the trimmings
Potato chips
Baked beans
Fresh peach shortcake, with ice cream and Cool whip and biscuits as the "cake"
That is a SB nightmare! I am gonna make sure my hamburger is legal, on SGWW bread, and will have a small salad for myself. I will eat the fresh peaches, but I LOVE!!!!! shortcake. I'm gonna have to think about that one and mull it over to see how I will handle that. Any suggestions for having a LEGAL shortcake??

I'm gonna go walk now. It is 10:30 and hot, but I want to get my steps in and this is the time I have.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #73  
Addicted to potato salad!

O....M......G..... I'm having the most fabulous sandwich I've ever had (well, there was that Rueben sandwich in Tupper Lake... )...I'm only telling you guys about it because it's legal, legal, legal. Suddenly, my tomato plants have been pumping out red-orange tomatoes to beat the band...so I just made a tomato sandwich on sourdough bread and two slices of london broil roast beef (from the deli) and low cal mayo. I don't know what it is about this sandwich, but it is soooo good. The combo of the tomato, beef and twang of the sourdough..everything is playing together beautifully. Darn...I wish I could have home-grown tomatoes all year!!

Kris
Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #74  

Good Morning everyone:

I am doing piles of laundry....how does it add up so fast? . That reminds me of an e-mail I rec'd that I will put in a separate post, so this one is not too long. We have nothing to do today until tumbling, so I will do laundry and clean up the house; the toilets really need cleaning, but I keep putting that one off.

I am also gathering up some stuff to take to a local food bank. The St. Mary's food bank here lost a lot of food due to storm damage earlier in the week.....they got a huge hole in the roof and rain flooded in and destroyed a lot of their inventory. I sent an e-mail to all the moms in my Mom's Club to try to get a sizeable donation to take there.

I was at 123# this morning, so I've gotta get back on the eating right bandwagon. I am going to keep up with the exercise as well, now that I am back on track.

My DH and I are going out on Saturday. It has been thirteen years since we went on our first date back on August 7, 1992 after meeting at the gym. I'm not sure what we will do, probably just go out to dinner or something....I'm hoping for PF Changs.

BOB: Hope all is fine!!

Thin: I'm sure you'll get spoiled with that school schedule. What a nice job for you to have with young children; how ideal!

Gator: Wow, you have been busy. What a nice gift idea. I think BOB should just change name to BOBO; that is how I always type it in when I am doing replies . It feels great getting back to the gym, and I am not as sore as I thought I'd be. I'm glad you have dropped that vacation weight; way to go. I say, if you are good all day and eat an otherwise SB meal...then have a small slice of cake with your fresh peaches sliced up on it.

Heart: Fish taste too fishy? Why I have never heard of such a thing! Your dinner sounds good. Sorry you are so puffy. Stay away from the scale until MMM. AND, be a good girl this weekend!! Maybe we can get some motivation going for the weekend....maybe give ourselves a $ in a jar for each day we are good over the weekend, and then after a few months, we can go buy a little something for ourselves. OR, we can get real competitive on here....any ideas?

Cindy: Take the time that you need! We have just been thinking about you and wondering how you've been holding up. Glad you have your sister here to help you with everything. Exercise is a great stress buster; glad you've been able to make time for it during these difficult times.

Monet: Good think you didn't eat anymore last night; it paid off on the scale today. Have a great day and a fun lunch. You stay so busy.

Jack: Gheez, you are one of the busiest social butterflies I "know." It's so hard to exercise at night...it's tough to get motivated anyhow, and then with all the distractions, it's not an easy task. BUT, you've gotta take care of that foot and do whatever you have to.

Tech: I hear what you are saying, and I understand...but trust me, it does eventually catch up to you. I have been maintaining my weight for over two years now, and I can eat whatever I want for weeks on end, and then one day I get on the scale, and I am waaay up; it's like it catches up overnight. I think that once you meet your goal, that you can have anything you want, in moderation. I think moderation is the key. I don't NOT let myself have anything that I want anymore. Although, when I first started this woe, I was 100% OP and didn't allow myself ANYTHING I shouldn't until I was very close to goal. I also weigh everyday, and once I see those numbers start to go up at all, I get right back on track. I've worked way too hard to let the weight come back on. I am sure that you gained the weight due to where you were in your life at the time. My weight gain was due to pregnancy, but didn't come right back off when the babies came. I was 152# 8 months after Lane was born, and knew it wasn't going to come off on its' own. I don't think I'd get back up to where I was before without getting preg. again. BUT, I do know that I could easily gain 5-10 pounds without too much effort. You also seem to be pretty active, and stay busy, and that helps keep the weight off as well. It's so nice that your kids stay with Grandma so you and DH can have some much needed quiet time together.

Gotta go check on laundry. I will post the e-mail that I got here in a minute.

Have a great OP day.
Nat
Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #75  

O.K. I know it is Friday Funnies....and this would be a better entry for Wonderful Wednesday....but I thought it would be a good way to start the weekend. I rec'd this on e-mail yesterday, and although the premise is simple, it is really something to think about on a daily basis.

I AM THANKFUL.....

For the wife who says it's hot dogs tonight, because she is home with me and not out with someone else.

For the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato, because he is home with me and not out at the bars.

For the teenager who is complaining about doing the dishes, because it means she is at home and not out on the streets.

For the taxes I pay, because it means I am employed.

For the mess to clean after a party, because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

For the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have enough to eat.

For my shadow that watches me work, because it means I am out in the sunshine.

For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.

For all the complaining I hear about the government, because it means we have freedom of speech.

For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I am capable of walking and I have been blessed with transportation.

For my Huge heating bill, because it means that I am warm.

For the lady behind me in church who sings off key, because it means I can hear.

For the pile of laundry and ironing, because it means I have clothes to wear.

For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means I have been capable of working hard.

For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means I am ALIVE!

And finally, for too much e-mail, because it means that I have friends who are thinking of me.

Have a great day!!!
Nat
Closed Thread